Collaborate with us to invoke and fully manifest Srila Prabhupada's Vani-presence.
Category:Prabhupada Speaks - Room Conversations, 1975
Pages in category "Prabhupada Speaks - Room Conversations, 1975"
The following 129 pages are in this category, out of 129 total.
- A person who is not Krsna conscious, or God conscious, he is basically a mad man and requires treatment
- According to Vedic civilization, "This eating is first class. This eating is second class. This eating is third class. This eating is fourth class." So many things required to correct the mistaken way of civilization. That is Krsna consciousness
- Actually, nothing is private property. That is our philosophy. Isavasyam idam sarvam (ISO 1): "Everything belongs to God." That's a fact. Under the influence of maya we are thinking that "This is my property."
- Alexander and the thief
- As far as I can gather, the self - no-self thing, Buddhism was denying that you're the atman, I think. Could you perhaps say something about that?
- As they have been trained up to rise early in the morning, this will give you spiritual strength. If you simply becomes a gramophone speaker, then it will not be effective. Gramophone or tape record speaker, that will not be. You must be live speaker
- At the last stage of my life, at the age of seventy years, I made an attempt that... Our predecessors, they wanted, and they wanted me also to do that. So my other Godbrothers they could not do very well. So let me try
- At the present moment, because you are not trained up to see Krsna, so Krsna kindly appears before you as you can see. You can see wood, stone. You cannot see what is spirit. Even you don't see yourself
- Base quality means kama, lusty desires, and greediness. In material world, generally they are under these base quality, means always filled up with lusty desires & not satisfied, greedy. So when we conquer over these base qualities, then we become happy
- Because the atma is within the body, if I pinch or if you pinch my body, I feel pains and pleasures. As soon as the atma is not there, it will be cut with a chopper, there is no protest
- Big sankirtana is book distribution and small sankirtana is with mrdanga. Big sankirtana is going on all over the world. Small sankirtana locally
- Brahmana does not go to construct big, big house. He simply constructs his character, and the other ksatriyas and vaisyas, they offer him, "Please come here and sit down"
- By desire you are creating everything. Why these material varieties? You desire. In the spiritual world also, varieties
- Can one say what qualities the atman has?
- Change is no rectification. If somebody is not working he should be trained up
- Coming back to this question of the western type of civilization, do you feel that the success of the movement in the western society is an indication of the need being felt by the western man that has been lacking in spiritual ideologies?
- Consciousness is the symptom of atma. Because the atma is within your body, therefore your consciousness is there
- End justifies the means. End is that everyone should have a Krsna literature. Doesn't matter what is the means. Because he has taken one Krsna literature, that justifies everything. This is the principle
- Enviousness is immediately disqualification of Vaisnava, immediate
- Even God has got this discrimination. There are bad elements. So if in God's mind there is good element, bad element... So we are part and parcel of God. We must have also the same sentiment. We cannot avoid it
- Everyone is prone to fall down. But that percentage is very low, say, one in five hundred. We have got about ten thousand students all over the world. Out of them, they have fallen about ten or, say, fifteen, that's all
- Everything can be used properly for peaceful condition, and when you become peaceful, no disturbance, then you can very happily chant Hare Krsna and your life becomes successful. This is our program. We don't want to stop anything
- Finally Swamiji, what is the relevance of Krsna consciousness in our modern society?
- First of all show your capacity that you have managed these two things very nicely. Why there should be complaint? How you can solve it? And why the temples should be maintained by collection of the BBT? It is meant for printing and constructing temples
- Fortunately, we had the good opportunity of learning bhagavata-dharma from our very childhood. My father was a devotee, and he trained us
- From the rice, heaps of rice, one scorpion, small scorpion, is coming. The fact is that the parent of the scorpion, they put their eggs within the rice and, being fermented, the scorpion comes out, not that from rice the scorpion is coming out
- God is all-attractive. Otherwise how He can be God? God cannot be attractive for you and not for me. This is very accurate word. God has no name. That's a fact. But we coin His name according to His dealings. Just like we call God Yasoda-nandana
- God is the whole, and we are parts, and we are evolving to integrate ourselves with that whole
- God will come and drive you away from your present pride, prestigious position, "Get out." So unless one is madman, he cannot say, "There is no God." Anyone who denies the existence of God, he is a madman
- Gradually we shall develop a society that all these unnecessary rubbish things should be rejected. That is the idea
- Growing, cultivating, producing, there will be not possibility of, and we don't want more than the necessity. If by God's grace we get more, then you can make sale, but we are not going to work for selling purpose
- He (God) is a nice master
- He has said that we have given the name Krsna to God, but actually there are so many names of God, that it doesn't matter what the name of God is
- He has understood from what he thinks is Indian philosophy that you cannot give God a name because that would be limiting God
- He says that because he doesn't know what the transcendence is, there's no value for him. It's only a name. He doesn't know why to look for it
- He's saying that he accepts that we can receive perfect knowledge, but then because I am imperfect I make an imperfect interpretation
- Hear and repeat, hear and repeat. You haven't got to manufacture. Any one of us, simply if you reproduce the purport which I have given in the Bhagavata, you become a good speaker
- How did the atman come into being?
- How does one become humble and remain humble?
- I am not presenting a God whimsically. I am presenting a God who is recognized. So why don't you accept? What is the difficulty?
- I will never die, I shall live for my books, and you will utilize
- I'm not very familiar with the Hindu scriptures, but I have read some Upanisads, and there's the idea that somehow atman is Brahman? I don't understand that at all, so perhaps you could say something about that?
- I'm still puzzled about the relationship of the soul to God. If the soul is eternal, as God is, and yet some souls have the tendency to fall and others don't have that tendency...
- If one is under this consciousness that "I am eternal. Why I am changing body? How to solve it?" that is intelligence. And not to work like cats and dogs and die. That is not intelligence
- If one wants to become a lawyer, he must learn laws which is given by the government. He cannot become a lawyer at home. Similarly, if you want to become religious, you must learn what is religion from God. You don't manufacture your own religion
- If the temple president doesn't understand it, teach him
- If there is one moon, that is sufficient. What is the use of millions of stars twinkling. So that is our propaganda. If one man can understand what is Krsna philosophy, then my preaching is successful, that's all
- If you make propaganda, if he's not ghost, you can make him ghost. This is propaganda. This is called propaganda. By propaganda you can establish a false thing as real. That's all. This is going on. They know how to do it. They're expert
- If you respect spiritual master as God, then you must offer him the facilities of God. Otherwise how you treat him as God? Simply in mind? In action also
- In Hindu philosophy, what is the nature of the atman?
- In other words, Srila Prabhupada, without practice of the method, it's very difficult to understand the philosophical concepts
- In the prison house there are some population, but they are not majority. The majority of the population, they're outside the prison house. Similarly, majority of living being, part & parcel of God, they are in the spiritual world. Only a few falls down
- In this institution, I am guru, and if everyone becomes guru, then who will carry out the order of guru? There must be disciple also, who will carry out the order of guru. So it is not required
- Is there medical science which can stop death? So that knowledge may be temporary, beneficial, but ultimately, it is not the knowledge. I am anxious for not dying. Nobody wants to die. This is my anxiety
- It comes to the conclusion of suppression, that "Give the dog a bad name and hang it." "You are not properly dressed; therefore you should stop it." It is like that
- It is called vrscika-tandula-nyaya. Vrscika means scorpion, and tandula means rice. So "Life is coming from matter" - this is called vrscika-tandula-nyaya
- It is called vrscika-tandula-nyaya. You know that? Vrscika-tandula-nyaya. Vrscika means scorpion, and tandula means rice. Sometimes we see some heaps of rice, the scorpion is coming. But that is not that the rice has given birth to the scorpion
- Karyam means "It is my duty. Doesn't matter what is the result. I must do it sincerely to my best capacity. Then I don't care for the result. Result is in Krsna's hand"
- Karyam means "It is my duty." That is real sannyasa. "Krsna wants that this Krsna consciousness movement must be spread. So this is my karyam. This is my duty. And the direction is my spiritual master. So I must do it." This is sannyasa
- Krsna consciousness is dormant in everyone's heart. So when he comes in contact with devotees, that is awakened
- Lazy foolish is foolish but he's lazy, he'll not do so harm. But the busy foolish he'll simply create harm. At the present the population is busy foolish. So we are creating lazy intelligent. An intelligent man must be lazy
- Let them say all nonsense. What can I say? Every nonsense will speak something nonsense. How can I check it? There are so many nonsenses; therefore we are trying to make all these nonsense into human beings. That is our program
- Life cannot come from matter. Besides that... Just like when there is life, living entity, the body grows, body changes or grows, as you say. But if the child is dead or come out dead, then the body does not grow. Then matter is growing on life
- Love means without any personal profit. If I love God for some profit, that is business; that is not love. Ahaituky apratihata. And such love of God cannot be checked by any material cause
- Muhammad says he is servant of God. Christ says he is son of God. And Krsna says, "I am God." So where is the difference? The son will say the same thing, the servant will say the same thing, and the father also will say the same thing
- My idea is to preach Krsna consciousness. Because for want of this knowledge, our mission of human life is failing all over the world. Therefore, I am trying to introduce this KC all over the world, without any distinction of caste, creed, color
- My life is simple. I was householder. I have still my wife, my children, my grandsons. My Guru Maharaja ordered me "Go & preach this cult in the Western countries." So I left everything on the order of my Guru Maharaja, & I am trying to execute the order
- My life? According to sastra, if we have actually developed Krsna consciousness, we are going to Krsna. I may not, but they will go
- Now some result is there because I am practically training them. And before me, all the swamis went there. They lectured, that's all. So what is the meaning of lectures unless you train them?
- Now the child is dead. Now you give some chemical injection and bring it into life. Why you cannot do that? If you cannot do that, then what is the nonsense, saying that some chemical is missing? If it is missing, you replace it. Why you cannot replace?
- Now the Krsna consciousness movement is going on in my presence. Now after my deparature, if you do not do this, then it is lost. If you go on as you are doing now, then it will go on
- On account of accepting this material body, there is always miserable condition. Therefore everyone requires the psychiatric treatment so that the mind may be transferred from matter to spirit soul. Then he will be cured. The disease is of the mind
- Others may violate the laws, and so many sinful activities they are doing, but nobody takes very serious care. But when a religious group or a sannyasi commits little offense, it is magnified a thousand times
- Our appeal is to everyone, every religious sect, that people are becoming godless generally at the present moment. So we should make combined effort to revive their God consciousness
- Our basic principle is pleasure. So whatever gives pleasure, we accept. That is natural. But in the material world, they take material pleasure, but we are for spiritual pleasure
- Our first problem is - because we have got this material body - eating. Everyone must eat. So Krsna says in the Bhagavad-gita, annad bhavanti bhutani (BG 3.14): "If there is sufficient food grains, then both man and animal, they become happy."
- Sanka dasa, you know, in Bombay? He was in the CIA. And they..., when he was in Vietnam, they knocked him out one day and they brought him to a dentist and they took out three of his teeth, and they put in these little transistors
- She can become equal with man. Spiritually advanced man and woman, they are equal. So long one is materially encaged, this is not possible
- She says that she sees it as a mantra, and from her point of view it seems like we're repeating this mantra over and over again, and it's something like hypnotism
- She's saying that Christ said that "I am the way"
- So far Krsna consciousness is concerned, we equally distribute. There is no such thing that "Oh, you are woman, less intelligent or more intelligent. Therefore you cannot come." We don't say that. We welcome women, men, poor, rich, everyone
- So far we are concerned, we shall live very simple life, simply in Krsna consciousness. That is brahmana
- So how to answer these questions?
- Sometimes people ask where Swami Prabhupada get his meanings for different words, because they would differ, they would disagree and pick some other word
- Spiritual master is the servant of God. He is not God, although he is respected like God
- Srila Prabhupada, if the knowledge was handed down by the saintly kings, evam parampara-praptam (BG 4.2), how is it that the knowledge was lost?
- Tandula means
- That atma is present within this body, that is understood by the presence of consciousness. Just like we are here in this room, but this light is the reflection of the sunshine. We understand there is sun in the sky
- That is the defect of Western civilization. Vox populi, taking opinion of the public. But what is the value of this public? Drunkards, smokers, meat-eaters, woman-hunters
- The atman, there is one to a person, or there is only one atman?
- The foolish Darwin's theories, they also claim that monkey is our forefather
- The person is the atman?
- The whole human society at the present moment, majority, they are godless, especially the Communist. They don't acknowledge. The scientist, the philosopher, the scholars - all godless. Scientists' special business is how to defy God
- These Oriental philosophies generally and in particular the Krsna consciousness has found a lot of devotees in the western civilization. What is the main reason for this?
- They also speak on Bhagavad-gita, but not a single person was Krsna conscious. And since we have presented Bhagavad-gita As It Is, hundreds and thousands. This is the proof, that they presented something concoction
- They say God's name should never be spoken out loud
- This is Krsna consciousness, that you remain in your position, but see whether by your discharge of duties you have pleased God. Then everything will be all right
- This kind of answer, that if I ask you that "You produce life from chemicals," and if you answer that "Yes, we shall do it in future," that is not very scientific answer. What do you think? Is that very scientific answer?
- This Krsna consciousness movement is meant for making things very simplified. Accept God, accept your position as God's servant and serve God. That's all, three words
- This Krsna consciousness movement is on the spiritual platform, above body, mind and intelligence. But actually, we should come to that platform, because we are spirit soul, we are neither this body nor this mind nor this intelligence
- This proof, that from life, life is coming, there is proof, so many proof. A man, animal, trees - everything is coming from life. Up till now, nobody has seen that a man is born from a stone. Nobody has seen
- To make the whole human society happy, this God consciousness movement must spread
- Unless one is person, how can I serve him? I cannot serve the air or the sky. I must serve a person. Love does not exist in the sky or in the air. It must be a person. Man or woman, it doesn't matter. Otherwise where there is love? Whom to love?
- Unless you change the society, how you can make social welfare? If you keep them as it is, then where is the question of welfare?
- We are not introducing caste system, that any rascal born in a brahmana family, he becomes a brahmana. We don't accept that. A man who is first-class trained up to become a brahmana, we accept him. It doesn't matter whether he is India, Europe or America
- We are training, we are advocating that illicit sex is sinful. Our first condition is that one must give up these four things: illicit sex, meat-eating, intoxication and gambling. This is my first condition before accepting. So they agree and they follow
- We instruct our children: "If you want to be educated in higher status of life, go to school, go to college, take lesson." That is human society. The dog's father will never ask the dog child, "Go to school." No. They are dogs
- We say everyone, "Come and eat." Why he should remain hungry? We invite everyone, "Come here, eat, no charge." We don't charge. Why he should remain hungry? Let us increase this program. All hungry men of Melbourne city, come here
- We say that when the life, living entity, is there in the semina and it is put into the woman's womb, then body develops. Therefore, the beginning is the life. This is practical. And this life is the part and parcel of the supreme life
- We should try very fast before the next death comes. And death will come. So we shall prepare in such a way that before the next death comes over, we finish our Krsna consciousness business and go back to home, back to Godhead
- We've been trying more and more, Srila Prabhupada, to make our techniques of distribution more honest and straightforward, not to cheat so much as some of these methods in the past
- When British rule came, their Lord Macaulay's private report was that "If you want to keep them as Indian Hindu, you will never be able to rule over." So it was British government's policy to condemn everything Indian
- When the soul misuses the independence, then he falls down. That is material life. Material life means misusing the independence of soul
- Where is the right balance in this modern world?
- Why did you choose to go to America and propagate the teachings of Lord Krsna in a western country?
- Why they cannot produce life from matter? What is the value of their statement? That they have not been able to do. Where is the proof that from matter life comes? You do it
- Why, a dead child born, it does not grow? What is the reason? What is your scientists' reason?
- Without Krsna consciousness, you will have simply rubbish desires. And when you are Krsna conscious, then you desire rightly
- Writing means sravanam kirtanam. Sravanam means hearing from the authority and again repeat it. This is our business, sravanam kirtanam visnoh, about Visnu, not for any politician or any other man
- Yes, that possibility is always there. But my proposal is that if you are not true Christian, then your preaching will not be effective. I don't say that now we are strictly following and we will not fall down in future. I don't say that
- You are going empty-handed. You came empty-handed and going empty-handed. You came with zero and you are going with zero. So whatever you have earned, that is zero
- You can eat meat, but you cannot eat meat by killing your father and mother. That is human sense. You are taking milk from the cow; it is your mother
- You have earned so much millions and billions of money. That's all right. But you have to go empty-handed. The money will remain here. You cannot take that money within the tomb. That is not possible. Then it is zero
- You may love humanity, but because you do not love Krsna, therefore you do not love the cows; you send them to slaughterhouse. So your love will remain defective. It will never be complete. And if you love Krsna, then you will love even the small ant
- You said that when I say, "I am," and when you say, "I am," they are different. But she understands that the essence of everyone is the same