Svarupa Damodara Gosvami
"Svarupa Damodara Gosvami" | "Svarupa Gosani" | "Purusottama Bhattacarya" | "Sri Damodara Svarupa"
- Svarūpa Dāmodara Gosvāmī, Svarūpa Gosāñī, PuruṢottama Bhaṭṭācārya, Śrī Dāmodara Svarūpa
This category has the following 3 subcategories, out of 3 total.
Pages in category "Svarupa Damodara Gosvami"
The following 203 pages are in this category, out of 203 total.
- Actually as a sannyasi he (Damodara Svarupa) should have been called Tirtha, but he chose to retain his original brahmacari title of Svarupa
- Advaita Acarya, Lord Nityananda, Srivasa Pandita, Gadadhara Pandita, Svarupa Damodara, Murari Gupta, Haridasa Thakura and all the other devotees of Sri Krsna Caitanya - bowing down with devotion, I (Krsnadasa Kaviraja) hold their lotus feet on my head
- After abandoning the dancing, the Lord ordered Svarupa Damodara to sing. Understanding His mind, Svarupa Damodara began to sing as follows
- After Raghunatha dasa had thus worshiped the govardhana-sila for some time, Svarupa Damodara one day spoke to him as follows
- After worshiping Nityananda Prabhu, Svarupa Damodara met Jagadananda, Mukunda, Sankara and Sarvabhauma, as was befitting
- Again He addressed Svarupa Damodara and Raya Ramananda, speaking despondently, "Alas! My friends, you can now know the certainty within My heart, and after knowing My heart you should judge whether I am correct or not. You can speak of this properly"
- All glories to Svarupa Damodara and Murari Gupta! All these brilliant moons have together dissipated the darkness of this material world
- Also in the Fourteenth Chapter is an account of how the emotional ecstasy of the gopis was described by Svarupa Damodara and tasted by Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu
- An advanced devotee can understand sri-krsna-caitanya, radha-krsna nahe anya. Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, being a combination of Krsna and Radha, is nondifferent from Radha-Krsna combined. This is explained by Svarupa Damodara Gosvami - CC Adi 1.5
- Antaranga-seva refers to service performed in one's spiritual body. Svarupa Damodara Gosvami was formerly Lalitadevi. Raghunatha dasa Gosvami, who was among his assistants, now also began to serve Radha and Krsna within his mind
- Anyone desiring to become expert in the service of Sri Sri Radha and Krsna should always aspire to be under the guidance of Svarupa Damodara Gosvami, Rupa Gosvami, Sanatana Gosvami and Raghunatha dasa Gosvami
- Anyone who follows in the footsteps of Kaviraja Gosvami also accepts the lotus feet of the above-mentioned lords (Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, Nityananda, Advaita Prabhu, Svarupa Damodara, Rupa Gosvami, Raghunatha dasa) as his personal property
- As Svarupa Damodara has said, if one wants to learn the meaning of Srimad-Bhagavatam, one must take lessons from a realized soul. One should not proudly think that one can understand the transcendental loving service of the Lord simply by reading books
- At night He talked incoherently in grief with His arms around Svarupa Damodara's neck. He spoke out His heart in ecstatic inspiration
- At the beginning, Svarupa Damodara came forward and garlanded Advaita Acarya. Govinda next came and offered a second garland to Advaita Acarya
- At the conclusion of his sannyasa, his spiritual master, Caitanyananda Bharati, ordered him, "Read the Vedanta-sutra and teach it to all others"
- At this time, Srivasa Thakura smiled and told Svarupa Damodara, "My dear sir, please hear! Just see how opulent my goddess of fortune is"
- Being requested, Svarupa Damodara began to speak. All the devotees of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu were very happy to hear him
- Bhagavan Acarya requested Svarupa Damodara Gosvami to hear from Gopala the commentary upon Vedanta. Svarupa Damodara, however, somewhat angry because of love, spoke as follows
- Bhagavan Acarya said to Svarupa Damodara, "Gopala, my younger brother, has returned to my home, having concluded his study of Vedanta philosophy"
- By His mercy I have attained the shelter of the great personality Sri Raghunatha dasa Gosvami, and by His mercy I have found the refuge of Sri Svarupa Damodara
- By seeing and hearing the notes recorded by these two great personalities, a Vaisnava, a devotee of the Lord, can know these pastimes one after another
- Damodara Gosvami said, "Krsna is the master of all transcendental mellows and the taster of all transcendental mellows, and His body is composed of transcendental bliss"
- Damodara Svarupa was formerly a resident of Navadvipa, and his name was Purusottama Acarya
- Despite the explanation of Svarupa Damodara, Bhagavan Acarya requested, "Please hear the drama once. If you hear it, you can consider whether it is good or bad"
- Doctrines like those of the nadiya-nagaris, a class of so-called devotees, are never presented by authorized persons like Svarupa Damodara or the Six Gosvamis
- Fearing that the Lord would injure His finger by writing in this way, Svarupa Damodara checked Him with his own hand
- For two or three days Bhagavan Acarya continually asked Svarupa Damodara Gosvami to hear the poetry. Because of his repeated requests, Svarupa Damodara Gosvami wanted to hear the poetry written by the brahmana from Bengal
- Having said this, Svarupa Damodara Gosvami induced Haridasa to bathe and take prasadam. After thus reassuring him, he returned home
- He (Bhagavan Acarya) was always friendly to Svarupa Gosani, but he was staunchly devoted to the lotus feet of Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu. He sometimes invited Caitanya Mahaprabhu to his house
- He (Damodara Svarupa) met Caitanya Mahaprabhu there (in Jagannatha Puri) and dedicated his life for the service of the Lord. He became Lord Caitanya's secretary and constant companion
- He (Damodara Svarupa) used to enhance the pleasure potency of the Lord by singing appropriate songs, which were very much appreciated
- He (Purusottama Acarya) did not accept a sannyasi title but remained as a naisthika-brahmacari
- He (Svarupa Damodara) always reminded Lord Caitanya of Radha’s feelings of separation as they are described in Srimad-Bhagavatam, and Lord Caitanya appreciated his assistance
- He (Svarupa Damodara) did not want to be disturbed by the formality of the sannyasa order. He simply wanted to worship Lord Sri Krsna without disturbance; therefore with heart and soul he took up the renounced order but not the formalities accompanying it
- He explained how Junior Haridasa had made his resolution and had thus entered the waters at the confluence of the Yamuna and Ganges. Hearing these details, Srivasa Thakura and the other devotees were very surprised
- He rendered confidential service to the Lord for sixteen years at Jagannatha Puri, and after the disappearance of both the Lord and Svarupa Damodara, he left Jagannatha Puri and went to Vrndavana
- He said, "If you want to understand Srimad-Bhagavatam, you must approach a self-realized Vaisnava and hear from him. You can do this when you have completely taken shelter of the lotus feet of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu"
- He was fully absorbed in thoughts of fraternal relationships with God. He was an incarnation of a cowherd boy, and thus his dealings with Svarupa Damodara Gosvami were very friendly
- He was very enthusiastic to worship Sri Krsna without disturbance, and therefore, almost in madness, he accepted the sannyasa order
- Hearing this explanation, all the members of the assembly were struck with wonder. "Svarupa Damodara Gosvami has spoken the real truth," they admitted
- Hearing this, everyone present was greatly happy. But Svarupa Damodara, who alone was very unhappy, began to speak in great anger
- Here (in CC Madhya 11.146) the Lord is addressing Damodara Pandita, who is different from Svarupa Damodara. Damodara Pandita is the elder brother of Sankara
- His (Lord Caitanya) representative is Sri Svarupa Damodara Gosvami, and the next representatives are the six Gosvamis - Sri Rupa, Sri Sanatana, Bhatta Raghunatha, Sri Jiva, Gopala Bhatta and Dasa Raghunatha
- His later pastimes (the madhya-lila and antya-lila) were recorded in the form of notes by His secretary, Svarupa Damodara Gosvami, and thus kept within a book
- I (Krsnadasa Kaviraja Gosvami) am faultless because I have written herein whatever I have understood from Svarupa Damodara Gosvami and Rupa and Raghunatha dasa Gosvamis
- I do not know why I have given up household life, he said. "What is my duty? Kindly give me instructions"
- I gave up Your company, but You did not give me up. By Your rope of mercy You have bound me by the neck and brought me back again to Your lotus feet
- I have heard of this kind of pride in Satyabhama, Krsna's proudest queen, and I have also heard of it in the gopis of Vrndavana, who are the reservoirs of all transcendental mellows
- I have tried to preach the pastimes of Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu's meeting with Ramananda Raya in accordance with the notebooks of Sri Svarupa Damodara
- I offer my respectful obeisances unto Advaita Prabhu, the ocean of mercy, and to all the devotees, such as Svarupa Damodara Gosvami, Gadadhara Pandita, Sri Rupa Gosvami and Sri Sanatana Gosvami
- I wish to place the lotus feet of the Gosvamis on my head. Their names are Sri Svarupa Damodara, Sri Rupa Gosvami, Sri Sanatana Gosvami, Sri Raghunatha dasa Gosvami and Sri Jiva Gosvami
- If he (Svarupa Damodara) would find that there were no incompatibilities in the rasas, or transcendental mellows, he would then allow the poet to approach Lord Caitanya and recite his poetry
- In spite of Svarupa Damodara's protest, Bhagavan Acarya continued, "We are all fixed at the lotus feet of Krsna with our hearts and souls. Therefore the Sariraka-bhasya cannot change our minds"
- In the case of the goddess of fortune, I see a different kind of pride. She manifests her own opulences and even goes with her soldiers to attack her husband
- In the first group, Damodara Svarupa was appointed chief singer, and the responding singers were Damodara Pandita, Narayana, Govinda Datta, Raghava Pandita and Govindananda
- In the list of devotees at Jagannatha Puri (which begins with Paramananda Puri, Svarupa Damodara, Sarvabhauma Bhattacarya and Gopinatha Acarya), Kasi Misra was the fifth, Pradyumna Misra the sixth and Bhavananda Raya the seventh
- It is significant that Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu told Svarupa Damodara Gosvami that the Bengali Vaisnava was "your Gaudiya Vaisnava." This means that all Gaudiya Vaisnavas who are followers of the Caitanya cult are subordinate to Svarupa Damodara Gosvami
- Lord Caitanya’s heart was full of the feelings of Srimati Radharani, and His appearance resembled Hers. Svarupa Damodara has explained His attitude as radha-bhava-murti, the attitude of Radharani
- Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu had three Raghus among His associates - Vaidya Raghunatha (vide Adi-lila 11.22), Bhatta Raghunatha and Dasa Raghunatha. Dasa Raghunatha became celebrated as the Raghunatha of Svarupa
- May transcendental bliss be awakened within my heart by Your causeless mercy
- My dear friend, now I have met My very old and dear friend Krsna on this field of Kuruksetra
- My dear Lord, I do not possess even a trace of love for Your lotus feet. If I did, how could I have gone to another country? I am therefore a most sinful man
- Paramananda Puri Gosvami, Svarupa Damodara, Jagadananda, Mukunda, Govinda, Kasisvara, Haridasa Thakura, Vakresvara Pandita, Gopinatha Acarya, Damodara Pandita, Ramai, Nandai and many other devotees accompanied the Lord (Caitanya)
- Paramananda Puri, Brahmananda Bharati Gosani, Svarupa Damodara Gosani, Lord Nityananda, Jagadananda, Mukunda and others were present before the Lord at that time
- People are accustomed to being misled by professional Bhagavatam reciters. Therefore Svarupa Damodara Gosvami herein (CC Antya 5.131) advises that one should not hear Srimad-Bhagavatam from professional reciters
- Pundarika Vidyanidhi became the spiritual master of Gadadhara Pandita and an intimate friend of Svarupa Damodara's
- Purusottama Acarya did not accept the saffron color, a sannyasi name or a danda, and for this reason he retained his brahmacari name. Actually Purusottama Acarya did not accept the sannyasa order formally, but he renounced worldly life
- Raghunatha dasa Gosvami knew much about the external and internal features of the pastimes of Lord Caitanya, because he was an assistant to Svarupa Damodara. Thus the two brothers Rupa and Sanatana always used to hear of this from him
- Raghunatha dasa never even spoke a word before the Lord. Instead, he informed the Lord of his desires through Svarupa Damodara Gosvami and Govinda
- Raghunatha dasa then began offering the costly sweetmeats known as khaja, which Govinda, following the order of Svarupa Damodara, would supply
- Sarvabhauma Bhattacarya said, "Damodara Svarupa is my intimate friend. He will come sometimes with You and sometimes alone"
- Seeing the impudence of the goddess of fortune, Svarupa Damodara Gosvami wanted to inform Caitanya about the superexcellence of the gopis’ loving affairs. He said, My Lord, I have never experienced anything like the behavior of the goddess of fortune
- Seeing the poet's unhappiness, Svarupa Damodara Gosvami, who was naturally very kindhearted, advised him so that he could derive some benefit
- Since the fisherman was afraid of being haunted by a ghost, Svarupa Damodara gave him a slap and chanted Hare Krsna, which immediately pacified him
- Sometimes You will come alone to my place, and sometimes You will be accompanied by Svarupa Damodara
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu again entrusted him to Svarupa Damodara. Thus Raghunatha dasa rendered very confidential service with Svarupa Damodara Gosvami
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu called Pundarika Vidyanidhi - father, and He gave him the title Premanidhi. Pundarika Vidyanidhi later became the spiritual master of Gadadhara Pandita and an intimate friend of Svarupa Damodara’s
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu then asked Svarupa Damodara, "Please speak of the ecstatic ornaments decorating the body of Srimati Radharani, by which She enchants the mind of Sri Govinda
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu wanted a new man (to accompany Him to Vrndavana), not a person like Kala Krsnadasa who would fall for women. Svarupa Damodara therefore immediately pointed out a new brahmana named Balabhadra Bhattacarya
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, Nityananda, Advaita Prabhu, Svarupa Damodara, Rupa Gosvami, Raghunatha dasa and their followers are all accepted by Krsnadasa Kaviraja Gosvami
- Sri Sarvabhauma Bhattacarya replied, "Here is Svarupa Damodara, who is practically the second expansion of the body of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu"
- Sri Svarupa Damodara Gosvami had studied this person very thoroughly and had seen that he had great love for Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu. Not only did he love the Lord, but he was also learned and honest. He was not duplicitous, and he was advanced in KC
- Sri Svarupa Damodara Gosvami has recorded this verse (of CC Adi-lila 5.7) in his diary to offer his respectful obeisances to Lord Nityananda Prabhu
- Sri Svarupa Damodara Gosvami has said, caitanyakhyam prakatam adhuna tad-dvayam caikyam aptam: Radha and Krsna assumed oneness in the form of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu
- Sri Svarupa Damodara is a direct expansion of Radharani who helps the Lord experience the attitude of Radharani
- Sri Svarupa Damodara was very dear to Advaita Acarya and Nityananda Prabhu, and he was the life and soul of all the devotees, headed by Srivasa Thakura
- Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura writes in his Anubhasya - when they (sahajiyas) try to ascribe the responsibility for their lusty activities to Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, they become offenders to Svarupa Damodara and Srila Vrndavana dasa Thakura
- Srila Raghunatha dasa writes in Vilapa-kusumanjali (5): Let me offer my respectful obeisances unto the lotus feet of Caitanya, who, by His unreserved mercy, kindly placed me in the ocean of transcendental joy under the care of Svarupa Damodara Gosvami
- Srila Svarupa Damodara Gosvami wanted to impress upon Bhagavan Acarya that even though someone firmly fixed in devotion to Krsna's service might not be deviated by hearing the Mayavada bhasya, that bhasya is nevertheless full of impersonal words and ideas
- Srivasa Thakura continued to address Svarupa Damodara, "Your gopis are engaged in boiling milk and churning yogurt, but my mistress, the goddess of fortune, sits on a throne made of jewels and gems"
- Svarupa Damodara also offered his worshipful prayers at the lotus feet of Paramananda Puri, who, in return, embraced him in ecstatic love
- Svarupa Damodara and Govinda, taking the flower garlands and prasadam of Lord Jagannatha, proceeded to where all the Vaisnavas were standing
- Svarupa Damodara and Jagadananda again and again offered the Lord some food. Thus they behaved affectionately with the Lord. This was very, very uncommon
- Svarupa Damodara and Vidyanidhi also threw water upon each other, and Murari Gupta and Vasudeva Datta also sported in that way
- Svarupa Damodara continued, "Associate regularly with the devotees of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, for then only will you understand the waves of the ocean of devotional service"
- Svarupa Damodara continued, "Because you have committed an offense to Lord Jagannatha and Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, you will attain a hellish destination"
- Svarupa Damodara could understand the secret mission of Lord Caitanya, and it was by his grace only that all the devotees of Lord Caitanya could know the real purpose of the Lord
- Svarupa Damodara gave Raghunatha dasa two cloths, each about six inches long, a wooden platform and a jug in which to keep water
- Svarupa Damodara Gosani said, "Please hear us, Haridasa, for we all wish you well. Please believe this"
- Svarupa Damodara Gosvami advises that one should not hear Srimad-Bhagavatam from professional reciters. Instead, one must hear and learn the Bhagavatam from a self-realized Vaisnava
- Svarupa Damodara Gosvami and Pundarika Vidyanidhi had a friendly, intimate relationship, and as far as discussing topics about Krsna, they were situated on the same platform
- Svarupa Damodara Gosvami caught the Gaudiya Vaisnava by the neck and, giving him a little push, ejected him from the Gundica Puri temple and made him stay outside
- Svarupa Damodara Gosvami has pointed out that in the shape of Laksmi, the pleasure potency of Krsna, she was formerly very dear to the Lord as Syamasundara-vallabha. The same Syamasundara-vallabha was present in Caitanya’s pastimes as Gadadhara Pandita
- Svarupa Damodara Gosvami informed the Bengali poet, Because of your ignorance and your leaning toward Mayavada philosophy, you cannot distinguish the difference between the Mayavada and Vaisnava philosophies
- Svarupa Damodara Gosvami informed the Bengali poet, Fortunately, through your words, the goddess of learning, mother Sarasvati, has tactfully offered her prayers to her master, Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu
- Svarupa Damodara Gosvami informed the Bengali poet, the process you have adopted to praise Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and Lord Jagannatha does not follow the proper system; indeed, it is irregular and offensive
- Svarupa Damodara Gosvami instructs the poet from Bengal to hear Srimad-Bhagavatam from a pure Vaisnava and learn from him
- Svarupa Damodara Gosvami never approved such followers (who adopt the conclusions of rasabhasa and bhakti-siddhanta-viruddha) as Gaudiya Vaisnavas, nor did he allow them even to meet the Supreme Lord, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu
- Svarupa Damodara Gosvami replied, "Dear Bhagavan Acarya, you are a very liberal cowherd boy. Sometimes the desire awakens within you to hear any kind of poetry"
- Svarupa Damodara Gosvami sat down with other devotees to hear the poetry, and then the poet began to read the introductory verse
- Svarupa Damodara Gosvami strictly prohibits the behavior of the materialistic so-called hearers of Srimad-Bhagavatam. Instead of awakening real love for Krsna, such hearers of the Bhagavatam become more and more attached to household affairs and sex life
- Svarupa Damodara Gosvami then brought some excellent sweetmeats and, standing before the Lord, offered them to Him
- Svarupa Damodara Gosvami then said, "Just take a little of this maha-prasadam, and see how it is that Lord Jagannatha has accepted it"
- Svarupa Damodara Gosvami was very expert in music as well as the Vedic scriptures. Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu used to call him Damodara because of his expert singing and musical skills
- Svarupa Damodara Gosvami, Jagadananda, Damodara Pandita, Kasisvara, Gopinatha, Vaninatha and Sankara distributed prasadam, and the devotees chanted the holy names at intervals
- Svarupa Damodara has been identified as Lalita-devi, the second expansion of Radharani
- Svarupa Damodara immediately pointed out that Balabhadra Bhattacarya was quite fit to accompany the Lord because he was a learned scholar and was simple and had great love for Sri Krsna Caitanya Mahaprabhu
- Svarupa Damodara informed Him, "Govinda was the servant of Isvara Puri. He is very highly qualified"
- Svarupa Damodara is a pure devotee of Vrndavana. He does not even know what opulence is, for he is simply absorbed in pure devotional service
- Svarupa Damodara pointed out the drama’s (written by Bhagavan Acarya's friend) many mistakes & its disagreements with the conclusion of DS, & the author became aware of the faults in his writing & then surrendered to Svarupa Damodara, begging his mercy
- Svarupa Damodara replied for Srila Rupa Gosvami, "He wanted to compose a drama about the pastimes of Lord Krsna. He planned to describe in one book both the pastimes of Vrndavana and those of Dvaraka and Mathura"
- Svarupa Damodara replied, "It is the nature of a girl afflicted by love to become immediately angry upon finding any neglect on the part of her lover"
- Svarupa Damodara replied, "My dear Lord, please hear the reason for this. Laksmidevi, the goddess of fortune, cannot be admitted to the pastimes of Vrndavana"
- Svarupa Damodara replied, "Nevertheless, when we hear the Mayavada philosophy, we hear that Brahman is knowledge and that the universe of maya is false, but we gain no spiritual understanding"
- Svarupa Damodara replied, "Raghunatha dasa felt unhappy standing at the Simha-dvara. Therefore he is now going at midday to beg alms from the charity booth"
- Svarupa Damodara said, "My Lord, please sit down. No one will eat until You do"
- Svarupa Damodara said, "There is no egoistic pride like this within the three worlds. At least I have never seen it or heard of it"
- Svarupa Damodara said, "Timidity, jubilation, ambition, respect, fear and the characteristics of the left-wing gopis are all ecstatic symptoms that combine to agitate Srimati Radharani"
- Svarupa Damodara said, "You eat such nectar every day, but you never offer it to us. What is your character"
- Svarupa Damodara then retorted, "My dear Srivasa, please hear me with attention. You have forgotten the transcendental opulence of Vrndavana"
- Svarupa Damodara then worshiped the lotus feet of Nityananda Prabhu, and Nityananda Prabhu in turn embraced him in the ecstasy of love
- Svarupa Damodara was a great renunciant as well as a great learned scholar. With heart and soul he took shelter of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Sri Krsna
- Svarupa Damodara was as expert a musician as the Gandharvas, and in scriptural discussion he was just like Brhaspati, the priest of the heavenly gods. Therefore it is to be concluded that there was no great personality quite like Svarupa Damodara
- Svarupa Damodara was chosen as the leader of the first party and was given five assistants to respond to his chanting
- Svarupa Damodara was the limit of all learned scholarship, but he did not exchange words with anyone. He simply remained in a solitary place, and no one could understand where he was
- Svarupa Damodara wrote short notes, whereas Raghunatha dasa Gosvami wrote elaborate descriptions. I (Krsnadasa Kaviraja Gosvami) shall now describe Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu's activities more elaborately, as if fluffing out compressed cotton
- Svarupa Gosani is the most intimate associate of the Lord. He therefore knows all these topics well
- Svarupa said, "My dear Lord, please excuse my offense. I gave up Your company to go elsewhere, and that was my great mistake"
- Svarupa-damodara Gosvami says that anyone who is eager to understand the Mayavada philosophy must be considered insane. This especially applies to a Vaisnava who reads the Sariraka-bhasya and considers himself to be one with God
- That incarnation is yellowish in hue and is always associated with His plenary expansions (such as Sri Nityananda Prabhu) and personal expansions (such as Gadadhara), as well as His devotees and associates (such as Svarupa Damodara)
- That most confidential cause is threefold. Svarupa Damodara has revealed it
- The above description of Radha and Krsna from the diary of Srila Svarupa Damodara Gosvami is a condensed explanation, but one needs great spiritual insight to understand the mystery of these two personalities
- The author of Sri Caitanya-caritamrta says - I have only written what I have heard in the disciplic succession because I am dedicated to the lotus feet of previous acaryas like Svarupa Damodara, Raghunatha dasa Gosvami and Rupa Gosvami
- The books are being kept with Svarupa Damodara, and you can get them copied. Hearing this, Vasudeva became very glad
- The brahmana poet from Bengal was an offender in the estimation of Svarupa Damodara Gosvami, for although the poet had no knowledge of the Absolute Truth, he had nevertheless tried to describe it
- The disciplic succession from Brahma is called the Brahma-sampradaya, and it descends as follows: Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, Svarupa Damodara and Sri Rupa Gosvami and others, Sri Raghunatha dasa Gosvami, Krsnadasa Gosvami, Narottama dasa Thakura
- The five who responded to the singing of Svarupa Damodara were Damodara Pandita, Narayana, Govinda Datta, Raghava Pandita and Sri Govindananda
- The four spiritual masters referred to in this verse (of CC Madhya 11.35) are Paramananda Puri, Brahmananda Bharati, Svarupa Damodara and Lord Nityananda
- The Gaura-ganoddesa-dipika describes Svarupa Damodara as the same Visakha-devi who serves the Lord in Goloka Vrndavana
- The King inquired, "To whom did Svarupa Damodara and Govinda offer the two garlands? His bodily effulgence is so great that He must be a very great devotee. Please let me know who He is"
- The Lord also gave garlands and sandalwood pulp to the performers of sankirtana. The two chief performers were Svarupa Damodara and Srivasa Thakura
- The Lord is understood only in pursuance of the principles laid down by the Gosvamis, headed by Svarupa Damodara
- The Lord made Sarvabhauma Bhattacarya sit on His left side, and when Sarvabhauma saw the behavior of Svarupa Damodara and Jagadananda, he smiled
- The Lord then called for Svarupa Damodara and told him, "Just see the behavior of your Bengali Vaisnava"
- The meaning of those verses was known to Svarupa Damodara Gosvami, but he did not reveal it. However, Sri Rupa Gosvami has broadcast the meaning
- The name Damodara was given by Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and added to the name given by his sannyasa-guru. He was therefore known as Svarupa Damodara, or Damodara Svarupa. He compiled a book of music named Sangita-damodara
- The next day, Raghunatha dasa inquired at the lotus feet of Svarupa Damodara about his duty
- The notes kept by Sri Svarupa Damodara and Murari Gupta are the basis of this book. Following those notes, I (Krsnadasa Kaviraja Gosvami) write of all the pastimes of the Lord. The notes have been described elaborately by Vrndavana dasa Thakura
- The pastimes of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu are the topmost of jewels. They have been kept in the storehouse of Svarupa Damodara Gosvami, who has explained them to Raghunatha dasa Gosvami, who has repeated them to me
- The seven persons headed by Svarupa Damodara who were engaged in distributing prasadam to others then took their meals within the room
- The ten sannyasis living with the Lord were (1) Paramananda Puri, (2) Svarupa Damodara, (3) Brahmananda Puri, (4) Brahmananda Bharati, (5) Visnu Puri, (6) Kesava Puri, (7) Krsnananda Puri, (8) Nrsimha Tirtha, (9) Sukhananda Puri & (10) Satyananda Bharati
- The three were Svarupa Damodara Gosvami, Ramananda Raya and Sikhi Mahiti, and the half a person was Sikhi Mahiti's sister
- Then Svarupa Damodara Gosvami recited the verse, and when all the devotees heard it, their minds were struck with wonder
- Then Svarupa Damodara Gosvami, Damodara Pandita and Jagadananda all began to distribute prasadam to the devotees with great pleasure
- There are now three Raghunathas among My associates. From this day forward, this Raghunatha should be known as the Raghu of Svarupa Damodara
- These (offering oblations to forefathers, performing the sacrifice of viraja-homa, cutting off the sikha and giving up the sacred thread) are preliminary processes in the acceptance of sannyasa, and Svarupa Damodara accepted all these
- These devotees (Svarupa Damodara and the devotees in his charge) sang along with the Lord, and they also ran beside Him. All the other groups of men also sang
- They said, "We cannot see his material form but still we hear his sweet singing. Therefore he must have become a ghost." Svarupa Damodara, however, protested, This is a false guess
- This conclusion of rasa is extremely deep. Only Svarupa Damodara knows much about it
- This is a verse (of CC Adi-lila 5.13) from Sri Svarupa Damodara Gosvami’s diary. It appears as the eighth of the first fourteen verses of Sri Caitanya-caritamrta
- This is the way (Krsnadasa Kaviraja simply admits his indebtedness to the notes taken by Svarupa Damodara and other authoritative persons) of writing transcendental literatures, which are never meant for so-called scholars and research workers
- This text (CC Adi Lila 4.55) is from the diary of Srila Svarupa Damodara Gosvami. It appears as the fifth of the first fourteen verses of Sri Caitanya-caritamrta
- This verse appears to be the hankering between some ordinary boy and girl, but its actual deep meaning was known only to Svarupa Damodara. By chance, one year Rupa Gosvami was also present there
- Those who are pure devotees in Krsna consciousness condemn their (the prakrta-sahajiyas') activities. The eternal vraja-vasis like Svarupa Damodara did not even come to Vrndavana-dhama
- Thus I have explained the meaning intended by mother Sarasvati, the goddess of learning. It is your great fortune that you have described Lord Jagannatha and Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu in that way
- Thus speaking, the son of Srimati Sacimata recited another wonderful verse, and Ramananda Raya and Svarupa Damodara heard this verse with rapt attention
- To describe the fortunate position of Ramananda Raya and Svarupa Damodara Gosvami is extremely difficult. They were renowned as intimately confidential friends of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu
- Two people - Ramananda Raya and Svarupa Damodara Gosvami - stayed with the Lord to pacify Him by reciting various verses about Krsna’s pastimes and by singing appropriate songs for His satisfaction
- Upon accepting sannyasa, Purusottama Acarya followed the regulative principles by giving up his tuft of hair and sacred thread, but he did not accept the saffron-colored dress
- Upon hearing this proper explanation by Svarupa Damodara Gosvami, the Bengali poet fell down at the feet of all the devotees and took shelter of them with a straw in his mouth
- Upon saying this, Svarupa Damodara Gosvami placed some food before the Lord, and the Lord, out of affection, ate it
- We should remember that Svarupa Damodara Gosvami recorded the pastimes briefly, whereas Raghunatha dasa Gosvami recorded them elaborately. These two great personalities simply recorded the facts; they did not create any descriptive literary embellishments
- When everyone present heard the verse, they all commended the poet, but Svarupa Damodara Gosvami requested him, "Kindly explain this verse"
- When Govinda offered his obeisances by falling down flat before Advaita Acarya, Advaita Acarya asked Svarupa Damodara about his identity, for He did not know Govinda at that time
- When he (Damodara Svarupa) went to Varanasi, he took sannyasa from a sannyasi designated Tirtha. Although he received the title Svarupa in his brahmacari stage, he did not change his name when he took sannyasa
- When he (Purusottama Bhattacarya) became a brahmacari, he was given the name Sri Damodara Svarupa. He left Benares shortly thereafter, without taking sannyasa, and he came to Nilacala, Jagannatha Puri, where Lord Caitanya was staying
- When his brother (Gopala Bhattacarya) came to Jagannatha Puri, Bhagavan Acarya wanted to hear from him about Mayavada philosophy, but Svarupa Damodara forbade him to do so, and there the matter stopped
- When Lord Caitanya accepted the renounced order, Paramananda Puri offered Him the danda. Paramananda Puri was always engaged in meditation, and Sri Svarupa was always engaged in chanting the Hare Krsna maha-mantra
- When the Bengali poet heard this chastisement from Svarupa Damodara Gosvami, he was ashamed, fearful and astonished. Indeed, being like a duck in a society of white swans, he could not say anything
- When the Lord acutely felt pangs of separation from Krsna, only Sri Ramananda Raya' talks about Krsna and the sweet songs of Svarupa Damodara kept Him alive
- Whenever a particular sentiment arose in His heart, Svarupa Damodara satisfied Him by singing songs or reciting verses of the same nature
- With the exception of Nityananda Prabhu, Advaita Acarya, Svarupa Damodara, Brahmananda Bharati and Paramananda Puri, everyone was engaged in filling the waterpots and bringing them there