"Kuru dynasties"|"Kuru dynasty"|"dynasty of the Kurus"
Subcategories Pages in category
This category has the following 12 subcategories, out of 12 total.
- ► Five Pandavas (10 C, 309 P)
- ► Pandu (1 C, 104 P)
- ► Vidura (2 C, 581 P)
Pages in category "Kuru Dynasty"
The following 171 pages are in this category, out of 171 total.
- Actually the members of the Kuru dynasty were very much puffed up due to their opulence, kingdom, aristocracy, family tradition, great warriors, family members and vast, expansive empire
- After the battle, Maharaja Yudhisthira was unhappy over such mass killings. Practically there was none to continue the Kuru dynasty after them, the Pandavas
- After the Kuru dynasty was annihilated in the Battle of Kuruksetra, you also were about to be destroyed by the brahmastra atomic weapon released by the son of Dronacarya, but by the mercy of the Supreme P of Godhead, Krsna, you were saved from death
- All of them (Dhrtarastra, Bhisma, Vidura and Arjuna), under the counsel of the elder members of the Kuru family, decided to arrest the boy (Samba) but not kill him
- All the friends, family members, wives and children of Vasudeva assembled together, along with all the kings and members of the Vidarbha, Kosala, Kuru, Kasi, Kekaya and Srnjaya dynasties
- All the kings present, belonging to the Kuru dynasty, Matsya dynasty, Kekaya dynasty and Srnjaya dynasty, were very angry and immediately took up their swords and shields to kill Sisupala
- All the members of the Kuru dynasty appeared before Lord Balarama with folded hands just to beg the pardon of the Supreme Personality of Godhead
- All the members of the Kuru dynasty, such as Dhrtarastra, Bhisma, Vidura and Arjuna, thought it an insult to their family tradition that the boy, Samba, could possibly have kidnapped their daughter
- All the wives of the Kuru family became widows because of Duhsasana's insulting a great devotee of the Lord
- Although He took birth in the Yadu dynasty, Lord Krsna was more affectionate to the Pandavas. By His actions, Lord Krsna proved that He was more inclined to the Kuru dynasty than the Yadu dynasty
- Although Lord Balarama knew very well that by slight provocation people are prepared to fight with one another in the Age of Kali, He did not like the idea that the two great dynasties, the Kuru dynasty and the Yadu dynasty, would fight amongst themselves
- Although Lord Balarama patiently heard their insulting words and simply observed their uncivil behavior, from His appearance it was clear that He was burning with anger and was thinking of retaliating with great vengeance
- Arjuna sustained his unimpeachable character by closing his eyes before Urvasi, addressing her as mother of the Kuru dynasty and placing her in the category of his mothers Kunti, Madri and Sacidevi, wife of Indradeva
- As Brhannala, Arjuna fought on behalf of Uttara, the son of King Virata, and thus defeated the Kurus in the fight incognito
- As far as the Yadu and Kuru dynasties are concerned, they existed simultaneously, but of the two, the Yadu dynasty was more glorious due to the appearance of Lord Krsna
- As stated in Bhagavad-gita (BG 2.41): "Those who are on the spiritual path are resolute in purpose, and their aim is one. O beloved child of the Kurus, the intelligence of those who are irresolute is many-branched."
- At last the Pandavas demanded only five villages, one for each of the five brothers, but that was also refused by the usurpers. This incident led to the War of Kuruksetra. The Battle of Kuruksetra, therefore, was induced by the Kurus, and not the Pandavas
- At that time, 5,000 years ago, the Kuru dynasty was ruling all over the world. Now, what we know as Bharata-varsa is a fraction only. Formerly, this planet was known as Bharata-varsa
- At the time of Draupadi's precarious position, when she was attacked by the Kurus who wanted to see her naked in the open assembly of the royal order, the Lord saved her from being stripped by supplying an unlimited length of sari to cover her
- Balarama said, "Consider the exalted position of the Yadu dynasty. They have forcibly used both the assembly house and the parijata tree of the heavenly planets, and still you think that they cannot order you (Kurus)"
- Balarama said, "Dear friends, this time I have come to you (Kurus) as a messenger with the order of the all-powerful King Ugrasena. Please, hear the order with attention & great care. Without wasting a single moment, please try to carry out the order"
- Balarama said, "Every statement they (Kurus) made was full of crazy proposals. I should immediately take them to task and bring them to their senses. If I do not take steps against them, it will be improper on My part"
- Balarama said, "How regrettable it is that these fools (Kurus) consider us, the members of the Yadu dynasty, to be like shoes and themselves like helmets"
- Balarama said, "I do not think we should disturb our good relationship; we should continue our friendship without any unnecessary fighting. Please, therefore, immediately release Samba and bring him, along with his wife, Laksmana, before Me"
- Balarama said, "It is clear now that these leaders of the Kuru dynasty have become mad over their worldly possessions and opulence"
- Balarama said, "It is clear that they do not want a peaceful settlement, for they are factually warmongers. With great pride they have repeatedly insulted Me by calling the Yadu dynasty ill names"
- Balarama said, "King Ugrasena knows very well that you warriors of the Kuru dynasty improperly fought with the pious Samba, who was alone, and that with great difficulty and unrighteous tactics you have arrested him"
- Balarama said, "On this very day I shall rid the whole world of any trace of the Kuru dynasty. I shall finish them off immediately"
- Balarama said, "They (the Yadus) were preparing to attack the whole kingdom of the Kuru dynasty, but I pacified them and took the trouble to come here to settle the affair without any fighting. Yet these rascals behave like this"
- Balarama said, "You (Kurus) have thought it wise that the royal insignias like the whisk, fan, white umbrella, royal throne and other princely paraphernalia not be used by the Yadu dynasty"
- Balarama said, "Your (Kurus) conclusion is wonderful! You do not care for King Ugrasena, whose order is obeyed even by King Indra"
- Balarama was very satisfied after His great reception from the side of the Kurus, and accompanied by the newly married couple, He started toward His capital city of Dvaraka
- Balarama's idea was that if the Kuru dynasty could be induced to release Samba along with his wife, Laksmana, then the fight could be avoided. He therefore immediately arranged for a nice chariot to go to Hastinapura, accompanied by learned priests
- Being harassed by Kamsa, the kings of the Yadu, Bhoja and Andhaka dynasties began to take shelter in different states, such as the state of the Kurus, the state of the Pancalas and the states known as Kekaya, Salva, Vidarbha, Nisadha, Videha and Kosala
- Besides all these brahmanas and sages, he (Yudhisthira) invited such respectable old men as Dronacarya, Bhisma (the grandfather of the Kurus), Krpacarya and Dhrtarastra
- Bhisma, the great valiant grandsire of the Kuru dynasty, the grandfather of the fighters, blew his conchshell very loudly, making a sound like the roar of a lion, giving Duryodhana joy
- Bhismadeva was a statesman, the head of the Kuru dynasty, a great general and a leader of ksatriyas, his mind was strewn over so many subjects, and his thinking, feeling and willing were engaged in different matters
- Bhurisrava was the son of Somadatta, a member of the Kuru family. His other brother was Salya
- Both the sons of Dhrtarastra and those of Pandu belonged to the same dynasty of Maharaja Kuru; therefore both of them were generally known as Kurus
- But He (Krsna) did not chastise the insulting party (the Kurus) immediately. This silence of the Lord did not mean, however, that He excused the offenses of the Kurus
- By the end of the Battle of Kuruksetra, all the members of the Kuru dynasty, both the sons and grandsons on the side of Dhrtarastra and those on the side of the Pandavas, had died in the fighting
- Dronacarya was informed of Arjuna's presence in the fight of the Kurus and the Viratas
- During his (Arjuna's) student life he was entrusted to study under the great professor Dronacarya, along with other Pandavas and the Kurus
- Duryodhana by nature was very envious because of his sinful life, and he appeared in the dynasty of the Kurus like a chronic disease personified to destroy the whole family
- Duryodhana said to Dronacarya: Here in this army (of the Kurus) are many heroic bowmen equal in fighting to Bhima and Arjuna: great fighters like Yuyudhana, Virata and Drupada
- Even the King of heaven, Indra, abides by the order of the Yadu dynasty; and you (the members of the Kuru dynasty) consider King Ugrasena, the head of the Bhojas, Vrsnis, Andhakas and Yadavas, to be the leader of a small phalanx!
- Even when everything was done away with, there was the brahmastra released by the son of Dronacarya to kill the child within the womb of Uttara, and so the Lord (Krsna) saved the only surviving descendant of the Kurus, Maharaja Pariksit
- Exactly as a lamb cannot enjoy life in the presence of a lion, without our desire it is not even possible for the demigods in heaven, headed by King Indra, to find enjoyment in life, what to speak of ordinary human beings!
- He (Balarama) asked Uddhava to meet with the leaders of the Kuru dynasty and inquire from them whether they wanted to fight with the Yadu dynasty or to make a settlement
- He (Balarama) was confident that the members of the Kuru dynasty would agree to this marriage and avoid fighting with the Yadus
- He (Dhrtarastra) deliberately claimed only his sons as Kurus, and he separated the sons of Pandu from the family heritage
- He (Karna) asked Draupadi to select another husband because, being lost by the Pandavas, she was rendered a slave of the Kurus. He was always an enemy of the Pandavas, and whenever there was an opportunity, he tried to curb them by all means
- How was he (Srila Sukadeva, the son of Vyasa) recognized by the citizens when he entered the city of Hastinapura (now Delhi), after wandering in the provinces of Kuru and Jangala, appearing like a madman, dumb and retarded?
- If one hears and again narrates, with faith and devotion, this story of the Daksa yajna as it was conducted by the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Visnu, then certainly one is cleared of all contamination of material existence, O son of Kuru
- In order to properly receive Lord Balarama, they (Kurus) all took in their hands auspicious paraphernalia for His reception and went to see Him outside the city gate. According to their respective positions, they welcomed Lord Balarama
- In order to see his (Samba's) personal strength, however, they (the members of the Kuru dynasty) fought with him, and without respect for the regulations of fighting, they all arrested him
- In that history of greater India, there is a, there was a fight between two cousin-brothers, the Pandavas and the Kurus. The Pandavas and Kurus, they belonged to the same family known as Kuru dynasty
- In the presence of Bhisma, Drona and all other chieftains of the world, Hrsikesa, the Lord, said, Just behold, Partha, all the Kurus who are assembled here. BG 1.25 - 1972
- Instead of fighting with them (Kurus), He (Balarama) wisely thought, "let Me go there and see the situation, and let Me try to see if the fight can be settled by mutual understanding"
- It is mentioned in the Padma Purana, Maharaja Nanda & the cowherd boys of Vrndavana joined the marriage ceremony. Kings from the kingdoms of Kuru, Srnjaya, Kekaya, Vidarbha, Kunti all came to Dvaraka on this occasion & met with one another very joyfully
- Karna challenged Samba, "Why are you fleeing? Just stand, and we shall teach you a lesson!"
- King Pariksit was the last remaining descendant of the Kurus and the Pandavas - SB 10.1.5-7
- King Yudhisthira engaged all the members of the Kuru dynasty in taking charge of different departments for the management of the Rajasuya sacrifice
- Kurus also thought, "If they (Yadus) came here to fight with us, what could they do? The members of the Yadu dynasty cannot equal the members of the Kuru dynasty"
- Kurus said, "Dear Lord, please consider us most foolish. Our intelligence was bewildered and not in order. Therefore we have come before You to beg Your pardon. Please excuse us"
- Kurus said, "O all-powerful Lord (Balarama), great sages speak about You. You are the original puppeteer, and everything in the world is just like Your toy"
- Kurus said, "O creator of innumerable universes, let us fall down and offer You (Balarama) our respectful obeisances again and again. We are now completely surrendered unto You. Please, therefore, be merciful upon us and give us Your protection"
- Kurus said, "O unlimited one (Balarama), You have a hold on everything, and like child's play You hold all the planetary systems on Your head"
- Kurus said, "The Yadus are now trying to go against those who have fed them nicely. Their flourishing condition is due to our gifts & merciful behavior & still they are so shameless that they are trying to order us. How regrettable are these activities"
- Kurus said, "They (the Yadus) should not have used such royal paraphernalia in our presence, but we did not check them due to our family relationships. Now they have the audacity to order us to do things. Well, enough of their impudence"
- Kurus said, "We offer our respectful obeisances unto You (Balarama) because You are the imperishable Supreme Personality of Godhead, the reservoir of all opulences and potencies"
- Kurus said, "Whatever You (Balarama) do, even in the form of chastisement, is auspicious for the whole material existence"
- Kurus said, "When the time for dissolution comes, You (Balarama) close up the whole cosmic manifestation within Yourself. At that time, nothing remains but Yourself lying in the Causal Ocean as Maha-Visnu"
- Kurus said, "You are the original creator, sustainer and annihilator of the whole cosmic manifestation, and still Your position is always transcendental"
- Lord Balarama heard that although most of the ksatriyas had been killed, the Kurus were still engaged in fighting. Therefore He returned to the battlefield just on the day Bhimasena and Duryodhana were engaged in a personal duel
- Lord Balarama heard that an arrangement was being made for a fight between the two rival parties in the Kuru dynasty, one headed by Duryodhana and the other by the Pandavas
- Maharaja Pariksit might have been thinking that the Kuru dynasty was not as fortunate as the others because the Supreme Lord did not appear in that family, neither as Krsna, Lord Ramacandra, Lord Rsabhadeva or Maharaja Prthu
- Maharaja Pariksit was more than that because he had been a great devotee of the Lord since his previous birth, and as such he took his birth in an imperial family of the Kurus, and especially that of the Pandavas
- Maharaja Pariksit, who was entrusted with the kingdom of Hastinapura by Maharaja Yudhisthira when he desired to retire to the forest, is now ruling the world with great success due to his being glorified by the deeds of the kings of the Kuru dynasty
- Maharaja Yudhisthira, after distributing his kingdom to Pariksit and Vajra, did not think himself Emperor of the world or head of the Kuru dynasty
- Maitreya continued: My dear Vidura, descendant of Kuru, as a herd of bulls circumambulates a central pole on their right side, all the luminaries within the universal sky unceasingly circumambulate the abode of Dhruva Maharaja with great force and speed
- Maitreya continued: O best of the Kuru dynasty (Vidura), I shall now describe before you the descendants of Svayambhuva Manu, who was born of a part of a plenary expansion of the Supreme Personality of Godhead
- Maitreya informed Vidura that Nara, the portion of Narayana, had appeared in the family of the Kurus and that Narayana, the plenary expansion of Krsna, had come as Krsna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead
- Mathura and Hastinapura, the capital of the Kurus, are both puras. Personalities like Arjuna, Bhima, Draupadi and Sridama Brahmana are counted amongst Krsna's fraternal devotees in the puras
- My dear King Pariksit, I have now described the wonderful power of Krsna, as displayed when the Lord delivered the King of the elephants. O best of the Kuru dynasty, those who hear this narration become fit to be promoted to the higher planetary systems
- My dear Vidura, chief of the Kurus, in this way King Prthu and all the others who subsist on food created different types of calves and milked out their respective eatables. Thus they received their various foodstuffs, which were symbolized as milk
- Nakula began lamenting: "O, all auspiciousness to Krsna! I am so surprised to see that the condemned descendants of the Kurus, who so unlawfully occupied the throne of the Kuru kingdom, are at the same time criticizing Krsna with diplomatic devices"
- Napta, or Bhurisrava: Bhurisrava was the son of Somadatta, a member of the Kuru family. His other brother was Salya. Both the brothers and the father attended the svayamvara ceremony of Draupadi
- No one in the world can enjoy anything if members of the Kuru dynasty like Bhisma, Dronacarya and Arjuna do not allow them to
- Now for the first time in a kingdom well protected by the arms of the kings of the Kuru dynasty, I see you grieving with tears in your eyes. Up till now no one on earth has ever shed tears because of royal negligence
- Now using good sense, they said (Kurus), "O Lord Balarama, reservoir of all pleasures, You are the maintainer and support of the entire cosmic situation. Unfortunately we were all unaware of Your inconceivable potencies"
- O best amongst the Kurus, the clouds which carry water are the hairs on His head, the terminations of days or nights are His dress, and the supreme cause of material creation is His intelligence. His mind is the moon, the reservoir of all changes
- O best of the Kuru dynasty, after he drank some water, King Ambarisa, meditating upon the Supreme Personality of Godhead within his heart, waited for the return of the great mystic Durvasa Muni
- O best of the Kuru dynasty, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, the Supersoul of everyone, being thus pleased, addressed Gajendra in the presence of everyone there. He spoke the following blessings
- O best of the Kurus, I have already described (in the Third Canto) the activities of Kapila, the son of Devahuti. Now I shall describe the activities of Yajnapati, the son of Akuti
- O best of the Kurus, when Kasyapa Muni had been properly received and welcomed, he took his seat and then spoke as follows to his wife, Aditi, who was very morose
- O chief of the Kuru dynasty, the Vedic wisdom became manifested from the mouth of the virat, the gigantic form
- O descendant of Kuru, Brahma, the most independent demigod of the universe, accompanied by his followers, came to see the terrible fight for the sake of the world between the demon and the Personality of Godhead, who appeared in the form of a boar
- O Maharaja Pariksit, best of the Kuru dynasty, the Lord's lotus feet rested on the shoulders of His carrier, Garuda, and He appeared with eight long, mighty, very beautiful arms
- O Maharaja Pariksit, pleasure of your dynasty, I have now described to you everything about the wonderful activities of the Supreme Personality of Godhead Vamanadeva. Those who hear about this are certainly freed from all the results of sinful activities
- O son of Kuru, when there is an increase in the mode of ignorance madness, illusion, inertia and darkness are manifested. BG 14.13 - 1972
- O son of Kuru, when there is an increase in the mode of ignorance, madness, illusion, inertia & darkness are manifested
- Once Bhima was administered poison in a cake, once they were put into the house made of shellac and set afire, and once Draupadi was dragged out, and attempts were made to insult her by stripping her naked in the vicious assembly of the Kurus
- Our Kuruksetra battle is a conflict between Kurus and Pandavas. So after the conflict, the Pandavas became the kings. So that is admitted; without conflict, you cannot make progress
- Out of a loving desire to see the Lord, the royal ladies of the Kurus got up on top of the palace, and smiling with affection and shyness, they showered flowers upon the Lord
- Persecuted by the demoniac kings, the Yadavas left their own kingdom and entered various others, like those of the Kurus, Pancalas, Kekayas, Salvas, Vidarbhas, Nisadhas, Videhas and Kosalas - SB 10.2.3
- Please tell me whether the best friend of the Kurus, our brother-in-law Vasudeva, is doing well. He is very munificent. He is like a father to his sisters, and he is always pleasing to his wives
- Samba was also a maha-rathi, but he was alone and had to fight with the six other maha-rathis. Still he was not deterred when he saw all the great fighters of the Kuru dynasty coming up behind him to arrest him
- Samba, the glorious son of the Yadu dynasty, endowed with inconceivable potencies as the son of Lord Krsna, became very angry at the warriors of the Kuru dynasty. A lion is never afraid of being chased by many wolves and jackals
- Sambara, Viduratha and Rukmi, as also great warriors like Kamboja, Matsya, Kuru, Srnjaya and Kekaya, would all fight vigorously, either with the Lord Hari directly or with Him under His names of Baladeva, Arjuna, Bhima, etc
- Sanjaya said: My dear descendant of the Kuru dynasty (Yudhisthira), I have no information of the determination of your two uncles and Gandhari. O King, I have been cheated by those great souls
- She (Laksmana, Duryodhana's daughter) was a very highly qualified girl of the Kuru dynasty, and many princes wanted to marry her. In such cases, the svayamvara ceremony is held so that the girl may select her husband according to her own choice
- Since the sons and grandsons of Dhrtarastra were all killed in the Battle of Kuruksetra, the last son of the dynasty is designated as the son of the Kurus
- Sri Maitreya said: O best amongst the Kurus, the great sage Kapila, moved by great compassion and pleased by the words of His glorious mother, spoke as follows
- Sri Sukadeva Gosvami said: Kasyapa Muni, thinking in this way, became somewhat angry. Condemning himself, O Maharaja Pariksit, descendant of Kuru, he spoke to Diti as follows
- Sukadeva Gosvami continued: O best of the Kuru dynasty (King Pariksit), Kamsa was fiercely cruel and was actually a follower of the Raksasas. Therefore he could be neither pacified nor terrified by the good instructions given by Vasudeva - SB 10.1.46
- Sukadeva Gosvami continued: The Lord, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Anantadeva, being very much pleased with the prayers offered by Citraketu, the King of the Vidyadharas, replied to him as follows, O best of the Kuru dynasty, Maharaja Pariksit
- Sukadeva Gosvami said: My dear Maharaja Pariksit, son of the Kuru dynasty, when Lord Parasurama was given this order by his father, he immediately agreed, saying, "Let it be so." For one complete year he traveled to holy places
- Sukadeva Gosvami said: O best of the Kurus, Maharaja Pariksit, the demigods and demons summoned Vasuki, king of the serpents, requesting him to come and promising to give him a share of the nectar
- Sukadeva Gosvami said: O best of the Kurus, while Bali Maharaja was describing his fortunate position in this way, the most dear devotee of the Lord, Prahlada Maharaja, appeared there, like the moon rising in the nighttime
- Supreme Personality of Godhead, Lord Balarama, immediately (when Kurus offer their respectful obeisance) became softened and assured them that there was no cause for fear and that they need not worry
- Suta Gosvami said: While Maharaja Pariksit was residing in the capital of the Kuru empire, the symptoms of the age of Kali began to infiltrate within the jurisdiction of his state
- That Nara-Narayana Rsi, who is a partial expansion of Krsna, has now appeared in the dynasties of Yadu and Kuru, in the forms of Krsna and Arjuna respectively, to mitigate the burden of the world
- The disappearance of the Krsna sun may be explained as follows, according to the commentary of Visvanatha Cakravarti. Vidura was struck with sorrow when he got the hint of the annihilation of the Yadu dynasty as well as his own family, the Kuru dynasty
- The elder members of the family, such as Bhisma, wanted to arrest him (Samba). Thus all the members of the Kuru dynasty, especially the great fighters, joined together just to teach him a lesson, and Karna was made the commander in chief
- The female members of the Kuru dynasty and the Yadu dynasty took the opportunity to meet with one another and engage in talk of Lord Krsna’s transcendental past
- The friendly kings of the Kurus and the Pandavas were represented by Bhisma, Dhrtarastra, the five Pandava brothers, King Drupada, King Santardana and Rukmini's father, Bhismaka
- The grandsire of the Kuru dynasty (Bhisma) could understand the inner meaning of the heart of his grandson Duryodhana, and out of his natural compassion for him he tried to cheer him by blowing his conchshell very loudly, befitting his position as a lion
- The great sage Maitreya addressed Vidura as a warrior not only because Vidura belonged to the Kuru family but because he was anxious to hear about the chivalrous activities of the Lord in His incarnations of Varaha and Nrsimha
- The guests from many kingdoms, like Srnjaya, Kamboja, Kuru, Kekaya & Kosala, were present with their different flags & gorgeously decorated elephants, chariots, horses & soldiers. All of them passed in a procession, with Yudhisthira in the forefront
- The Kuru dynasty may be considered more glorious due to the presence of devotees like the five Pandavas, who rendered unalloyed devotional service
- The Kurus said, "Our dear Lord (Balarama), You have appeared on this earth in Your transcendental body just for the maintenance of the cosmic situation. You are above all anger, envy and enmity"
- The Kurus thought, "If they (Yadus) come to challenge us because their son was arrested, we shall accept the fight & teach them a lesson, automatically they will be subdued under pressure, as the senses are subdued by the mystic yoga process of pranayam"
- The Kurus thought, "The kings of the Kuru dynasty are the emperors whereas the kings of the Yadu dynasty are able to enjoy their land only because we have granted it to them"
- The leaders of the Kurus, especially Dhrtarastra & Duryodhana, were joyful because they knew very well that Balarama was a great well-wisher of Kurus. There were no bounds to their joy on hearing the news (Balarama arrived), & so they welcomed Uddhava
- The Pandavas, or the Kurus, are sometimes addressed as Bharata due to being born in the dynasty of the famous Maharaja Bharata, the son of King Dusyanta
- The prominent members of the Kuru dynasty, from grandfather Bhismadeva to Arjuna and Duryodhana, had offered their respectful prayers
- The warriors of the Kuru dynasty (Karna, Sala, Bhuri, Yajnaketu, Duryodhana and Bhismadeva) accepted their great victory and took their daughter, Laksmana, away from him (Samba). Thereafter, they entered the city of Hastinapura in great triumph
- Then Bhisma, the great valiant grandsire of the Kuru dynasty, the grandfather of the fighters, blew his conchshell very loudly like the sound of a lion, giving Duryodhana joy. BG 1.12 - 1972
- Then, O Vidura, the Lord caused all the kings, both the enemies & those on the side of your fighting nephews, to be killed in the Battle of Kuruksetra. All those kings were so great and strong that the earth seemed to shake as they traversed the warfield
- There were the rulers of Matsya Province, Usinara Province, Kosala Province, Vidarbha Province, Kuru Province, Srnjaya Province, Kamboja Province, Kekaya Province, Madras Province
- Thereafter (after Krsna's birth ceremony), my dear King Pariksit, O best protector of the Kuru dynasty, Nanda Maharaja appointed the local cowherd men to protect Gokula and then went to Mathura to pay the yearly taxes to King Kamsa - SB 10.5.19
- They (Dhrtarastra, Bhisma, Vidura and Arjuna) decided that he (Samba) must be punished. They unanimously declared that he was most impudent and had degraded the Kurus' family tradition
- They (Krsna and Balarama) then saw Krpacarya, Vidura, Gandhari and Drona. Other members of the Kuru dynasty were not sorry, because they wanted the Pandavas and their mother to be killed
- They (Kurus) simply wanted to see Him (Balarama) exhibit His inconceivable strength. Thus with great pleasure they handed over their daughter to Samba, and the whole matter was settled
- They all exchanged words of reception by asking one another about their welfare, and when such formalities were finished, Balarama, in a great voice and very patiently, submitted before them (the Kurus) the following words for their consideration
- They did not even observe common formalities of civilized society, and in the presence of Lord Balarama they uttered insulting words about the Yadu dynasty. Having spoken in this unmannerly way, they returned to their city of Hastinapura
- This is the whole history of Mahabharata, intriguing, politics, and ultimately there was fight between the two parties, Kurus and the Pandavas, to decide. By logic, by morality and other things, everything failed. Then there was declaration of war
- This sudra son of the Kuru dynasty was equally treated by Bhismadeva, along with his other nephews, and in due course Vidura was married with a girl who was also born in the womb of a sudrani by a brahmana
- Those who are on the spiritual path are resolute in purpose, and their aim is one. O beloved child of the Kurus, the intelligence of those who are irresolute is many-branched
- Those who are on this path are resolute in purpose, and their aim is one. O beloved child of the Kurus, the intelligence of those who are irresolute is many-branched
- Those who are on this path are resolute in purpose, and their aim is one. O beloved child of the Kurus, the intelligence of those who are irresolute is many-branched. BG 2.41 - 1972
- We (the Kurus) are connected with the Yadu dynasty by marriage, and because of this they have been given the chance to come live with us, dine with us and sleep with us; now they are taking advantage of these privileges
- We (the Kurus) have allowed the Yadu dynasty to use the royal insignias like the whisk, fan, conchshell, white umbrella, crown, royal throne, sitting place and bedstead, along with everything else befitting the royal order
- We Kurus, can't allow them (the Yadus) to do any more of these things, nor shall we allow them to use these royal insignias. Best to take all these things away; it is improper to feed a snake with milk, since merciful activities simply increase his venom
- When all the members of the Kuru dynasty saw that their city was about to fall into the water of the Ganges, and when they heard their citizens howling in great anxiety, they immediately came to their senses and understood what was happening
- When Lord Balarama spoke in a commanding tone full of heroic assertion, supremacy and chivalry, the leaders of the Kuru dynasty did not appreciate His statements. Rather, all of them became agitated, and with great anger they said
- When Samba forcibly took away Laksmana, the elder members of the Kuru dynasty were pleased to see that he was actually the suitable match for her
- When the different queens of Lord Krsna were submitting their statements as to how they had been married and accepted by Lord Krsna as His wives, all the female members of the Kuru dynasty were struck with wonder
- When the sons of Dhrtarastra tried to disrobe Draupadi in the assembly of the Kurus, Bhisma and Drona were silent, and for such negligence of duty they should be killed
- When there were differences between the two families, the sons of Dhrtarastra were known as Kurus whereas the sons of Pandu were known as Pandavas
- While making the plan to arrest Samba, the Kurus counseled amongst themselves that upon his arrest the members of the Yadu dynasty would be very angry with them. There was every possibility of the Yadus' accepting the challenge and fighting with them
- While talking about finishing off the whole Kuru Dynasty, Lord Balarama seemed so furious that He looked as if He could burn the whole cosmic creation to ashes
- Why did He (Krsna) not chastise the Kurus immediately?" When Draupadi was insulted in the assembly by the Kurus by their attempt to see her naked in the presence of all, the Lord protected Draupadi by supplying an unlimited length of clothing
- With the permission of the head of the Yadu dynasty, King Ugrasena, they (the members of the Yadu dynasty) prepared to attack the capital city of the Kuru dynasty
- Without waiting another second (when Kurus saw their city was falling into Ganges) they brought forward their daughter Laksmana. They also brought Samba, who had forcibly tried to take her away, keeping him in the forefront with Laksmana at his back