Category:Renounced Order of Life
This category has the following 6 subcategories, out of 6 total.
- ► God Gives Renunciation (empty)
Pages in category "Renounced Order of Life"
The following 179 pages are in this category, out of 179 total.
- A brahmacari, or one who has not accepted the grhastha-asrama (family life), must rigidly avoid talking with women or about women, for the senses are so powerful that they may agitate even the mind of a sannyasi, a member of the renounced order of life
- A brahmacari, or student, should perform sacrifices, a householder should give charity, and a person in the retired life or in the renounced order should practice penances and austerities
- A person in the renounced order of life may try to avoid even a dress to cover himself. If he wears anything at all, it should be only a loincloth, and when there is no necessity, a sannyasi should not even accept a danda
- A person in the renounced order should always chant the holy name of the Lord. He should beg some alms to eat, and he should sustain his life in this way
- A person should not be in the renounced order of life unless he is firmly convinced of being protected by the Lord
- A sannyasi in the renounced order is certainly part and parcel of the complete whole, just as a shining molecular particle of sunshine is part and parcel of the sun itself. Krsna is like the sun, full of six opulences
- A sannyasi is supposed to be free from the reactions of his past activities, but a person who is in Krsna consciousness automatically attains this perfection without even accepting the so-called order of renunciation
- A vairagi (a person in the renounced order) should not depend on others. If he does so, he will be unsuccessful, and he will be neglected by Krsna
- A vairagi a person in the renounced order should not depend on others. If he does so, he will be unsuccessful, and he will be neglected by Krsna
- A very good example is set here: the husband goes away, taking the sannyasa order for self-realization, but his representative, the son, who is equally educated, remains at home to deliver the mother
- A well-to-do householder Vaisnava cannot live like a person in the renounced order who completely takes shelter of the holy name
- According to the Vedic system, a sannyasi, a person in the renounced order of life, is dressed in saffron-colored garments
- Advaita Acarya said, "You are a reject paramahamsa, and You have accepted the renounced order of life just to fill up Your belly. I can understand that Your business is to give trouble to brahmanas"
- All the acaryas who voluntarily accepted the renounced order of life aimed at benefiting human society
- All the rules and regulations apply equally to the householder and the sannyasi, the member of the renounced order of life. The grhastha, however, is given permission by the spiritual master to indulge in sex during the period favorable for procreation
- Although all the sannyasis we have initiated in ISKCON are young, we have awarded them the titles of the renounced order of life, svami and gosvami, because they have completely dedicated their lives to preach the cult of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu
- Although Ramananda Raya was a householder, he was not under the control of the six kinds of bodily changes. Although apparently a pounds-and-shillings man, he advised even persons in the renounced order
- Arjuna said, O mighty-armed one, I wish to understand the purpose of renunciation (tyaga) and of the renounced order of life (sannyasa), O killer of the Kesi demon, Hrsikesa. BG 18.1 - 1972
- Arjuna, Prahlada, Janaka Maharaja, Bali Maharaja and many other devotees were not even in the renounced order of life, but were householders. Some of them, such as Prahlada Maharaja and Bali Maharaja, were born of demoniac families
- At last he found a fault. "How can a person in the renounced order eat so many sweetmeats?" he said. "If one eats sweets, controlling the senses is very difficult"
- At the mature old age, say 65-70 years, everyone must accept the renounced order of Sannyas; if not in dress, then in action positively
- Because Paramananda Puri was a sannyasi, he was called Puri Gosvami. By careful scrutiny, therefore, one will find that gosvami is not the title for a certain caste; rather, it is properly the title for a person in the renounced order
- Being very advanced in the renounced order, Sanatana Gosvami used to wander from forest to forest, never taking shelter of any habitation built of stone. He used to live under trees or beneath bushes both day and night
- Better than the renounced order is cultivation of knowledge mixed with devotional service. Yet all these activities are external to the activities of the spiritual world. There is no touch of pure devotional service in them
- Bhagavan Acarya’s father, whose name was Satananda Khan, was an expert statesman, whereas Bhagavan Acarya was not at all interested in the management of the state. Indeed, he was almost in the renounced order of life
- Bhagavata-dharma is purely devotional service of the Lord to which the monist has no access. The monist is not counted amongst the paramahamsas (the most perfect of the renounced order of life)
- Bhagiratha said: Those who are saintly because of devotional service & are therefore in the renounced order, free from material desires, and who are pure devotees, expert in following the regulative principles mentioned in the Vedas, are always glorious
- Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati did not recognize the caste gosvamis because they were not in the line of the six gosvamis in the renounced order who were direct disciples of Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu
- By controlling the mind, by subduing the senses, by accepting the renounced order of life and by performing the prescribed duties of one's social order; by performing the different divisions of yoga practice, one realizes Supreme Personality of Godhead
- Devahuti's husband had already left home and accepted the renounced order of life, and then her only son, Kapila, left home
- Devotees and saintly persons advanced in the renounced order can deliver even the Ganges. Because saintly devotees always keep the Lord within the core of their hearts, they can perfectly cleanse the holy places of all sinful reactions
- Devotional life means renounced life. Vairagya-vidya, vairagya means renunciation. Anyone who has no more interest in materialistic way of life, that is bhakti-yoga
- Devotional service by self-realization is a different subject matter. It is untouched by fruitive activity, for one surrenders the results of activities to the Lord, abandons prescribed duties and accepts the renounced order of life
- Even if one has accepted the renounced order of life without sufficient knowledge, he should engage himself fully in hearing from a bona fide spiritual master to cultivate knowledge
- Even though one is in the renounced order, one who is advanced certainly feels compassion for suffering living entities. One should certainly neglect his own personal interests, although they may be very important, to protect one who has surrendered
- Eventually two brahmanas in the renounced order arrived from Bengal, and Madhavendra Puri, who liked them very much, kept them in Vrndavana and gave them all kinds of comforts
- Females are not meant for the renounced order of life; they should be faithful to their good husbands, for if a husband is competent for liberation, his wife will also achieve liberation with him
- For a transcendentalist, therefore, who at all wants to be promoted to the kingdom beyond material miseries, it is worse than suicide to deliberately indulge in sex life, especially in the renounced order of life
- For one who is in the renounced order of life, this is (be allured by the glamor of the householder's worldly possessions) much more dangerous than drinking poison and committing suicide
- For one who is not renounced, the threefold fruits of action-desirable, undesirable and mixed-accrue after death. But those who are in the renounced order of life have no such results to suffer or enjoy. BG 18.12 - 1972
- Gandhari, daughter of Subala of Kandahar, followed her husband, seeing that he was going to the Himalayas, which are the delight of those who have accepted the staff of the renounced order like fighters who have accepted a good lashing from the enemy
- Generally there are two kinds of philosophers in the renounced order of life. The goal of one is nirvana, and the goal of the other is the impersonal Brahman effulgence
- He (Lord Caitanya) said that it does not matter whether the preacher is in the renounced order of life, or a family man, or a brahmana or a sudra - nothing is hampering in the process of preaching Krishna Consciousness
- He is in the supreme order of renounced life. Indeed, he does not care about eating or dressing. Somehow or other he eats and maintains his life
- Hearing the description of Raghunatha dasa's behavior in the renounced order, his father and mother were very unhappy. Therefore they decided to send Raghunatha some men with goods for his comfort
- Here is a person coming near. He will give me something. This person gave me something last night. Now another person is coming near. He may give me something
- I am a poor sannyasi, I cannot abandon the duties of the renounced order, and therefore I follow them strictly
- I have accepted this renounced order of life in 1958, and since then I am completely devoted to the service of His Divine Grace Srila Prabhupada
- I have decided not to give Jayananda das the sannyasa order of life at this time, let him wait
- I was living in a holy place called Vrndavana. I retired from my family life in 1954. Then, in 1959, I took sannyasa order. This is called renounced order of life. No family connection
- If one can mold his family life in this way to develop Krsna consciousness, following these four principles, then there is no need to change from family life to renounced life
- If you have no intelligence, if you cannot do anything independently, just be obedient to the other, higher three classes. That is sudra. He must agree to abide by the orders of brahmana, ksatriyas, vaisya. That's all
- In all the four spiritual orders - the student, the householder, the retired, and the renounced - and especially the householder order, Visnu was being worshiped
- In Bhagavad-gita it is recommended that even though one enters the renounced order of life, he still cannot give up the performance of yajna, dana and tapasya. They are never to be given up
- Indeed, his mind is agitated even if one is in the renounced order of life
- It is said that a person in the renounced order of life should not cook for himself. Cooking for oneself is prohibited, but cooking for the Supreme Lord is not prohibited
- Jagadananda Pandita says, "Do not think of women even in dreams. You have accepted the renounced order of life with a vow that forbids you to associate with women"
- Jagadananda Pandita says, "My dear brother, you are in the renounced order of life and should not listen to talk about ordinary worldly things, nor should you talk about worldly things when you meet with others"
- Let us offer our respectful obeisances unto that direction where the Supreme Personality of Godhead is situated, where those purified souls in the renounced order of life, the great saintly persons, go, and from which, having gone, they never return
- Lord Krsna said, "After being relieved of his attachments to the materialistic way of life, one may accept the order of sannyasa"
- Lord Narayana is the ultimate goal of sannyasis, those in the renounced order of life, and Narayana is worshiped through this sankirtana movement by those who are liberated from material contamination. Indeed, they recite the holy name again and again
- Many devotees fall down due to illicit sex. They may steal money and even fall down from the highly honored renounced order. Then for a livelihood they accept menial services and become beggars
- Mother Saci continued, "After accepting the renounced order, Visvarupa never again gave me audience. If You do like Him, that will certainly be the death of me"
- My Spiritual Master used to send preachers who were all in the renounced order of life (sannyasis), but I am doing a completely different process - namely, preparing some young couples of husband and wife to take up this job
- O learned brahmana, sometimes I accept the renounced order of life to induce the fallen people of the Age of Kali to accept devotional service to the Lord
- Of the four orders of human society - the student, or brahmacari order, the householder, or grhastha order, the retired, or vanaprastha order, and the renounced, or sannyasi order - the householder is on the safe side
- One does not need to be in the renounced order of life; he can remain in his present condition of life, but he must search out the association of a bona fide devotee of the Lord and hear from him the transcendental message
- One does not take sannyasa, freedom from family responsibility in the renounced order of life, to make another family or to create an embarrassing transcendental fraud in the name of sannyasa
- One has to return to the austerities & penances formerly practiced in brahmacari life & thus relieve himself of the attachment to household life. After being relieved of his attachments to materialistic way of life, one may accept the order of sannyasa
- One must give the fruits of his activities to the Supreme Brahman, Para-brahman, Krsna. By doing so, one actually situates himself in the renounced order of life, sannyasa
- One should not adopt this order (sannyasa) as a means of livelihood or for some material purpose
- One who attains detachment may at once adopt the fourth order, namely, renounced, and thus live on charity only, not to accumulate wealth, but just to keep body and soul together for ultimate realization
- One who has the sex desire still with him should not at all try to accept the renounced order of life
- One who is in the renounced order of life should not be allured by the glamor of the householder's worldly possessions and thus become subservient to worldly men
- One who is spiritually situated does not think that he is the body. Therefore he can transcendentally execute severe penances in the renounced order of life
- People become awestruck when they learn that the life span on Brahmaloka is many millions of years. One has to undergo severe austerities and renunciation, accepting the sannyasa order of life, in order to reach Brahmaloka
- Persons learned in the Vedas, who utter omkara and who are great sages in the renounced order, enter into Brahman. Desiring such perfection, one practices celibacy. I (Krsna) shall now explain to you this process by which one may attain salvation
- Persons learned in the Vedas, who utter omkara and who are great sages in the renounced order, enter into Brahman. Desiring such perfection, one practices celibacy. I shall now explain to you this process by which one may attain salvation. BG 8.11 - 1972
- Persons who are learned in the Vedas, who utter omkara and who are great sages in the renounced order enter into Brahman. Desiring such perfection, one practices celibacy
- Practically my spiritual master insisted me through him, that "You accept." Because without accepting the renounced order of life, nobody can become a preacher
- Prajapati Daksa argued that although the renounced order is recommended for liberation, one cannot attain liberation unless one fulfills his obligations to the demigods, the saints and his father
- Ramananda Raya was not among the Mayavadi impersonalists or materialistic logicians who are opposed to the principles of Lord Krsna's transcendental pastimes. He was already spiritually situated in the order of renounced life
- Recently I have given Sannyas order of life to six Brahmacaris. They have been sent in different parts of the country for preaching work and two of them might go with me to join you
- Renouncement means to renounce these material activities, Stop you animalistic life and begin your spiritual life, Fruitive activities (seeking sense gratification) are causes for material bondage
- Rukmini continued, "My Lord, You have stated that only the beggars praise Your glories, & that is also perfectly correct. But who are those beggars? Those beggars are all exalted devotees, liberated personalities & those in the renounced order of life"
- Sages said, "Eventually he (a self-controlled person) should give up householder life and accept the renounced order, engaging himself completely in the devotional service of the Lord"
- Sannyasi is supposed to be renounced order. He has nothing to do with this material world. Then why should he come to the social order or philanthropic order? That is his falldown
- Sannyasi means he is in renounced order and lives by begging alms for the bare necessities of life. It is not good to make trade to get money for personal expenditure
- Sannyasi, renounced order. There is no problem. You sit down underneath a tree and so many residents will come: "My dear sannyasi, will you please come and take prasadam?" So many people invite
- Sannyasis who do not take advantage of this life to realize Krsna simply waste their time and energy in activities outside the jurisdiction of the renounced order
- Sarvabhauma then said, "Please accept the invitation for twenty days." But Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu replied, "It is not a religious principle of the renounced order"
- Self-controlled persons who are attached to the Supreme Lord Sri Krsna can all of a sudden give up the world of material attachment, including the gross body and subtle mind, and go away to attain the highest perfection of the renounced order of life
- Since Daksa's sons (Haryasvas and Savalasvas) had not liberated themselves from these three debts (obligations to the demigods, the saints and their father), how could Narada Muni have led them to the renounced order of life?
- Since these offspring (sixty daughters) of Daksa were women, Narada Muni did not try to lead them toward the renounced order of life. Thus the daughters were saved from Narada Muni
- So while the Lord approved of householders having regulated sex, He was like a thunderbolt with those in the renounced order who tried to cheat by the method known as "drinking water under water while bathing on a fast day"
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu ordered Jiva Gosvami, Rupa Gosvami and Sanatana Gosvami to preach, and He ordered Raghunatha dasa Gosvami to strictly follow the rules and regulations of the renounced order
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu performed many pastimes at Jagannatha Puri. Seeing the severe penances performed by Raghunatha dasa in the renounced order, the Lord was greatly satisfied
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu said, "If you all adopt the renounced order and lose interest in dealing with pounds, shillings and pence, who will take charge of maintaining your large family"
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu said, "My mind is not under My control. It does not like to see anyone in the renounced order who talks intimately with women"
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu said, "The King must personally realize the money that is due. I am but a sannyasi, a member of the renounced order. What can I do"
- Sri Krsna is always meditated upon by the paramahamsas, those who are most perfect in the renounced order of life
- Sri Krsna is always meditated upon by the paramahamsas, who are the perfected ones among those in the renounced order of life
- Sri Nama, CD 3 - Either you stay at your home as a householder, or you stay in the forest as the renounced order of life, it does not make difference, but you have to chant the maha-mantra, Hare Krsna
- Sri Ranga Puri also remembered that one of her deserving sons had accepted the renounced order at a very young age. His name was Sankararanya
- Srila Gopala Bhatta Gosvami accepted the tridanda-sannyasa order from Tridandipada Prabodhananda Sarasvati
- Srila Visvanatha Cakravarti Thakura remarks in this connection that if sannyasis (persons in the renounced order of life, who have left their homes for self-realization) do not engage themselves in the devotional service of the Lord
- Srimad-Bhagavatam should therefore be received from the representative of Sukadeva, who must be in the renounced order of life without family encumbrance
- Sripada Sankaracarya has given special stress to the study of Vedanta philosophy: "A sannyasi, accepting the renounced order very strictly and wearing nothing more than a loincloth, should always enjoy the philosophical statements in the Vedanta-sutra"
- Subuddhi Raya and Sanatana Gosvami had known each other before accepting the renounced order. Therefore Subuddhi Raya showed much affection to Sanatana Gosvami, but Sanatana Gosvami hesitated to accept his sentiments and affections
- That man inquired from Sivananda Sena, Did you see anyone in the renounced order at the residence of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu
- The Blessed Lord said: One who is unattached to the fruits of his work and who works as he is obligated is in the renounced order of life, and he is the true mystic: not he who lights no fire and performs no work. - BG 6.1 - 1972
- The duty of a person in the renounced order is to chant the Hare Krsna mantra always. He should satisfy his belly with whatever vegetables, leaves, fruits and roots are available
- The four divisions of retired life are the vaikhanasas, valakhilyas, audumbaras and phenapas. The four divisions of the renounced order of life are the kuticakas, bahvodas, hamsas and niskriyas. All these were manifested from Brahma
- The gopis continued, "We (gopis) can understand that family affection is very strong. Even great sages who have taken to the renounced order of life cannot give up family affection cent percent. Sometimes they think of their family members"
- The Haryasvas began practicing austerities, penances and meditation, which are the engagements of the highly exalted renounced order of life
- The ksatriya who dies directly in front of the battlefield under Krsna's personal orders and the person in the renounced order of life who is absolutely devoted to spiritual culture, are eligible to enter into the sun globe
- The Lord replied, "I cannot tolerate seeing the face of a person who has accepted the renounced order of life but who still talks intimately with a woman"
- The man in the renounced order of life has no wife and may be driven by sex desire to seek another woman or another's wife and thus go to hell
- The materialistic men do not care to listen to such injunctions. According to them, the so-called renounced order of life is meant for those who are unable to earn their livelihood
- The monist is not counted amongst the paramahamsas (the most perfect of the renounced order of life)
- The process of chanting the holy name of the Lord is so powerful that by this chanting even householders (grhasthas) can very easily gain the ultimate result achieved by persons in the renounced order
- The renounced order is meant for contributing something substantial to society and not depending on the earnings of the householders
- The renounced order of life can be accepted when one has been purified by the discharge of the prescribed form of duties which are laid down just to purify the hearts of materialistic men
- The so-called man of the renounced order, who has left his house and wife, goes to hell if he again desires sexual pleasure, knowingly or unknowingly. In that way the householders are on the side of safety
- The Supreme Lord said, To give up the results of all activities is called renunciation (tyaga) by the wise. And that state is called the renounced order of life (sannyasa) by great learned men. BG 18.2 - 1972
- The very word "king" suggests one who is always surrounded by money and women. As a sannyasi, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu was afraid of both money and women. The very word "king" is repugnant to one who is in the renounced order of life
- The word 'muni' refers to one who is thoughtful, one who is grave or silent, an ascetic, one who keeps great vows, one in the renounced order and a saint. These are the different meanings of the word 'muni'
- The words of Sri Krsna Caitanya Mahaprabhu are firm and convincing, and I accept them as true. In this Age of Kali, one cannot be delivered from the material clutches simply by formally accepting the renounced order
- There are many persons with little in their possession who accept the renounced order of life like monkeys. They go here and there engaging in sense gratification and speaking intimately with women
- There is no essential difference between a fully surrendered soul and a person in the renounced order of life. The only difference is that a fully surrendered soul is completely dependent upon Krsna
- These instructions apply not only to householders but also to tyagis, or those who are in the renounced order of life
- They (naisthika-brahmacaris) accept the order of sannyasa, or the renounced order of life, knowing well that combination with women is an unnecessary burden that checks self-realization
- They are not able to take up the spiritual path accepted by those in the renounced order. Although they are big heroes and political leaders, they cannot take to the path of spiritual realization
- They would ask those returning from Vrndavana, "How are Rupa and Sanatana doing in Vrndavana? What are their activities in the renounced order? How do they manage to eat?" These were the questions asked
- This incident manifests the mercy of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, His teaching that a sannyasi should remain in the renounced order, and the deep attachment to Him felt by His faithful devotees
- This knowledge and method (of Krsna consciousness) is distributed by the sannyasis; hence charity is to be given to the renouncer of life, to the brahmanas, and similar good causes, not to any whimsical cause
- This saffron dress is practically a passport for the mendicant and sannyasi to go anywhere
- Those who are householder, family men, they may have some deposit for emergency. Otherwise, those who are renounced order, those who are brahmacari, for them to keep money separately for his maintenance or for accumulating bank balance is not allowed
- Those who are in the renounced order of life and dedicated to the mission of preaching the message of Godhead should learn that they have no business with householders save and except to enlighten them in transcendental knowledge
- Those who are unfit for this order of life are strictly forbidden by the injunctions of the sastras to accept it
- Thus Ramacandra Puri stayed at Jagannatha Puri. As is customary for those in the renounced order, he would sometimes stay someplace and then go away
- Thus situated in the renounced order from the beginning of their lives, all three of them completely controlled the activities of their senses and thus became great saints
- Thus Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu performed many pastimes at Jagannatha Puri. Seeing the severe penances performed by Raghunatha dasa in the renounced order, the Lord was greatly satisfied
- We can understand that a mahat, or a great soul, is completely free from association of women. He is mahat. Therefore generally a spiritual master is selected amongst the renounced order of life, sannyasi
- We have seen many rich persons, many powerful persons, many famous persons, many beautiful persons, many learned and scholarly persons, and persons in the renounced order of life unattached to material possessions
- When he went away to take up the renounced order of life (sannyasa), leaving home without undergoing reformation by the sacred thread or the ceremonies observed by the higher castes, his father, Vyasadeva, fearing separation from him, cried out, O my son
- When one accepts the renounced order of life, he assumes the title of svami. This does not mean that he is the master of his family, community or society; he must be master of his senses
- When one accepts the renounced order of life, he automatically assumes the title of svami. This does not mean that he is the master of his family, community or society; he must be master of his senses
- When one gives up all fruitive activity and fully surrenders to the Lord, he attains sva-dharma-tyaga, wherein he abandons the social order and takes to the renounced order. That is certainly better
- When one is in full knowledge of one's constitutional position and is in the renounced order of life, detached from material attraction, then, by pure devotional service, bhakti-yuktena, he can engage himself as a loving servant of the Lord
- When one is in the renounced order, saving money is not recommended. However, if one saves money for the service of the Lord or a Vaisnava, that is accepted
- When Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu heard this, He was greatly satisfied. "Raghunatha dasa has done well," He said. He has acted suitably for a person in the renounced order
- When the husband takes the renounced order of life, namely sannyasa, the wife is to return home and become a saintly woman, setting an example for her children and daughters-in-law and showing them how to live a life of austerity
- Whether one is engaged in material activity involving pounds, shillings and pence or is in the renounced order, he should always think that he is an eternal servant of God, for that is the real position of the living being
- While Lord Caitanya approved of householders having regulated sex, He was like a thunderbolt with those in the renounced order who tried to cheat by the method known as “drinking water under water while bathing on a fast day
- With His followers in the renounced order, however, Lord Caitanya was very strict. He even banished Junior Haridasa, an important kirtana leader, for glancing lustfully at a woman
- Without purification, one cannot attain success by abruptly adopting the fourth order of life (sannyasa)
- Yadu, the son of Maharaja Yayati, explained that he was unable to give up his youth, for he wanted to use it to attain the renounced order in the future
- Yes, I shall be glad to meet with you in London during Rathayatra in a few weeks, and at that time I shall be very glad to give you the Sannyas order of life, so you may prepare for that
- You may be pleased to know that your husband has now taken sannyasa order of life for preaching the message of Lord Caitanya
- You will also have to explain Krsna's devotional service, establish centers for cultivation of love of Krsna, excavate lost places of pilgrimage and teach people how to adopt the renounced order