Collaborate with us to invoke and fully manifest Srila Prabhupada's Vani-presence.
fish | fishes | fishlike
This category has the following 5 subcategories, out of 5 total.
Pages in category "Fish"
The following 113 pages are in this category, out of 113 total.
- A fish is very expert in gratifying its tongue, but when it eats the bait offered by the fisherman, it loses its life
- A lotus flower on the water is very beautiful when surrounded by humming bees and fish
- Although Garuda was not under anyone’s order, being the carrier of Lord Visnu, he did not disobey the order of the great yogi. Instead of staying and eating many fish, he carried off one big fish, who was their leader
- As He (Caitanya Mahaprabhu) floated in the sea, He was washed away to the Konarka temple, where a fisherman, thinking that the Lord's body was a big fish, caught Him in his net and brought Him ashore
- As my initiated disciple you must strictly observe the four restrictions; namely no taking of intoxicants; no eating of meat, fish, or eggs; no illicit sex life; and no gambling. Follow the prescribed regulations for devotional service
- As the fish, being entangled, he struggles for existence, how to get out of the net... He's not peaceful. You will find, as soon as caught he's up in the net, "Fut! Fut! Fut! Fut! Fut!" He wants to get out
- As there were two incarnations of Varaha, there were also two incarnations of fish. The Lord appeared as one fish incarnation to save the Vedas by killing Hayagriva, and He assumed the other fish incarnation to show favor to King Satyavrata
- At the end of the millennium, the would-be Vaivasvata Manu, of the name Satyavrata, would see that the Lord in the fish incarnation is the shelter of all kinds of living entities, up to those in the earthly planets
- Because of this vaisnava-aparadha (when Garuda wanted to eat fish, Saubhari Muni unnecessarily gave the fish shelter under his care), an offense at the lotus feet of a Vaisnava, Saubhari Muni fell from his exalted position of mystic tapasya
- Better than the trees are the fish because fish have developed the sense of taste. Better than the fish are the bees, who have developed the sense of smell, and better than them are the serpents because serpents have developed the sense of hearing
- Demons and Raksasas are accustomed to eat meat, fish and similar nonvegetarian foods. Demons like Ravana, Kamsa and Hiranyakasipu, although born of brahmana and ksatriya fathers, used to take meat and flesh without discrimination
- Demons cannot understand the incarnations of the Lord; they think that His incarnations as a fish or boar or tortoise are big beasts only. They misunderstand the body of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, even in His human form, & they deride His descent
- During the reign of Caksusa Manu there was a king named Satyavrata, who was a great pious ruler. To save him, the Lord appeared as the fish incarnation (Matsya) for a second time
- Generally the goddess Kali is offered food containing meat and fish, and therefore Kasyapa Muni strictly forbade his wife (Diti) to take the remnants of such food
- Generally the goddess Kali is offered food containing meat and fish, and therefore Kasyapa Muni strictly forbade his wife to take the remnants of such food. Actually a Vaisnava is not allowed to take any food offered to the demigods
- He (Maharaja Drupada) arranged for Draupadi's personal selection of a groom who could pierce the eye of a fish hanging on the ceiling
- Here is a summary of Satyavrata's meeting with the fish incarnation of Lord Visnu. Lord Visnu's purpose was to take back all the Vedic literatures from the demon Hayagriva and restore them to Lord Brahma
- I lifted it with great care, thinking it a big fish, but as soon as I saw that it was a corpse, great fear arose in my mind
- I wander alone at night killing fish in solitary places, but because I remember the hymn to Lord Nrsimha, ghosts do not touch me
- If I do not think of Krsna, My impoverished mind will die within a moment like a fish out of water. But when I see Krsna's sweetly smiling face, My mind and eyes are so pleased that My desire for Him redoubles
- If you at the time of death think of that, how to swim very nicely within the water, that means next life nature will give you a fish life. You get it. That is God's mercy. Why you artificially try to become a fish? You become actually fish
- In Calcutta Museum, in our childhood - it may be still existing - we saw one skeleton of a fish that is bigger than this room, a skeleton. It is hanging on the ceiling
- In His (Krsna's) pastimes in the spiritual sky, He lies down in the Causal Ocean as Karanarnavasayi, the purusa-avatara. His incarnations as a fish, tortoise and so on are called His causal incarnations, or incarnations for particular occasions
- In the Western countries old men, retired from active life, play cards, fish, watch television and debate about useless socio-political schemes. All these and other frivolous activities are included in the prajalpa category
- Indeed, You diminished this burden formerly by incarnating in the form of a fish, a horse (Hayagriva), a tortoise, a lion (Lord Nrsimha), a boar (Lord Varaha) and a swan
- It is said, we learn from Bhagavata that also fish within the water, they have got so sensitive power that miles away if some enemy is coming, they can understand and they take shelter
- Kaliya took shelter within the water of the Yamuna for the following reason. Just as Garuda went to the island of the Kaliya snake, he also used to go to the Yamuna to catch fish to eat
- King Satyavrata wanted to show his own mercy, not knowing that the fish was Lord Visnu. Such service is called ajnata-sukrti
- Krsna's assuming the incarnation of a tortoise or a fish for serving a particular purpose is not at all astonishing. Therefore we should not have any hesitation whatsoever in accepting the statements of the authentic scriptures like Srimad-Bhagavatam
- Krsna's different expansions - namely Narayana, the quadruple expansion of Vasudeva, Sankarsana, Pradyumna and Aniruddha, as well as partial plenary expansions like Matsya, the incarnation of a fish - combine together and appear with the body of Krsna
- Kurma (the tortoise incarnation), Matsya (the fish), Nara-Narayana, Varaha (the boar), Hayasirsa, Prsnigarbha and Balarama are considered incarnations of vaibhava
- Laksmana said, "During the svayamvara, the prospective bridegrooms had to pierce the eyes of a fish with their arrows"
- Laksmana said, "Each of them (princes) desired to win me as his wife, and one after another they raised the bow and arrow left there for piercing the fish"
- Laksmana said, "He (Krsna) placed the arrow, and looking only once at the reflection of the fish in the water, He shot the arrow, and the pierced fish immediately fell down"
- Laksmana said, "Heroes like Jarasandha, Ambastha, Sisupala, Bhimasena, Duryodhana and Karna were, of course, able to string the bow, but they could not pierce the fish, because it was covered, and they could not trace it out from the reflection"
- Laksmana said, "His (Arjuna) arrow at least touched the fish, and so he proved himself better than all the other princes"
- Laksmana said, "Many (princes) could not even join the bowstring to the two ends of the bow, and without attempting to pierce the fish, they simply left the bow as it was and went away"
- Laksmana said, "The celebrated hero of the Pandavas, Arjuna, was able to see the reflection of the fish on the water, but although with great care he traced out the location of the fish and shot an arrow, he did not pierce the fish in the right spot"
- Laksmana said, "The difference between the competition in your svayamvara and mine was that in yours the fish was hanging openly on the ceiling, in clear view, but in mine the fish was covered and could be seen only by its reflection in a pot of water"
- Let us begin tracing the evolutionary process from the point of devastation (pralaya), when the whole universe is filled with water. At that time there are many fishes and other aquatics, and from these aquatics evolve creepers, trees, etc
- Lord has His eternal forms of unlimited variety, of which the fish incarnation, as was exhibited within this universe, is also one
- Lord Siva said, "Despite Your (Krsna) transcendental position, my Lord, in order to show Your six opulences and advertise Your transcendental qualities, You have appeared in Your different incarnations - fish, tortoise, boar, Nrsimha, Kesava"
- Of course by their collecting more money and giving to Krsna, He will relieve them of all anxiety of telling lies. But not everyone is able to catch the big fish without themselves becoming wet
- On hearing this statement from Pradyumna, the woman, Rati, replied, "My dear sir, you are the son of Lord Krsna. Before you were ten days old, you were stolen by the Sambara demon and later thrown into the water and swallowed by a fish"
- Once, at the end of the previous kalpa, a demon named Hayagriva wanted to take the Vedic knowledge away from Lord Brahma at the time of annihilation. Therefore the Supreme Personality of Godhead took the incarnation of a fish
- One day while Saubhari Muni, who was expert in chanting mantras, was sitting in a secluded place, he thought to himself about the cause of his falldown, which was simply that he had associated himself with the sexual affairs of the fish
- One of the cowherd boys said, "The hot wind that is blowing like a hurricane is his breathing, and the fishy bad smell coming out from his (the snake's) mouth is the smell of his intestines"
- One who cannot digest anything, he is recommended to eat this fish, magur mach. Jivo jivasya jivanam. One living entity is the life of another living entity
- Only by His (Krsna) merciful strength was I able to vanquish all the lusty princes assembled at the palace of King Drupada for the selection of the bridegroom. With my bow and arrow I could pierce the fish target and thereby gain the hand of Draupadi
- Our main problem is the sex life. That is... Because sex life is the basic principle of material life. Either you are human being or you are demigod or you are a bird, you are a beast, you are a fly, you are a fish, you are tree, plants - everything -
- Saubhari Muni regrets that he had bad association even in the deepest part of the water. Because of the bad association of the sexually engaged fish, he fell down. A secluded place is also not secure unless there is good association
- Saubhari Muni was sorry that one of the leaders of the fish was taken away by Garuda
- Saubhari Rsi was engaged in austerity, deep in the water of the River Yamuna, when he saw a pair of fish engaged in sexual affairs
- Some of the pastime incarnations are the fish incarnation, the tortoise incarnation, Lord Ramacandra, Lord Nrsimha, Lord Vamana and Lord Varaha. There is no end to them
- Sometimes it happens that one's father accumulates wealth by illegal ways, and the son takes away the money, although it is hard-earned by the father, just as a small fish in the ocean eats the material body of a large, old fish
- Soon after the cosmic creation, the entire universe was inundated with water. At that time Lord Krsna (Kesava) incarnated as a gigantic fish to protect the Vedas
- Sukadeva Gosvami described the history of Saubhari Muni, who, because of sensual agitation caused by fish, fell from his yoga and wanted to marry all the daughters of Mandhata for sexual pleasure. Later, Saubhari Muni became very regretful
- Surfer. I call "sufferer, Sea-sufferer." Sea-surfer, it is practical, because we are creating a situation by which we shall become a fish. Yes. Contamination. Just like if you purposely contaminate some disease, you must suffer from that disease
- That is God's creation. Take..., take out one fish; within five minutes he'll die. And you put yourself in the water; within five minutes you will die
- The difference between the life of the fish and my life
- The first personal expansion is Sankarsana, and the others are incarnations like the fish incarnation. Sankarsana is an expansion of the Purusa, or Visnu
- The fish brings up its offspring simply by looking at them. The tortoise brings up its offspring simply by meditation. The eggs of the tortoise are laid on land, and the tortoise meditates on the eggs while in the water
- The fish took the moon to be one of them or maybe something illuminating, but nothing more. The unfortunate persons who do not recognize Lord Krsna are like such fish. They take Him to be one of them
- The hands and legs of the infantry soldiers floated just like different kinds of fish, the hair of the soldiers floated like seaweed and moss, and the floating bows of the soldiers resembled waves of the river
- The impersonalists, who aspire to merge in the impersonal brahma-jyotir effulgence of the Supreme Lord (…), may be compared to certain species of fish, who, being born in the rivers and rivulets, migrate to the great ocean
- The incarnations such as Matsya, the fish incarnation, appear in different yugas for specific pastimes
- The Lord does not create the fish incarnation; He eternally has such a form, and the appearance and disappearance of such an incarnation serves particular purposes
- The river fishes sometimes go to the sea, but the sea fishes, they never come to the river. Similarly, there are living entities in the spiritual world. They never come in this material world. Their number is greater, at least three times greater
- The Sanskrit word moha-jala is very significant. Jala means "net"; like fish caught in a net, they have no way to come out
- The Supreme Lord relinquished the body which He manifested to diminish the burden of the earth. Just like a magician, He relinquishes one body to accept different ones, like the fish incarnation and others
- The Supreme Personality of Godhead is all-powerful, yet He accepted the form of an uncommon fish. This is one of the ten original incarnations of the Lord
- The Supreme Personality of Godhead took the incarnation of a fish (Matsya) at the beginning of the period of Svayambhuva Manu and saved the Vedas
- The water of the sea is certainly dreadful for all living entities on the land, but within the sea even the small fish is unafraid. Why? Because the small fish has taken shelter of the big ocean
- The yogi then meditates upon the beautiful face of the Lord, which is adorned with curly hair and decorated by lotuslike eyes and dancing eyebrows. A lotus surrounded by swarming bees and a pair of swimming fish would be put to shame by its elegance
- There is no question of nonvegetarian diet, including fish, eggs, even onions, and lentils
- There was, a great yogi known as Saubhari Muni who used to meditate within the water there and who was sympathetic with the fish. He asked Garuda not to come there and disturb the fish
- These respectable gentlemen replied, "At night in Kaliya Lake a fisherman lights a torch in his boat and catches many fish"
- Thinking of their protection, he (Saubhari Muni) cursed Garuda with the following words: "Henceforward, from this day, if Garuda comes here to catch fish, then - I say this with all my strength - he will be immediately killed"
- This practice (Demons eating meat and flesh without discrimination) is still prevalent in India, and those who eat meat and fish are generally called demons and Raksasas
- This trick (piercing the eye of a fish hanging on the ceiling) was especially made because only Arjuna could do it, and he (Maharaja Drupada) was successful in his desire to hand over his equally worthy daughter (Draupadi) to Arjuna
- This universe with all its planets is most unfortunate. And even more unfortunate are the members of the Yadu dynasty because they could not identify Lord Hari as the Personality of Godhead, any more than the fish could identify the moon
- This woman (Mayavati) was surprised to see how such a nice baby (Pradyumna) could remain within the belly of a fish, and the situation perplexed her
- Those who take the prasada of goddess Kali in the shape of flesh or fish are not actually taking the prasada left by goddess Kali, but the food left by the bhutas and pisacas
- Tormented by hunger and thirst, attacked by monstrous makaras and timingila fish and battered by the wind and waves, Markandeya Rsi moved aimlessly through the infinite darkness into which he had fallen
- Two sharks & two restless fish are swimming in the lake of your face. Besides them, the white rows of your teeth seem like rows of very beautiful swans in the water, & your scattered hair resembles swarms of bumblebees following the beauty of your face
- Water is a very nice place for a fish, but the fish is never free from anxiety about death, since big fish are always eager to eat the small fish. All living entities are eaten by bigger living entities. This is the way of material nature
- We are entangled with the network of this fabrication of material elements. Very difficult position. Just like the fish caught up in the net of the fisherman, or maya, similarly, we are now caught up within the network created by the material nature
- We should understand that He will not accept meat, fish and eggs. Vegetables, grains, fruits, milk and water are the proper foods for human beings and are prescribed by Lord Krsna Himself
- What is this meditation of wine, women and fish? He does not like us because we reject all other bogus philosophy. For that many people criticize me, but why should we accept nonsense. We accept Bhagavad-gita, as Krishna spoke it
- When Pradyumna was thrown into the sea, a big fish immediately swallowed him. Later this fish was caught in the net of a fisherman, and the fish was later sold to the Sambara demon
- When the cook was cutting the fish, he found within its stomach a nice baby (Pradyumna), which he immediately presented to the charge of Mayavati, who was an assistant in the kitchen affairs
- When the fish was presented to the demon Sambara, it was taken charge of by his cook, who was to make it into a palatable fish preparation
- When the Lord tried to walk, in His small footprints the specific marks of Lord Visnu were visible, namely the flag, thunderbolt, conchshell, disc and fish
- When there was a complete inundation after the period of the Caksusa Manu and the whole world was deep within water, the Lord (Matsya) accepted the form of a fish and protected Vaivasvata Manu, keeping him up on a boat
- When you go to God, you must have a body like God. Just like if you want to enter into the water, then you must have a body like a fish. Otherwise you cannot enter into the water
- Whenever the Lord appears, whether as a fish, a tortoise, a hog or any other form, one should understand that He maintains His transcendental position and that His only business, as stated here, is hatva - to kill the demons
- Within a week there would be an inundation throughout the universe and that the fish incarnation would protect the King, along with the rsis, herbs, seeds and other living entities, in a boat, which would be attached to the fish's horn
- You (the Supreme Lord) appear sometimes as an animal like Lord Boar, sometimes a mixed incarnation like Lord Nrsimha-deva and Lord Hayagriva, and sometimes an aquatic like Lord Fish and Lord Tortoise
- Your (Purvacitti) face is as beautiful as a pleasing lake. Your jeweled earrings resemble two brilliant sharks with unblinking eyes like those of Visnu, and your own eyes resemble two restless fish
- Your Lordship previously accepted incarnations as a fish, a horse, a tortoise, Narasimhadeva, a boar, a swan, Lord Ramacandra, Parasurama and, among the demigods, Vamanadeva, to protect the entire world by Your mercy