Collaborate with us to invoke and fully manifest Srila Prabhupada's Vani-presence.
Category:Questions On... Tradition, Modernity
Pages in category "Questions On... Tradition, Modernity"
The following 56 pages are in this category, out of 56 total.
- Hinduism has always renewed or revitalized itself according to the need of the times. In today's context, are any correctives called for, and if so, who will bring them about and how can they be brought about and made acceptable to all the masses?
- How can the four natural divisions of man be translated into American society?
- How do you feel the modern world (have received Krsna consciousness)? What's your feeling?
- I would like to know more about what do you think our society is doing wrong?
- In society, the consumer society, (indistinct) miseries, what is the message you can bring people even in this day?
- In the modern world, Swamiji, wouldn't you think that the same person has got to combine in himself the qualities traditionally ascribed to all the dharmas?
- In the villages (especially in Bengal, so many big, big palatial buildings, they are lying vacant)?
- In your rural communities, do you utilize the most modern techniques with fertilizers, with mechanical means for cultivating land?
- Is it all right to use modern machines on our farms?
- Is this an ideal solution or a practical one (the oxen will solve the problem of transport. That bullock cart. Just like Krsna, when He was transferred from Gokula to Nandagrama, so they took all the bullock carts)?
- Is this due to machines, do you think, to the prevalence of machines (you cannot find out an ideal character man)?
- It is said that the karma-kanda in the Vedas has almost gone out of use, except for a few rites which remain in vogue for marriage, sraddhas, etc. Is it advisable to revive the karma-kanda with its stress on the performance of various yajnas?
- It's not a problem simply of the modern society but a problem of man, what are, more specifically, the problems, and how can we solve the problems (the modern society is not taking care of the driver; they are taking care of the car) ?
- Seeing the world as it is today, what is the most preferable social organization from the Krsna conscious point of view?
- She would like to know exactly what you mean by modern society and exactly what you feel are the problems with the society...?
- Should we go back to the bullock cart age?
- So how long this thing will continue now, Swamiji, the materialistic progress, the way they are carrying on today?
- Such as what (you have created so many artificial needs)?
- We are talking against material life, and why we are using microphones, tape recorders, airplanes?
- Well, the basic question is how to handle the problem of modern education?
- What about other artifacts of civilization like television and motorcars...(are they artificial needs)?
- What about people who have come since the Vedic literatures, since the time the Vedic literatures were written. What about them?
- What do you understand is man's place in nature? Should he invent, let's say, electricity? Should he invent machines? Do you think these are good or should he just leave those alone?
- What is this scientific (young boy, young girl, they began to discuss on sex openly as scientific)?
- When I was lecturing in Berkeley University, one Indian student asked me, "Swamiji, what this Hare Krsna movement will benefit? We require technology"
- When the Aryan civilization was there in the past, Swamiji, were there also such kind of economic problems?
- When was the railway first built?
- Where is the right balance in this modern world?
- Why (at the present moment people are very, very much addicted to sinful life)?
- Why did people in the past ages sacrifice animals, and how did Krsna put a stop to this?
- Why do you use the technology that you use? You didn't have cars in those days, this television. Things have changed since 1920
- Why is India not satisfied with its own culture?
- Why is it that in the modern day good people, they don't come into public office? Good people. In previous ages there were rajarsis, great kings, very pious kings. Why is it that only rogues are aspiring today?
- Why we use light bulbs?
- Without a machine how can you make sugar from the cane?
- Would God sanction activities in the factory, technological, scientific world?
- Would you use, say, cars if it were given you?
- Yes (if you require car, you have a bullock cart. That's all. Why should you hanker after petrol, mobile, oil, machine, this, that, so many things. Why?), but don't you think that it would be impossible for you to come mostly?
- Yes (we do not approve anything which is not actually beneficial). But what about certain technological advancements like airplanes and automobiles?
- You are not suggesting that all of that (if they stop manufacturing, there is unemployment. And if they increase car, there is power shortage. So this dilemma, this modern civilization will have to meet this dilemma) is just cut away completely...?
- You don't find it possible to achieve any absolute condition in our time?
- You think that men of God are a minority?
- You think we pay too much importance to money?
- You've always preached that we should do things in a modern way, just appropriately… And use for Krsna whatever available... I think if we fix up vehicles very nicely, that will be nice. Will that be all right, Srila Prabhupada? Is that all right?