Collaborate with us to invoke and fully manifest Srila Prabhupada's Vani-presence.
defeat | defeated | defeater | defeating | defeats
This category has the following 10 subcategories, out of 10 total.
- ► Krsna's Defeating (49 P)
- ► My Defeat (Prabhupada) (10 P)
- ► Our Defeat (Disciples of SP) (27 P)
- ► Radharani's Defeating (1 P)
- ► Victory (5 C, 112 P)
Pages in category "Defeat"
The following 173 pages are in this category, out of 173 total.
- A devotee cannot be defeated by any opponents. A devotee, therefore, should not deviate knowingly from the path of devotion. The adherent devotee is assured all protection from the Supreme Personality of Godhead
- A devotee who not only is expert in devotional service but who also preaches the cult of bhakti and defeats all kinds of agnostics is called a gosthy-anandi
- A gopi who is always eager to be jealously angered, who is very enthusiastic for that position, who immediately becomes angry when defeated, who is never under the control of a hero, and who always opposes Him is called a vama, or a left-wing gopi
- A simple philosophy propounded by Sacimata, even though she is a woman, can defeat the Mayavadi philosophers who speculate on oneness
- A Vaisnava, or devotee, must not only be fixed in the service of the Lord, but, if required, must be prepared to argue with the impersonalist Mayavadis with all logic and philosophy and defeat their contention that the Absolute Truth is impersonal
- Actually, we have to conquer birth, death, disease and old age, and because there is no possibility of overcoming all these miserable conditions, due to the illusion of maya, we are simply meeting with parabhava, or defeat
- All one's activities in a life devoid of Krsna consciousness simply lead to defeat and misuse of one's life. Naturally one who comes to Krsna consciousness regrets his previous sinful activities in the human form
- All the members of the Yadu dynasty were very opulent, happy and prosperous, and they had no anxieties. Because of their implicit faith in and devotion to Lord Krsna, they were never defeated by any other kings
- All these activities (the nine processes of devotion) helped him attain the perfect stage of life which defeats all dexterities of material science
- Although in the beginning the princes (Jarasandha party) had been full of hope for success in their heroic action, after their defeat they could only try to encourage Sisupala with flattering words
- Although in this statement there are contradictory mellows of ecstatic devotion, the result is not incompatible because conjugal love is so elevated that it is defeating all other varieties of mellows
- Although Vrtrasura was on the verge of defeat, he was not at all affected. He knew that he was going to be defeated by Indra, and he voluntarily accepted that, but since he was supposed to be Indra's enemy, he tried his best to kill Indra
- Apparently a devotee may grow old, but he is not subjected to the symptoms of defeat experienced by a common man in old age. Consequently, old age does not make a devotee fearful of death, as a common man is fearful of death
- Arjuna was defeated by Bhismadeva, and Lord Krsna saved him from the danger. This was not an insult for Arjuna because Bhismadeva was far superior to Arjuna in all ways, namely age, respect and strength
- Arjuna was defeated by his son Babhruvahana at Manipura and fell unconscious when Ulupi saved him
- As Brhannala, Arjuna fought on behalf of Uttara, the son of King Virata, and thus defeated the Kurus in the fight incognito
- As He (Lord Varahadeva) shook His body, this very hair fell and turned into blades of evergreen kusa grass and kasa (another kind of grass used for mats), by means of which the sages worshiped Lord Visnu after defeating the demons
- As soon as the mind, being defeated by lusty desires, drifts toward feelings of sense gratification, the yogi should immediately bring it back and arrest it within the core of his heart
- As the spider very easily creates the network of its cobweb and manifests its power of creation without being defeated by others, so also you (Brahma) yourself, by employment of your self-sufficient energy, create without any other's help
- Balarama said, "Under the circumstances, there is very little chance that one of you will be defeated by the other. Therefore I request you not to waste your time fighting in this way. I wish you to stop this unnecessary fight"
- Because the Lord is all-powerful, it is possible for Him to adjust opposites such as birth and no birth, power and defeat, fear and fearlessness. A pure devotee knows very well how it is possible for the Lord to adjust opposite things
- Being insulted, Jayadratha went to Gangotri in the Himalayas and undertook a severe type of penance to please Lord Siva. He asked his benediction to defeat all the Pandavas, at least one at a time
- Bhismadeva was the foremost of all warriors. When he defeated Lord Parasurama in a fight, Lord Parasurama was very satisfied with him
- Bhismadeva was the foremost of all warriors. When he defeated Lord Parasurama in a fight, Lord Parasurama was very satisfied with him. By the semen of Santanu in the womb of Satyavati, the daughter of a fisherman, Citrangada took birth
- Born rascal, fool. He has to be enlightened, he has to be given knowledge, and he has to receive knowledge to make his life perfect. Therefore parabhavah means one who does not make his life perfect, he's being defeated
- Caitanya said, "Love of Krsna is so powerful that it simultaneously defeats the poisonous effects of a snake, as well as the happiness derived from pouring nectar on one's head. It is perceived as doubly effective, simultaneously poisonous & nectarean"
- Caitanya said, "The poisonous effects of love of Godhead defeat the severe and fresh poison of the serpent. Yet there is simultaneously transcendental bliss, which pours down and defeats the pride of nectar and diminishes its value"
- Conjugal love is so elevated that it is defeating all other varieties of mellows. Srila Jiva Gosvami comments in this connection that such a loving state of mind is not possible for all. It is possible only in the case of the gopis of Vrndavana
- For two purposes - to spread the cult of bhakti and to defeat and subdue the atheists - Lord Nityananda, the most dedicated devotee of the Lord, moved throughout the country
- Formerly, fighting was done by releasing different kinds of arrows. One party would release a certain arrow, and the other party had to defeat it by counteracting it with another arrow
- Have you (Arjuna) contacted a woman of impeachable character, or have you not properly treated a deserving woman? Or have you been defeated on the way by someone who is inferior or equal to you?
- He (Hiranyakasipu) defeated the rulers of all the other planets where there are living entities and brought them under his control. Conquering the abodes of all, he seized their power and influence
- He (Narada) explained how Aniruddha had been carried to the city of Sonitapura, the capital of Banasura's empire, and how Banasura had arrested him with the naga-pasa, even though Aniruddha had defeated his soldiers
- Her (Devahuti's) countenance shone, with beautiful teeth and charming eyebrows. Her eyes, distinguished by lovely moist corners, defeated the beauty of lotus buds. Her face was surrounded by dark curling tresses
- Hiranyakasipu defeated the rulers of all the other planets where there are living entities and brought them under his control. Conquering the abodes of all, he seized their power and influence
- His (Arjuna's) wonderful acts on the Battlefield of Kuruksetra are vividly described in the Mahabharata. Arjuna was defeated, however, by his son Babhruvahana at Manipura and fell unconscious when Ulupi saved him
- I (Lord Siva) can impartially judge that this devotee, Citraketu, has defeated you (Parvati) and your excellence simply by becoming a pure devotee of the Lord
- If he is unable to defeat the opposing party, then the next step is that he should not just stand there meekly, but should give up his life
- If leaders & rich men spend fifty percent of their accumulated wealth mercifully for the misled people & educate them in KC, the knowledge of Bhagavatam, certainly the age of Kali will be defeated in its attempt to entrap the conditioned souls
- If one remembers in the morning the narration of this fight between Lord Krsna and Lord Siva and takes pleasure in the victory of Lord Krsna, he will never experience defeat anywhere in his struggle of life
- If you simply say, 'I do not remember,' I shall take care of the rest. By argument, I shall defeat the young brahmana
- If you want to become pure by your arguments and logic, that is not possible. I may be defeated by another strong man who is stronger in argument than me, so this is not the way of becoming purified
- Ignorance of self-realization is the greatest defeat in human life
- In the beginning of KC, one may not fully discharge the injunctions of the Lord, but because one is not resentful of this principle and works sincerely without consideration of defeat and hopelessness, he will surely be promoted to the stage of pure KC
- In the fight between the soldiers of the Yadu dynasty & kings of the opposite side, Salva was defeated. But despite his defeat, he made a promise before all the kings that he would in the future rid the whole world of all the members of the Yadu dynasty
- In this way (the beauty of Lord Krsna increases at the sight of the beauty of the gopis. And the more the gopis see Lord Krsna's beauty, the more their beauty increases) a competition takes place between them in which no one acknowledges defeat.
- It is abominable for a ksatriya to be defeated by one who is inferior in strength or equal in strength. If one is defeated at all, he should be defeated by some superior power
- It is the duty of the disciple that even the spiritual master, or senior acarya , they agree to be defeated, it is the duty of the disciple to see that his spiritual master and superior is not defeated
- Jambavan continued, "Now I can understand that You are none other than my Lord Ramacandra. No one else has such immeasurable strength; no one else could defeat me in this way"
- Jarasandha was very powerful, and having been defeated seventeen times, he might vengefully kill the members of the Yadu family or arrest them and take them to his kingdom
- Jatayu attacked him on the sky: "Who are you? You are taking away Sita. I shall fight you." So Ravana was very powerful. He was defeated, Jatayu, but he fought. That is his service. Never mind defeated. Similarly, we have to fight
- Jiva Gosvami argued with him regarding the scriptures and defeated him
- Kamsa said, "Even though I have defeated the King of heaven without difficulty, still I do not know the value of life"
- Kartaviryarjuna became undefeatable by enemies and received unobstructed sensory power, beauty, influence, strength, fame and the mystic power by which to achieve all the perfections of yoga, such as anima and laghima
- King Nanda said, "He (Garga Muni) also said that any fortunate man who becomes attached to this boy, Krsna, is never vanquished or defeated by his enemy"
- King Nanda said, "On the whole, He (Krsna) is exactly like Lord Visnu, who always takes the side of the demigods, who are consequently never defeated by the demons"
- Krishna's another name is Madan-Mohan. When Krishna is within the heart, then the Madan or lusty desires become defeated. If we learn to love Krishna, our lusty desires will be finished, otherwise not
- Krsna said to Radharani, "Your sweet words defeat the vibrations of the cuckoo, and Your limbs are cooler than the pulp of sandalwood"
- Krsna's youth is described as follows: "The force of Krsna's youth was combined with His beautiful smile, which defeated even the beauty of the full moon"
- Krsna, in the same way, is the cause of all causes and all incarnations. Please hear another verse to defeat all misinterpretations
- Let me offer my respectful obeisances unto my spiritual master, the son of Vyasadeva, Sukadeva Gosvami. It is he who defeats all inauspicious things within this universe
- Lord Krsna said, "He (who even wishes to possess property of Brahmana) will be defeated by his enemies, and after being bereft of his royal position, when he gives up his body he will become a serpent, giving trouble to all other living entities"
- Lord Siva, who is considered to be most tolerant, was also struck by Cupid's arrow because he also became mad after the Mohini incarnation of the Lord and acknowledged himself to be defeated
- Lord Visnu in the dress of a brahmana appeared as a beggar before Bali and snatched away all of his opulence and his kingdom. He did this for the benefit of Indra, who, having been defeated by Bali Maharaja, was bereft of his kingdom
- Maharaja Drupada, although defeated by Arjuna on behalf of his professor Dronacarya, decided to hand over his daughter Draupadi to his young combatant
- Many princes visited this kingdom and tried to subdue the bulls, but instead of controlling them, they themselves were defeated
- Marx. Darwin, all professors and politicians, we can challenge and defeat them. Our philosophy is so perfect
- Material advancement may be very pleasing to an ordinary man, but ultimately he is defeated because he identifies himself with the material body and considers everything related to it to be his property. This is ignorance. Actually nothing belongs to him
- Mayavati had the knowledge of the mystic power of maha-maya, and she delivered to Pradyumna this specific energetic power in order to defeat the mystic powers of the Sambara demon
- Mental speculators neglect the process of devotional service, and by simply trying to defeat others in philosophical research they fail to develop the ecstasy of devotion
- My dear Damodara, although You have been defeated by Sridama and have become sufficiently minimized in strength, by a false expression of strength You have somehow covered Your shameful condition of defeat
- My Guru Maharaja's contribution is that he defeated these caste gosvamins. He defeated this brahmanism
- Neglecting the order of the spiritual master, and the entire mission was defeated
- Neither Jarasandha nor Bhima was able to defeat the other, however, for both were expert in fighting, they were of equal strength, and their fighting techniques were also equal
- Neither Jarasandha nor Bhimasena became fatigued or defeated in the fighting, although they struck each other continuously
- No one in the princely order could defeat the seven bulls, and therefore no one could claim the hand of Satya. The seven bulls were very strong, and they could hardly bear even the smell of any prince
- Nobody in this world likes to be defeated by somebody else, but the father when he is defeated by the son feels more pleasure
- Once, while fighting with a demon who was appearing as a deer, Krsna challenged him in this way: "I have come before you as a great elephant named Krsna. You must leave the battlefield, accepting defeat, or else there is death awaiting you"
- One asura defeats another asura, but the public continues to suffer. Therefore the entire world is in a precarious condition, and the only hope is this Hare Krsna movement
- One of the friends once remarked, "Sudama is trying his best to see Damodara defeated, and I think that if our powerful Subala joins him, they will be a very beautiful combination, like a valuable jewel bedecked with gold"
- Sankaracarya defeated many scholars throughout India and converted them to his Mayavada philosophy. He left his material body at the age of thirty-three
- Satya said, "Many heroic prospects tried to defeat the bulls, but unfortunately they were all severely struck, and they returned to their homes as defeated invalids"
- Seeing me so afraid, the lion said, 'I have defeated you just to teach you a lesson, but I must be merciful to you
- Since everything is dependent on the supreme will of the Personality of Godhead, one should be equipoised in fame and defamation, victory and defeat, life and death
- So the word pavarga signifies our struggle for existence and our meeting with defeat, exhaustion, bondage, fearfulness and, at last, death
- Sometimes Satya was called Nagnajiti, for she was the daughter of King Nagnajit. King Nagnajit wanted to give the hand of his daughter to any prince who could defeat seven very strong, stalwart bulls maintained by him
- Sometimes the Lord wants to be defeated by His devotee. Nobody can defeat the Lord, but still He desires like that sometimes. That is His mercy
- Sometimes two would pair off to fight in the water. One would emerge victorious and the other defeated, and the Lord would watch all this fun
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu's movement especially aims at defeating the Mayavada conclusion about the Absolute Truth
- Sri Ramanujacarya presented his philosophy as visistadvaita-vada, and Sri Madhvacarya presented his philosophy of tattva-vada, both of which are stumbling blocks to the Mayavadis because they defeat their philosophy in scrupulous detail
- Srila Rsabhadeva instructed his sons that unless a human being comes to the point of understanding the atma, or spiritual position, whatever he does is ignorance, and this brings only defeat in his life
- Sripada Sankaracarya preached the Mayavada philosophy for a particular purpose. Such a philosophy was necessary to defeat the Buddhist philosophy of the nonexistence of the spirit soul, but it was never meant for perpetual acceptance
- Supporting one's argument with evidence that also supports the opposing side is called jalpa. Merely trying to defeat one's opponent is called vitanda
- The beauty of Srimati Radharani is described as follows: "Her eyes defeat the attractive features of the eyes of the cakori bird. When one sees the face of Radharani, he immediately hates the beauty of the moon"
- The Bhattacarya tried to defend himself and his Mayavada school by jugglery of logic and grammar, but the Lord defeated him by His forceful arguments. He affirmed that we are all related with the Personality of Godhead eternally
- The celebrity of earth has defeated that of the heavenly planets because of Dvaraka, where Lord Sri Krsna reigned as King. Three places, namely Vrndavana, Mathura and Dvaraka, are more important than the famous planets
- The conception of enjoyment is beautiful women, ornaments and riches. And all of these were fabulously present in the palaces of Krsna, defeating even the imagination of Kuvera, Lord Indra or Lord Siva
- The conclusion is that the Mayavadi philosophers are actually atheists. There was much discussion on this issue between Sarvabhauma and Caitanya Mahaprabhu, but despite all his endeavors, the Bhattacarya was defeated in the end
- The defeated members in duel fighting had to carry the victorious members on their backs, as a horse carries its master. They (the cowherd boys) began playing, and at the same time tended the cows as they proceeded through the Bhandiravana forest
- The demon Maya Danava constructed Tripura for the demons, who became very powerful and defeated the demigods. Because of this defeat, Lord Rudra, Siva, dismantled Tripura; thus he became famous as Tripurari
- The demons naturally appeared more powerful than the demigods, but ultimately, because of help received from the Supreme Personality of Godhead, the demons were defeated and the demigods triumphant
- The devotees of the Lord, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, do not directly practice the process of mystic powers, but, by the grace of the Lord, His devotee can defeat even a great yogesvara
- The first letter, pa, comes from the word parabhava, which means "defeat." In this material struggle for existence, we are simply meeting defeat
- The first sporting took place between Advaita Acarya and Nityananda Prabhu, who threw water upon each other. Advaita Acarya was defeated, and He later began to rebuke Nityananda Prabhu, calling Him ill names
- The friend continued: "Don't advertise Yourself (Krsna) to be a great fighter by such action. You have advertised Yourself as a serpent, and I am the peacock who will now defeat You." The peacock is the ablest enemy of the serpent
- The goddess of fortune is supposed to be the most beautiful sight within the spiritual and material creations of the Lord; she has a sense of being the most beautiful, yet her beauty was defeated when the Lord appeared
- The idea is that the ax-handle is made of wood, and so without the assistance of the wooden tree, the hatchet is useless. Similarly, we can use our materialistic knowledge to defeat the atheistic philosophy of the scientists
- The impersonalist who feels transcendental pleasure in striving to become one with the Lord is defeated when he sees the beautiful transcendental features of the Lord
- The invincible King Jarasandha is as strong as ten thousand elephants. Indeed, other powerful warriors cannot defeat him. Only Bhima is equal to him in strength
- The King of Kalinga was a friend of Rukmi and gave him the ill advice to play chess with Balarama and thus defeat Him in a bet. Among ksatriya kings, gambling on chess was not uncommon
- The Lord left in His own body; He did not leave His body as is generally misunderstood by the conditioned souls. This statement defeats the false propaganda of the faithless nondevotees that the Lord passed away like an ordinary conditioned soul
- The luster of the hosts of jewels fixed on the chest of the Lord can defeat even the luster of the sun, and still, when compared with the bodily luster of the Lord, that crest of jewels appears to be only as bright as one of the stars in the sky
- The materialistic men struggle to live long under great difficulty to try to make a permanent settlement in the material environment, and everything is defeated at the moment of their death
- The materialists do not know that in the next life they will be degraded and that all their activities simply serve as parabhava, their defeat
- The messenger said, "Dear Lord (Krsna), we know very well that Jarasandha cannot defeat You at any time, for Your power, strength, resources and authority are all unlimited. No one can equal You or surpass You"
- The most beautiful object in the material world may be compared to the blue lotus flower or the full moon in the sky, but even the lotus flower and the moon were defeated by the beauty of the bodily features of Lord Krsna
- The perfect example is Maharaja Ambarisa. He was not a mystic yogi but a great devotee, yet in a disagreement with Maharaja Ambarisa, the great mystic Durvasa was defeated in the presence of the King’s devotional attitude
- The princely friends of Jarasandha instructed him that ordinarily it would not have been possible for him to be defeated by the strength of the Yadu kings; the defeat he had experienced was simply due to his ill luck
- The princely order encouraged King Jarasandha. His fighting, they said, was certainly heroic; therefore, he should not take his defeat very seriously, since it was due only to his past misdeeds. After all, there was no fault in his fighting
- The rascal Darwin's theory. So many, based on this foolish theory, wrong conception of life. So we have to challenge, protest. defeat. This will be our work
- The Vedic knowledge, will give you: "Here is your ideal place, Krsna. Come back to Krsna. Try for it. Try your best for this." That is the life. That is human life. And unless one is not conscious to this platform, he is defeated
- The whole catastrophe of the defeat was due to the envious nature of Rukmini's elder brother Rukmi
- The whole world is running on a false theory that life is born out of matter. But that is not a fact. So how to defeat this theory? That is our business. We have to defeat this rascal theory
- There are three ways of dealing with such insults. If someone is heard blaspheming by words, one should be so expert that he can defeat the opposing party by argument
- There is constant competition between My sweetness and the mirror of Radha's love. They both go on increasing, but neither knows defeat
- There is no doubt about it. Krsna’s form, Krsna’s flute, Krsna’s color - everything is reality. Here it is said that this vijnanam is always defeating all kinds of speculative knowledge
- There was a soup made with fried urad dhal and mung dhal, defeating nectar. There were also sweet chutney and five or six kinds of sour preparations, beginning with badamla
- There was constant dancing (in the city of Indra) and the Gandharvas sang. The combined beauty of Indrapuri defeated beauty personified
- There was picking up, dragging and pushing, and then the legs and hands were locked together. All the arts of wrestling were perfectly exhibited by the parties as each tried his best to defeat his opponent
- These rascals, they are born fools and rascals, and they are working in rascaldom. Therefore, whatever they are doing, it is defeat. Therefore this crisis has come
- They (Krsna and Balarama) learned how to make carriages and airplanes from flowers. It is said in the Ramayana that after defeating Ravana, Ramacandra was carried from Lanka to Bharata-varsa on a plane of flowers, called a puspa-ratha
- They (Krsna's associates) have sufficient power to defeat the strength of the demigods, and the specific feature of their persons is that they are always decorated with valuable ornaments
- This is an instance of bashfulness resulting from being defeated
- This simple philosophy propounded by Sacimata, even though she is a woman, can defeat the Mayavadi philosophers who speculate on oneness
- Those who are fools, who are like animals, sometimes think that Krsna is defeated, but factually He is the Supreme Personality of Godhead, and no one can defeat Him
- Those who are thus bewildered are attracted by demoniac and atheistic views. In that deluded condition, their hopes for liberation, their fruitive activities and their culture of knowledge are all defeated
- Those who are thus bewildered are attracted by demonic and atheistic views. In that deluded condition, their hopes for liberation, their fruitive activities, and their culture of knowledge are all defeated
- Two gopis imitated Krsna and Balarama, and many others imitated Their cowherd boyfriends. One gopi assumed the form of Bakasura, and another forced her to fall down as the demon Bakasura did when he was killed; similarly, another gopi defeated Vatsasura
- Vedic knowledge means you cannot argue. You can argue, but that argument is not to defeat. That argument is for understanding
- Visvamitra was defeated by the spiritual strength of Vasistha, and thus the King decided to become a brahmana. Before becoming a brahmana he underwent severe austerity on the bank of the Kausika
- We are acting in different ways to become happy, but we do not know that every step we are being defeated
- We are born ignorant. And if we are educated more, more, more into the platform of ignorance, then our life is all defeat
- We are happy. We are becoming educated, we are advanced in science. But Bhagavata says, "No, you are not advancing, you are simply being defeated, because you do not know how to get happiness. You are not trying for real happiness"
- When he heard this judgment from Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu, the pandita sorrowfully wondered why mother Sarasvati wanted to defeat him through a small boy
- When Krsna saw Balarama finally defeated by Sridama, who was using only a small stick, Krsna became filled with pleasure and began to look upon Sridama with great wonder
- When Maharaja Bharata was on tour, he defeated or killed all the Kiratas, Hunas, Yavanas, Paundras, Kankas, Khasas, Sakas and the kings who were opposed to the Vedic principles of brahminical culture
- When Maharaja Yudhisthira was disappointed in defeating the King of Magadha, Jarasandha, it was Arjuna only who gave King Yudhisthira all kinds of assurances, and thus Arjuna, Bhima and Lord Krsna started for Magadha to kill Jarasandha
- When Ravana kidnapped Sita, he was obstructed on the way by Jatayu, a large bird. But the powerful Ravana defeated Jatayu in the fight and cut his wing
- When Sambarasura was defeated in every respect, Pradyumna took his sharp sword and immediately cut off the demon's head, which was decorated with a helmet and valuable jewels
- When the mode of passion is prominent, the modes of goodness and ignorance are defeated. When the mode of goodness is prominent, passion and ignorance are defeated. And when the mode of ignorance is prominent, passion and goodness are defeated
- You have to work for Krsna sincerely, intelligently, and victory or defeat, it doesn't matter. Just like Jatayu was defeated fighting with Ravana. His wings were cut off. Ravana was very strong. And Lord Ramacandra, He did his last funeral ceremonies
- You may be very good logician, you can argue very nice, but another logician may come and defeat you. That is going on
- Your sense perception will be defeated if you want to realize God by your imperfect sense perception