Collaborate with us to invoke and fully manifest Srila Prabhupada's Vani-presence.
"Astanga-yoga" | Aṣṭāṅga-yoga
- "the mystic yoga system to control the senses"
- "eightfold yoga system"
- "The Pataïjali yoga system is called astanga-yoga"
This category has the following 4 subcategories, out of 4 total.
Pages in category "Astanga-yoga"
The following 15 pages are in this category, out of 15 total.
- Narada Muni instructed: After bathing (in the Yamuna), you (Dhruva) should perform the necessary regulative principles for astanga-yoga and then sit down on your asana (sitting place) in a calm and quiet position
- Neither through astanga-yoga, nor impersonal monism or an analytical study of the Absolute Truth, nor study of the Vedas, nor austerities, charity or acceptance of sannyasa can one satisfy Me as much as by developing unalloyed devotional service unto Me
- The astanga-yoga system is a materialistic art of controlling air by transferring it from the stomach to the navel, from the navel to the heart, from the heart to the collarbone, from there to the eyeballs, from there to the cerebellum
- The astanga-yoga system is also materialistic, inasmuch as it teaches one to control the movements of air within the material body. The spiritual spark, the soul, is floating on air within the body
- The Supreme Personality of Godhead, Krsna, said, "My dear Uddhava, neither through astanga-yoga the mystic yoga system for controlling the senses"
- The yoga system is for that purpose. Those who are too much bodily concept of life, bodily consciousness, they should practice this yoga—hatha-yoga, astanga-yoga—so that the mind can be purified
- There are three kinds of yoga, namely bhakti-yoga, jnana-yoga and astanga-yoga. Devotees, jnanis and yogis all try to get out of the material entanglement
- Those who are too addicted to sense gratification are advised to practice the mystic yoga system, or astanga-yoga system, consisting of yama, niyama, asana, pranayama, pratyhara and so on. In this way, one can control the senses
- To endeavor to be situated in the shade of the lotus feet of the Lord is not an ordinary task because even the great brahmacaris headed by Sanandana, who practiced astanga-yoga in trance, attained the shelter of the Lord's lotus feet