Collaborate with us to invoke and fully manifest Srila Prabhupada's Vani-presence.
Category:Questions On... Eastern, Western
Pages in category "Questions On... Eastern, Western"
The following 87 pages are in this category, out of 87 total.
- A person might argue that the Indians weren't satisfied either; otherwise they wouldn't have taken up the English culture. So what's the difference?
- Are changes visible in Hinduism in its doctrinal content, mode of individual and collective worship as a result of Hinduism's contact with the West?
- Are there many Indian-born disciples abroad, or are they mainly Western disciples?
- Are they (our books) sold mainly in the Western countries?
- As many as in the West, or more (many people in India are becoming spiritually successful)?
- But do you think it's unusual, the fact that it's an Eastern, mysterious Eastern religion has an appeal to American young people?
- But I mean, how about in your view (could you tell me why you think the Western world has espoused your sort of movement now, has been keen on looking to the East for spiritual...)?
- But you don't find that the fact that your monks are wearing robes or shaving their heads is a difficulty in the West, where not many people...?
- Catur-varnyam maya srstam: is it applicable to India alone, or the whole world?
- Coming back to this question of the western type of civilization, do you feel that the success of the movement in the western society is an indication of the need being felt by the western man that has been lacking in spiritual ideologies?
- Consciousness movement in the West-like you said, the Western people are fed up with materialism. Is it that they are fed up only with materialism or with...?
- Do you envisage or envision a different role for Hinduism in the Western countries where the influence of other great religions has been felt for centuries?
- Do you have any panditas in the Western movement?
- Do you have more temples there (in India) than here (in the West)?
- Do you think that one of the attractions of Krsna consciousness is the rather exotic, Hindu, unusual customs in the West. These customs are unusual in the West and they have a sort of exotic appeal for young people?
- Do you think that this is because of the Western influence under which they have gone and you are... (nobody spoke that "Krsna is the Supreme Personality of Godhead. You worship Him." Nobody has said. This is the first time, I am saying)?
- Do you think the India-originated religion is, serves its particular purpose in the Western society? I mean, does, is it of particular value in a rather technological society, the Hindu tradition?
- Do you think the same problem is here in India as in other countries (and now in India another danger is that so many rascals, they are declaring, "I am God." And this India, people have become so fallen down, they accept all these rascals as God)?
- Do you think there's a difference between the various peoples of the world? In other words, do you think that Indians as opposed to Europeans have more of a tendency or are more likely to adhere to the Krsna consciousness?
- Do you think they (west) are taking to it because it is novel?
- Have you had any difficulty in bringing this, which seems to have originated in India, into the West?
- He says that legions of sadhus, such white men, persons from West, become sadhus, then who will do this job of earning a living?
- He would like to know what you think that Australia should help Asia with as far as making people more comfortable to live in this world and what Australia can imbibe from Asia?
- How is it that there is so much material "advancement'' in the USA even though there is no formal demigod worship? Is a man after economic development automatically worshiping Lord Siva whether he is making Yajna or not?
- How is the response in the West?
- I was going to ask you about that, (Western) civilization?
- I would like to know more about what do you think our society is doing wrong?
- If the Vedic culture was a superior culture, how come man gave up the Vedic culture to take to the materialistic life?
- In the East. So there's been a crossover taking place... Do you see it like that?
- In the last fifty years or so that especially that the Indian culture has been squashed and perverted by the British... Is that because of mass communication, Prabhupada?
- In the part of the world where this particular philosophy and this particular belief originated, which is in India, in the Eastern part of the world, at least as we look at it. Is it successful there? Do you have a large following over there?
- Is it because the Indians think that they know much about Bhagavad-gita (now all Indians, they should take Bhagavad-gita as it is and make their life fruitful. The Europeans and Americans, they are taking. Why Indians are not taking?)?
- Is Krsna consciousness more easily accepted among Indians and among Far Eastern peoples than among the Western peoples?
- It seems now that it's the people from the West who want to hear. Why is that?
- It's fortunate to take birth in America or England?
- Maharaja, do the Western and Eastern societies respond differently to this call (in the Kali-yuga you cannot reform the whole population by any other means except this harer nama. Therefore we are introducing Hare Krsna movement everywhere)?
- Maharaja, do you think the West is being Hinduized?
- Many of your followers dress in what for the West is an odd fashion and relate to the world in what for the West is an odd fashion. Can you respond to that? Why have you asked your followers to dress in this fashion and to play drums on the streets?
- Now I understand exactly what the purpose of your movement is. I just wonder if you think the Western world is ready for this message?
- Now would he have what is normally in the Western world called a theological degree?
- Now, in India more people are living in the western way, though, living in cities, working in factories and offices. Does this make them have the western state of mind, the western point of view? Or can they resist it?
- She says, "Therefore does it mean that the solution has to come from India?"
- She's (Mrs.Marchand) asking that since in these Western countries the families are so broken up and the women sometimes cannot find a qualified husband, what should she do?
- Sir, do you not consider it advisable to get the judgment that the Americans have translated into Indian so we can look?
- Srila Prabhupada, how can we understand why the Krsna consciousness movement seems to attract so many young boys and young girls in the Western world?
- Srila Prabhupada, one press man wanted to know what is this Rathayatra festival? Why is it going on over here in the western world?
- Srila Prabhupada, why has it taken so long for a pure devotee to come to the West? Has the West been so sinful that no pure devotee has come before Your Divine Grace?
- Srila Prabhupada, would you please explain why Krsna consciousness hadn't come to the West until now, why it hasn't come earlier?
- Still, due to the British presence, isn't that the main reason why India has become so degraded now?... Because they introduced so many bad things?
- The values of Western civilization have made that (articifial division). Therefore that's made living as children of God impossible?
- The Westerns are more unsure than the Easterns, or...?
- There are many swamis coming from India nowadays, and they are trying to confuse Westerners; being Indian, how we can help about this confusion?
- There is one difference between Eastern wisdom and Christian way to think that whereas in the Eastern way, we have to become rid of our body, to be liberate from our body, whereas Christian sense means to realize the spirit within the body?
- There is one question which many people have asked. You don't have to answer them but sometimes they say, "Why is it that Hare Krsna movement is so popular in this country, has so many centers, and not that many centers in India where Lord Krsna...?"
- These Oriental philosophies generally and in particular the Krsna consciousness has found a lot of devotees in the western civilization. What is the main reason for this?
- This four-division society that you advocate is contrary to everything in American tradition. How can that be accepted in America?
- This is the first pamphlet that you ever printed?... I mean in the West?
- Well do you think that the Eastern sun, meaning Hare Krsna, is appropriate in a culture that has a different religion traditionally?
- Western are all are like asses?
- Western people want to think they're the body. Otherwise how can they enjoy all their technology?
- What do you find, you know, that when you impart this knowledge to Western disciples and when you talk to someone who are in India, what difference do you find?
- What do you think our society is doing wrong?
- What I was trying to ask you a while ago, do you think that these particular Vedic disciplines and spiritual principles, concentration on the spirit instead of the body, has a particular usefulness in Western society nowadays?
- What if it's done in a culture where this is entirely different (the Indian culture, brahmacari, sannyasi and brahmana, they are allowed to beg alms)?
- What is it in your movement which has appealed to the Western world? I believe you have a sizable following in...
- What is the Eastern or Indian understanding of utopia?
- What is the reason of the success of your mission in the foreign countries?
- What is your view of predominant Western civilization, Sir?
- When we say that Krsna says in the Bhagavad-gita that asked him to fight, kill his own relatives and friends and not to bother about the consequences of the action. Now this statement sometimes is difficult for people of the West to understand?
- Where do you train them in the western countries?
- Why did you choose to go to America and propagate the teachings of Lord Krsna in a western country?
- Why do you dress in that way which is an Indian way and not the European way?
- Why do you feel that the younger people today are turning more and more toward the eastern-oriented religions?
- Why do you send your disciples in these Christian countries to preach the love of God when the gospel of Jesus Christ is also preaching the love of God, God love?
- Why is it that the younger people or people in general, are disenchanted, are trying to go towards the eastern-oriented religion if their aim or premise is the same as the western?
- Why is it that this mahamantra is so attractive to Western countries?
- Why is it, Prabhupada, that in earlier parts of the Kali-yuga no one like yourself came throughout the rest of the world and preached Krsna consciousness?
- Why is that, do you think (could you tell me why you think the Western world has espoused your sort of movement now, has been keen on looking to the East for spiritual...)?
- Why there is a better response to Krsna consciousness in foreign countries than in India?
- Would you describe where Krsna consciousness started and why you have come to the Western world?
- Your Divine Grace, would your message be exactly the same for, say, a starving man in India and a Westerner who's got everything that a person needs?
- Your people have a serenity that many western people don't have. What, what is the secret of serenity? And is it... I gather you reject many material demands, materialism as such