Collaborate with us to invoke and fully manifest Srila Prabhupada's Vani-presence.
This category has the following 6 subcategories, out of 6 total.
Pages in category "Govardhana"
The following 99 pages are in this category, out of 99 total.
- A few days before a year had passed, Krsna & Balarama were maintaining the calves in the forest when They saw some cows grazing on the top of Govardhana Hill. The cows could see down into the valley where the calves were being taken care of by the boys
- After circumambulating the hill, Madhavendra Puri went to Govinda-kunda and took his bath. He then sat beneath a tree to take his evening rest
- After embracing their children, the men took the cows back to the top of Govardhana Hill. Along the way they began to think of their children, and affectionate tears fell from their eyes
- After installing the Deity of Gopala, Srila Madhavendra Puri rendered Him service. That very Deity is still being worshiped at Govardhana Hill
- After reaching Mathura, they started visiting the different forests of Vrndavana and came to Govardhana Hill. They visited all twelve forests (vanas) and at last came to the town of Vrndavana
- After the disappearance of Lord Caitanya and Svarupa Damodara, Raghunatha dasa Gosvami keenly felt separation from these two exalted personalities and therefore decided to give up his life by jumping from Govardhana Hill in Vrndavana
- All the cows came immediately (down Govardhana Hill) and began to lick their bodies, and the calves also began to suck milk from the milk bags. There appeared to be a great bond of affection between the cows and calves
- But Krsna replied, "Better take the arrangement and paraphernalia you have already made for the Indra-yajna and immediately engage them to satisfy Govardhana Hill and the local brahmanas"
- But Krsna replied, "My dear father, don’t delay. The sacrifice you propose for Govardhana and the local brahmanas will take much time"
- By offering me the govardhana-sila, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu has offered me a place near Govardhana Hill, and by offering me the garland of conchshells, He has offered me shelter at the lotus feet of Srimati Radharani
- Caitanya Mahaprabhu was absorbed in thoughts of Krsna and His pastimes. His state of mind brought Him the atmosphere of Vrndavana and Govardhana Hill
- Coming down from Govardhana Hill, Lord Gopala granted an interview to Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, who was unwilling to climb the hill, thinking Himself a devotee of Lord Krsna
- Following the inauguration of Govardhana-puja, people in Vrndavana still dress nicely and assemble near Govardhana Hill to offer worship and circumambulate the hill, leading their cows all around
- From Radha-kunda, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu went to Sumanas Lake. When He saw Govardhana Hill from there, He was overwhelmed with joy
- He presented Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu with these two items - the garland of conchshells and the stone from Govardhana Hill
- Hiranya and Govardhana were the two governmental treasurers in that division of the country. Their priest was named Balarama Acarya
- His (Lord Krsna) pastimes astound the goddess of fortune, and His bodily strength turns Govardhana Hill into a small toy like a ball. His spotless qualities are unlimited, and His behavior satisfies everyone
- I am always anxious to go and see the Govardhana hills in New Vrindaban and I hope Krishna will fulfill my desire as soon as possible
- I am trying to make a plan out of the description of the plot of our leased land. And the hilly portions may be name as Govardhana. Govardhana-side, the pasturing grounds for the cows may be allotted
- I offer my respectful obeisances unto Madhavendra Puri, who was given a pot of sweet rice stolen by Gopinatha, celebrated thereafter as Ksira-cora. Being pleased by Madhavendra Puri's love, Gopala, the Deity at Govardhana, appeared to the public vision
- In offering obeisances to the huge form of Krsna and Govardhana Hill, Krsna declared, "Just see how Govardhana Hill has assumed this huge form and is favoring us by accepting all the offerings!"
- In the midst of their excitement one of them ascertained that it was actually only a cloud on Govardhan Hill
- In the morning, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu took His bath in a lake called Manasa-ganga. He then circumambulated Govardhana Hill
- In the revealed scripture Hari-vamsa, there is a description of Goloka Vrndavana, the planet where Krsna eternally resides. This information was given by Indra when he surrendered to Krsna and offered prayers after Krsna had raised Govardhana Hill
- Indra said, "I thought that in the name of a Govardhana sacrifice You (Krsna) were taking my share of profit, and therefore I mistook Your position"
- It (New Vrndavana) has a farmhouse and several other structures, well, streams, hills (govardhana, as named by Swamiji) pasture grounds (a cow will be acquired soon), ghat, pond, woodland, all situated on 138 acres
- It is amazing that You have forgotten the land of Vrndavana. And how is it that You have forgotten Your father, mother and friends? How have You forgotten Govardhana Hill, the bank of the Yamuna and the forest where You enjoyed the rasa-lila dance
- It is at Govardhana Hill that Krsna tends the cows with His cowherd friends, and there also He had His rendezvous with His most beloved Sri Radha and engaged in loving pastimes with Her
- Just as Lord Visnu is always worshiped and surrounded by different demigods like Lord Siva, Lord Brahma, Indra, Candra and others, when Krsna traveled through the Vrndavana forest or walked on Govardhana Hill, He was accompanied by the cowherd boys
- Just by seeing Govardhana Hill, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu became ecstatic with love of Krsna. While dancing and dancing, He recited the following verse
- Krsna also declared at that meeting, "In order to assure the good fortune of the cows and themselves, all people of Vrndavana near Govardhana must worship the hill, as prescribed by Me"
- Krsna said, "There are many snakes on Govardhana Hill, and persons neglecting the prescribed duty of Govardhana-puja will be bitten by these snakes and killed"
- Later that morning, Krsna went to play with His cowherd boyfriends on the top of the Govardhana Hill. They were imitating the play of thieves and police. Some of the boys became police constables, and some became thieves, and some took the role of lambs
- Lord Krsna was very much pleased when passing through the Vrndavana forest by the site of Govardhana Hill. On the bank of the Yamuna He saw all the trees decorated with beehives pouring honey
- Mad with ecstatic love, the Lord came to the village known as Govardhana. There He saw the Deity named Harideva and offered His obeisances unto Him
- My dear Bhadravardhana, there is no need to make these threatening motions. If you will all look more closely you will see that it is only a thundercloud upon Govardhana Hill; it is not the Aristasura in the shape of a bull
- Near Jagannatha Puri is a great sand dune known as Cataka-parvata. Seeing that hill, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu said, 'Oh, I shall go to the land of Vraja to see Govardhana Hill'
- Near Vrndavana is Govardhana Hill, which is very beautiful, and there are newly grown grass and fodder for the animals, so there will be no difficulty in living there
- O my Lord, You live in the forest of Govardhana Hill, and, like the king of elephants, You are expert in the art of conjugal love
- Once, Sri Madhavendra Puri traveled to Vrndavana, where he came upon the hill known as Govardhana
- One of the friends of Mother Yasoda continues, "On the one hand, there is your child who is always captivated by sucking the milk from your breast, and on the other hand there is the great Govardhan Hill which can obstruct the passing of the clouds"
- One of the friends once said, "My dear cowherd friends, the sound of Krsna's flute from above Govardhan Hill is telling us that we need not go to search Him out on the bank of the Yamuna
- Radha-kunda, at the foot of Govardhana, is superior to all because it is there that love of Krsna overflows
- Radharani's friend said, "I think it may be granted that this person is the same enchanting Personality of Godhead by whose flute vibration the three worlds are captivated. He must be the same Mukunda who is standing before Govardhan Hill"
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu mistook the sand dune for Govardhana Hill and ran toward it
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu said, "'May the left arm of Sri Krsna, whose eyes are like the petals of a lotus flower, always protect you. With His left arm He raised Govardhana Hill as if it were a toy'"
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu said, "Who has brought Me here from Govardhana Hill? I was seeing Lord Krsna's pastimes, but now I cannot see them"
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu thought, "Since I shall not at any time climb Govardhana Hill, how shall I be able to see Gopala Raya"
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu was very eager to see Gopala, but He did not want to climb Govardhana Hill. Therefore by some trick the Gopala Deity personally descended
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu would also run very fast across the sand dunes, mistaking them for Govardhana. As He ran, He would wail and cry loudly
- Srila Raghunatha dasa Gosvami intended to go to Vrndavana to see the lotus feet of Rupa and Sanatana and then give up his life by jumping from Govardhana Hill
- Superior to the forest of Vrndavana is Govardhana Hill, for it was raised by the divine hand of Sri Krsna and was the site of His various loving pastimes
- That chapter also tells how the Lord entrusted Raghunatha dasa Gosvami to the care of Svarupa Damodara Gosvami and gave Raghunatha dasa the gift of a stone from Govardhana Hill and a garland of small conchshells
- The citizens of mathura continued, "Krsna held up the great Govardhana Hill in one hand for seven continuous days and saved all the people of Gokula from incessant rain, hurricane and hailstorm"
- The cowherd men who were taking care of the cows on the top of Govardhana Hill tried to stop them, but they failed. Baffled by their failure, they were feeling ashamed and angry
- The cows were so melted with affection for the calves that they did not care about the rough path from the top of Govardhana Hill down to the pasturing ground. They approached the calves with their milk bags full of milk, and raised their tails upwards
- The elderly friends said, "If you will all look more closely you will see that it is only a thunder cloud upon Govardhana Hill; it is not the Aristasura in the shape of a bull, as you have imagined"
- The followers of the Krsna consciousness movement may therefore collect small rocks or pebbles from Govardhana Hill and worship them at home, because this worship is as good as Deity worship
- The form of Krsna who began to eat the offerings was separately constituted, and Krsna Himself, along with the other inhabitants of Vrndavana, offered obeisances to the Deity as well as Govardhana Hill
- The gifts consisted of some sand from the site of the rasa-lila, a stone from Govardhana Hill, dry ripened pilu fruits and a garland of small conchshells
- The inhabitants of Vrndavana assembled together, decorated their cows and gave them grass. Keeping the cows in front, they began to circumambulate Govardhana Hill
- The interior Vrndavana forest is considered superior to Mathura, but superior to these forests is the divine Govardhana Hill because Krsna lifted Govardhana Hill like an umbrella, raising it with His lotuslike beautiful hand to protect His associates
- The Kesi demon was killed in the early morning, and after that the boys (Krsna and His friends) went to tend the cows on Govardhana Hill, and it was there that Vyomasura was killed. Both (Kesi and Vyomasura) demons were killed in the morning
- The promise of Krsna that His devotees are never vanquished had also previously been admitted by Indra when he was defeated in the Govardhana-lila
- The proprietor of this village, Govardhana-dhari, is lying in the bushes. Let us go there and rescue Him from that place
- The sacrifice known as Govardhana-puja is observed in the Krsna consciousness movement. Lord Caitanya has recommended that since Krsna is worshipable, so His land - Vrndavana and Govardhana Hill - is also worshipable
- The same gopi said, "The best presentation offered by Govardhana Hill, however, is newly grown grass for the cows and calves"
- The same gopi said, "Thus Govardhana is always in touch with the lotus feet of the Lord"
- The same gopi spoke, "When all the animals and trees and plants, either on the top of Govardhana Hill or in the valley, see the dancing of the peacocks, they all stand still and listen to the transcendental sound of the flute with great attention"
- The vayasyas said, "We are very much aggrieved to see You in this position. If You think that Sudama is not able to support Govardhan Hill, then at least You should change hands"
- Then Krsna began to eat all the food offered there. The identity of Krsna and Govardhana Hill is still honored, and great devotees take rocks from Govardhana Hill and worship them exactly as they worship the Deity of Krsna in the temples
- There were many waterfalls on Govardhana Hill, and their flowing made a nice sound. Krsna heard them as He looked into the caves of the hill
- These cows had their own calves, and the calves that were grazing beneath Govardhana Hill were larger; they were not expected to drink milk directly from the milk bag but were satisfied with the grass
- Thinking in this way, Lord Krsna immediately picked up Govardhana Hill with one hand, exactly as a child picks up a mushroom from the ground. Thus He exhibited His transcendental pastime of lifting Govardhana Hill
- This Govardhana Hill is the best! O my friends, this hill supplies Krsna and Balarama, as well as Their calves, cows and cowherd friends, with all kinds of necessities - water for drinking, very soft grass, caves, fruits, flowers and vegetables
- Those who took prasadam included not only the people of Govardhana village but also those who came from other villages. They also saw the Deity of Gopala and were offered prasadam to eat
- Thus Raghunatha dasa began worshiping the stone from Govardhana, and as he worshiped he saw the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Krsna, the son of Nanda Maharaja, directly in the stone
- Today I went from here to Govardhana Hill to find out if Krsna was tending His cows there
- We must carefully follow in the footsteps of Sri Madhavendra Puri and observe how he installed the Gopala Deity on top of Govardhana Hill, how he arranged and performed the Annakuta ceremony in only one day, and so forth
- When it was advertised throughout the country that Lord Gopala had appeared atop Govardhana Hill, all the people from neighboring villages came to see the Deity
- When Krsna walks near Govardhan Hill with these personal features, all the inhabitants of the heavenly planets, as well as the inhabitants of this earth, feel transcendental bliss and consider themselves the eternal servants of the Lord
- When some brahmanas were requested by Nanda to circumambulate Govardhan Hill, they told him that they were more interested in offering benedictions than in circumambulating Govardhan Hill. This is an instance of laziness caused by self-satisfaction
- When Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu passed through the Jharikhanda forest, He took it for granted that it was Vrndavana. When He passed over the hills, He took it for granted that they were Govardhana
- When the Lord saw Govardhana Hill, He immediately offered obeisances, falling down on the ground like a rod. He embraced one piece of rock from Govardhana Hill and became mad
- When the rainy season was not ended completely but was gradually turning to autumn, sometimes, especially when there was rainfall within the forest, Krsna and His companions would sit under a tree or within the caves of Govardhana Hill
- When they (the cows) were coming down the hill (of Govardhana), their milk bags were pouring milk on the ground out of intense maternal affection for the calves, although they were not their own calves
- Where is that intelligent person who is unwilling to serve this divine Radha-kunda, which is situated at the foot of Govardhana Hill?