overcome | overcomes | overcoming |overcame
Subcategories Pages in category
This category has the following 10 subcategories, out of 10 total.
- ► Conquer (17 C, 266 P)
- ► Defeat (19 C, 213 P)
- ► God Can Overcome all Others Running (2 P)
- ► Vanquish (22 C, 166 P)
Pages in category "Overcome"
The following 99 pages are in this category, out of 99 total.
- A human being is required to accumulate daivi sampat, or spiritual assets; otherwise, the next alternative, asuri sampat, or material assets, will overcome him disproportionately, and thus one will be forced into the entanglement of different miseries
- A person who cannot overcome the jurisdiction of stereotyped religious principles is compared to an animal chained up by his master
- Actually, we have to conquer birth, death, disease and old age, and because there is no possibility of overcoming all these miserable conditions, due to the illusion of maya, we are simply meeting with parabhava, or defeat
- Akrura continued, "You (Krsna and Balarama) are not implicated in the activities of those material qualities, for Your supreme knowledge is never overcome like the knowledge of the individual living entity"
- All living entities are born into delusion, overcome by the dualities of desire and hate. This is an explanation of how the living entity falls down into this material world. In the spiritual world there is no duality, nor is there hate
- Anyone who is specifically favored by the Supreme Lord, the Personality of Godhead, due to unalloyed surrender unto the service of the Lord, can overcome the insurmountable ocean of illusion and can understand the Lord
- As a part of Him (God), one should concentrate on Him only, without deviation; otherwise one is sure to be overcome by the potencies of the material creation, one after another
- Before death overcomes you, you make a solution of the problem. That is intelligence, that "The greatest danger is awaiting me - death." That is sure. "As sure as death." Everyone knows
- Beginning from Ravana (everyone is trying to become independent of law of material nature), who wanted to prepare a direct staircase to the planets of heaven, down to the present age, they are trying to overcome the laws of nature
- Being thus bewildered (as if blinded by the dust of a whirlwind, the conditioned soul sees the beauty of the opposite sex), he is raised upon the lap of a woman, and at that time his good senses are overcome by the force of passion
- Brahma said, "Simply by understanding the Supreme Personality of Godhead, one can overcome the chain of repeated birth and death. I therefore recommend that people should not try to understand You (Krsna) by their speculative knowledge"
- By attaining the highest platform of devotional service, as I have explained, one can overcome the influence of the three modes of material nature and be situated in the transcendental stage, as is the Lord
- Garga Muni said, "Being very popular in Vrndavana, He will be the cause of all good fortune for you. Because of His presence, you will overcome all kinds of material calamities, despite opposing elements"
- Great stalwarts like Lord Siva can, by their wrathful glances, overcome lust and vanquish him, yet they cannot be free from the overwhelming effects of their own wrath
- Having served him for a long time, she grew weak and emaciated due to her religious observances. Seeing her condition, Kardama, the foremost of celestial sages, was overcome with compassion and spoke to her in a voice choked with great love
- He (Bahulasva) was so overcome by feelings of love that after bowing down only once, he forgot his position and could not rise again
- He (Krsna) personally suggests that although the ways of illusory energy are very stiff to overcome, one who surrenders unto the lotus feet of the Lord is set free by the order of the Supreme
- He (the conditioned soul) thus (raised upon the lap of a woman, his good senses are overcome by the force of passion) becomes almost blind with lusty desire and disobeys the rules and regulations governing sex life
- He is overcome with ecstatic anxiety because he constantly thinks of Krsna very devoutly within the core of his heart. Tears flow from his half-open eyes, and eruptions appear on his entire body
- I am now old man, and attacked with serious disease; I may be overcome by death at any moment. Therefore I wish to leave some trained preachers so that they can do the work of Krishna Consciousness in the western world. That is my ambition
- If I want to protect this body with all hygienic principles, soaps and pumice and injection and medicine and so many things, does it mean that you shall live? Can you overcome the laws of nature? No, that is not possible
- If one carries out the order of the spiritual master by disciplic succession, or the parampara system, he overcomes the four defects
- If one engages himself in the service of Krsna or His plenary expansions with unfailing determination, although these modes of material nature are very difficult to overcome, one can overcome them easily
- If one is overcome by knowledge of the Lord's opulence, he cannot attain the Lord's lotus feet, even though he is engaged in devotional service
- In a faltering voice, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu again said, "Alas, go on reciting, Rama Raya." Thus Ramananda Raya began to recite a verse. While listening to this verse, the Lord was sometimes very jubilant and sometimes overcome by lamentation
- In order to overcome the effects of Buddhist philosophy and spread Vedanta philosophy, Sripada Sankaracarya had to make some compromise with the Buddhist philosophy, and as such he preached the philosophy of monism, for it was required at that time
- In the material world we are situated in designative positions only, but pure devotional service begins when one is freed from all designations. When love for Krsna is awakened, the designative positions are overcome
- Indeed, he will be unbearable to his enemies, for although staying very near him, they will never be able to approach him but will have to remain as if far away. No one will be able to overcome the strength of King Prthu
- Insurmountable, eternal time imperceptibly overcomes those who are too much attached to family affairs and are always engrossed in their thought
- Intelligence is supposed to direct the mind, but the mind is so strong and obstinate that it often overcomes even one's own intelligence, as an acute infection may surpass the efficacy of medicine
- It's not only the Pandavas who were put into the condition of enmity, but all of us are always in such a condition & the best way of living is to become completely dependent on the will of the Lord & thereby overcome all difficulties of material existence
- King Pariksit thought: Due to my neglecting the injunctions of the Supreme Lord I must certainly expect some difficulty to overcome me in the near future
- Krsna continued, "You (the gopis) have displayed exemplary attraction for Me, overcoming the greatest difficulties arising from family connections"
- Krsna's knowledge of His spiritual identity is never overcome by material action, whereas the minute part-and-parcel living entities are prone to forget their spiritual identity due to material action
- Krsna, the Parabrahman, or the Supreme Brahman, being always situated in full knowledge, is never overcome by such activities. Therefore Krsna is called Acyuta, meaning "He who never falls down"
- Laksmi is extremely difficult to understand because she is so powerful that the jurisdiction of her power is difficult to overcome. She is represented in the material world as the external energy but actually she is always the internal energy of the Lord
- Lord Krsna says in the Bhagavad-gita, "The influence of the material nature is insurmountable, but anyone who surrenders unto Me can verily overcome the influence of material nature"
- Many hundreds and thousands of demons, demi-demons, Yaksas, Raksasas (man-eater) and others, headed by Sumali and Mali, resisted the armies of King Indra, which even death personified cannot easily overcome
- Modernized material benefits are like the dust of material contamination. When this dust is agitated by the whirlwind of fruitive activity, it overcomes the heart. Thus the mirror of the heart is covered with dust
- O scion of Bharata (Arjuna), O conquerer of the foe, all living entities are born into delusion, overcome by the dualities of desire and hate. BG 7.27 - 1972
- Of course, one must practice before one is overcome by death, but the perfect yogi, namely the devotee, dies in trance, thinking of Krsna
- One can overcome the spell of maya and attain the transcendental platform by agreeing to engage in the devotional service of the Lord
- One captured the other and threw him down on the ground, and another rushed from the back to the front of another and tried to overcome him with a hold. The fighting increased step by step
- One who neither hates nor desires the fruits of his activities is known to be always renounced. Such a person, free from all dualities, easily overcomes material bondage and is completely liberated, O mighty-armed Arjuna
- One who neither hates nor desires the fruits of his activities is known to be always renounced. Such a person, liberated from all dualities, easily overcomes material bondage and is completely liberated, O mighty-armed Arjuna. BG 5.3 - 1972
- One who practices resisting these demands or urges is called tapasvi, or one who practices austerities. By such tapasya one can overcome victimization by the material energy, the external potency of the Supreme Personality of Godhead
- Sin will overcome us if we slay such aggressors. Therefore it is not proper for us to kill the sons of Dhrtarastra and our friends. BG 1.36 - 1972
- Since the living entity is associated with material nature, he is in an awkward position, but if in the human form of life he is taught how to associate with the Supreme Personality of Godhead or His devotee, this position can be overcome
- Sri Sukadeva Gosvami said: While King Citraketu, overcome by lamentation, lay like a dead body at the side of the dead body of his son, the two great sages Narada and Angira instructed him about spiritual consciousness as follows
- The beloved Lord was away from His own prosperous metropolis of Dvaraka for a considerably long period because of the Battle of Kuruksetra, and thus all the inhabitants were overcome with melancholia due to the separation
- The best way to overcome this, the way to control the mind is to become Krsna conscious
- The Bhagavad-gita clearly states that the reaction of material energy is never to be conquered, because of the binding effects of the three modes. They can simply be overcome by one who surrenders fully in devotion under the lotus feet of the Lord
- The Blessed Lord said: Son of Prtha, a transcendentalist engaged in auspicious activities does not meet with destruction either in this world or in the spiritual world; one who does good, My friend, is never overcome by evil. BG 6.40 - 1972
- The city of King Puranjana was overcome by the Gandharva and Yavana soldiers, and although the King had no desire to leave the city, he was circumstantially forced to do so, for it was smashed by Kalakanya
- The difference between the living entity and the Lord is that the living entity is part and parcel of the Supreme Lord and has the tendency to be overcome by the interactions of the material qualities
- The idea is that in this old age I do not know when death will overcome me, and I wish to die in the last days of my life at Vrindaban
- The invalidity of old age can overcome an ordinary man, but Narada Muni was different. Taking Narada Muni to be an ordinary man, the daughter of Time (Kalakanya) confronted him with her lusty desire
- The living entities are eternally part & parcel of God, minute sparks of the original fire, Krsna. As sparks are prone to be extinguished, but not the blazing fire, the living entities can be overcome by material activities, whereas Krsna never can
- The living entity is exactly like a dog, who, overcome with hunger, goes from door to door for some food. According to his destiny, he sometimes receives punishment and is driven out and at other times receives a little food to eat
- The Lord confirms (in the BG) "Although the stringent laws of material nature are very difficult to overcome, one who surrenders unto the Lord can very easily cross over nescience." There is no influence of material nature in the spiritual world
- The Lord Himself warns that the deluding power of material energy is too powerful to overcome, but one who completely surrenders unto the Lord can easily do so
- The mind is so strong and obstinate that it sometimes overcomes the intelligence, although the mind is supposed to be subservient to the intelligence
- The only way that we can overcome maya is by seriously and sincerely taking shelter of Krishna
- The personified Vedas continued, "Such pure devotees, thoroughly engaged in Krsna consciousness, very easily overcome the cycle of birth and death, and they as much as jump over the head of death"
- The specific quality of this assembly house was that anyone participating in a meeting within it would overcome the influence of invalidity due to old age
- There (bank of the Yamuna) Radharani saw a cottage wherein She and Krsna had experienced many loving pleasures, and by remembering those incidents She immediately became overcome with dizziness. This dizziness was very prominently visible
- There are hundreds and thousands of examples all over the world, all over the universe, which are all effects of the influence of time. The conclusion is that there is no powerful living being within the universe who can overcome the influence of time
- Therefore those who are trying to overcome the laws of nature, that is the so-called modern scientists' endeavor. That is foolishness, rascaldom. They cannot do it. It is not possible
- These ecstasies are always there, but sometimes they overcome all limits, and the symptoms become manifest to all
- These three items attract the mind of a perfect student engaged in spiritual activities and overcome all other processes of spiritual activity
- They (queens) overcame that stage of weakness and became caught up with the idea of embracing the Lord (Krsna), and this thought factually made them unconscious of their surrounding environment
- They (the brahmanas) continued to talk among themselves: "The external energy of Krsna is so strong that it can create illusion to overcome even the greatest mystic yogi"
- This divine energy of Mine (Krsna), consisting of the three modes of material nature, is difficult to overcome. But those who have surrendered unto Me can easily cross beyond it. This was actually proved by the behavior of Haridasa Thakura
- This divine energy of Mine, consisting of the three modes of material nature, is difficult to overcome. But those who have surrendered unto Me can easily cross beyond it. BG 7.14 - 1972
- This ghost, however, overcomes me with redoubled strength when I chant the Nrsimha mantra. When I even see the form of this ghost, great fear arises in my mind
- Those whose minds are overcome by the mode of passion are attracted by the color of gold, just as a man suffering from cold in the forest runs after a phosphorescent light in a marshy land, considering it to be fire
- To overcome the influence of material nature is very difficult, but the devotees or the saintly persons who are under the protection of the Lord are not affected. So what need is there to speak of the Lord Himself
- Transcendental alertness is possible when the illusory condition is completely overcome. At that stage, when in contact with any reaction of material elements, such as sound, touch or taste, the devotee realizes the transcendental presence of the SPG
- We should be very strongly inclined to Krsna consciousness like Haridasa Thakura. Then we shall be able very easily to overcome the allurement of maya
- When a perfect yogi's attention is no longer attracted to the by-products of mystic powers, which are manifestations of the external energy, his progress towards Me becomes unlimited, and thus the power of death cannot overcome him
- When an offense is done unto the devotee of the Lord, it is very difficult to overcome the reaction. The brahmanas, being at the head of the social orders, are meant to give protection to their subordinates and not to curse them
- When Krsna uprooted the two arjuna trees and Yasoda heard the sound of the trees crashing down, she became overcome with emotion and simply stared upward, being too bewildered to know what else to do
- When one is bound by affection for one's wife, one is attached to sexual desires that are very difficult to overcome. Therefore, according to Vedic civilization, one must voluntarily leave his so-called home and go to the forest
- When one is in complete knowledge, all reactions, both a priori and a posteriori, are consumed. In the Vedas (Brhad-aranyaka Upanisad) it is statedi: "One overcomes both the pious and impious reactions of work"