Collaborate with us to invoke and fully manifest Srila Prabhupada's Vani-presence.
renounce | renounced | renounces | renouncing
This category has the following 4 subcategories, out of 4 total.
Pages in category "Renounce"
The following 93 pages are in this category, out of 93 total.
- A devotee is always in a renounced temperament because the worldly attractions can never satisfy him
- A person is said to be elevated in yoga when, having renounced all material desires, he neither acts for sense gratification nor engages in fruitive activities
- A person who knows the intrinsic value of this material world for the service of the Lord, who is not attached to the material world, and who renounces the material world by not accepting it for sense gratification is situated in real renunciation
- A sannyasi cannot meet his wife again. That is renouncement. Renouncement means renouncing connection with woman, or renouncing sex life
- A sannyasi may perform a marriage ceremony to help his disciple in the advancement of Krsna consciousness. If one renounces such activities, it is to be understood that he is acting in the mode of darkness
- A sannyasi who always lives in the forest and renounces all connection with the world in order to be elevated to the heavenly planets, where he can live in the Nandana-kanana, is called Aranya
- A student sacrifices his childish proclivities to gain better education. A servant gives up his job for a better job. Similarly, a devotee renounces the material world not for nothing but for something tangible in spiritual value
- After renouncing everything, Srila Jiva Gosvami went to Vrndavana. Later he also wrote many books on devotional service and expanded the work of preaching
- All the sons of Prajapati Daksa (the Haryasvas and Savalasvas) had first been raised to the platform of jnana and had then automatically renounced this world
- Arjuna was a family man, a soldier, and he was directly taught the principles of Bhagavad-gita, but he never renounced the world nor the battlefield
- Attaining transcendental knowledge does not necessarily mean renouncing the duties of our ordinary life
- Caitanya continues, "Although Madhavendra Puri was hungry, he would not beg food to eat. This renounced person carried a load of sandalwood for the sake of Sri Gopala"
- Caitanya Mahaprabhu continued, "Sri Madhavendra Puri used to remain alone. He was completely renounced and always very silent. He was uninterested in everything material, & for fear of talking about mundane things, he always lived without a companion"
- If I am in renounced, I am naked, I eat, only eat fruit, and I live within jungle, and I have got many lady monkeys with me, oh, what sort of renouncement that is? That is not... That is called "monkey renouncement"
- If one can renounce woman's connection, then he's liberated man. That is very, very difficult
- If one takes to Krsna consciousness and if he renounces family life and preaches Krsna consciousness, then he will be happy, and the persons amongst whom he will preach, they will be happy
- In the process of karma-kanda, it is recommended that one renounce physical pleasures for a time; so a karmi may sometimes be called an ascetic
- In your country, the hippies. They have given up everything, but sex is there. They cannot give it up. They have renounced everything, their father's property, their happy life, everything, but the sex is there. They cannot leave it
- It is not that one becomes a devotee simply by renouncing the world and coloring the dress. But in any dress, in any capacity, one can satisfy Krsna if His cause is served
- Krsna consciousness movement does not say that artificially you simply make some renouncement, all nonsense. And to recompensate we take to some drugs, take to some intoxication, no. You take nice food. Krsna has given nice food
- Krsna said: "O My beloved gopis, you have renounced social customs, scriptural injunctions and your relatives for My sake. I disappeared behind you only to increase your concentration upon Me"
- Maharaja Pariksit, constantly rapt in thought of Lord Krsna, knowing well of his imminent death, renounced all sorts of fruitive activities
- Monkey has renounced, naked, but at heart there is sense gratification. So markata-vairagya is no good. So simply to become vegetarian is no good. You must develop love of Godhead. That is real thing
- Narada Muni was completely right in instructing the sons of Prajapati Daksa (the Haryasvas and Savalasvas) to renounce this material world immediately and take shelter of the Supreme Personality of Godhead
- Narada Muni, while discussing with Maharaj Yudhisthira the various functions of the different orders in society, especially mentions rules for the sannyasis - those persons who have renounced this material world
- No illicit sex, no intoxication, no gambling, no meat-eating. This is renouncement. So this renouncement and knowledge can be acquired, simply this method of bhakti-yoga, what is that? Thinking of Krsna
- One cannot be really renounced until one actually becomes disgusted with material activity and sees it as a stumbling block to spiritual advancement. Renunciation should not be phalgu, temporary, but should exist throughout one’s life
- One has renounced the family life. He has no more botheration how to maintain his wife and children. Then what is his duty? That duty is very responsible duty - to work for Krsna
- One must be very faithful, learned and renounced, otherwise one cannot be a pure devotee
- One who acts in devotional service, renouncing the fruits of his actions, and whose doubts have been destroyed by transcendental knowledge, is situated factually in the self. Thus he is not bound by the reactions of work, O conqueror of riches
- One who has attained the perfect brahminical stage naturally becomes renounced; he does not strive for material gain because by spiritual knowledge he has come to the conclusion that in this world there is no insufficiency
- One who is free of all material jubilation, hatred, lamentation and desire, who renounces both materially auspicious and materially inauspicious things, and who is devoted to Me is very dear to Me
- One who neither hates nor desires the fruits of his activities is known to be always renounced. Such a person, free from all dualities, easily overcomes material bondage and is completely liberated, O mighty-armed Arjuna
- One who neither rejoices nor grieves, who neither laments nor desires, and who renounces both auspicious and inauspicious things - such a devotee is very dear to Me
- One whose heart is not clean cannot think of the transcendental pastimes of the Supreme Lord, but if one can once again place the Supreme Personality of Godhead in his heart, he very easily becomes qualified to renounce material attachment
- Raghunatha dasa Gosvami used to eat rejected food that he had collected and washed. This renounced life greatly pleased both Svarupa Damodara Gosvami and Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu
- Raghunatha dasa was inwardly completely renounced, even in family life, but he did not express his renunciation externally. Instead, he acted just like an ordinary businessman. Seeing this, his father and mother were satisfied
- Renouncement means we renounce our personal sense gratification, that's all. That is renouncement. Materialism means personal sense gratification, and spiritual life means no personal sense gratification, all Krsna's sense gratification
- Renouncing all of a sudden
- Renunciation means one has got all these things, richness, fame, beauty, knowledge, but he renounces everything for some higher purpose
- Renunciation means renouncing ones dependence on the conditions of material nature and thus becoming completely dependent on the mercy of the Lord
- Renunciation necessitates renouncing the false understanding that one can lord it over material nature
- Rukmini continued, "But in order to achieve the favor of Your (Krsna's) lotus feet, they renounced their exalted positions and entered the forest to practice penances and austerities"
- Rukmini continued, "My dear Lord, You have stated that persons who possess nothing are very dear to You; renouncing everything, Your devotee wants to possess You only"
- Sannyasi should be situated completely in spiritual order. He has nothing to do. He should simply be engaged in spiritual service, in Krsna consciousness. That is the perfection of renouncement
- Sat nyasa, sannyasa. This is the combination. Sat means the Supreme, the ever-existing, and nyasa means renunciation. That means one who has renounced everything for serving the Supreme, he is real sannyasa
- Simply by devotional service, one can raise himself to the position of perfect knowledge, and thus he can renounce all sinful activities
- Sometimes He (Lord Krsna) creates an awkward situation, and the devotee becomes obliged to renounce all worldly affairs. The devotee can understand by the signal of the Lord, but others take it to be unfavorable and frustrating
- Sometimes we may artificially renounce the world, but as soon as the opportunity of sucking blood is there, we turn again into a bed bug
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu did not encourage sannyasis to eat very palatable dishes, for the whole Vaisnava cult is vairagya-vidya, as renounced as possible
- Srila Rupa Gosvami advised that one should renounce worldly association and keep company with the devotees
- Suppose a very rich man is attractive, a very intelligent man is attractive, a beautiful man is attractive, a famous man is attractive, a wise man is attractive, a renounced man is also attractive. These are attractive features
- Surrender means full renunciation, no reservation. And renunciation means you renounce something and keep something. That is difference
- Temple or asrama means for renunciation and renounced persons. If one is engaged in self-realization process, then his material necessities become almost nil. Persons who do not like this can work outside
- The hippy philosophy is nice as they are disgusted with the materialistic way of life. Therefore they want to renounce this stereotyped way of life. Unfortunately, they have no good leader, neither information that there is another beautiful life in KC
- The jnanis, they are very much proud that they are advanced in knowledge and renouncing, but if somebody asks, "Sir, what you are renouncing?" "This world." "All right. When this world became your property that you are renouncing?"
- The king of the country or the emperor of the empire must be so trained that by nature he renounces sense gratification. It is not that because one becomes king he should unnecessarily spend money for sense gratification
- The saffron dress worn by a sannyasi announces to the world that he has renounced all worldly affairs and is simply engaged in the service of the Lord
- The vanaprastha, when the gentleman is completely educated for renouncing this world, then he sends back the wife to grown-up boys and he takes sannyasa. This is sannyasa dress
- The varnasrama institution is most scientific. It aims at giving one the facility to return home, back to Godhead, which one cannot do without completely renouncing all connections with the material world
- There are also four standard asramas, namely brahmacarya (student life), grhastha (householder), vanaprastha (retired) and sannyasa (renounced)
- There are many impersonalists within our experience who renounced this world to merge into the impersonal existence, but being baffled there they come down again to the material world to find out engagement as altruist, philanthropist, communist, etc
- There are many stories. One of them I am citing. It is very interesting. Visvamitra Muni. Visvamitra Muni, he was a great king, ksatriya, but his priest, Vasistha Muni, he had great spiritual power. So he renounced his kingdom. He wanted to advance
- There is no need for a devotee to cultivate materialistic knowledge, nor does a devotee need to renounce everything and live as a hermit. He can simply remain at home and execute devotional service smoothly in any order of life
- They (the gopis) renounced everything for Krsna. They have pure attachment to giving Krsna pleasure
- This conception of the material world is very nicely explained by Rupa Gosvami, who says that when persons renounce the material world as illusory or false without knowing that it is a manifestation of the Supreme Lord, their renunciation is of no value
- Those who are genuinely renounced understand that they must not give up performing their prescribed daily duties in the social order, because otherwise there will be disaster, plain and simple
- Tyaga means to give up the result to Krsna. That is sannyasa. Sat-nyasa. Sat means the Supreme. And anyone who renounces everything for Krsna, the Supreme, he is sannyasi
- We cannot either renounce or enjoy. Both are illegal. Simple thing is that we must know that as it is formulated here, that everything belongs to God
- We come here empty-handed; we leave here, say, fifty years or hundred years. When I become proprietor? This is another maya, renouncement. As enjoyment is another maya, similarly, renouncement. So we have to give up this renouncement or enjoyment
- We have created dharma in two categories: one for enjoyment and one for renouncement. Both these things have to be given up. Neither enjoyment, nor renouncement. Then what is this philosophy? The philosophy is that you cannot renounce anything
- We have renounced our family life after thinking something. Now, if somebody comes, "Swamiji, you take thousand millions of dollars and marry again and become a family man," I'll never become, because I have got my bad experience
- We should try to understand what is God. If you can find out a person who is superior in everything, in wealth, in strength, in beauty, in fame, in knowledge, in renouncement, He is God. Don't capture any fourth-class God
- What is the use of becoming a renouncer? After all, you have got this body. How can you renounce it? Either you cover it with underwear or either you cover it with costly dress, you have to cover it. So that covering also belongs to Krsna
- What we have renounced? We have renounced... We are using the motorcar, we are using this machine, we are eating, we are sleeping in nice room - what is the renouncement? Only renouncement is no connection with woman
- When a person is no longer interested in acting for sense gratification and when he renounces all material desires, he is said to be situated in perfect yoga (yogarudha)
- When a Vaisnava renounces the materialistic way of life and takes to sannyasa, it is not on the conception of the falsity of the material world but to devote himself fully to engaging everything in the service of the Lord
- When one is in complete knowledge, one ceases all material sense gratification, or renounces all kinds of sense gratificatory activities. This is practiced by the yogis who restrain the senses from material attachment
- When one renounces this false attitude and renounces the puffed-up position that he is also God, that is real renunciation. Otherwise, there is no meaning of renunciation
- When the embodied living being controls his nature and mentally renounces all actions, he resides happily in the city of nine gates (the material body), neither working nor causing work to be done