Collaborate with us to invoke and fully manifest Srila Prabhupada's Vani-presence.
- this Category is used for compiling the word sense as in the meanings of "sense of duty","common sense" etc. and not "sense" as in "sense gratification" etc. These are compiled under the Category "Senses"
This category has the following 24 subcategories, out of 24 total.
- ► Engaging Our Senses in Devotional Service to God (2 C, 24 P)
- ► Higher Sense (9 P)
Pages in category "Sense"
The following 225 pages are in this category, out of 225 total.
- A gosvami knows the standard of sense happiness. In transcendental sense happiness, the senses are engaged in the service of Hrsikesa, or the supreme owner of the senses - Krsna. Serving Krsna with purified senses is called Krsna consciousness
- A person in Krsna consciousness does not run this risk. One therefore has to engage one's mind and senses in Krsna conscious activities, and Lord Caitanya teaches one how to do this in practice
- A preacher is giving real sense. To awaken this sense, Krsna had to come personally. And he is doing the same work: "Surrender to Krsna." How much great service it is
- Abandon identifying the self with the body and the home, and practice reading the revealed scriptures. Live in a secluded place and practice the process by which you can completely control your life air, mind and senses
- Actually, the proprietor is the Supreme Lord. We are just guest in His house. We are not proprietor. We must have, we must develop this sense, that Krsna is the proprietor, or the Supreme Lord is the proprietor
- After some moments, they came to their senses and became patient. Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu then informed Sri Ranga Puri about His relationship with Isvara Puri
- After uttering the word 'atmaramah' fifty-eight times and taking 'ca' in a sense of aggregation, one may add the word 'munayah.' That will mean that great sages also render devotional service to Lord Krsna. In this way there are fifty-nine meanings
- Akrura continued, "My dear Lord, I am completely incapable of controlling my mind, which is now driven by the unbridled senses and is attracted by fruitive activities and their results. Therefore, my intelligence is very miserly"
- All devotees are more or less poets. Out of 26 qualifications of a perfect devotee, one is poetic sense. So we can write so many poetries in praise of the Lord, or about His pastimes
- Although in one sense He is the maker of this caste system all over the world, still, in another sense, Krsna is to be understood as not its maker
- Although in the material sense the glancing of a boy at a girl is a kind of pollution, when Krsna threw His transcendental glance at the gopis, they became purified
- Although the living being has the tendency to be illusioned and trapped by the material energy, he belongs to the antimaterial energy, or spiritual energy. In this sense the living being is the positive energy, whereas matter is the negative
- Although the living being has the tendency to be illusioned by the material energy for sense enjoyment, he belongs to the antimaterial, or spiritual energy. In this sense the living being is the positive energy, whereas matter is the negative energy
- Another point clearly stated in the answer of Sukadeva Gosvami is that it is the mind, senses and intelligence of the individual living entity that the Lord created. It is not stated that the living entities themselves were ever created
- Anyone who has any desire or aspiration for satisfying his senses by becoming more and more important, either in the material sense or in the spiritual sense, cannot actually relish the really sweet taste of devotional service
- Arjuna understands that renunciation in knowledge involves cessation of all kinds of work performed as sense activities. But if one performs work in devotional service, then how is work stopped?
- Artificially, such sense desires cannot be stopped. But if one is engaged in Krsna consciousness, then, automatically, sense desires subside without extraneous efforts
- As far as the bad men are concerned, they are also four in number: (2) those who are simply addicted to vicious work for sense satisfaction and so suffer the consequence
- As far as the bad men are concerned, they are also four in number: (3) those who are materially very much advanced in knowledge, but who suffer because they do not have the sense to acknowledge the authority of the Almighty Lord
- As His energies & activities increase, He also increases His knowledge to understand them. Both are increasing unlimitedly, & there is no end to it. In that sense it can be said that even God Himself does not know the limit of His energies and qualities
- As mentioned above, the word mayat is also used in the sense of "transformation"; sometimes it is also used to mean "by-product"
- As the senses are progressively purified by bona fide devotional service, the Lord reveals His identity according to the spiritual advancement of the devotee
- Balarama said, "Simultaneously I can also give this Romaharsana Suta life again, with a span of long duration, sufficient strength and full power of the senses. Not only this, but if you desire I shall be glad to award him anything else you may ask"
- Because everyone who has come to this material world, that is for sense gratification. Those who deny to satisfy Krsna, they are sent here, "All right, you satisfy your sense by your labor here"
- Becoming liberated does not necessitate losing one's sensual activities. Sense activities continue even in the liberated stage. The difference is, however, that sense activities in liberation are accepted only in connection with Krsna consciousness
- By practicing restraint of the senses by the yoga system one can get relief from the disturbances of desire & lust, but this is not sufficient to give satisfaction to the soul, for this (satisfaction) is derived from devotional service to the P of G
- By proper conviction and intelligence one should gradually cease sense activities. This is called pratyahara
- By restraining the senses one can free himself from material association, and by meditating on the Supreme Personality of Godhead one can become free from the three modes of material attachment
- By transformation of the false ego in passion, intelligence takes birth, O virtuous lady. The functions of intelligence are to help in ascertaining the nature of objects when they come into view, and to help the senses
- Chanting Hare Krishna does not require any artificial artistic sense, but still, if the procedure is presented rhythmically, then the people may be attracted more by the transcendental music
- Confidential devotees of the Lord see in every step a benedictory direction of the Lord. What is considered to be an odd or difficult moment in the mundane sense is accepted as special mercy of the Lord
- Controlled means mind and the senses. And the prominent sense is sex. That is called control. So if you want to become immortal, then you must practice this. Of course, in Western countries, it is very difficult
- Do you think this flower which is coming out daily in your garden in different colors and different smell and flavor, they are being done without any artistic sense? This is nonsense. There is sense. There is God's potency
- Due to a greater sense of intimacy, the devotee functioning in parental love chastises and rebukes the Lord in an ordinary way
- Due to the interaction of water with the taste perception, the subtle element odor evolves under superior arrangement. Thence the earth and the olfactory sense, by which we can variously experience the aroma of the earth, become manifest
- Even sometimes amongst the gopis there is envy, but that enviousness is transcendental and should not be accepted in the mundane sense
- Everyone can be an isvara. So we are also controller of something. A business man is controller of his business; I am controller of my disciples. There are so many controllers. So in that sense, everyone is isvara, in the sense of controller
- Everyone is trying to be happy by his work. A man, ordinary worker, he is also trying to be happy by working, and a great capitalist, he is also trying to be happy by work. But Bhagavad-gita says that they are trying to be happy in what sense?
- First of all a mouth appeared in Him, and then came forth the organ of speech, and with it the god of fire, the deity who presides over that organ. Then a pair of nostrils appeared, & in them appeared the olfactory sense, as well as prana, the vital air
- First the total material energy is manifested, and from this arise the three types of egotism, which are the original sources from which all demigods (controlling deities), senses and material elements expand
- Foolish people do not know that association is the cause of acquiring qualities. Association with fire makes an object hot, even in the material sense. Therefore, association with the Supreme Personality of Godhead makes one qualified like the Lord
- From the sky situated within the transcendental body of the manifesting Maha-visnu, sense energy, mental force and bodily strength are all generated, as well as the sum total of the fountainhead of the total living force
- God has many thousands of names or God has no name. No name means He has, He has got so many thousands of millions of names that you cannot say, "This is only God's name." This is one sense
- God is not senseless. If He is senseless, then there was no use of speaking this Bhagavad-gita and taking it so very important book so that world is reading very carefully. He's not senseless. He is full sense
- Gradually, as the mind becomes progressively spiritualized, withdraw it from sense activities, and by intelligence the senses will be controlled
- Happiness derived from a combination of the senses and the sense objects is always a cause of distress and should be avoided by all means
- He (God) is antiseptic in the sense that even an impure thing can become purified just by touching Him. The word "prophylactic" refers to the power of His association
- He engaged his eyes in seeing the Deity of Krsna, Krsna's temples and Krsna's places like Mathura and Vrndavana, he engaged his sense of touch in touching the bodies of the Lord's devotees
- He engaged his sense of smell in smelling the fragrance of tulasi offered to the Lord, and he engaged his tongue in tasting the Lord's prasada
- He gives heart and senses to a woman, who falsely charms him with maya. He enjoys solitary embraces and talking with her, and he is enchanted by the sweet words of the small children
- Her mind, senses and body are steeped in love for Krsna. She is Krsna's own energy, and She helps Him in His pastimes
- Hissing indignantly, all his senses shaken by wrath, the demon quickly sprang upon the Lord and dealt Him a blow with his powerful mace
- How King Satrajit offended the Yadu dynasty and how he later came to his senses and offered his daughter and the Syamantaka jewel to Krsna are described as follows
- I am just speaking opposite, from the beginning of my preaching. So why you are coming? So if you stick to your position, real human civilization, people will come, gradually. Because they have got the sense
- I am so much grieved to learn the news of our revered god-brother, Swami Bhakti Sadhak Niskincana Maharaja, and I am so glad to learn that he passed away in full sense chanting "Krishna, Krishna". This is a glorious death
- I have started this Krsna consciousness movement in this country to make people happy: happy in this life, happy in next life. This is not temporary sense happiness
- I surrender unto You because whereas I am proud of my material body and senses, Your Lordship is the cause of the cosmic manifestation and yet You are untouched by matter
- If a child, a small child, I ask him, "My dear child, you take my shoes and keep it there," he will immediately agree. He has no sense, "Oh, he is asking me to take his shoes." He will immediately agree. Even he is very rich man's son
- If one simply deposits all of his or her loving propensity onto the Deity of Krishna, immediately they are relieved of anxiety due to material sense agitation. This is Krishna Consciousness
- If our mind, senses, speech, money and energies are thus engaged in the service of Krsna, then we are no longer in material nature. By virtue of spiritual consciousness, or Krsna consciousness, we transcend the platform of material nature
- If the kingly administrative order, being unrestricted in sense control, offends the brahmana order and enrages them, then the fire of that rage burns up the whole body of the royal family and brings grief upon all
- If the priest says, "The scientist speaking against religion; therefore he should be hanged," so that is not good government. Government must see that whether the scientist is speaking the truth. That sense must be there
- If we understand that everything belongs to God, so that sense will lead me: "No, I am not enjoyer." So my sense gratification, my anger, my lust, all finished at once, at stroke, if I understand that "Nothing belongs to me; everything belongs to God"
- If you take the word in a real sense, the survival of the fittest, one who has understood that he is not this body, he is spirit soul, he is fit to survive
- If you want to spoil this life under the influence of misleaders, you can do it. But if we prefer to take the sense of following leadership of Krsna, then our life is successful
- In answering King Pariksit's question, Sukadeva Gosvami replied that the S P of Godhead has created the mind, senses and living force of the living entity for the purpose of sense gratification and transmigration from one kind of body to another
- In brahminical culture a brahmana's transcendental position is eternally maintained because the injunctions of the Vedas are accepted with faith, austerity, scriptural conclusions, full sense and mind control, and meditation
- In other words, one can utilize the senses, mind and living force for sense gratification and transmigration from one body to another or for the matter of liberation
- In Srimad-Bhagavatam it is stated that a man takes his next body by daiva-netrena, which means by the supervision of the authority of the Supreme. In an ordinary sense, daiva is explained as destiny
- In that case, by the word 'ca,' the word 'eva' is meant. The word 'api' can be taken in the sense of aggregation. Thus the verse would read atmarama eva - that is, even all kinds of living beings worship Krsna
- In that sense, also, the Lord is Narayana, as ayana means the source of knowledge as well as the resting place. It is also confirmed in the Bhagavad-gita that the remembrance of the living entity is due to the presence of the Supersoul within the heart
- In the mechanical system of mystic yoga, the airs within the body are controlled, and the senses are subdued and checked from being engaged in anything other than meditation upon Lord Visnu
- In the ultimate issue there is nothing material because everything has its origin in the spiritual world. The material manifestation is therefore called illusion in the proper sense of the term
- In the wake of the olfactory sense came the wind-god, who presides over that sense. Thereafter a pair of eyes appeared in the universal form, and in them the sense of sight
- In the wake of this sense came the sun-god, who presides over it. Next there appeared in Him a pair of ears, and in them the auditory sense and in its wake the Dig-devatas, or the deities who preside over the directions
- It does, however, indicate that in a broader sense there is one interest, just as in a family the interest of all members is one, or in a nation the national interest is one, although there are many different individual citizens
- It is condemned in this sense, that those who are thinking that "I have got this temple. Let people come here out of sentiment and they'll pay, and it will be a source of income for my filling up belly..." This is most condemned
- It is only that I can call Spiritual Master someone who is teaching me purely what my initiating Spiritual Master has taught. Do you get the sense?
- It is stated in the Bhagavad-gita that one who engages all his activities and senses in the devotional service of the Lord becomes completely peaceful because the Supersoul is satisfied with him
- It is the nature of the material qualities that when one becomes very much opulent in terms of wealth and a prestigious position, one loses one's sense of etiquette and does not care about anyone
- Jambavati replied, "He (Jambavan) thus came to his senses and immediately returned the Syamantaka jewel. Furthermore, to satisfy the Lord (Krsna), he presented me to Him to become His wife"
- Just as uncontrolled senses are the enemies of all yogis engaged in advancing in spiritual life, this Prahlada, who appears to be a friend, is an enemy because I cannot control him
- Kapila said: The senses are symbolic representations of the demigods, and their natural inclination is to work under the direction of the Vedic injunctions. As the senses are representatives of the demigods, so the mind is the representative of the SPG
- Krishna is the only male & all others being energies of Krishna, they're prakrti, or female. Please don't try to understand this male & female in the material sense. In other words, our perfection of life will be actually realizing that we're all females
- Krsna addressed Balarama, "The members of the Yadu dynasty sense great danger before the soldiers of Jarasandha, and they are very much aggrieved. Just to give them protection, Your chariot is also here, filled with weapons"
- Krsna clearly says that only those who have lost their sense worship the demigods for paltry rewards (7.20, 23)
- Krsna says that the foolish mundaner considers himself the author or doer of all his activities by a sense dictated by his false egoism, without knowing that it is the modes of nature that lead him to do everything in all his engagements
- Lord Krsna left His instructions for the benefit of all human society, but fools and rascals unfortunately think of Him as an ordinary human being and twist the instructions of Bhagavad-gita for the satisfaction of their senses
- Lord Siva is in one sense the Supreme Personality of Godhead, but in another sense he is not, just as curd is milk although we have to distinguish between the two
- Maharaja Ambarisa engaged his senses in the transcendental loving service of the Lord. As a result, he awakened his dormant loving propensity for the Lord's service
- Maitreya went on: Thus having spoken to Kardama Muni, the Lord, who reveals Himself only when the senses are in Krsna consciousness, departed from that lake called Bindu-sarovara, which was encircled by the River Sarasvati
- Many want to speak something to others, but because they are not trained to speak on the subject matter of Vedic wisdom they are all speaking nonsense, and people are receiving them with no sense
- Mucukunda continued, "For many, many births I have been suffering from the threefold miseries of this material existence, and I am now tired of it. I have been impelled only by my senses, and I was never satisfied"
- My dear friend, this forest of Vrndavana is giving great pleasure to our senses in various ways. Somewhere bumblebees are singing in groups, and in some places mild breezes are cooling the entire atmosphere
- My dear King, when the gopis were missing Krsna, they were so much absorbed in meditation upon Him that all of their senses stopped functioning, and they lost all bodily sense. It was as though they had become liberated from all material conditions
- My dear Lord, You are the supreme controller of the worker, sense activities and results of sense activities (karma). Therefore You are the controller of the body, mind and senses. You are also the supreme controller of egotism, known as Rudra
- Narada said, "The ordinary conditioned human being may think that the conditioned soul, who is covered by his materialistic senses, mind and intelligence, is equal to Krsna"
- No one can bring the activities of the mind and senses to a stop, but one can purify these activities through a change in consciousness
- No one can overcome the Supreme Personality of Godhead's illusory energy, which is so strong that it bewilders everyone, making one lose the sense to understand the aim of life
- No, no. I withdraw that word false. But it is not you. It is false in this sense, that you are accepting this body yourself, but that you are not
- Nobody can be independent. We are dependent. And this is called knowledge. When you come to the sense, that "I am dependent; I am not independent," this is called knowledge
- Not by the senses, by the mind, by the life air, by thoughts within the heart, or by the vibration of words can the living entities ascertain the real situation of the Supreme Lord
- Not only children but also elderly persons should be very careful to protect their sense of Krsna consciousness and avoid unfavorable circumstances so that they may not forget their prime duty
- One becomes almost blind and is bereft of all sense when he is infuriated by the desire for sense gratification. He forgets everything
- One gopi said, "We are losing our senses in deciding whether we shall continue as chaste women or be victimized by the beauty of Krsna. My dear friend, I think that we have lost all hope of life!"
- One should not sit closely with one's mother, sister or daughter, for the senses are so strong that they may attract even a person advanced in knowledge
- Our present senses are all made of material elements, and therefore they are imperfect in realizing the transcendental form of Lord Visnu. He is therefore worshiped by sound representation via the transcendental method of chanting
- Receiving Krsna, the Pandavas were enlivened, just as if awakened from unconsciousness or loss of life. When a man is lying unconscious, his senses and the different parts of his body are inactive
- Regarding your question about the difference between mind and soul, the mind is one of the senses, and the soul is the owner of the senses, including the mind
- Samadhi (trance) means absorption of all the activities of the senses in a particular object, and the gopis indicate that the pastimes of Krsna are the perfection of all meditation and samadhi
- Sarvam khalv idam brahma means that everything is Lord Krsna in the sense that everything is His energy. That is the vision of the maha-bhagavatas. They see everything in relation to Krsna
- Silence means that one is always thinking of self-realization. The person in Krsna consciousness observes perfect silence in this sense
- Silence means that one is always thinking of self-realization. The person in Krsna consciousness observes perfect silence in this sense. Control of the mind means detaching the mind from sense enjoyment
- Since I have heard the name of a person called Krsna, I have practically lost My good sense. Then, there is another person who plays His flute in such a way that after I hear the vibration, intense madness arises in My heart
- Since You are the supreme cause, the cause of all causes, nothing can exist without You. Yet we are different from You in a relationship of cause and effect, for in one sense the cause and effect are different
- Six principles we should avoid: eat or accumulate money more than necessary, waste energy for material gain, talk unnecessarily, follow regulative principles fanatically without sense or not follow them & become greedy & associate with persona non-grata
- So do you think this flower which is coming out daily in your garden in different colors and different smell and flavor, they are being done without any artistic sense? This is nonsense. There is sense. There is God's potency
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu continued, "By seeing you, by touching you and by glorifying your transcendental qualities, one can perfect the purpose of all sense activity. This is the verdict of the revealed scriptures"
- Srila Rupa Gosvami, Sanatana Gosvami and Srila Raghunatha dasa Gosvami and others gave up their worldly pomp and prosperity for the sake of the service of the Lord. They were big men in the worldly sense
- Such liberated persons as Vyasadeva are perfect not only by the power of vision and wisdom, but also in aural reception, in thinking, feeling and all other sense activities
- Sukadeva Gosvami appeared very innocent because he was transcendental to sex relations. The ladies, by their special qualifications, could sense this at once, and therefore they were not very concerned about him
- That artificial stoppage of sense activities will not be ultimately beneficial. Or thinking that my sense activities may be stopped, I become silent, become one with the supreme - that will also not help us
- The action of the air is exhibited in movements, mixing, allowing approach to the objects of sound and other sense perceptions, and providing for the proper functioning of all other senses
- The analogy concerning the spiritual body of the Sat-Guru is acceptable, but not in the material sense. In the material world, the gold box and the gold plated box may be different in price, but in spiritual world there is no such distinction
- The benedictions were fitting in the sense that the Lord was playing the part of a human being, as if a cousin of Maharaja Yudhisthira, but they were also unfitting because the Lord is absolute and has nothing to do with any kind of material relativities
- The Blessed Lord said: O Partha, when a man gives up all varieties of sense desire which arise from mental concoction, and when his mind finds satisfaction in the self alone, then he is said to be in pure transcendental consciousness. BG 2.55 - 1972
- The devotee said, "My dear Lord, O head of the Yadu dynasty, now I have come to my senses, and I am taking shelter of Your (Krsna) lotus feet"
- The devotee should not hear Lord Visnu or His devotees blasphemed. (19) The devotee should avoid reading or hearing newspapers or mundane books that contain stories of love affairs between men and women or subjects palatable to the senses
- The Earth personified continued, 'You Krsna) are always transcendental to all these material activities. My dear Lord, I know that earth, water, fire, air, sky, the five sense objects, mind, the senses, their deities, egotism & the total material energy"
- The eight principles of sankhya-yoga - observing the regulative principles, following the rules, practicing the various sitting postures, performing the breathing exercises, withdrawing one's senses from the sense objects
- The forceful restraint of sense activities by the eight principles of yoga is recommended for inferior men; superior men, being engaged in the superior activities of Krsna consciousness, naturally retire from the inferior activities of material existence
- The god of fire entered His mouth with the organ of speech, but the virat-purusa could not be aroused. Then the god of wind entered His nostrils with the sense of smell, but still the virat-purusa refused to be awakened
- The gosvamis restrain all their senses, and they stick to the path made by the previous acaryas
- The gross activities of the mind are expressed through the external senses, either for the acquisition of knowledge or for the functioning of the senses in accordance with the will
- The impetus for lording it over material nature is the sense of "mine" and "I". "I am the lord of all that I survey. So many things I possess, and I shall possess more and more. Who can be richer than I in wealth and education?"
- The individual souls have spiritual senses, but in conditioned life they are covered with the material elements, and therefore the sense activities are exhibited through matter
- The intelligence influences the mind, and the mind controls the ten senses. Five of these senses gather knowledge, and five work directly. Each sense has many desires to be fulfilled
- The intelligent man situated in Krsna consciousness does not try to forcibly stop his senses from acting. Rather, he engages his senses in the service of Krsna
- The Kurus thought, "If they (Yadus) come to challenge us because their son was arrested, we shall accept the fight & teach them a lesson, automatically they will be subdued under pressure, as the senses are subdued by the mystic yoga process of pranayam"
- The living entity, thus taking another gross body, obtains a certain type of ear, tongue, and nose and sense of touch, which are grouped about the mind. He thus enjoys a particular set of sense objects. BG 15.9 - 1972
- The materialists, who have no concept of God, think that they are advancing. But according to Bhagavad-gita, they are unintelligent and devoid of all sense. They try to enjoy this material world to the utmost limit
- The mind, the senses and the vital force, or living entity, have forms, although they are not visible to the naked eye. Form rests in subtle existence in the sky
- The modern civilization is to give freedom to sense satisfaction, because they cannot control. Just like you are riding on a horse, but the horse is not under your control, then you say, "Let it go to hell, never mind"
- The peculiarity of the gradual development of the different senses is simultaneously supported by their controlling deities
- The personalist worships the Lord out of a great sense of gratitude, utilizing the ingredients born out of the bodily limbs of the Lord
- The Personality of Godhead was not seen but only heard does not make any difference
- The personified Vedas continued, "Dear Lord, when a person is able to purify his mind, senses and intelligence by engaging himself in devotional service in full Krsna consciousness, his mind becomes his friend. Otherwise, his mind is always his enemy"
- The position of the jnanis and yogis is therefore not as secure as the position of the devotees of Krsna. Lord Krsna has therefore advised in the Bhagavad-gita that only a person who has lost his sense takes to the worship of demigods
- The prefix "nih" may be used for a sense of ascertainment, gradation, construction or forbidding. The word "grantha" means "riches," "thesis" and "composition"
- The prostitute (Mayadevi) by eating frugally and fasting she conquered her senses, and as soon as her senses were controlled, symptoms of love of Godhead appeared in her person
- The senses are so strong and impetuous, O Arjuna, that they forcibly carry away the mind even of a man of discrimination who is endeavoring to control them. BG 2.60 - 1972
- The senses are so strong that they are always anxious to have sense gratification. One should not cater to these demands, which are not necessary
- The senses are the practical signs of life. Human civilization is meant for purifying the senses, and objects of sense satisfaction should be supplied as much as absolutely required, but not for aggravating artificial sensory needs
- The senses are very strong, and if a neophyte devotee imitates Haridasa Thakura, his enemies (kama, krodha, lobha, moha, mada and matsarya) will disturb and fatigue him
- The senses for acquiring knowledge and the organs for action number ten, namely the auditory sense, the sense of taste, the tactile sense, the sense of sight, the sense of smell
- The senses for acquiring knowledge and the organs for action number ten, the active organ for speaking, the active organs for working, and those for traveling, generating and evacuating
- The son of Advaita Prabhu named Gopala fainted during kirtana, and when he did not come to his senses, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu favored him by awakening him
- The sun-god entered the eyes of the virat-purusa with the sense of sight, but still the virat-purusa did not get up. Similarly, the predominating deities of the directions entered through His ears with the sense of hearing, but still He did not get up
- The voters adore the so-called leaders only when they promise sense gratification. As soon as the voters are dissatisfied in their sense satisfaction, they dethrone the leaders. The leaders must always disappoint the voters by not satisfying their senses
- The whole purpose of detachment from all kinds of sense attachment is ultimately to become situated on the platform of Krsna consciousness
- The word "api" is used in the sense of possibility, question, doubt, censure, aggregation, appropriate application of things, and extravagance
- The word "ca" ("and") is used to connect a word or sentence with a previous word or sentence, to give the sense of aggregation, to assist the meaning, to give a collective understanding, to suggest another effort or exertion
- The word 'ca' can also be used to indicate the certainty that only saintly persons are engaged in rendering devotional service to Krsna. In the combination 'atmarama api,' 'api' is used in the sense of censure
- The word 'nirgrantha,' when combined with 'api' used in the sense of certainty, indicates a person who is a hunter by profession or who is very poor
- The word 'nirgranthah' can be used as an adjective, and 'api' can be used in the sense of certainty. For instance, ramas ca krsnas ca means that both Rama and Krsna enjoy walking in the forest
- The word agastya indicates that the senses do not act independently, and the word muni means mind
- The wounds created on the body of the Lord by the sharpened arrows of Bhismadeva were as pleasing to the Lord as the biting of a fiancee who bites the body of the Lord directed by a strong sense of sex desire
- The yogic situation is that of detachment from all sensual engagements. Closing all the doors of the senses and fixing the mind on the heart and the life air at the top of the head, one establishes himself in yoga. BG 8.12 - 1972
- Then taking the word 'nirgranthah' and considering 'api' in the sense of sustenance, I have tried to explain a fifty-ninth meaning of the verse
- Then that supreme authority, personified by sound and unseen by eyes, but most wonderful, stopped speaking. Feeling a sense of gratitude, I (Narada) offered my obeisances unto Him, bowing my head
- There are five senses for acquiring knowledge: the eyes, ears, nose, tongue and skin. Then five working senses: voice, legs, hands, anus and genitals. Then, above the senses, there is the mind, which is within and which can be called the sense within
- There is nothing in existence not related to Sri Krsna. In a sense, there is nothing but Sri Krsna, and yet nothing is Sri Krsna save and except His primeval personality
- These are the different meanings of the word "krama." It is used in the sense of potency, systematic arrangement, step, moving or trembling
- These symptoms create transformations of bodily activities as well as movements of the senses. All of them can be accepted as different feelings of the heart. Sometimes some of the feelings are quite natural
- They describe the Vedas in their original sense, and out of mercy (anugraha) they preach the purpose of the Vedas to all conditioned souls
- They're eating meat. They have no even human sense. What is that religion?
- This Krsna consciousness movement is very important movement - important in this sense, that we are educating people without any discrimination about Krsna, what is Krsna
- Thus controlling the mind, senses and intelligence, the tranecendentalist becomes free from desire, fear and anger. One who is always in this state is certainly liberated. BG 5.27-28 - 1972
- Thus situated in the renounced order from the beginning of their lives, all three of them completely controlled the activities of their senses and thus became great saints
- Time, nature, prakrti (as cause and effect), the mind, the material elements, false ego, the modes of nature, the senses, the universal form, complete independence and the moving and nonmoving beings appear subsequently as His opulences
- To worship the Deity. And you cannot derive benefit unless the aesthetic sense is applied to the higher authority, with reverence and respect. That is wanted
- Under certain circumstances, the religious principle has changed, but originally every human being on this planet were following the Vedic religion. And another sense, everyone is following the Vedic religion if it is religion
- Unless his senses are thus engaged, a living entity cannot think of getting out of the great entanglement of material existence, which is exactly like Yamaraja's stringent rope
- Upon seeing the charming forms of the Lord, smiling and attractive, and hearing His very pleasing words, the pure devotee almost loses all other consciousness. His senses are freed from all other engagements, and he becomes absorbed in devotional service
- Vasudeva expressed his sorrow due to not being able to give protection to his own sons born of Devaki. He was thinking that religious principles, economic development and the satisfaction of his senses were therefore all lost
- Vasudeva said, "Although the forces of the senses, strength, movement and growth of the body appear to be performed by different movements of the airs within the body, they are all ultimately manifestations of Your (Krsna and Balarama) energy"
- Vasudeva said, "The senses, the controllers of the senses (the demigods) and the acquisition of knowledge, which is the purpose of the senses, as well as the subject matter of knowledge - all are You (Krsna and Balarama)"
- Vasudeva said, "You (Krsna and Balarama) are the egoistic principle of passion, which is the cause of the senses, and the egoistic principle of goodness, which is the origin of the different controlling deities of this material world"
- Vidura inquires from Uddhava, "He (Akrura) has such ecstatic love for Krsna that I have seen him rolling upon Krsna's footprints in the dust as if bereft of all senses"
- We are human beings, we should know what Krsna says. Krsna says, evam parampara praptam imam rajarsayo viduh. The parampara, whether he's speaking parampara or he's speaking whimsically. That much sense we must have
- What is that bad work? Bad work means sense gratification. That's all. Anything you do for the satisfaction of your sense, that is bad work. And anything you do for satisfaction of Krsna, that is good work
- Whatever we experience, even in this material condition of life, is but an emanation from Him. The Absolute Truth created the mind, senses and intelligence
- When a demigod worshiper comes to his senses, he can reason as follows, "The demigods can offer benedictions only after being empowered by the Supreme Lord, so why not worship the Supreme Lord directly"
- When a nondualist comes to sense that the Lord is worshipable and that the devotee is simultaneously one with and different from the Lord, then only can he surrender unto the Lord, Vasudeva. Pure devotional service begins from that point
- When Brahma was thus standing baffled in his limited power and conscious of his limited activities within the eleven senses, he could realize that he was also a creation of the material energy, just like a puppet
- When he (a man) regains his consciousness the senses immediately become active. Similarly, the Pandavas received Krsna as if they had just regained their consciousness, and so they were very much enlivened
- When I do not act for any material purpose, that means my sense activities are purified, and that is bhakti
- When it is said that Puranjana goes to Vaisasa, it is meant that he goes to hell. He is accompanied by Lubdhaka, which is the working sense in the rectum
- When Lord Siva saw that his devotee Banasura could not be saved even in his presence, he came to his senses and personally came before Lord Krsna and began to pacify Him by offering the following prayers
- When one comes to see the disadvantage of aggravating the sense activities, one is called a jnani, and when one tries to stop the activities of the senses by the practice of yogic principles, he is called a yogi
- When one develops an unflinching sense of ownership or possessiveness in relation to Lord Visnu, or, in other words, when one thinks Visnu and no one else to be the only object of love, such an awakening is called bhakti (devotion)
- When one is after sense gratification, he is mad, he becomes mad. these are the adjectives. These are the description. Indriya, the senses, are just like snakes. As the snake, as soon as it bites, immediately there is death
- When one is in complete knowledge, one ceases all material sense gratification, or renounces all kinds of sense gratificatory activities. This is practiced by the yogis who restrain the senses from material attachment
- When someone engages in Lord Krsna's devotional service for the satisfaction of the senses and instead acquires a taste for serving Krsna, he gives up his material desires and willingly offers himself as an eternal servant of Krsna
- When the demigods and presiding deities of the various senses were thus manifested, they wanted to wake their origin of appearance. But upon failing to do so, they reentered the body of the virat-purusa one after another in order to wake Him
- When the demon saw the PG, who had eyes just like lotus petals, standing in position before him, armed with His Sudarsana discus, his senses were overpowered by indignation. He began to hiss like a serpent, and he bit his lip in great resentment
- When the maidservant approached the child, who was lying down, she saw that his eyes were turned upward. There were no signs of life, all his senses having stopped, and she could understand that the child was dead
- When the mind is joined with a particular sense, it immediately becomes manifest in a certain way. For instance, when there is anger in the mind, the tongue vibrates so many maledictions
- When you apply your senses for satisfaction of Krsna, then it is called bhakti. And when your senses are engaged in the service of Krsna it cannot be engaged otherwise. Otherwise the sense will be engaged in the sense objects
- When you are free from the conception of gross and subtle bodies and when your senses are free from all influences of the modes of material nature, you will realize your pure form in My association. At that time you will be situated in pure consciousness
- Without knowing the actual process by which the mind and senses can be controlled, less intelligent men may try to stop the mind and senses by force, but ultimately they give in to them and are carried away by the waves of sense gratification
- Without the guidance of Lord Krsna all of them (Pandavas) are nonentities, as much as the senses of the body are useless without the guidance of consciousness
- Yamuna prayed "I forgot Your (Balarama) glorious, exalted position, but now I have come to my senses, and I remember that You hold all the planetary systems on Your head merely by Your partial expansion Sesa. You are the sustainer of the whole universe"
- You can eat meat, but you cannot eat meat by killing your father and mother. That is human sense. You are taking milk from the cow; it is your mother
- You must have a resolution how to finish the development of New Vrndavana in the right sense of the term. At the same time, please make a very nice scheme to purge out the non-Vrndavana spirit that entered in our Society