Collaborate with us to invoke and fully manifest Srila Prabhupada's Vani-presence.
Category:I Am Not This Body
"i am not this body"|"i am not the body"|"this is not my body"|"we are not this body"|"he is not this body"|"he is not the body"|"you are not the body"|"you are not this body"|"not this body"|"not the body"
Pages in category "I Am Not This Body"
The following 122 pages are in this category, out of 122 total.
- Designations belong to the body, but we are not these bodies
- The relative is lamenting, crying, "My father is gone." That means he never saw his father; he saw the body only. But at the time of death of his father he understands that this father is not this body; that is soul
- You are not this body (Books and Lectures)
- You are not this body (Conv and Letters)
- A devotee does not attach much importance to the pains and trouble pertaining to the body because he knows perfectly well that he is not the material body
- A dog cannot understand that you are not this body. So similarly, if the human being cannot understand that he is not this body, what is the difference between him and the dog?
- A liberated person - one who has completely understood that he is not the body but a spirit soul - disregards past activities performed in ignorance and performs his present activities in such a way that they produce no reactions
- A living being is not the material body but an eternal part and parcel of the Supreme Being, and thus revival of his self-knowledge is essential. Without this knowledge, the human life is baffled
- A materialistic rascal does not know that he is not the body but a spiritual soul within the body. However, one should understand his real position and cultivate knowledge by which to get free from bodily entanglement
- A sannyasi is one who has clearly understood, through advancement in knowledge, that Brahman - he, the person himself - is the soul, not the body
- Abodha-jatah means one who is born fool. Every one of us is a born fool. Why? From the beginning of our life I know that "I am this body," although I am not this body. Therefore we are all born fools, everyone
- Actually the human life is meant for being educated that he is not this body; he is soul. That is the Vedanta-sutra philosophy, to inquire about the spirit soul. That is our main business
- Aham brahmasmi: "I am not this body." This is applicable only to the person who constantly engages in the devotional service of Krsna and is thus in the transcendental stage; he is above the influence of the three modes of material nature
- Arcana means worship of the Deity in the temple. By executing this process one confirms himself to be not the body but spirit soul
- As soon as I understand that "I am not this body; body's acting through my consciousness," if I am firmly convinced, if I stand steadily on this conviction, that "I am consciousness," then all my designations at once go
- As soon as we understand or become convinced that I am not this body, then spiritual education begins
- As we are not this body, past life means there was another body; we have forgotten it. Just like at night we dream, "I have gone to some foreign place and talking with some foreigners and so on, so on"
- At the present moment we are all working on the platform of bodily concept of life but when you come to the platform of understanding that aham brahmasmi, I am not this matter, I am spirit soul, then my occupational duty changes
- Atmavan especially means that one should be self-possessed. He should always remain in the pure consciousness that he is spirit soul and not the material body or the mind. That will make him progress confidently in Krsna consciousness
- Bhagavad-gita as it is is pure knowledge, beginning with the first knowledge one has to understand, that he is not this body. Because this is the basic principle all ignorance: "I am this body." "I am American," "I am Indian," "I am brahmana,"
- Bhagavad-gita begins with the spiritual instruction that one is not the body but is within the body. This consciousness can be possible only if one chants the holy name of Krsna, the Hare Krsna maha-mantra & always keeps association of devotees
- Brahman life begins when we understand that "I am not this material body. I am spirit soul." That is brahma-jnana. And one who has got this knowledge, he is brahmana
- Brahman realization is also very high position. It is not ordinary thing, that "I am not this body. I am Brahman." This realization is not ordinary realization. It is also realized after purification of the mind. But that is also not sufficient
- By mental speculation one can understand that one is not the body but a spirit soul, but unless one engages in devotional service, the real purpose of life is never fulfilled. The real purpose of life is to go back home, back to Godhead
- By taking advantage of the Superself's guidance in the form of intelligence we can either continue to study & practice our conclusion "I am not this body," or we can choose to remain in the false material identification
- Dehi means the possessor, the owner of the body. It is said clearly, and we can understand that when I meditate upon my body, actually what I am. So if one is deep thinker, he'll immediately understand that "I am not this body"
- Don't be captivated by the material opulence, even you are put into great difficulties. Because you are not this material body. You are spirit soul. So your progress should be steady on the spiritual platform
- Even if we know, still, if there is some bodily pain we become very much disturbed. But we should know, always remember, that "I am not this body"
- Even though a person may be in full knowledge that he is not this body but is transcendental to the body, he still may not be able to discriminate between the soul and the Supersoul
- Experimental knowledge can be achieved when one has understood the false knowledge. By experimental or proved knowledge, one can understand that he is not the body but spirit soul
- First spiritual knowledge is this, that "I am not this body." Then the spiritual knowledge begins. Otherwise there is no possibility of spiritual knowledge
- First spiritual realization is to understand oneself that "I am not matter; I am spirit." This is the first stage of spiritual realization - when one firmly convinced. How? By knowledge
- For the impersonalist, pure egotism is aham brahmasmi - "I am not this body; I am spirit soul." But in its actual position, the spirit soul has devotional activities to perform
- He (a person acting in Krsna consciousness) knows that he is not this body and that this body does not belong to him. He himself belongs to Krsna, and the body too belongs to Krsna
- He (self realized person) knows perfectly well that he is not this body, but is the fragmental portion of Krsna. He is therefore not joyful in achieving something, nor does he lament in losing anything which is related to his body
- Human life should be sober. He should... Therefore the first beginning of real life is to understand that "I am not this body." This is the first lesson. But where is that education? Throughout the whole world, go anywhere
- I am not this body. I am spirit soul. My destination is how to go to the spiritual world, how to meet the supreme spirit, God, and live with Him in His association
- I am not this body... As Krsna wanted to impress upon Arjuna in the beginning of His teaching of Bhagavad-gita: "First of all try to understand what you are."
- I am not this body; I am not this material world. I am a spiritual identity, part and parcel of God
- I am put into this body under certain circumstances. Otherwise I am not this body
- I don't think in any university throughout the whole world there is such educational department where this science is handled. The soul. Whether I am this body or I'm not the body. I am not this body; that is the fact
- If a human being does not understand this fact - that he is not this body, he is changing his body, but he is spirit soul - then he is no better than the cats and dogs. We do not want to keep the human society in the category of cats and dogs
- If a person understands that he is not his body and that he has nothing to do with this material world, he becomes free from material entanglement
- If anyone is in bodily concept of life that "I am this body," then the basic principle of our life becomes on the false platform, because I am not this body
- If by the evolutionary process of philosophical life one happens to reach the platform of intellectual life and understands that he is not this material body but a spiritual soul, he is situated in the vijnana-maya stage
- If I ask you what you are, you will say, "I am Mr. John; I am a rich man; I am this; I am that." All these are bodily identifications. But you are not this body. This is illusion
- If you remain on the material platform and artificially desire no discrimination it is not possible. We are preaching therefore this Krishna consciousness movement so that we may not have material discrimination. The soul has nothing to do with the body
- If you take the word in a real sense, the survival of the fittest, one who has understood that he is not this body, he is spirit soul, he is fit to survive
- If you want to become happy, first of all we must get this knowledge, that "I am not this body."
- In the Second Chapter of Bhagavad-gita, the Supreme Lord explained that a living entity is not the material body; he is a spiritual spark. And the Absolute Truth is the spiritual whole
- In the Second Chapter of the Bhagavad-gita Krsna has begun the philosophy of Bhagavad-gita from this point, that "I am not this body." This is the beginning of spiritual knowledge
- Jada Bharata was completely liberated. He did not even care when the dacoits attempted to kill his body; he knew that he certainly was not the body
- Jnana means to understand that "I am not this material body. I do not belong to this material body. I am a spirit soul. I am part and parcel of Krsna. Krsna is the Supreme Spirit, and I belong to the spiritual world"
- KC is so beneficial it easily counteracts material nature's contamination resulting from one's possessing a material body. BG therefore teaches, in the beginning, that whether one is man or woman one must know he or she isn't the body but a spiritual soul
- Knowledge means self-realization, that "I am not this body; I am spirit soul." That is knowledge
- Krsna consciousness movement is completely different from ordinary movement. This is spiritual movement. This movement begins when one understands that he is not this body
- One has to get free from the bodily conception of life. That is the preliminary activity for a transcendentalist who wants to get free, who wants to be liberated. And he has to learn first of all that he is not this material body
- One should recognize the difference between activities of the body and the spiritual activities of one who understands that he is not the body
- One who wants to become free, who wants to become liberated, must first of all learn that he is not this material body. Mukti, or liberation, means freedom from material consciousness
- Only when a person is perfectly situated in the realization that he is not the body but a spirit soul can he begin the process of bhakti, or devotional service
- Our education should be based on that "I am not this body." Aham brahmasmi. That is Caitanya Mahaprabhu's movement. Caitanya Mahaprabhu declared that "I am not a brahmana, I am not a ksatriya, I am not a grhastha, I am not this or that"
- Our first proposition is that "You are not this body; you are spirit soul. Some way or other, you are in contact with this material world, and you have got this material body, and under illusion, you are accepting something which you are not"
- Our Krsna consciousness movement is educating people that "You are not this body, not this mind, not this intelligence, but above this. You are spirit soul." So Krsna confirms that mamaivamsa
- Our Krsna consciousness movement is trying to educate people on this science of sciences to understand first of all that "What you are? Are you this body or different from this body?" This is essential
- Our movement begins when one understands that he is soul or something other than this body
- Our philosophy is that we are not this body, outer tabernacle, but one must stick to our principles and live with us like other devotees
- People have no preliminary knowledge even. Everyone is thinking, "I am this body." "I am Indian," "I am American," "I am Hindu," "I am Muslim," "I am brahmana," "I am ksatriya." It is not this body I am
- Perfection means to understand his real constitutional position, that he is not this material body; he is spirit soul, Brahman. That is perfection, perfection of knowledge, brahma-jnana
- Pranamoya, Annamoya, etc. are different stages for persons who are too much engrossed in the bodily concept of life. Our philosophy begins from the point where we immediately accept that I am not this body; I am pure spirit soul, servant of God, Krishna
- Real knowledge means that aham brahmasmi: "I am not matter, I am a spirit soul." That is real knowledge. On the basis of this real knowledge, whatever is done, that is done in knowledge; otherwise it is done in ignorance
- Right conclusion is that I am not this body. If, somehow or other, I can live without this body, then my distresses are over. This is common sense. That is possible
- Self-discipline and constantly endeavoring for perfection. This is the perfection. Always be situated in self-realized condition that I am not this body. This is perfection. Actually it is
- Simple theoretical knowledge that "I am consciousness; I am not this body," anything, simple theoretical knowledge, cannot help us
- So long we have got this bodily concept of life, we cannot be cheerful. Full of anxiety. And as soon as we understand that "I am not this body; I am spirit soul," the next moment you will be cheerful
- So we should understand that we have got a separate business, real business. That is called self-realization, that "I am not this body." This is self-realization. That is being instructed by Krsna in the beginning, that "You are not this body"
- Somebody wants to become sir, lord, the president, or rich man, king. Because after all these designations belong to the body & we are not this body. This is the first conception of spiritual realization. So one has no attraction for designation
- Soul is not black, white, yellow. Soul is spirit. So one has to realize that "I am spirit soul. I am not Indian nor American nor Englishman nor German nor white nor black. This is my bodily description. I am not this body"
- Spiritual knowledge begins when one is perfectly aware that "After finishing this body, I am not finished." That is perfection. Not that those who are in this concept of life, that with the finishing of this body everything is finished. That is nonsense
- Successful means one who understands that I am not this body. You ask, you take census, in this Nairobi city, you will find that 99.9%, or more than that, people do not know what he is
- The beginning of divya-jnana is there when we try to understand that "I am not this body. I am superior element, I am spirit soul. This is inferior. So why should I remain in this inferior knowledge?"
- The Buddhists argue that the world is false, but this is not valid. The world is temporary, but it is not false. As long as we have the body, we must suffer the pleasures and pains of the body, even though we are not the body
- The conditioned soul thinks, "I am this body," but a liberated soul thinks, "I am not this body. I am spirit soul." This "I am" is called ego, or identification of the self
- The difference between a liberated and conditioned soul is that the conditioned soul is under the concept of bodily life, whereas a liberated person knows that he is not the body but a spirit, different from the body
- The difference between animal society & human society is that a human being, whoever he may be, he can, if he is taught, trained and educated, he can understand his real position, that he is not this body, but he is pure consciousness; he is spirit soul
- The first instruction of spiritual life is to understand that "I am not this body." The example is given, very simple thing, that I am present, although I remember that I had a small body lying down on the lap of my mother
- The individual soul is embodied since time immemorial. It is very difficult for him to simply theoretically understand that he is not the body
- The intelligent man, who is not crazy, he should understand that I am not this body
- The karmis are fully under the bodily conception of life, and the jnanis, although theoretically understanding that they are not the body, also have no information about the lotus feet of the Lord because they overly stress impersonalism
- The Krsna consciousness movement includes self-realization because one is first directed by Lord Krsna to understand that one is not the body but the owner of the body. When one understands this simple fact, he can direct himself toward the goal of life
- The material conception of life makes us very eager to receive honor from others, but from the point of view of a man in perfect knowledge - who knows that he is not this body - anything, honor or dishonor, pertaining to this body is useless
- The pure mind knows that he is not the material body; therefore the mind is considered to be the root of all material designations
- The Spiritual Master also can be present wherever the disciple wants. A Spiritual Master is the principle, not the body. Just like a television can be seen in thousands of places by the principle of relay monitoring
- The symptoms of the self-realized person are given herein. The first symptom is that he is not illusioned by the false identification of the body with his true self. He knows perfectly well that he is not this body
- The Vaisnava who knows that he is not this body, he does not therefore neglect his body, but he takes very nice care so that he may utilize his body in the service of Krishna
- The whole world is - I may say whole world, but at least the majority portion - everyone is under the impression that "I am this body." But I am not this body. I am soul
- There is fighting, due to ajnana. So first of all we have to drive away this ajnana. Therefore Krsna is teaching Arjuna that "You are not this body. You are spirit soul." This is the first spiritual instruction by the authority to anyone
- There is no institution, no school, no college, no university where this education is given, that "What I am? Am I this body, or I am something else? No. I am something else." So this education can be given through this Krsna consciousness movement
- This bodily exercise is meant for person who is in the bodily concept of life. One who understands that "I am not this body; I am part and parcel of Kṛṣṇa. My duty is to serve Krsna," that is first-class yogi
- This is the primary education of spiritual life. First of all you have to understand that you are not this body. You are living entity, different from the body. Just like you are different from the shirt-coat
- This kapha, pitta, vayu, this body, I am not this body. This is self-realization. "I am different from this bag of flesh and bone." When we realize completely, that is the first point of self-realization
- This Krsna consciousness movement is on the spiritual platform, above body, mind and intelligence. But actually, we should come to that platform, because we are spirit soul, we are neither this body nor this mind nor this intelligence
- Those who have acquired knowledge and are joyful, that I am not material, Aha brahmâsmi, So’ham this is all right but if you do not advance, then you will fall down. Then you will fall down from the realm of knowledge
- To realize aham brahmasmi is the first step of transcendental life. After one's in full knowledge that he's not this body but spiritual soul, he can effectually engage in the Lord's transcendental service. It isn't that one develops any other identity
- To understand yourself, that you are not this body, you are Brahman, and when you act factually in that Brahman stage, that is called bhakti
- We are not the body; we are spiritual beings trapped in the body. Our real interest lies in understanding this simple fact
- We are not the owner of this body, not the owner of the senses. The senses are just like hired, hired from the Supreme Lord. This is a very subtle understanding. One should know. So therefore actually the proprietor of the senses is God
- We cannot stand to see people suffering due to ignorance. What is that ignorance? They do not know that they are not their body
- We have to purify. That purification means one must know that "I am not this body. I am spirit soul"
- Whatever limited circle, you just become guru and deliver them. Deliver means deliver from the ignorance. Everyone is in ignorance, so we have to teach them that "You are not this body. You are pure soul. Your business is different"
- When a living entity, by his intelligence, reawakens his attraction for Krsna, he can understand that he isn't the body but part & parcel of Krsna. Thus filled with knowledge, he no longer labors under attachment to body & everything related to it
- When I realize that I am not this body, then immediately I transcend the three modes of material nature: sattva-guna, rajo-guna, tamo-guna. Under the bodily concept of life, I am influenced by one of the modes
- When one comes to understand that "I'm spirit soul," aham brahma, "I'm not this matter," so immediately he becomes jolly, prasannatma. And what is the sign of jolliness? Na socati na kanksati. He has no more any hankering, no more any lamentation
- When one comes to understand that he is not the body and therefore is neither fat nor skinny, one attains the topmost form of spiritual realization. When one is not spiritually realized, the bodily conception entangles one in the material world
- When one is in Krishna Consciousness, he no more feels any bodily pains and pleasures. After all, we are not this body. But we should make progress steadily by following the rules and regulations, not making experiment
- When one is in the sattva-guna then he can understand that "I am not this body. I am different from this body." For them, those who are in the sattva-guna, for them it is easier
- When the spirit soul is active, sometimes the Mayavadi philosophers, they think, "Now I've realized that I am not this body, I am not matter, I am spirit soul, so now I have become Narayana. I have become the Supreme." But no, that is mistake