Collaborate with us to invoke and fully manifest Srila Prabhupada's Vani-presence.
gopis | gopi | gopi's |milkmaids|milkmaid
This category has the following 18 subcategories, out of 18 total.
- ► God and the Gopis (1 C, 10 P)
Pages in category "Gopis"
The following 318 pages are in this category, out of 318 total.
- A gopi told mother Yasoda, "The breeze blowing from the south creates a pleasing atmosphere because it is fragrant and very cool"
- A gopi who cannot tolerate womanly anger, who speaks suitable words to the hero, and who is satisfied by His sweet words is called a daksina, or a right-wing gopi
- A gopi who is always eager to be jealously angered, who is very enthusiastic for that position, who immediately becomes angry when defeated, who is never under the control of a hero, and who always opposes Him is called a vama, or a left-wing gopi
- A list of fourteen of the principle Gopis, the first eight are called Astasakhi
- A person who can perform various types of work at once is called clever. In this connection one of the gopis said
- A pure devotee follows in the footsteps of the gopis and worships the gopis as follows, "Let me offer my respectful obeisances to all the young cowherd girls, whose bodily features are so attractive"
- A sannyasi is forbidden to hear songs sung by the fair sex. Yet even in the rigid position of a sannyasi He (Caitanya) recommended the mode of worship preferred by the gopis of Vrndavana as the topmost loving service possible to be rendered to the Lord
- Accompanied by His personal devotees, Caitanya went to the festival known as Laksmi-vijayotsava. There He discussed the superexcellent love of the gopis. Just by hearing about them, He became very pleased and danced in great ecstatic love for the Lord
- According to the Gaura-ganoddesa-dipika, Sri Madhavacarya was formerly the gopi named Madhavi
- Actually, only the gopis have the right to appreciate these transcendental pastimes, and only from them can these pastimes be expanded
- Actually, when Jiva Gosvami was alive, some of his followers disliked the parakiya-rasa of the gopis. Therefore Srila Jiva Gosvami, for their spiritual benefit, supported svakiya-rasa
- Acyutananda was formerly the gopi named Acyuta
- After addressing the innumerable trees and plants and the earth, they (the gopis) turned their faces toward the beautiful deer, who were looking at them very pleasingly
- After being received by the cowherd men and boys, the gopis, and King Nanda and Yasoda, Lord Balarama sat down, feeling satisfied, and they all surrounded Him
- After sunrise the gopis came as usual to offer their respects to Nanda Maharaja and Yasoda, but when they saw the golden chariot of Uddhava at the door, they began to inquire among themselves: What was that chariot, and to whom did it belong
- Again let me offer my respectful obeisances unto the Supreme Personality of Godhead. O my Lord, I offer my obeisances hundreds and thousands of times with all affection because by Your personal pastimes You plunge the gopis into an ocean of nectar
- Again Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu said to Ramananda Raya, "Please say something. I want to hear." Understanding the situation, Ramananda Raya recited the following words of the gopis
- All the gopis were solaced by the instructions of Uddhava, and they requested him to stay in Vrndavana for a few days more. Uddhava agreed to their proposal and stayed with them not only for a few days but for a few months
- All the unmarried gopis in Vrndavana used to daily worship goddess Katyayani early in the morning after taking a bath in the river Yamuna. Katyayani is another name for goddess Durga
- Although I (Bilvamangala Thakur) was also initiated into that path of Brahman realization, I have now become misled by a naughty boy - one who is very cunning, who is very much attached to the gopis and who has made me His maidservant
- Although in all these cases the focus is on the Supreme Personality of Godhead, and all of the devotees are elevated to the spiritual world, there is still a distinction between these two classes of souls (Kamsa and Sisupala, and the gopis)
- Although the gopis at Vrndavana expressed their lusty desires in relationship with a paramour (parakiya-rasa), they actually had no lusty desires
- Although the gopis were village cowherd women and girls, they had extensive Vedic knowledge. Such is the effect of Vedic civilization. People in general would learn the highest truths of the Vedas simply by hearing from authoritative sources
- Although the Lord is one in His various forms (advaitam acyutam anadim), still His form as the young enjoyer of the gopis and companion of the cowherd boys (kisora-murti) is the most perfect form
- Among the women present at Kuruksetra during the solar eclipse were Kunti, Gandhari, Draupadi, Subhadra and the queens of many other kings, as well as the gopis from Vrndavana
- Ananta Acarya was one of the eight principal gopis and his former name was Sudevi
- Another gopi said, "He is the only friend of the suffering living entities. When He plays His flute, all the cows and other animals of Vrndavana, although engaged in eating, simply take a morsel of food in their mouths and stop chewing"
- Another gopi told her friends, "Just see! The flames of the forest fire are coming to devour us. Please close your eyes and I shall immediately save you from this imminent danger"
- Another gopi told mother Yasoda, "My dear mother, when your son returns home, He decorates Himself with the buds of the kunda flower, and just to enlighten and gladden His friends, He blows His flute"
- As far as breathing heavily is concerned, it is stated, "Lalita (one of the gopis) is just like a cataki bird, which only takes water falling directly from the rain cloud and not from any other source"
- As if catching us by our hair, they forcibly take us away and deliver us unto You to become Your maidservants. Hearing of these incidents, people laugh at us. We have thus become completely subordinate to the flute
- As the dust on the lotus flower exhibits the exquisite beauty of the flower, all the gopis applied the dust of kunkuma on their lotuslike faces. These beautiful gopis took their different presentations and very soon reached the house of Maharaja Nanda
- As the gopis were very hastily passing over the stone road, the flower garlands which were decorating their bodies fell to the ground, and it appeared that a shower of flowers was falling from the sky
- Balaramaji and all the gopis became very much attracted by the taste of the Varuni, and all of them drank it together
- Because of Your joking and laughing, You are becoming responsible for the killing of women. It would be better for You to satisfy us by giving us the charity of the nectar of Your lips
- Because spiritual love of Godhead is above everything mundane, the gopis superficially seem to transgress the codes of mundane morality. This perpetually puzzles mundane moralists
- Both the demons and the gopis were spiritually liberated, but because the demons were enemies and the gopis were friends, the demons were killed and the gopis protected
- By the influence of such forgetfulness (due to spiritual loving sentiment induced by the yogamaya potency), the attractive beauty of the gopis plays a prominent part in the transcendental satisfaction of the Lord, who has nothing to do with mundane sex
- Devotional service following in the footsteps of the gopis of Vrndavana or the queens at Dvaraka is called devotional service in conjugal love
- Devotional service in conjugal love can be divided into two categories. One is indirect conjugal love, the other direct. In both of these categories, one has to follow the particular gopi who is engaged in such service in Goloka Vrndavana
- Devotional service so nice. In one life they can be benefited with that position as cowherd boy, as he likes - as friend, as gopis. That is possible
- Don't be at the present moment, very eager to serve gopi. Just try to get out of your conditional life. Then time will come when you'll be able to serve gopi
- Due to remaining in the water for a long time, they (the gopis) felt cold and were shivering, yet upon hearing the pleasing joking words of Govinda, their minds were perturbed with great joy
- Due to strong ecstasy, they (the gopis) overcame that stage of weakness (feminine shyness) and became caught up with the idea of embracing the Lord, and this thought factually made them unconscious of their surrounding environment
- Even in the Spiritual World there is some fault and envy. Sometimes the Gopis will quarrel over Krishna's favor
- Even sometimes amongst the gopis there is envy, but that enviousness is transcendental and should not be accepted in the mundane sense
- Even the goddess of fortune could not receive the same favor as the gopis, although she underwent severe austerities and penances for many years
- First Lord Balarama inquired from them (the cowherd men and boys, the gopis, and King Nanda and Yasoda) about their welfare, and then, since they had not seen Him for such a long time, they began to ask Him different questions
- For those two (Caitra & Vaishaka) months He kept Himself among the gopis & He passed every night with them in the forest of Vrndavana to satisfy their desire for conjugal love. Thus Balarama also enjoyed the rasa dance with the gopis
- Going to girls and making them pregnant, then talking of Gopis, that is going on, that is nonsense. Without coming to the perfectional stage, if anyone tries to understand the Gopis he becomes a sahajiya
- Gopi addressed the earth "I think that you must be very jubilant because the trees and plants, which are just like hairs on your body, are standing up so gloriously. May we ask when did you first get these symptoms?"
- Gopi addressed the earth, "Are you enjoying this jubilation since you were touched by the incarnation of Vamana or since you were delivered by the incarnation of Varaha?"
- Gopis lament: "When there is occasional blinking of our eyelids, we condemn the creator, Lord Brahma, as a dunce, because he does not know how to make perfect eyes"
- Gopis said, "We are all beautiful girls, and You are so foolish that You are rejecting our association. We do not know anyone, other than Yourself, who would miss this opportunity to associate with young girls in the dead of night"
- Gopis, they are not conditioned souls. They are liberated spirits
- Have you heard anything about gopis meditating?
- Having gotten their most beloved Lord, the gopis began to please Him by moving their eyebrows and smiling and also by suppressing their anger. Some of them took His lotus feet in their laps and massaged them
- He (Bhismadeva) was a military man so he was pleased to see Krishna in military spirit, as much as the Gopis wanted to see Krishna as the most beautiful lover
- He (Uddhava) had a farewell meeting with the gopis, and, taking permission from them also, he mounted his chariot to start for Mathura
- His affectionate pastimes with His parents are executed during His kaumara age. His friendship with the cowherd boys is exhibited during the pauganda period. And His friendship with the gopis is exhibited during the age of kaisora
- I worship Lord Kesava. Coming back from the forest of Vraja, He is worshiped by the gopis, who mount the roofs of their palaces and meet Him on the path with a hundred manners of dancing glances and gentle smiles
- If someone simply desires conjugal love, but does not follow in the footsteps of the gopis, he is promoted to association with the Lord at Dvaraka
- Immediately we cannot imitate serving gopis. That's a good idea that you shall serve gopi, but it will take time. Not immediately. Immediately we have to follow the rules and regulations and routine work
- In both of these categories one has to follow the particular gopi who is engaged in such service in Goloka Vrndavana
- In order to establish His authority, however, He is now engaged in seeing the gopis, whereby the gopis are becoming maddened
- In some places there were nice beddings in the bushes of the Vrndavana gardens, and in some places there were piles of dust due to the group-dancing of Govinda and the gopis
- In the Caitanya-caritamrta it is said that no one can receive the real favor of the Supreme Personality of Godhead without following in the footsteps of the gopis
- In the ears of the gopis were brilliantly polished jeweled earrings, and from their necks hung metal lockets. Their hands were decorated with bangles, their dresses were of varied colors, and from their hair, flowers fell onto the street like showers
- In the Gaura-ganoddesa-dipika (195) it is said that Srila Jiva Gosvami was formerly Vilasa-manjari gopi. From his very childhood Jiva Gosvami was greatly fond of Srimad-Bhagavatam
- In the Gaura-ganoddesa-dipika it is described that Gopinatha Acarya was formerly the gopi named Ratnavali, others say he was an incarnation of Brahma
- In the Gaura-ganoddesa-dipika it is mentioned that the gopi named Gunamala appeared as Raghava Pandita’s sister Damayanti
- In the Gaura-ganoddesa-dipika it is said that Jiva Pandita was formerly the gopi named Indira
- In the Gaura-ganoddesa-dipika it is said that Raghunatha Bhatta Gosvami was formerly the gopi named Raga-manjari
- In the Gaura-ganoddesa-dipika it is said that the gopi whose name was Katyayani appeared as Srikanta Sena
- In the Gaura-ganoddesa-dipika it is stated that Paramananda Gupta was formerly the gopi named Manjumedha
- In the Gaura-ganoddesa-dipika it is stated that Saranga Thakura was formerly a gopi named Nandimukhi
- In the Gaura-ganoddesa-dipika it is stated that Srila Raghunatha dasa Gosvami was formerly the gopi named Rasa-manjari. Sometimes it is said that he was Rati-manjari
- In the Gaura-ganoddesa-dipika it is stated that the gopi whose name was Vrndadevi became Mukunda dasa, lived in Sri Khanda village and was very dear to Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu
- In the Gaura-ganoddesa-dipika Sri Rupa Gosvami is described to be the gopi named Sri Rupa-manjari
- In the morning, the gopis prepared for morning arati by lighting their lamps and sprinkling butter mixed with yogurt. After finishing their mangala-arati, they engaged themselves in churning butter from yogurt
- In the Prahlada-samhita Uddhava says, "The Supreme Personality of Godhead, Govinda, painstricken due to being pierced by the arrows of Cupid, is always thinking of you (the gopis), and He is not even accepting His regular lunch
- In the rasa dance, the Lord showed His favor to the most fortunate gopis by placing His arms on their shoulders and dancing with each of them individually. No one can compare with the gopis, who received the causeless mercy of the Lord
- In the Tenth Canto, 21st Chapter, 13th verse of Srimad-Bhagavatam there is an appreciation by the gopis of the inertia of the cows in Vrndavana
- In the transcendental loving service of the Lord, there is no place for monistic knowledge or fruitive activities. The gopis in Vrndavana were neither highly learned scholars nor mystic yogis
- In this way, all the gopis returned to the bank of the Yamuna and assembled there
- In youth He tasted the essence of rasa, fulfilling His desires in pastimes like the rasa dance with Srimati Radhika and the other gopis
- Instead of sitting in their hearts to be appreciated in yogic meditation, He seated Himself by their sides. By seating Himself outside, He showed special favor to the gopis, who were the selected beauties of all creation
- It advertises its qualities and says to the gopis, 'O gopis, if you are so proud of being women, come forward and enjoy your property - the nectar of the lips of the Supreme Personality of Godhead'
- It does not mean that "We shall not utter even the name of gopis. We have taken vow to boycott the gopis." No. They are our worshipable devotees. How we can avoid them?
- It has been seen that a so-called devotee proclaims himself a follower of Nanda, Yasoda or the gopis, while at the same time his abominable attraction for mundane sex life is visible
- It is not possible to give a complete statement about the different types of jealous anger manifest by the gopis, but a few principles may serve as an indication
- It is said by Srinivasacarya that the six Gosvamis were always merged in thoughts of the activities of the gopis. Caitanya Mahaprabhu has also recommended the gopis' method of worshiping the Supreme Personality of Godhead as superexcellent
- It is said in the Skanda Purana that out of many thousands of gopis, 16,000 are prominent, out of those 16,000 gopis, 108 are especially prominent, out of these 108 gopis, eight gopis are still more prominent
- It is said that the gopis are divided into five groups, namely the sakhis, nitya-sakhis, prana-sakhis, priya-sakhis and parama-prestha-sakhis
- It is to be noted that the natural characteristic of the gopis is to love the Supreme Lord. Their lusty desire is not to be compared to material lust
- It is very suitable for pasturing ground for our cows, and we and our families, the gopis with their children, can very peacefully live there
- Laksmiji, the goddess of fortune, tried her best to be on an equal level with the gopis, but she was not successful
- Lalitagopi addressed Srimati Radharani, "I do not know how You could repose all Your loving propensities upon this lusty young boy from the neighborhood of the cowherds"
- Left-wing gopis
- Like thirsty cataka birds, the eyes of the gopis joyously drank the nectarean water from the cloud
- Lord Balarama and the gopis enjoyed transcendental pastimes together every night for two months, and time passed so quickly that all those nights appeared to be only one night
- Lord Balarama, of course, could understand the ecstatic feelings of the gopis, and therefore He wanted to pacify them
- Lord Caitanya is the shelter of the demigods, the goal of the Upanisads, the be-all and end-all of the great sages, the beautiful shelter of His devotees, and the essence of the love of the lotus-eyed gopis. Will He again be the object of my vision?
- Lord Caitanya thus said that the devotional service manifested by the gopis in Vrndavana excelled all other methods of approaching the Supreme Personality of Godhead
- May Gopinathaji, who attracts all the gopis with the song of His flute and who has begun the most melodious rasa dace on the bank of the Yamuna in Vamsivata, be merciful upon us
- Mood of a left-wing gopi
- Moonlight filled the sky and spread everywhere, and thus the banks of the Yamuna appeared very bright and pleasing, and Lord Balarama enjoyed the company of the gopis there
- Mother Yasoda and all the gopis, as well as Nanda and the cowherd men, were astonished as to how the cart could have collapsed by itself. All who were assembled for the holy function crowded around and began to suggest how the cart might have collapsed
- My dear girls (gopis), you have committed a great offense by going naked in the river Yamuna. Because of this, the predominating deity of the Yamuna, Varunadeva, has become displeased with you
- My dear gopis, fully consider how many pious activities this flute performed in his past life. We do not know what places of pilgrimage he visited, what austerities he performed, or what perfect mantra he chanted
- My dear gopis, I accept your desire to have Me as your husband and thus worship Me. I wish your desire to be fulfilled because it deserves to be so
- My Guru Maharaja claimed to be one of the sub-devotee assistants of the eight Gopis
- My mind's five disciples, the senses of perception, gather the remnants of that nectar from the gopis and bring them to the yogi of My mind. The senses maintain their lives by eating those remnants
- Naturally, when they (the gopis) heard such unkind words, they tried to reply, but in the attempt torrents of tears fell from their eyes. Finally they managed to speak
- Not daring to place the dust of the gopis' feet on his own head in this life, Uddhava aspired to have a future birth in Vrndavana in the position of a clump of grass or herbs. He would then be able to have the dust of the gopis' feet
- O Lord, remover of the afflictions of the inhabitants of Vrndavana! O hero of all women! O Lord who destroy the pride of Your devotees by Your sweet, gentle smile! O friend! We are Your maidservants
- O My dear friend, what severe austerities have the gopis performed to drink His transcendental beauty and sweetness through their eyes in complete fulfillment? Thus they glorify their births, bodies and minds
- O My Lord, O My husband, O most dearly beloved! O mighty-armed Lord! Where are You? Where are You? O My friend, reveal Yourself to Your maidservant, who is very much aggrieved by Your absence
- Of all the gopis, Radharani is the dearmost. Similarly, the lake known as Radha-kunda is very dear to the Lord because it is very dear to Srimati Radharani
- Of these two gopis (Radharani and Candravali), Srimati Radharani is superior in all respects. She is the embodiment of mahabhava, and She surpasses all in good qualities
- On the whole, I do not possess anything. Still, O beloved of the gopis, because You bestow Your mercy on the most fallen, I have an unbreakable hope that is constantly in my heart. That hope is always giving me pain
- One after another they (gopis) came out of the water, but because they were completely naked, they tried to cover their nakedness by placing their left hand over their pubic area. In that posture they were all shivering
- One can realize all three transcendental features of the Absolute Truth (Bhagavan; Paramatma; and Brahman) simply by studying the condition of the gopis in their meeting with Uddhava, as described in Srimad-Bhagavatam
- One description was given by a gopi to her friend: "My dear friend, just see how the enemy of Agha has assumed such wonderful features!"
- One gopi forcibly put her feet on the head of another gopi and said, "You rascal Kaliya! I shall punish you severely. You must leave this place. I have descended to this earth to punish all kinds of miscreants"
- One gopi said, "Wives of the demigods who are seated in the planes then become very much ashamed of their singing and musical qualifications. Not only that, but they become afflicted with conjugal love, & their hair & tight clothes immediately loosen"
- One gopi told mother Yasoda, "My dear mother, your son is very expert among the cowherd boys. He knows all the different arts of how to tend the cows & how to play the flute. He composes His own songs, & to play them He puts His flute to His mouth"
- One of the gopis raised her hand with her covering garments and said, "Now don't be afraid of the torrents of rain and severe hurricanes. I'll save you!" In this way she imitated the lifting of Govardhana Hill
- Only in the conjugal mellow are there two ecstatic symptoms called rudha (advanced) and adhirudha (highly advanced). The advanced ecstasies are found among the queens of Dvaraka, and the highly advanced ecstasies are found among the gopis
- Our minds, therefore, are filled with anxiety that Your tender feet might be wounded by pebbles as You roam about on the forest path
- Out of shyness, they (the gopis) looked at one another, but they could not come out of the water because they were naked
- She (Radharani) has a stringed instrument known as a kacchapi-vina, which is the fame and fortune that actually dries up the faces and breasts of the other gopis
- Similarly, after seeing Lord Jagannatha, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu awoke with the ecstasy of the gopis. Being absorbed in this ecstasy, He asked Svarupa Damodara to sing the refrain
- Since the bodies of the damsels in the upper planetary systems are so beautiful, we can just imagine how beautifully formed are the bodies of the Vaikuntha damsels or the damsels in Vrndavana, the gopis
- Since the perfection of such austerity was completely manifested in the lives of the gopis, Uddhava was fully satisfied upon seeing their transcendental position
- Since they have no material conception of life, why should they aspire for liberation? The gopis do not want that liberation desired by yogis and jnanis, for they are already liberated from the ocean of material existence
- Social customs, scriptural injunctions, bodily demands, fruitive action, shyness, patience, bodily pleasures, self-gratification and the path of varnasrama-dharma, which is difficult to give up - the gopis have forsaken all these
- Some (of the gopis) were engaged in serving their husbands, and some were themselves engaged in eating, but caring neither to serve their husbands nor eat, they immediately left
- Some gopis undid their hair and kept it in front of them as dresses to cover the lower portions of their bodies and used their hands as bodices to cover their breasts
- Some of the gopis then addressed their gopi friends: "Dear friends, why don’t you question these creepers, who are so jubilantly embracing the big trees as if the trees were their husbands?"
- Sometimes the gopis would think about His soft nails, moving eyebrows and His teeth, which were catechu colored from chewing pan
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu said, "Please tell me of the varieties of egoistic pride manifested in Vrndavana." Svarupa Damodara replied, "The pride of the gopis is like a river flowing with hundreds of tributaries"
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu spoke like a madman, holding Ramananda Raya by the neck, and He questioned Svarupa Damodara, thinking him to be His gopi friend
- Srila Gadadhara dasa was always fully absorbed in ecstasy as a gopi. In his house Lord Nityananda enacted the drama Dana-keli
- Srila Ramananda Raya used to act in that way because he thought of himself in his original position as a maidservant of the gopis
- Srila Rupa Gosvami has written a very nice verse wherein one gopi advises another, "My dear friend, if you desire to enjoy the company of material society, friendship and love, then please do not go to see this smiling boy Govinda"
- Srivasa Thakura continued to address Svarupa Damodara, "Your gopis are engaged in boiling milk and churning yogurt, but my mistress, the goddess of fortune, sits on a throne made of jewels and gems"
- Such a manifestation of divine love is mere imitation and has no value. When one is actually spontaneously attracted to the loving principles of the gopis, there will be found no trace of any mundane contamination in his character
- Sukadeva Gosvami states, "My dear King (Pariksit), the gopis were always beautiful and decorated with confidential smiles and alluring garments"
- Sukadeva Gosvami tells King Pariksit, "My dear King, as soon as the elderly gopis saw their sons coming, there was an inexpressible sign of parental love, and all of them became absorbed in affection"
- Svarupa Damodara said, "Timidity, jubilation, ambition, respect, fear and the characteristics of the left-wing gopis are all ecstatic symptoms that combine to agitate Srimati Radharani"
- That is also illusory because there is no such separation. The gopis were not situated in that illusory condition of life, so even from the philosophical point of view, for them there was no separation
- The affection of all the elderly gopis in Vrndavana is a mixture of parental love, servitude and fraternity. The affection of the sons of Madri - Nakula and Sahadeva - as well as the affection of the sage Narada, is a mixture of friendship and servitude
- The anklets on the damsels of Vraja-bhumi are made of cintamani stone. The trees are wish-fulfilling trees, and they produce flowers with which the gopis decorate themselves
- The best place within the universe is Vrndavana, and the most beautiful girls are the gopis
- The calves, being disturbed, would immediately begin running here and there, and the children would be dragged over clay and cow dung. To see this fun, Yasoda and Rohini would call all their neighborhood friends, the gopis
- The chief devotees in conjugal love are the gopis in Vrndavana, the queens in Dvaraka and the goddesses of fortune in Vaikuntha. These devotees are innumerable
- The conclusion is that one who has attained the gopis' condition of life does not have to take birth as Lord Brahma or be born in a brahmana family or be initiated as a brahmana
- The corners of His eyes wander, like large black bees, around the gopis’ breasts
- The cows, the trees, the cowherd men and Gopis, their chief engagement was loving Krishna, and in New Vrindaban we want to create this atmosphere and thereby show the whole world how practical and sublime our movement is
- The elder gopis said, "Sometimes They steal butter, yogurt & milk & distribute them to the monkeys. When the monkeys are well fed & do not take any more, then your boys chide," 'This milk & butter and yogurt are useless - even the monkeys won't take it'
- The elder gopis' affection for the boys causelessly increased
- The elderly gopi continued, "Now, even before you have left, the life air of all the gopis has practically disappeared"
- The energies (consorts) of the Supreme Lord are of three kinds: the Laksmis in Vaikuntha, the queens in Dvaraka and the gopis in Vrndavana
- The exuberance of transcendental mellows is increased by the association of a large number of personalities similar to Radharani, who are also known as gopis or sakhis
- The fate lines on the palm are also considered to be auspicious bodily symptoms. In this connection, one old gopi informed King Nanda
- The first business of the gopis is to chant the glories of both the hero and the heroine. Their second business is to gradually create a situation in which the hero may be attracted to the heroine and vice versa
- The first month of Hemanta is Agrahayana (October-November), and at that time all the unmarried gopis of Vrndavana began to worship goddess Durga with a vow
- The Gaura-ganoddesa-dipika describes Gangamantri as the gopi named Candrika
- The Gaura-ganoddesa-dipika describes Kavi Datta as the gopi named Kalakanthi
- The Gaura-ganoddesa-dipika describes Nayana Misra as the gopi named Nitya-manjari
- The Gaura-ganoddesa-dipika describes Sridhara Brahmacari as the gopi known as Candralatika
- The Gaura-ganoddesa-dipika mentions Jitamitra as the gopi named Syama-manjari
- The Gaura-ganoddesa-dipika mentions that Hari Acarya was formerly the gopi named Kalaksi
- The Gaura-ganoddesa-dipika states that Ramananda Raya was formerly Arjuna. He is also considered to have been an incarnation of the gopi Lalita, although in the opinion of others he was an incarnation of Visakhadevi
- The Gaura-ganoddesa-dipika states that two of the gopis of Vrndavana, whose former names were Vira and Duti, combined to become Sivananda Sena
- The gopis and inhabitants of Vrndavana used to see the luster of lotus flowers everywhere, and they could hardly withdraw their eyes from such a vision
- The gopis are in the perfectional stage of meditation. Yogis are generally more fond of meditating than of executing devotional service to the Lord, but they do not know that the perfection of the yoga system is the attainment of devotion
- The gopis are not like the mystic yogis. They will never be satisfied simply by meditating on Your lotus feet and imitating the so-called yogis. Teaching the gopis about meditation is another kind of duplicity
- The gopis at Vrndavana could not forget the Lord when the Lord was away in the forest cow herding
- The gopis attained the highest goal, and Lord Caitanya affirmed that there is no method of worshiping God higher than that followed by the gopis
- The gopis became completely relieved of the great suffering of separation, not only by hearing the words of the Supreme Personality of Godhead but also by touching His hands and legs. After this, the Supreme Personality of Godhead began His rasa dance
- The gopis by their lusty desires, Kamsa by fear, Sisupala by envy, the Yadus by their familial relationship with Krsna, you Pandavas by your great affection for Krsna, and we the general devotees, by devotional service, have obtained the mercy of Krsna
- The gopis came upon many trees so laden with fruits and flowers that their branches were bent down to the ground
- The gopis considered, 'The flute is completely unfit for his position. We want to know what kind of austerities the flute executed, so that we may also perform the same austerities'
- The gopis continued, "A person attached to the wives of others is interested in them as long as there is a need of sense gratification, just as bumblebees have interest in flowers as long as they want to take the honey out of them"
- The gopis continued, "Have you seen Madhava passing this way? O mango trees, O trees of jackfruit, O pear trees and asana trees"
- The gopis continued, "In the congenial atmosphere of that wonderful land, You may enjoy Your pastimes, with Your flute dancing on Your lips, and surrounded by us, the gopis, whose hearts are always enchanted by unpredictable ecstatic emotions"
- The gopis continued, "Just after eating in the house of a host, the guest gives up his relationship with him. After a forest fire, when there is a scarcity of green grass, deer and other animals give up the forest"
- The gopis continued, "We (gopis) can understand that family affection is very strong. Even great sages who have taken to the renounced order of life cannot give up family affection cent percent. Sometimes they think of their family members"
- The gopis cursed the creator for creating eyelids that interfered with their vision
- The gopis have fallen into the great ocean of separation and are being devoured by the timingila fish of their ambition to serve You. The gopis are to be delivered from the mouths of these timingila fish, for they are pure devotees
- The gopis have no inclination for their own enjoyment, and yet their joy increases. That is indeed a contradiction
- The gopis on the bank of the Yamuna watched with great amusement
- The gopis prayed, "The conditioned soul fallen in the dark well of this material existence can very easily take shelter of Your lotus feet. Thus his deliverance is guaranteed"
- The gopis reminded Hamsaduta that sometimes even the great sage Narada becomes very ecstatic by seeing these footprints, and sometimes great liberated sages also aspire to see them
- The gopis said, "Although the father and mother are expected to protect the children, there are many children who are suffering for want of food and shelter. There are many good physicians, but when a patient dies, no physician can revive him"
- The gopis said, "As the lotus flower, although very delicate and soft, enjoys the scorching heat of the sun”
- The gopis said, "Even the demigods are very unkind to us; they are also not impeding His going to Mathura"
- The gopis said, "If out of fear of these naughty boys we keep our stock of butter & yogurt high on the ceiling, hanging on a swing, although it is beyond Their reach They arrange to reach it by piling all kinds of wooden planks over the grinding machine"
- The gopis said, "Instead of engaging our hearts in family affairs as women, we have now developed a different type of lust which is continually blazing in our hearts"
- The gopis said, "Not only men and women but also cows, birds, beasts and even trees, fruits and flowers - everyone and everything - become enchanted, and what to speak of ourselves?"
- The gopis said, "O Providence, you are so cruel! It appears that you do not know how to show mercy to others. By your arrangement, friends contact one another, but without fulfilling their desires you separate them"
- The gopis said, "One class simply receives, another class reciprocates favorably, even if the lover is very contrary, and the third class neither acts contrary nor answers favorably in dealings of love"
- The gopis said, "Our husbands, friends, family members and children are all dear and pleasing to us only because of Your presence, for You are the Supersoul of all living creatures. Without Your presence, one is worthless"
- The gopis said, "The so-called husband, friend, son, daughter, father and mother are all simply sources of material misery. No one is made happy in this material world by having a so-called father, mother, husband, son, daughter and friend"
- The gopis said, "There are many means of protection, but when one is doomed, none of the protective measures can help, and without Your protection the so-called sources of protection simply become sources of continued distress"
- The gopis said, "We do not know what kind of boys these are, but even without ornaments They spread some kind of effulgence so that even in darkness They can see everything"
- The gopis said, "When you were submerged in water, He (Varaha) delivered you, taking the whole weight of your existence on His tusks"
- The gopis said, "Your instructions to women to be faithful to their husbands and merciful to their children, to take care of household affairs and to be obedient to the elder members of the family, are surely just according to the tenets of the sastras"
- The gopis said, 'O cuta tree, priyala tree, panasa, asana and kovidara! O jambu tree, O arka tree, O bel, bakula and mango! O kadamba tree, O nipa tree and all other trees living on the bank of the Yamuna for the welfare of others'
- The gopis said: O friends, those eyes that see the beautiful faces of the sons of Maharaja Nanda are certainly fortunate. As these two sons enter the forest, surrounded by Their friends, driving the cows before Them
- The gopis spoke thus, "Dear Lord, whose navel is just like a lotus flower, Your lotus feet are the only shelter for those who have fallen into the deep well of material existence"
- The gopis then came upon many trees so laden with fruits and flowers that their branches were bent down to the ground
- The gopis wanted nothing at all but to gratify the senses of the Lord, and there is no instance of this in the material world
- The gopis were advised by their superiors to bolt the doors at night, but they were so carefree that they did not carry out this order very rigidly
- The gopis were blessed with all mercy by the Supreme Personality of Godhead, for they enjoyed His company without a tinge of mundane sex life
- The gopis were not born in very high brahmana or ksatriya families; they were born in the families of vaisyas, and not in big mercantile communities but in the families of cowherd men
- The gopis were very anxious to know about Uddhava, and because they were simple, unsophisticated village girls, they surrounded him
- The gopis who were gathered there had almost all been followers of the Vedas. In their previous births, during Lord Ramacandra’s advent, they had been Vedic scholars who desired the association of Lord Ramacandra in conjugal love
- The hands of the gopis, which resembled red lotus flowers, arose from the water in pairs to obstruct the bluish flowers
- The inhabitants of Vrndavana - the gopis, mother Yasoda, Nanda Maharaja, the cowherd boys, the cows and everyone else - are actually on the raga-marga or bhagavata-marga platform
- The instruction given herein by the Supreme Personality of Godhead to the gopis was not at all sarcastic. Such instructions should be taken very seriously by all honest women
- The left wing and right wing of the gopis has been explained by Rupa Gosvami in his Ujjvala-nilamani
- The Lord is satisfied more when His pure devotees are glorified, and therefore Bhismadeva has not only glorified the acts of Arjuna, his immediate object of attraction, but has also remembered the gopis
- The lotus stems were friends of the gopis and therefore helped them by offering them lotus leaves. The lotuses pushed their large, round leaves over the surface of the water with their hands, the waves of the Yamuna, to cover the gopis' bodies
- The love of the gopis is called rudha-bhava. It is pure and spotless. It is not at any time lust
- The natural love of the gopis is devoid of any trace of lust. It is faultless, bright and pure, like molten gold
- The nectar of Your lips and the vibration of Your flute join together to loosen our belts and induce us to give up shame and religion, even before our superiors
- The personified Vedas continued, "Women like the gopis concentrate upon You (the Supreme lord) under the dictation of lust, and we concentrate upon Your lotus feet to go back home, back to Godhead"
- The personified Vedas, "And, as far as we are concerned, being different demigods in charge of the different parts of Vedic knowledge, we are always following in the footsteps of the gopis. Thus we hope to attain the same perfection"
- The same gopi said, "As for the calves, they are seen with the nipples of their mothers pressed in their mouths, but they cannot suck the milk"
- The same gopi said, "It sounds to them like the pouring of nectar, and they immediately spread their long ears just to catch the liquid nectar of the flute"
- The same gopi said, "The best presentation offered by Govardhana Hill, however, is newly grown grass for the cows and calves"
- The same gopi said, "This smiling boy Govinda is standing on the bank of the Yamuna and playing His flute, His lips brightened by the beams of the full moonlight"
- The same gopi said, "Thus Govardhana is always in touch with the lotus feet of the Lord"
- The same gopi spoke, "We think that this boon (listening to Govinda's flute) is not possible or available on any other planet"
- The same gopi spoke, "When all the animals and trees and plants, either on the top of Govardhana Hill or in the valley, see the dancing of the peacocks, they all stand still and listen to the transcendental sound of the flute with great attention"
- The selfless love of Godhead exhibited by the gopis cannot have any parallel. We should not, therefore, misunderstand the carefulness of the gopis in their personal decoration
- The specific words used in Srimad-Bhagavatam are yogamayam upasritah, which mean that this dancing with the gopis is on the platform of yogamaya, not mahamaya
- The standing up of hair on the body resulting from jubilation is described in the Tenth Canto, 30th Chapter, 9th verse of Srimad-Bhagavatam in connection with the gopis engaged in the rasa dance
- The supreme benediction attained by the gopis in spite of their being born in the families of cowherd men was never attained even by the goddess of fortune herself, and certainly not by the denizens of heaven
- The Supreme Personality of Godhead, surrounded by hundreds of gopis and decorated with a flower garland of many colors, began to wander within the Vrndavana forest, sometimes singing to Himself and sometimes singing with the gopis
- The unmarried gopis used to prepare the deity of goddess Durga and worship it with candana pulp, garlands, incense, lamps and all kinds of presentations - fruits, grain and twigs of plants
- The vibration of Your flute, accompanied by Your glance, which pierces us forcibly with the arrows of lust, induces us to ignore the regulative principles of religious life
- The vivid example is always present in the behavior of the gopis; therefore Lord Caitanya declared that no one can worship the Supreme Lord by any method which is better than the method of the gopis
- The word 'sama-drsah,' mentioned in the fourth line of the previous verse, means 'following the mood of the gopis.' The word 'samah' means 'the srutis' attainment of bodies like those of the gopis
- Their (the gopis) attraction to the vibration of the flute increased a thousand times due to the rising full moon, the red horizon, the calm and cool atmosphere and the blossoming flowers
- Their (the gopis) faces were decorated hurriedly and were haphazardly finished; some even put the lower part of their clothes on the upper part of their bodies and the upper part on the lower part
- There is another natural symptom of the gopis' love that shows it to be without a trace of lust
- There is another wonderful feature of the emotion of the gopis. Its power is beyond the comprehension of the intelligence
- There may be some difficulty in understanding that both the gopis and Kamsa achieved the same goal, so this point should be clearly understood, because the attitudes of Kamsa and Sisupala were different from that of the gopis
- There was fighting amongst the gopis also, so we cannot expect there will be some utopia without fighting, there is even in the spiritual sky transcendental greed, lust, envy, like that. But that is transcendental
- There was talk among the friends of Radharani, the gopis, about these most intimate friends
- There were various types of big trees and small plants in the forest, and the gopis addressed them: "Dear banyan tree, have you seen the son of Maharaja Nanda passing this way, laughing and playing on His flute?"
- These symptoms signify that although the gopis' business was not finished, they had become stunned with ecstatic love
- They (Gopis) all remembered the characteristics of the Personality of Godhead, how He moved within the area of Vrndavana and how, with joking words, He attracted all their hearts
- They (Gopis) approached Mother Yasoda, stating that they could not find the son of Nanda. He had been taken away by a whirlwind. This is an instance of lamentation in ecstatic love
- They (gopis) first ate havisyanna, a kind of food prepared by boiling together mung dal and rice without any spices or turmeric. According to Vedic injunction, this kind of food is recommended to purify the body before one enacts a ritualistic ceremony
- They (the gopis) began to follow the footprints, & shortly they saw another set of footprints beside them, and immediately they became very sorry. "Dear friends, just see! Whose are these other footprints?"
- They (the gopis) did not consider whether they were passing over the road or through the jungles. Imperceptibly, the dust of their feet was bestowed on small grasses and herbs of Vrndavana
- They (the gopis) watched the flag on the chariot as long as it was visible; finally they could see only the dust of the chariot in the distance. The gopis did not move from their places but stood until the chariot could not be seen at all
- They (the gopis) were householder wives, young girls having children to feed, carrying out the order of superiors; father-in-law, mother-in-law, sister-in-law, satisfying the whims of the husband, executing so many household duties from morning to night
- They (the gopis) were shedding heavy tears, and their cosmetic decorations were being washed from their faces. The water from their eyes mixed with the kunkuma on their breasts and fell to the ground
- They hold Their flutes to Their mouths and glance lovingly upon the residents of Vrndavana. For those who have eyes, we think there is no greater object of vision
- They said, 'O dear lover, please answer just one question. Who among all the youthful women within this universe is not attracted by the sound of Your flute'
- This attitude of the gopis is described by Caitanya Mahaprabhu when He prays, "Whatever You like, You can do, because You have complete freedom to act. But in spite of all Your dealings, You are My Lord eternally, and I have no other worshipable object"
- This text from Srimad-Bhagavatam was sung by the gopis on the advent of the sarat season
- Thus the gopis began to inquire from all kinds of trees and plants about the Supreme Personality of Godhead. This is an instance of ecstatic madness on the part of devotees
- Thus they (the gopis) talked among themselves. They were very anxious to know about him (Uddhava), and because they were simple, unsophisticated village girls, they surrounded Uddhava
- Thus we become excited by lusty desires and come to You, giving up all shame and fear. But now You are angry with us
- To have his (Uddhava's) head smeared with the dust of the gopis' feet without their knowledge, he desired to become only an insignificant clump of grass or herbs in the land of Vrndavana
- To keep the gopis in Vrndavana satisfied, Lord Balarama stayed there continuously for two months, namely the months of Caitra (March–April) and Vaisakha (April–May)
- Uddhava appreciated the exalted position of the gopis and wished to fall down and take the dust of their feet on his head. Yet he dared not ask the gopis to offer the dust from their feet; perhaps they would not be agreeable
- Uddhava continued, "I wish to take birth as one of the plants or creepers in Vrndavana, who are so fortunate that the gopis trample them"
- Uddhava desired to become a creeper, a blade of grass or an herb in Vrndavana so that sometimes the gopis would trample him and he would receive the dust of their lotus feet on his head
- Uddhava's messages & instructions saved the gopis from immediate death, & the gopis acknowledged the benediction from Uddhava. He practically acted as the preceptor spiritual master of the gopis, & in return they worshiped him
- Upon displaying this submissive attitude, the Yamuna was forgiven & when she came nearby, Lord Balarama enjoyed the pleasure of swimming in her waters along with the gopis in the same way that an elephant enjoys himself along with his many she-elephants
- Upon hearing the anxious plea of the gopis, the Supreme Personality of Godhead smiled, and being very kind to the gopis, the Lord, although self-sufficient, began to embrace them and kiss them as they desired
- Upon hearing this verse, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, overwhelmed with the ecstasy of the gopis, began to explain it
- We (the gopis) therefore put a question to You, and since You are very learned, You can answer it properly. In dealings between lovers, we find that there are three classes of men
- We consider the creator, who has put eyelids on the eyes we use for seeing You, to be simply a fool
- We fear that this is paining You. Since You are our life and soul, our minds are very much disturbed when Your lotus feet are pained
- We know that this is all a well-planned trick. You know how to make jokes that cause the complete annihilation of women, but we can understand that Your real mind, words and behavior are different. Therefore please give up all these clever tricks
- We Upanisads can also taste the nectar of His lotus feet by following in the footsteps of the gopis
- What can we do but tolerate it? The mother of a thief cannot cry loudly for justice when the thief is punished. Therefore we simply remain silent
- When Lord Balarama returned to Vrndavana, all the cowherd boys and the gopis had grown up; but still, on His arrival, they all embraced Him, and Balarama embraced them in reciprocation
- When the cowherd men saw the pastimes of the cowherd women, they became very joyful, and in response they also began to throw yogurt, milk, clarified butter and water upon the bodies of the gopis. Then both parties began to throw butter on each other
- When there are ample blooming flowers in the gardens in the forest, the fresh, aromatic breeze gives a great relief to the person who has suffered during the summer and rainy seasons. Unfortunately, such breezes could not give any relief to the gopis
- When they are instructed to undergo mystic yoga practice, they are not at all satisfied. On the contrary, they become more and more angry with You
- When Vrsasura appeared in Vrndavana as a bull, all of the gopis became greatly affected with fear. Being perturbed in that way, they began to embrace the tamala trees
- While all the gopis were hurriedly leaving their respective places, their husbands, brothers and fathers were all struck with wonder to know where they were going
- While Balarama was in that happy mood, He desired to enjoy the company of the gopis in the water of the Yamuna
- While drinking this natural beverage (Varuni), all the gopis chanted the glories of Lord Balarama, and Lord Balarama felt very happy, as if He had become intoxicated by drinking that Varuni beverage
- While going to the house of Maharaja Nanda, the gopis, their earrings, breasts and garlands moving, were brilliantly beautiful
- While the gopis were thus engaged, the lamps reflected on their ornaments made the ornaments still brighter
- While they (the gopis) were talking in this way, Uddhava finished his morning ablutions, prayers and chanting and came before them
- Yes, Rupa Goswami is a Gopi by the name of Rupamanjari, but not all the six Goswamis of Vrndavana are Gopis
- You should dress yourself always very nicely so that Krishna by seeing you will be pleased. Don't try to be ugly before Krishna. Krishna does not like ugly gopis
- Your lips increase the greed of the tongue and thus attract it. Considering all this, We see that the activities of Your transcendental lips are always paradoxical