Collaborate with us to invoke and fully manifest Srila Prabhupada's Vani-presence.
royal | royalty
This category has the following 8 subcategories, out of 8 total.
Pages in category "Royal"
The following 160 pages are in this category, out of 160 total.
- A king is always protected by seven elements - his instructor (svami or guru), his ministers, his kingdom, his fort, his treasury, his royal order and his friends
- A royal procession like that of Maharaja Pariksit surrounded by well-decorated chariots, cavalry, elephants, infantry and band not only is pleasing to the eyes, but also is a sign of a civilization that is aesthetic even on the fighting front
- Actually, in India, the temples are just like royal palaces. They are not ordinary buildings because the worship of Krsna should be performed in just the way that a king is worshiped in his palace
- After entering the Sudharma assembly house, He used to sit on the exalted royal throne and would be seen to emanate glaring rays of transcendental effulgence
- After King Prthu gave his royal command, the planet earth in the shape of a cow could understand that the King was a directly empowered incarnation of the Supreme Personality of Godhead
- After losing each of his sons, the brahmana would come to the gate of the palace and accuse the King of not being able to give the brahmanas protection and of thus being unfit to sit on the royal throne
- After many days, when Brahma wanted to recall him to his heavenly kingdom, Indra, in the form of a hog, forgot everything of his royal position in the heavenly kingdom, and he refused to go back
- After taking their baths and dressing very nicely, the kings appeared happy and gentle. Then they were supplied nice food. Lord Krsna supplied everything for their comfort, as befitting their royal positions
- After the end of the battle, Krpacarya again became a member of the royal assembly, and he was called during the birth of Maharaja Pariksit for recitation of auspicious Vedic hymns to make the ceremony successful
- Akrura continued, "Let me offer my respectful obeisances unto You (Krsna), who appear as Kalki to chastise the so-called royal order degraded to the abominable condition of the mlecchas, who are below the jurisdiction of Vedic regulative principles"
- Akrura continued, "My dear Lord Krsna, this time You have appeared in the home of Vasudeva as His son, with Your plenary expansion, Sri Balarama. Your mission is to kill all the atheistic royal families and destroy their huge military strength"
- Alas, how strange it is that we (Arjuna and the Pandavas) are preparing to commit greatly sinful acts. Driven by the desire to enjoy royal happiness, we are intent on killing our own kinsmen
- Although Krsna was invincible to any enemy, the cowherd boys of Vrndavana became almost blackish with astonishment upon seeing His wonderful royal garments and His fighting feats on the Battlefield of Kuruksetra
- Although they were in royal order, they were very saintly persons. There are many examples, just like Maharaja Yudhisthira, Maharaja Pariksit. They were emperor of the world, but still, so pious, so religious, and so advanced in transcendent knowledge
- An irresponsible king takes the royal position to be his personal property and misuses his treasury for sense gratification
- As a great fighting hero, Jarasandha was ashamed, and he decided that he would no longer live as a king but would resign from his position in the royal order and go to the forest to practice meditation under severe austerities and penances
- As he (Jarasandha) was returning home with his royal friends, however, they advised him not to retire but to regain strength to fight again with Krsna in the near future
- As Rukmini proceeded toward the temple, she was silent and grave. Her mother and her girlfriends were by her side, and the wife of a brahmana was in the center; surrounding her were royal bodyguards
- As soon as there was enemy attack in the Dvaraka city, immediately the kings, royal family, Krsna's family, Pradyumna, His son, and others, immediately go out of the city and combat with the enemies
- As the moon, in its waxing fortnight, develops day after day, so the royal prince (Pariksit) very soon developed luxuriantly under the care and full facilities of his guardian grandfathers
- At the Rajasuya-yajna (sacrifice) performed by Maharaja Yudhisthira, there was the greatest assembly of all the elite men of the world, the royal and learned orders
- At the time of Draupadi's precarious position, when she was attacked by the Kurus who wanted to see her naked in the open assembly of the royal order, the Lord saved her from being stripped by supplying an unlimited length of sari to cover her
- Balarama said, "Does this mean that even Lord Krsna, the Lord of the whole creation and the husband of the goddess of fortune, cannot use this royal paraphernalia? The dust of Krsna's lotus feet is worshiped by all the great demigods"
- Balarama said, "Great demigods like Lord Brahma, Siva and even the goddess of fortune and I are simply plenary parts of His spiritual identity, and still you (Kurus) think that He is not fit to use the royal insignia or even sit on the royal throne"
- Balarama said, "You (Kurus) have thought it wise that the royal insignias like the whisk, fan, white umbrella, royal throne and other princely paraphernalia not be used by the Yadu dynasty"
- Because of their royal exalted posts, all these demons became very much puffed up, and their only business was to harass their subjects. Lord Krsna appeared on this planet just at the end of Dvapara-yuga to annihilate all these demoniac kings
- Because the brahmana was not very well-to-do financially, he decided that he would simply meditate on grand, royal devotional activities, and he began this business thusly
- Before the advent of Lord Krsna within this universe, there were many battles between the demons and the demigods. Many demons died in the fighting, and they all were given the chance to take birth in high royal families on this earth
- Being puffed up due to their position, the royal dynasties generally offend the brahmanas and self-realized persons
- Brahmanas and Vaisnavas are more powerful than royalty. It is therefore advised that the princely order not exhibit its material prowess before these two communities and should avoid offending them
- By dint of all these spiritual assets, Vaisnavas are more powerful than royalty
- By intimate association with the king, the dasis would get sons. Such sons were called dasi-putras. They had no claim to a royal position, but they would get maintenance and other facilities just like princes
- Dhaumya: A great sage who practiced severe penances at Utkocaka Tirtha and was appointed royal priest of the Pandava kings. He acted as the priest in many religious functions of the Pandavas
- Divorce by disagreement took place among low-class men, but marriage by agreement was found even in the very highest classes, especially in the royal ksatriya families
- Driven by the desire to enjoy royal happiness
- During the assembly for selecting her husband, Krsna was present, and He forcibly carried away Mitravinda in the presence of all the other royal princes
- During the rainy season, the mercantile community cannot move from one place to another and so do not get their desired profit. Nor can the royal order go from one place to another to collect taxes from the people
- Evam parampara-praptam - who? Rajarsayoh. They are king, but just like saintly persons. That is king, not a loafer class is elevated to the royal post. Rajarsayoh. Although they're holding the post of a king for administration, they're just like rsi
- Even there is required violence, a brahmana will not kill personally. He will bring the matter to the ksatriya, royal order
- Following Sarvabhauma Bhattacarya's instructions, the King had given up his royal dress. He now entered the garden in the dress of a Vaisnava
- Foolish people adore such men who die in national consciousness, but here is an example of Maharaja Yudhisthira, a royal king who prepared himself to leave this world without such national consciousness. And yet he is remembered even today
- For the royal order to become nonviolent, this is not good. The ksatriyas, when they are fighting in the battlefield, the killing is not a sin for them
- Formerly, ksatriyas would, at their pleasure, kidnap a princess from another royal house, and there would he a fight between the ksatriya and the girl's family; then, if the kidnapper was the winner, the girl would be offered to him for marriage
- He (King Bahulasva) offered the guests (Krsna, Narada and others) nice flower garlands, sandalwood pulp, incense, new garments, ornaments, lamps, cows and bulls. In a manner just befitting his royal position, he worshiped each one of them in this way
- He (Maharaja Yudhisthira) thought himself ungrateful because when the Pandavas were fatherless, Maharaja Dhrtarastra had given them all royal facilities to live, and in return he had killed all Dhrtarastra's sons in the Battle of Kuruksetra
- He possessed all the opulences of a royal position, but he gave up everything just to accept the youthful goddess of renunciation
- Herein we find the history of the Bhagavad-gita traced from a remote time when it was delivered to the royal order of all planets, beginning from the sun planet. The kings of all planets are especially meant for the protection of the inhabitants
- I (Krsna) wish to protect the inhabitants of Vrndavana from the attacks of My enemies. That is why I remain in My kingdom; otherwise I am indifferent to My royal position.
- If a person with no qualifications represents himself as a ksatriya of the royal order, he is not called a ksatriya but a ksatra-bandhu
- If he abandoned the battle, not only would he neglect his specific duty as a ksatriya, but he would lose all his fame and good name and thus prepare his royal road to hell. In other words, he would go to hell not by fighting but by withdrawing from battle
- If living beings do not get protection by the ksatriya, or the royal order, or by the state, it is certainly shameful for the ksatriya or the state
- If one gets the opportunity to take birth in a very rich or royal family, even then he is always anxious to maintain the status quo and prepare for the next life by performing various sacrifices and distributing charity
- If the kingly administrative order, being unrestricted in sense control, offends the brahmana order and enrages them, then the fire of that rage burns up the whole body of the royal family and brings grief upon all
- In order to observe the great ceremony, many wives of the demigods had come in different airplanes & they were visible in the sky. Similarly, the queens of the royal family, gorgeously decorated & surrounded by bodyguards, arrived on different palanquins
- In royal style, the bridegroom goes to the house of the bride, and in the presence of brahmanas, priests and relatives, the bride is given in charity to the bridegroom. Besides this, there are other systems, such as the gandharva and raksasa marriages
- In that role He (Krsna) performed many sacrifices just to teach the royal order how to live in the material world for the welfare of humanity
- In the association of such a sadhu as Jada Bharata, Maharaja Rahugana came to the awareness that his activities as a royal authority were simply illusory phenomena
- In the Kali-yuga the population is just a royal edition of the animals. They have nothing to do with spiritual knowledge or godly religious life
- In the line of royal succession in the family of Maharaja Yudhisthira, all the kings, without exception, were the wisest men of their times, and so also it is foretold about Maharaja Pariksit and his son Maharaja Janamejaya, who was yet to be born
- It appears that although there was monarchy, it was not at all an autocracy. There were senior family members and ministers who could make changes and elect the proper person to the throne, although the throne could be occupied only by the royal family
- Kausika: One of the permanent rsi members in the royal assembly of Maharaja Yudhisthira. He sometimes met Lord Krsna. There are several other sages of the same name
- King Priyavrata enjoyed royal opulence and majesty and then returned to full knowledge. King Priyavrata was detached from worldly opulence, and then he became attached to his kingdom, but finally he again became detached from material enjoyment
- King Vena was not practiced in yoga, but he became very proud of his royal position nonetheless. Because he was not very considerate, he began to misuse his power and insult great personalities
- Krsna addressed Rukmini, "Although not all of them (the great personalities in the royal order) were kings, all possessed the opulence and riches of the kingly order"
- Krsna continued, "They (the personalities in the royal order) were not unfit in any way, over & above that, your father, your brother had no objection to such a marriage. On the contrary, they gave their word of honor you would be married with Sisupala"
- Krsna continued, "You (Rukmini) had simply heard about Me from a third person, and still your faith in Me was so much fixed that even in the presence of many qualified, rich and beautiful men of the royal order"
- Krsna replied, "You (Kings) all belong to ksatriya families. Therefore, you should live honestly, according to the prescribed duties befitting the royal order, and make your citizens happy in all respects. Keep to the standard of ksatriya life"
- Krsna satisfied all great sages by His wonderful pastimes. He demolished all of the demoniac activities of the cruel royal order, protected all pious men, and killed all cruel fighters on the battlefield. Therefore He is all-auspicious for all men
- Krsna was playing chess in the royal assembly council hall
- Krsna's chariot started for Hastinapura accompanied by many other chariots, along with elephants, cavalry, infantry & similar royal paraphernalia. Bugles, drums, trumpets, conchshells & horns all produced auspicious sound which vibrated in all directions
- Kurus said, "They (the Yadus) should not have used such royal paraphernalia in our presence, but we did not check them due to our family relationships. Now they have the audacity to order us to do things. Well, enough of their impudence"
- Like Narada Muni, Parvata Muni also used to visit the royal assembly in the heaven of King Indra. As a Gandharva, sometimes he visited the royal assembly of Kuvera, one of the important demigods
- Lord Krsna said, "He (who even wishes to possess property of Brahmana) will be defeated by his enemies, and after being bereft of his royal position, when he gives up his body he will become a serpent, giving trouble to all other living entities"
- Lord Krsna said, "The proper prescribed duty of the brahmanas is the study of the Vedas; the proper duty of the royal order, and the ksatriyas, is engagement in protecting the citizens"
- Lord Rsabhadeva instructed His one hundred sons, of whom the eldest, Bharata, was a very advanced devotee and a follower of Vaisnavas. In order to rule the whole world, the Lord enthroned His eldest son on the royal seat
- Lord Siva and Goddess Durga were worshiped even by the royal families; other, minor demigods were worshiped by silly, lower-class people
- Mahabharata is the history of India. Maha means great, and bharata means India. And you see, Mahabharata is the history of two royal families fighting in the Battle of Kuruksetra and politics and diplomacy
- Maharaja Antardhana was not very happy while exacting taxes or punishing the citizens for their criminal activities; therefore, on the plea of performing sacrifices, he retired from the royal majestic power at a very early age
- Maharaja Pariksit, due to his natural affection for Lord Krsna as a devotee of the Lord, was always executing his royal duties on behalf of the Lord
- Maharaja Yudhisthira, as a matter of duty, maintained Dhrtarastra in royal honor, and Dhrtarastra was happily passing away his numbered days in the illusion of being a king or the royal uncle of King Yudhisthira
- Mucukunda continued, "Due to the action of cruel time, the royal body which was always decorated with golden ornaments during life & which moved on a chariot drawn by beautiful horses or on the back of an elephant nicely decorated with golden ornaments"
- Mucukunda continued, "Even in royal life one is full of anxieties, not only because of political administration but also in regard to being elevated to the heavenly planets"
- Mucukunda continued, "Kings and emperors sometimes accept the life of an ascetic to forget their royal life, but by Your special causeless mercy I have already been bereft of royalty. I do not need to become a mendicant or practice renunciation"
- Mucukunda continued, "On account of my being situated in the royal order, I was more puffed up than ordinary persons. An ordinary man thinks he is the proprietor of his body or his family, but I began to think in that way on a larger scale"
- Mucukunda continued, "The royal body was advertised as the king of human society - that royal body decomposes under the influence of inevitable time & becomes fit for being eaten by worms & insects or being turned into ashes or the stool of an animal"
- Mucukunda continued, "This beautiful body may be recognized as a royal body while in the living condition"
- Mukunda dasa externally appears to be a royal physician engaged in governmental service, but internally he has a deep love for Krsna. Who can understand his love
- On that Ratha-yatra festival day, after dancing before the Lord, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu will enter the Gundica garden. At that time you should go there alone, without your royal dress
- On the pretext of bad health, Sanatana Gosvami remained home. Thus he gave up government service and did not go to the royal court
- Once the world was overburdened by the unnecessary defense force of different kings, who were actually demons but were posing themselves as the royal order
- Once, when Visvamitra was a ksatriya king, he visited the hermitage of Vasistha Muni, and he was given a royal reception
- One day Mukunda dasa, the royal physician, was seated with the Muslim King on a high platform and was telling the King about medical treatment
- One very rich ksatriya of the royal order constructed a temple, someone made cooking utensils, and someone constructed boundary walls
- One who is not mature in his performance of yoga, he is given chance, another chance -- another chance in a very nice family, sucinam, very pure brahmana family; srimatam, very rich, royal or very rich mercantile family
- Out of a loving desire to see the Lord, the royal ladies of the Kurus got up on top of the palace, and smiling with affection and shyness, they showered flowers upon the Lord
- Riding on palanquins nicely decorated with silks, flags and golden lace, the sixteen thousand queens followed their exalted husband, Lord Krsna. The infantry soldiers carried shields, swords and lances in their hands and acted as royal bodyguards
- Royal families at Manipur and Tripura are descendants of Arjuna's son Babhruvahana
- Royal princes maintained menservants and maidservants with all provisions, as if they were their own children or family members
- Rukmini continued, "I do not think that the so-called royal families are kings of the material world. The kings of the material world are the three modes of material nature, who are actually its controllers"
- Rukmini continued, "You (Krsna) are never under the control of the senses; rather, You are the controller of the senses, Hrsikesa. My dear Lord, You have said that You are bereft of all royal power, and that is also correct"
- Rukmini was the daughter of King Bhismaka, a powerful king. Thus Krsna did not address her as Rukmini; He addressed her this time as the princess. "My dear princess, it is very surprising. Many great personalities in the royal order wanted to marry you"
- Sarvabhauma Bhattacarya suggested, "On that Ratha-yatra festival day, after dancing before the Lord, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu will enter the Gundica garden. At that time you (King Prataparudra) should go there alone, without your royal dress"
- So that was the position of the Pandavas; although Krsna is the Supreme Personality of Godhead, the greatest among all greats, still He remained with those royal brothers, being attracted by their devotion, by their friendship and by their love
- Srimati Radharani refused to go with Krsna to Dvaraka to enjoy His company in the atmosphere of royal opulence, for She wanted to enjoy His company in the original Vrndavana atmosphere
- Such a devotee is never attracted by the opulences of Vaikuntha, nor even of Dvaraka, the royal city where Krsna ruled
- Sukadeva Gosvami said to Pariksit, "He (king Bharata) very easily gave up his lordship over the earthly planet and his affection for his children, society, friends, royal opulence and beautiful wife"
- Sukadeva Gosvami said, "Maharaj Ambarisa was able to offer very nice prasadam to Krsna because he was a king and had no scarcity of finance. He used to offer Krsna the most royal dishes and would then taste the remnants as Krsna-prasadam"
- Sukadeva Gosvami said, "There was no scarcity in his royal style because he had a very beautiful temple wherein the Deity of the Lord was decorated with costly paraphernalia and offered high grade food"
- Svayambhuva Manu requested Kardama Muni to accept his daughter, since Kardama had not taken the vow of naisthika-brahmacarya. He was willing to marry, and the suitable daughter of a high royal family was presented
- The brahmacari may come from the royal house... Just like our Krsna is actually son of Vasudeva, and He was brahmacari
- The brahmana also accused the King of being ksatra-bandhu, which refers to a person born in the family of ksatriyas, or the royal order, but lacking the qualifications of a royal personality
- The brahmanas are not encouraged to fight or kill. No. They should remain always nonviolent. Even there is required violence, a brahmana will not kill personally. He will bring the matter to the ksatriya, royal order
- The brahmanas recited auspicious Vedic hymns, which purified the environment by their vibration. The experts in reciting old histories like the Puranas, the experts in reciting the histories of royal families, and general reciters all chanted
- The executive head of a state must be very intelligent to see to the comforts of the citizens, but according to the brahmana the King was not at all intelligent, although he was occupying the royal throne
- The King (Prataparudra) sprinkled the road with sandalwood-scented water. Although he was the owner of the royal throne, he engaged in menial service for the sake of Lord Jagannatha
- The King (Puranjana), very much fatigued, hungry and thirsty, returned to his royal palace. After returning, he took a bath and had an appropriate dinner. Then he took rest and thus became freed from all restlessness
- The King, fearing that the royal physician had been killed, personally descended and brought him to consciousness
- The Mahabharata was compiled by Vyasadeva after the Battle of Kuruksetra and after the death of all the heroes of Mahabharata. It was first spoken in the royal assembly of Maharaja Janamejaya, the son of Maharaja Pariksit
- The Mahabharata was first spoken in the royal assembly of Maharaja Janamejaya, the son of Maharaja Pariksit
- The mercantile community, the royal order and great sages were free to move about in order to achieve their desired benedictions. Similarly, the transcendentalists, when freed from the encagement of the material body, also achieve their desired goal
- The messenger reached the royal assembly of Krsna in Dvaraka and conveyed the message given by his master, Paundraka
- The paramahamsas are compared to royal swans who make their nests on the petals of the lotus flower. The Lord's transcendental bodily parts are always compared to the lotus flower because in the material world the lotus flower is the last word in beauty
- The sufferings of Kuntidevi are doubly lamented. She suffered greatly because of early widowhood and to get her minor children brought up in the royal family
- The woman and the old man specifically require the protection of the state or a ksatriya king. If such living beings do not get protection by the ksatriya, or the royal order, or by the state, it is certainly shameful for the ksatriya or the state
- The Yadus who went to the Prabhasa pilgrimage site performed their duties by distributing land, gold, and well-nourished cows in royal charity
- There are many instances in the history of the world of persons in the royal order who have killed their father, brother or a whole family and friends for the satisfaction of their ambitions
- There are two different ksatriya families of the royal order, one descending from the king of the moon planet and the other descending from the king of the sun planet
- They (opposing princes) addressed Sisupala thus, "Our dear Sisupala, don't be discouraged in this way. You belong to the royal order and are the chief amongst the fighters
- This is the foundation of Vedic society. Learned scholars, brahmanas, saintly persons and sages who were fully aware of the Vedic purpose advised the royal order how to benefit the general masses
- This royal Personality of Godhead (King Prthu) will be able to supply rains exactly like the heavenly King Indra. Thus he will very easily be able to protect the citizens from drought
- Those who fail to achieve success in the bhakti-yoga principles within one life are given a chance to take birth in the next life in a family of rich men or in a royal family or family of learned brahmanas or devotees
- Vena was very severe and cruel; therefore, as soon as all the thieves and rogues in the state heard of his ascendance to the royal throne, they became very much afraid of him. Indeed, they hid themselves here and there as rats hide themselves from snakes
- Vidura, born in the womb of a sudra woman, was forbidden even to be a party of royal heritage along with his brothers Dhrtarastra and Pandu
- We (the Kurus) have allowed the Yadu dynasty to use the royal insignias like the whisk, fan, conchshell, white umbrella, crown, royal throne, sitting place and bedstead, along with everything else befitting the royal order
- We Kurus, can't allow them (the Yadus) to do any more of these things, nor shall we allow them to use these royal insignias. Best to take all these things away; it is improper to feed a snake with milk, since merciful activities simply increase his venom
- When all the members of the royal assembly, including King Ugrasena, heard this message (Paundraka inviited Krsna to a battle) sent by Paundraka, they laughed very loudly for a considerable time
- When Krsna, before leaving the capital of the Pandavas for His home, asked Kunti for permission to leave, she said, "Dear Krsna, in our distress You were always present with us. Now, because we have been elevated to a royal position, You are leaving us"
- When Maharaja Pariksit entered the door of Samika Rsi, he did not expect a royal reception by the rsi because he knew that saints and rsis are not materially rich men
- When the tiger was killed, it would be offered the royal order of cremation. This system has been followed even up to the present day by the ksatriya kings of Jaipur state
- You should take either the tape recorder I have here, or one which Mr. Kallman will supply. Finally, there is the big Royal typewriter, which you must pack nicely and bring
- Yudhisthira said, "O Krsna, You are unlimited, and although we sometimes think of ourselves as royal kings and rulers of the world and become puffed up over our paltry positions, we are very poor in heart"