Collaborate with us to invoke and fully manifest Srila Prabhupada's Vani-presence.
fearful | fearfully | fearfulness | fearsome
This category has the following 4 subcategories, out of 4 total.
Pages in category "Fearfulness"
The following 122 pages are in this category, out of 122 total.
- A devotee is never fearful of his death, for he meditates on the Supreme Personality of Godhead always, not for any material profit, but as his duty. The Lord, however, knows how to protect His devotee
- A fearful black demon (Virabhadra) as high as the sky and as bright as three suns combined was created (by Lord Siva), his teeth very fearful and the hairs on his head like burning fire
- A human being should eat prasada offered to the Deity and should enjoy sex life according to the Vedic injunctions. He should engage himself in the business of Krsna consciousness, he should save himself from the fearful condition of material existence
- A person who is condemned by a brahmana or is always fearful to other living entities is not favored either by those who are already in hell or by those in the species in which he is born
- A relative or intimate friend is always fearful of some injury to his beloved
- A sane person, by attaining old age, will become fearful of death. Foolish people engage in material activities as if they will live forever and enjoy material advancement, but actually there is no material advancement
- A sense of weakness caused by distress, fearfulness or offensiveness is called humility. In this condition one becomes talkative, small in heart, dirty in mind, full of anxiety and inactive
- Abhayam means fearlessness. So long we are not connected in Krsna consciousness or not connected with the Supreme Lord, we shall always be fearful. Fearful is one of the qualification of the conditioned soul
- After Lord Krsna had heard the prayers of Mother Earth, He immediately assured her of immunity from all fearful situations. He said to Bhagadatta, "Don't be afraid"
- Aja (Brahma) and others arrived on the spot to see the fearfully tusked demon lying on the ground, biting his lip. The glow of his face was yet unfaded, and Brahma admiringly said: Oh, who could meet such blessed death?
- Akrura continued, "Let me offer my respectful obeisances unto Your (Krsna's) Lordship, who appeared as Nrsimhadeva to deliver all kinds of devotees from the fearful condition of atheistic atrocities"
- Alas, the small deer, while playing with me and seeing me feigning meditation with closed eyes, would circumambulate me due to anger arising from love, and it would fearfully touch me with the points of its soft horns, which felt like drops of water
- Although Kalakanya means invalidity or old age, Yavana-raja wanted to serve Krsna by introducing Kalakanya everywhere. Thus a sane person, by attaining old age, will become fearful of death
- Although Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu was Sri Krsna Himself, the Supreme Lord, and was therefore not at all fearful, He still acted like a human being to teach neophytes how to act
- And that determination which cannot go beyond dreaming, fearfulness, lamentation, moroseness and illusion - such unintelligent determination, O son of Prtha, is in the mode of darkness
- Apparently a devotee may grow old, but he is not subjected to the symptoms of defeat experienced by a common man in old age. Consequently, old age does not make a devotee fearful of death, as a common man is fearful of death
- Aristasura entered Vrndavana with such a fearful appearance that just on seeing this great demon all the men and women were afflicted with great fear, and the cows and other animals fled the village
- As soon as Caitanya Mahaprabhu heard about Madhavendra Puri's relationship with the brahmana, He immediately offered obeisances at his feet. Becoming fearful, the brahmana also immediately fell at the Lord's feet
- As soon as Raktak finally understood that it was Krsna in the dress of Abhimanyu, he began perspiring. This perspiration was caused by fearfulness
- Because the government was very lenient, not very strong, a demonic class of men took advantage of it and they began to create atrocities and fearfulness in Calcutta city
- Being very pleased by the unalloyed devotion of Maharaja Ambarisa, the Supreme Personality of Godhead gave the King His disc, which is fearful to enemies and which always protects the devotee from enemies and adversities
- By crying out the word "Krsna," the boys at once transcended the fearful situation. Out of His great affection, Krsna did not want His friends to give up their pleasing lunch engagement and go searching for the calves
- By prowess one can avoid fearfulness
- By the grace of the Matsya avatara, Manu saved himself from the great danger of the flood. May that same fish incarnation save us from the great and fearful danger caused by the son of Tvasta
- By those riches, the King could procure the ingredients for three horse sacrifices. Thus the pious King Yudhisthira, who was very fearful after the Battle of Kuruksetra, pleased Lord Hari, the Personality of Godhead
- Despite the valuable jewel on the hood, a serpent is still a serpent and is as fearful as an ordinary serpent
- Devaki said, "My Lord, I request You to save me from the cruel hands of Kamsa, the son of Ugrasena. I am praying to Your Lordship to please rescue me from this fearful condition because You are always ready to give protection to Your servitors"
- Dhrtarastra became very fearful about the influence of the holy place on the outcome of the battle. He knew very well that this would influence Arjuna and the sons of Pandu favorably, because by nature they were all virtuous
- Each of Anantadeva's hoods had two eyes, which appeared very fearful. His body was as white as the mountaintop of Kailasa, which is always covered with snow
- Eating, sleeping, sex life and protection from fearfulness. Now this has been done in so many lives. Why not in this life make a perfect process so that no more death, no more birth, no more disease, no more old age?
- Excessive attachment for material things puts a man in such a bewildering condition of existence. Such fearfulness and loss of mental equilibrium take place in persons who are too affected by material conditions
- Foolish scientists are thinking that they have advanced materially. When Kalakanya, the invalidity of old age, attacks them, they become fearful of death, if they are sane
- From the southern side of the sacrificial fire known as Anvaharya came a fearful personality who looked like the destroyer of the entire creation at the end of the millennium
- He (Aristasura) roared fiercely, and after digging up the earth on the riverside, he entered the village proper. The fearful roaring of the bull was so piercing that some of the pregnant cows and women had miscarriages
- He (Maharaja Yudhisthira) saw that the direction of eternal time had changed, and this was very fearful. There were disruptions in the seasonal regularities
- He (Maharaja Yudhisthira) suspected the disappearance of Lord Krsna, otherwise there would have been no possibility of fearful omens
- He (Salva) desired that the airplane be able to fly anywhere and everywhere he would like to pilot it, and be specifically very dangerous and fearful to the dynasty of the Yadus. Lord Siva immediately agreed to give him the benediction
- He (Vidura) did not ask Maharaja Yudhisthira in that way (get out of the false position of King) because he knew that a king like Maharaja Yudhisthira is aware of all the fearful situations of this flimsy world and would take care of himself
- He alone who is never afraid but who, on the contrary, gives complete shelter to all fearful persons can actually become a husband and protector. Therefore, my (Laksmi's) Lord, you (Kamadeva) are the only husband, and no one else can claim this position
- He killed the king of the demons (Hiranyakasipu), who challenged the Lord with a club in his hand, by placing the demon on His thighs and piercing him with His nails, rolling His eyebrows in anger and showing His fearful teeth and mouth
- His tusks were fearful, and He glanced over the devotee-brahmanas engaged in offering prayers. Thus He entered the water
- I (Narada Muni) visited deep, dark and dangerously fearful forests, which were the play yards of snakes, owls and jackals
- I am fearful about what will happen here in my absence; I take this suggestion of yourself a manager of Hare Krishna Land as a very sound idea
- If a venomous serpent is bereft of its poison fangs, it is no longer fearful. Similarly, if the senses are engaged in the service of the Lord, there is no need to fear their activities
- If there is emotion from seeing an elephant, one may jump, show various signs of fearfulness, and sometimes one may keep looking behind him
- If we cannot fulfill our desires, then there is krodha, anger. And accompanied by krodha and attachment, there is always a tendency of fearfulness
- If we take shelter of the lotus feet of abhaya-caranaravinda re, Krsna, then this bhayam element, fearfulness element, will be completely nil
- If You do not give up Your shame and fear, however, I shall continuously drink the nectar of Krsna's lips. I am slightly fearful because You also have the right to drink that nectar, but as for the others, I consider them like straw
- If you have no appetite, if you eat, then you suffer. If you infect some disease, you'll suffer. That is practical. So we are associating in, being infected by lust, greediness, illusion, fearfulness, so many things
- In this way (when Mercury does not move along with the sun, it forbodes cyclones, dust, irregular rainfall, and waterless clouds) it creates fearful conditions due to inadequate or excessive rainfall
- Instead of being inimical toward other living entities, one should act piously by engaging in the service of the Supreme Lord, thus avoiding a fearful situation both in this life and in the next
- It (Mercury) creates fearful conditions due to inadequate or excessive rainfall
- King Indra used his thunderbolt to cut off the heads of both Bala and Paka in the presence of all their relatives and followers. In this way he created a very fearful atmosphere on the battlefield
- Krsna, being compassionate upon the Yadus, who were fearful due to the atrocities committed by Kamsa, ordered the appearance of Yogamaya, His internal potency. Krsna is the Lord of the universe, but He is especially the Lord of the Yadus
- Lamentation, jubilation, fearfulness, envy, greed, illusion and madness are different features of our material concept of life. A person influenced like this engages in enmity only due to the material body
- Lord Visnu informed the demigods that they and the other living entities would be saved from the fearful conditions created by Hiranyakasipu
- Maharaja Bharata said: This moon has given the deer shelter near itself just to protect it from the fearful attacks of a lion
- Many soldiers of Lord Siva followed the fierce personality in a tumultuous uproar. He carried a great trident, fearful enough to kill even death, and on his legs he wore bangles which seemed to roar
- Material existence is full of anxiety, and therefore it is fearful
- May Madhusudana, who carries a bow very fearful for the demons, protect me during the fifth part of the day. In the evening, may Lord Madhava, appearing as Brahma, Visnu & Mahesvara, protect me, and in the beginning of night may Lord Hrsikesa protect me
- Mother Yasoda could understand that Krsna was unnecessarily afraid, and for His benefit she wanted to allay His fears. Being the topmost well-wisher of her child, Yasoda thought, "If the child is too fearful of me, I don’t know what will happen to Him"
- No one is put into difficulty, anxiety, fearfulness or dissatisfaction by such a devotee. Since a devotee is kind to everyone, he does not act in such a way as to put others into anxiety
- Now we have got so many students and so many temples but I am fearful that if we expand too much in this way that we shall become weakened and gradually the whole thing will become lost
- O my Lord, O unconquerable one, O master of all potencies, please exhibit Your internal potency to conquer the nescience of all moving & inert living entities. Due to nescience, they accept all kinds of faulty things, thus provoking a fearful situation
- O Pancajanya, you create a fearful sound vibration that causes trembling in the hearts of enemies like the Raksasas, pramatha ghosts, Pretas, Matas, Pisacas and brahmana ghosts with fearful eyes
- On the birth of the two demons (Hiranyaksa and Hiranyakasipu) there were many natural disturbances, all very fearful and wonderful, in the heavenly planets, the earthly planets and in between them
- One who performs severe austerities for sense gratification is fearful to the entire world, whereas a devotee who performs even a slight amount of devotional service is a friend to everyone
- Out of bereavement, distress and fearfulness (for Krsna), they (the cowherd boys) became bewildered and began to fall on the ground
- Sanaka Muni addressed the Lord as follows, "They know that the post of the King of heaven is also fearful, whereas for those who are engaged in glorifying Your transcendental qualities there is only joyfulness and freedom from all danger"
- She (mother Yasoda) smiled as she thought, "The child is very clever. After breaking the pot He has left this place, fearing punishment." After she sought all over, she found her son sitting on a big wooden grinding mortar, which was kept upside down
- Similarly, there is a statement describing confusion caused by fearfulness
- Simply by giving aural reception to this Vedic literature, the feeling for loving devotional service to Lord Krsna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, sprouts up at once to extinguish the fire of lamentation, illusion and fearfulness
- So the word pavarga signifies our struggle for existence and our meeting with defeat, exhaustion, bondage, fearfulness and, at last, death
- Sometimes ghastly activities also support strong ecstatic love for Krsna. This state of mind is called ecstatic fearfulness under illusion
- Such pastimes as those of Nrsimhadeva are certainly not meant to create a fearful situation for the devotees, but nonetheless the devotees, being very simple and faithful, were afraid of the fierce incarnation of the Lord
- That very fearful demon, who was actually the son of Tvasta, covered all the planetary systems by dint of austerity. Therefore he was named Vrtra, or one who covers everything
- The attraction between man and woman, or male and female, always exists everywhere, making everyone always fearful
- The conditioned living entity has the defect of being always fearful, but simply by the mercy of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, he can rid himself of this defect of material life. Therefore the Lord alone can be addressed as master
- The demon (Hiranyaksa), who had fearful tusks, stared at the Personality of Godhead (Varahadeva) as though to burn Him. Springing into the air, he aimed his mace at the Lord, exclaiming at the same time, "You are slain!"
- The demon, who had golden hair on his head and fearful tusks, gave chase to the Lord while He was rising from the water, even as an alligator would chase an elephant
- The Kazi said, "When I went to the Hindu's house, broke the drum & forbade the performance of congregational chanting, in my dreams that very night I saw a greatly fearful lion, roaring very loudly, His body like a human being's & His face like a lion's
- The letter ba comes from the word bandha, or bondage. Bha is taken from the word bhiti, or fearfulness. Ma is taken from the word mrti, or death
- The Lord inquired from Govinda, "Who has made this?" When Govinda named Jagadananda Pandita, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu was somewhat fearful
- The personified ocean fearfully approached Lord Ramacandra, taking all paraphernalia to worship Him. Falling at the Lord's lotus feet, the personified ocean spoke as follows
- The sense organs are certainly our greatest enemies, and they are therefore compared to venomous serpents. However, if a venomous serpent is bereft of its poison fangs, it is no longer fearful
- The symptom of becoming stunned is caused by ecstatic tribulation, fearfulness, astonishment, lamentation and anger. This symptom is exhibited by a stoppage of talking, a stoppage of movement, a feeling of voidness and an extreme feeling of separation
- The yogis should contemplate with full devotion the compassionate glances frequently cast by the Lord's eyes, for they soothe the most fearful threefold agonies of His devotees. His glances, accompanied by loving smiles, are full of abundant grace
- Their (the ten million Rudras') associates, the ghosts and goblins, who are very fearful, were born of the other wife of Bhuta
- This again is an instance of the conjunction of two opposing elements: the child was very fearless, but at the same time Yasoda was becoming fearful of some danger. Here danger is the cause, & Yasoda's feelings are in conjunction of two opposing symptoms
- This is an instance of ecstatic love for Krsna in fearfulness caused by a tumultuous sound. This kind of fearfulness is a little different from being actually afraid
- This is an instance of fearfulness caused by a ferocious animal and of the search for shelter while remembering Krsna in ecstatic love
- Those who are little advanced in understanding Bhagavad-gita, the A-B-C-D of spiritual knowledge, at least theoretically, one knows that he is not this body. But still, when the body is in danger, we become fearful
- To accept any kind of religion or faith means to nullify these five kinds of vargas. Hard work, foaming, fearfulness, frustration, and ultimately, death. That is the purpose of dharma
- To gain a position where there will be no fear, we have to accept a fearful method. So, in the material world whatever we think, they are not very happy proposition, that's everything is fear
- When Akrura understood that Krsna was the Supreme Personality of Godhead, he bowed his head to Krsna's lotus feet and with folded hands began to pray in a faltering voice. There are also examples of faltering of the voice caused by fearfulness
- When Devaki and Vasudeva understood that their two sons Krsna and Balarama, who had paid obeisances to them, were the Supreme Personality of Godhead, they became fearful and did not embrace Them
- When dread is caused by a fearful object, this fearful object is generally a person who is fearsome in his features, nature and influence
- When I (Bharata) chastised the deer by pushing it away, it would immediately become fearful and sit down motionless, exactly like the son of a saintly person. Thus it would stop its play
- When Lord Krsna heard the prayers of mother earth, He immediately assured her of immunity from all fearful situations. He said to Bhagadatta, "Don't be afraid." Then He entered the palace of Bhaumasura, which was equipped with all kinds of opulences
- When one becomes frightened at seeing a lightning bolt in the sky, that fearfulness brings on anxiety. Therefore, fearfulness and anxiety may be taken as one
- When the Bengali poet heard this chastisement from Svarupa Damodara Gosvami, he was ashamed, fearful and astonished. Indeed, being like a duck in a society of white swans, he could not say anything
- When unhappiness, fearfulness and the sense of having offended combine, one feels condemned. This sense of condemnation is described as dinata, humility
- When you forget Krsna, or God, and if we think there is something else than Krsna, then we are afraid. And those who are convinced and realized souls that there is nothing but Krsna, where is the cause of fearfulness?
- Why did you not retaliate by reproaching Him? Why did you fearfully tolerate His criticism
- With a fearful heart, Durvasa Muni went here and there seeking shelter, but when he could find no shelter, he finally approached Lord Brahma and said, "O my lord, O Lord Brahma, kindly protect me from the blazing Sudarsana cakra sent by the S P of God"
- With his fearful, deathlike teeth, he seemed to be trying to devour the entire universe. Thus assuming a gigantic body, the great demon Vrtrasura shook even the mountains and began crushing the surface of the earth with his legs
- You (Pancajanya) create a fearful sound vibration that causes trembling in the hearts of enemies like the Raksasas, pramatha ghosts, Pretas, Matas, Pisacas and brahmana ghosts with fearful eyes
- You, as the Supersoul in everyone's heart, inspire fear or fearlessness according to one's intelligence, but in You there is no duality