Category:Austerities and Penances
"austerities and penances"|"austerity and penance"|"austerities and penance"|"austerity and penances"|"penance and austerity"|"penances and austerities"|"austerities, penances"
This category has the following 3 subcategories, out of 3 total.
Pages in category "Austerities and Penances"
The following 165 pages are in this category, out of 165 total.
- A brahmacari, or student, should perform sacrifices, a householder should give charity, and a person in the retired life or in the renounced order should practice penances and austerities
- A first-class brahmana does not accept any rewards from his disciples or yajamanas. Practicing austerities and penances, he instead goes to the agricultural field and collects food grains left by the agriculturalists to be collected by brahmanas
- A friend tells mother Yasoda: "It appears to be due to the result of severe penances and austerities in your past lives that your son (Krsna) was saved in this way"
- A hard heart is compared to a lightning bolt, to gold and to shellac. The lightning bolt is very strong and never becomes soft. Similarly, the hearts of those who are engaged in severe austerities and penances do not become very easily softened
- A suitable wife helps her husband perform penances and austerities in household life if both of them are on the same elevated platform of spiritual understanding
- Above the sun are planetary systems where persons who are elevated by great austerities and penances are situated. The whole material universe is called Devi-dhama, and above it is Siva-dhama, where Lord Siva and his wife Parvati eternally reside
- According to the development of consciousness, God realization is present. In the human form of life it is recommended, therefore, that one undergo the different types of penances and austerities described in Bhagavad-gita
- Actually, one should undergo severe austerities and penances only to achieve spiritual happiness. In Srimad-Bhagavatam it is recommended that tapasya, or austerity, should be accepted for realizing the Supreme Lord
- All the saintly persons present offered their prayers in this way: O supreme maintainer of those sheltered at Your lotus feet, O original PG the process of austerity and penance, in which You instructed us before, is the spiritual power of Your very self
- Although mental speculators and fruitive actors may perform great austerities and penances, they still fall down because they do not have information about the lotus feet of the Lord
- Although the Mayavadis have undergone penances, austerities - very strictly they follow the principles of spiritual life - but because they are under maya, at the end they are thinking that "I am God, Purusa," the same disease, purusa
- Although they accept severe austerities and penances and rise to the spiritual position, to impersonal Brahman realization, they fall down again because they neglect to worship Your lotus feet
- Among the brahmanas, some are householders and are mostly attached to fruitive activities or the betterment of social conditions. Above them, however, are brahmanas who are very much attracted by austerities and penances and who retire from family life
- And if, after executing all kinds of penances and austerities, one cannot always see Krsna inside and out, then he has executed his performances uselessly
- As the Lord advises in the Bhagavad-gita, "Whatever you do, do it for Me; whatever you eat, first offer it to Me; whatever charity you want to give, first give it to Me; and whatever austerities and penances you want to perform, perform them for Me"
- Austerity, penance, that is human life. Otherwise, it is animal life. Simply animal civilization. It is not human civilization
- Bahulasva said, "You (Krsna) have sent Your incarnation Nara-Narayana, who is engaged in severe austerities and penances at Badarinarayana"
- By this means, householder brahmanas who actually abide by the principles of austerity and penance maintain themselves and their families and perform all necessary pious activities
- Celibacy is so important that even though one does not undergo any austerities, penances or ritualistic ceremonies prescribed in the Vedas, if one simply keeps himself a pure brahmacari, the result is that after death he goes to the Satyaloka
- Conceited persons who think they can obtain liberation without the Lord's mercy, simply by performing strict penances and austerities, are totally mistaken; they fail
- Dhruva Maharaja is an acarya, and by undergoing severe austerities and penances he teaches us how one should execute devotional service. We must carefully know the process of Dhruva Maharaja's service
- Dhruva-ghata, where there are many nice trees of fruits and flowers, is famous because Dhruva Maharaja meditated and underwent severe penances and austerities there in an elevated spot
- Dogs and hogs do not have to work so hard for sex. A human being should try to live in a different way and should not try to imitate dogs and hogs. The alternative is mentioned. Human life is meant for tapasya, austerity and penance
- Even after great austerities and penance, one may rise, param padam, in the, merging into the Brahman effulgence. Still, from there, he falls down. He falls down. Because Brahman, the spirit soul, is anandamaya
- Even after undergoing severe penances and austerities and performing the yogic principles, the great mystic yogis can hardly become eligible to achieve the dust of the lotus feet of Krsna
- Even great scholars and philosophers like Dr. Radhakrishnan will have to perform heaps of austerities and penances before they will yield to the process of surrender
- Even the goddess of fortune could not receive the same favor as the gopis, although she underwent severe austerities and penances for many years
- Even the Mayavadi impersonalists, who flatter themselves that they have become the Lord, are not abhijna or svarat, fully cognizant or fully independent. The Mayavadi monists undergo a severe process of austerity and penance
- Even though one does not undergo any austerities, penances or ritualistic ceremonies prescribed in the Vedas, if one simply keeps himself a pure brahmacari, not discharging his semen, the result is that after death he goes to the Satyaloka
- For a person devoid of devotional service, birth in a great family or nation, knowledge of the revealed scriptures, performance of austerities and penance, and chanting of Vedic mantras are all like ornaments on a dead body
- For example, the cowherd boys who are playing with Krsna do not have to learn by austerities or penances or yogic practice how to play with Him
- For God realization or self-realization, one generally has to undergo severe austerities and penances for many, many thousands of years, and then it may be possible to realize God
- Garga Muni was a great saintly sage who had undergone many austerities and penances and been appointed priest of the Yadu dynasty
- Gopis addressed the earth and began to say, "My dear earthly planet, how many austerities and penances you must have undergone to have the lotus feet of Krsna always touching your surface"
- Having equipped himself with austere penance, adoration, mental concentration and absorption in devotion, accompanied by dispassion, and having controlled his senses, Brahma, the self-born living creature, evolved great sages as his beloved sons
- He (Mucukunda) decided to remain in that Gandhamadana Mountain region to execute austerities and penances for the rest of his life
- He (Narada Muni) had many other disciples, but he was very pleased with Dhruva Maharaja because in one lifetime, by dint of his severe penances and austerities, he had achieved Vaikuntha
- He (Narada Muni) was very pleased with Dhruva Maharaja because in one lifetime, by dint of his severe penances and austerities, he had achieved Vaikuntha, which was never achieved by any other king's son or rajarsi throughout the whole universe
- Hiranyakasipu underwent severe austerity and penance to satisfy Brahma and thus receive a benediction of immortality
- His austerities and penances are exemplary practices for the human being. The incarnation of God Narayana Rsi was sitting amongst many devotees in the village known as Kalapa-grama
- His body shone most brilliantly; though he had engaged in austere penance for a long time, he was not emaciated, for the Lord had cast His affectionate sidelong glance upon him and he had also heard the nectar flowing from the moonlike words of the Lord
- If a person born in a family of dog-eaters takes to the chanting of the holy name of Krsna, it is to be understood that in his previous life he must have executed all kinds of austerities and penances and performed all the Vedic yajnas
- If after undergoing all types of austerities, penances and mystic yoga practices one does not develop such love for Hari, then all his performances are to be considered a useless waste of time
- If one has awakened his dormant love for Krsna, then what is the use in executing austerities and penances unnecessarily. The Krsna consciousness movement is the unique gift of Lord Caitanya to the fallen souls of this age
- If one wants to perform austerities and penances in order to attain the supreme goal, one must attain the favor of the Supreme Personality of Godhead
- If someone always sees Krsna inside and out, then it is to be understood that he has surpassed all austerities and penances for self realization
- If you have been able to worship Krsna, then there is no need of any more austerities, penances, (indistinct) to self-realize or to know God
- If you perform austerities and penances that is a kind of sacrifice
- In actuality the Mayavadi philosophers very strictly follow the austerities and penances of spiritual life and in this way are elevated to the impersonal Brahman platform, but due to their negligence of the lotus feet of the Lord they again fall down
- In contrast to Sutapa and Prsnigarbha, they (Drona and Dhara) did not undergo severe penances and austerities to become the father and mother of Krsna. This is the difference between nitya-siddha and sadhana-siddha
- In the beginning of life boys and girls should undergo penances and austerities. When they are grown, they should get married, live for some time at home and beget children
- In the beginning of life, as a brahmacari, one has to undergo severe penances and austerities in order to be educated in spiritual values
- In the beginning, those who are aspiring for salvation try to get out of the material entanglement by performing painful austerities and penances, and ultimately they come to the impersonal status of spiritual realization
- In the dynasty of Gadhi, the most powerful Visvamitra took birth. By dint of his austerity and penance, he became a brahmana. He had 101 sons, who were celebrated as the Madhucchandas
- In the material world, simply to get a little favor from the goddess of fortune, people observe many rigid regulations of austerity & penance. The Lord cannot tolerate any inconvenience on the part of the devotee. He is therefore famous as bhakta-vatsala
- In the preliminary phase of spiritual life there are different kinds of austerities, penances and similar processes for attaining self-realization
- Indra said, "Your (Krsna's) abode is accessible only for one who undergoes severe austerities and penances and becomes completely freed from the onslaught of material qualities like passion and ignorance"
- It is said that although one executes severe austerities, penances and sacrifices in his life, if he fails to awaken his dormant love for Krsna, then all his penances are to be considered useless
- It is said that many kings and emperors formerly went to the forest for this purpose - to prosecute severe austerities and penances in order to go back home, back to Godhead
- Kalindi said, "My dear Draupadi, I was engaged in great austerities and penances to get Lord Krsna as my husband. When He became aware of this fact, He very kindly came to me with His friend Arjuna and accepted me as His wife"
- Kaliya said, "O killer of the Mura demon, I have acquired many mystic powers by my austerity and penances, but before You I am nothing, I am most insignificant. Therefore, please be kind upon a poor soul like me, and don't be angry with me"
- Kardama Muni advised his wife: "You have to factually engage in devotional service with austerity and penance, following the religious principles and giving charity. Then the Supreme Lord will be pleased with you, and He will come as your son
- Lord Brahma also came when Hiranyakasipu underwent severe penances and austerities and made the whole universe tremble
- Lord Caitanya was neither foolish nor ignorant of the principles of the Vedanta. His purpose was to demonstrate to modern society that fools who have no history of penance and austerity should not try to study the Vedanta
- Lord Krsna said, "A brahmacari is meant to lead a life of austerities and penance. The householder is meant to live a regulated life of sense gratification, but no one should remain a householder for the third stage of life"
- Lord Krsna said, "In that stage, one has to return to the austerities and penances formerly practiced in brahmacari life and thus relieve himself of the attachment to household life"
- Lord Siva, whose hair is matted on his head, has certainly undergone great austerities and penances. Indeed, he is the president in the assembly of strict followers of Vedic principles
- Materialists who have no knowledge of devotional service. They may be very religious and may work very systematically or perform austerities and penances, but if they blaspheme the Supreme Personality of Godhead they are nothing but rogues
- Mundane violence and nonviolence have nothing to do with the Lord's acts. A demon killed by Him attains the same result as one who attains liberation after many, many births of penance and austerity
- My dear King, some brahmanas are very much attached to fruitive activities, some are attached to austerities and penances, and still others study the Vedic literature, whereas some, although very few, cultivate knowledge and practice different yogas
- Narada Muni tells his disciple, Vyasadeva, "My dear Vyasa, you should know that persons who are engaged in executing austerities and penances, studying the Vedas, performing big sacrifices, chanting the hymns of the Vedas"
- No one's austerities can compare to the service of the queens at Dvaraka. Sukadeva Gosvami informed Maharaja Pariksit that for self-realization the austerities and penances performed by the queens at Dvaraka have no comparison
- O demigods, I instruct you to approach Visvarupa, the son of Tvasta, and accept him as your guru. He is a pure and very powerful brahmana undergoing austerity and penances
- O King, being thus informed by the demigods, the most powerful Lord Brahma, accompanied by Bhrgu, Daksa and other great sages, immediately started for the place where Hiranyakasipu was performing his penances and austerities
- O supreme unconquerable Lord (Kamadeva), when they become absorbed in thoughts of material enjoyment, Lord Brahma and Lord Siva, as well as other demigods and demons, undergo severe penances and austerities to receive my (Laksmi's) benedictions
- O supreme unconquerable Lord, when they become absorbed in thoughts of material enjoyment, Lord Brahma and Lord Siva, as well as other demigods and demons, undergo severe penances and austerities to receive my benedictions
- One cannot be purified merely by undergoing austerity, penance, brahmacarya and the other methods of atonement I have previously described
- One has to cultivate knowledge of the Absolute Truth by pursuing studies in the Vedas and undergoing severe austerities and penances
- One has to return to the austerities & penances formerly practiced in brahmacari life & thus relieve himself of the attachment to household life. After being relieved of his attachments to materialistic way of life, one may accept the order of sannyasa
- One may ask if this means that those who are undergoing so much penance and austerity by strictly following the rules and regulations are endeavoring in vain
- One should not indulge in sex outside of married life, for sex is sanctioned in the scripture only in marriage, not otherwise. This is called celibacy. These are penances and austerities as far as the body is concerned
- One sometimes, after practicing much severe austerities and penances, he can approach the Brahman, param padam, that is Brahman realization, or Brahmaloka. Patanty adhah. But from there also you will fall down
- One who oppresses a pure devotee loses all the results of his austerities, penances and pious activities
- One's only concern should be to satisfy the Lord by one's activities. If the Lord is satisfied by an action, whatever it may be, then it is successful. Otherwise, it is simply a waste of time. That is the standard of all sacrifice, penance, austerity
- Persons of normal mental condition must obey the scriptural injunctions. Those who are not in such a position neglect and disobey the scriptures and manufacture their own way of austerities and penances
- Pious activities of the people, such as performance of Vedic rituals, charity, austere penances & transcendental service, performed with a view to worship & satisfy You by offering You the fruitive results, are also beneficial. Such acts never go in vain
- Sages means those who have undergone austerities, penance, and many tribulation for attaining perfection, they are called sages
- Seeing the footprints of the deer on the ground, Maharaja Bharata praised the footprints out of love, saying: O unfortunate Bharata, your austerities and penances are very insignificant compared to the penance and austerity undergone by this earth planet
- Seeing the performance of such austere penances, the demigods, who had been wandering throughout the planets, now returned to their respective homes
- Simply by serving brahmanas and Vaisnavas one can get liberation. There is no need to undergo severe penances and austerities
- Some of the asuras, or demons, such as Ravana and Hiranyakasipu, also underwent a severe process of austerity and penance, but they obtained nothing except some temporary objects of sensory pleasure
- Some of the asuras, or demons, such as Ravana and Hiranyakasipu, underwent a severe process of austerity and penance, but they obtained nothing except some temporary objects of sensory pleasure
- Someone may argue that even devotees have to undergo many distresses in executing austerities and penances connected with devotional service
- Sometimes we are proud of our austerities, penances and mystic yogic powers, but it is clearly stated herein that one cannot surpass the laws and directions of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, either by dint of mystic power, a scientific education
- Srila Sukadeva Gosvami also informed King Pariksit that previously many other kings and emperors went to the jungle to prosecute severe austerities and penances in order to go back home, back to Godhead
- The beautiful girl was the river Yamuna personified. She replied (to Arjuna), "Sir, I am the daughter of the sun-god, and I am now performing penance and austerity to have Lord Visnu as my husband"
- The doctrines of anthropomorphism and zoomorphism are never applicable to Sri Krsna, or the Personality of Godhead. The theory that a man becomes God by dint of penance and austerities is very much rampant nowadays, especially in India
- The dry speculators, however, because of their following the principles of austerity and penance, can have knowledge of the impersonal features of the Lord to some extent, but there is no chance of their understanding His ultimate form as Govinda
- The eighth offense is to equate the chanting of Hare Krsna with other spiritual activities, such as meditation, austerity, penance or sacrifice. They cannot be equated at any level
- The entire process of austerity and penance is meant to detach one from the material world and enhance one’s attachment to Krsna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Krsna is the shelter of all persons advancing in self-realization
- The gopis assembled there spoke among themselves, "What sort of austerities and penances we must have undergone in our previous lives! We must have worshiped the Supreme Personality of Godhead, offered different kinds of sacrifices and made charities"
- The gopis said, "Although she is always resting on Your (Krsna's) chest in the Vaikuntha planets, she underwent great austerity and penance to have some shelter at Your lotus feet, which are always covered by tulasi leaves"
- The gopis said: "Dear earthly planet, how many austerities and penances you must have undergone to have the lotus feet of Krsna always touching your surface"
- The gopis then looked upon the ground they were traversing and began to address the earth: "Dear earthly planet, we do not know how many penances and austerities you have undergone to be now living with the footprints of Lord Krsna upon you"
- The Haryasvas began practicing austerities, penances and meditation, which are the engagements of the highly exalted renounced order of life
- The impersonalists, who take much trouble in penance and austerity for self-liberation, may approach the impersonal brahmajyoti, but ultimately, they glide down again to the material world to undergo another term of material existence
- The Lord is described here as tri-pat, which means that He is the enjoyer of three kinds of sacrifices. In Bhagavad-gita the Lord confirms that He is the beneficiary and enjoyer of all sacrifices, penances and austerities
- The Lord, being the source of everything that be, is the origin of all austerities and penances also
- The Mayavadi monists undergo a severe process of austerity and penance to acquire the knowledge needed for becoming one with the Lord, but ultimately they become dependent on some rich follower, who supplies them with requisite paraphernalia
- The Mayavadis are called avisuddha-buddhayah, or unclean in knowledge. Because they are unclean in knowledge, all their austerities and penances end in frustration
- The Mayavadis who are trying to become liberated in so many ways, mystic yoga practice and austere penances, and so on, so on, so on, so on... You can get that liberty immediately, simply by engaging yourself in some service of Krsna
- The Nagapatnis said, "He (Kaliya) must have undergone all kinds of penances and austerities, humbly honored others and executed universal welfare activities for all living creatures"
- The personified Vedas continued to pray, "Thus they (Intelligent persons) are immediately freed from the contamination of the material qualities; they do not have to undergo severe penances and austerities for advancement in spiritual life"
- The personified Vedas continued, "By this simple process of penance and austerity, the Supersoul within the devotee's heart is very much pleased and gives the devotee directions so that he may go back home, back to Godhead"
- The personified Vedas said: We offer our respectful obeisances unto You, the Lord, the shelter of the quality of goodness and therefore the source of all religion, austerity and penance, for You are transcendental to all material qualities
- The Pracetas underwent severe austerities for many, many years, even within the water. Accepting austerities and penances is the avowed business of those interested in advanced civilization
- The Supreme Godhead here explains the different kinds of austerity and penance. First He explains the austerities and penances practiced by the body
- The symptoms of a brahmana are control of the mind, control of the senses, austerity and penance, cleanliness, satisfaction, forgiveness, simplicity, knowledge, mercy, truthfulness, and complete surrender to the Supreme Personality of Godhead
- The vanaprastha stage is exactly like this. Although the wife remains with the husband, she undergoes severe austerities and penances so that although both husband and wife live together, there is no question of sex
- There is no need of great austerities or penances to worship the Lord, for Me accepts even a small service offered by His devotee. Thus He is satisfied, and as soon as He is satisfied, the devotee is successful
- There is, of course, suffering in the lives of animals and plants, which are suffering due to their past misdeeds. However, human beings should voluntarily accept suffering in the form of austerities and penances in order to attain the divine life
- These four brahmacaris, the Kumaras, are recognized scholars in the Vedas and other sastras. Their unlimited volumes of knowledge, backed by austerities and penances, are exhibited by their sublime, ideal character
- These mudhas do not know that if they want to purify themselves, they must worship Lord Vasudeva (Krsna) by performing penances and austerities. This purification is the aim of human life. This life is not meant for blind indulgence
- They executed the required austerities and penances in their lives and were liberal, meeting the standard of qualified brahmanas
- This behavior of Lord Krsna with the gopis and queens is unique in the history of self-realization. Usually people understand that for self-realization one has to go to the forest or mountains and undergo severe austerities and penances
- This great sage incarnation of Godhead, Narayana Rsi, has been undergoing great penances, austerities from the very beginning of the creation to teach the inhabitants of Bharata-varsa how to attain the highest perfectional stage of going back to God
- This is confirmed in the Srimad-Bhagavatam, "If Hari, the Supreme Lord, is worshiped, adored and loved by a person, it should be understood that the person has finished all kinds of austerities, penances and similar processes for self realization"
- Those who are sinful persons, they cannot become so much purified by observing austerity, penances, celibacy, as one can become completely freed from sinful reaction by becoming devotee
- Those who know the science of Krsna consciousness automatically know of subsidiary subjects like fruitive activity, speculative knowledge, yoga, charity, penance, austerity, and chanting mantras
- Those who perform severe austerities and penances, those who give away all their possessions out of charity, those who are very famous for their auspicious activity are not able to obtain any auspicious results
- Those who undergo severe austerities and penances not recommended in the scriptures, performing them out of pride and egoism, are to be known as demons
- Those who undergo severe austerities and penances not recommended in the scriptures, performing them out of pride and egoism, who are impelled by lust and attachment, who are foolish and who torture the material elements of the body are known to be demons
- Throughout the entire universe Krsna is the supreme enjoyer and beneficiary of all kinds of sacrifices, penances and austerities, which should be performed only to attain His devotional service
- To become God conscious, Krsna conscious, is not very cheap thing. It requires a great amount of austerity, penance to come to this stage. So never be disappointed that because people are not responding
- To become successful in any attempt, one not only has to undergo severe penances and austerities, but also must be dependent on the mercy of the Supreme Personality of Godhead
- To come to the right conclusion, sankhya-yogis undergo severe austerities and penances, practicing control of the senses and renunciation
- To create different planetary systems I (Brahma) had to undergo austerities and penance, and the Lord, thus being pleased with me, incarnated in four sanas (Sanaka, Sanat-kumara, Sanandana and Sanatana)
- To exhibit His personal way of austerity and penance, He (the Personality of Godhead) appeared in twin forms as Narayana and Nara in the womb of Murti, the wife of Dharma and the daughter of Daksa
- To get out of this false struggle for existence and become happy in the material world, one has to control the mind and senses and be detached from material conditions. One should never neglect austerities and penances; one should always perform them
- Try to spread this Krsna consciousness movement. And this is your sadhana, execution of austerity, penance. Because you have to meet so many opposing elements. You have to fight with them. That is tapasya
- Vasudeva was Prsni in his former life, and Devaki was Sutapa. Sutapa. Sutapa means one who can perform austerities and penance very nicely. Su means nicely, and tapah
- Visvamitra, the son of Maharaja Gadhi, was as powerful as the flames of fire. From the position of a ksatriya, he achieved the position of a powerful brahmana by undergoing penances and austerities
- We are not master; still, we are trying to become master. The Mayavada philosophy, they also undergo severe type of austerities, penances, but what is the idea? The idea is that "I shall become one with God." Same mistake
- We elevate foreigners, who are supposed to be mlecchas and yavanas, to the position of brahmanas. We train them in austerities and penances and recognize them as brahmanas by awarding them sacred threads
- We train them in austerities and penances and recognize them as brahmanas by awarding them sacred threads. Thus the caste brahmanas of India are very displeased by our activities in the Western world
- When a country is subjugated by an undesirable government, persons and parties undergo severe penances and austerities to get control of the government, and when they attain control, they flourish by giving themselves generous salaries
- When all these Pracetas were ordered by their father to marry and beget children, they all entered the ocean and practiced austerities and penances for ten thousand years. Thus they worshiped the master of all austerity, the Supreme Personality of Godhead
- When one is actually able to maintain the transcendental position, his stage is called neutrality in devotional service. Some great sages have attained this neutral position by practicing austerity, penance and meditation to control the senses
- When situated in the material quality of goodness, one tries to purify himself by performing various penances and austerities. When one reaches the platform of a real brahmana, he aspires to merge into the existence of the Lord
- When some great saintly persons who had undergone penances and austerities saw the four-handed transcendental form of Visnu, they began to remark as follows
- When they become absorbed in thoughts of material enjoyment, Lord Brahma and Lord Siva, as well as other demigods and demons, undergo severe penances and austerities to receive my (Laksmidevi) benedictions
- When we are put into difficulties while discharging Krishna Conscious duties, it is to be understood that Krishna puts us in a field of austerities and penances which help us making progress towards realization of our goal of life
- While performing fruitive activities one can become free from the actions of sinful life through austerity, penance, celibacy, control of the mind and senses, truthfulness and the practice of mystic yoga
- Without austerity and penance and without sacrificing one's riches, one cannot achieve the mercy of the Supreme Lord