Collaborate with us to invoke and fully manifest Srila Prabhupada's Vani-presence.
wrestle | wrestled | wrestler | wrestlers | wrestling
This category has the following 3 subcategories, out of 3 total.
Pages in category "Wrestle"
The following 48 pages are in this category, out of 48 total.
- A wrestler of the name Sala came forward, and Krsna immediately cracked his head with a kick. A wrestler named Tosala came forward and was killed in the same way
- After Kamsa's wrestlers expressed their determination, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, the killer of Madhu, confronted Canura, and Lord Balarama, the son of Rohini, confronted Mustika
- After taking Their baths and finishing all other morning duties, Krsna and Balarama could hear the beating of the kettledrums in the wrestling arena. They immediately prepared Themselves to proceed to the spot to see the fun
- After the two wrestlers were killed, a wrestler named Kuta came forward. Lord Balarama immediately caught him in His left hand and killed him nonchalantly
- Another example of being stunned took place when Krsna was surrounded by various wrestlers in the sacrificial arena of Kamsa. His mother, Devaki,* then became stunned, and her eyes dried up when she saw Krsna amongst the wrestlers
- Another lady said, "Don't you see how the face of Lord Balarama has turned especially beautiful? There is a reddish hue on His white face because He is engaged in a strenuous wrestling match with Mustika"
- As Kamsa saw various signs of death while both awake and sleeping, he could understand that death was certain, and thus in great anxiety he could not rest that night. Just after the night expired, he busily arranged for the wrestling match
- Being compassionate and favoring Krsna and Balarama, the many ladies in the audience began to talk as follows, "Dear friends, there is injustice here." Another said, "Even in front of the King this wrestling is going on between incompatible sides"
- Being enlivened by the musical concert, they (the wrestlers) passed through with great alacrity. All the respectable cowherd men who came from Vrndavana, headed by Nanda, were also welcomed by Kamsa
- Kamsa began to think in perplexity, "Shall I go immediately and surrender unto Him? But how can a great warrior do this?" The next moment he thought, "Why should I be afraid of Him? There are still so many wrestlers standing to support me"
- Kamsa called for his expert elephant trainers, as well as for the wrestlers Canura, Mustika, Sala, Tosala, etc., & he told them, “My dear friends, try to hear me attentively. At Nanda's place in Vrndavana there are two brothers, Krsna & Balarama
- Kamsa said, "If somehow or other Krsna & Balarama escape, They will next meet the wrestlers & will be killed by them. That is my plan. & after killing these two boys, I shall kill Vasudeva & Nanda, who are supporters of the Vrsni and Bhoja dynasties"
- Kamsa said, "My dear sister, having seen your dear son Krsna, I think that He is so strong that He can kill even wrestlers strong as the mountains"
- Kamsa told the wrestlers, "People from different parts of the country will come to see the festival. I will arrange to get those two boys (Krsna and Balarama) here, and you will try to kill Them in the wrestling arena"
- Kamsa told the wrestlers, "They (Krsna and Balarama) are actually two sons of Vasudeva. As you know, I have been destined to be killed by Krsna; there is a prophecy to this effect. Now I am requesting you to arrange for a wrestling match
- Krsna continued, "This offer of wrestling is a great favor of his, but the fact is that We (Krsna and Balarama) are simply boys. We sometimes play in the forest of Vrndavana with Our friends who are Our own age"
- Krsna thus indicated that the celebrated, strong wrestlers should not challenge Krsna and Balarama to fight
- Nanda continued, "If Krsna were not a great personality, how could He have killed Kamsa, who possessed the strength of ten thousand elephants? Besides Kamsa, there were the very strong wrestlers, as well as the giant elephant Kuvalayapida"
- Narada Muni said, "My dear Lord (Krsna), I am therefore sure that the day after tomorrow I shall see demons like Canura, Mustika and the other wrestlers and elephants, as well as Kamsa himself, killed by You. I shall see this with my own eyes"
- Sometimes important landlords and kings keep wrestlers with whom they practice mock fighting, and Visnu makes similar arrangements
- Sometimes Krsna would take a palm fan and fan the body of Balarama, causing a pleasing breeze to relieve Him of His fatigue. Other boys would sometimes dance or sing while Balarama took rest, and sometimes they would wrestle amongst themselves or jump
- Sometimes they used to snatch His clothing or snatch away the flowers from His hands. Sometimes one would try to induce another to decorate his body for him, and failing this, they were ready to fight, challenging one another to combat in wrestling
- The audience in the wrestling arena was not very much satisfied because the combatants did not appear to be equally matched. They considered Krsna and Balarama to be mere boys before Canura and Mustika
- The cowherd boys walked into the midst of newly grown leaves of trees whose flowers resembled peacock feathers. They were garlanded by those flowers and decorated with saffron chalk. They were dancing and singing and sometimes wrestling with one another
- The famous wrestler Canura then began to talk with Krsna and Balarama. "My dear Krsna and Balarama," he said, "we have heard about Your past activities. You are great heroes, and therefore the King has called You"
- The Gurukula and poor feeding programs should be developed and it will make us very popular. The wrestling is all right. The program for Nitai Cand to visit the villages and preach and make men join is very good
- The King then arranged for big wrestlers to try to pull the car, and even the King himself joined in, but the car could not be moved
- The ladies continued, "Those taking part in watching this wrestling match are not very much enlightened; therefore whether they speak or remain silent, they are being subjected to the reactions of sinful activities"
- The wrestling arena was nicely cleansed and decorated with flags, festoons and flowers, and the match was announced by the beating of kettledrums. The platform appeared very beautiful due to streamers and flags
- There was picking up, dragging and pushing, and then the legs and hands were locked together. All the arts of wrestling were perfectly exhibited by the parties as each tried his best to defeat his opponent
- Thus all the great wrestlers were killed by Krsna and Balarama, and the remaining wrestlers fled from the assembly out of fear for their lives
- Thus appreciated differently by different kinds of people present, Krsna entered the wrestling arena with Balarama and His cowherd boyfriends
- When everything was complete, the wrestlers who were to exhibit their skills before the assembly walked into the arena. They were decorated with nice ornaments and dress. Some of the famous wrestlers were Canura, Mustika, Sala, Kuta and Tosala
- When Krsna and Balarama reached the gate of the wrestling arena, They saw a big elephant of the name Kuvalayapida being tended by a caretaker riding on its head. The caretaker was deliberately blocking Their entrance
- When Krsna was present in the sacrificial arena of His enemy King Kamsa, the wrestlers present, although appreciating the softness of the body of Sri Krsna, were afraid and perturbed when they thought of engaging with Him in battle
- While they (the citizens of Mathura) were thus talking about the activities of Krsna and Balarama, they heard the vibrations of different bands announcing the wrestling match
- Wrestling matches are still enjoyed by people in northern India, & it appears from the statements of Srimad-Bhagavatam that five thousand years ago wrestling was popular. Kamsa planned to arrange such a wrestling competition & to invite people to visit