Pages in category "Sati Rite"
The following 12 pages are in this category, out of 12 total.
- In a later age, this sati rite became an obnoxious criminal affair because the ceremony was forced upon even an unwilling woman
- In the Vedic culture there is a system known as sati or saha-marana, in which a woman dies with her husband. According to this system, if the husband dies, the wife will voluntarily die by falling in the blazing funeral pyre of her husband
- In this fallen age it is not possible for any lady to follow the sati rite as chastely as it was done by Gandhari and others in past ages
- This entering of a chaste lady into the fire of her dead husband is called the sati rite, and the action is considered to be most perfect for a woman
- Two co-wives, namely Kunti and Madri, decided that Kunti should live for the maintenance of the five minor children, the Pandavas, and Madri should accept the sati rituals by meeting voluntary death along with her husband