"great soul"|"great souls"|"great soul's"
Subcategories Pages in category
This category has the following 6 subcategories, out of 6 total.
- ► Aryan (1 C, 65 P)
- ► Devotees of God Are All Great Souls (1 P)
- ► Great-souled Devotees of God (1 P)
Pages in category "Great Souls"
The following 158 pages are in this category, out of 158 total.
- A conditioned soul tries to enjoy material happiness again and again. Thus he chews the chewed. But sometimes, in the course of such enjoyment, he becomes relieved from material entanglement by association with a great soul
- A great soul may forgive offenses, but Krsna does not excuse offenses to the dust of that great soul's feet, just as one can tolerate the scorching sunshine on one's head but cannot tolerate the scorching sunshine on one's feet
- A mahatma, or great soul, is very rarely seen because such transcendental realization is achieved only after many, many births. Once it is attained, however, there is no longer any illusion or lamentation or the miseries of material existence
- A man becomes the greatest soul by accepting the goodness of others' qualities, but by unnecessarily considering others' good qualities to be bad, you (Daksa) have become the lowest of the fallen souls
- Acts of sacrifice, charity and penance are not to be given up but should be performed. Indeed, sacrifice, charity and penance purify even the great souls. BG 18.5 - 1972
- Actually a person is wise when he surrenders unto the lotus feet of Krsna, but such a mahatma, great soul, is very rare
- After attaining Me (Krsna), the great souls, who are yogis in devotion, never return to this temporary world, which is full of miseries, because they have attained the highest perfection
- After attaining Me, the great souls, who are yogis in devotion, never return to this temporary world, which is full of miseries, because they have attained the highest perfection
- After attaining Me, the great souls, who are yogis in devotion, never return to this temporary world, which is full of miseries, because they have attained the highest perfection. BG 8.15 - 1972
- After many births and deaths, he who is actually in knowledge surrenders unto Me, knowing Me to be the cause of all causes and all that is. Such a great soul is very rare
- After many births and deaths, he who is actually in knowledge surrenders unto Me, knowing Me to be the cause of all causes and all that is. Such a great soul is very rare. BG 7.19 - 1972
- After many, many births of worshiping Brahman and Paramatma, when one surrenders unto Vasudeva as the supreme master and accepts himself as the eternal servant of Vasudeva, he becomes a great transcendentally realized soul
- All great souls aspire to be equal in knowledge with Him (Krsna). This means that all other knowledge is ever insufficient, flexible and measurable, whereas the knowledge of the Lord is ever fixed and unfathomable
- All these nondevotees and debauchees are, according to Visvanatha Cakravarti, duratmas, or crooked souls in the dress of mahatmas, or great souls
- Also, please describe the inner and outer space of the universe by specific divisions, as well as the character and activities of the great souls, and also the characteristics of the different classifications of the castes and orders of social life
- Although both Uddhava and Maitreya were great souls, the Lord's attention was more on Uddhava because he was a spotlessly pure devotee
- Although he (Priyavrata) was a great soul, he appeared lost in the feminine conduct of his wife. He behaved with her just like an ordinary man, but actually he was a great soul
- Although Lord Siva is the greatest of all great souls, mahatmas, he keeps on his head the purifying water of the Ganges, which emanates from a hole in this material universe made by the toe of Lord Visnu
- Although no one in the material world is equal to or greater than Siva & although his unimpeachable character is followed by great souls to dismantle the mass of nescience, he nevertheless remains as if a devil to give salvation to all devotees of Lord
- Although Sukadeva Gosvami was a liberated soul from the very day of his birth, he still had to take lessons of Srimad-Bhagavatam from his great father, Vyasadeva, who compiled the Srimad-Bhagavatam under the instruction of another great soul, Narada Muni
- Although the great soul Jada Bharata was unfit for such work, they nonetheless unhesitatingly forced him to carry the palanquin
- An offender glides down more and more; therefore he naturally continues to commit offenses at the feet of the great soul
- Anyone who has understood that the material worlds are places of misery and temporaryness, they never return here again, and because they are mahatmanah, the great souls, Krishna keeps them with Him, having qualified themselves to escape this nasty place
- Arjuna was a great soul undoubtedly, which is proved here also
- At the last stage of his life, when Maharaja Prthu saw himself getting old, that great soul, who was king of the world, divided whatever opulence he had accumulated amongst all kinds of living entities, moving and nonmoving
- BG says, "O son of Prtha, those who are not deluded, the great souls, are under the protection of the divine nature. They are fully engaged in devotional service because they know Me as the Supreme Personality of Godhead, original and inexhaustible"
- Bhagavad-Gita says, "O son of Prtha, those who are not deluded, the great souls, are under the protection of the divine nature. They are fully engaged in devotional service because they know Me as the S P of Godhead, original and inexhaustible"
- By her feminine behavior as she dressed herself, walked, got up, smiled, laughed, and glanced about, Queen Barhismati increased his (Maharaja Priyavrata's) energy. Thus although he was a great soul, he appeared lost in the feminine conduct of his wife
- By insulting a great soul, one has to forego all the results of pious acts and benedictions also
- By the blessings of a great soul one becomes materially opulent, but when one gives up attachment to material wealth, that should be considered an even greater blessing from the great souls
- Even by conversing with such great souls, one can without delay cleanse oneself of all disqualifications resulting from lower births
- Exactly as Saunaka Rsi inquired of Suta Gosvami and Suta Gosvami replied, so Srila Sukadeva Gosvami replied to King Pariksit's inquiries. The King was very anxious to understand the meaningful discussion that took place between the two great souls
- For a great soul like Vasudeva, there is nothing considered to be painful in the course of discharging one's duty. A learned person like Vasudeva carries out his duties without hesitation
- For evidence, please listen to the examples described in the revealed scriptures, which are corroborated by the realization of great souls
- He (Bhismadeva) prepared himself to quit his body before the exalted Lord Sri Krsna, the pious Pandavas and the great sages headed by Bhagavan Vyasa, etc., all great souls
- He (Duryodhana) could not accept the sound advice of Vidura, but on the contrary he insulted that great soul, who was the well-wisher of his whole family. Vidura could understand this because he was a pure devotee of the Lord
- He (Sri Suta Goswami) had the double association of great souls by hearing and preaching. Transcendental science, or the science of Krsna, has to be learned from the authorities, and when one preaches the science, he becomes still more qualified
- He (Yayati) reached the heavenly planets by dint of his pious acts, but he fell down from there because of his self-advertisement and criticizing other great souls
- He (Yudhisthira) was sorry for the separation of a great soul, and not for the material body which Bhismadeva relinquished
- His (Lord Siva) unimpeachable character is followed by great souls to dismantle the mass of nescience, he nevertheless remains as if a devil to give salvation to all devotees of the Lord
- His (Prahlada Maharaja's) attachment to Lord Krsna was natural because of his previous devotional service. Although his good qualities cannot be enumerated, they prove that he was a great soul (mahatma)
- I (Uttanapada) am very much addicted to my wife, and I am so fallen that I have abandoned all merciful behavior, even to my son (Dhruva), who is only five years old. I have banished him and his mother, even though he is a great soul and a great devotee
- If endowment of powers and withdrawal of powers by the Lord are possible even for a great devotee like Arjuna, or even the demigods in heaven, then what to speak of the ordinary living beings who are but figs compared to such great souls
- If one wants to be liberated from the clutches of material existence, then one has to associate with great souls, and if one wants to continue one's material existential life, then one may associate with persons who are materialistic
- In Bhagavad-gita it is confirmed that the mahatmas, or great souls, are under the protection of daivi prakrti, the internal energy - Radharani
- It is said in Srimad-Bhagavatam that if one gets an opportunity to serve a great soul - a mahatma - his path to liberation is open. However, those who are attached to materialistic persons are on the path of darkness
- It was astonishing that Daksa, who was Prajapati, the maintainer of all living entities, was so disrespectful to his own daughter, Sati, who was not only chaste but was also a great soul, that she gave up her body because of his neglect
- It would be better to live in this world by begging than to live at the cost of the lives of great souls who are my (Arjuna) teachers. Even though desiring worldly gain, they are superiors. If they are killed, everything we enjoy will be tainted
- It's better to live in this world by begging than to live at the cost of the lives of great souls who're my teachers. Even though they are avaricious, they're nonetheless superiors. If they are killed, our spoils will be tainted with blood. BG 2.5 - 1972
- Just like the jet plane takes the friendly sky. So we have to take the friendly energy, the spiritual energy. Mahatma, those who are mahatma, great souls, they take shelter of the nature where there is no more cloud
- Just to see the chief of the descendants of King Bharata (Bhisma), all the great souls in the universe, namely the rsis amongst the demigods, brahmanas and kings, all situated in the quality of goodness, were assembled there
- King Anga was very gentle. He had high character and was a saintly personality and lover of brahminical culture. How is it that such a great soul got a bad son like Vena, because of whom he became indifferent to his kingdom and left it?
- King Pariksit said: O Sukadeva Gosvami, why did Vasistha, the spiritual master of Saudasa, curse that great soul? I wish to know of this. If it is not a confidential matter, please describe it to me
- King Prthu said: O gentle members of the assembly, may all good fortune be upon you! May all of you great souls who have come to attend this meeting kindly hear my prayer attentively
- King Prthu was greater than the greatest soul and was therefore worshipable by everyone. He performed many glorious activities in ruling over the surface of the world and was always magnanimous
- Krsna continued, "By worshiping all the elements and their predominating deities, one can gradually become free from the influence of envy, but all the sins of an envious person can be nullified immediately simply by serving a great soul"
- Krsna is the shelter of all great souls, and He is also the shelter of the material worlds. For one who is on the platform of Krsna consciousness, Vaikuntha, or the spiritual world, is not far away. He does not live within the material world
- Krsna said, "Even though they are trees and animals, these residents of Vrndavana are glorifying You. They are prepared to welcome You to the best of their ability, as is the practice of great souls in receiving another great soul at home"
- Long life, obedience, good reputation, righteousness, prospects of being promoted to higher planets, and blessings of great personalities are all vanquished simply by disobedience to a great soul
- Lord Narayana then told Lord Siva, "My dear lord, a person who commits an offense to great souls cannot continue to exist"
- Lord Siva said: My dear beautiful Parvati, have you seen the greatness of the Vaisnavas? Being servants of the servants of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Hari, they are great souls and are not interested in any kind of material happiness
- Maharaja Pariksit is not satisfied with only material knowledge. He is inquisitive about the character and activities of the great souls, the devotees of the Lord
- Maharaja Priyavrata behaved with her (his wife, Queen Barhismati) just like an ordinary man, but actually he was a great soul
- Mahat-seva means if you, by chance, you get in contact of a great personality, great soul who knows Krsna science, you just try to please him. Therefore we, every day in the morning, we sing yasya prasadad bhagavat-prasadah
- Maitreya told Vidura: O great soul, from Dambha and Maya were born Greed and Nikrti, or Cunning. From their combination came children named Krodha (Anger) and Himsa (Envy), and from their combination were born Kali and his sister Durukti (Harsh Speech)
- Men in ignorance understand a great soul to be a common man and accept a common man as a great soul. They think truth to be untruth and accept untruth as truth
- My dear King, when a man persecutes great souls, all his benedictions of longevity, beauty, fame, religion, blessings and promotion to higher planets will be destroyed
- Nabhaga's father continued: "Go to those great souls and describe two Vedic hymns pertaining to Vaisvadeva. When the great sages have completed the sacrifice and are going to the heavenly planets, they will give you the remnants of the money
- Now it appears that even the celestial denizens speak lies. Because I (Kamsa) believed in the words of the celestial denizens, I have committed so many sins by killing the children of my sister. My dear Vasudeva and Devaki, you are both very great souls
- O great soul (Vidura)! Does He (Krsna) ever talk about us (Radharani and the gopis), His maidservants? When will He lay on our heads His aguru-scented hand?
- O great souls, I have heard that among the great & perfect persons wandering the surface of the earth to instruct knowledge to people covered by ignorance are Sanat-kumara, Narada, Rbhu, Angira, Devala, Asita, Vyasadeva, Markandeya, Gautama, Vasistha
- O great souls, I have heard that among the great and perfect persons wandering the surface of the earth to instruct knowledge to people covered by ignorance are Bhagavan Parasurama, Kapila, Sukadeva, Durvasa, Yajnavalkya, Jatukarna and Aruni
- O great souls, I have heard that among the great and perfect persons wandering the surface of the earth to instruct knowledge to people covered by ignorance are Pancasikha, Hiranyanabha, Kausalya, Srutadeva and Rtadhvaja. You must certainly be among them
- O great souls, I have heard that among the great and perfect persons wandering the surface of the earth to instruct knowledge to people covered by ignorance are Romasa, Cyavana, Dattatreya, Asuri, Patanjali, the great sage Dhaumya
- O master of speech, by your effulgence, full of religious principles, the darkness of the world is dissipated, and the knowledge of learned persons or great souls is manifested
- O son of Prtha, those who are not deluded, the great souls, are under the protection of the divine nature. They are fully engaged in devotional service because they know Me as the Supreme Personality of Godhead, original and inexhaustible. BG 9.13 - 1972
- On account of his association with mahatmas, or great souls one hundred percent in the devotional service of the Lord, one may attain a little bit of attraction for Sri Krsna
- One becomes a mahat by the grace of his mahat spiritual master. If one takes shelter of the lotus feet of a great soul, there is every possibility of one's also becoming a great soul
- One can find many great souls amongst yogis and jnanis, but a truly great soul, a pure devotee of the Lord, who is fully surrendered to the Lord, is very rarely found
- One should not be satisfied, however, merely by visiting the places of pilgrimage and performing one's prescribed duties; he should be eager to meet the great souls who are already there, engaged in the service of the Lord
- One should strictly try to follow in the footsteps of great souls. Vena became a king, undoubtedly due to his past deeds of righteousness, but because he willfully neglected great souls, he was punished by the loss of all the above-mentioned acquisitions
- One should try to raise himself by the association of the great soul. That is the way of the perfection of life
- Out of them (the two bodies that came out from the body of Brahma), the one who had the male form became known as the Manu named Svayambhuva, and the woman became known as Satarupa, the queen of the great soul Manu
- Out of them (the two forms generated from Brahma's body), the one who had the male form became known as the Manu named Svayambhuva, and the woman became known as Satarupa, the queen of the great soul Manu
- Passing away of the great warrior (Bhismadeva) attracted the attention of all the contemporary elites, and all of them assembled there to show their feelings of love, respect and affection for the great soul
- Persons who are desiring to become great souls cannot be without any of the above qualities, so we can know for certain that these qualities are found in Lord Krsna, the supreme soul
- Prahlada Maharaja is the greatest of the great souls
- Rukmini continued, "Actually, I followed all these great souls. I followed the path of these great beggars and decided to surrender my life unto Your (Krsna's) lotus feet"
- Rukmini continued, "They (beggars) are all great souls and devotees who have no other business than to glorify You. Such great souls forgive even the worst offenders"
- Rukmini continued, "You (Krsna) have said that You are penniless, & that is correct, for You distribute Yourself completely to these great souls & devotees. Knowing this fact perfectly well, I rejected even such great personalities as Brahma and Indra"
- Sanjaya said: My dear descendant of the Kuru dynasty (Yudhisthira), I have no information of the determination of your two uncles and Gandhari. O King, I have been cheated by those great souls
- Since everyone is trying to present his own point of view and reject others, it is very difficult to understand the necessity for religious principles. Therefore it is better to follow in the footsteps of the great mahajanas, great souls
- Siva is described herein as the best of all great souls. Although Sati's body was born of Daksa, Lord Siva used to adore her by sitting her on his lap. This is considered a great token of respect. Thus Sati's body was not ordinary
- So he (the brahmana) was not at all sorry for his poor material position, and he used to live very peacefully. He was very openhearted, and sometimes he went to hear some lectures delivered by great realized souls
- Sometimes a mundane worker is misunderstood to be a tapasvi (renunciant) or a mahatma (great soul) because of the many austerities he performs to attain his mundane goals
- Sukadeva answered Pariksit, "He himself was also a great soul and was known popularly as Mucukunda. King Mucukunda was a strict follower of the Vedic principles of brahminical culture, and he was truthful to his promise"
- Sukadeva Gosvami addresses Pariksit Maharaj there and says, "The great soul of King Bharata was so much attached to the service of the lotus feet of Krsna"
- Sukadeva Gosvami said, "My dear King Pariksit, your grandfather King Yudhisthira was a great soul. His congenial disposition attracted everyone to be his friend, and therefore he was known as ajata-satru, one who never created an enemy"
- Sukadeva Gosvami said: When the supreme, ancient, eternal PG had thus spoken to Bali Maharaja, who is universally accepted as a pure devotee of the Lord and therefore a great soul, Bali Maharaja, his eyes filled with tears, responded as follows
- Suta Gosvami said: Although Krsna, who was examining Arjuna in religion, encouraged Arjuna to kill the son of Dronacarya, Arjuna, a great soul, did not like the idea of killing him, although Asvatthama was a heinous murderer of Arjuna's family members
- That great souls cheat others may be astonishing to know, but it is a fact that great souls cheat others for a great cause. It is said that Lord Krsna also advised Yudhisthira to tell a lie before Dronacarya, and it was also for a great cause
- The Bhagavatam always recommends the association of the mahat, or the great soul, for opening the gate of salvation
- The fortunate King said: Indeed, we are the most grateful of all the kings who are trained to get favors from the great souls. Generally you (sages) consider royalty as refuse to be rejected and left in a distant place
- The good King (Yudhisthira) inquired: O great souls, will he become as saintly a king, as pious in his very name and as famous and glorified in his achievements, as others who appeared in this great royal family?
- The great saint Narada Muni continued: The great soul Prahlada Maharaja became silent after saying this to his teachers, Sanda and Amarka, the seminal sons of Sukracarya
- The great soul Bali Maharaja became a disciple of Sukracarya and began to serve him with great faith, offering everything he had
- The great soul Bali Maharaja, thinking himself very satisfied, became very opulent and prosperous and began to enjoy the kingdom because of the favor of the brahmanas
- The great souls expert in describing Srimad-Bhagavatam have very diligently delineated the other nine categories, sometimes by direct narrations and sometimes by indirect narrations such as stories
- The highest Vedantist is the great soul who takes pleasure in chanting the holy name of the Lord. That is the ultimate purpose of all Vedic mysticism
- The King replied: O great soul, Narada, my intelligence is entangled in fruitive activities; therefore I do not know the ultimate goal of life. Kindly instruct me in pure knowledge so that I can get out of the entanglement of fruitive activities
- The mahatmas, great souls, strictly observe all these rules and regulations, and therefore they are sure to achieve the desired result
- The pure devotees of the Lord take shelter of the para prakrti, the internal potency of the Lord called Laksmidevi, Sitadevi, Srimati Radharani or Srimati Rukminidevi, and thus they become actual mahatmas, or great souls
- The purport of this song (from Gitavali by Bhaktivinoda Thakura) is that Narada Muni, the great soul, plays a stringed instrument called a vina, vibrating the sound radhika-ramana, which is another name for Krsna
- The self-controlled great soul Dhruva Maharaja thus passed many, many years favorably executing three kinds of worldly activities, namely religiosity, economic development and satisfaction of all material desires
- The supreme planet is described in Vedic literature as avyakta and aksara and parama gati; in other words, that planet is beyond our material vision, and it is inexplicable, but it is the highest goal, the destination for the mahatmas (great souls)
- The symptoms of mahatma, great soul. So the first symptom is that he is equal to everyone, sama-cittah. And the next qualification is prasanta. Prasanta means pacified. He's not disturbed by any material anxiety
- The transactions of the spiritual world are inconceivable to us in our present state of life. Great liberated souls like Rupa Gosvami and others have tried to give us some hints of transcendental activities in the spiritual world
- The water of this lake was so calm and quiet that it seemed like the mind of a great soul, and its inhabitants, the aquatics, appeared very peaceful and happy to be under the protection of such a watery reservoir
- The wife of Dronacarya, who was the half body of the great soul, must be treated with compassion, and she should not be put into grief because of her son's death. That is compassion
- The yogi sees all the planets of the universe burning to ashes, and thus he leaves for Satyaloka by airplanes used by the great purified souls
- The yogi sees all the planets of the universe burning to ashes, and thus he leaves for Satyaloka by airplanes used by the great purified souls. The duration of life in Satyaloka is calculated to be 15,480,000,000,000 years
- There are many instances of great souls' leaving home in this way (like King Anga) in the dead of night, giving up attachment for home, wife and money
- They (Hiranyaksa and Hiranyakasipu) will kill poor, faultless living entities, torture women and enrage the great souls
- This is confirmed in the Bhagavad-gita, wherein the Lord says that after many, many births, a great soul, or mahatma, surrenders unto the Lord, knowing well that Vasudeva, Krsna, is the cause of all causes
- This passing away of the great warrior (Bhismadeva) attracted the attention of all the contemporary elites, and all of them assembled there to show their feelings of love, respect and affection for the great soul
- This service attitude (render loving service physically and mentally without reservation) will induce the great souls to be more favorable in bestowing their mercy, which injects the neophyte with all the transcendental qualities of the pure devotees
- Those who are actually great souls (mahatmas) are fully absorbed in Krsna consciousness, always engaged in the service of the Lord. They are under the care of daivi-prakrti, or yogamaya
- Those who are great souls or great devotees do not act under the spell of material energy, but act instead under the protection of the spiritual energy
- Two sections of transcendental knowledge in devotional service become revealed to a person surrendered unto Vasudeva; as it is said in the Bhagavad-gita (BG 7.19), such a great soul, fully surrendered unto the lotus feet of Vasudeva, is very, very rare
- Under strict guidance of the great souls and spiritual injunctions, such great saintly kings were trained up, and as a result the kingdom was full of saintly persons and was a happy land of spiritual life
- Unfortunately, you have found fault with such a great soul
- Uttanapada replied: I have banished him (Dhruva) and his mother, even though he is a great soul and a great devotee
- Vedanta is the last word in Vedic wisdom, and the author and knower of the Vedanta philosophy is Lord Krsna; and the highest Vedantist is the great soul who takes pleasure in chanting the holy name of the Lord
- Vidura inquired from the sage Maitreya: My dear brahmana, King Anga was very gentle. He had high character and was a saintly personality and lover of brahminical culture. How is it that such a great soul got a bad son like Vena
- We can understand that a mahat, or a great soul, is completely free from association of women. He is mahat. Therefore generally a spiritual master is selected amongst the renounced order of life, sannyasi
- We had the opportunity to meet an avowed brahmacari in the personality of our spiritual master, Om Visnupada Sri Srimad Bhaktisiddhanta Gosvami Maharaja. Such a great soul is called a naisthika-brahmacari
- When a man persecutes great souls, all his benedictions of longevity, beauty, fame, religion, blessings and promotion to higher planets will be destroyed
- When a person mistreats great souls, his life span, opulence, reputation, religion, possessions and good fortune are all destroyed
- When an intelligent man surrenders unto the lotus feet of Krsna and knows completely that Krsna is the cause of all causes, as confirmed in BG, then only can such an intelligent man become a mahatma, or great soul. But such a great soul is rarely seen
- When he saw Indra's carrier elephant thus fatigued and injured and when he saw Indra morose because his carrier had been harmed in that way, the great soul Vrtrasura, following religious principles, refrained from again striking Indra with the club
- When King Rahugana expressed surprise upon seeing Bharata's spiritual achievements, Bharata replied: "My dear Rahugana, no one can attain the perfected stage of devotional service without being favored by a great soul, a pure devotee"
- When one mistreats great souls, his life span, opulence, reputation, religion, possessions and good fortune are all destroyed
- When the priests and all the others saw Maharaja Prthu very angry and prepared to kill Indra, they requested him: O great soul, do not kill him, for only sacrificial animals can be killed in a sacrifice. Such are the directions given by sastra
- While the sage (Kardama Muni) stood looking on, the Lord left by the pathway leading to Vaikuntha, a path extolled by all great liberated souls
- While the sage stood looking on, the Lord left by the pathway leading to Vaikuntha, a path extolled by all great liberated souls