Subcategories Pages in category
This category has the following 10 subcategories, out of 10 total.
- ► Devoid (12 C, 163 P)
- ► God Is Devoid (2 C, 8 P)
- ► Krsna Is Devoid (2 C)
- ► Radharani's Feeling Bereft (2 P)
Pages in category "Bereft"
The following 155 pages are in this category, out of 155 total.
- A person who accepts the path of devotional service is not bereft of the results derived from studying the Vedas, performing austere sacrifices, giving charity or pursuing philosophical and fruitive activities. BG 8.28 - 1972
- A person who accepts the path of devotional service is not bereft of the results derived from studying the Vedas, performing sacrifices, undergoing austerities, giving charity or pursuing philosophical and fruitive activities
- According to Bhagavad-gita, because the leaders of society are bereft of all factual knowledge due to their atheistic way of life, they are actually sinful rascals and are the lowest among men
- Aditi was arta, a person in distress. She was very much aggrieved because her sons, the demigods, were bereft of everything. Thus she wanted to take shelter of the Supreme Personality of Godhead under the direction of her husband, Kasyapa Muni
- All the cities, villages, towns, gardens, mines and hermitages are now devoid of beauty and bereft of all happiness. I (Yudhisthira Maharaja) do not know what sort of calamities are now awaiting us
- Although bereft of his riches, fallen from his original position, defeated and arrested by his enemies, rebuked and deserted by his relatives and friends, Bali Maharaja, being fixed in his vow, did not give up his truthfulness
- Although born of a brahmana family, this rascal, bereft of intelligence because of the prostitute's association, earned money somehow or other, regardless of whether properly or improperly, and used it to maintain the prostitute's sons and daughters
- Although he (Pariksit) was bereft of his entire kingdom, which spread over all the world, and although he was accepting not even a drop of water in the seven days remaining to him, because he was engaged in hearing the transcendental pastimes of the Lord
- Although you have no knowledge, you have become a so-called learned person, and therefore you dare be so impudent as to disobey my order. Because of disobeying me, you shall very soon be bereft of all your opulence
- Any living entity who forgets his eternal relationship with Krsna is under the sway of the material condition. Bereft of the Lord's transcendental loving service, he is subjected to the reactions of fruitive activity
- Anyone who has accepted Daksa as the most important personality and neglected Lord Siva because of envy is less intelligent and, because of visualizing in duality, will be bereft of transcendental knowledge
- Anyone who worships Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu by congregational chanting should be understood to be very intelligent. One who does not do so must be considered a victim of this age and bereft of all intelligence
- Are you in a sorry plight because the demigods are now bereft of their share of sacrificial offerings because no sacrifices are being performed at present? Or are you grieving for living beings because of their sufferings due to famine and drought?
- Arjuna appeared to be bereft of his bodily luster, and thus the King (Yudhisthira) inquired of his personal welfare and asked so many vital questions
- As far as the Lord's determination is concerned, there is an example in His dealings in the Harivamsa. This is in connection with Lord Krsna's fighting the King of heaven, Indra, who was forcibly bereft of the parijata flower
- As long as materialistic scientists and philosophers do not come to the right conclusion, certainly they will hover above the material field, bereft of proper understanding of the Absolute Truth
- As soon as one become bereft of religion, he's animal. That's all. That is the difference between animals and man. They think to become polished animal is advancement of civilization
- At the present because people are bereft of all knowledge, they spend all their money for the satisfaction of their family
- Bali Maharaja has become the most famous among the demons and nonbelievers, for in spite of being bereft of all material opulences, he is fixed in his devotional service
- Being bereft of his life's reserved wealth, the conditioned soul loses all enthusiasm. Indeed, it is as though he loses his life
- Brahmanas could ordinarily cure all kinds of diseases simply by giving instructions and some medicine. Thus no one was bereft of the benefit of a first-class physician, astrologer and priest - because 500 years ago brahmans were qualified in all those
- By associating with such an unholy person (who is a plaything for women) one becomes bereft of all good qualities, such as fame and forgiveness, control of the mind, control of the senses, and all the opulences that are automatically obtained by a devotee
- By drinking they (the descendants of Vrsni and Bhoja) all became delirious, and, bereft of knowledge, they touched the cores of each other's hearts with harsh words
- By such drinking they (the descendants of Vrsni and Bhoja) became delirious and bereft of sense, so much so that they forgot their relationship with one another and used harsh words which touched the cores of each other's hearts
- Dear Lord, O killer of the demon Madhu, we can now clearly see that Jarasandha was not at fault in the least; it is actually by Your causeless mercy that we were bereft of our kingdoms, for we were very proud of calling ourselves rulers and kings
- Defeated and bereft of all weapons, some of the demigods gave up fighting and praised you with folded hands, and some of them, appearing before you (Kamsa) with loosened garments and hair, said, "O lord, we are very much afraid of you" - SB 10.4.34
- Devahuti became just like a cow who has lost her calf. A cow bereft of her calf cries day and night. Similarly, Devahuti was aggrieved, and she always cried
- Devotee said, "But if I become bereft of His causeless mercy, then even if I became the King of Dvaraka, I would be simply an object for pinpricks"
- Devotees of the demigods ask for benedictions simply for sense gratification, and therefore they have been described in Bhagavad-gita (7.20) as bereft of intelligence
- Dhrtarastra was blind from birth. Unfortunately, he was also bereft of spiritual vision
- Due to his contaminated association with women, a living entity like King Puranjana eternally suffers all the pangs of material existence and remains in the dark region of material life, bereft of all remembrance for many, many years
- Due to the Lord's disappearance, the Deities seem to be crying in the temple, lamenting and perspiring. They seem about to leave. All the cities, villages, towns, gardens, mines and hermitages are now devoid of beauty and bereft of all happiness
- Duryodhana was bereft of his fortune and duration of life because of the intricacy of ill advice given by Karna, Duhsasana and Saubala
- Ghosts are bereft of a physical body because of their grievously sinful acts, such as suicide. The last resort of the ghostly characters in human society is to take shelter of suicide, either material or spiritual
- God has given advanced consciousness to the human being. Therefore he can feel the suffering and happiness of other living beings. The human being bereft of his conscience, however, is prone to cause suffering for other living beings
- Gopinatha Acarya then addressed Sarvabhauma Bhattacarya, "Nonetheless, because you are bereft of even a pinch of the Lord's mercy, you cannot understand Him, even though He is present in your home"
- Gopis inquired from Balarama, "Does Krsna have any plans to come here to see His mother, Yasoda, and does He remember us gopis, who are now pitiably bereft of His company"
- Haridasa Thakura was the crown jewel on the head of this world; without him, this world is now bereft of its valuable jewel
- Having been too much addicted to sex, he (King Puranjana) became very poor in intelligence and lost all his opulence. Being bereft of all possessions, he was conquered forcibly by the Gandharvas and the Yavanas
- He (Krsna) married many thousands of wives, but this does not mean that while He was with one wife the others were bereft of His association. Krsna could associate with each and every wife by His expansions
- He (Sarvajna) had two sons, named Aniruddhera Rupesvara and Harihara, who were both bereft of their kingdoms and thus obliged to reside in the highlands
- His (Krsna's) song is so sweet that even one particle of its sound can inundate the entire world. If such a particle enters one's ear, one is immediately bereft of all other types of hearing
- I (Akrura) am bereft of Your transcendental association, being just like a foolish creature who leaves a water hole covered by water-nourished vegetation and goes in search of water in the desert
- If a venomous serpent is bereft of its poison fangs, it is no longer fearful. Similarly, if the senses are engaged in the service of the Lord, there is no need to fear their activities
- If government men are opposed to a person, that person will be bereft of all his riches, which he has accumulated with great care over a long period of time
- If one offends an exalted personality, especially the Supreme Personality of Godhead, one certainly becomes most abominable; bereft of the results of pious activities, one must fall down like Ravana and other demons
- If one puts into the bondage of karmic activity his disciple, son or citizen who is bereft of transcendental vision, how will one profit? It is like leading a blind man to a dark well and causing him to fall in
- In modern civilization, human society is too busy in discharging national duties. Actually, national duties, social duties and humanitarian duties are obligatory only to those who are bereft of spiritual duties
- In the present day, no one can get justice, medical treatment, astrological help or ecclesiastical enlightenment without money, and since people are generally poor, they are bereft of the benefits of all these great sciences
- Indra, the King of heaven, being too proud of his heavenly opulences, became like a madman. Thus bereft of his intelligence, he could not restrain himself from speaking nonsensically about Krsna
- Indra, you are bereft of all shame, mercy, glory and good fortune. Deprived of these good qualities by the reactions of your fruitive activities, you are to be condemned even by the man-eaters (Raksasas)
- It is the Vedic injunction that whenever there is blasphemy of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, one must immediately leave. If he does not do so, he becomes bereft of his pious activities and is degraded to a lower condition of life
- Kamais tais tair hrta-jnanah: when one is too attached to material enjoyment, he is bereft of all knowledge (hrta jnanah)
- Krsna continued, "Such a person can never be happy under any circumstances; but if one's mind is satisfied, even if he is bereft of all possessions, he can be happy living anywhere"
- Krsna continued, "When My devotee is bereft of all material riches and is deserted by his relatives, friends and family members, because he has no one to look after him he completely takes shelter of the lotus feet of the Lord"
- Krsna was sent by Arjuna into the assembly as the spiritual master of the whole world, & although His words were heard by some (like Bhisma) as pure nectar, it was not so for the others, who were completely bereft of the last farthing of past pious works
- Kuntidevi, while offering prayers to Krsna, addressed Him as akincana-gocara, one who is easily approached by those who are bereft of all material acquisitions
- Let me first offer my respectful obeisances unto Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu, who is the ultimate goal of life for one bereft of all possessions in this material world and is the only meaning for one advancing in spiritual life
- Lord Caitanya next informed Prakasananda that in the modern age people in general are more or less bereft of spiritual intellect
- Lord Krsna could understand that Indra, being bereft of his sacrificial honor, was pouring down rain that was accompanied by heavy pieces of ice and strong winds, although all this was out of season
- Lord Krsna never accepts any offering bereft of love and devotion
- Lord Krsna said, "He (who even wishes to possess property of Brahmana) will be defeated by his enemies, and after being bereft of his royal position, when he gives up his body he will become a serpent, giving trouble to all other living entities"
- Lord Krsna, with His own club, broke the club of Mura to pieces before it could reach Him. The demon, bereft of his weapon, decided to attack Krsna with his strong arms
- Lord Visnu in the dress of a brahmana appeared as a beggar before Bali and snatched away all of his opulence and his kingdom. He did this for the benefit of Indra, who, having been defeated by Bali Maharaja, was bereft of his kingdom
- Mayavadi philosophers are very proud of exhibiting their Vedanta knowledge through grammatical jugglery, but in the Bhagavad-gita Lord Sri Krsna certifies that they are mayayapahrta-jnana, bereft of real knowledge due to maya
- Miscalculation by the nondevotees makes them unfit to receive any direction from within, and therefore they are bereft of the direct cooperation of the Lord
- Mucukunda continued, "Kings and emperors sometimes accept the life of an ascetic to forget their royal life, but by Your special causeless mercy I have already been bereft of royalty. I do not need to become a mendicant or practice renunciation"
- My dear friends, O sons of the demons, it is certain that no one bereft of knowledge of the Supreme Personality of Godhead has been able to liberate himself from material bondage at any time or in any country
- My dear sir, it appears that the influence of your great spiritual knowledge is hidden. Factually you are bereft of all material association & fully absorbed in the thought of the Supreme. Consequently you are unlimitedly advanced in spiritual knowledge
- My dear Thakura Haridasa, in this Age of Kali most people are bereft of Vedic culture, and therefore they are called yavanas. They are concerned only with killing cows and brahminical culture. In this way they all engage in sinful acts
- My lord (Kamsa), my brother, I (Devaki) am very poor, being bereft of all my children, but still I am your younger sister, and therefore it would be worthy of you to give me this last child as a gift - SB 10.4.6
- Nandisvara's curse was that anyone who supported Daksa would be bereft of transcendental knowledge of the soul and thus also be deprived of knowledge of the Supreme Personality of Godhead
- Narada said, "My dear Mukunda, although You are the Supreme Personality of Godhead, the all-powerful person, by making friendship with You the Pandavas have become bereft of their legitimate right to the kingdom of the world"
- Now this same sound vibration has entered my ears, and I am always feeling the presence of the Supreme Personality. Gradually I am becoming bereft of all attachment for material enjoyment
- O King (Yudhisthira), descendant of Ajamidha, at the present moment I (Arjuna) am bereft of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, by whose influence I was so powerful
- O lotus-eyed Lord (Krsna), whenever You go away to Mathura, Vrndavana or Hastinapura to meet Your friends and relatives, every moment of Your absence seems like a million years. O infallible one, at that time our eyes become useless, as if bereft of sun
- Of what use are persons who are puffed up with material opulence and prestige if they are bereft of the association of saintly persons and devotees of the Supreme Personality of Godhead?
- Offering my obeisances unto Caitanya, let me describe a particle of His opulence and sweetness. He is most valuable for a fallen conditioned soul bereft of spiritual knowledge, and He is the only shelter for those who do not know the real goal of life
- On the forest path of material life, first a person is bereft of his father and mother, and after their death he becomes attached to his newly born children. In this way he wanders on the path of material progress and is eventually embarrassed
- One becomes almost blind and is bereft of all sense when he is infuriated by the desire for sense gratification. He forgets everything
- One is bereft of all intelligence when he is too attracted by sense gratification, and he forgets that he has to suffer the consequences also. Here the chance for recounting his activities of sense gratification is given by the dogs engaged by Yamaraja
- One must be considered bereft of the mercy of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu when he criticizes the Krsna consciousness movement now spreading all over the world or finds fault with this movement or the leader of the movement
- One should give up association with a person who is a playmate for women, for by associating with such an unholy person one becomes bereft of all good qualities, such as truthfulness, cleanliness, mercy, gravity, intelligence, shyness, beauty, fame, etc
- One should not at any time associate with a coarse fool who is bereft of the knowledge of self-realization and who is no more than a toy animal in the hands of a woman
- One who diverts his mind to worshiping many demigods to obtain material happiness is considered bereft of intelligence
- One who is not surrendered to the lotus feet of the Lord should be understood to be sinful, foolish, degraded among men and bereft of all real knowledge because of atheistic propensities. This is confirmed in Bhagavad-gita - BG 7.15
- Persons who are bereft of the all-auspicious performance of chanting and hearing about Your transcendental activities are certainly unfortunate and are also bereft of good sense. They engage in inauspicious activities, enjoying SG for a very little while
- Persons who go to the demigods and pray for advancement in sinful activities are considered to be bereft of all intelligence
- Please make the general populace averse to Me by imagining your own interpretation of the Vedas. Cover Me in such a way that people will take more interest in advancing material civilization just to propagate a population bereft of spiritual knowledge
- Sadhucchistam is significant in this verse (SB 4.22.43). Prthu Maharaja got his kingdom from great saintly persons like Bhrgu and others just as one gets remnants of food. After the death of King Vena, the whole world was bereft of a popular ruler
- Seeing this insulting behavior (of Indra), Durvasa Muni immediately cursed Indra to be poverty-stricken, bereft of all material opulence
- Sometimes physicians, psychiatrists and social workers try to mitigate bodily pain, distress and fear, but they have no knowledge of spiritual identity and are bereft of a relationship with God
- Sometimes the conditioned soul is bereft of all money, and consequently he becomes unkind to his family members. In this material world there is not a pinch of actual happiness, for which the conditioned soul is longing life after life
- Srimati Kuntidevi wished Sri Krsna to remain with her sons the Pandavas, but by His doing so her paternal house would be bereft of the benefit. All these partialities troubled the mind of Kunti, and therefore she desired to cut off the affectionate tie
- Sukadeva Gosvami tells Pariksit Maharaj, "My dear King, if a person, after hearing blasphemous propaganda against the Lord and His devotees, does not go away from that place, he becomes bereft of the effect of all pious activities"
- The Bhagavad-gita says that the worshipers of the demigods are bereft of intelligence; their process of worship is very difficult, and at the same time the result obtained is flickering and temporary
- The brahmana cursed the Lord, "You shall be bereft of all material happiness!" When the Lord heard this, He felt great jubilation within Himself
- The demigods were naturally bereft of the results of yajna and hampered in executing their respective duties. Therefore they came down to the planet earth to see how people had become disturbed and to consider what to do
- The gopis are not interested in dry speculation, in the arts, in music, or other conditions of material life. They are bereft of all understanding of material enjoyment and renunciation. Their only desire is to see Krsna return
- The gopis said, "By placing our faith and love in Your (Krsna's) personality, we are assured of never being bereft of husband, friends, sons or daughters"
- The gorilla, being bereft of all trees and stone slabs, now stood before Balarama and waved his strong fists. Then, with great force, he began to beat Lord Balarama's chest with his fists. This time Lord Balarama became most angry
- The government administration in the present age (Kali-yuga) is bereft of all godly qualities. Considering all these points, the people today have no alternative but to take to Krsna consciousness for protection of religion, life and property
- The great King Bharata, while sitting on the bank of the river, saw the small deer, bereft of its mother, floating down the river
- The great sage Maitreya continued: Thus the King, who became unintelligent due to his sinful life and deviation from the right path, became actually bereft of all good fortune
- The head of a state should not be appointed if he is bereft of all Vedic knowledge
- The human being bereft of his conscience, however, is prone to cause suffering for other living beings
- The impersonalists endeavor very strenuously to achieve the impersonal brahma-jyotir, but unfortunately, being bereft of a relationship with the Supreme Personality of Godhead, they come down again to the material world
- The kings continued: "The time element is so strong that no one can escape its influence; therefore we have received the reactions of our atrocious activities, and we are now bereft of all opulences and stand before You (Krsna) like street beggars"
- The Lord assured Dhruva Maharaja that Dhruva would not be bereft of the Lord's love. He encouraged Dhruva not to be worried that he childishly had material desires and at the same time had the pure aspiration to be a great devotee
- The Lord continued: My dear mother, devotees who receive such transcendental opulences are never bereft of them; neither weapons nor the change of time can destroy such opulences
- The Lord is so merciful that even if there is some impediment for the devotee, He Himself manages matters in such a way that the devotee is not bereft of having audience at His lotus feet. There is a very good example in the life of Haridasa Thakura
- The Mayavadis are to be considered mayayapahrta-jnana, or bereft of all knowledge, because they do not recognize the existence of the Supreme Personality of Godhead or they claim that His existence is a product of the material conception (maya)
- The sense organs are certainly our greatest enemies, and they are therefore compared to venomous serpents. However, if a venomous serpent is bereft of its poison fangs, it is no longer fearful
- The snake is dangerous on account of the poison teeth. So if, somehow or other, the poison teeth extricated, then the snake is no more dangerous. So our strong senses, snakelike senses, can be bereft of the poison teeth by accepting Krsna consciousness
- The unfortunate baby birds, bereft of their mother, are waiting in the nest for her to feed them. They are still very small and have not yet grown their wings. How shall I be able to maintain them?
- The unfortunate man, unsuccessful in maintaining his family members, is bereft of all beauty. He always thinks of his failure, grieving very deeply
- Their (the citizens' and men of government's) duration of life is shortened, and almost everyone is wretched and bereft of bodily strength and spiritual power
- These apparent contradictions are resolved in the life of a devotee by the grace of the Supreme Lord, and a devotee is never bereft of his position on the path of liberation, which is described in this verse (SB 5.1.5) as sivatamam padavim
- They (persons who identify with the body) do not know that beyond that is the spiritual kingdom, or kingdom of God, and they have no knowledge that one can go there. Thus they are bereft of transcendental knowledge
- They are bereft of all knowledge, in spite of any academic educational career they may pursue. Such miscreants are never candidates for satisfying the Lord
- Thinking in this way, the King of the Daityas, morose and bereft of bodily luster, remained silent with his face downward. Then Sanda and Amarka, the two sons of Sukracarya, spoke to him in secret
- This is authority, that nasta-sadacaro dasyah samsarga-dusitah. As soon as there will be contamination of illicit sex life, he will be bereft of all good character, this basic principle. And the whole world is now encouraged in that way
- Those bereft of knowledge of the Lord are bound by the material laws. They are factually addicted to sense gratification, and their target is woman. Indeed, they are actually playthings in the hands of attractive women
- Those who accept Krsna, or the Supreme Lord, as their son will never be bereft of their son
- Those who are bereft of all good sense, or those whose intelligence is withdrawn by the deluding energy of maya, aspire to achieve all sorts of material enjoyment in life 1) by pleasing the various demigods
- Those who are bereft of all good sense, or those whose intelligence is withdrawn by the deluding energy of maya, aspire to achieve all sorts of material enjoyment in life 2) by advancing in material civilization under the heading of scientific progress
- Those who are not devotees of Krsna have a taste for women, wine and so forth, and therefore they have been described as hrta jnana, bereft of sense
- Those who are only miscreants throughout their lives are compared to demons (BG 7.15). They are bereft of all knowledge, in spite of any academic educational career they may pursue. Such miscreants are never candidates for satisfying the Lord
- Those who are rascals (mudhah), sinners (duskrtinah) and the lowest of mankind (naradhamah), who are bereft of all intelligence (mayayapahrta jnanah) and who take shelter of the demoniac way of life (asuram bhavam asritah), are disinterested in KC
- Those who, out of envy, disregard these teachings and do not follow them regularly are to be considered bereft of all knowledge, befooled, and ruined in their endeavors for perfection
- Those who, out of envy, disregard these teachings and do not practice them regularly, are to be considered bereft of all knowledge, befooled, and doomed to ignorance and bondage. BG 3.32 - 1972
- Thus Bali Maharaja could never be bereft of all opulences. The opulences offered by the Supreme Personality of Godhead are not to be compared to the opulences obtained by karma-kanda
- Thus even if one is a brahmana he is certain to be attacked by leprosy and bereft of all family members if he makes such dualistic considerations. Such an offender goes to hell, never to return. This is the injunction of the Brhad-visnu Purana
- To be nirguna means to be bereft of material opulences because, as we have explained, material opulence means an increase of the actions and reactions of the three material qualities
- To show special favor, the Lord sometimes makes an example of someone like Bali Maharaja, who was now bereft of all his possessions
- Unaware of the principles of religion, they (those who have surrendered to the principles of material nature) do not surrender to Krsna, and therefore they are considered sinful rascals, the lowest of men, and fools bereft of all knowledge
- Unfortunately Dhrtarastra was also bereft of spiritual vision
- Upon seeing that the demigods were bereft of all influence and strength and that the three worlds were consequently devoid of auspiciousness
- Vidura inquires from Uddhava, "He (Akrura) has such ecstatic love for Krsna that I have seen him rolling upon Krsna's footprints in the dust as if bereft of all senses"
- Vidura was not at all sorry to be bereft of his hearth and home because he now had experience that dependence on the mercy of the Lord is a greater freedom than so-called freedom at home
- We praise a beautiful woman for her body, but that same body, when bereft of a spirit soul, is no longer interesting to any lusty man
- When a devotee is thus put into so-called miserable conditions and bereft of riches and family, he tries to revive his original position of material opulence. But although he tries again and again, Krsna again and again takes away all his resources
- When Lord Krsna returned to His capital, Dvaraka, the inhabitants began to say, "My dear Lord, if You remain in foreign countries for so long, we shall certainly be bereft of seeing Your smiling face"
- When one is bereft of all his possessions, he is certainly reduced in bodily luster. But although Bali Maharaja had lost everything, he was fixed in his determination to satisfy Vamanadeva, the Supreme Personality of Godhead
- When the demigods are bereft of their chariots, when they forget how to use weapons Your Majesty (Kamsa) does not kill them - SB 10.4.35
- When the performances of yajna were stopped by the disturbances of the demons, the demigods were naturally bereft of the results of yajna and hampered in executing their respective duties
- When the sun rises, all auspicious things begin. Unfortunately, they have not begun for me. The sun-god is the Vedas personified, but I am bereft of all Vedic principles