saying | sayings
Subcategories Pages in category
This category has the following 26 subcategories, out of 26 total.
- ► Mayavadis say God cannot Eat (3 P)
- ► Mayavadis say God cannot Hear (2 P)
- ► Mayavadis say God cannot See (1 P)
- ► Mayavadis say God has no Ears (1 P)
- ► Mayavadis say God has no Eyes (1 P)
- ► Mayavadis say God has no Form (4 P)
- ► Mayavadis say God has no Hands (3 P)
- ► Mayavadis say God has no Legs (5 P)
- ► Mayavadis say God is Blind (1 P)
- ► Mayavadis say God is Deaf (1 P)
- ► Mayavadis say God is Dumb (1 P)
- ► Mayavadis say God is Helpless (1 P)
- ► Mayavadis say God is Lame (1 P)
- ► Mayavadis say God is Poor Narayana (2 P)
Pages in category "Saying (noun)"
The following 59 pages are in this category, out of 59 total.
- A Vaisnava sannyasi always offers his blessings to everyone, saying krsne matir astu - "May you become Krsna conscious"
- Aditi appealed to her husband by saying that since even the supreme controller favors His devotees and since Indra, Kasyapa's devoted son, was in difficulty, Kasyapa should bestow his favor upon Indra
- Advaita Acarya, greatly pleased, began to dance, saying - His (Lord Caitanya's) affection for Me is so great that He wanted to save Me from the hands of the Mayavadis
- Advaita Acarya, greatly pleased, began to dance, saying - Just see how My desire has now been fulfilled! Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu used to treat Me honorably for so long, but now He is treating Me neglectfully. This is My reward
- All the Vaisnavas praised the drama, saying, "Very good, very good." They also desired that Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu hear the drama
- As stated in Caitanya-caritamrta (CC Antya 4.176): "In the material world, conceptions of good and bad are all mental speculations. Therefore, saying, 'This is good and this is bad,' is all a mistake"
- Atheistic men sometimes criticize a devotee by saying, "If you do not want to take any benediction from the Lord and if the servant of the Lord is as opulent as the Lord Himself, why do you ask for the benediction of being engaged as the Lord's servant?"
- Generally such (gross materialists) men say that you can manufacture your own way of worshiping the Supreme Lord and that any type of worship is sufficient to approach the Supreme Personality of Godhead
- Great so-called svamis have written books saying that one may chant any name - Durga, Kali, Siva, Krsna, Rama, & so on - because any name is all right for invoking an auspicious atmosphere in society. Thus they are called pasandis - unbelievers or demons
- He (Madhavendra Puri) left the temple (of Gopinatha) without saying anything to anyone. The paramahamsa is therefore called vijita-sad-guna. He must conquer the six material qualities - kama, krodha, lobha, moha, matsarya and ksudha-trsna
- He (son of the elderly brahmana) was saying (to his father) - Following this principle (not lying directly but like a diplomat), simply say that you do not remember anything and are completely unaware of the statements given by the young brahmana
- He (son of the elderly brahmana) was saying (to his father) - If you make the background like that (not lying directly but like a diplomat), I shall know how to fill in the argument and defeat him (the young brahmana) by word jugglery
- He dared not pick up his weapon again. Vrtrasura, however, encouraged him, saying, "Take up your thunderbolt and kill your enemy. This is not the time to lament your fate"
- Here (in SB 10.4.5) we see that Devaki first focused Kamsa's attention on his atrocious activities, his killing of her many sons. Then she wanted to compromise with him by saying that whatever he had done was not his fault, but was ordained by destiny
- I (Brahma) underwent meditation & austerities for 60,000 years just to understand the dust of the lotus feet of the gopis. Still, I could not understand it. To say nothing of me, even Siva, Sesa & the goddess of fortune, Laksmi, could not understand it
- In BG Krsna says (BG 18.66): "Just give up all other forms of religion & simply surrender unto Me." Now we are saying that you should give up everything & surrender to Krsna. Therefore, there is no difference between Krsna's instruction & our instruction
- In business circle there is a popular English saying that you can earn more by sitting in one place than by travelling in many places provided you can sit down in a place with due consideration
- In essence, he (son of the elderly brahmana) was saying (to his father) - Have no anxiety. You do not have to lie directly, but you should speak like a diplomat, like King Yudhisthira when he spoke to Dronacarya - asvatthama hata iti gajah
- In essence, he (son of the elderly brahmana) was saying (to his father) - I shall save you from having to give your daughter to him (the young brahmana). In this way, our aristocracy will be saved. You have nothing to worry about
- In essence, Maharaja Yudhisthira was saying - My dear Lord Vidura, you yourself are a holy place because you are an advanced devotee. People like you always carry Lord Visnu in their hearts
- It is the etiquette among sannyasis, those on the fourth platform of spiritual life, to offer respects by saying om namo narayanaya ("I offer my respectful obeisances unto Narayana"). This greeting is used especially by Mayavadi sannyasis
- Maharaja Yudhisthira was saying - My dear Lord Vidura, people like you always carry Lord Visnu in their hearts. You can revitalize all holy places after they have been polluted by the pilgrimages of sinners
- Mayavadi philosophers take advantage of this doctrine of transference by saying that the living entity is under the wrong impression when he thinks himself to be part and parcel of the Supreme
- Nanda Maharaja consoled his younger brother Vasudeva by saying that destiny is ultimately responsible for everything. Vasudeva should not be unhappy that his last child, the daughter, had gone to the heavenly planets
- Nanda Maharaja consoled his younger brother Vasudeva by saying that destiny is ultimately responsible for everything. Vasudeva should not be unhappy that his many children had been killed by Kamsa
- No one is equal to the Godhead, and no one is greater than Him. That is the import of the familiar saying "God is great"
- People are going from this country to that to improve economic condition. But it is a common saying that "Wherever you rascal go, your fate will go with you." Either you go to England or India or here and there
- People claim to follow a certain type of religion, saying formally, "I am Hindu," "I am Muslim," "I am Christian," "I am this or that," but actually no one follows the principles enunciated in religious scriptures. This is the disease of this age
- Such a saying as "Man is mortal" is accepted from higher authorities. Everyone accepts this, but no one has experienced that all men are mortal. By tradition, we have to accept this
- Sukadeva Gosvami continued: O best of the advanced Aryans, after saying this much to the sons of Prajapati Daksa, Narada Muni, whose merciful glance never goes in vain, left as he had planned
- Sukadeva Gosvami thanked the King for his eagerness to hear about Krsna, and he encouraged him by saying, "My dear King (Pariksit), your intelligence is very keen because you are so eager to hear about the pastimes of Krsna"
- The advocates of Visistadvaita-vada philosophy explain the Vedanta-sutra by saying that although the living entity has two kinds of bodies - subtle and gross - and although he thus lives in three bodily dimensions, he is nevertheless a spiritual soul
- The degree of intimacy shared by Krsna and Subala can be understood by the fact that the talks between them were so confidential that no one else could understand what they were saying
- The Lord (Caitanya), understanding his (the muslim tailor's) attitude, showed him His original form as Krsna. The tailor then began to dance, saying - I have seen! I have seen! - He became absorbed in ecstatic love and began to dance with Lord Caitanya
- The Lord never accepts any offering by such impure ghosts. There is a common saying that one should first love the dog of the beloved before one shows any loving sentiments for the beloved
- The popular saying is that a housewife teaches the daughter-in-law by teaching the daughter. Similarly, the Lord teaches the world by teaching the devotee
- The saying that the human form of life is the best position for devotional service has its special significance because only in this form can a living entity revive his eternal relationship with the Supreme Personality of Godhead
- There is a Bengali saying that if a vulture curses a cow to die, the curse will not be effective. Similarly, accusations made by demoniac persons against devotees of Krsna cannot have any effect
- There is a Bengali saying which describes that someone is so powerful that he can make the night day and the day night. That saying is current because of the prowess of Priyavrata. His activities demonstrate how powerful he became by worshiping God
- There is a common saying in Bengal that God has ten hands. This means that He has control everywhere - in the eight directions and up and down. If He wants to take everything away from us with His ten hands, we cannot protect anything with our two hands
- There is a common saying in Bengal that the Lord has ten hands. If He wants to bestow benedictions upon us with His ten hands, we cannot factually receive them all with our two hands; in other words, the benedictions exceed our ambitions
- There is a common saying in India that everyone goes to worship the Supreme Personality of Godhead when he is in distress, but when a person is in an opulent position, he forgets God
- There is a Sanskrit saying, Do according to the country's laws. If both the present husband and wife agree to divorce, then they can do it and re-marry, what can be done?
- There is a saying, "The happiness of wealth is enjoyable by a person who has tasted the distress of poverty."
- There is also another common saying, vandhya ki bujhibe prasava-vedana: "A woman who has not given birth to a child cannot understand the pain of childbirth."
- There is one saying from Bible: 'Judge not, lest ye be judged.' So how we can preach unless we are able to make judgements? That will not be possible. Only those who are above suspicion can judge others
- This (Daksa saying that Siva is yaso-ghna, which means "one who spoils name and fame") can also be interpreted to mean that he was so famous that his fame killed all other fame
- This calculation of one year is history but the summer and winter seasons are also eternal. There is a saying, "History repeats itself." Why make a distinction between history and eternity. Things are happening eternally; this is history
- Unless one works as a brahmana, there is no value to his simply saying, "I am a brahmana." One must therefore work as a brahmana by fully engaging in the service of Param Brahman, Krsna, the Supreme Brahman
- Upon hearing this, we each embraced him and encouraged him by saying, 'You are a great saintly devotee, for your determination in devotional service is fixed.' In this way we praised him
- We are following the old principles. We do not say something new. The old saying, as Krsna said five thousand years ago
- We offer our prayers to the Lord by saying, namo brahmanya-devaya go-brahmana-hitaya ca. The Lord is the maintainer of brahminical culture. His first concern is to see to the benefit of cows and brahmanas
- What is the purpose of saying: "in that direction where Hari is situated?" During Hiranyakasipu's time, his influence was everywhere, but he could not force his influence into the places where the Supreme Personality of Godhead had His pastimes