Collaborate with us to invoke and fully manifest Srila Prabhupada's Vani-presence.
relative | relatively | relativeness
This category has the following 7 subcategories, out of 7 total.
Pages in category "Relative"
The following 110 pages are in this category, out of 110 total.
- A dying man comes under the clutches of death and lies down, surrounded by lamenting friends and relatives, and although he wants to speak with them, he no longer can because he is under the control of time
- A relative or intimate friend is always fearful of some injury to his beloved
- A relative should not be killed even if his wrongdoing warrants capital punishment. Rather, he should be thrown out of the family. Since he has already been killed by his own sin, why kill him again?
- After accepting sannyasa, it is not the duty of a sannyasi to remain at his birthplace, encircled by relatives
- Akrura happened to be one of the cousins of Kunti; therefore, after meeting him, she began to inquire about her paternal relatives
- All those who met Akrura, known also as the son of Gandini, were very much pleased to receive him and inquire about the welfare of their respective relatives
- Although one can suffer harm from an enemy and not mind so much because pain inflicted by an enemy is natural, when one is hurt by the strong words of a relative, one suffers the effects continually
- As soon as we say "Here is light," there must be darkness. This is called relative world. One has to be understood by other relative terms. But there is another world, which is called absolute world. There the master and the servant, the same
- As the Supersoul living in everyone's heart, Lord Krsna could understand their (the wives of the brahmanas) minds; they had come to Him despite all the protests of their relatives, fathers, husbands & brothers, & despite the duties of household affairs
- Balarama said, "For when such a relative is conscious of his own fault, that consciousness itself is like death. Therefore, there is no need to kill him"
- Because You are above all material qualities, these are not found in You. Your superior spiritual potency is completely transcendental, and for You there is no such thing as relative pleasure, pleasure mixed with pain, or pain itself
- Chanting the holy name of God is as good as to associate with God; this is the absolute and relative relationship
- Chapter Seven, "Knowledge of the Absolute." There are two things, absolute and the relative. This is relative world. Here we cannot understand one thing without the other
- Cutting the hair from his head, depriving him of his wealth and driving him from his residence are the prescribed punishments for the relative of a brahmana. There is no injunction for killing the body
- Daityas, who are materialistic persons, sometimes think of philosophy when some relative meets death. The technical term for this attitude of the materialistic person is smasana-vairagya, or detachment in a cemetery or place of cremation
- Due to your long absence from your kingdom while fighting the demons on behalf of the demigods, your queen, your children, your relatives and your ministers have all passed away in due course of time
- Everyone in Sarvabhauma Bhattacarya's house is very dear to Me, including his maids and servants and even his dog. And what to speak of his relatives
- Everyone in this material world, he may become an isvara is his group, but he is also controlled by somebody superior. That is the position of this relative isvara. But Krsna is absolute isvara. Nobody is isvara above Him. That is Krsna
- Everything, these rascal scientists consider in relation, relatively. But relative world means every living being is relatively existing with a condition
- Fifty percent of his accumulated wealth was distributed to the KC persons, namely the brahmanas & the Vaisnavas; twenty-five percent was distributed to relatives; and twenty-five percent was kept against emergency expenditures and personal difficulties
- Fifty percent of his accumulated wealth was distributed to the KC persons, namely the brahmanas & the Vaisnavas; twenty-five percent was distributed to relatives; and twenty-five percent was kept against emergency expenditures, personal difficulties
- For a long time the wives had been eager to see Krsna. However, when they were preparing to leave home to go see Him, their husbands, fathers, sons and relatives asked them not to go. But the wives did not comply
- From Srimad-Bhagavatam one can come to know the substance as well as the categories. The substance is the Absolute Truth, the Supreme Lord, and all emanations are relative forms of energy
- Gopis said, "Even in great distress one cannot give up the connection of family members, but although it might be impossible for others, we gave up our fathers, mothers, sisters and relatives (for Krsna's friendship)"
- Gopis said, "We have all left our husbands, relatives, brothers and friends and have simply come to You, being captivated by the sound of Your (Krsna's) transcendental flute"
- He (Akrura) saw the son of Dronacarya, Asvatthama, as well as the five Pandava brothers and other friends and relatives living in the city
- He (Akrura) was offered a good seat at his receptions, and he in turn inquired all about the welfare and activities of his relatives
- He began to think, "I have given my word to a brahmana in a holy place, and what I promised will certainly come to pass. I must now disclose this to my wife, sons, other relatives and friends"
- He was constantly sanctified by taking his bath in holy places, although he was in the dress of a mendicant and had no hair dressing nor a bed on which to lie. Thus he was always unseen by his various relatives
- His (Krsna's) body is absolute, beginningless, unborn, and eternal, while the material body of the living being is relative and therefore temporary - it undergoes birth and death
- I then said, 'Please hear. You are a learned brahmana. Your wife, friends and relatives will never agree to this proposal'
- If Godhead were subject to being revealed by our relative sense perception, then our sense perception, and not Godhead, would be absolute
- If there is a superior person present, the superior person cannot be the object of our mercy. Rather, we are objects for the mercy of the superior person. Therefore showing compassion and mercy is a relative activity
- Impersonalism is only a solace for the frustrated. When we are frustrated by the relative personalism of this material world, we try to find out, in material way, the opposite number
- In an attempt to dominate material nature, the living entity is forced to offer his service to relative material energy. When this service is transferred to the Lord in pure consciousness of spiritual identity, the living entity at once becomes free
- In royal style, the bridegroom goes to the house of the bride, and in the presence of brahmanas, priests and relatives, the bride is given in charity to the bridegroom. Besides this, there are other systems, such as the gandharva and raksasa marriages
- In the great assembly of respectable citizens, friends, relatives, brahmanas, sages, ksatriyas and vaisyas - in the presence of all, including his brothers - King Yudhisthira directly addressed Lord Krsna as follows
- In the Western world, where the glories of Lord Caitanya are relatively unknown, one may inquire, "Who is Krsna Caitanya?" The author of the Caitanya-caritamrta, Srila Krsnadasa Kaviraja, answers that question in the third verse of his book
- In Vedic society, after the death of a relative, especially one's father or mother, one must go to Gaya and there offer oblations to the lotus feet of Lord Visnu
- It is stated that mercy is one of the qualities of a Buddhist, but mercy is a relative thing
- Krsna is first-class, His devotees are also first-class. The trees, the birds, the cows, and the calves are all first-class. Therefore it is called absolute. No conception of relative, second-class, third-class, fourth-class
- Krsna is impartial, but because this is the material world of duality, such relative terms as happiness and distress, curses and favors, are created by the will of the Supreme
- Krsna killed the King of Kasi with His arrows. He specifically arranged to throw the head of the King of Kasi into the city of Kasi so that his relatives & family members could see it. Krsna did this just as a hurricane carries a lotus petal here & there
- Krsna replied, "All material bodies are subject to these six conditions (growth, maintenance, expansion, deterioration and, finally, disappearance) & any relative acquisitions accumulated by this body are definitely subject to final destruction"
- Krsna replied, "Dear King (Yudhisthira), I may inform you that all the great sages, your forefathers, the demigods & your relatives and friends, including Me, desire that you perform this sacrifice, and I think that it will satisfy every living entity"
- Krsna said, "For a great personality like you (King Jarasandha), there is no distinction between relatives and outsiders"
- Krsna went on speaking, "Because you are My pure devotees, not only your relatives but also people in general, as well as the demigods, will be satisfied with you"
- Krsna's existence is not relative existence. Everything else but Krsna is a relative truth, but Krsna is the Supreme Absolute Truth. Krsna does not depend on anything but Himself for His existence. Our existence, however, is relative
- Lord Brahma, a human being and an ant all live for one hundred years, but their lifetimes of one hundred years are different from one another. This world is a relative world, and its relative moments of time are different
- Lord Siva regards no one as his relative, yet there is no one who is not connected with him; he does not regard anyone as very favorable or abominable. We respectfully worship the remnants of his foodstuff, and we vow to accept what is rejected by him
- Lord Sri Krsna said: O Arjuna, you should not show mercy by releasing this relative of a brahmana (brahma-bandhu), for he has killed innocent boys in their sleep
- Maharaja Yudhisthira said: My dear brother (Arjuna), please tell me whether our friends and relatives, such as Madhu, Bhoja, Dasarha, Arha, Satvata, Andhaka and the members of the Yadu family are all passing their days in happiness
- Many philosophers and great rsis, or mystics, try to distinguish the Absolute from the relative by their tiny brain power. This can only help them reach the negative conception of the Absolute
- Materially, it appears very nice that Arjuna is giving up his claim of kingdom for satisfying his relatives. Oh, he's very good man. But Krsna did not approve it. Why? Because the basic principle was Arjuna decided to satisfy his own senses
- Nanda continued, "We are also very happy that Kamsa, the most sinful demon, has been killed. He was always envious of the family of the Yadus, his relatives. Now, because of his sinful activities, he is dead and gone, along with all his brothers"
- Nanda Maharaja was surprised that although the demigod was so opulent, he offered such respect to Krsna. That was very astonishing to Nanda, and he began to describe the incident to his friends and relatives with great wonder
- On the basis of this misconception, which ties together the hearts of the male and female, one becomes attracted to his body, home, property, children, relatives and wealth. In this way one increases life's illusions and thinks in terms of "I and mine."
- On the occasion of Bhaumasura's being killed by Lord Krsna, all the demon's relatives screamed in disappointment, and the saintly persons glorified the chivalrous activities of the Lord
- Once upon a time, King Yudhisthira was sitting on his throne in the palace constructed by the demon Maya. His four brothers, other relatives, & Krsna, were present, and the material opulence of King Yudhisthira seemed no less than that of Lord Brahma
- One can compensate for a life of frustration by becoming a dhira, or leaving home for good without communicating with relatives, and Vidura advised his eldest brother to adopt this way without delay because very quickly the age of Kali was approaching
- One who becomes agitated by the relativities of life has accepted a relative position and must therefore undergo the austerities prescribed in the sastras to transcend the material body and put an end to material existence
- One who has given up all material duties and taken full shelter at the lotus feet of Mukunda, who gives shelter to all, is not indebted to the demigods, great sages, ordinary living beings, relatives, friends, mankind or even his forefathers
- Only the mahatmas can understand that the Supreme Lord is the primeval cause of all creations. He is parama or ultimate truth because all other truths are relative to Him. He is omniscient. For Him, there is no illusion
- Only when there is the light of the sun, the moon or electricity are we able to see. Our seeing, therefore, is relative, and the light of the sun and moon and electricity is also relative; they are called illuminating only because we see them as such
- Radha continued, "Being deprived of all material acquisitions, one makes his relatives, himself unhappy. He wanders in search of Krsna, either as a human being or in other species of life, even as a bird, voluntarily accepts the profession of a mendicant"
- Relative means you cannot understand anything without the other. That is called relative. Suppose if I say "good man," I cannot understand a good man without having another man, bad man. This is called relative truth
- Relative platform
- Relative understanding
- Since darkness stands in the absence of the sun, it is therefore relative to the sun. The spiritual world is compared to the real sunshine, and the material world is compared to the dark regions where the sun is not visible
- Srila Rupa Gosvami divided the wealth that he brought back home. He gave fifty percent in charity to brahmanas and Vaisnavas and twenty-five percent to his relatives
- Srimati Radharani continued, "We left our husbands, children and relatives only for Krsna, yet He did not feel any obligation in exchange. At last He left us forlorn. Do you think we can place our faith in Him again"
- Suta Gosvami said: Thereafter the Pandavas, desiring to deliver water to the dead relatives who had desired it, went to the Ganges with Draupadi. The ladies walked in front
- The inhabitants of Dvaraka were as joyful as someone receiving a dear relative back from the dead
- The modern science admits that everything is relative. Relative world - according to the body, according to the time. Relative world, not absolute
- The Personality of Godhead is described as vastu, or the Substance, and the living entities are described as vastavas, or the innumerable samples of the Substance in relative existence
- The position of servitor is wasted in the material conception of life. In an attempt to dominate material nature, the living entity is forced to offer his service to relative material energy
- The prince created this situation without my knowledge, but actually I consider all the sons of Bhavananda Raya to be like my relatives
- The relatives unanimously said, "If you give your daughter to that boy, we shall give up all connection with you." Indeed, his wife and sons declared, "If such a thing happens, we shall take poison and die"
- The Supreme Personality of Godhead (Krsna) then informed Akrura that his presence was very welcome. He inquired from him whether all his relatives and friends were well and free from all kinds of ailments
- The whole theme of Vedic literature is to know the Supreme Lord, the individual soul, the cosmic situation and the relation between all these items. When the relation is known, the relative function begins
- The wives of the brahmanas said, "We have surrendered unto Your lotus feet, which are covered by tulasi leaves, so we have no desire to give up the shelter of Your lotus feet and return to the company of our so-called relatives, friends and society"
- The word brahma-bandhu is significant. A person who happens to take birth in the family of a brahmana but is not qualified to be called a brahmana is addressed as the relative of a brahmana, and not as a brahmana
- The young brahmana said, "You have a wife and sons, and you have a large circle of relatives and friends"
- Thereafter, the sons of Pandu and Draupadi, overwhelmed with grief, performed the proper rituals for the dead bodies of their relatives
- They (the living entities) please only because they bring pleasure to the self. For this reason, one is self-centered and is attached to his body and self more than he is to relatives like wife, children and friends
- This is simple definition of God. You will find everyone relatively controller and controlled. But go on searching out where is that person that He is controller but not controlled. That is isvarah. That is isvarah paramah, the supreme isvara
- Thus (at the last stage of life, when the different gates of the body are choked by the effects of disease) the living entity cannot clearly express his difficulties, and surrounding relatives hear the sound "ghura ghura" from a dying man
- Thus one day the elderly brahmana called for a meeting of all his relatives and friends, and before them all he narrated what had taken place in front of Gopala
- To avoid the unnecessary killing of her relatives, Rukmini suggested that it would be easiest for Him (Krsna) to kidnap her while she was either going from the palace to the temple or else returning home
- To the people in general we are also indebted, as well as to our relatives, friends and even animals such as cows and dogs who render us so much service
- Uddhava continued, "It is a great boon for you that you have fixed your minds upon Krsna and have decided to have Krsna only, giving up your families, homes, relatives, husbands and children for the sake of the Supreme Personality"
- Uddhava said, "Since Krsna is the Supersoul, He regards everyone equally: He sees no one as enemy or friend, and no one as lower or higher than Him. He actually has no father, mother, brother or relative, nor does He require society, friendship & love"
- We are all situated in relative positions according to our own karma. Yet every one of us can offer prayers with heart and soul as far as we can appreciate the Lord's glories
- When a relative dies one certainly becomes very much interested in philosophy, but when the funeral ceremony is over one again becomes attentive to materialism
- When he (Rupa Gosvami) decided to retire, he distributed fifty percent of his life's earnings to Krsna's service and twenty-five percent to his relatives and kept twenty-five percent for personal emergencies
- When King Dhrtarastra was sitting among friends and relatives, Akrura began to address him, calling him Vaicitravirya. Vaicitravirya means "the son of Vicitravirya"
- When we are frustrated by the relative personalism of this material world, we try to find out, in material way, the opposite number
- Without being in the Absolute Truth there cannot be relative manifestation
- Without the consent of all your friends and relatives, it is not possible to give me your daughter in charity. Just consider the story of Queen Rukmini and her father, Bhismaka