Collaborate with us to invoke and fully manifest Srila Prabhupada's Vani-presence.
possession | possessionless | possessions | possessive | possessiveness
- VedaBase query: possession or possessionless or possessions or possessive or possessiveness not "material possessions" not "material possession" not "material possessiveness"
This category has the following 6 subcategories, out of 6 total.
Pages in category "Possession"
The following 134 pages are in this category, out of 134 total.
- A devotee sometimes needs some material possessions for preaching, but the possessions of a preacher are not like those of a karmi
- A disciple should serve the spiritual master as a menial servant, and whatever he has in his possession should be dedicated to the spiritual master
- A karmi's possessions are achieved as a result of karma, but those of a devotee are arranged by the Supreme Personality of Godhead just to facilitate his devotional activities
- A Krsna conscious person well knows that everything belongs to Krsna, and thus he is always free from feelings of personal possession
- A selfish man is not prepared to take to Krsna consciousness and is condemned by great devotees like Sukadeva Gosvami. In other words, possession of too many worldly riches is a disqualification for advancement in Krsna consciousness
- A transcendentalist should always try to concentrate his mind on the supreme self. He should live alone in a secluded place and should always carefully control his mind. He should be free from desires and possessiveness
- Advancement of human civilization depends not on industrial enterprises, but on possession of natural wealth and natural food, which is all supplied by the Supreme Personality of Godhead so that we may save time for self-realization
- After killing Satadhanva, Krsna returned to Dvaraka, and in order to please His wife Satyabhama, He informed her of the death of Satadhanva, the killer of her father. But He also informed her that the jewel had not been found in his possession
- Akrura continued, "Under the impression of false identification & false possession, everyone is transmigrating from one body to another on the path of fruitive activities & their reactions. My dear Lord, I am no exception among these conditioned souls"
- All places, from where the sun rises on the horizon, shining brilliantly, to where the sun sets, are known as the possession of the celebrated Mandhata, the son of Yuvanasva
- An animal may remain in the custody of a human being for some time, and then the same animal may be transferred to the possession of other human beings. As soon as the animal goes away, the former proprietor no longer has a sense of ownership
- Anyone who accumulates more money or more possessions than he needs is called a thief, and one who simply accumulates wealth without spending for sacrifice or for worship of the Personality of Godhead is a great thief
- At the time of death, the atheist must submit to the supreme kala, and then the Supreme Personality of Godhead takes away all his possessions and forces him to accept another body
- Bali Maharaja conquered all the planets of the universe by rightful possession. A king can conquer other kings by strength, and such possession is considered to be rightful. So Bali Maharaja possessed all the lands of the universe
- Because a devotee never uses material possessions for any purpose other than the service of the Lord, the possessions of a devotee are not to be compared to those of a karmi
- Because of sinful activities we become attracted by the illusion of material attachment, and we think, "I am this body." I think of the body as myself and of bodily possessions as "mine"
- Because the cowherd boys were under the illusion that Krsna could be in some mishap, their symptoms are not at all astonishing; they had dedicated their friendship, their possessions, their desires and their very selves to Krsna
- Because the people of this age have no gold in their possession, they are actually poverty-stricken, and therefore they are considered unfortunate
- Becoming a voluntary servant, carrying out orders, establishing a friendly relationship, or offering all of one's possessions, in the service of God. By such practice of yoga, or linking up in the service of the Lord, one is recognized by the Lord Himself
- Brahma gave up that shining and beloved form of moonlight. Visvavasu and other Gandharvas gladly took possession of it
- Brahma said: These residents of Vrndavana have given You everything - their bodies, their minds, their love, their homes, their possessions. Everything is being utilized for Your purpose
- By austerities, by worship of the Lord, and by distribution of charity we can purify the possession of wealth. We can purify our self by studying the Vedas in order to understand the Absolute Truth and achieve self-realization
- By possessing all these material assets one becomes artificially puffed up, intoxicated by such temporary possessions. Consequently, such materially puffed up persons are incapable of uttering the holy name of the Lord by addressing Him feelingly
- Dhruva Maharaja regretted that he had rejected the advice of Narada Muni and was adamant in asking him for something perishable, namely revenge against his stepmother for her insult, and possession of the kingdom of his father (King Uttanapada)
- Don't consider what will happen to this world. The nature will take care of it. You don't puzzle your brain with these thoughts. You utilize whatever time you have got in your possession and go back to home, back to Godhead
- Either we leave the money or the money leaves us, but we will be separated. The best use of money as long as it is within our possession is to spend it to acquire Krsna consciousness
- Everyone has got some propensity. The art of preaching is to engage that propensity in the service of Krsna. Whatever we have got, our mind, our intelligence, our possessions, our time, our energies, let them all be used in Krsna's service
- Everyone requires possessions such as food grains, clothing, money and other things necessary for the maintenance of the body, but one should not collect more than necessary for his actual basic needs
- Everyone should give up his false proprietorship over worldly possessions and offer everything to Krsna. This is the teaching of the Krsna consciousness movement
- Factually, no one can become the father or mother of Krsna; but a devotee's possession of such transcendental feelings is called love of Krsna in parental relationship
- Following the instructions of Haridasa Thakura, a pure Vaisnava does not personally take even a single paisa from anyone, but he induces his followers to spend for the service of the Lord whatever possessions they have
- For a materialistic person, material wealth and opulence are only illusory. Actually they are not possessions but entanglements because by enjoying the material world a conditioned soul becomes more and more entangled by incurring debts
- For one who is in the renounced order of life, this is (be allured by the glamor of the householder's worldly possessions) much more dangerous than drinking poison and committing suicide
- For serving the Lord, we require to sacrifice our life, our wealth, our intelligence, and our words. One can serve the Lord with these four possessions; if not, with three, if not, then with two or even one
- Freedom from possessiveness
- From practical experience we can observe that one is attractive due to wealth, power, fame, beauty, wisdom & renunciation. One who is in possession of all these opulences, who possesses them to an unlimited degree, is understood to be the SPG
- Having been too much addicted to sex, he (King Puranjana) became very poor in intelligence and lost all his opulence. Being bereft of all possessions, he was conquered forcibly by the Gandharvas and the Yavanas
- He (Arjuna) was not at all afraid of the giant military phalanx presented by Duryodhana, but as a merciful devotee of the Lord, renunciation of worldly things was natural for him, and thus he decided not to fight for worldly possessions
- He (Duryodhana) desired that Vidura be immediately put out of the palace and deprived of all his possessions. If possible, he would have liked him caned until he was left with nothing but his breath
- He cursed Indra, who thus had to become a hog on the earth and was unwilling to return to heaven. Such is the power of the attraction of the illusory energy. Even a hog does not wish to part with its earthly possessions in exchange for a heavenly kingdom
- Here in Bombay we have a nice spot. We are now in possession. It is just like a garden house. I shall be glad if you come here and live with me for some time
- His (one's) ill-gotten wealth and possessions are taken by someone else, and he goes to the darkest region of hellish life. One should not, therefore, accumulate more wealth than allotted to him by destiny
- Human civilization depends not on industrial enterprises, but on possession of natural wealth and natural food, which is all supplied by the Supreme Personality of Godhead so that we may save time for self-realization and success in the human form of body
- I am in possession of the two rooms and the verandah in Radha Damodara Temple
- I beg to inquire whether you have taken possession of the house at 5th Avenue, and if not please let me know why it is delayed. Please send Bali Mardan with detailed information and necessary documents
- I had some difficulty in staying in my rooms at Radha Damodara Temple. They want me to go away and are now picking up some quarrel with me to get me out of my possession
- I may inform you that I am prepared to take possession of the above mentioned baggage. Sriman Balavanta das is my disciple
- I think by the grace of Krsna you are getting some glimpse of hope to keep in possession the Hare Krsna land for our missionary activities. The laurel of victory will be if we can get the whole land at a monthly rent of 1000rs
- If a benevolent and merciful person exhibits his pride in becoming poverty-stricken by giving his possessions in charity for good causes, his poverty is a welcome and auspicious sign of a great personality
- If a businessman is in possession of thousands and thousands of dollars, and if he has to offer all this to Krsna, he can do it. This is work for Krsna
- If a devotee maintains some material desire and at the same time very sincerely desires to engage at the lotus feet of Krsna, Krsna may directly give him unalloyed devotional service and take away all his material desires and possessions
- If one becomes poverty-stricken by giving all of his possessions in charity, he becomes adored all over the world
- If one is determined not to be envious of anyone, he can naturally conquer anger. Similarly, one can give up the desire to accumulate wealth simply by considering how difficult it is to protect the money in one's possession
- If one wants to enjoy Laksmi the way Ravana did, he will be vanquished by the laws of nature, and whatever few possessions he has will be taken away
- If someone is very powerful, he also becomes attractive, and if someone is very famous, he also becomes attractive, and if someone is very beautiful or wise or unattached to all kinds of possessions, he also becomes attractive
- If you are actually serious to go back to home, back to Godhead, then be very, very, very cautious from these two things: possessing…, desire for possessions, woman and riches
- In spite of all these possessions, the spirit soul has to give up his present situation and accept another. The next situation may be unfavorable, but even if it is favorable, one must give it up and again accept another body
- In this material world it is to be understood that we are always living in a contaminated state. We therefore have to purify the duration of our lives, our possession of wealth and our self
- In your previous letter you informed me that you are not going to pay a farthing unless you are in possession of the house. So you must follow the determination. You should not sign the check if you are not satisfied yourself
- India is advertised very poor country. But still, majority of the people in India, they are happy. People do not know. Although materially they haven't got possession...
- Isana replied, "I still have one gold coin in my possession." Sanatana Gosvami then said, "Take the coin and return to your home"
- It is better that one engage whatever money and women he may have in his possession in the service of the Lord because sense enjoyment is not for the conditioned soul
- It is good news that you have so sufficiently taken possession of the 40 acres of land there in our society name, under control of Gaurasundara
- Kardama Muni had no worldly possessions - he was a hermit living in the forest - but he was advanced in culture
- Karmis want material possessions, jnanis and yogis want spiritual possessions, but devotees do not want any material or spiritual assets. They want only to serve the Lord
- Karttikeya addressed King Mucukunda, "But you left that kingdom, neglected your opulence and possessions, and never cared for fulfillment of your personal ambitions"
- Krsna continued, "As My devotees are always neglectful of all these worldly possessions, I am also like that. I am interested in self-realization; that gives Me pleasure, and not this family life." After submitting His statement, Krsna suddenly stopped
- Krsna continued, "Such a person can never be happy under any circumstances; but if one's mind is satisfied, even if he is bereft of all possessions, he can be happy living anywhere"
- Krsna said: It was already known to Me that My great devotee Narada Muni had shown his causeless mercy by saving you (Nalakuvara & Manigriva) from the abominable condition of pride due to possessing extraordinary beauty & opulence in a family of demigods
- Lord Krsna said, "I instruct you, all My boys and relatives present here, do not, even by mistake, take the possession of a brahmana and thereby pollute your whole family"
- Lord Krsna tells Uddhava, "My dear friend, if someone offers Me the best thing in his possession, or anything which is very pleasing to him, he will be eternally benefitted"
- Neither of them (the two brahmanas) agreed to exchange it (the cow) for the 100,000 cows. Thus disagreeing with the King’s proposal, the two brahmanas left the place in anger, thinking that their lawful possession had been usurped
- Next appeared Varuni, the lotus-eyed goddess who controls drunkards. With the permission of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Krsna, the demons, headed by Bali Maharaja, took possession of this young girl
- On one hand Gopinatha Pattanayaka was unable to clear his debt even by selling all his possessions, but on the other his salary was doubled, and he was honored with the silken wrapper
- On the pretense of asking for a measurement of three footsteps of land, He (Lord Vamana) took away all the lands of Bali Maharaja. He asked simply because without begging, no authority can take one's rightful possession
- Once Hariscandra performed a yajna for which Visvamitra was the priest, but Visvamitra, being angry at Hariscandra, took away all his possessions, claiming them as a contribution of daksina
- One can be gradually elevated to the standard of real knowledge, or KC, by practicing austerity and celibacy (brahmacarya), by controlling the mind, by controlling the senses, by giving up one's possessions in charity, by being avowedly truthful
- One can give up the desire to accumulate wealth simply by considering how difficult it is to protect the money in one's possession. If one keeps a large amount of cash with him, he is always anxious about keeping it properly
- One should not wrongly think that the body belongs to him. To maintain a false possession, why should one indulge in killing? Why should one kill innocent animals to maintain the body?
- One who is in the renounced order of life should not be allured by the glamor of the householder's worldly possessions and thus become subservient to worldly men
- One who possesses more money than he needs should spend it for Krsna. Unless one does so, he will become puffed up because of his false possessions, and therefore he will be punished in the next life, as described herein
- One who wants to possess also laments when he loses his possession. Devotees have no hankerings for material possessions and no hankerings for spiritual salvation
- Persons who are desirous of becoming great personalities must be decorated with the following qualities: perfection in all knowledge, proper execution, possession of all objects of enjoyment and gravity
- Possession is nine-tenths of the law
- Prahlada Maharaja is Vaisnava. He could understand that "Everything in this material world, even the possession of my father, will be finished. There is no doubt. So what is the use of possessing such thing which will be finished?"
- Sannyasa means simply possess Krsna and no other possessions. That is niskincana
- Sarupya (equal bodily feature), salokya (equal facility to live on the same planet with the Lord), sarsti (equal possession of opulence like the Lord), and samipya (equal association with the Lord)
- Smiling, the landlord said, "Before you offered them, I already knew that there were eight gold coins in your servant's possession"
- Sometimes the conditioned soul in household life, being attached to material wealth and possessions, is disturbed by gadflies and mosquitoes, and sometimes locusts, birds of prey and rats give him trouble
- That King was victorious over the King of Vidyanagara, and he took possession of his throne, the Manikya-simhasana, which was bedecked with many jewels
- The body and its possessions, its riches and relatives, must all be engaged for the benefit of others, or else they will be sources of tribulation and misery
- The cowherd men said, "When angry Indra sent torrents of rain, accompanied by showers of ice blocks and high wind, He immediately took compassion upon us and saved us and our families, cows and valuable possessions"
- The ghosts and hobgoblins took possession of the body thrown off in the form of yawning by Brahma, the creator of the living entities. This is also known as the sleep which causes drooling
- The great learned scholar Canakya Pandita says that whatever one has in his possession had better be spent for the cause of sat, or the Supreme Personality of Godhead, because one cannot take his possessions with him
- The heavenly King, Indra, upon being defeated in his fight with Krsna for possession of the parijata flower, became very bashful because of his defeat. He was standing before Krsna, bowing down his head, when Krsna said
- The Kimpurusas and Kinnaras took possession of that shadowy form left by Brahma. That is why they and their spouses sing his praises by recounting his exploits at every daybreak
- The present immediate problem is that we require the Police Commissioner's consent to construct a temple. The papers are already there in his possession
- The rats, beasts and vultures (in the forest of material existence) are different types of thieves who take away our possessions, and the gandharva-pura is the phantasmagoria of the body and home
- The things which we possess during our duration of life are first achieved and then let out along with all of our other temporary possessions. Therefore the best use of possessions during our lifetime is to dedicate it to the service of the Lord
- There are many persons with little in their possession who accept the renounced order of life like monkeys. They go here and there engaging in sense gratification and speaking intimately with women
- Thereafter, the prostitute distributed to the brahmanas whatever household possessions she had, following the order of her spiritual master
- These princes were very much puffed up with their worldly possessions and did not care a fig for anyone who came before them. In order to teach them some lessons, I agreed to kidnap you according to your desire; otherwise I actually have no love for you
- These rascals are sleeping, thinking life will go in this way, and they have no knowledge that one day death will come and take away all his possessions and kick him out of his place
- These, or any of the other six different types of devotional service (remembering, serving, praying, engaging in some particular service, being in a friendly relationship or offering everything in one's possession) should be executed in full earnestness
- This is to certify that Mr. Brent Selden, whose initiated name is Sudama das Goswami, is the president of our Honolulu Center, and therefore authorized to deal with all lands and property possessed by ISKCON
- This plundering of our possessions and life-span begins with the day of our birth. One day will come when death will finish everything, and the living entity will have to enter another body to begin another chapter of life and again begin the cycle
- Those who perform severe austerities and penances, those who give away all their possessions out of charity, those who are very famous for their auspicious activity are not able to obtain any auspicious results
- To show special favor, the Lord sometimes makes an example of someone like Bali Maharaja, who was now bereft of all his possessions
- We need the place for our own accommodation. Therefore vacant possession is essential. The best thing will be that let them give us possession of the ground floor and we are prepared to pay them proportionately immediately
- Whatever one has in his possession must be considered a gift by the grace of the Lord
- When a person is attacked by the invalidity of old age and is still addicted to sense gratification, he gradually loses all his personal beauty, intelligence and good possessions. He thus cannot resist the forceful attack of the daughter of Time
- When a person mistreats great souls, his life span, opulence, reputation, religion, possessions and good fortune are all destroyed
- When one develops an unflinching sense of ownership or possessiveness in relation to Lord Visnu, or, in other words, when one thinks Visnu and no one else to be the only object of love, such an awakening is called bhakti (devotion)
- When one is bereft of all his possessions, he is certainly reduced in bodily luster. But although Bali Maharaja had lost everything, he was fixed in his determination to satisfy Vamanadeva
- When one mistreats great souls, his life span, opulence, reputation, religion, possessions and good fortune are all destroyed
- When one possesses material opulence in any of these three divisions (upper, lower and middle planetary systems) of the universe, his possessions naturally increase his enmity, anxiety, mental agitation, pride and belligerence
- When Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu arrived at his house, Kasi Misra immediately fell down at His lotus feet and surrendered himself and all his possessions
- When that bhava softens the heart completely, becomes endowed with a great feeling of possessiveness in relation to the Lord and becomes very much condensed and intensified, it is called prema (love of Godhead) by learned scholars
- When the qualities of good education, good parentage, beauty and sufficient wealth are misplaced in a person who is puffed up by all these possessions, they produce a very bad result
- While offering himself as a fully surrendered soul, he said, "My mind, my household affairs, my body, whatever is in my possession, my dear Lord, I offer to You for Your service. Now You can do with them as You like"