"material opulence"|"material opulences"
Subcategories Pages in category
This category has the following 22 subcategories, out of 22 total.
- ► Devotees of God Receiving All Material Opulences (1 C, 1 P)
- ► God Gives Material Opulence (2 P)
- ► Krsna Is The Owner of All Opulence (2 P)
- ► Material Opulence of a Devotee of God (1 C, 2 P)
Pages in category "Material Opulence"
The following 175 pages are in this category, out of 175 total.
- A devotee does not have to desire material opulence, but if he is a pure devotee, there is ample opportunity for him to enjoy material happiness also, without personal endeavor
- A devotee should not be aggrieved in an awkward position, nor should he feel extraordinarily happy in material opulence. This is the way of expert management of material life. Because a devotee knows how to manage expertly, he is called jivan-mukta
- A sannyasi must not present allurements of material benefits to gather many disciples, nor should he unnecessarily read many books or give discourses as a means of livelihood. He must never attempt to increase material opulences unnecessarily
- After this incident, Satrajit's younger brother, in order to display the opulence of the family, took the jewel, put it on his neck and rode on horseback into the forest, making a show of his material opulence
- Alas, just see the behavior of this cruel man! He is not a devotee of Lord Visnu. Being proud of his material opulence and his position, he considers himself God. Just see how he has transgressed the laws of religion
- Alas, what a regrettable deed I have committed because of my lack of intelligence and my pride in my material opulences. I failed to show respect to my spiritual master when he entered this assembly, and thus I have insulted him
- All materialistic men are mad after possessing all these material opulences, and this is known as the advancement of material civilization
- Although I am a fallen soul, the lowest of men, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu delivered me from the blazing forest fire of great material opulence by His mercy
- Although the person may be foolish, Krsna, being all-intelligent, engages him in His devotional service in such a way that he gradually forgets material opulence
- An intelligent devotee, instead of being entangled by the happiness of this material world in the form of a beautiful wife, material opulence and children, desires to be immediately transferred back home, back to Godhead
- Anyone who gets the favor of the goddess of fortune, as did this brahmana, is without a doubt always happy in material opulence
- As material opulence can be achieved by ordinary material means, it can also be achieved by subtle means through mantras. By chanting mantras, Saubhari Muni arranged for material opulence, but this was not perfection in life
- As soon as a king becomes rich in material opulences, he wants to dominate other nations by military aggression. Similarly, mercantile men want to monopolize a certain type of business and control other mercantile groups
- Bali Maharaja has become famous simply by washing Your (Krsna's) lotus feet, and he enjoyed all material opulences and later on was elevated to the highest position of liberation
- Bali Maharaja has become the most famous among the demons and nonbelievers, for in spite of being bereft of all material opulences, he is fixed in his devotional service
- Because a devotee of Lord Krsna is desireless, he is peaceful. Fruitive workers desire material enjoyment, jnanis desire liberation, and yogis desire material opulence; therefore they are all lusty and cannot be peaceful
- Because of his material opulences, he thinks that "Oh, where is the disease? This is all right. I am happy." That is the defect. We have to reduce. That is called tapasya. Not that "Because my tongue is asking me to eat something, therefore I must eat"
- Beginning from Brahma down to the insignificant ant, no living entities are meant for enjoying the material opulences. They are simply meant for offering everything to the supreme proprietor, the Personality of Godhead
- Brahma said, "I shall therefore consider myself fortunate to be given a chance to take birth in this land of Vrndavana in any of my future lives. My dear Lord, I am therefore not interested in either material opulences or liberation"
- By following in the footsteps of Prahlada Maharaja, one should gain thorough experience that all material opulence is perishable at every moment. Even this body, for which we try to acquire so many sensual pleasures, may perish at any time
- By worshiping the Supreme Lord, those who desire material opulences are given the bodies of powerful demigods
- By worshiping the Supreme Personality of Godhead, instead of being puffed up with material opulences one becomes enriched with spiritual advancement of knowledge in Krsna consciousness
- Destiny fixed the time for Maharaja Bharata's enjoyment of material opulence at one thousand times ten thousand years. When that period was finished, he retired from family life and divided the wealth he had received from his forefathers among his sons
- Devotees do not give any value to the opulence of this material world
- Devotees like Prahlada and Dhruva Maharaja achieved extraordinary material opulences, but such opulences were not maya-sukha
- Dhruva Maharaja regrets that he wanted material opulence and greater prosperity than that of his great-grandfather, Lord Brahma. His begging from the Lord was like a poor man's asking a great emperor for a few grains of broken rice
- Dhruva Maharaja was seeking material opulences, and his mother advised rightly that even for material opulences it is better to worship not the demigods but the Supreme Lord
- Don't be captivated by the material opulence, even you are put into great difficulties. Because you are not this material body. You are spirit soul. So your progress should be steady on the spiritual platform
- Endeavor for material opulence is against the principle of devotional service
- Even in full material opulence we can become a perfect devotee, provided you follow the principles. It doesn't matter
- Even when His (Krsna) devotee asks for some opulence from Him, the Lord sometimes does not give it. He is very cautious about His devotees
- For a pure devotee, the door of liberation is automatically opened. One should not think that Bali Maharaja was given so much material opulence merely because of his charity
- For eighty-five thousand years, Kartaviryarjuna continuously enjoyed material opulences with full bodily strength and unimpaired memory
- For one who desires to advance in spiritual life, attachment to material opulence and attachment to a beautiful wife are two great impediments. Such attachments are condemned even more than suicide
- For the nondevotee material opulence is a disqualification for spiritual advancement
- I may be very rich, I may have immense wealth, but if my body and mind is not in order, I am in trouble. So simply material opulence, material wealth will not satisfy us
- If a devotee, after being initiated, adheres rigidly to the instructions of the spiritual master, he is naturally endowed with the material opulences
- If one submissively hears and chants about the all-auspicious Maharaja Bharata, one's life span and material opulences certainly increase. One can become very famous and easily attain promotion to the heavenly planets, or attain liberation
- If opulence is used for sense gratification it is the cause of degradation, and if used for the service of the Lord (Krsna) it is the cause of elevation
- If the ultimate goal of life is to elevate oneself to the platform of devotional service, then why is it observed that a devotee of Lord Visnu is generally not very prosperous materially, whereas a devotee of Lord Siva is found to be very opulent?
- If there is any truth within this material world, it emanates from the Supreme Truth, Krsna. If there is any opulence within this material world, the cause of the opulence is Krsna
- If you imitate spiritual life for material benefit, then it will be failure. So the Gosvamis did not do so. They gave up this material opulence for spiritual advancement, positive
- If Your Lordship is satisfied, one can very easily obtain a lifetime as long as that of Lord Brahma, a body either in the upper, lower or middle planetary systems, unlimited material opulence, religion, economic development and satisfaction of the senses
- Impelled by false prestige and infatuated by material opulences, human society, instead of striving for Krsna consciousness, creates havoc and disrupts peaceful living. Thus men forget the real purpose of life: to attain the favor of Lord Visnu
- In America especially, despite all material opulences, there you are becoming confused and frustrated and disappointed, because wood and stone will not satisfy you. You must have spiritual food, and that is Srimad-Bhagavatam
- In fact, those who are pure devotees of Your lotus feet have no desire for material opulences
- In the course of our preaching work, we sometimes see that materialistic persons come to us and offer their obeisances to take blessings, which means they want more and more material opulences
- In the field of nescience, activities are directed toward lording it over the creation. In the material world everyone is engaged in acquiring material opulence to lord it over the material world
- In the minds of those who are too attached to sense enjoyment and material opulence, and who are bewildered by such things, the resolute determination of devotional service to the Supreme Lord does not take place. BG 2.44 - 1972
- Indra said, "Devotees do not care even for liberation, not to speak of these material opulences. Actually, we are not enjoyers of the fruits of sacrifices. Our only duty is to always be engaged in Your service, for You are the enjoyer of everything"
- Indra said, "My dear Lord (Krsna), I committed a great offense unto Your lotus feet, being falsely proud of my material opulences, not knowing Your unlimited power. Therefore, my Lord, kindly excuse me, because I am fool number one"
- Indra, the King of heaven, who is very materially opulent, became envious of King Rsabhadeva. Consequently he stopped pouring water on the planet known as Bharata-varsa
- It appears that foolish, demoniac human beings, when unnecessarily overpowered with material opulences, want to exhibit these opulences, and such foolish people feel satisfaction when these opulences are exhausted
- It is by the mercy of the Lord that one gets all material opulence, but if such material opulence causes one to become puffed up and forget the process of self-realization, the Lord certainly takes all the opulence away
- It is easy to get material opulence by worshiping the demigods, but the result is sometimes disastrous
- It is generally found that those who engage in the worship of Siva, whether in human, demoniac or demigod society, become materially very opulent, although Lord Siva himself lives just like a poverty-stricken person
- It is stated in Srinivasacarya’s prayer to the six Gosvamis that they left the material opulences of government service and the princely status of life and went to Vrndavana, where they lived just like ordinary mendicants, begging from door to door
- It is very difficult to give up material opulence, land, children, society, friends, riches, wife or the blessings of the goddess of fortune, which are desired even by great demigods
- Kartaviryarjuna enjoyed inexhaustible material opulences with his six senses
- Krsna replied, "I confirm that all you have spoken about Me (Krsna) in your prayers is factual. It is a fact that the materially opulent position of one who is not fully KC is the cause of his downfall and his becoming a victim of the illusory energy"
- Krsna said, "You (Indra) should always remember that all your material opulences are due to My mercy. No living entity can independently become opulent; one must be favored by My mercy. Everyone should always remember that I am the Supreme Lord"
- Kuvera, the treasurer of the demigods, is fabulously rich. Thus Lord Siva's association with the Kumaras and Kuvera indicates that he has all transcendental and material opulences
- Kuvera, the treasurer of the demigods, presented the art of attaining the eight perfectional stages of material opulence
- Liberation and material opulence, he thought, are obstacles to devotional service, and therefore such gifts from the Supreme Personality of Godhead are not His actual mercy
- Lord (Krsna) does not offer opulences to His devotee unless the devotee is thoroughly tested. Rather, if a neophyte devotee serves the Lord very sincerely and at the same time wants material opulence, the Lord keeps him from obtaining it
- Lord Brahma said: O best of the demigods, unfortunately, because of madness resulting from your material opulence, you failed to receive Brhaspati properly when he came to your assembly
- Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu has taught that one should not desire material opulence or material reputation, nor should one try to enjoy material beauty; one should simply aspire to be absorbed in the devotional service of the Lord
- Lord Caitanya once revealed Himself to this confidential devotee, Kholaveca Sridhara, and offered him any opulence he liked. But Sridhara informed the Lord that he did not want any material opulence
- Material happiness or opulence means gratification of the senses, especially the genitals, the tongue and the mind
- Material nature awards and punishes the living entity. When the living entity is materially opulent, material nature is rewarding him. When he is materially embarrassed, material nature is punishing him
- Material opulence can be the cause of degradation and also the cause of elevation, according to the purposes for which it is used
- Material opulence is so bewildering that it makes even a learned, self-controlled man forget to search for the goal of self-realization. But the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Narayana, the Lord of the universe, can see everything by His will
- Material opulence is very flickering. Therefore it is simply a glimpse of the result of Your mercy
- Material opulence may be accepted as yukta-vairagya, that is, for renunciation
- Material opulence may be accepted in the Krsna consciousness movement to facilitate the propagation of the movement. In other words, material opulence may be accepted as yukta-vairagya, that is, for renunciation
- Material opulence may be somewhat pleasing for the time being, but to come to that temporary pleasing condition one must work extremely hard. When a poor man is rich he may be better situated, but to come to that position he had to accept many miseries
- Material wealth and opulence attained through previous pious activities can be fully utilized for one's benefit in this life and the next if one is Krsna conscious. One should not try to possess more than he needs for the bare necessities
- Materially opulent disciple
- Materially opulent men, being puffed up with the accumulation of wealth, also become so merciless that they indulge in killing animals by opening slaughterhouses. And they think that they themselves will never die
- Mucukunda continued, "By Your causeless mercy (Krsna's) only have I lost all my material opulences, my kingdom and my family. I do not think I could have gotten rid of all these entanglements without Your causeless mercy"
- My lord, you can also see that all the material opulences of this world are certainly separated from their possessor at death
- Nalakuvara and Manigriva were great devotees of Lord Siva, but because of material opulence they became so extravagant and senseless that one day they were enjoying with naked girls in a lake and shamelessly walking here and there
- Narada spoke as follows: "First I may inform You (Krsna) that King Yudhisthira has all material opulences which are possible to achieve in the highest planetary system, Brahmaloka"
- Narada spoke as follows: "He (Yudhisthira) has no material opulence for which to aspire, and yet he wants to perform the Rajasuya sacrifice only to get Your (Krsna's) association and please You"
- Neither any material opulence, nor a qualified brahmana with twelve high qualifications can satisfy the Lord simply by such acquisition. One can satisfy the Lord simply by love and devotional service
- Nor can one use his power of religion, his material opulence or any other means, either by himself or with the help of others, to defy the orders of the Supreme Lord. That is not possible for any living being, from Brahma down to the ant
- O Lord, for those who always engage in Your service, which is more exalted than liberation, all material opulence is insignificant. They do not even care for liberation, not to speak of the benefits of kama, artha and dharma
- O Supreme Lord, if persons obsessed with material desires for sense gratification through material opulence worship You, who are the source of all knowledge and are transcendental to material qualities, they are not subject to material rebirth
- Of what use are persons who are puffed up with material opulence and prestige if they are bereft of the association of saintly persons and devotees of the Supreme Personality of Godhead?
- On the other hand, the devotees of Lord Visnu, who is the controller of the goddess of fortune, do not appear very prosperous, and sometimes they are even found living without any material opulence at all
- Once upon a time, King Yudhisthira was sitting on his throne in the palace constructed by the demon Maya. His four brothers, other relatives, & Krsna, were present, and the material opulence of King Yudhisthira seemed no less than that of Lord Brahma
- One can accumulate wealth and all kinds of material opulences, but during old age one cannot enjoy them
- One cannot attain shelter at the lotus feet of Lord Krsna or Sri Caitanya Gosani through material opulence; that shelter is attainable only by pure devotional service
- One should not mistakenly think that the material opulence of a devotee is the result of his devotional service
- One should surrender fully to the Lord, forgetting one's so-called material happiness, opulence and education, which are not at all useful for pleasing the Lord. The Lord is pleased only by the process of surrender unto Him
- One's riches, beautiful wife and female friends, one's sons and daughters, one's residence, one's domestic animals like cows - indeed, even the lifetime in which one can enjoy all these material opulences - are certainly temporary and flickering
- Only thieves and rogues in the modes of passion and ignorance and maddened by material opulence offer a man in sacrifice before the goddess Kali. This is not sanctioned by the Vedic instructions
- Prahlada Maharaja prays that Lord Nrsimhadeva place him in touch with a pure devotee and servant instead of awarding him material opulence. Every intelligent man within this material world must follow Prahlada Maharaja
- Prahlada Maharaja, in his prayers, has described the transcendental qualities of the Lord and has also described how the various abodes of the demigods and demons, regardless of how materially opulent, are destroyed by the mere direction of the Lord
- Presently there are many hundreds and thousands of slaughterhouses throughout the world that are maintained by a puffed-up population mad for material opulence. Such activities are never supported by the Bhagavata school
- Princes offered prayers to Krsna, "O Lord, O Supreme Personality of Godhead, we must admit that before this we were puffed up with our material opulences. It was as if we were intoxicated"
- Sages said, "Self-controlled person, in householder life, should give up the three kinds of material desires, namely the desire for the acquisition of material opulences, for the enjoyment of wife and children, and for elevation to higher planets"
- Saubhari Rsi was a great yogi. Yogic perfection makes available eight material opulences - anima, laghima, mahima, prapti, prakamya, isitva, vasitva and kamavasayita
- Seeing Indra's transgression of etiquette, he completely understood that Indra was puffed up by his material opulence. Although able to curse Indra, he did not do so. Instead, he left the assembly and in silence returned to his home
- Since the opportunity of human life is temporary, what benefit can these material opulences give to a sensible man who has understood himself to be eternal?
- Sometimes Krsna, to show some special favor to His devotee, He takes away his all material opulences
- Sometimes the living entity is interested in the yellow stool known as gold and runs after it. That gold is the source of material opulence and envy, and it can enable one to afford illicit sex, gambling, meat-eating and intoxication
- Sometimes yogis and jnanis voluntarily give up all material opulences to practice their system of liberation and taste spiritual bliss. However, they frequently fall down because artificial renunciation of material opulences cannot endure
- Sovereignty over the three worlds is very insignificant because whatever material opulence one may possess lasts only for an age of Manu, which is but a tiny fraction of endless time
- Srila Visvanatha Cakravarti Thakura comments that those who seek gold and silver can worship Lord Siva for material opulences
- Sudama thought, "Aspiring for elevation to the heavenly planets, liberation, all kinds of material opulence, or perfection in the powers of mystic yoga, everyone throughout the universe worships the lotus feet of Lord Krsna"
- Sukadeva Gosvami said to Pariksit, "He (king Bharata) was so very lucky that the goddess of fortune was pleased to offer him all kinds of material concessions, but he never accepted any of these material opulences"
- The association of pure devotees, the mercy of Krsna and the rendering of devotional service - all these help one give up the association of nondevotees and the material opulence awarded by the external energy, maya
- The attraction for material enjoyment is due to an increase of the mode of passion. A person in the material world, when favored by the material opulence of riches, generally becomes addicted to three things - intoxication, sex and gambling
- The benedictions derived from demigods are appreciated only by the less intelligent class of men. Persons who derive benedictions from the demigods gradually become puffed up with material opulence and neglectful of their benefactors
- The city of Varanasi had been filled with all these material opulences for a very long time
- The demigods in the celestial heavenly planets, who are appointed administrators of the material affairs, are also devotees of the Lord. But, at the same time, they have desires for material opulence and sense gratification
- The demigods, who are very puffed up by their material opulence, pray to the Lord only for material happiness, not knowing anything better. Devotees like Prahlada Maharaja, however, do not want material happiness
- The entire American nation has tried to advance in material opulence without striving to produce ideal human beings. The result is that Americans are now regretting the wholesale criminality of American society
- The governors of the various planets are certainly materially opulent and very puffed up. Such persons are unable to understand the transcendental, eternal form of the Lord
- The great sage Narada thereafter thought that it was his duty to put those demigods into a condition where they could not be falsely proud of their material opulence and prestige. Narada was compassionate and wanted to save them from their fallen life
- The greatest reputation a living being can have is to be a devotee of Krsna and to act in Krsna consciousness. In the material world everyone is trying to be famous by accumulating a large bank balance or material opulence
- The humble devotee simply prays to the Lord, "Kindly pick me up from the material world, which is full of varieties of material opulence, and keep me under the shelter of Your lotus feet"
- The kings continued: "We consider our position Your (Krsna's) causeless, unalloyed mercy upon us because now we can understand that we were falsely proud and that our material opulences could be withdrawn from us within a second by Your will"
- The living entity wants to enjoy different types of material opulences, and to this end nature has given him various holes in his body that he can utilize for sense enjoyment
- The Lord had no intention of awarding His devotee the happiness of material opulence, yet simply because of His being informed, such a great result was obtained
- The Lord said, "When they (pure devotees) are not interested even in these liberated positions, you can know how little they care for material opulences or material liberation"
- The material opulences a person obtains by offering prayers to the goddess Durga are temporary
- The material opulences a person obtains by offering prayers to the goddess Durga are temporary. As described in Bhagavad-gita, antavat tu phalam tesam tad bhavaty alpa-medhasam: men of meager intelligence desire temporary happiness
- The material position is one wants to become religious, dharma. Why? Now, he can get material opulence. Oh, why material opulences? Now, because he can gratify his senses, kama. And when he is frustrated, then he wants moksa
- The poverty-stricken condition is a kind of austerity. According to Vedic culture, therefore, the brahmanas, as a matter of routine, keep themselves in a poverty-stricken condition to save themselves from the false prestige of material opulence
- The purport is that one can accumulate wealth and all kinds of material opulences, but during old age one cannot enjoy them. Although Puru attained his father's kingdom, he could not enjoy all the opulence, for he had sacrificed his youth
- The purport is that when a person is a pure devotee but at the same time, by miscalculation, wants to lord it over material nature, the Lord shows His special mercy by taking away all material opulences until at last he surrenders unto the Supreme Lord
- The satisfaction of possessing material opulences, although perhaps of a different standard, is available even in the lives of dogs and hogs, who cannot revive their eternal relationship with Krsna
- The SPG did not award His mercy to Bali Maharaja by giving him material happiness and opulence, for these make one forget loving service to the Lord. The result of material opulence is that one can no longer absorb his mind in the SPG
- The statement of the brahmana Sudama is correct. An ordinary man who is very poor and prays to the Lord for benediction in material opulence, and who somehow or other becomes richer in material opulence, immediately forgets his obligation to the Lord
- The Supreme Personality of Godhead is to be known as the supreme reservoir of all material opulences by the one fourth of His energy in which all the living entities exist
- The Supreme Personality of Godhead said: My dear Lord Brahma, because of material opulence a foolish person becomes dull-witted and mad. Thus he has no respect for anyone within the three worlds and defies even My authority
- The thing is that this country is not poverty stricken. So after material opulence the natural tendency is for something which is better. That better is spiritual enlightenment
- The two great demigods Nalakuvara and Manigriva were sons of the treasurer of the demigods, Kuvera, who was a great devotee of Lord Siva. By the grace of Lord Siva, Kuvera’s material opulences had no limit
- There are different types of material opulence, known technically as bhukti, mukti and siddhi
- There is no need for a devotee of Krsna to endeavor for material opulence or liberation. By being situated in the transcendental position of devotional service, he receives all the benefits of dharma, artha, kama and moksa
- This Sankhacuda was also puffed up over material opulence. He thought that Krsna and Balarama were two ordinary cowherd boys enjoying the company of many beautiful girls
- Those who are not atma-tattva-vit, who do not know the spiritual value of life, can be satisfied with external material opulences, but those who are atma-tattva-vit are not inspired by material opulence
- Thus he ordered the Samvartaka cloud to go and destroy the prosperity of Vrndavana. "The men of Vrndavana," said Indra, "have become too puffed up over their material opulence and are overconfident due to the presence of their tiny friend, Krsna"
- Thus the conditioned soul becomes free from material existence and loses interest in the bodily conception of life, including material opulence, material knowledge and material attraction of all variety
- To be nirguna means to be bereft of material opulences because, as we have explained, material opulence means an increase of the actions and reactions of the three material qualities
- When a devotee becomes materially opulent, that is also not due to his pious activities
- When a devotee is thus put into so-called miserable conditions and bereft of riches and family, he tries to revive his original position of material opulence. But although he tries again and again, Krsna again and again takes away all his resources
- When a person is sinful, he loses both the chance for spiritual advancement and the chance for material opulence. If one enjoys the material world for sense gratification, he is certainly doomed
- When one possesses material opulence in any of these three divisions (upper, lower and middle planetary systems) of the universe, his possessions naturally increase his enmity, anxiety, mental agitation, pride and belligerence
- Where there is no disagreement between husband and wife, all material opulence is present, and good children are born
- While enjoying his material opulences with full strength and influence, Priyavrata once began to consider that although he had fully surrendered to Narada and was actually on the path of KC, he had somehow become again entangled in material activities
- Who in this world does not want to possess wealth, beauty and the social respectability that come from these opulences? People generally desire material enjoyment, material opulence and the association of aristocratic family members
- Yasoda thought, "Therefore let a curse be on this milk! And I also am condemned because although I am so opulent in material prosperity"
- Yogic perfection makes available eight material opulences - anima, laghima, mahima, prapti, prakamya, isitva, vasitva and kamavasayita
- Yogic perfection makes available eight material opulences - anima, laghima, mahima, prapti, prakamya, isitva, vasitva and kamavasayita. Saubhari Muni exhibited super-excellence in material enjoyment by dint of his yogic perfection
- Your real mercy has been granted to Ramananda Raya and Vaninatha Raya, for You have detached them from all material opulence. I think that I have not been favored by such mercy
- Yudhisthira said, "As far as we are concerned, we are fully surrendered unto Your (Krsna's) lotus feet, and by Your grace we are so fortunate as to see You personally. Therefore, naturally we have no desire for material opulences"
- Yudhisthira said, "People who do not want to be freed from this material existence but desire to enjoy material opulences, their desires are also fulfilled by their Krsna conscious activities"