God and Lord Siva
This category has the following 2 subcategories, out of 2 total.
Pages in category "God and Lord Siva"
The following 88 pages are in this category, out of 88 total.
- After hearing Lord Siva's statement, Banasura, who was very much puffed up with his power, became elated that he would meet someone able to smash him to pieces. Banasura then returned home with great pleasure
- All three, namely Brahma, Visnu and Siva, are incarnations of the Garbhodakasayi Visnu
- Although Citraketu never meant to insult Lord Siva, he should not have criticized the lord, even though the lord was transgressing social customs. It is said, tejiyasam na dosaya: one who is very powerful should be understood to be faultless
- Although we (Yamaraja, Indra, Candra, Siva, Brahma and Surya) are in the mode of goodness, we cannot understand the activities of the Supreme Personality of Godhead. What, then, is to be said of others, who, under illusion, merely speculate to know God?
- Ambika (goddess Durga), who was known as Daksayini (Sati), again accepted Lord Siva as her husband, just as different energies of the Supreme Personality of Godhead act during the course of a new creation
- Anasuya, the wife of Rsi Atri, prayed before the Lords Brahma, Visnu and Siva as follows: "My lords, if you are pleased with me, and if you desire me to ask from you some sort of blessings, then I pray that you combine together to become my son"
- At Vrddhakola, Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu visited the temple of Sveta-varaha, the white boar incarnation. After offering Him respects, the Lord visited the temple of Lord Siva, wherein the deity is dressed with yellow garments
- Because Lord Siva is directly an incarnation of Lord Visnu, he is situated as Lord Visnu's direct representative. This fact is corroborated by a Vedic mantra: patim visvasyatmesvaram sasvatam. sivam acyutam
- Before the creation there was none except Vasudeva. There was neither Brahma nor Sankara. Only Narayana was there and no one else, neither Brahma nor Isana
- Being disappointed even in taking shelter of Lord Siva, Durvasa Muni went to Vaikuntha-dhama, where the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Narayana, resides with His consort, the goddess of fortune
- Being pleased with Banasura, he (Siva) said, "Whatever you desire you can have from me, for I am very much pleased with you." Banasura replied, "My dear lord, if you please, you can remain in my city just to protect me from the hands of my enemies"
- Bhisma wanted to impress upon Maharaja Yudhisthira that since time immemorial no one, including such demigods as Siva and Brahma, could ascertain the real plan of the Lord. So what can we understand about it?
- Brahma creates, Visnu maintains, and Lord Siva destroys. But all such agents and creative energies are emanations from the Lord, and as such there is nothing except the Lord, or the one supreme source of different diversities
- Brahma, Visnu and Siva are His three incarnations of the material qualities. Creation, maintenance and destruction respectively are under the charge of these three personalities
- Brahma, Visnu and Siva are qualitative incarnations. Empowered incarnations are those like the Kumaras, King Prthu and Maha-muni Vyasa (the compiler of the Vedas)
- By a combination of potential energies of the Lord there is the manifestation of creation, maintenance and annihilation in due course of time and by different agents like Brahma, Visnu and Mahesvara
- Dear Lord, by virtue of a moment's association with Lord Siva, who's very dear to You and who is Your most intimate friend, we were fortunate to attain You. You're the most expert physician, capable of treating the incurable disease of material existence
- Demigods such as Lord Brahma and Lord Siva come in contact with the material energy, and their power and potency are therefore of different gradations. All the incarnations of Visnu, however, are equal in potency
- For creation, maintenance and annihilation, the Supreme Lord incarnates into three - Lord Brahma, Lord Visnu and Lord Siva - after manifesting the material cosmos
- Freed from all sinful reactions are those who concentrate their minds with great attention upon My expansion of energy the goddess of fortune; Lord Brahma; Narada Muni; Lord Siva; Prahlada; My incarnations like Matsya, Kurma and Varaha
- I am engaged by the Supreme Personality of Godhead to create. Following His orders, Lord Siva dissolves everything. The Supreme Personality of Godhead in His form of Ksirodakasayi Visnu maintains all the affairs of material nature
- I worship the Supreme Personality of Godhead, who is greater than any of us and under whose control are situated all the demigods, material elements and senses, and even Lord Brahma and I myself, like birds bound by a rope
- In the Sruti-mantra it is said that only Visnu, the Supreme Lord, existed before the creation, and there was no Brahma, Siva or other demigods
- It is said that the Lord is siva-virinci-nutam (SB 11.5.33)-always worshiped by demigods like Lord Siva and Lord Brahma
- It is said there (Brahmanda Purana) that Anasuya, the wife of Rsi Atri, prayed before the Lords Brahma, Visnu and Siva
- Lord Brahma, who was born of Garbhodakasayi Visnu, fathers Lord Siva, from whom all the other demigods gradually evolve. Lord Brahma, Lord Siva and Lord Visnu are incarnations of the different material qualities
- Lord Ramacandra, whose lotus feet are worshiped by Lord Brahma and Lord Siva, had assumed the form of a human being. Thus He performed the funeral ceremony of Jatayu, who was killed by Ravana
- Lord Sambhu (Siva) was not to be captivated by the external potency, but because Lord Visnu wanted to captivate Him also, He exhibited His internal potency to act the way that His external potency acts to captivate ordinary living entities
- Lord Siva explains to his wife, Parvati, the goddess Durga, that the highest goal of life is to satisfy Lord Visnu, who can be satisfied only when His servant is satisfied
- Lord Siva is in the marginal position between the Personality of Godhead and the living entities, or jivas
- Lord Siva prayed to Lord Sankarsana, "My dear Lord, please liberate all Your devotees from material life and bind all the nondevotees to the material world. Without Your mercy, no one can be released from the bondage of material existence"
- Lord Siva said, "My dear Lord, only by Your mercy and grace can the living entity get the human form of life, which is a chance to get out of the miserable condition of material existence"
- Lord Siva said: My dear Lord, my mind & consciousness are always fixed on Your lotus feet, which, as the source of all benediction & the fulfillment of all desires, are worshiped by all liberated great sages because Your lotus feet are worthy of worship
- Lord Siva, Narada the sage amongst the demigods, and Kapila, the incarnation of Godhead, all know very confidentially about His glories through direct contact
- Lord Siva, who is also known as Visvanatha, is the lord of the kingdom of Kasi. The temple of Lord Visvanatha is still existing in Varanasi, and many thousands of pilgrims still gather daily in that temple
- Lord Siva, who is carried by a bull, went to the place where Madhusudana, the Lord, resides. Accompanied by his wife, Uma, and surrounded by his companions, the ghosts, Lord Siva went there to see the Lord's form as a woman
- Lord Siva, who is considered to be most tolerant, was also struck by Cupid's arrow because he also became mad after the Mohini incarnation of the Lord and acknowledged himself to be defeated
- Lord Vamana pierced the covering of the universe with the toes of His left foot. A few drops of water from the Causal Ocean leaked through this hole and fell on the head of Lord Siva, where they remained for one thousand millenniums
- Mahendra, the King of Heaven, was generated from the prowess of the Lord, the demigods were generated from the mercy of the Lord, Lord Siva was generated from the anger of the Lord, and Lord Brahma from His sober intelligence
- My dear great and powerful Lord Siva, you were created first from the mouth of Lord Brahma in order to protect the brahmanas in pursuing education, austerities, vows and self-realization
- My dear King Yudhisthira, the demigods then approached the Lord. They were headed by Lord Brahma, King Indra and Lord Siva and included great saintly persons and the residents of Pitrloka, Siddhaloka, Vidyadhara-loka and the planet of the snakes
- My dear lord (Siva), you have given me (Banasura) one thousand arms, but I do not know what to do with them. They are simply a burden; I cannot use them properly in fighting, since I cannot find anyone competent to fight with me except your lordship
- My dear Lord Siva, you are a shareholder of a portion of the sacrifice, and you are the giver of the result. The bad priests did not deliver your share, and therefore you destroyed everything, and the sacrifice remains unfinished
- My dear lord, by your mercy the performer of the sacrifice (King Daksa) may get back his life, Bhaga may get back his eyes, Bhrgu his mustache, and Pusa his teeth
- My dear Lord, devotees who have fully dedicated their lives unto your lotus feet certainly observe your presence as Paramatma in each and every being, and as such they do not differentiate between one living being and another
- My dear Lord, I wish to see You exactly in the form that Your very dear devotees worship. You have many other forms, but I wish to see Your form that is especially liked by the devotees
- My dear Lord, the impersonal Brahman spreads everywhere, like the sunshine or the sky. And that impersonal Brahman, which spreads throughout the universe and in which the entire universe is manifested, is You
- My dear lord, you are never bewildered by the formidable influence of the illusory energy of the SPG. Therefore you are omniscient and should be merciful and compassionate toward those who are bewildered by the same illusory energy
- My dear lord, Your Lordship has introduced the system of sacrifices through the agency of Daksa, and thus one may derive the benefits of religious activities and economic development
- My dear Lord, Your lotus feet are the cause of all auspicious things & the destroyer of all the contamination of sin. I therefore beg Your Lordship to bless me by the association of Your devotees, who are completely purified by worshiping Your lotus feet
- My Lord, O Aniruddha, You are the authority by which the doors of the higher planetary systems and liberation are opened. You are always within the pure heart of the living entity. Therefore I offer my obeisances unto You
- My Lord, You are the provider of the Pitrlokas as well as all the demigods. You are the predominating deity of the moon and the master of all three Vedas. I offer my respectful obeisances unto You because You are the original source of satisfaction
- O my Lord, I, who am considered to be the best of the demigods, and Lord Brahma and the great rsis, headed by Marici, are born of the mode of goodness. Nonetheless, we are bewildered by Your illusory energy and cannot understand what this creation is
- O my Lord, You deliver Your devotees from the clutches of material existence. Nondevotees, however, remain entangled in material existence by Your will. Kindly accept me as Your eternal servant
- O Supreme, because I was born in a family full of the hellish material qualities of passion and ignorance, what is my position? And what is to be said of Your causeless mercy, which was never offered even to Lord Brahma, Lord Siva or Laksmi?
- Seeing Lord Siva very much aggrieved and disappointed, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Lord Visnu, considered how to stop this nuisance created by Maya Danava
- Since Lord Siva was being harassed by the woman (Mohini-murti), it is to be understood that this was being done not by a woman but by Lord Visnu Himself
- Siva is one of the many sons of Brahma, and he annihilates the creation. Therefore the original creator of the universe is Visnu, and He is also the maintainer of the created beings by His causeless mercy
- The adjustment is that the Lord, being bhakta-vatsala, or one who wants to please His devotees, assumes such features so that devotees like Lord Brahma, Lord Siva and other demigods may be pleased
- The Atharva Veda (Maha Upanisad) also states, "Only Narayana existed in the beginning, when neither Brahma, nor Siva, nor fire, nor water, nor stars, nor sun, nor moon existed. The Lord does not remain alone but creates as He desires"
- The demigods like Brahma, Visnu, Mahesvara, Indra, Candra and Varuna are undoubtedly different forms of the Lord for execution of different functions; the different elemental ingredients of material creation, as well as the multifarious energies
- The difference (between Lord Siva and Lord Visnu) is like that between milk and curd. Curd is nothing but milk, and yet it cannot be used in place of milk
- The different manifestations of Lord Siva, the Adityas, the Vasus, the Sadhyas, the Visvadevas, the two Asvins, the Maruts, the forefathers and the Gandharvas, the Yaksas, Asuras, and all perfected demigods are beholding You in wonder. BG 11.22 - 1972
- The energies are acting by combination and permutation by the indication of the Lord, and the acting agents, like Brahma, Visnu and Siva, are also different incarnations of the Lord
- The entire material world is situated on the hoods of Lord Sankarsana. From His forehead He transmits to Lord Siva the power to destroy this material world
- The Gandharvas said: Dear Lord, all the demigods, including Lord Siva, Lord Brahma, Indra and Marici and the great sages, are all only differentiated parts and parcels of Your body
- The lord (Siva) had to take shelter of Visnu to save himself from trouble, and the Lord Visnu, by His illusory potency, asked Vrkasura to make an experiment with his own head
- The Lord's various expansions, such as Lord Brahma, Lord Siva, Candra and Indra, all thought, "Gajendra is not asking our help. He is asking the help of the Supreme, who is above all of us"
- The material energy is a potency of the Lord which is displayed in time, accepting the three qualities of goodness, passion and ignorance in the forms of Visnu, Brahma and Siva
- The prajapatis offered their prayers as follows: O Supreme Lord, Lord of even Brahma and Siva, we, the prajapatis, were created by You to execute Your orders, but we were forbidden by Hiranyakasipu to create any more good progeny
- The Supreme Lord, who can award liberation to anyone, showed more mercy toward the gopis than to Lord Brahma, Lord Siva or even the goddess of fortune, who is His own wife and is associated with His body
- The Supreme Personality of Godhead controls all the most important demigods - especially Lord Brahma and Lord Siva - exactly as the owner of a bird controls it by binding it with a rope. Sometimes vultures are controlled in this way
- The Supreme Personality of Godhead is not properly understood even by Lord Siva or Lord Brahma, what to speak of others, but He can be understood by the process of bhakti-yoga
- The Supreme Personality of Godhead is the supreme independent controlling person, and all the demigods, including Lord Brahma, Lord Siva, Indra (the King of heaven), the king of the moon planet and the king of the sun planet, work under His direction
- The Supreme Personality of Godhead, the Absolute Truth, is not like a material object that can be known by experimental knowledge or sense perception. In the Narada Pancaratra this fact has been explained by Narayana Himself to Lord Siva
- There are qualitative incarnations such as Brahma, Visnu, and Siva (or Rudra) who take charge of the different modes of material nature
- There he saw Lord Mahadeva (Siva), the servant of Lord Rama. He then went to Ahovala-nrsimha
- There is no difference of opinion between Lord Siva and Lord Visnu
- This (prayers by Anasuya) was accepted by the lords (Brahma, Visnu and Siva), and as Dattatreya the Lord expounded the philosophy of the spirit soul and especially instructed Alarka, Prahlada, Yadu, Haihaya, etc
- Twelve personalities - Brahma, Narada, Lord Siva, Kumara, Kapila, Manu, Prahlada Maharaja, Janaka Maharaja, Bhisma, Bali, Sukadeva Gosvami and Yamaraja - are agents of the Lord authorized to speak and propagate the principles of religion