Category:Sri Caitanya-caritamrta, Antya-lila Chapter 09 - The Deliverance of Gopinatha Pattanayaka
Pages in category "Sri Caitanya-caritamrta, Antya-lila Chapter 09 - The Deliverance of Gopinatha Pattanayaka"
The following 151 pages are in this category, out of 151 total.
- After all, he said, "Gopinatha Pattanayaka is your faithful servant. To condemn a servant to death is not good behavior"
- After hearing this explanation, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu replied with affectionate anger. "Gopinatha Pattanayaka does not want to pay the King the money that is due," the Lord said. "How then is the King at fault in punishing him"
- After hearing this, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu spoke in an angry mood. "You want to order Me to go to the King," He said
- After offering obeisances to Kasi Misra, the King returned to his palace and called for both Gopinatha and the eldest prince
- After saying this, Kasi Misra left the abode of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and returned to his own temple. At noon King Prataparudra came to Kasi Misra's home
- After saying this, the King appointed him by offering him a silken wrapper for his body. "Go to Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu," he said. "After taking permission from Him, go to your home. I bid you farewell. Now you may go"
- All glories to Advaita Acarya, who is very merciful! All glories to the devotees of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, who are always overwhelmed by transcendental bliss
- All glories to Sri Krsna Caitanya Mahaprabhu, the most merciful incarnation! All glories to Lord Nityananda, whose heart is always compassionate
- All kinds of people would come to see the Lord, and upon seeing Him they would be overwhelmed with ecstatic love for Krsna. In this way Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu passed His days and nights
- All the family members of Bhavananda Raya are engaged in government service, but they spend the government's revenue in various ways
- All the members of Ramananda Raya's family are Your eternal servants. Now they are in danger. It is not befitting for You to be indifferent to them in this way
- As a beggar sannyasi, a mendicant, I wish to live alone in a solitary place, but these people come to tell Me about their unhappiness and disturb Me
- As long as King Prataparudra stayed in Purusottama, he performed one regular duty
- At that time another person came there in great haste, bringing the news that Vaninatha Raya and his entire family had been arrested
- At that time Kasi Misra came to the residence of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, and the Lord talked with him with some agitation
- Because he is mad after sense gratification, the Lord said, 'he acts as a government servant but spends the government's revenue for various sinful activities'
- Because of my intimate relationship with them, I have absolved Gopinatha Pattanayaka of all his debts. Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu does not know this fact. Whatever I have done is because of my intimate relationship with the family of Bhavananda Raya
- Being unable to see Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, the populace outside His room would make a tumultuous sound. Thus Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu would go outside and tell them, "Chant Hare Krsna"
- Bhavananda Raya and his entire family are your servants. Therefore it is quite fitting for You to save the son of Bhavananda Raya
- Bhavananda Raya is worthy of my worship and respect. Therefore I am always naturally affectionate to his sons
- Bhavananda Raya, along with his five sons, fell at the lotus feet of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, who lifted him up and embraced him
- By the mercy of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, one can certainly become spiritually advanced. Indeed, no one can estimate the results of His mercy
- Do not again misappropriate the revenue of the government. In case you think your salary insufficient, henceforward it will be doubled
- Don't spend a farthing for sinful activities, for which you will be the loser both in this life and the next. After saying this, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu bade them farewell
- Dressed in different ways, people from the seven islands and nine khandas visited Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu
- During the day He chanted, danced and saw Lord Jagannatha in the temple. At night He tasted transcendental bliss in the company of Ramananda Raya and Svarupa Damodara
- Go personally to Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and keep Him at Jagannatha Puri with great attention. I shall excuse Gopinatha Pattanayaka from all his debts
- Go there and adjust everything. I want only the payment, not his life
- Gopinatha Pattanayaka achieved the result of kingly opulence due to but a glimpse of the Lord's mercy. Therefore no one can calculate the full value of His mercy
- Gopinatha Pattanayaka criticized the prince. He was unafraid of the prince because the King was very kind toward him
- Gopinatha Pattanayaka is a good gentleman. He does not desire material benefits from You
- Gopinatha Pattanayaka is a pure devotee who worships You only for Your satisfaction. He does not care about his personal happiness or distress, for that is the business of a materialist
- Gopinatha Pattanayaka is in charge of collecting money on behalf of the government, but he misappropriates it. Not fearing the King, he squanders it to see dancing girls
- Gopinatha Pattanayaka replied, 'There is no money I can immediately give you in cash. Please give me time. Gradually I shall purchase and sell my gross goods and in this way fill your treasury'
- Gopinatha Pattanayaka said, 'My horses never turn their necks or look upward. Therefore the price for them should not be reduced'
- Gopinatha Pattanayaka was lifted onto the canga to be killed, and all his money was taken away, but instead his debts were excused, and he was appointed collector in the same place
- Gopinatha Pattanayaka would collect some and pay some, spending it at will, but I would not consider this very seriously. This time, however, he was put into trouble because of a misunderstanding with the prince
- Gopinatha Pattanayaka, his head covered with the silken wrapper, fell at the lotus feet of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and described in detail the King's mercy toward him
- Haricandana then returned and informed the prince of the King's desire, and immediately Gopinatha Pattanayaka was taken down from the canga
- Having been appointed collector, Gopinatha, in the same way, also generally spends 200,000 to 400,000 kahanas as he likes
- Having heard from Kasi Misra all these statements concerning the King's mentality, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu was very happy. At that time, Bhavananda Raya arrived there
- He counted the chants on the fingers of both hands, and after he had finished chanting one thousand times, he would make a mark on his body
- He does not pay the revenue to the King, but he wants My help for release. This is a greatly sinful affair. I cannot tolerate it here
- He said, "All these members of my family are Your eternal servants. You have saved us from this great danger. Therefore You have purchased us for a proper price"
- He said, "My dear King, please hear one uncommon item of news. Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu wants to leave Jagannatha Puri and go to Alalanatha"
- He said, "The King has excused me for the balance due. He has reappointed me to my post by honoring me with this silken cloth and has doubled my salary"
- He served in the place known as Malajathya Dandapata, soliciting and collecting money there and depositing it in the government treasury
- He sneered at Purusottama Jana. Therefore the prince tried to scare him as a punishment
- He would come daily to the house of Kasi Misra to massage his lotus feet. The King would also hear from him about how opulently Lord Jagannatha was being served
- Hearing about this, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu was extremely sorry at heart, and in anger He chastised Gopinatha Pattanayaka
- Hearing this criticism, the prince became very angry. Going before the King, he made some false allegations against Gopinatha Pattanayaka
- Hearing this news, all the devotees again appealed to the Lord, but the Lord replied, "I am a beggar. It is impossible for Me to do anything about this"
- His only fault is that he owes some money to the government. If he is killed, however, what profit will there be? The government will be the loser, for it will not get the money
- However, because he has received the mercy of Your lotus feet, he does not even accept his father's money. Instead he eats by begging alms from centers for the distribution of food
- However, just obey one order from Me. Do not spend any of the King's revenue
- I cannot stay here any longer, the Lord said. "I shall go to Alalanatha. There are too many disturbances here, and I cannot get any rest"
- I do not care about this small sum of 200,000 kahanas. What to speak of this, I would indeed sacrifice everything at the lotus feet of the Lord, including my life and kingdom
- I have appointed them collectors in various places, and although they spend the government's money, eat, drink, plunder and distribute it as they like, I do not take them very seriously
- I have simply described the chastisement of Gopinatha Pattanayaka and Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu's indifference. But the deep meaning of this behavior is very difficult to understand
- I made Ramananda Raya the governor of Rajamahendri. There is practically no account of whatever money he took and distributed in that position
- I shall gradually pay the balance as I can. Without consideration, however, you were going to take my life. What can I say
- I shall leave Jagannatha Puri and go to Alalanatha, where I shall live peacefully and not hear about all these affairs of materialistic people
- I was lifted upon the canga to be killed, but instead I was honored with this silken cloth. This is all Your mercy
- If even for a moment I could get an interview with Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, I would not care for the profit of millions of cintamani stones
- If I hear about the activities of materialistic persons, My mind becomes agitated. There is no need for Me to stay here and be disturbed in that way
- If one engages in devotional service for Your satisfaction, this will result in his increasingly awakening his dormant love for You. But if one engages in Your devotional service for material purposes, he should be considered a number-one fool
- If one is intelligent, let him perform service to the government, and after paying the government, he can spend whatever money is left
- If you want to save him, you should all pray together at the lotus feet of Jagannatha
- Indeed, when all the devotees had requested the Lord to bestow His mercy upon Gopinatha Pattanayaka, the Lord had replied that He could do nothing
- Inform Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu that all the sons of Bhavananda Raya are especially dear to me. I consider them like members of my family
- It is for Your sake that Raghunatha dasa gave up all his family relationships. His father sent money and men here to serve him
- It is not Gopinatha who sent all those men so that You would release him from his plight. Rather, his friends and servants, seeing his distressed condition, informed You because they all knew that Gopinatha is a soul surrendered unto You
- It is only for Your sake that Ramananda Raya resigned from the governorship of South India and Sanatana Gosvami gave up his post as minister
- It was not the desire of Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu that Gopinatha Pattanayaka be excused of his debt to the government, nor was it His desire that his salary be doubled or that he be reappointed collector at the same place
- It would be better to take the horses for a proper price and let him gradually repay the balance. Why are you killing him unnecessarily
- Kasi Misra caught hold of the Lord's lotus feet and said, "Why should You be agitated by these affairs"
- Kasi Misra hinted to the King, "It is not the Lord's desire that you forfeit the payment. He is unhappy only because the whole family is troubled"
- Kasi Misra said, "Excusing Gopinatha Pattanayaka of all his debts will make the Lord unhappy, for that is not His intention"
- Kasi Misra said, "My dear Lord, the King has done this without reservations. Kindly hear his statement"
- Kasi Misra went to Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and informed Him in detail of all the King's intentions
- Kindly bestow upon me Your pure mercy so that I may also become renounced. I am no longer interested in material enjoyment
- Kindly stay here at Jagannatha Puri. Why should You go to Alalanatha? Henceforward, no one will approach You about material affairs
- Of course, a sannyasi or brahmana may beg for up to five gandas, but why should he be granted the inappropriate sum of 200,000 kahanas of conchshells
- On one hand Gopinatha Pattanayaka was unable to clear his debt even by selling all his possessions, but on the other his salary was doubled, and he was honored with the silken wrapper
- On the canga I began meditating upon Your lotus feet, and the power of that remembrance has yielded all these results
- Once when he deposited the collection, however, a balance of 200,000 kahanas of conchshells was due from him. Therefore the King demanded this sum
- One day people suddenly came to Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and informed Him, "Gopinatha Pattanayaka, the son of Bhavananda Raya, has been condemned to death by the bada-jana, the eldest son of the King, and has been raised on the canga"
- One of the princes knew how to estimate the price of horses very well. Thus the King sent for him to come with his ministers and friends
- One who engages in Your devotional service twenty-four hours a day, desiring only Your mercy, will very soon attain shelter at Your lotus feet
- One who serves the government but misappropriates the government's revenue is liable to be punished by the king. That is the verdict of all revealed scriptures
- People from the three worlds used to come visit Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu. Anyone who saw Him received the transcendental treasure of love for Krsna
- Prahlada Maharaja, Bali Maharaja, Vyasadeva, Sukadeva Gosvami and other great sages came to visit Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu. Upon seeing Him, they became unconscious in ecstatic love for Krsna
- Seeing the extraordinary mercy the Lord granted to the family of Bhavananda Raya, everyone was struck with wonder. They could not understand the behavior of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu always felt waves of separation from Krsna, externally and internally. His mind and body were agitated by various spiritual transformations
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu embraced them all and bade them farewell. Then all the devotees got up and left, loudly chanting the holy name of Hari
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu gave so much to Gopinatha Pattanayaka without directly making requests of either Kasi Misra or the King
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu inquired from the messenger, "What was Vaninatha doing when he was arrested and brought there"
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu inquired, "Why is the King chastising him?" Thereupon the people described the entire incident
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu said, "If you all adopt the renounced order and lose interest in dealing with pounds, shillings and pence, who will take charge of maintaining your large family"
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu said, "The King must personally realize the money that is due. I am but a sannyasi, a member of the renounced order. What can I do"
- Struck with wonder by my affairs, the populace is glorifying the greatness of Your mercy
- That prince had a personal idiosyncrasy of turning his neck and facing the sky, looking here and there again and again
- The bada-jana has placed swords beneath the platform, they said, "and will throw Gopinatha upon them. O Lord, only if You protect him will he be saved"
- The inhabitants of the seven higher planetary systems and the inhabitants of the seven lower planetary systems, including the demons and serpentine living entities, all visited Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu in the dress of human beings
- The innumerable, glorious followers of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu brought a constant flood to the desertlike hearts of the unfortunate with an inundation of ecstatic love
- The intentions of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu are so deep that one can understand them only if he has complete faith in service to the lotus feet of the Lord
- The King answered in surprise, "I did not know about all this. Why should his life be taken? I only want the money from him"
- The King replied, "I had no desire to give pain to Gopinatha Pattanayaka and his family, nor did I know about his being lifted onto the canga to be thrown on the swords and killed"
- The King replied, 'You can adopt whatever means you think best. Any device by which you can somehow or other realize the money is all right'
- The King said, "I shall absolve Gopinatha Pattanayaka of all his debts, but don't speak of this to the Lord. Simply let Him know that all the family members of Bhavananda Raya, including Gopinatha Pattanayaka, are naturally my dear friends"
- The King said, Speak to the Lord in such a way that He will not think, "For My sake the King has forfeited 200,000 kahanas of kaudis"
- The King told Gopinatha Pattanayaka, "You are excused for all the money you owe the treasury, and the place known as Malajathya Dandapata is again given to you for collections"
- The King wanted his revenue paid and did not want to enforce punishment. Therefore the King is certainly very religious. But Gopinatha Pattanayaka is a great cheat
- The Lord had no intention of awarding His devotee the happiness of material opulence, yet simply because of His being informed, such a great result was obtained
- The messenger replied, "He was fearlessly, incessantly chanting the maha-mantra - Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare, Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare"
- The prince created this situation without my knowledge, but actually I consider all the sons of Bhavananda Raya to be like my relatives
- The prince, however, purposely gave a reduced estimate for the value of the horses. When Gopinatha Pattanayaka heard the price quoted, he was very angry
- The revenue of the government is more sacred than the property of a brahmana. One who misappropriates the government's money and uses it to enjoy sense gratification is most sinful
- Then all the devotees, headed by Svarupa Damodara Gosvami, fell at the lotus feet of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and submitted the following plea
- Then another person came with the news that Gopinatha had already been set up to be thrown upon the points of the swords
- Then he was told that the King demanded the money due him and asked what means he would adopt to pay it. "Kindly take my horses," he replied, "for a proper price"
- Then the government took all the horses for a proper price, a time was set for payment of the balance, and Gopinatha Pattanayaka was released
- There are ten to twelve good horses. Take them immediately for a proper price. After saying this, he brought all the horses to the door of the King
- They said, "Gopinatha Pattanayaka, the brother of Ramananda Raya, has always been a treasurer for the government"
- This Gopinatha Pattanayaka, he said, 'is unwilling to pay the money due. Instead, he is squandering it under some pretext. If you issue an order, I can put him on the canga and thus realize the money'
- Thus Ramananda Raya, all his brothers and their father met Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu. Then Bhavananda Raya began speaking
- Thus Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu lived at Nilacala (Jagannatha Puri) with His personal devotees, always merged in ecstatic love for Krsna
- Thus the mercy of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu was spoken of in the family of Bhavananda Raya. That mercy was clearly demonstrated, although it appeared to be something different
- Thus the prince went back, raised Gopinatha Pattanayaka onto the platform of the canga and spread swords below upon which to throw him
- What is the fault on the part of the King? He wants the government's money. However, when they are punished for failing to pay the government its due, they come to Me to release them
- When Gopinatha Pattanayaka was lifted onto the canga, he said, "all his servants went to inform Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu"
- When Gopinatha Pattanayaka's servant went to Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and informed the Lord of his plight, the Lord was somewhat agitated and dissatisfied
- When King Prataparudra heard all these details, he felt great pain in his mind. "I shall give up all that is due from Gopinatha Pattanayaka," he said, "if Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu will stay here at Jagannatha Puri"
- When Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu replied in this way, an officer named Haricandana Patra went to the King and spoke with him
- When the King began pressing his lotus feet, Kasi Misra informed him about something through hints
- When the King heard that Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu was going to Alalanatha, he was very unhappy and inquired about the reason. Then Kasi Misra informed him of all the details
- When the King put Gopinatha Pattanayaka on the canga, messengers came four times to inform Me about the incident
- Whether or not one understands it, if one hears of this incident concerning the activities of Gopinatha Pattanayaka and Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu's causeless mercy upon him, certainly he will be promoted to the platform of ecstatic love for the Lord
- Whether you are involved in material activities or become completely renounced, you five brothers are all My eternal servants, birth after birth
- You are a renounced sannyasi. What connections do You have? One who worships You for some material purpose is blind to all knowledge
- You have now demonstrated Your love for Your devotees, just as when You previously saved the five Pandavas from great danger
- Your opinion is that I should go to the King's palace and spread My cloth to beg money from him
- Your real mercy has been granted to Ramananda Raya and Vaninatha Raya, for You have detached them from all material opulence. I think that I have not been favored by such mercy