Category:Sri Caitanya-caritamrta, Antya-lila Chapter 02 - The Chastisement of Junior Haridasa
Pages in category "Sri Caitanya-caritamrta, Antya-lila Chapter 02 - The Chastisement of Junior Haridasa"
The following 157 pages are in this category, out of 157 total.
- A devotee named Chota Haridasa used to sing for Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu. Bhagavan Acarya called him to his home and spoke as follows
- A devotee returned to Navadvipa from Prayaga and told everyone the details of Junior Haridasa's suicide
- Advaita Acarya was just about to go to Jagannatha Puri with the other devotees, but upon hearing this message, He waited. Sivananda Sena and Jagadananda also stayed back, awaiting the arrival of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu
- After all the devotees saw this example (the chastisement of Junior Haridas), a mentality of fear grew among them. Therefore they all stopped talking with women, even in dreams
- After begging the rice from her, Junior Haridasa brought it to Bhagavan Acarya, who was very pleased to see its quality
- After eating all the offerings, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu started for Panihati. There, He was greatly satisfied to see the different varieties of vegetables prepared in the house of Raghava
- After he finished cooking, he brought separate dishes for Jagannatha and Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu
- After meditating for two days, Nrsimhananda Brahmacari told Sivananda Sena, "I have already brought Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu to the village known as Panihati"
- After saying this, Paramananda Puri Gosani left for his own home. Then all the devotees went to see Junior Haridasa
- After saying this, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu entered His room. Seeing Him in such an angry mood, all the devotees fell silent
- After saying this, the Lord called for Govinda. Offering obeisances to Paramananda Puri, He got up and began to leave
- All Your activities are for the benefit of people in general. We cannot understand them, for Your intentions are deep and grave.
- Although Nrsimha Brahmacari felt jubilation within his heart to see Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu eating everything, for the sake of Lord Nrsimhadeva he externally expressed disappointment
- As the month passed but Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu did not come, Jagadananda and Sivananda became most unhappy
- At Jagannatha Puri, in the association of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, lived Bhagavan Acarya, who was certainly a gentleman, a learned scholar and a great devotee
- At noon, when Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu came to eat the offerings of Bhagavan Acarya, He first appreciated the fine rice and therefore questioned him
- At present Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu is persisting in His mood of anger because He is the independent Supreme Personality of Godhead. At some time, however, He will surely be merciful, for at heart He is very kind
- At the end of the year, Sivananda Sena came to Jagannatha Puri as usual, accompanied by the other devotees, and thus in great happiness met Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu
- Beginning early in the morning, Nrsimhananda Brahmacari cooked many varieties of food, including vegetables, cakes, sweet rice and other preparations
- Bhagavan Acarya prepared varieties of rice and vegetables at home and brought the Lord there alone to eat
- Bhagavan Acarya requested Svarupa Damodara Gosvami to hear from Gopala the commentary upon Vedanta. Svarupa Damodara, however, somewhat angry because of love, spoke as follows
- Bhagavan Acarya said to Svarupa Damodara, "Gopala, my younger brother, has returned to my home, having concluded his study of Vedanta philosophy"
- Bhagavan Acarya took his brother to meet Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, but the Lord, knowing that Gopala Bhattacarya was a Mayavadi philosopher, could not get much happiness from meeting him
- Bhagavan Acarya’s brother, whose name was Gopala Bhattacarya, had studied Vedanta philosophy at Benares and had then returned to Bhagavan Acarya’s home
- Bhagavan Acarya’s father, whose name was Satananda Khan, was an expert statesman, whereas Bhagavan Acarya was not at all interested in the management of the state. Indeed, he was almost in the renounced order of life
- Bring all the ingredients very soon, for I want to begin cooking immediately. Please do what I say
- Haridasa cannot have been degraded; he must have attained liberation. This is a pastime of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu's. You will all understand it later
- Haridasa fasted continuously for three days. Then Svarupa Damodara Gosvami and other confidential devotees approached Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu to inquire from Him
- Haridasa must have committed suicide by drinking poison, and because of this sinful act, he has now become a brahmana ghost
- Having said this, Svarupa Damodara Gosvami induced Haridasa to bathe and take prasadam. After thus reassuring him, he returned home
- Having seen the Lord, they all became Vaisnavas. Thus in ecstatic love of Godhead they chanted the Hare Krsna mantra and danced
- He advised whomever he met to chant the holy names Hare Krsna. Thus upon seeing him, people were overwhelmed with love of Godhead
- He alone has eaten the offerings for all three Deities. Because of this, both Jagannatha and Nrsimhadeva remain fasting
- He also separately offered dishes to Nrsimhadeva, his worshipable Deity. Thus he divided all the food into three offerings. Then, outside the temple, he began to meditate upon the Lord
- He continuously exhibited bodily transformations of transcendental love. Thus he cried, trembled, became stunned, perspired, danced in love of Godhead and made sounds like those of a cloud
- He explained how Junior Haridasa had made his resolution and had thus entered the waters at the confluence of the Yamuna and Ganges. Hearing these details, Srivasa Thakura and the other devotees were very surprised
- He sought the shelter of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu's lotus feet with full surrender. Sometimes he would invite the Lord to dine at his home
- He was fully absorbed in thoughts of fraternal relationships with God. He was an incarnation of a cowherd boy, and thus his dealings with Svarupa Damodara Gosvami were very friendly
- Hearing these calls, Sivananda Sena quickly went there, offered obeisances to Nakula Brahmacari, and sat down near him
- Hearing this request, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu replied, "My dear lord, please hear Me. It is better for you to stay here with all the Vaisnavas"
- Hearing this, all the devotees covered their ears with their hands, got up and went about their respective duties
- Hearing this, all the devotees were struck with wonder, and Sivananda became confident that the incident was true
- Hearing this, Nrsimhananda Brahmacari replied, "Please be satisfied. I assure you that I shall bring Him here three days from now"
- His body shone with the same luster as that of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, and he showed the same absorption in ecstatic love of Godhead. People came from all provinces of Bengal to see these symptoms
- His real name was Pradyumna Brahmacari. The name Nrsimhananda had been given to him by Lord Gaurasundara Himself
- I offer my respectful obeisances unto the lotus feet of my spiritual master and of all the other preceptors on the path of devotional service
- I think that Nrsimhadeva could not eat anything today, and therefore He is fasting. If the master fasts, how can the servant live
- Immediately after committing suicide in this way, he went in his spiritual body to Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and received the mercy of the Lord. However, he still remained invisible
- In a spiritual body resembling that of a Gandharva, Junior Haridasa, although invisible, would sing at night for Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu to hear. No one but the Lord, however, knew of this
- In Ambuya-muluka there was a person named Nakula Brahmacari, who was a perfectly pure devotee, greatly advanced in devotional service
- In great affection, Bhagavan Acarya cooked varieties of vegetables and other preparations dear to Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu
- In great haste Paramananda Puri Gosani went before Him and with great humility persuaded Him to sit down in His room
- In His incarnation as Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, Lord Sri Krsna descended to deliver all the living beings in the three worlds, from Brahmaloka down to Patalaloka
- In his inspired state, Nakula Brahmacari said, "Sivananda Sena is staying some distance away. Two or four of you go call him"
- In his meditation he saw Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu quickly come, sit down and eat all three offerings, leaving behind no remnants
- In spite of Svarupa Damodara's protest, Bhagavan Acarya continued, "We are all fixed at the lotus feet of Krsna with our hearts and souls. Therefore the Sariraka-bhasya cannot change our minds"
- In this way a complete year passed for Junior Haridasa, but still there was not a sign of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu's mercy toward him
- In this way I shall bring Him here very soon. Be assured that I am telling you the truth. Do not be doubtful
- In this way Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu delivered the entire three worlds, not only by His personal presence but also by empowering others. I shall briefly describe how He empowered a living being in Bengal
- In this way Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu used to eat at the temple of Sacimata every day and also visit the house of Srivasa Thakura when kirtana was performed
- In this way, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, the son of mother Saci, performs His pastimes, which greatly satisfy the ears and minds of pure devotees who hear about them
- Influenced by the loving affairs of Sivananda Sena, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu came again and again. Therefore who can estimate the limits of his love
- It also demonstrates the glories of holy places and shows how the Lord accepts His faithful devotee. Thus the Lord fulfilled five or seven purposes by performing one pastime
- Jagadananda is there, and he will give Me offerings of food. Inform them all that no one should come to Jagannatha Puri this year
- Junior Haridasa chanted the Hare Krsna mantra throughout his entire life and served the Supreme Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu. Moreover, he is dear to the Lord and has died in a holy place
- Junior Haridasa had conclusively decided to attain shelter at the lotus feet of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu. Thus he entered deep into the water at Triveni, the confluence of the Ganges and Yamuna at Prayaga, and in this way gave up his life
- Nakula Brahmacari became exactly like a man haunted by a ghost. Thus he sometimes laughed, sometimes cried, sometimes danced and sometimes chanted like a madman
- Nakula Brahmacari said, I know that you are doubtful. Now please hear this evidence with great attention"
- No one could see him, but they could hear him singing in a sweet voice. Therefore all the devotees, headed by Govinda, made this guess
- Nrsimhananda Brahmacari said to Sivananda, "Please bring whatever cooking ingredients I want." Thus Sivananda Sena immediately brought whatever he asked for
- One day Bhagavan Acarya invited Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu to dine at his home. Thus he was preparing rice and various types of vegetables
- One day Jagadananda, Svarupa, Govinda, Kasisvara, Sankara, Damodara and Mukunda all went to bathe in the sea. They could hear Haridasa singing from a distant place as if calling them in his original voice
- One day Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu inquired from the devotees, "Where is Haridasa? Now you may bring him here"
- One day, in the presence of all the devotees, the Lord raised these topics concerning Nrsimhananda Brahmacari and praised his transcendental qualities
- One should not sit closely with one's mother, sister or daughter, for the senses are so strong that they may attract even a person advanced in knowledge
- One year, Srikanta Sena came alone to Jagannatha Puri in great eagerness to see the Lord
- Paramananda Puri said, My dear Lord Caitanya, You are the independent Personality of Godhead. You can do whatever You like. Who can say anything above You"
- Paramananda Puri thereupon went alone to the residence of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu. The Lord, after offering him obeisances, seated him by His side with great respect
- People from all over the universe, including the seven islands, the nine khandas, the planets of the demigods, Gandharvaloka and Kinnaraloka, would go there in the forms of human beings
- Please give Me permission to go to Alalanatha. I shall remain there alone, only Govinda will go with Me
- Please go to the sister of Sikhi Mahiti. In my name, ask her for a mana of white rice and bring it here
- Please hear the pastimes of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu with faith and confidence. Do not argue, for arguments will produce a contrary result
- Please inform Sivananda Sena that in the month of Pausa (December-January) I shall certainly go to his home
- Pradyumna Brahmacari was deeply eager to understand this fact. Therefore Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu revealed it to him by a practical demonstration
- Pradyumna Brahmacari was overwhelmed by transcendental ecstasy upon seeing Caitanya Mahaprabhu eating everything
- Praising the quality of the rice, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu partook of the prasadam. Then, after returning to His residence, He gave the following order to Govinda, His personal assistant
- Seeing Srikanta Sena, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu bestowed causeless mercy upon him. Srikanta Sena stayed near Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu for about two months at Jagannatha Puri
- Sikhi Mahiti's sister was named Madhavi-devi. She was an elderly lady who always performed austerities. She was very advanced in devotional service
- Similarly, He was always present when Nityananda Prabhu danced, and He regularly appeared at the house of Raghava
- Similarly, people who went to Jagannatha Puri from various provinces of India were fully satisfied after seeing the lotus feet of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu
- Sivananda and Jagadananda knew of Nrsimhananda Brahmacari's influence and love of Godhead. Therefore they now felt assured that he would certainly bring Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu
- Sivananda said to Nrsimhananda, "Why are you expressing dismay?" Nrsimhananda replied, "Just see the behavior of your Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu"
- Sivananda Sena thereupon developed full confidence in his mind that Nakula Brahmacari was filled with the presence of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu. Sivananda Sena then offered him respect and devotional service
- So strongly do the senses adhere to the objects of their enjoyment that indeed a wooden statue of a woman attracts the mind of even a great saintly person
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu accepted her as having formerly been an associate of Srimati Radharani. In the entire world, three and a half people were His intimate devotees
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu also left that place to perform His noon duties. No one could understand His pastimes
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu always appeared in four places - in the household temple of mother Saci, in the places where Sri Nityananda Prabhu danced, in the house of Srivasa Pandita during congregational chanting
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu appeared before Nrsimhananda Brahmacari and ate his offerings. Please hear about this with attention
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu derives no happiness from meeting one who is not a pure devotee of Krsna. Thus because Gopala Bhattacarya was a Mayavadi scholar, the Lord felt no jubilation in meeting him
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu is the ocean of mercy. Who can understand Him? When He chastises His dear devotees, He certainly does so to reestablish the principles of religion or duty
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu is the Supreme Personality of Godhead Himself. Therefore there is no difference between Him, Lord Jagannatha and Lord Nrsimhadeva
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu said, "My mind is not under My control. It does not like to see anyone in the renounced order who talks intimately with women"
- Suddenly Nrsimhananda arrived, and Jagadananda and Sivananda arranged for him to sit near them. Seeing them both so unhappy, Nrsimhananda inquired, "Why do I see that you are both despondent?"
- Svarupa Damodara Gosani said, "Please hear us, Haridasa, for we all wish you well. Please believe this"
- Svarupa Damodara replied, "Nevertheless, when we hear the Mayavada philosophy, we hear that Brahman is knowledge and that the universe of maya is false, but we gain no spiritual understanding"
- The Lord asked, "Where did you get such fine rice?"
- The Lord inquired, "What is your order? For what purpose have you come here?" Paramananda Puri then submitted his prayer that the Lord show favor to Junior Haridasa
- The Lord is persisting, and if you also persist, His persistence will increase. It is better for you to bathe and take prasadam. In due course, His anger will automatically subside
- The Lord replied, "I cannot tolerate seeing the face of a person who has accepted the renounced order of life but who still talks intimately with a woman"
- The Lord said, "Last year in the month of Pausa, when Nrsimhananda gave Me varieties of sweetmeats and vegetables to eat, they were so good that I felt I had never before eaten such preparations"
- The Mayavada philosophy presents such a jugglery of words that even a highly elevated devotee who has accepted Krsna as his life and soul changes his decision when he reads the Mayavada commentary on the Vedanta-sutra
- The Mayavadi philosopher tries to establish that the living entity is only imaginary and that the Supreme Personality of Godhead is under the influence of maya. Hearing this kind of commentary breaks the heart and life of a devotee
- The next day, all the devotees together approached the lotus feet of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu to submit an appeal on behalf of Junior Haridasa
- The next day, all the devotees went to Sri Paramananda Puri and requested him to pacify the Lord
- The next year, Sivananda went to Jagannatha Puri with all the other devotees to see the lotus feet of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu
- The pastimes of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu are like nectar, and they are deep like the ocean. People in general cannot understand them, but a sober devotee can
- The three were Svarupa Damodara Gosvami, Ramananda Raya and Sikhi Mahiti, and the half a person was Sikhi Mahiti's sister
- Then all the devotees, headed by Svarupa Damodara Gosvami, concluded that because Haridasa had committed suicide at the confluence of the rivers Ganges and Yamuna, he must have ultimately attained shelter at the lotus feet of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu
- Then Sivananda Sena again brought the ingredients with which to cook, and Pradyumna Brahmacari again cooked and offered the food to Nrsimhadeva
- Then Sivananda Sena told him, "Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu promised that He would come. Why, then, has He not arrived
- Then Srivasa Thakura related the details of Haridasa’s decision and his entering the waters at the confluence of the Ganges and Yamuna
- There was a large crowd of people, some coming and some going. Indeed, some people in that great crowd could not even see Nakula Brahmacari
- They said, "Haridasa has committed a small offense. Therefore, O Lord, please be merciful to him. Now he has received a sufficient lesson. In the future he will not commit such an offense"
- They said, "We cannot see his material form but still we hear his sweet singing. Therefore he must have become a ghost." Svarupa Damodara, however, protested, This is a false guess
- This incident manifests the mercy of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, His teaching that a sannyasi should remain in the renounced order, and the deep attachment to Him felt by His faithful devotees
- This year I shall personally go to Bengal and meet all the devotees there, headed by Advaita Acarya
- Thus at the end of one night, Junior Haridasa, after offering Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu his respectful obeisances, departed for Prayaga without saying anything to anyone
- Thus Bhagavan Acarya, greatly ashamed and fearful, remained silent. The next day, he asked Gopala Bhattacarya to return to his own district
- Thus by direct meetings, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu delivered the three worlds. Some people, however, were entangled in material activities and could not go
- Thus I have described the appearance of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu. Anyone who hears about these incidents can understand the transcendental opulence of the Lord
- Thus people began running here and there, calling in all directions, "Sivananda! Whoever is Sivananda, please come. Nakula Brahmacari is calling you"
- To deliver people in regions throughout the universe who could not meet Him, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu personally entered the bodies of pure devotees
- Tomorrow at noon He will come to your home. Therefore please bring all kinds of cooking ingredients. I shall personally cook and offer Him food
- What great offense has Junior Haridasa committed? Why has he been forbidden to come to Your door? He has now been fasting for three days
- When a Vaisnava listens to the Sariraka-bhasya, the Mayavada commentary upon the Vedanta-sutra, he gives up the Krsna conscious attitude that the Lord is the master and the living entity is His servant
- When he was about to return to Bengal, the Lord told him, "Forbid the devotees of Bengal to come to Jagannatha Puri this year"
- When Junior Haridasa heard that he had been ordered not to approach Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, he was very unhappy. No one could understand why he had been ordered not to come
- When Sivananda Sena heard that Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu had entered the body of Nakula Brahmacari, he went there with doubts in his mind
- When Sivananda Sena heard this statement, he was unsure whether Nrsimhananda Brahmacari was speaking that way because of ecstatic love or because it was actually a fact
- When Sivananda Sena was thus perplexed, Nrsimhananda Brahmacari said to him, "Bring more food. Let me cook again for Lord Nrsimhadeva"
- When Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu asked who had begged the rice and brought it back, Bhagavan Acarya mentioned the name of Junior Haridasa
- When Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu heard these details, He smiled in a pleased mood and said, "If with sensual intentions one looks at women, this is the only process of atonement"
- When Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu was personally present, anyone in the world who met Him even once was fully satisfied and became spiritually advanced
- When Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu went to see Lord Jagannatha in the temple, Haridasa would stay a long distance away and see Him
- When Srikanta Sena returned to Bengal and delivered this message, the minds of all the devotees were very pleased
- When Srivasa Thakura inquired from Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, "Where is Junior Haridasa?" the Lord replied, "A person is sure to achieve the results of his fruitive activities"
- While hearing the devotees lament, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu was mildly smiling. Thus all the devotees were very much astonished
- You are chanting the Gaura-gopala mantra, composed of four syllables. Now please give up the doubts that have resided within you
- You have lost your intelligence in the association of Gopala, and therefore you are eager to hear the Mayavada philosophy
- You should all tend to your respective engagements. Give up this useless talk. If you speak this way again, I shall go away, and you will no longer see Me here