Category:Sri Caitanya-caritamrta, Adi-lila Chapter 01 - The Spiritual Masters
Pages in category "Sri Caitanya-caritamrta, Adi-lila Chapter 01 - The Spiritual Masters"
The following 117 pages are in this category, out of 117 total.
- All glories to Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu! All glories to Nityananda Prabhu! All glories to Advaita Acarya! And all glories to all the devotees of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu
- I offer my respectful obeisances unto Sri Krsna Caitanya and Lord Nityananda, who are like the sun and moon. They have arisen simultaneously on the horizon of Gauda to dissipate the darkness of ignorance and thus wonderfully bestow benediction upon all
- In a temple of jewels in Vrndavana, underneath a desire tree, Sri Sri Radha-Govinda, served by Their most confidential associates, sit upon an effulgent throne. I offer my humble obeisances unto Them
- Sri Srila Gopinatha, who originated the transcendental mellow of the rasa dance, stands on the shore at Vamsivata and attracts the attention of the cowherd damsels with the sound of His celebrated flute. May they all confer upon us their benediction
- A pure devotee constantly engaged in the loving service of the Lord is identical with the Lord, who is always seated in his heart
- According to the deliberate opinion of all revealed scriptures, the spiritual master is nondifferent from Krsna. Lord Krsna in the form of the spiritual master delivers His devotees
- Advaita Acarya is the Lord's partial incarnation, and therefore I offer my obeisances millions of times at His lotus feet
- All kinds of activities, both auspicious and inauspicious, that are detrimental to the discharge of transcendental loving service to Lord Sri Krsna are actions of the darkness of ignorance
- Although I know that my spiritual master is a servitor of Sri Caitanya, I know Him also as a plenary manifestation of the Lord
- Although Radha and Krsna are one in Their identity, They separated Themselves eternally. Now these two transcendental identities have again united, in the form of Sri Krsna Caitanya
- As the sun and moon drive away darkness by their appearance and reveal the nature of everything, these two brothers dissipate the darkness of ignorance covering the living beings and enlighten them with knowledge of the Absolute Truth
- Bilvamangala Thakura said, "All glories to Cintamani and my initiating spiritual master, Somagiri. All glories to my instructing spiritual master, the Supreme Personality of Godhead (Krsna), who wears peacock feathers in His crown"
- Bilvamangala Thakura said, "Under the shade of His (Krsna's) lotus feet, which are like desire trees, Jayasri (Radharani) enjoys the transcendental mellow of an eternal consort"
- Brahma, Visnu and Siva are qualitative incarnations. Empowered incarnations are those like the Kumaras, King Prthu and Maha-muni Vyasa (the compiler of the Vedas)
- By the grace of Lord Caitanya and Lord Nityananda, this darkness of ignorance is removed and the truth is brought to light
- Having offered obeisances unto the Lord and all His associates, I shall now try to explain these six diversities in one
- He is called Advaita because He is nondifferent from Hari, and because He propagates the cult of devotion, He is called Acarya. He is the Lord and the incarnation of the Lord's devotee. Therefore I take shelter of Him
- I bow down to Him, who has manifested Himself with the sentiment and complexion of Srimati Radharani although He is Krsna Himself
- I first offer my respectful obeisances at the lotus feet of my initiating spiritual master and all my instructing spiritual masters
- I have invoked the benediction of the Lords with these two verses (texts 1 and 2 of this chapter). Now please hear attentively the purport of the third verse
- I offer my full obeisances unto the feet of Sri Nityananda Rama, a partial part of whom is Garbhodakasayi Visnu
- I offer my full obeisances unto the feet of Sri Nityananda Rama, whose partial representation called Karanodakasayi Visnu, lying on the Karana Ocean, is the original purusa, the master of the illusory energy, and the shelter of all the universes
- I offer my obeisances unto all my Vaisnava readers as I begin to explain the intricacies of all these verses
- I offer my obeisances unto the Supreme Lord, Krsna, who is nondifferent from His features as a devotee, devotional incarnation, devotional manifestation, pure devotee and devotional energy
- I offer my respectful obeisances unto the feet of Sri Nityananda Rama, whose secondary part is the Visnu lying in the ocean of milk
- I offer my respectful obeisances unto the internal potencies of the Lord, of whom Sri Gadadhara Prabhu is the foremost
- I offer my respectful obeisances unto the spiritual masters, the devotees of the Lord, the Lord's incarnations, His plenary portions, His energies and the primeval Lord Himself, Sri Krsna Caitanya
- I purposely avoid extensive description for fear of increasing the bulk of this book. I shall describe the essence as concisely as possible
- I request all my Vaisnava readers to read and hear with rapt attention this narration of Sri Krsna Caitanya as inculcated in the revealed scriptures
- I surrender unto the lotus feet of Sri Nityananda Rama, who is known as Sankarsana in the midst of the catur-vyuha. He possesses full opulences and resides in Vaikunthaloka, far beyond the material creation
- I therefore worship the lotus feet of these six diversities of the one truth by invoking their benedictions
- If numerous forms, all equal in their features, are displayed simultaneously, such forms are called prakasa-vigrahas of the Lord
- If one patiently hears about the glories of Caitanya Mahaprabhu, Nityananda Prabhu & Advaita Prabhu - devotional activities, names & fame, along with the mellows of Their transcendental loving exchanges - one will learn the essence of the Absolute Truth
- If one patiently hears about the glories of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, Sri Nityananda Prabhu and Sri Advaita Prabhu - and Their devotees - one will learn the essence of the Absolute Truth
- In that verse I have also explained the external reason for Lord Caitanya's incarnation. But in the fifth and sixth verses I have explained the prime reason for His advent
- In the beginning of this narration, simply by remembering the spiritual master, the devotees of the Lord, and the Personality of Godhead, I have invoked their benedictions
- In the first verse I have invoked a general benediction, but in the second I have prayed to the Lord in a particular form
- In the fourth verse I have invoked the benediction of the Lord upon all the world, praying to Lord Caitanya for His mercy upon all
- In the third verse I indicate the Absolute Truth, who is the ultimate substance. With such a description, one can visualize the Supreme Truth
- In these six verses I have described the truth about Lord Caitanya, whereas in the next five I have described the glory of Lord Nityananda
- It is astounding that Lord Sri Krsna, who is one without a second, expanded Himself in sixteen thousand similar forms to marry sixteen thousand queens in their respective homes
- It propounds the highest principle of eternal religion, which can factually mitigate the threefold miseries of a living being and award the highest benediction of full prosperity and knowledge
- Kapiladeva replies, "If one hears from devotees, the way of transcendental experience quickly opens, and gradually one attains firm faith that in due course develops into attraction and devotion"
- Kapiladeva replies, "The spiritually powerful message of Godhead can be properly discussed only in a society of devotees, and it is greatly pleasing to hear in that association"
- Krsna said, "One should therefore avoid bad company and associate only with devotees. With their realized instructions, such saints can cut the knot connecting one with activities unfavorable to devotional service"
- Krsna says, "A person interested in transcendental knowledge must therefore always directly and indirectly inquire about it to know the all-pervading truth"
- Krsna says, "As the material elements enter the bodies of all living beings and yet remain outside them all, I exist within all material creations and yet am not within them"
- Krsna says, "By My causeless mercy, be enlightened in truth about My personality, manifestations, qualities and pastimes"
- Krsna says, "One should know the acarya as Myself and never disrespect him in any way. One should not envy him, thinking him an ordinary man, for he is the representative of all the demigods"
- Krsna says, "Please hear attentively what I shall speak to you, for transcendental knowledge about Me is not only scientific but also full of mysteries"
- Krsna says, "Prior to the cosmic creation, only I exist, and no phenomena exist, either gross, subtle or primordial. After creation, only I exist in everything, and after annihilation, only I remain eternally"
- Krsna says, "What appears to be truth without Me is certainly My illusory energy, for nothing can exist without Me. It is like a reflection of a real light in the shadows, for in the light there are neither shadows nor reflections"
- Ksirodakasayi Visnu is the Supersoul of all living entities and the maintainer of all the universes. Sesa Naga is His further subpart
- Let us therefore worship the holy feet of these two Lords. Thus one can be rid of all difficulties on the path of self-realization
- Lord Advaita Acarya is the incarnation of Maha-Visnu, whose main function is to create the cosmic world through the actions of maya
- Lord Caitanya is the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Krsna Himself, full with six opulences. He is the Absolute Truth, and no other truth is greater than or equal to Him
- Lord Govinda says, "To those who are constantly devoted to serving Me with love, I give the understanding by which they can come to Me"
- Lord Krsna enjoys by manifesting Himself as the spiritual masters, the devotees, the diverse energies, the incarnations and the plenary portions. They are all six in one
- Lord Sri Krsna Caitanya Mahaprabhu is the Personality of Godhead Himself, and therefore I offer innumerable prostrations at His lotus feet
- Lord Visnu said, "Saints are My heart, and only I am their hearts. They do not know anyone but Me, and therefore I do not recognize anyone besides them as Mine"
- May Sri Nityananda Rama be the object of my constant remembrance. Sankarsana, Sesa Naga and the Visnus who lie on the Karana Ocean, Garbha Ocean and ocean of milk are His plenary portions and the portions of His plenary portions
- May the Supreme Lord who is known as the son of Srimati Saci-devi be transcendentally situated in the innermost chambers of your heart
- My instructing spiritual masters are Sri Rupa Gosvami, Sri Sanatana Gosvami, Sri Bhatta Raghunatha, Sri Jiva Gosvami, Sri Gopala Bhatta Gosvami and Srila Raghunatha dasa Gosvami
- One of the bhagavatas is the great scripture Srimad-Bhagavatam, and the other is the pure devotee absorbed in the mellows of loving devotion
- One should know the instructing spiritual master to be the Personality of Krsna. Lord Krsna manifests Himself as the Supersoul and as the greatest devotee of the Lord
- Saints of your caliber are themselves places of pilgrimage. Because of their purity, they are constant companions of the Lord, and therefore they can purify even the places of pilgrimage
- Simply hearing submissively will free one's heart from all the faults of ignorance, and thus one will achieve deep love for Krsna. This is the path of peace
- Since one cannot visually experience the presence of the Supersoul, He appears before us as a liberated devotee. Such a spiritual master is none other than Krsna Himself
- Sri Krsna and Balarama, the PG, who formerly appeared in Vrndavana and were millions of times more effulgent than the sun and moon, have arisen over the eastern horizon of Gaudadesa (West Bengal), being compassionate for the fallen state of the world
- Srila Nityananda Rama is the plenary manifestation of the Lord, and I have been initiated by Him. I therefore offer my respectful obeisances unto His lotus feet
- Stated in Srimad-Bhagavatam: "When Lord Krsna, surrounded by groups of cowherd girls, began the festivities of the rasa dance, the Lord of all mystic powers placed Himself between each two girls"
- Stated in Srimad-Bhagavatam: "When the cowherd girls and Krsna thus joined together, each girl thought that Krsna was dearly embracing her alone"
- Such pure devotees are of two types: personal associates (parisats) and neophyte devotees (sadhakas)
- Such remembrance destroys all difficulties and very easily enables one to fulfill his own desires
- The Absolute Truth is Sri Krsna, and loving devotion to Sri Krsna exhibited in pure love is achieved through congregational chanting of the holy name, which is the essence of all bliss
- The appearance of Sri Krsna Caitanya and Prabhu Nityananda has surcharged the world with happiness
- The darkness of ignorance is called kaitava, the way of cheating, which begins with religiosity, economic development, sense gratification and liberation
- The energies (consorts) of the Supreme Lord are of three kinds: the Laksmis in Vaikuntha, the queens in Dvaraka and the gopis in Vrndavana
- The first two verses offer respectful obeisances, generally and specifically, to the Lord, who is the object of worship
- The first wonder is that both brothers appear simultaneously, and the other is that They illuminate the innermost depths of the heart
- The foremost process of cheating is to desire to achieve liberation by merging into the Supreme, for this causes the permanent disappearance of loving service to Krsna
- The gopis are the best of all, for they have the privilege of serving Sri Krsna, the primeval Lord, the son of the King of Vraja
- The great scripture Srimad-Bhagavatam, compiled by Maha-muni Vyasadeva from four original verses, describes the most elevated and kindhearted devotees and completely rejects the cheating ways of materially motivated religiosity
- The happiness She feels when She realizes the sweetness of His love, the Supreme Lord Hari, richly endowed with Her emotions, appeared from the womb of Srimati Saci-devi, as the moon appeared from the ocean
- The invocation involves three processes: defining the objective, offering benedictions and offering obeisances
- The loving affairs of Sri Radha and Krsna are transcendental manifestations of the Lord's internal pleasure-giving potency
- The next two verses describe the truth of Advaita Prabhu, and the following verse describes the Panca-tattva (the Lord, His plenary portion, His incarnation, His energies and His devotees)
- The personal associates of the primeval Lord, Sri Krsna, are His devotees, who are identical with Him. He is complete with His entourage of devotees
- The Personality of Godhead exhibits Himself in two kinds of forms: prakasa and vilasa
- The prefix 'pra' (in the verse from Srimad-Bhagavatam) indicates that the desire for liberation is completely rejected
- The sun and moon dissipate the darkness of the external world and thus reveal external material objects like pots and plates
- The Supreme Personality of Godhead (svayam bhagavan) taught Brahma and made him self-realized
- There are innumerable devotees of the Lord, of whom Srivasa Thakura is the foremost. I offer my respectful obeisances thousands of times unto their lotus feet
- There are three categories of incarnations of Godhead: partial incarnations, qualitative incarnations and empowered incarnations. The purusas and Matsya are examples of partial incarnations
- Therefore I have described these (in the Caitanya-caritamrta) with logic and discrimination
- These fourteen verses, therefore, offer auspicious invocations and describe the Supreme Truth
- These six are my instructing spiritual masters, and therefore I offer millions of respectful obeisances unto their lotus feet
- These three Deities of Vrndavana (Madana-mohana, Govinda and Gopinatha) have absorbed the heart and soul of the Gaudiya Vaisnavas (followers of Lord Caitanya). I worship Their lotus feet, for They are the Lords of my heart
- These two brothers (Lord Caitanya and Lord Nityananda) dissipate the darkness of the inner core of the heart, and thus They help one meet the two kinds of bhagavatas (persons or things in relationship with the Personality of Godhead)
- These two, the sun and moon, are very kind to the people of the world. Thus for the good fortune of all, They have appeared on the horizon of Bengal
- Those willing to hear the message of this scripture in a submissive attitude of service can at once capture the Supreme Lord in their hearts. Therefore there is no need for any scripture other than Srimad-Bhagavatam
- Through the actions of these two bhagavatas the Lord instills the mellows of transcendental loving service into the heart of a living being, and thus the Lord, in the heart of His devotee, comes under the control of the devotee's love
- To behold this wonderful pastime of the Lord's, the denizens of heaven and their wives, all very eager to see the dance, flew in the sky in their hundreds of airplanes. They showered flowers and beat sweetly on drums
- What the Upanisads describe as the impersonal Brahman is but the effulgence of His body, and the Lord known as the Supersoul is but His localized plenary portion
- When the Lord displays numerous forms with different features by His inconceivable potency, such forms are called vilasa-vigrahas
- When the numerous forms are slightly different from one another, they are called vilasa-vigrahas
- When the SPG expands Himself in many forms, all nondifferent in Their features, as Lord Krsna did when He married sixteen thousand queens and when He performed His rasa dance, such forms of the Lord are called manifested forms (prakasa-vigrahas)