Collaborate with us to invoke and fully manifest Srila Prabhupada's Vani-presence.
restraint | restraints | restrains | restraining | restrainer | restrained | restrain | unrestrained
This category has the following 2 subcategories, out of 2 total.
Pages in category "Restrain"
The following 66 pages are in this category, out of 66 total.
- A diseased person cannot enjoy anything; he has to restrain his enjoyment in order to get rid of the disease
- After taking shelter in the holy name of the Lord and becoming immune, one should strictly restrain oneself from committing sinful acts with a hope that his method of chanting the holy name will give him protection
- After the departure of all the others, Maharaja Yudhisthira restrained the inner circle of his friends, including Lord Krsna, not allowing them to leave
- An unchaste woman is very easily carried away by paramours, and it sometimes happens that her husband is violently killed by her paramours. If the yogi gives his mind a chance and does not restrain it...
- As for saintly persons, who must travel to preach transcendental knowledge, they also are restrained by the rainy season. But during the autumn, all of them leave their confines
- Even if you don't do anything, if you simply restrain your sex life, you become a very powerful man. People do not know the secret. So anything you do, if you want to do it with determination, you have to stop sex life. That is the secret
- Even though Krsna's queens in Dvaraka tried to restrain their feelings, they inadvertently shed tears upon seeing their Lord
- I am getting gradually older, therefore even if I remain in your country, I shall restrain my moving and my main business will be henceforward to train you all my disciples for preaching work. I think you will approve of my program
- I say that you cannot take meat, you cannot smoke. So all my students, they were accustomed to this habit, but by my order they have restrained
- If one can restrain the demands of the tongue by limiting its activities to the eating of prasada, the urges of the belly and the genitals can automatically be controlled
- If the yogi gives his mind a chance and does not restrain it, his mind will give facility to enemies like lust, anger and greed, and they will doubtlessly kill the yogi
- In Kali-yuga, a drunk, half-naked woman embracing a drunk man is a very common sight, especially in the Western countries, and restraining oneself after seeing such things is very difficult
- In order to spiritually advance or to achieve the mercy of the Lord, one must be self-controlled in the following manner: he must be restrained in sense gratification and must follow the rules and regulations of religious principles
- In the absence of voluntary restraint, there is propaganda for family planning
- In the present age no one can observe the strict rules and regulations of placing oneself in a sacred place, focusing the mind on the Supersoul, restraining the senses and mind, observing celibacy, remaining alone, etc
- In the stage of perfection called samadhi, one's mind is completely restrained from material mental activities by practice of yoga. This perfection is characterized by one's ability to see the Self by the pure mind and to relish and rejoice in the Self
- In the stage of perfection called trance, or samadhi, one's mind is completely restrained from material mental activities by practice of yoga
- Indra, the King of heaven, being too proud of his heavenly opulences, became like a madman. Thus bereft of his intelligence, he could not restrain himself from speaking nonsensically about Krsna
- It is pleasing to see that the veteran leader Mahatma Gandhi is trying his best to invent a method for bringing in a godly atmosphere all over the world. He is preaching restraint, toleration, moral principles, and so on
- It is said: "When Krsna first came from His Kingdom, Dvaraka, to Indraprastha,* the young females of the city became so eager to see Him that even at night, when they were lying down with their husbands, they could not restrain their eagerness"
- Jagannatha Misra was an ideal Vaisnava. He was peaceful, restrained in sense gratification, pure and controlled. Therefore he had no desire to enjoy material opulence
- Just as a government may issue trade licenses in order for its citizens to act in a certain way, the Vedas contain injunctions that restrain and regulate all of our fruitive activities
- One should not accept the sannyasa order whimsically; he must be fully confident that he can restrain his desires for sense gratification
- One should not waste semen on sensual pleasure, violating the principles of Vedic life. Restraint in sex is possible, however, only when the populace is trained in the above-mentioned thirty qualities; otherwise, it is not possible
- One who restrains the senses of action but whose mind dwells on sense objects certainly deludes himself and is called a pretender
- Otherwise, he may adopt many artificial means to satisfy the demands of the genitals, and he may not use any restraint
- Our students are strictly observing the four rules or restraints from impure habits and they are factually living according to the highest standard of religious life
- The Bhagavad-gita advises that in the interest of the mundane workers, they should not be restrained from their ordinary engagements; on the contrary, they may be encouraged to stay engaged in that way, within the process of karma-yoga
- The brahmanas are the highest social order, and they imbibe the modes of goodness and are engaged in the activities of equality, restraint, and forgiveness
- The difference between a married wife and a public prostitute is that one is restrained in sex life by the rules and regulations of the scriptures, whereas the other is unrestricted in sex life and is conducted solely by the strong sex urge
- The faculty to discharge semen is the cause of death. Therefore, yogis and transcendentalists who want to live for greater spans of life voluntarily restrain themselves from discharging semen
- The family planning of a godless civilization cannot check weedlike unwanted population. People should learn to check sex life by voluntary restraint
- The forceful restraint of sense activities by the eight principles of yoga is recommended for inferior men; superior men, being engaged in the superior activities of Krsna consciousness, naturally retire from the inferior activities of material existence
- The gosvamis restrain all their senses, and they stick to the path made by the previous acaryas
- The Lord said, "My dear Murari, please restrain your unnecessary humility. My mind is disturbed to see your meekness"
- The more one can restrain the discharge of semen, the more one can be aloof from the problem of death
- The muni's sense organs, breath, mind and intelligence were all restrained from material activities, and he was situated in a trance apart from the three (wakefulness, dream and unconsciousness), having achieved a transcendental position
- There is no prohibition against meeting the proper needs of the senses, but unnecessary sense enjoyment is detrimental for spiritual advancement. Therefore the senses should be restrained from unnecessary use
- They (Krsna's son) were very silent and steady, and they used to restrain coughing and laughing before the Lord
- This life is meant for restraining. Restraining. Tapa. We have to restrain our business of sense gratification. Without restraining our business of sense gratification, it is not possible to make ourselves liberated
- This perfection (where one's mind is completely restrained from material mental activities by practice of yoga) is characterized by one's ability to see the Self by the pure mind and to relish and rejoice in the Self
- Though they (the queens of Dvaraka) tried to restrain their feelings, they inadvertently shed tears
- Vedic civilization carefully restricts mingling between men and women. If one cannot understand the basic principle of restraining association between man and woman, he is to be considered an animal
- Vidura gave protection to the Pandavas on one hand, and on the other he tried to restrain his brother Dhrtarastra from such intriguing policies. Therefore, he was always partial to the Pandavas, just as a bird protects its eggs by its wing
- Voluntary restraint is tapasya, austerity, and this is possible with advancement of Krishna Consciousness. Artificial separation is foolishness. We recommend voluntary restraint, not artificial separation
- When Bali Maharaja saw the expert military activities of Indra, he could not restrain his anger. Thus he took up another weapon, known as sakti, which blazed like a great firebrand. But Indra cut that weapon to pieces while it was still in Bali's hand
- When one is in complete knowledge, one ceases all material sense gratification, or renounces all kinds of sense gratificatory activities. This is practiced by the yogis who restrain the senses from material attachment
- When present before Krsna, they (Krsna's sons) bowed down on the ground. They were very silent and steady, and they used to restrain coughing and laughing before the Lord
- Whereas others are forced to restrain themselves from sense gratification, a devotee of the Lord automatically refrains because of superior taste
- While all the devotees were searching for the Lord, Svarupa Damodara restrained them. Then everyone fell silent, knowing the mind of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu
- Yogis and transcendentalists who want to live for greater spans of life voluntarily restrain themselves from discharging semen
- You haven't got to restrain yourself completely, but if you dovetail yourself, nirbandhah, when it is in relation with Krsna, then your vairagya, your detachment, is approved
- Yudhisthira could understand the feelings of Duryodhana & he tried to restrain the queens, but Krsna indicated that Yudhisthira should not restrain them from enjoying the incident. Krsna desired that Duryodhana be fooled in that way