Collaborate with us to invoke and fully manifest Srila Prabhupada's Vani-presence.
This category has the following 2 subcategories, out of 2 total.
Pages in category "Instead"
The following 118 pages are in this category, out of 118 total.
- A first-class brahmana does not accept any rewards from his disciples or yajamanas. Practicing austerities and penances, he instead goes to the agricultural field and collects food grains left by the agriculturalists to be collected by brahmanas
- A human being who does not use his developed consciousness but instead acts like an animal surely undergoes punishment in many different hells
- A liberated person does not think about whatever he has ignorantly done in the past; instead, he acts in such a way that he will not produce another body by fruitive activities
- After accepting the sannyasa order, I decided to go to Vrndavana, but You took Me instead to the house of Advaita Prabhu
- After some days, Raghunatha dasa gave up standing near the Simha-dvara gate and instead began eating by begging alms from a booth for free distribution of food
- All of them (Dhrtarastra, Bhisma, Vidura and Arjuna) knew that Laksmana was not at all inclined to select him (Samba) as her husband and that she was not given the chance to select her own husband; instead she was forcibly taken away by this boy
- Although Krsna was acting so wonderfully, Maharaja Nanda and mother Yasoda could not think of Him as the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Instead, they always accepted Him as their beloved child
- Although Prsadhra had committed the sin unknowingly, his family priest, Vasistha, cursed him, saying, "In your next life you shall not be able to become a ksatriya. Instead, you shall take birth as a sudra because of killing the cow"
- An asura is not a devotee of Lord Visnu; instead, for his sense gratification he is a devotee of the demigods, bhutas, pretas and so on. Thus one can judge who is a devata, who is a Raksasa and who is an asura by how they conduct their activities
- Anyone who, disregarding the pure Ganges, wishes to be purified instead by the filthy water flowing in a drain, cannot be successful. Similarly, one can successfully attain pure knowledge of the Absolute only by hearing from the pure Absolute Himself
- Because Pradyumna Misra saw that it was late, he did not say anything else to Ramananda Raya. Instead, he took leave of him and returned to his own home
- Bhrgu Muni tested the tolerance of the Lord by purposely kicking His chest, but instead of being angry at Bhrgu Muni the Lord begged his pardon, saying that Bhrgu Muni's leg might have been badly hurt because His chest is too hard
- Brahma-yamala states, "Instead, he (so-called great devotee) will simply create disturbances for the sincere students of devotional service"
- Dhrtarastra did not act in accordance with the good instructions given by Bhisma and Vidura; instead, he was being conducted by the ill instructions of such persons as Karna and Sakuni
- Dhrtarastra must have been very glad to understand that Arjuna was not going to fight and was instead leaving the battlefield for the begging profession. But Sanjaya disappointed him again in relating that Arjuna was competent to kill his enemies
- For flickering happiness, people waste their human energy, not understanding the importance of the Krsna consciousness movement but instead accusing the simple devotees of brainwashing
- Foreseeing the degraded condition of Kali-yuga, Lord Krsna hardly discusses varnasrama religion in the Bhagavad-gita and instead stresses the performance of work as sacrifice
- From that day on, he did not go into the interior section of the house. Instead, he would sleep on the Durga-mandapa (the place where mother Durga was worshiped)
- Gopinatha Pattanayaka was lifted onto the canga to be killed, and all his money was taken away, but instead his debts were excused, and he was appointed collector in the same place
- Great personalities of power and opulence never become proud, and the example is given that a tree which is full of fruits and flowers does not stand erect in pride but instead bends downwards to show submissiveness
- Haridasa Thakura also spoke with a young woman, a prostitute, in the dead of night, but the woman could not deviate his mind. Instead, she became a Vaisnavi, a pure devotee, by the benediction of Haridasa Thakura
- He (Kaliya) then ceased offering any sacrifice; instead, he himself ate the offering intended for Garuda
- He (Lord Caitanya) was in full ecstasy over the idea of going to Vrndavana. However, Srila Nityananda diverted His path and brought Him instead to the house of Advaita Prabhu in Santipura
- He (Mahesh Yogi) is not so fortunate as I am, that I have so many sincere disciples that I do not have to pay them any salary nor do they ever ask for any vacation. Instead they are working twice as hard to double the book distribution
- He (Satrajit) thought instead, because Krsna wanted that jewel, which had not been delivered to Him, Krsna might have therefore taken the jewel from Prasena by force, killed him. This idea grew into a rumor, which Satrajit spread in every part of Dvaraka
- He was going to commit suicide but came to Krishna instead. This may make an interesting topic for BTG
- Here is a boy who was about to commit suicide, but he came to Krishna instead and now he is perfecting his life. That is most encouraging news
- Hiranya dasa was collecting 2,000,000 coins and therefore should have delivered 1,500,000 to the government. Instead, he was giving only 1,200,000, thus making an extra profit of 300,000 coins
- However, because he has received the mercy of Your lotus feet, he does not even accept his father's money. Instead he eats by begging alms from centers for the distribution of food
- I got the opportunity to read your nice book "Hare Krishna and the Counterculture" with profound interest. I am also very much obliged to you as you have shown to me so much mercy, even by illustrating my photograph instead of your goodness
- I have received a letter from Gargamuni. It is very much depressing. I thought that your father and mother will receive him as beloved child, but instead they are ill treating, or at least not treating as beloved child. I am very much sorry for this
- I have requested that these type of matters be brought before the GBC instead of me. I am trying very hard to find time to write my books, so I want to be relieved from so many questions
- I wanted to agitate you, the Lord said, "but you did not become agitated. Indeed, you could not say anything in anger. Instead, you tolerated everything"
- I was lifted upon the canga to be killed, but instead I was honored with this silken cloth. This is all Your mercy
- I was searching after a piece of glass, but instead I have found a most valuable jewel. Therefore I am so satisfied that I do not wish to ask any benediction from You
- If one can give up his ambition to engage in hackneyed material life and take to Krsna consciousness instead, he will be liberated from the stringent laws of material nature
- If one does not ask, "Who am I? What is the goal of my life?" but instead follows the same animal propensities as cats and dogs, what is the use of his education?
- If one does not conduct research to find the supreme cause, but instead falsely engages in frivolous, temporary activities, what is the use of demanding recognition as an important scientist or philosopher?
- If one is so hungry that he could devour one pound of foodstuffs, then instead he should consume only half a pound and supplement this with four ounces of water; one fourth of the stomach should be left empty for passage of air in the stomach
- If simply dry teachings go on and there is no temple worship, then gradually he will glide down to vyabhicari instead of brahmacari
- If someone comes to Krsna asking for material benefits, Krsna does not award him the material things he desires. Instead, the Lord gives him intelligence so that he will forget his material desires and become attached to the Lord's lotus feet
- If Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu asks you about the path to Vrndavana, please show Him the path on the bank of the Ganges instead
- If the brahmanas do not worship the king but instead go to the demigods, they are as polluted as unchaste women
- If the Indians do not meet this responsibility and instead get enticed and bedazzled by the illusory energy as it is manifest in the West in such variegated forms, then they will become known as misers and end their lives in disgrace
- In a democracy no one is trained like a prince; instead, politicians are voted to responsible posts of administration by diplomatic arrangements
- In modern times, girls and ladies have ornaments made of plastic instead of gold, and plastic utensils are used instead of golden ones, yet people are very proud of their material wealth
- Instead of being eager to see the Lord in some bush of Vrndavana while at the same time engaging in sense gratification, if one instead sticks to the principle of following the words of the spiritual master, he will see the Supreme Lord without difficulty
- Instead, I shall never see the face of that blasphemer. I reject him and give up my relationship with him. I shall never even speak his name
- It is not advisable to equate the prakrta-sahajiyas with pure devotees. When one is actually advanced in ecstatic love of Krsna, he does not try to advertise himself. Instead, he endeavors more and more to render service to the Lord
- It is very regrettable that the leaders of the world do not know of the effects of these sinful activities. They are instead taking things very easily and are succeeding in making the ocean of nescience wider and wider
- Knowing that she was pregnant, the co-wives of the wife of Bahuka conspired to give her poison with her food, but it did not act. Instead, the son was born along with the poison. Therefore he became famous as Sagara ("one who is born with poison")
- Krsna replied, "My dear kings, your decision to give up all conceptions of material enjoyment and turn instead toward My devotional service is factually the symptom of your good fortune. Henceforward you will always be blessed with blissful life"
- Maharaj Dhruva says, "I had been searching out some pieces of broken glass, but instead I have found the most valuable jewel. I am therefore fully satisfied, my Lord. I do not wish to ask anything more from Your Lordship"
- Mayavadi philosophers who are serious about attaining benediction should engage in the devotional service of Krsna, but instead they take pleasure in useless argument only
- Members of the Krsna consciousness movement have no business begging. Instead, they work very hard to introduce some literatures about Krsna consciousness so that people can read them and be benefited
- Men are busy killing cows that are the source of yogurt, milk and ghee, they are cutting down all the trees that supply honey, and they are opening factories to manufacture nuts, bolts, automobiles and wine instead of engaging in agriculture
- Mother (Paurnamasi), just try to understand My (Radharani's) situation, and don't be unnecessarily angry with Me. Instead, please tell Me how I can save Myself from these terrible attacks of Krsna!
- One has to become thoroughly callous to such nonpermanent activities and turn his intention instead to the regulative principles of devotional service
- One should not be very interested in material enjoyment; instead, one should be satisfied with whatever material profits are easily obtainable, and because the duration of one's life is very short, one should utilize every moment for spiritual advancement
- One should not be very much interested in material enjoyment; instead, one should be satisfied with whatever material profits are easily obtainable, and because one's life is very short, one should utilize every moment for spiritual advancement
- One should not engage paid brahmanas to worship the Deity. If one does not personally worship the Deity but engages paid servants instead, he is considered lazy, and his worship of the Deity is called artificial
- Raghunatha dasa never even spoke a word before the Lord. Instead, he informed the Lord of his desires through Svarupa Damodara Gosvami and Govinda
- Regarding dancing, our dancing is ecstatic. We need not waste time 5 hours daily instead of chanting, for practicing. We are not professional dancers, neither we require it
- Satrajit, however, did not come to see Krsna; he was instead overwhelmed by the Syamantaka jewel. He installed the jewel in a temple to be worshiped by brahmanas he engaged for this purpose
- Since I am very intelligent, why should I give this fool material prosperity? Instead I shall induce him to take the nectar of the shelter of My lotus feet and make him forget illusory material enjoyment
- So far your daughter, there is already one devotee named Visakha, so instead your daughter may be named Vaisnavi Dasi
- Sometimes people neglect to accept a spiritual master, and instead they endeavor for self-realization by mystic yoga practice, but there are many instances of failure, even by great yogis like Visvamitra
- Sometimes we find that our Western students fail to chant even these sixteen rounds, and instead they bring many austere books and a worshiping method that diverts their attention in so many ways
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, His mind thus stolen by the scent of Krsna's body, ran here and there like a bumblebee. He ran to the trees and plants, hoping that Lord Krsna would appear, but instead He found only that scent
- Svarupa Damodara Gosvami advises that one should not hear Srimad-Bhagavatam from professional reciters. Instead, one must hear and learn the Bhagavatam from a self-realized Vaisnava
- The blasphemers said, "Although a sannyasi, He does not take interest in the study of Vedanta but instead always engages in chanting and dancing in sankirtana."
- The brahmana, therefore, did not exert himself for more material happiness; instead, he used his time for advancement of Krsna consciousness. Externally he appeared very poor because he had no rich clothes and could not provide rich clothes for his wife
- The conditioned soul should utilize his energy in the devotional service of the Lord so that he can be transferred to the other, eternal nature, where there is no birth, no death, no creation, no destruction, but permanent life instead
- The demonic do not accept Lord Krsna as He is. Instead they concoct something about Krsna and mislead general readers from the path of Krsna's instructions. Here is a warning about such misleading paths
- The duty of human life is to solve all the problems of life, but instead people remain attached to family affairs and duties. Although they forget death, death will not forget them
- The first thing he saw was a man lying down asleep within the cave. Kalayavana was eager to fight with Krsna, and when he could not see Krsna but instead saw only a man lying down, he thought that Krsna was sleeping within the cave
- The Lord abandoned walking on the well-known public road and went instead along a bypass. He thus kept the city of Kataka on His right as He entered the forest
- The Lord gives good counsel and advises the living entity to abandon trying to become happy through material adjustment and instead turn his face toward the Supreme Personality of Godhead and surrender unto Him
- The Lord, however, did not reply to their inquisitiveness, but instead immediately sent for the brahmana. An airplane sent from Vaikuntha immediately brought the brahmana into Lord Narayana's presence
- The mahatmas have shown the perfect path of charity: devotional service to the Lord. If anyone ignores this path and instead builds hospitals, his effort to help humanity is a mere pretense
- The more we talk of Krsna, think of Krsna and preach for Krsna, the more we become purified. This means we no longer have to accept a hallucinatory gross and subtle body, but instead attain our spiritual identity
- The people of Kali-yuga, endowed as they are with limited intelligence, have rejected the priceless diamond of devotional service to Krsna and instead chosen the cheap doll of fruitive activity and dry speculation
- The pure devotee never thinks that Visnu has accepted a body of maya; instead, he knows perfectly well that the original Absolute Truth is the Supreme Person
- The relationship between a pure devotee and the Supreme Personality of Godhead is extremely relishable. A devotee never claims to be very powerful himself; instead, he fully surrenders to the lotus feet of Krsna
- The revealed scriptures conclude that one should give up fruitive activity, speculative knowledge and the mystic yoga system and instead take to devotional service, by which Krsna can be fully satisfied
- The wife of King Citraketu said (after the death of their son): If the bonds of affection You (the Lord) have created are disturbed by fruitive action, no one will raise children with affection; instead, everyone will cruelly neglect his children
- They (the cowherd men and women) began to talk about how wonderful it was that the demon (Trnavarta) had taken away the child (Krsna) to devour Him but could not do so; instead he fell down dead
- They can grow food both for the animals and for human being. Instead, they are simply growing food for the animals and killing them
- This Gopinatha Pattanayaka, he said, 'is unwilling to pay the money due. Instead, he is squandering it under some pretext. If you issue an order, I can put him on the canga and thus realize the money'
- Those who are great souls or great devotees do not act under the spell of material energy, but act instead under the protection of the spiritual energy
- Those who are not unalloyed devotees & who depend instead on such methods of spiritual realization as karma, jnana & hatha-yogas must leave the body at a suitable time & thereby be assured whether or not they will return to the world of birth & death
- Throughout the world, ninety-nine percent of the philosophers following in the footsteps of Sankaracarya refuse to accept the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Instead they try to establish their own opinions. It is typical of mundane philosophers
- Unfortunately, being overly attached to sense gratification, materialists are not serious in helping this movement. Instead, some of them try to suppress it
- Unfortunately, even some so-called Vaisnavas enviously refuse to cooperate with this movement but instead condemn it in so many ways
- Upon seeing Narada, the naked young girls of the demigods were very much ashamed. Afraid of being cursed, they covered their bodies with their garments. But the two sons of Kuvera did not do so; instead, not caring about Narada, they remained naked
- Vasudeva wanted to perform a charitable ceremony to celebrate Krsna’s appearance, but because he was shackled within the walls of Kamsa’s prison, this was not possible. Instead, within his mind he gave thousands of cows to the brahmanas
- Vrtrasura encouraged Indra, saying, "Don't be morose because of my victory. There is no need to stop fighting. Instead, you should go on with your duty. When Krsna desires, you will certainly be victorious." This verse is very instructive
- When Ajamila chanted the holy name of Narayana, he did not precisely remember the Supreme Lord; instead, he remembered his own son
- When Banasura saw that his soldiers and commanders had been defeated, his anger only increased. He thought it wise to stop fighting with Satyaki, Krsna's commander in chief, and instead directly attack Lord Krsna
- When someone engages in Lord Krsna's devotional service for the satisfaction of the senses and instead acquires a taste for serving Krsna, he gives up his material desires and willingly offers himself as an eternal servant of Krsna
- When Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu ordered Rupa Gosvami to read the verse they had previously heard, Rupa Gosvami, because of great shyness, did not read it but instead remained silent
- When Tapana Misra offered Sanatana Gosvami a new cloth, he did not accept it. Instead, he spoke as follows
- When they all requested very fervently that Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu take a full meal, He still would not do so. Instead, He responded to their request by accepting half as much as usual
- Wherever there is a relationship of love of Godhead, its natural symptom is that the devotee does not think himself a devotee. Instead, he always thinks that he has not even a drop of love for Krsna
- Yes, it is all right that you devote your time to painting instead of street sankirtana. The main thing is that you be engaged in some worthwhile work for Krsna without wasting even a moment
- You are just like a thief, for instead of coming near, you stay away at a distant place. Now that I have captured you, I shall punish you