Collaborate with us to invoke and fully manifest Srila Prabhupada's Vani-presence.
elder | elderly | elders | elder's | eldest | eldestmost
This category has the following 2 subcategories, out of 2 total.
Pages in category "Elder"
The following 265 pages are in this category, out of 265 total.
- A devotee once told Krsna: "My dear Krsna, O killer of all demons, Maharaj Yudhisthira, the eldest son of Maharaj Pandu, has performed all kinds of sacrifices just to please You"
- A grhastha, the householder, is ordered that before eating, a householder was to see in the members of the family, first the children must be fed, then diseased person must be fed, then elderly, old person must be fed
- A small child, he knows that "I shall become like my elder brother. I shall get this body, next body." And these people, they cannot understand that there is next body. That means their civilization is less than a child's civilization
- A small child, when he begins to walk, he requires the help of his elder brother or sister or father or mother to catch, and one step, one step, one step, one step... But when he begins to walk independently, then he doesn't require any help
- According to Manu-samhita, a woman is never independent. She must remain the property of the father while she is not married, and she must remain the property of the husband until she is elderly and has grown-up children of her own
- After hearing this (reply from Nanda Maharaja), Krsna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, in the presence of His father and all the elder cowherd men of Vrndavana, spoke in such a way as to make the heavenly king, Indra, very angry
- After returning to Vidyanagara, each brahmana went to his respective home. After some time, the elderly brahmana became very anxious
- After the departure of Akrura, some of the elderly residents of the city also began to perceive inauspicious signs due to the absence of the Syamantaka jewel
- After the young brahmana submitted this statement, the elderly brahmana remained silent. Taking this opportunity, his son immediately came out with a stick to strike the younger man
- After these talks, the two brahmanas started for home. As usual, the young brahmana accompanied the elderly brahmana as if the older brahmana were a guru (spiritual master) and rendered him service in various ways
- After this incident, all the elder cowherd men assembled together, and Nanda Maharaja presided. They began to consult amongst themselves how to stop the great disturbances in Mahavana on account of the demons
- All of the relatives of King Bhismaka decided that Rukmini should be given in marriage to Krsna. But her elder brother Rukmi, despite the desire of the others, arranged for her marriage with Sisupala
- All of them (Dhrtarastra, Bhisma, Vidura and Arjuna), under the counsel of the elder members of the Kuru family, decided to arrest the boy (Samba) but not kill him
- All the people gathered there asked the elderly brahmana, "If you have already promised to give him your daughter in charity, why are you not fulfilling your promise? You have given your word of honor"
- All the people of the village then called for the elderly brahmana and brought him to their meeting place. The young brahmana then began to speak before them as follows
- All their (the gopis) guardians forbade them to go to Krsna, but they disregarded them. Being young girls, they were protected either by husbands, elder brothers or fathers
- Although Krsna was a boy, He implored his father and other elderly gentlemen present there that "There is no need of performing this sacrifice." So they stopped sacrifice. As a result of this, Indra became very much angry, and there was torrents of rain
- Although Lord Baladeva appeared before the birth of Lord Krsna and is therefore Krsna's worshipable elder brother, He used to act as Krsna's eternal servitor
- Although Putana was an evil spirit, she gained elevation just like the mother of the Supreme Personality of Godhead. It is clear that the cows and the elder gopis who offered milk to Krsna were also elevated to the transcendental position
- Although Santanu, being younger, was not eligible to occupy the throne, he disregarded his elder brother (Devapi). Consequently, there was no rainfall for twelve years
- Although the cows and elder gopis of Vrndavana had greater affection for Krsna than for their own offspring, after this incident their affection for their offspring increased unlimitedly, exactly as it did for Krsna
- Arjuna was fighting on behalf of his elder brother, Yudhisthira. Because Krsna and Arjuna were on the side of Yudhisthira, Yudhisthira's victory was certain
- As Lord Balarama proceeded toward Hastinapura in His chariot, accompanied by the brahmanas and elders, He looked like the moon shining in the clear sky amongst the glittering stars
- As the perfect exemplary householder, Lord Sri Krsna followed this tarpana (pleasing) system and offered respectful obeisances to the elderly, superior members of His family
- At that time, Krsna became very much afraid of Jarati and went to His elder brother Baladeva. He said, "My dear brother, I have stolen yogurt! Just see - Jarati is coming hurriedly to catch Me!"
- At the time of Aniruddha's marriage, when we were all playing chess, there was another fight with your brother Rukmi on a controversial verbal point, and My elder brother, Balarama, finally killed him
- Baladeva, or Balarama, is the elder brother of Krsna. He is an expansion of the Godhead Himself, and therefore to be considered and incarnation of God, as explained in Srimad-Bhagavatam
- Because He is the omniscient Personality of Godhead, Krsna knew that the cowherd men were preparing for the Indra sacrifice, but as a matter of etiquette He began to inquire with great honor and submission from elder personalities like Maharaja Nanda
- Because women are easily seduced, the Manu-samhita enjoins that they should not be given freedom. A woman must always be protected, either by her father, by her husband, or by her elderly son
- Becoming angry with Sanatana Gosvami, the Nawab said, "Your elder brother is acting just like a plunderer"
- Being afraid of His mother, Krsna replied, “My dear mother, all these boys, including My elder brother, Balarama, are speaking lies against Me
- By killing many living entities, your elder brother has destroyed all Bengal. Now here you are destroying all my plans
- By the order of Vyasadeva's mother, Satyavati, who was later married to Maharaja Santanu, and by the request of Bhismadeva, the eldest son of Maharaja Santanu by his first wife, the Ganges, he begot three brilliant sons; Dhrtarastra, Pandu and Vidura
- By the piety of the elderly brahmana, I shall call the Supreme Personality of Godhead as a witness. Thus I shall keep his truthful promise intact
- By this material civilization they will never be happy. And it is risky. That they do not know. They do not believe in the transmigration of the soul. So irresponsibly… Or just like these elderly person, how they are wasting time
- Damodara Pandita replied, "Sankara is my younger brother, but from today he becomes my elder brother because of Your special mercy upon him"
- Declaration of independence by the woman class, is not their happiness. They are unhappy. Better to become dependent upon father, upon husband and upon elderly children. That is their happiness
- Devala met Maharaja Yudhisthira after the Battle of Kuruksetra, and he was the elder brother of Dhaumya, the priest of the Pandava family
- Due to such heart-to-heart embracing, torrents of tears glided down their (all the Yadus and the residents) cheeks. The juniors were offering obeisances to the elders, and the elders were offering their blessings to the juniors
- During the fratricidal war of Kuruksetra, Vidura repeatedly implored his elder brother to do justice to the sons of Pandu, but Duryodhana did not like such interference by his uncle, and thus he practically insulted Vidura
- Duryodhana, the eldest son of Dhrtarastra, took the opportunity to come to Balarama and learn from Him the art of fighting with a club
- Duty of the elder brother
- Elderly parental devotees
- Elderly persons bade Him: "Krsna, don't You move now! Even persons who are stronger and older than You cannot move, and You are just a little boy. So please stay still!" This is an instance of emotion caused by heavy hailing
- Even Balarama, the elder brother of Krsna, sometimes unknowingly offered respect to Him
- Every day, the Muslim would chastise Raghunatha dasa and tell him, "Bring your father and his elder brother. Otherwise you will be punished"
- First (Krsna would distribute garlands, betel nuts, sandalwood pulp) to the brahmanas and elderly members of the family, then to the queens, and then to the ministers, and if there were still some balance He would engage it for His own personal use
- First Lord Krsna made His parents and elders appear. Then Krsna Himself, with the sentiments and complexion of Radhika, appeared in Navadvipa, like the full moon, from the womb of mother Saci, which is like an ocean of pure milk
- Footsteps of his elder brothers
- For the pastimes of the Ratha-yatra ceremony, Lord Jagannatha got aboard one car, and His sister, Subhadra, and elder brother, Balarama, got aboard two other cars
- For this reason Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, the supreme teacher, accepts the form of a devotee and accepts Lord Nityananda as His elder brother
- He (Murari Gupta) was among the elders of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu
- He began to think, "I have given my word to a brahmana in a holy place, and what I promised will certainly come to pass. I must now disclose this to my wife, sons, other relatives and friends"
- He may be treated as a guest, if he comes to our center, give him prasadam, honor him as an elder Vaisnava, but he cannot speak or lecture. If he wants to lecture, you can tell him that there is already another speaker scheduled. That's all
- He said, "Your father's elder brother is less intelligent. He enjoys 800,000 coins, but since I am also a shareholder, he should give some portion of it to me
- He was always truthful, he knew how to chant the Vedic mantras, and he was also very pure. Ajamila was very respectful to his spiritual master, the fire-god, guests, and the elderly members of his household. Indeed, he was free from false prestige
- Her (Gandhari's) eldest son, Duryodhana, was advised to see the mother naked. She advised, "My dear son, tomorrow morning when you come to offer your obeisances to me, you come naked. I shall see you and you will be solidified just like iron"
- His elders such as Lord Nityananda, Advaita Acarya and Srivasa Thakura, as well as His other devotees - whether His juniors, equals or superiors - are all His associates who help Him in His pastimes. Lord Gauranga fulfills His aims with their help
- His sweet words, His simplicity, His shyness, His humility, His constant readiness to offer respect to the elderly, and His charity. All of these qualities are considered ecstatic provocations for parental love
- I have several times spoken to you that in my, when I was about six months old, I remember, I remember I was lying down on my eldest sister's lap, and she was knitting. I still remember it very vividly
- I remember when I was playing on the lap of my eldest sister, I remember still, and my body at that time six months old. But I still remember my eldest sister, she was nine years older than me, and I was playing on her lap and she was knitting
- I understand that You (Krsna) have appeared in order to kill the uncivilized Kamsa and his followers. But knowing that You were to appear in order to kill him and his followers, he has already killed so many of Your predecessors, Your elder brothers
- If I, Lord Brahma, and your elder brothers, the great saints and sages, cannot understand the limits of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, who is full of various energies, who else can understand them
- If SubalaVilasa wants to marry that African girl, I have no objection but whether she wants to marry him? Also, take the consent of her parents and elder brothers
- If we (the elder gopis) keep our stock of yogurt, butter and milk in a solitary dark place, your Krsna and Balarama find it in the darkness by the glaring effulgence of the ornaments and jewels on Their bodies
- In a meeting of learned men, when there are congratulations or addresses for the speaker, the qualifications of the congratulator should be as follows. He must be the leader of the house and an elderly man. He must be vastly learned also
- In his wife Simhika, Vipracitti begot one hundred and one sons, of whom the eldest is Rahu
- In Kimpurusa-varsa the great devotee Hanuman is always engaged with the inhabitants of that land in devotional service to Lord Ramacandra, the elder brother of Laksmana and dear husband of Sitadevi
- In old age, when the husband has taken sannyasa and left home, she remains the property of the sons. A woman is always dependent, either upon the father, husband or elderly sons. That will be exhibited in the life of Devahuti
- In Sanskrit word, that one becomes elderly without being advanced in age. That means he knows the knowledge. Therefore he is elderly. An elderly person means advanced in knowledge, not by age
- In the modern society, even a boy thinks himself self-sufficient and pays no respect to elderly men. Due to the wrong type of education being imparted in our universities, boys all over the world are giving their elders headaches
- In the Padyavali of Rupa Gosvami it is stated that when the gopis hear the sound of Krsna's flute, they immediately forget all rebukes offered by the elderly members of their families
- In the presence of all the damsels of Vraja, He presented the valuable jewel (resembling a conchshell) to His elder brother, Balarama
- In the presence of all the townspeople, Lord Gopala bore witness that the elderly brahmana had offered his daughter in charity to the young brahmana
- In this second division of Bhakti-rasamrta-sindhu the author offers his respectful obeisances unto "Sanatana." This Sanatana can be interpreted as either Sri Krsna Himself or as Sanatana Gosvami, the elder brother and spiritual master of Rupa Gosvami
- In this way Sri Krsna, along with His elder brother Balarama, passed the childhood age known as kaumara and stepped into the age of pauganda, from the sixth year up to the tenth
- In Vrndavana You also have Your father's elder brothers, Your father's younger brothers, maternal uncles, husbands of Your father's sisters and many cowherd men. There are also cowherd boyfriends, and You eat twice a day, morning and evening
- It is a Vedic custom that the junior members of the family should offer respects to the elders every morning. The children or disciples especially should offer their respects to their parents or spiritual master in the morning
- It is sometimes difficult for elderly people to live in our ISKCON society, so you have to make it as congenial as possible for them and see that they are peaceful in all respects
- Kamsa had eight brothers, headed by Kanka, all of them younger than he, and when they learned that their elder brother had been killed, they combined together and rushed toward Krsna in great anger to kill Him
- King Bali had one hundred sons, and the eldest of all of them was Banasura
- King Bhismaka of Vidarbha wanted to offer Krsna his daughter, Rukmini, but Rukmi, the eldest of his five sons, objected. Therefore Bhismaka withdrew his decision and decided to offer Rukmini to the King of Cedi, Sisupala, who was a cousin of Krsna's
- King Bhismaka wanted to give his daughter, Rukmini, in charity to Krsna, but Rukmi, his eldest son, objected. Therefore he could not carry out his decision
- King Bhismaka was from the very beginning inclined to hand over his beautiful daughter to Krsna. In one way or another his purpose had been served, and so he was pleased to join the marriage ceremony, even though his eldest son was degraded in the fight
- King Bhismaka was not enthusiastic about handing his daughter (Rukmini) over to Sisupala, but he was obliged to accept the marriage settlement due to his affectionate attachment for his eldest son (Rukmi), who had negotiated it
- King Yudhisthira was the elder cousin of Krsna. Naturally he had great affection for the Lord, and as soon as he saw Him, his heart became filled with great love and affection
- Krsna addressed Balarama, "My dear elder brother, best among the Aryans, You are the Lord of the universe, and, specifically, You are the protector of the Yadu dynasty"
- Krsna and Balarama present Themselves as younger brother and elder brother, but in the scriptures They are described as the original Supreme Personality of Godhead and His expansion
- Krsna appeared along with Balarama (Baladeva), who is known as His elder brother. Balarama is the origin of Sankarsana, of the quadruple expansion. Balarama is also the plenary expansion of Krsna
- Krsna attracts even the mind of the goddess of fortune. He attracts, in special cases, the minds of young girls. He attracts the minds of the elderly ladies by paternal affection. He attracts the mind of the male in the humors of servitude & friendship
- Krsna continued, "I can understand that the marriage of Rukmini with Sisupala has been arranged by her elder brother in a spirit of animosity toward Me; so I am determined to give a good lesson to all of these princes"
- Krsna continued, "There is one difficulty, and that is that My elder brother, Sri Balarama, does not believe My version that the jewel is with you (Akrura)"
- Krsna continued, "While I was kidnapping you (Rukmini), your elder brother Rukmi violently protested and fought with Me. As a result of the fight, I defeated him mercilessly and disfigured his body"
- Krsna first of all offered respect to His spiritual master, then to His father and then to His elder brother, Balarama. In this way Lord Krsna, the lotus-eyed, was completely happy and pure at heart in all of His dealings
- Krsna replied, "My elder brother, Balarama, while playing with Me today, became angry, and therefore He has joined with the other boys to complain against Me. They have all combined together to complain so you will be angry and chastise Me"
- Krsna said, "Therefore I think your mothers, your fathers, your elder brothers and even your sons, and what to speak of your husbands, must be very anxious to find you"
- Krsna saw the two chariots present before Him and immediately addressed His elder brother, Balarama, who is also known as Sankarsana
- Krsna spoke to His elder brother Balarama as follows: "My dear brother, You are superior to all of us, and Your lotus feet are worshiped by the demigods. Just see how these trees, full with fruits and flowers, have bent down to worship Your lotus feet"
- Krsna was always very silent about His love affairs with Radharani, so much so that Baladeva, Krsna's elder brother and constant companion, could not understand the transformations of Krsna on account of His gravity
- Krsna's grandsons kidnapped Duryodhana's daughter, which caused a fight between the Kuru and Yadu families. Afterward, an adjustment was made by the elderly members of the Kuru family. Such marriages were current in bygone ages
- Kuntidevi never forgot her first child, Karna, and after Karna's death in the Battle of Kuruksetra she lamented and admitted before her other sons that Karna was her eldest son prior to her marriage with Maharaja Pandu
- Learned scholars have described the impetus of parental love for Krsna, existing in the elderly personalities who are in relation with Him, as follows
- List of personalities who enjoy parental affection toward Krsna 1) Mother Yasoda, the Queen of Braja, 2) Maharaj Nanda, the King of Braja, 3) Mother Rohini, the mother of Balarama, 4) all the elderly gopis whose sons were taken away by Lord Brahma
- Lord Balarama then offered His respectful obeisances to the elderly cowherd men and accepted the obeisances of the younger cowherd men. Thus, according to their different ages and relationships, Lord Balarama exchanged feelings of friendship with them
- Lord Krsna attracts the minds of all young girls and elderly ladies by His childlike activities. He also attracts the minds of His friends by His friendly activities. When He appeared in Vrndavana, He even attracted the birds, beasts, trees and plants
- Lord Krsna delightfully offered His respects and obeisances to Kunti and other elder ladies of the palace
- Lord Krsna thereafter offered His obeisances to the brahmanas present, as well as to the elder members of the Kuru dynasty, like Bhisma, Drona and Dhrtarastra
- Lord Rsabhadeva instructed His one hundred sons, of whom the eldest, Bharata, was a very advanced devotee and a follower of Vaisnavas. In order to rule the whole world, the Lord enthroned His eldest son on the royal seat
- Maharaja Nanda and other elder members argued that without satisfying the predominating god one cannot derive any good result simply by material activities. This is actually the fact
- Mahatma Vidura, being treated just like a godly person by his kinsmen (like Yudhisthira Maharaja), remained there (in Yudhisthira's home) for a certain period just to rectify the mentality of his eldest brother (Dhrtarastra)
- Mother Yasoda and Maharaja Nanda are considered to be the supermost of all elderly personalities
- Mother Yasoda would inform them (the elder gopis, "All right, keep your butter and yogurt carefully so that They (Krsna and Balarama) may not reach it"
- Mukunda dasa was the eldest brother of Narahari Sarakara
- My dear Raghunatha dasa, your father and his elder brother are just like worms in stool in the ditch of material enjoyment, for the great disease of the poison of material enjoyment is what they consider happiness
- My dear sir, my father and his elder brother are your brothers. All brothers always fight about something
- Nakula was put in charge of the store department (during the Rajasuya Sacrifice), and Arjuna in charge of looking after the comforts of the elder persons
- Nanda Maharaja smiled to hear about the extraordinary abilities of his son. He came forward and untied the knot just to free his wonderful child. After being freed by Nanda Maharaja, Krsna was taken onto the laps of the elder gopis
- Not only children but also elderly persons should be very careful to protect their sense of Krsna consciousness and avoid unfavorable circumstances so that they may not forget their prime duty
- Not only did Lord Krsna give Yasoda the chance to feed Him, but this time He gave the chance to all the elder gopis
- O my (Vasudeva) Lord (Krsna), Lord of the demigods, after hearing the prophecy that You would take birth in our (Vasudeva's and Devaki's) home and kill him (Kamsa), this uncivilized Kamsa killed so many of Your elder brothers
- O sons of Daksa (the Savalasvas), please hear my (Narada Muni's) words of instruction attentively. You are all very affectionate to your elder brothers, the Haryasvas. Therefore you should follow their path
- Observing the inauspicious signs, the cowherd men, including Maharaja Nanda, became very anxious out of fear. At the same time they were informed that Krsna had gone to the pasturing ground without His elder brother, Balarama
- Of Ciranjiva's two sons, the elder, Ramacandra Kaviraja, was a disciple of Srinivasa Acarya and an intimate associate of Narottama dasa Thakura. The younger son was Govinda dasa Kaviraja, the famous Vaisnava poet
- Of these eighteen maha-ratha sons of Krsna, Pradyumna is considered the foremost. Pradyumna happened to be the eldest son of Queen Rukmini, and he inherited all the qualities of his great father, Lord Krsna
- Once when Krsna came before Lord Balarama, He was anxious to offer His respects to His elder brother, but at that time Balarama's club was lowered down upon Krsna's lotus feet
- Once, when He (Lord Krsna) was engaged in tending the calves in the forest along with His elder brother, Balarama, a demon named Bakasura appeared, and Krsna at once bifurcated the demon's beak
- One can compensate for a life of frustration by becoming a dhira, or leaving home for good without communicating with relatives, and Vidura advised his eldest brother to adopt this way without delay because very quickly the age of Kali was approaching
- One cannot enjoy sovereignty or perform an agnihotra-yajna in the presence of one's elder brother, or else one becomes a usurper, known as parivetta
- One devotee therefore prayed to the parents of Lord Krsna as follows, "Let me take shelter of the elderly parental devotees of Lord Krsna"
- One night Radharani was talking in a dream. "My dear Krsna, please do not play any more jokes on Me! Please stop! And please don't touch My garments either. Otherwise I shall inform the elderly persons, and I shall disclose all of Your naughty behavior
- One of the elderly friends said, "My dear Mandalibhadra, why are you wielding a shining sword as though you were running towards Aristasura to kill him"
- One should never pass over the honor due to an elderly spiritual master in the interests of one's own personal gain and fame. Impertinence on the part of the pseudo spiritual master is very risky to progressive spiritual realization
- One time, having seen the great disturbances in Brhadvana, all the elderly persons among the cowherd men, headed by Nanda Maharaja, assembled and began to consider what to do to stop the continuous disturbing situations in Vraja
- Rukmi, the elder brother of Krsna's first wife, Rukmini, was greatly harassed and insulted in his fight with Krsna, but on the request of Rukmini his life was spared. Since then Rukmi held a great grudge against Krsna and was always inimical toward Him
- Rupa and I are his elder brothers. He stayed with us continuously
- Rupa Gosvami states that when the gopis hear the sound of Krsna's flute, they immediately forget all rebukes offered by the elderly members of their families. They forget their defamation and the harsh behavior of their husbands
- She is situated at the topmost level of ecstatic love. (20) She is the reservoir of loving affairs in Gokula. (21) She is the most famous of submissive devotees. (22) She is very affectionate to elderly people
- Sikhi Mahiti's sister was named Madhavi-devi. She was an elderly lady who always performed austerities. She was very advanced in devotional service
- Similarly, the transcendental mellow of Ugrasena, Krsna's grandfather, is mixed with servitude and parental affection. The affection of all the elderly gopis in Vrndavana is a mixture of parental love, servitude and fraternity
- Since your father and his elder brother are younger brothers of Nilambara Cakravarti, I may joke about them in this way
- Sisupala said, "Many sages & elder persons are present, but still they have accepted the statement of a foolish boy. This means by the influence of time even the intelligence of such honored persons as those present in this meeting can be misdirected"
- Sisupala was selected as her (Rukmini) bridegroom by Rukmini's elder brother, although King Bhismaka wanted his daughter to be married to Krsna
- So children have parents, elderly persons must have grown up children to protect them, and woman must have husband
- Some offered Him (Balarama) respects by standing up and then paying obeisances, and those who were elderly great sages and brahmanas offered Him blessings after standing up
- Sometimes when Lord Krsna's elder brother, Lord Balarama, felt tired after playing and lay His head on the lap of a cowherd boy, Lord Krsna Himself served Him by massaging His feet
- Somewhere Lord Krsna was found discussing the ultimate auspicious activity for the entire human society with His elder brother, Lord Balarama
- Somewhere Lord Krsna was found satisfying elderly superiors by supplying them things they needed
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu said, "Srila Rupa Gosvami's elder brother, whose name is Sanatana Gosvami, is such a wise and learned scholar that no one is equal to him"
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu said, "You are an elderly brahmana, you are sincere, and you are advanced in spiritual life. Wherefrom have you gotten this transcendental opulence of ecstatic love for Krsna"
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu’s elder brother was named Visvarupa. He left home before Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and accepted the sannyasa order under the name of Sankararanya Svami
- Sri Krsna knew that His elder brother, Lord Baladeva, was arranging her (Subhadra's) marriage elsewhere, and since He did not dare to go against the arrangement of Baladeva, He advised Arjuna to kidnap Subhadra
- Sri Mukunda dasa was the son of Narayana dasa and eldest brother of Narahari Sarakara. His second brother's name was Madhava dasa, and his son was named Raghunandana dasa
- Sri Vallabha and his elder brothers Sri Rupa and Sanatana came from Candradvipa to the village in the Maldah district of Bengal known as Ramakeli. It is in this village that Srila Jiva Gosvami took birth, accepting Vallabha as his father
- Sri Vallabha Bhatta had two sons. The elder, Gopinatha, was born in 1432 Sakabda Era (A.D. 1510), and the younger, Viththalesvara, was born in 1437 (A.D. 1515) and died in 1507 (A.D. 1585)
- Srila Rupa Gosvami begins his great book by offering his respectful obeisances unto Sri Sanatana Gosvami, who is his elder brother and spiritual master, and he prays that Bhakti-rasamrta-sindhu may be very pleasing to him
- Srila Rupa Gosvami states that his elder brother (Sanatana Gosvami) has compiled Hari-bhakti-vilasa for the guidance of the Vaisnavas, and therein has mentioned many rules and regulations to be followed by the Vaisnavas
- Sukadeva Gosvami answered: Pradyumna, the eldest son of Krsna, born of Rukmini, was Cupid himself. He was so beautiful and attractive that the daughter of Rukmi, namely Rukmavati, could not select any husband other than Pradyumna during her svayamvara
- Sukadeva Gosvami said, "To the Vrsnis He (Krsna) is the Supreme Personality of Godhead. In such a predominating position Krsna appeared in that arena along with His older brother Balarama"
- Sukadeva Gosvami said: My dear King (Pariksit), your four sons - Janamejaya, Srutasena, Bhimasena and Ugrasena - are very powerful. Janamejaya is the eldest
- Sukadeva Gosvami tells King Pariksit, "My dear King, as soon as the elderly gopis saw their sons coming, there was an inexpressible sign of parental love, and all of them became absorbed in affection"
- Taking this opportunity, the elderly brahmana immediately confirmed that this was really true. He said, "If Gopala personally comes here to serve as a witness, I shall surely give my daughter to the young brahmana"
- The affection of all the elderly gopis in Vrndavana is a mixture of parental love, servitude and fraternity. The affection of the sons of Madri - Nakula and Sahadeva - as well as the affection of the sage Narada, is a mixture of friendship and servitude
- The cuckoos there sing nicely in five kinds of tunes. Krsna, the reservoir of pleasure, blowing His flute, accompanied by His elder brother Balarama and the other cowherd boys and the cows, entered the beautiful forest of Vrndavana to enjoy the atmosphere
- The elder brother of Yavana-raja, known as Prajvara, set fire to the city to please his younger brother, whose other name is fear itself
- The elder brothers of Nanda Maharaja were Upananda and Abhinanda
- The elder gopis of Vrndavana were so absorbed in affection for Krsna that they wanted to save Him, although there was no need to, for He had already protected Himself. They could not understand Krsna was the Supreme Personality of God playing as a child
- The elder gopis said, "If by chance They (Krsna and Balarama) cannot find the hidden butter and yogurt, They go to our little babies and pinch their bodies so that they cry, and then They go away"
- The elder gopis said, "If They (Krsna and Balarama) cannot reach (the butter and yogurt), They make a hole in the pot. We think therefore that you’d better take all the jeweled ornaments from the bodies of your children"
- The elder gopis said, "Now just see how your boy (Krsna) is hearing these complaints. All day He simply makes arrangements to steal our butter and yogurt, and now He is sitting just like a very silent good boy. Just see His face"
- The elder gopis said, "Sometimes They steal butter, yogurt & milk & distribute them to the monkeys. When the monkeys are well fed & do not take any more, then your boys chide," 'This milk & butter and yogurt are useless - even the monkeys won't take it'
- The elder gopis said, "Sometimes, being unable to steal our butter and yogurt, out of anger They (Krsna and Balarama) pass urine on the clean floor and sometimes spit on it"
- The elder gopis said, "When Krsna and Balarama are caught stealing the yogurt and butter, They say," ‘Why do you charge Us with stealing? Do you think that butter and yogurt are in scarcity in Our house?'
- The elder gopis said, "when we go to milk the cows, we find no milk, and we have to return with empty pots. If we warn Krsna and Balarama about doing this, They simply smile so charmingly that we cannot do anything"
- The elder gopis said, "Yes, actually we do so, but because we are sometimes engaged in our household duties, these naughty boys (Krsna and Balarama) enter our house somehow or other and spoil everything"
- The elder gopis said, "Your Krsna and Balarama find great pleasure in stealing our stock of yogurt and butter from wherever we keep it"
- The elder gopis' affection for the boys causelessly increased
- The elder members of the family, such as Bhisma, wanted to arrest him (Samba). Thus all the members of the Kuru dynasty, especially the great fighters, joined together just to teach him a lesson, and Karna was made the commander in chief
- The elderly brahmana prayed, "My dear Lord Gopala, I have taken shelter of Your lotus feet, and therefore I request You to please protect my religious principles from disturbance and at the same time save my kinsmen from dying"
- The elderly brahmana said, "How can I undo the promise I made in a holy place while on pilgrimage? Whatever may happen, I must give him my daughter in charity"
- The elderly brahmana said, "If I do not give my daughter to the young brahmana, he will call Sri Gopalaji as a witness. Thus he will take my daughter by force, and in that case my religious principles will become meaningless"
- The elderly brahmana said, "My daughter is my own property. If I choose to give my property to someone, who has the power to stop me"
- The elderly brahmana said, "My dear friends, please hear what I have to submit. I do not exactly remember making a promise like that"
- The elderly brahmana thought, "Since Lord Krsna is very merciful, He will certainly come to prove my statement"
- The elderly brahmana's son immediately confirmed this, saying, "Yes, this is a very nice settlement"
- The elderly friends said, "If you will all look more closely you will see that it is only a thunder cloud upon Govardhana Hill; it is not the Aristasura in the shape of a bull, as you have imagined"
- The elderly friends said, "My dear Bhadravardhana, there is no need to make these threatening motions"
- The elderly gopi continued, "Now, even before you have left, the life air of all the gopis has practically disappeared"
- The elderly gopis could not distinguish between their own sons and Krsna, for since their own sons had been taken by Brahma, Krsna had expanded as their sons
- The elderly persons in Vrndavana are also merciless; they do not take our plight into consideration and stop Krsna's journey to Mathura
- The elderly persons like Nanda Maharaja and Yasodadevi, the friends like Sridama, Sudama and the other cowherd boys, the gopis like Srimati Radharani and Her associates, and even the birds, beasts, cows and calves are attracted (by Krsna)
- The eldest son of Gauridasa Pandita was known as big Balarama, and the youngest was known as Raghunatha. The sons of Raghunatha were Mahesa Pandita and Govinda. Gauridasa Pandita's daughter was known as Annapurna
- The eldest son of Rukmini, Pradyumna, was married with Mayavati from his very birth, and afterwards he married Rukmavati, the daughter of his maternal uncle, Rukmi. From Rukmavati, Pradyumna had a son named Aniruddha
- The example of Krsna's gentle behavior was manifested when He was coming to the arena of the raja-suya sacrifice arranged by Maharaj Yudhisthira, Krsna's older cousin
- The father of Dhruva Maharaja, King Uttanapada, ruled over the universe because his elder brother, Priyavrata, practiced austerity from the very beginning of his life
- The four great sages (Kumaras) were elder to Lord Siva, and when they were seated on the golden throne, they appeared just like fire blazing on an altar
- The funeral ceremony of Bhismadeva was a necessary duty, although he was a liberated soul. Since Bhismadeva was without issue, the eldest grandson, namely Maharaja Yudhisthira, was the rightful person to perform this ceremony
- The funeral ceremony was a necessary duty, although Bhismadeva was a liberated soul. Since Bhismadeva was without issue, the eldest grandson, namely Maharaja Yudhisthira, was the rightful person to perform this ceremony
- The gopis said, "Your instructions to women to be faithful to their husbands and merciful to their children, to take care of household affairs and to be obedient to the elder members of the family, are surely just according to the tenets of the sastras"
- The great sage Narada, the elder personalities of the Yadu dynasty, and the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Krsna Himself, all supported the statement of Uddhava
- The Lord continued, Your father and his elder brother are both related as brothers to My grandfather, Nilambara Cakravarti. Therefore I consider them My grandfathers
- The Lord said, "Now go to Vrndavana and stay there,You may send here your elder brother, Sanatana"
- The next day, the elderly brahmana was thinking deeply about this matter when the young brahmana came to his house
- The other gopi continued, "Here the vibration of the flute was heard, and Krsna, along with His elder brother, Sri Balarama, enjoyed the atmosphere in our company. Thus the environment of Vrndavana constantly reminds us of Krsna and Balarama"
- The river of Srimati Radharani has reached You from a long distance - leaving far behind the tree of Her husband, breaking through the bridge of social convention, and forcibly crossing the hills of elder relatives
- The whole catastrophe of the defeat was due to the envious nature of Rukmini’s elder brother Rukmi
- The young brahmana then said, "Will all you gentlemen present please hear me? This elderly brahmana is certainly truthful and is following religious principles"
- Then the elderly brahmana, being very pleased, came forward and immediately fell like a stick in front of Gopala
- There were severe torrents of hail when Krsna was staying in the forest of Vrndavana, and the elderly persons bade Him
- These are some of the signs of parental love for Krsna by His mother, father and elderly persons. Symptoms of ecstatic love in parental affection are expressed when Krsna is accepted as the son
- These relations of the cows & gopis with their calves & boys remained unchanged, although actually the original calves & boys were not there. Actually the cows’ affection for their calves & the elder gopis’ affection for the boys causelessly increased
- They (the elderly gopis) took Him away to the courtyard of the house and began to clap, praising His wonderful activities. Krsna danced along with their clapping, just like an ordinary child
- They (the Queens) were especially surprised to see that Lord Krsna had embraced him exactly as He embraced His elder brother, Balaramaji, because Lord Krsna used to embrace only Rukmini or Balarama, and no one else
- This list is in order of superior importance, and thus we can see that Mother Yasoda and Maharaj Nanda are considered to be the supermost of all elderly personalities
- Thus one day the elderly brahmana called for a meeting of all his relatives and friends, and before them all he narrated what had taken place in front of Gopala
- To please Rukmini, Balarama personally untied Rukmi, and to further please her, Balarama, as the elder brother of Krsna, spoke some words of chastisement. "Krsna, Your action is not at all satisfactory"
- Vidura advised his elder brother Dhrtarastra to concentrate his mind and worship only Krsna
- Vidura did not ask about the welfare of his elder brother because there was no chance of his well-being, only news of his gliding down to hell
- Vidura was much older than Uddhava. By family relationship Uddhava was a contemporary brother of Krsna's, while Vidura was as elderly as Krsna's father Vasudeva
- Vidura, while trying to detach his elder brother, Dhrtarastra, from his familial attachments, said, "My dear brother, you just fix your mind on the lotus feet of Krsna, who is worshiped with beautiful erudite verses by great sages and saintly persons"
- We can simply imagine how fierce the fighting was - Lord Siva with his valiant sons on one side, and Lord Krsna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, and His elder brother, Sri Balaramaji, on the other
- When a child, a woman must be strictly controlled by her father. When she is young, she must be strictly controlled by her husband, and when she is old, she must be controlled by her elderly sons
- When Brahma was deluded by Krsna, who expanded Himself into so many cowherd boys, calves and cows, Krsna's elder brother, Sri Baladeva (a direct expansion of Krsna Himself), felt astonishment and said
- When He (Balarama) returned to Dvaraka, He was received with great jubilation by relatives and friends, headed by King Ugrasena and other elder persons, who all came forward to welcome Him
- When he is old enough, then the husband leaves the home and gives charge to the elderly son: "My dear boys, take charge of your mother." So she is always in charge of somebody
- When I was in America first, I saw some little boys, not more than ten to twelve years, smoking cigarette. I was astonished that "What kind of education is there?" But they don't mind. Even in their classroom, the elderly young boys and girls, they smoke
- When Krishna appeared on the earth Pradyumna appeared as His son born of Rukmini. The immediate expansion of Krishna is Baladeva who appeared as elder brother of Krishna and Baladeva expands Himself further as Sankarsana, Vasudeva, Pradyumna, Aniruddha
- When Krsna was residing in Dvaraka, some of the elderly members of the Yadu family would occasionally put some important matter before Him
- When Krsna was sitting before mother Yasoda, all the elder gopis began to lodge complaints against Him so that Krsna could hear
- When Laksmana, the younger brother of Lord Ramacandra, heard of this, He immediately engaged Himself in the service of His elder brother and accepted His orders. The order of the spiritual master must be obeyed without consideration
- When Lord Krsna appeared, He (Balarama) became His elder brother to serve Him to His heart's content and make Him enjoy all sorts of happiness
- When Lord Krsna understood that there was great danger in the city of Dvaraka, He took permission from the elder members of the Pandava family, especially from His aunt Kuntidevi, and started immediately for Dvaraka
- When Lord Krsna, along with His elder brother Balarama and sister Subhadra, came to Kuruksetra in a chariot on the occasion of a solar eclipse, many mystic yogis also came
- When Rukmini was going to be married to Sisupala by the choice of her elder brother, she wrote the above letter to Krsna requesting Him to kidnap her. This is an instance of impudence in ecstatic love for Krsna
- When Samba forcibly took away Laksmana, the elder members of the Kuru dynasty were pleased to see that he was actually the suitable match for her
- When she (Draupadi) was lost in a gambling game, she was forcibly dragged into the assembly hall, and an attempt was made by Duhsasana to see her naked beauty, even though there were elderly persons like Bhisma and Drona present
- When the elderly brahmana heard this, his mind became very much agitated. Feeling helpless, he simply turned his attention to the lotus feet of Gopala
- When the elderly brahmana's son heard this, he took the opportunity to juggle some words. Becoming very impudent, he stood before the assembly and spoke as follows
- When the gopis saw Krsna fearlessly playing on Putana’s lap, they very quickly came and picked Him up. Mother Yasoda, Rohini and other elder gopis immediately performed the auspicious rituals by taking the tail of a cow and circumambulating His body
- When the rsi (Durvasa Muni) wanted to award some benediction to Duryodhana, the latter wished that he should visit the house of Maharaja Yudhisthira, who was the eldest and chief among all his cousins
- When Uddhava was leaving Vrndavana, some of the elderly gopis rebuked him as follows: "O son of Gandini, your cruelty is defaming the dynasty of King Yadu. You are taking Krsna away, keeping us in such pitiable condition without Him"
- When Vidura was invited by his elder brother (Dhrtarastra) for consultation, he entered the house and gave instructions which were exactly to the point. His advice is well known, and instructions by Vidura are approved by expert ministers of state
- While watching the rasa dance performed by Lord Krsna and the gopis, Lord Siva beheld the beautiful face of Krsna and immediately began to dance and beat upon his small dindima drum. While Siva was dancing in ecstasy, his eldest son, Ganesa, joined him
- Without hesitation, she (hunchback) caught the rear part of His cloth, began to pull it. She smiled flirtatiously & admitted that she was agitated by lusty desires. She forgot that she was on the street & before the elder brother of Krsna & His friends
- Woman requires protection by the father, by the husband and by the elderly children. But that is now finished. Practically no protection. They are, under the name of so-called freedom, loitering in the street
- Woman should stay under the father, under the husband, and under the elderly sons. Nothing more
- Yadu had four sons, named Sahasrajit, Krosta, Nala and Ripu. Of these four, the eldest, Sahasrajit, had a son named Satajit, who had three sons, named Mahahaya, Renuhaya and Haihaya
- Yayati is the son of Maharaja Nahusa, and he became the emperor of the world due to his elder brother's becoming a great and liberated saintly mystic
- Yes, if there are African girls also who want to join us, and if they get the consent of their elder family members to live with us, they may live in the temple provided there is separate place for them so that boys and girls will not mix freely
- You do not have to flatly deny that you spoke such a thing. There is no need to make a false statement. Simply say that you do not remember what you said
- You have promised to give your daughter in charity to me. Now you do not say anything. What is your conclusion