Caitanya and Haridasa Thakura
Pages in category "Caitanya and Haridasa Thakura"
The following 147 pages are in this category, out of 147 total.
- After a hole was dug in the sand, the body of Haridasa Thakura was placed into it. Remnants from Lord Jagannatha, such as His silken ropes, sandalwood pulp, food and cloth, were placed on the body
- After circumambulating the tomb of Haridasa Thakura, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu went to the Simha-dvara gate of the Jagannatha temple. The whole city chanted in congregation, and the tumultuous sound vibrated all over the city
- After embracing both Haridasa Thakura and Sanatana Gosvami, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu returned to His residence. Then Haridasa Thakura and Sanatana Gosvami, in great ecstatic love, began to describe the Lord’s transcendental attributes
- After embracing him, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu left to perform His noon duties and went to the sea to take His bath
- After hearing of the transcendental qualities of Haridasa Thakura, all the devotees present were struck with wonder. They all offered their respectful obeisances to the lotus feet of Haridasa Thakura
- After talking in this way, Sanatana Gosvami and Jagadananda Pandita returned to their respective duties. The next day, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu went to see Haridasa and Sanatana Gosvami
- After this incident the Lord blessed Haridasa Thakura and vanquished the offense of His mother at the home of Advaita Acarya
- After this, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu carefully delivered some prasadam into the hands of Govinda to be given to Haridasa Thakura
- After thus offering respect to each and every devotee, Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu became very jubilant. However, not seeing Haridasa Thakura, He inquired, "Where is Haridasa"
- After visiting the temple, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu would remain outside during the upala-bhoga offering. He would then go meet Haridasa Thakura and return to His residence
- All glories to the master of Srinivasa Thakura! All glories to the master of Haridasa Thakura! All glories to the dear master of Gadadhara Pandita! All glories to the master of the life of Svarupa Damodara
- Although Haridasa Thakura, as a Vaisnava, did not take seriously the brahmana's offense, the Supreme Personality of Godhead could not tolerate it, and thus he made the brahmana suffer the consequences
- Among the other devotees were Gadadhara, Jagadananda, Sankara, Vakresvara, Damodara Pandita, Thakura Haridasa, Raghunatha Vaidya and Raghunatha dasa
- Anyone who has seen the festival of Haridasa passing away, anyone who has chanted, danced here, anyone who has offered sand on the body of Haridasa, and anyone who has joined this festival to partake of the prasadam will achieve Krsna's favor very soon
- As He described the transcendental attributes of Haridasa Thakura, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu seemed to possess five mouths. The more He described, the more His great happiness increased
- As soon as Haridasa Thakura and Rupa Gosvami saw the Lord coming, they both stood up and then fell down to offer Him their respectful obeisances. Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu embraced them both and then sat down
- As soon as Haridasa Thakura saw Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, he immediately fell down like a stick to offer Him obeisances, and Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu raised him up and embraced him
- As Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu heard this from Haridasa Thakura, the happiness within His heart increased, but as a matter of course, He still inquired further
- At Jagannatha Puri, Haridasa Thakura passed away. The incident was very wonderful because the Lord Himself performed the festival of Thakura Haridasa's departure
- At that very moment, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, after visiting the temple of Jagannatha to see the offering of upala-bhoga (morning refreshments), came with His other devotees to see Haridasa Thakura
- Because Haridasa Thakur was always chanting the holy name of the Lord, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu accepted him as namacarya, the authority in chanting the holy name
- Because He had to perform His noon duties, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu got up to leave, but it was settled that the following day, after He saw Lord Jagannatha, He would return to visit Haridasa Thakura
- Because of the devotional service of these two persons (Advaita Acarya and Haridasa Thakura), Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu descended as an incarnation. Thus He preached the holy name of the Lord and ecstatic love of Krsna to deliver the entire world
- Being merciful upon Me, Krsna gave Me the association of Haridasa Thakura. Being independent in His desires, He has now broken that association
- By chanting and dancing, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu induced Advaita Acarya to dance. Sometimes He induced Nityananda Prabhu, Haridasa Thakura and Acyutananda to dance
- By his causeless mercy he ordered me to write about the last pastimes of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu
- Caitanya Mahaprabhu appeared to glorify the significance of the holy name. He is actually the acarya, namacarya, but He transferred His namacarya-ship to Haridasa Thakura
- Caitanya Mahaprabhu appeared to introduce this system of Hare Krsna mantra, chanting of the holy name of God, and He appointed this Haridasa Thakura, who happened to be a Muhammadan
- Catching the lotus feet of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, Haridasa Thakura said, "My Lord, do not create an illusion! Although I am so fallen, You must certainly show me this mercy"
- Continue this door to door program. It is very nice. Lord Nityananda used to do that; Haridasa Thakura used to do that; all of Lord Caitanya's close associates used to do that. So we must follow in their footprints
- Even Caitanya Mahaprabhu, He was training Haridasa Thakura, Nityananda, "Go there. Preach there. Do that." My Guru Maharaja was doing that
- Every day Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu would go there to meet these two stalwart devotees and discuss topics of Krsna with them for some time
- Every day Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu would go to see Rupa Gosvami, and whatever prasadam He received from the temple He would deliver to Rupa Gosvami and Haridasa Thakura
- Everyone began to chant, "All glories to Haridasa Thakura, who revealed the importance of chanting the holy name of the Lord"
- Everyone drank the water that had touched the lotus feet of Haridasa Thakura, and then they smeared remnants of Lord Jagannatha's sandalwood pulp over Haridasa Thakura's body
- Govinda saved some remnants of food left by Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and kept them carefully. Later, one portion of these remnants was delivered to Haridasa Thakura
- Greatly satisfied by the statements of Haridasa Thakura, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu embraced him. Outwardly, however, He avoided further discussions of these matters
- Haridasa offered his obeisances to the Lord and replied, "My body is all right, but my mind and intelligence are not well"
- Haridasa Thakura made Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu sit down in front of him, and then he fixed his eyes, like two bumblebees, on the lotus face of the Lord
- Haridasa Thakura offered obeisances to the lotus feet of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, and the Lord embraced him in ecstatic love
- Haridasa Thakura said to Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, "Here is Sanatana Gosvami offering his obeisances." Seeing Sanatana Gosvami, the Lord was greatly surprised
- Haridasa Thakura said, "Let Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu take His lunch with the devotees. Since I am abominable, I cannot sit down among you"
- Haridasa Thakura was not only the topmost devotee of the Lord but also a great and learned scholar. It was his great fortune that he passed away before Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu
- Haridasa Thakura, he belonged to the Muhammadan community. He was made namacarya, the principal acarya of this chanting Hare Krsna. That is the revolutionary method of Caitanya
- Having said this, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu got up and left, and through Govinda He sent prasadam for them to eat
- He (Lord Caitanya) elevated Thakura Haridasa to the position of namacarya, or the authority in preaching the glories of the holy name of the Lord, although His Holiness Srila Haridasa Thakura was pleased to appear in a family of Mohammedans
- He began to chant the holy name of Sri Krsna Caitanya again and again. As he drank the sweetness of the face of the Lord, tears constantly glided down from his eyes
- He held the lotus feet of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu on his heart and then took the dust of the feet of all the devotees present and put it on his head
- He would talk for some time with them both and then leave to perform His noontime duties
- Headed by Svarupa Damodara Gosvami, all the devotees of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu surrounded Haridasa Thakura and began congregational chanting
- Hearing all this, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu was astonished. "These are actually My confidential pastimes," He thought. "How could Haridasa have understood them"
- I am begging prasadam for a festival honoring the passing away of Haridasa Thakura, the Lord said. "Please give Me alms"
- I am unseeable and untouchable, but You have accepted me as Your servant. This means that You have delivered me from a hellish condition and raised me to the Vaikuntha platform
- I have had one desire for a very long time. I think that quite soon, my Lord, You will bring to a close Your pastimes within this material world
- I have learned about the glories of the Lord's holy name from Haridasa Thakura, and by his mercy I have understood these glories
- I have not finished chanting my regular number of rounds. How, then, can I eat? But you have brought maha-prasadam, and how can I neglect it
- I was born in an inferior family, and my body is most abominable. I always engage in low work. Therefore, I am the lowest, most condemned of men
- I wish that You not show me this closing chapter of Your pastimes. Before that time comes, kindly let my body fall down in Your presence
- I wish to catch Your lotuslike feet upon my heart and see Your moonlike face
- Immediately He ran to the river Ganges and jumped in to counteract the sinful activities of that woman. Lord Nityananda and Haridasa Thakura caught Him and raised Him from the river
- In front of all the great devotees like Ramananda Raya and Sarvabhauma Bhattacarya, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu began to describe the holy attributes of Haridasa Thakura
- In the dead of night the two brothers, Dabira Khasa and Sakara Mallika, went to see Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu incognito. First they met Nityananda Prabhu and Haridasa Thakura
- In the evening the report of the preaching work was submitted to the Lord, and He was glad to learn that Nityananda and Haridasa had attempted to deliver such a stupid pair of fellows
- In the Third Chapter is a description of the forceful glories of Haridasa Thakura. That chapter also mentions how Damodara Pandita spoke words of criticism to Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu
- In this way Sanatana Gosvami stayed under the care of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and discussed the transcendental qualities of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu with Haridasa Thakura
- Let me offer my respectful obeisances unto Haridasa Thakura and his master, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, who danced with the body of Haridasa Thakura on His lap
- Lord Caitanya accepted Haridasa Thakura as His disciple, although Haridasa happened to be born of a Muhammadan family, and Lord Caitanya later on made him the acarya of the chanting of the holy name of the Lord
- Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu assured Haridasa Thakura that He would place a petition before Lord Jagannatha and that He would certainly take him there to Jagannatha Puri
- Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu embraced Haridasa Thakura and informed him that he was none other than an incarnation of Prahlada Maharaja
- Lord Caitanya smiled and said, "Listen, Haridasa and Sanatana. Now I am speaking the truth about how My mind is attached to you"
- Lord Nityananda began to walk with Caitanya Mahaprabhu to see that He would not fall, and Advaita Acarya and Haridasa Thakura followed Them, dancing
- Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu inquired, "My dear Haridasa, what is the news?" Haridasa Thakura replied, "My Lord, whatever mercy You can bestow upon me"
- Lord Sri Krsna, before appearing as Lord Caitanya, requested these devotees to precede Him: Sri Sacidevi, Jagannatha Misra, Madhavendra Puri, Kesava Bharati, Isvara Puri, Advaita Acarya, Srivasa Pandita, Acaryaratna, Vidyanidhi and Thakura Haridasa
- My body could not be used in the service of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu. Therefore although it took birth in the land of India, this body has been useless
- My dear Lord, by Your mercy You have made me dance in many ways. For example, I was offered the sraddha-patra, which should have been offered to first-class brahmanas. I ate from it even though I was born in a family of meat-eaters
- My Lord, if an insignificant insect like me dies, what is the loss? If an ant dies, where is the loss to the material world
- My Lord, You are always affectionate to Your devotees. I am just an imitation devotee, but nevertheless I wish that You fulfill my desire. That is my expectation
- O devotees of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, please hear something about the qualities of Haridasa Thakura that Srila Vrndavana dasa Thakura has not described in detail
- One day Govinda, the personal servant of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, went in great jubilation to deliver the remnants of Lord Jagannatha's food to Haridasa Thakura
- One day Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu met Haridasa Thakura as usual, and in the course of discussion He inquired as follows
- One may say that he understands the glories of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu. He may know whatever he may know, but as far as I am concerned, this is my conclusion
- Out of affectionate love and mercy, Haridasa Thakura told Srila Rupa Gosvami, "Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu has already informed me that you would come here"
- Sanatana Gosvami replied, "O Haridasa Thakura, who is equal to you? You are one of the associates of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu. Therefore you are the most fortunate"
- Sanatana Gosvami was very eager to see the lotus feet of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu. Therefore Haridasa Thakura said, "The Lord is coming here very soon"
- Saying this, he offered prayers to the maha-prasadam, took a little portion, and ate it
- Saying this, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu took Haridasa Thakura within the flower garden, and there, in a very secluded place, He showed him his residence
- Seeing Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, both Haridasa Thakura and Sanatana Gosvami immediately fell flat like rods to offer obeisances. The Lord then lifted Haridasa and embraced him
- Seeing the wonderful death of Haridasa Thakura by his own will, which was just like a great mystic yogi's, everyone remembered the passing away of Bhisma
- Seven devotees - Advaita, Nityananda, Haridasa Thakura, Vakresvara, Srivasa Thakura, Raghava Pandita and Gadadhara Pandita - formed seven groups and began dancing. Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, chanting "Haribol!" wandered from one group to another
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and the devotees came before Haridasa Thakura, who offered his respects to the lotus feet of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and all the Vaisnavas
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu bathed the body of Haridasa Thakura in the sea and then declared, "From this day on, this sea has become a great pilgrimage site"
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu danced for some time, and then Svarupa Damodara Gosvami informed Him of other rituals for the body of Thakura Haridasa
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu derives great pleasure from glorifying His devotees, and among the devotees, Haridasa Thakura is the foremost
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu exalted Haridasa Thakura, stating, "You are constantly studying the four Vedas, and you are far better than any brahmana or sannyasi"
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu exhibited the glories of the holy name of the Lord through Haridasa Thakura, who was born in a Muslim family
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu further inquired from Haridasa, "Can you ascertain what your disease is?" Haridasa Thakura replied, "My disease is that I cannot complete my rounds"
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu ordered Nityananda Prabhu, Advaita Acarya, Haridasa Thakura and Vakresvara Pandita to dance in each of the four respective parties
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu requested Haridasa Thakura, "Remain here and chant the Hare Krsna maha-mantra. I shall personally come here to meet you daily"
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu said, "Advaita Acarya, You have made Me dance in various ways. Now give up this practice. Go with Mukunda and Haridasa and accept Your lunch"
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu said, "My dear Haridasa, Krsna is so merciful that He must execute whatever you want"
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu then said to Haridasa Thakura, "My dear Haridasa, please hear Me. This gentleman wants to destroy another's property"
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu then sat down with Haridasa and Rupa Gosvami. They inquired from one another about auspicious news and then continued to talk together for some time
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu then saw in the distance that Haridasa Thakura was lying down flat on the road offering obeisances
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu then told everyone, "Say 'All glories to Haridasa Thakura!' and chant the holy name of Hari." Saying this, He personally began to dance
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu was repeatedly calling, "Haridasa, Haridasa," and at that time Haridasa, standing at a distance, spoke as follows
- Sri Nityananda Prabhu and Haridasa Thakura told Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu that two personalities - Sri Rupa and Sanatana - had come to see Him
- Srila Vrndavana dasa Thakura has vividly described the pastimes of Haridasa Thakura in his Caitanya-bhagavata. Whatever has remained undescribed I (Krsnadasa Kaviraja Gosvami) shall try to explain later in this book
- Srivasa, Haridasa, Ramadasa, Gadadhara, Murari, Mukunda, Candrasekhara and Vakresvara are all glorious and are all learned scholars, but the sentiment of servitude to Lord Caitanya makes them mad in ecstasy
- The body of Haridasa Thakura was then raised onto a carrier that resembled an airship and taken to the sea, accompanied by congregational chanting
- The devotees covered the body of Haridasa Thakura with sand and then constructed a platform upon the site. The platform was protected all around by fencing
- The Eleventh Chapter describes the disappearance of Haridasa Thakura and how Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, showed His affection for His devotees
- The Lord accepted Srila Haridasa Thakura, a veteran devotee of the Lord coming from a Mohammedan family. And there are many other great devotees of the Lord who came from different communities, sects and castes
- The Lord concluded, "Now, therefore, please reduce the fixed number of times you chant the Hare Krsna maha-mantra." Haridasa Thakura replied, "Kindly hear my real plea"
- The Lord raised the body of Haridasa Thakura and placed it on His lap. Then He began to dance in the courtyard in great ecstatic love
- The Lord replied to Haridasa Thakura, "Please check your humility. Just the sight of your humility very much agitates My mind"
- The Lord said, "Now that you have become old, you may reduce the number of rounds you chant daily. You are already liberated, and therefore you need not follow the regulative principles very strictly"
- The mission of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, for which He has descended as an incarnation, is to spread the importance of chanting the holy name of the Lord. Now instead of personally doing so, He is spreading it through you
- The next day, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu went to Haridasa's place and inquired from him, "Haridasa, are you well"
- The next morning, after visiting the Jagannatha temple, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, accompanied by all His devotees, went hastily to see Haridasa Thakura
- The offerings of prasadam in the temple of Lord Jagannatha were of the highest quality. Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu would bring this prasadam and deliver it to the two devotees
- The Third Chapter also tells how Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu delivered everyone by bestowing upon the universe the holy name of the Lord, and it describes how Haridasa Thakura established the glories of the holy name by his practical example
- The twentieth branch of the Caitanya tree was Haridasa Thakura. His character was wonderful. He used to chant the holy name of Krsna 300,000 times a day without fail
- Then all the devotees, headed by Svarupa Damodara Gosvami, concluded that because Haridasa had committed suicide at the confluence of the rivers Ganges and Yamuna, he must have ultimately attained shelter at the lotus feet of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu
- Then Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu went to His personal devotees and began speaking about Haridasa Thakura's transcendental qualities as if He had hundreds of mouths
- Then, when Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu left with all of His devotees, Haridasa Thakura also embraced Srila Rupa Gosvami
- They (Rupa and Sanatana) changed their names to Sakara Mallika and Dabira Khasa. Practically they became Muhammadan. And in those days many other Muhammadans, they also became this follower of Caitanya cult, especially Haridasa Thakura
- This was explained by Thakura Haridasa when Caitanya Mahaprabhu inquired from him how living entities lower than human beings can be delivered from material bondage
- Thus I have spoken about the victorious passing away of Haridasa Thakura. Anyone who hears this narration will certainly fix his mind firmly in devotional service to Krsna
- Thus Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and His personal devotees met Rupa Gosvami and Haridasa Thakura. The Lord then sat down in an elevated place with His devotees
- Thus Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu embraced both Haridasa Thakura and Sanatana Gosvami and then got up and left to perform His noon duties
- Thus Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu embraced Haridasa and Rupa Gosvami and left for the seaside to perform His noontime duties
- When Caitanya Mahaprabhu was residing at Jagannatha puri, Haridasa Thakura, who happened to be Muhammadan by birth, was with Him. In Hindu temples, especially in those days, no one but a Hindu was allowed to enter
- When Haridasa Thakura and Rupa Gosvami saw that Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu had come with His intimate devotees, they both immediately fell down like logs and offered prayers to their lotus feet
- When Haridasa Thakura wanted to leave this material world, it was not within My power to detain him
- When Haridasa Thakura was at the last stage of his life, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu gave him His company and allowed him to touch Him. Thereafter, He took the body of Thakura Haridasa on His lap and personally danced with it
- When Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and Nityananda Prabhu went to accept the prasadam, They both called Mukunda and Haridasa to come with Them. However, Mukunda and Haridasa, both with folded hands, spoke as follows
- When Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu chanted this verse, Haridasa Thakura, upon hearing the vibration, became jubilant and began to dance while praising its meaning
- When the Lord arrived, Rupa Gosvami immediately offered his obeisances. Haridasa informed the Lord, "This is Rupa Gosvami offering You obeisances" and the Lord embraced him
- With His transcendental hands, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu personally covered the body of Haridasa Thakura with sand, chanting "Haribol! Haribol"
- With my tongue I shall chant Your holy name, 'Sri Krsna Caitanya!' That is my desire. Kindly let me give up my body in this way