atone | atoned | atonement | atonements | atones | atoning
This category has the following 2 subcategories, out of 2 total.
Pages in category "Atonement"
The following 83 pages are in this category, out of 83 total.
- A sinful activity cannot be counteracted by a pious activity. Thus real prayascitta, atonement, is the awakening of our dormant Krsna consciousness
- According to the Vedic system, if someone sees a Muslim he must perform rituals to atone for the meeting. Sanatana Gosvami always associated with Muslim kings. Not giving much attention to the Vedic injunctions, he used to visit the houses of Muslim kings
- Ajamila has already atoned for all his sinful actions. Indeed, he has atoned not only for sins performed in one life but for those performed in millions of lives, for in a helpless condition he chanted the holy name of Narayana
- Although calling the name of his son, he nevertheless uttered the four syllables na-ra-ya-na. Simply by chanting the name of Narayana in this way, he sufficiently atoned for the sinful reactions of millions of lives
- Although Lord Parasurama is fully powerful and uncontaminated, in order to exhibit ideal character He performed great sacrifices at Samanta-pancaka to atone for His so-called sinful killing of the ksatriyas
- Although ritualistic atonement may free one from sinful reactions, it does not awaken devotional service, unlike the chanting of the Lord's names, which reminds one of the Lord's fame, qualities, attributes, pastimes and paraphernalia
- As an expert physician diagnoses and treats a disease according to its gravity, one should undergo atonement according to the severity of one's sins
- As for atonement, if one has caught even a slight glimpse of devotional service, all needs to undergo prayascitta, atonement, are superseded
- As soon as Saturday is over and Sunday comes, they again begin their sinful activities, expecting to be forgiven the next Saturday. This kind of prayascitta, or atonement, is condemned by Pariksit Maharaja, the most intelligent king of his time
- Atonement is certainly unnecessary when one has achieved spontaneous love and, above that, attachment with love, which are signs of increasing advancement in kadacitki. Even in the stage of abhasa-rupa bhakti, all the reactions of sinful life are uprooted
- Atonement is prescribed in every scripture; even in Christian Bible there is atonement
- Authorities who are learned scholars and sages have carefully ascertained that one should atone for the heaviest sins by undergoing a heavy process of atonement and one should atone for lighter sins by undergoing lighter atonement
- Before your death, as soon as possible, you should atone. You should counteract. Otherwise you will suffer very much
- Before your death, if you accept some atonement, then next life you'll not suffer. Otherwise you'll carry with you the resultant action of your sinful activities and you'll have to suffer next life
- By following the Vedic ritualistic ceremonies or undergoing atonement, sinful men do not become as purified as by chanting once the holy name of Lord Hari
- Even after following such methods (pious atonement, speculative knowledge & meditation in mystic yoga) one takes to fruitive activities again, unable to control his mind, which is contaminated by the base qualities of nature, namely passion and ignorance
- Even if such a person atones and is punished by the government, he will again commit theft as soon as he comes out of jail. If punishment in jail is considered atonement, what is the benefit of such atonement
- Even one who does not want to commit sinful acts will be forced to do so by habit. Pariksit Maharaja therefore considered the process of atonement to have little value for saving one from sinful acts
- If he (sannyasi) entertains the idea of sense gratification, especially in relationship with a woman, the only atonement is to commit suicide at the confluence of the Ganges and Yamuna
- If one chants the Hare Krsna maha-mantra without offenses, all of one's sinful actions are surely atoned for immediately, but one should not commit such deeds again, for that is an offense
- If the man who blasphemed Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu is killed, his sinful action may be atoned
- If you have committed a murder, then you also be hanged. These are the laws. When the king orders somebody to be hanged on account of his committing murder, the king is not sinful. King is helping that rascal to atone his murdering activities
- If you want to be free from the reaction of the sinful activities in this life - exactly in the same way as Christian Bible advises that you have to make some atonement, go to the church and confess your sinful activities and pay some fine
- If, however, a devotee accidentally becomes involved in a sinful activity, Krsna purifies him. He does not have to undergo the regulative form of atonement
- In India even today the Hindu community often takes advice from expert scholars regarding how to counteract sinful activities. In Christianity also there is a process of confession and atonement
- Many other members of the Yadu dynasty who had come there with a view to atone for sinful activities accrued in the course of discharging their respective duties
- My dear King, as a pot containing liquor cannot be purified even if washed in the waters of many rivers, nondevotees cannot be purified by processes of atonement even if they perform them very well
- My dear son, killing a king who is an emperor is more severely sinful than killing a brahmana. But now, if you become Krsna conscious and worship the holy places, you can atone for this great sin
- Nevertheless, in spite of such knowledge, one is forced to commit sins again and again, even after performing acts of atonement. Therefore, what is the value of such atonement?
- Now Sukadeva Gosvami is suggesting the platform of speculative knowledge. Progressing from karma-kanda to jnana-kanda, he is proposing, prayascittam vimarsanam: "Real atonement is full knowledge"
- On the path of fruitive work one certainly commits sinful activities, and therefore according to the considerations of karma-kanda, different types of atonement are recommended
- One cannot be purified merely by undergoing austerity, penance, brahmacarya and the other methods of atonement I have previously described
- One cannot derive the proper benefit from other methods, such as pious atonement, speculative knowledge and meditation in mystic yoga
- One is prone to commit sinful activities even after atonement, which is therefore very inadequate for purification. On the path of speculative knowledge one becomes free from sinful life by understanding things as they are
- One may sometimes chant with offenses and sometimes without offenses, but if one seriously adopts this process, he will achieve perfection, which cannot be achieved through Vedic ritualistic ceremonies of atonement
- One should be very much repentant. Then Krsna is so kind. But he hasn't got to take to the prayascitta or, what is called, atonement system
- One who does not offer respect to the Supreme Personality of Godhead, to His Deity in the temple or to a tridandi sannyasi must undergo prayascitta (atonement)
- One who is always engaged in sinful activities must utilize the process of atonement called the prayascitta. Without doing so, one surely will be transferred to hellish planets to undergo miserable lives as the result of sinful activities
- Ordinary atonement may temporarily protect a sinful person, but it does not completely cleanse his heart of the deep-rooted desire to commit sinful acts
- Pariksit Maharaja placed a number of intelligent questions before Sukadeva Gosvami. One of these questions was, "Why do people undergo atonement if they cannot control their senses"
- Pariksit Maharaja's observations indicate that even five thousand years ago it was the practice of criminals to atone for their crimes but then commit the same crimes again, as if forced to do so
- Persons who subject themselves to the rules and regulations of atonement are not at all intelligent. Indeed, they are in the mode of darkness
- Sarvabhauma Bhattacarya continued, "Or, if I give up my own life, this sinful action may be atoned. However, neither of these ideas is befitting because both bodies belong to brahmanas"
- Simply atonement, or giving fine for some misdeed, that is not sufficient. One should be awakened to his knowledge about his responsibility
- Sometimes one who is very alert so as not to commit sinful acts is victimized by sinful life again. I therefore consider this process of repeated sinning and atoning to be useless
- Sukadeva Gosvami recommends that we should atone immediately, so long this body's there. Otherwise, we'll have to carry the effect and suffer next life
- Sukadeva Gosvami, equally intelligent, as befitting the spiritual master of Maharaja Pariksit, answered the King and confirmed that his statement concerning atonement was correct
- The acquirement of speculative knowledge is also considered a method of atonement
- The brahmanas could understand the purpose of the Lord (Balarama), and thus they suggested that He atone in a manner beneficial to them
- The brahmanas of Naimisaranya advised Baladeva to atone for the death of Romaharsana
- The chanting of the Hare Krsna mantra, or glorification of the name, fame and pastimes of the Lord, is recommended as the most perfect process of atonement because such chanting eradicates the dirt from one's heart completely
- The chanting of the holy name of Lord Visnu is the best method of atonement for one who murders women, the king or his father, for one who slaughters cows, and for all other sinful men
- The chanting of the holy name of Lord Visnu is the best process of atonement for a thief of gold or other valuables, for a drunkard, for one who betrays a friend or relative, or for one who kills a brahmana
- The chanting of the holy name of Lord Visnu is the best process of atonement for one who indulges in sex with the wife of his guru or another superior
- The Lord (Balarama) replied, "Yes, I must atone for this action, which may have been proper for Me but is improper for others; therefore, I think it is My duty to execute a suitable act of atonement enjoined in the authorized scriptures"
- The Lord (Balarama) thus placed Himself in the position of an ordinary ksatriya and informed the sages that He did not know in what way He could atone for His killing of Romaharsana, but whatever they would suggest He would be glad to accept
- The Manu-samhita prescribes that a man who has committed murder should be hanged and his own life sacrificed in atonement. Previously this system was followed all over the world, but since people are becoming atheists, they are stopping capital punishment
- The planned execution of sinful deeds on the strength of chanting the holy name of the Lord or undergoing prayascitta, atonement, cannot give relief to anyone, even to Indra or Nahusa
- The ritualistic ceremonies of atonement recommended in the religious scriptures are insufficient to cleanse the heart absolutely because after atonement one's mind again runs toward material activities
- The sages said, "O descendant of the Dasarha family, we all request You (Balarama) to kill this demon. We think that if You kindly kill him, that will be Your atonement on our behalf"
- The sages said, "We (the sages) do not, however, suggest what kind of act You (Balarama) should perform to atone for killing him; we simply suggest that You adopt some method of atonement so that others may follow Your action"
- The sinful man taken to the Yamaraja, he is put into suffering, the same principle as a prisoner. He has to suffer for a time, six months or one year or sometimes more than that, just to atone for his sinful activities
- There are methods of prayascitta, or atonement, but they are inadequate to cleanse one of sinful reactions. One can be cleansed of sinful reactions only by devotional service, as stated in regard to the history of Ajamila
- There is a system in the varnasrama institution by which before death one has to undergo the process of atonement for his sinful activities
- Therefore real atonement is enlightenment in perfect knowledge, Vedanta, by which one understands the Supreme Absolute Truth
- Therefore, before one's next death comes, as long as one's body is strong enough, one should quickly adopt the process of atonement according to sastra; otherwise one's time will be lost, and the reactions of his sins will increase
- This man Ajamila did not undergo atonement. Therefore because of his sinful life, we must take him into the presence of Yamaraja for punishment. There, according to the extent of his sinful acts, he will be punished and thus purified
- When Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu heard these details, He smiled in a pleased mood and said, "If with sensual intentions one looks at women, this is the only process of atonement"
- When the king orders somebody to be hanged on account of his committing murder, the king is not sinful. King is helpful. King is helping that rascal to atone his murdering activities