Collaborate with us to invoke and fully manifest Srila Prabhupada's Vani-presence.
chivalrous | chivalrously | chivalry
This category has the following 2 subcategories, out of 2 total.
Pages in category "Chivalry"
The following 75 pages are in this category, out of 75 total.
- A concrete example is Arjuna. He fought very chivalrously under the instructions of the Lord, and the Lord certified him to be the best devotee and friend of the Lord. So there is no distinction between chanting and offering the results of one's activity
- A devotee once said, "My dear Lord Krsna, may Your challenger, Sridama, become glorious for his chivalrous activities, such as vibrating like a thunder cloud and roaring like a lion. May all glories go to Sridama's chivalrous activities!"
- A dhirodatta is a person who is naturally very grave, gentle, forgiving, merciful, determined, humble, highly qualified, chivalrous and bodily attractive
- A ksatriya must show his power of chivalry to his would-be wife so that the daughter of a ksatriya can see the valor of her would-be husband
- According to certain expert opinions, in the ecstasy of conjugal love the feelings of chivalry known as yuddha-vira and dharma-vira are the only compatible additions
- According to some expert opinions, the ecstasy of neutral love is always compatible with devotional service in chivalry
- All the assembled kings and their daughters especially were struck with wonder and very much pleased upon hearing the chivalrous activities of Krsna
- And being absorbed so blissfully, I have lost all other desires, even the desire for mystic powers. Now my mind is only attracted to worshiping Your lotus feet." In this statement, the whole is the ecstasy of neutrality, and the part is chivalry
- Any person who is always ready to satisfy Krsna and who is always dexterous in executing devotional service is called dharma-vira, or chivalrous in executing religious rituals
- Arjuna promised all protection to one Mayasura, and the latter presented him one valuable conchshell celebrated as the Devadatta. Similarly, he received many other valuable weapons from Indradeva when he was satisfied to see his chivalry
- Arjuna said, "I had a fight with Lord Siva, who appeared before me as a hunter, and when I satisfied him by my prowess he gave me the weapon known as Pasupata. Do not doubt my chivalry"
- As a great fighter Bhismadeva was relishing the relation of Krsna in the chivalrous humor
- Besides the five direct mellows, there are seven indirect mellows, known as laughter, wonder, chivalry, compassion, anger, disaster and fear
- Bhadrasena therefore left the party of Balarama & joined Krsna, and he agitated his friends as much as the Mandara Hill had agitated the whole ocean. By his roaring sounds he deafened all his friends, and he enthused Krsna with his chivalrous activities
- By performing chivalrous activities in fighting, one is called yuddha-vira. By charitable activities one is called dana-vira
- Chivalrous activities can be manifested in the acts of mock-fighting, giving charity, showing mercy and executing religious principles
- Chivalrous activities in the matter of fighting, charity, mercy and execution of religious rituals are called constitutional
- Chivalrous activities in the matter of fighting, the expression of pride, emotions, endurance, kindness, determination, jubilation, enthusiasm, jealousy and remembrance are called unconstitutional
- Chivalrous devotee
- In a direct relationship of conjugal love, there is laughter, astonishment, chivalry, lamentation, anger and dread, but there is no ghastliness. These expressions are considered to be the great reservoirs of pleasure
- In addition to the five direct mellows, there are seven indirect mellows, known as laughter, wonder, chivalry, compassion, anger, disaster and fear
- In such chivalrous fighting between friends (like Krsna & Arjuna), there is sometimes bragging, self-complacence, pride, power, taking to weapons, challenging & standing as opponent. All of these symptoms become impetuses to chivalrous devotional service
- In the devotional service of neutrality there is sustenance, in chivalrous devotional service there is expansion, in compassionate devotional service there is reflection, in angry devotional service there is lamentation, and so on
- In the devotional service of neutrality there is sustenance; there is expansion in chivalrous devotional service; there is reflection in compassionate devotional service; in angry devotional service there is lamentation, and so on
- In the fourth division of Bhakti-rasamrta-sindhu, Srila Rupa Gosvami has described seven kinds of indirect ecstasies of devotional service, known as laughing, astonishment, chivalry, compassion, anger, dread and ghastliness
- In the revealed scriptures the following twelve varieties of rasas are enumerated: (1) anger, (2) wonder, (3) conjugal love, (4) comedy, (5) chivalry, (6) mercy, (7) servitorship, (8) fraternity, (9) horror, (10) shock, (11) neutrality, (12) parenthood
- In these chivalrous activities, only Krsna's friends can be the opponents. Krsna's enemies can never actually be His opponents. Therefore, this challenging by Krsna's friends is called devotional service in chivalrous activities
- In this statement there are two kinds of mellows: chivalry and dread. Both of them, however, improve the position of parental love, and therefore there is no incompatibility
- In this statement, although there is a mixture of chivalrous activities and astonishment in devotional service, there is no perverted reflection of mellows
- Indirect devotional service is divided into laughter, compassion, anger, chivalry, dread, astonishment and ghastliness. Devotional service can therefore be divided into twelve types, each of which has a different color
- It is said that a person is great if he is decorated with the qualities of being very merciful toward the unfortunate, very powerful, superior, chivalrous, enthusiastic, expert and truthful
- Kings from different parts of the world were invited to see the great sacrifice performed by King Yudhisthira, and the citizens, comprising learned brahmanas, chivalrous ksatriyas, well-to-do vaisyas and faithful sudras, all visited the ceremony
- Krsna began to throw his arrows at Sridama. Sridama began to block these arrows by whirling his pole, and by Sridama's chivalrous activities, Krsna became very satisfied
- Krsna is the S P of God, the cause of all causes, the reservoir of all rasas, or relationships, which are called neutrality, servitorship, friendship, parenthood, conjugal love, comedy, compassion, fear, chivalry, ghastliness, wonder and devastation
- Krsna replied, "Foolish Salva, you are talking nonsensically. You do not know that the moment of death is already upon your head. Actual heroes do not talk much. They prove their prowess by practical exhibition of chivalrous activities"
- Narada Muni said, "I will see how You (Krsna) kill the King of Cedi and Dantavakra during the great sacrifice of Maharaja Yudhisthira. Besides all this, it will be possible for me to see many other chivalrous activities while You remain in Dvaraka"
- Narada Muni said, "My dear Lord (Krsna), I shall be able to see how You marry princesses, the daughters of chivalrous kings, by paying the price of ksatriya strength"
- Persons who are desirous of becoming great personalities must be decorated with the following qualities: equilibrium of the mind, austerity, equality, forbearance, placidity, learning, knowledge, detachment, opulence, chivalry and influence
- Prthu Maharaja was famous amongst the people because of his chivalrous activities. He did not have to advertise himself artificially. One's factual reputation cannot be covered
- Samba fell in love with the daughter of Duryodhana, and since according to ksatriya custom one is not offered a ksatriya's daughter unless he displays his chivalrous valor, Samba abducted her. Consequently Samba was arrested by the Kauravas
- Sanandana said, "When the king is asleep in the morning, the appointed reciters come around his bedroom and begin to sing of his chivalrous activities, and while hearing of his glorious activities, the king gradually awakens"
- Struck with wonder upon seeing Rukmini, they thought she was especially manufactured by the Creator to bewilder all the great chivalrous princes
- Such mock-fighting (as with Krsna and Sridama) generally takes place amongst chivalrous persons and creates wonderful excitement for all viewers
- The apparent wounds caused by the sharpened arrows are misleading to the common man, but one who has a little absolute knowledge can understand the transcendental exchange (between Bhismadeva and Krsna) in the chivalrous relation
- The chivalrous princes assembled there were so overwhelmed by Rukmini's beauty that they became almost unconscious and fell from their horses and elephants. Full of lust, they hopelessly desired Rukmini's hand, comparing their own beauty to hers
- The devotee said, "His arms are very long, touching His thighs, and He has shown His great strength by killing the Pralamba demon. Let me take shelter of this chivalrous Balarama"
- The ecstasy of devotional service in chivalry (yuddha-vira) and anger are directly produced by Krsna Himself
- The Lord killed many undesirable kings in His time, and as a ksatriya He fought chivalrously. He is famous as the asamaurdhva, unparalleled. No one is equal to or greater than Him
- The monarchs were all chivalrous personalities, and therefore monarchy should be maintained provided the monarch is regularly trained in the occupational duties of a king
- The Pandavas acted as truly chivalrous heroes, exhibited all the good qualities of ksatriyas and were very responsible princes, always thinking of the welfare of the citizens
- The reigning king should be a pious, chivalrous devotee of the Lord and fear personified for the upstarts. He must also leave an heir apparent equally qualified to rule over the innocent citizens
- These (being very merciful toward the unfortunate, very powerful, superior, chivalrous, enthusiastic, expert and truthful) decorations were manifested in the character of Krsna during His Govardhana-lila
- This is an instance of chivalry in ecstatic love
- Visala said, "why are you acting so enthusiastically when you actually have no importance at all?" This is an example of a mixture of devotional fraternity and chivalry. The chivalry is taken as the whole, and the fraternity is taken as the part
- Visala said, "Why are you attempting to show your chivalrous spirit before me? Before this, you even attempted to fight with Sridama, but you must know that Sridama does not even care to fight with hundreds of Balaramas"
- When a friend wants to satisfy Krsna by performing some chivalrous activities, the friend becomes the challenger, & Krsna Himself becomes the opponent; or else Krsna may give audience to the fighting, and by His desire another friend becomes the opponent
- When everyone present on the battlefield saw this wonderful feat of Pradyumna's, the great fighters on both sides praised his acts of chivalry
- When in the ecstasy of a serving humor there are manifestations of dread, neutral love or chivalry (such as dharma-vira and dana-vira), the result is compatible
- When in the rasa of neutral love (santa-rasa) there are found traces of ghastliness or astonishment, the result is compatible. When with this neutral love there are manifestations of conjugal love, chivalry, anger or dread, the result is incompatible
- When Lord Balarama spoke in a commanding tone full of heroic assertion, supremacy and chivalry, the leaders of the Kuru dynasty did not appreciate His statements. Rather, all of them became agitated, and with great anger they said
- When on account of love and devotional service for the Lord there is special valorous enthusiasm, the resultant activities are called chivalrous
- When there is a roaring challenge, certain kinds of movement for fighting, enthusiasm, no weapons and assurance given to frightened witnesses - all these chivalrous activities are called sub-ecstasy
- With the ecstasy of anger in devotional service a mixture of compassion or chivalry is compatible, whereas a mixture of laughter, conjugal union or dread is completely incompatible
- With the ecstasy of chivalry in devotional service a mixture of conjugal union, laughter or anger is always incompatible
- With the ecstasy of devotion in astonishment a mixture of chivalry or neutral love is compatible, whereas a mixture of anger or dread is always incompatible
- With the ecstasy of devotional chivalry a mixture of astonishment, laughter or servitude is compatible, whereas a mixture of dread or conjugal love is incompatible
- With the ecstasy of fraternal love a mixture of conjugal love, laughter or chivalry is highly compatible. With the same fraternal love, a mixture of dread or parental love is most incompatible
- With the ecstasy of parental love a mixture of conjugal love, chivalry or anger is incompatible