Category:Krsna Book Chapter 84 - Sacrificial Ceremonies Performed by Vasudeva
Pages in category "Krsna Book Chapter 84 - Sacrificial Ceremonies Performed by Vasudeva"
The following 120 pages are in this category, out of 120 total.
- After finishing the offering with all the required paraphernalia, they all took their baths together in the lakes constructed by Parasurama, which are known as the Rama-hrada
- After first offering prayers to Lord Krsna, the assembled sages wanted to take permission from King Dhrtarastra and King Yudhisthira and then depart for their respective asramas
- After Nanda Maharaja received these farewell presentations, he, along with his associates, started for Vrajabhumi, Vrndavana
- After offering the used articles to the singers and reciters, Vasudeva and his wives, dressed with new ornaments and garments, fed everyone very sumptuously, from the brahmanas down to the dogs
- After performing this sacrifice, Vasudeva felt so satisfied that there was no limit to his happiness. All the members of his family were with him, and in their presence he caught hold of the hands of Nanda Maharaja and addressed him thus
- After the performance of the different sacrifices, Vasudeva offered ample riches, clothing, ornaments, cows, land and maidservants to the priests
- All the friends, family members, wives and children of Vasudeva assembled together, along with all the kings and members of the Vidarbha, Kosala, Kuru, Kasi, Kekaya and Srnjaya dynasties
- All the kings, led by Krsna and Balarama, worshiped the sages according to the Vedic rules and regulations
- All those who heard considered the speech of Krsna for some time, and they concluded that Krsna was actually the S.P.G playing the role of an ordinary humans , who is forced to take a certain type of body as a result of the reactions of his past deeds
- Along with his (Vasudeva) eighteen wives, headed by Devaki, sat before the priests to be purified by the abhiseka ceremony. While the ceremony was observed strictly according to the principles of the scriptures, he resembled the moon encircled by stars
- Among the women present at Kuruksetra during the solar eclipse were Kunti, Gandhari, Draupadi, Subhadra and the queens of many other kings, as well as the gopis from Vrndavana
- As soon as the sages and ascetics arrived, all the kings, including Maharaja Yudhisthira and the other Pandavas and Lord Krsna and Balarama, immediately got up from their seats and offered respects by bowing down to the universally respected sages
- At that time, however, Vasudeva, the father of Lord Krsna and the most celebrated of all pious men, approached the sages and with great humility offered his respects by falling down at their feet
- At that time, when Krsna and Balarama, along with Their wives, children and relatives, sat down in that great sacrificial arena, it appeared that the SP of Godhead was present along with all the living entities and multienergies that are part of Him
- At the end of this time, all the members of the Yadu dynasty tried to please the inhabitants of Vrndavana to their hearts’ content
- Because he (Vasudeva) was being initiated for the sacrifice, he was dressed in a deerskin, but all his wives were dressed with very nice saris, bangles, necklaces, ankle bells, earrings and many other ornaments
- Being covered by the spell of Your (Krsna's) internal potency, yogamaya, You are now temporarily concealing Your unlimited potencies, but still we can understand Your exalted position, and therefore all of us (sages) offer You our respectful obeisances"
- Gandharvas and their wives, whose voices were very sweet, began to sing many auspicious songs. Vasudeva anointed his eyes with black cosmetic, smeared butter over his body
- Great personalities and sages have unanimously recommended that to purify the dust of material contamination accumulated in the heart and to clear the path of liberation and thereby achieve transcendental bliss, one must please Lord Visnu
- Great personalities and sages who are able to see everything clearly through the eyes of the revealed scriptures and possess vision of the three phases of the time element, namely past, present and future
- Having concluded that Krsna was the S.P of Godhead, the sages addressed Him thus, "Dear Lord, we, the leaders of human society, are supposed to possess the proper philosophy of life, yet we are bewildered by the spell of Your external energy"
- He (Krsna) was assuming this pastime as an ordinary human simply to teach the people in general how they should live for perfection of the human mission
- His (Vasudeva) eyes filled with tears, and he began to cry. Nanda Maharaja, desiring to please his friend Vasudeva and being affectionately bound with love for Lord Krsna and Balarama, passed three months in their association
- Krsna continued, "By worshiping all the elements and their predominating deities, one can gradually become free from the influence of envy, but all the sins of an envious person can be nullified immediately simply by serving a great soul"
- Krsna continued, "If one happens to meet a great devotee, a mahatma who is a representative of the Personality of Godhead, one is immediately purified"
- Krsna continued, "One cannot purify himself merely by traveling to holy places of pilgrimage and taking a bath there or by seeing the demigods’ forms in the temples"
- Krsna continued, "To become purified, one is enjoined to worship the fire, the sun, the moon, the earth, the water, the air, the sky and the mind"
- Lord Krsna and Lord Balarama, along with King Ugrasena, satisfied the inhabitants of Vrndavana, headed by Maharaja Nanda and the cowherd men, by profusely offering all kinds of gifts to worship them and please them
- Lord Krsna appeared as Lord Narayana, and Lord Balarama appeared as Sankarsana, the reservoir of all living entities
- Lord Krsna condemned such ideas, and He also condemned persons who take the trouble to go to holy places of pilgrimage just to take a bath and come back without taking the opportunity to associate with the great devotees and mahatmas living there
- Lord Krsna said, "Persons who are neophytes in devotional service and who simply offer their respectful obeisances to the Deity in the temple but cannot realize that the Lord is situated in everyone’s heart"
- Lord Krsna said, "The neophyte cannot understand the importance of great sages, devotees or ascetics"
- Lord Krsna said, "They (neophytes) cannot take advantage of receiving these sages by seeing them with their eyes, by touching their lotus feet, by inquiring about their welfare or by diligently worshiping them"
- Lord Krsna said, "Those who simply worship different demigods for fulfillment of their own lusty desires, are unable to understand the importance of these sages"
- Lord Krsna said, "Today we have achieved the desired goal of life because we now see face to face all the exalted, liberated sages and ascetics, whom even the great demigods in the heavens desire to see"
- Lord Krsna spoke thus, "All glories to the assembled sages and ascetics! Today we all feel that our lives have become successful"
- Lord Visnu is the beneficiary of the results of all sacrificial performances. Great personalities and sages who are able to see everything
- Narada said, "His (Krsna's) knowledge is never subject to the laws of karma regarding pious or impious activities, nor is it influenced by the three modes of material energy"
- Narada said, "His (Krsna) knowledge is not affected by the process of creation, maintenance and annihilation, nor is it ever influenced by any agency beyond Himself, nor is it agitated by the interactions of the material qualities"
- Narada said, "His (Krsna) transcendental form is full of knowledge which never becomes agitated by ignorance, pride, attachment, envy or sense enjoyment"
- Narada said, "It is said that familiarity breeds contempt. As such, Vasudeva, having Krsna as his son, does not regard Krsna with awe and veneration"
- Narada said, "Lord Krsna is just like the sun, which, although it sometimes may appear to be so, is never covered by the cloud, snow or fog, or by other planets during an eclipse"
- Narada said, "My dear sages, it is not very difficult to understand that because of his great goodness and simplicity, Vasudeva, who has become the father of the PG by accepting Krsna as his son, is inclined to ask us about his welfare"
- Narada said, "No one is greater than or equal to Him (Krsna), because He is the supreme authority, the Personality of Godhead"
- Narada said, "Sometimes it is seen that persons living on the bank of the Ganges do not consider the Ganges very important, and they go far away to take their baths at a place of pilgrimage"
- Narada said, "The ordinary conditioned human being may think that the conditioned soul, who is covered by his materialistic senses, mind and intelligence, is equal to Krsna"
- Narada said, "There is no need for Vasudeva to ask us for instruction when Lord Krsna is personally present, because His knowledge is never second in any circumstance"
- Sage said, "None of the kings present here, even the members of the Yadu dynasty, who constantly mingle with You (Krsna), eat with You and sit with You, can understand that You are the original cause of all causes"
- Sages said, " You (Krsna) are the soul of everyone, the original cause of all creation"
- Sages said, "All great mystic yogis endeavor to revive their Krsna consciousness by mature practice of the yoga system just to understand Your lotus feet"
- Sages said, "Although You (Krsna) are transcendental to this entire material creation and are the Supreme and the Supersoul of all living entities, You appear on this earth by Your internal potency to protect Your devotees and destroy the miscreants"
- Sages said, "By the process of enjoying the senses of the material body, the spirit soul is covered, and his consciousness becomes materially contaminated. It is due to material consciousness that one cannot understand the SP of Godhead, Krsna"
- Sages said, "Dear Lord (Krsna), the Vedic knowledge is the representation of Your pure heart. Austerities, study of the Vedas, and meditative trances lead to different realizations of Your Self in Your manifested and nonmanifested aspects"
- Sages said, "Dear Lord (Krsna), we are all surrendered souls, devotees of Your Lordship; therefore, please be kind and bestow Your causeless mercy upon us"
- Sages said, "Dear Lord (Krsna), You are enjoying Your pastimes in the role of a human being, concealing Your real character of transcendental opulence"
- Sages said, "Desires are the causes of one's material bondage. Therefore, to get liberation from this bondage, one has to sacrifice his honestly earned riches for the satisfaction of Lord Visnu"
- Sages said, "Eventually he (a self-controlled person) should give up householder life and accept the renounced order, engaging himself completely in the devotional service of the Lord"
- Sages said, "Everyone wants to accumulate riches, everyone wants to enjoy life to the greatest extent, everyone wants a wife, home and children, and everyone wants to become happy in this world and be elevated to the heavenly planets in the next life"
- Sages said, "Everyone, even if born in a higher status as a brahmana, ksatriya or vaisya, is certainly indebted to the demigods, to the sages, to the forefathers and to other living entities"
- Sages said, "Factually, You (Krsna) are the ultimate goal of all transcendental achievements"
- Sages said, "In order to liquidate all these debts, one has to perform sacrifices, study the Vedic literature and generate children in religious householder life"
- Sages said, "Our dear Lord (Krsna), there is no end to Your unlimited knowledge. Your form is transcendental, eternally existing in full bliss and knowledge"
- Sages said, "Our dear Lord (Krsna), You are the creator of the social orders and spiritual statuses of human society according to quality and work, and when these orders are misguided by unscrupulous persons, You appear and set them right"
- Sages said, "Our dear Lord (Krsna), You are the last word in good fortune and the last resort of all saintly persons; therefore we all consider that we have achieved the perfection of our life"
- Sages said, "Self-controlled person, in householder life, should give up the three kinds of material desires, namely the desire for the acquisition of material opulences, for the enjoyment of wife and children, and for elevation to higher planets"
- Sages said, "The entire phenomenal world is a manifestation of Your (Krsna's) impersonal energy, but You Yourself, as the original Personality of Godhead, are not manifested there"
- Sages said, "The only process to counteract all sorts of material desires is to engage oneself in the devotional service of Lord Visnu"
- Sages said, "They (mystic yogis) meditate upon Your transcendental form to counteract their accumulated sinful reactions"
- Sages said, "Today you have already liquidated your debts to your forefathers and the sages. Now, by performing sacrifices, you can free yourself from indebtedness to the demigods and thus take complete shelter of the Supreme Personality of Godhead"
- Sages said, "We are all so fortunate that today we have been able to see Your (Krsna) lotus feet directly"
- Sages said, "When a person dreams at night, hallucinatory figures created by the dream are accepted as real, and the imaginary dream body is accepted as one’s real body"
- Sages said, "You (Krsna) always hold the brahmanas in respect, and You are considered to be the topmost of all followers of brahminical culture. You are therefore known as brahmanya-deva"
- Sages said, "You (Krsna) are the Supreme Personality of Godhead, the Supreme Brahman, the Supreme Soul"
- Sages said, "You (Krsna) are the Supreme Soul, the Supreme Brahman. Persons who are situated in brahminical culture, therefore, can understand the truth about Your transcendental form"
- Sages, "All conditioned souls within this material world have deep-rooted desires to lord it over the resources of material nature"
- Saintly Vasudeva, after hearing all the sages, offered his respectful obeisances unto their lotus feet. In this way he pleased the sages, and then he requested them to perform the yajnas
- The great sage Narada was the leader of all the sages present. Therefore he began to speak
- The members of the Yadu dynasty tried to satisfy Nanda Maharaja and his associates by offering them clothing, ornaments and many other valuable articles, and they all became fully satisfied
- The minds of the inhabitants of Vrndavana remained, however, with Krsna and Balarama, and therefore all of them started for Vrndavana without their minds
- The priests, the demigods, the people in general, the forefathers, the ghosts and the Caranas were all sufficiently remunerated by being offered ample gifts and respectful honor
- The sages present then began to address Vasudeva in the presence of Lord Krsna, Balarama and many other kings, and, as requested by him, they gave their instructions
- The sages said, "Although You (Krsna) create varieties of manifestations through Your energy, You are unaffected by all those actions"
- The sages said, "In the same way that the earth creates many forms of stone, trees and other varieties of names and forms and yet remains the same"
- The sages said, "My dear Vasudeva, certainly you have already performed many pious activities in your previous lives. Otherwise, how could you be the father of Krsna and Balarama, the Supreme Personality of Godhead"
- The sages said, "Our dear Lord (Krsna), by Your own energy You create, maintain and annihilate the whole cosmic manifestation of different names and form"
- The sages said, "We are surprised to see Your behavior, which is just like that of an ordinary human being and which conceals Your real identity as the Supreme Personality of Godhead, and we therefore consider Your pastimes to be all-wonderful"
- The sages were properly welcomed by being offered seats and water for washing their feet. Palatable fruits, garlands of flowers, incense and sandalwood pulp were presented
- Then all the persons assembled there took permission from Lord Krsna, the husband of the goddess of fortune, and while glorifying the perfection of the sacrifice made by Vasudeva, they departed to their respective homes
- They (members of the Vrsni family) were fully satisfied, for they regarded Krsna as everything
- Vasudeva looked very beautiful surrounded by his wives, exactly like the King of heaven when he performs such sacrifices
- Vasudeva said, " I am very opulent, because of my material prosperity I have become blind. I therefore cannot satisfy you properly even at this time"
- Vasudeva said, "A person seeking auspicious progress in life must avoid possessing too much material opulence so that he will not become blind and puffed up, and he should take care of his friends and relatives"
- Vasudeva said, "I have no means to repay you for your (Nanda Maharaj) friendly dealings. Nevertheless I am confident that our tie of love will never break"
- Vasudeva said, "I shall consider it a great blessing if you kindly explain the supreme fruitive activity by which one can counteract the reactions of all other activities"
- Vasudeva said, "I think that it is a very difficult job for even the great sages and saintly persons to cut such a tie of love"
- Vasudeva said, "My dear brother (Nanda Maharaj), you are so nice and gentle that you offer all respect to others but don’t care for any respect for yourself"
- Vasudeva said, "My dear brother (Nanda Maharaja), the Supreme Personality of Godhead has created a great tie of bondage known as the bondage of love and affection"
- Vasudeva said, "My dear brother, in the beginning, due to my being imprisoned, I could never serve you as a friend, and although at the present moment"
- Vasudeva said, "My dear brother, you have exhibited feelings of love for me that I was not able to return. I think, therefore, that I am ungrateful
- Vasudeva said, "My dear great sages, you are more respected than the demigods. I therefore offer my respectful obeisances unto you. I wish for you to accept my one request, if you so desire"
- Vasudeva said, "Our friendship must ever continue, in spite of my inability to repay you. I hope you will excuse me for this inability"
- Vasudeva satisfied Lord Visnu by performing different kinds of sacrifices, such as Jyotistoma and Darsa-purnamasa. Some of these yajnas are called prakrta, and some of them are known as saurya-satra or vaikrta
- Vasudeva, Ugrasena, Lord Krsna, Lord Balarama, Uddhava and all other members of the Yadu dynasty presented their individual gifts to Nanda Maharaja and his associates
- Vasudeva’s wives, dressed with nice garments and ornaments and golden necklaces, approached the arena of sacrifice carrying in their hands the required articles to offer in the sacrifice
- We (sages) know well that persons who have become liberated by engagement in Your devotional service are no longer contaminated by the material modes of nature; thus they have become eligible to be promoted to the kingdom of God in the spiritual world
- We have heard from the sastras that Lord Krsna has multienergies and parts and parcels, but now, in that sacrificial arena, all could actually experience how the Supreme Personality of Godhead eternally exists with His different energies
- When all the sages were comfortably seated, Lord Krsna, who descended for the protection of religion, began to address them on behalf of all the kings
- When everything was complete, there was heard the vibration of mrdangas, conchshells, kettledrums and other musical instruments. Professional dancers, both male and female, began to dance
- When King Dhrtarastra, Vidura, Yudhisthira, Bhima, Arjuna, Bhismadeva, Dronacarya, Kunti, Nakula, Sahadeva, Narada, Vyasadeva and many other relatives and kinsmen were about to depart, they felt separation and therefore embraced each and every member
- When one is promoted to the next platform of transcendental consciousness, one can understand the importance of mahatmas and devotees, and in that stage one tries to please them
- When the different queens of Lord Krsna were submitting their statements as to how they had been married and accepted by Lord Krsna as His wives, all the female members of the Kuru dynasty were struck with wonder
- When the members of the Vrsni family saw all their friends and visitors departing, they observed that the rainy season was approaching, and thus they decided to return to Dvaraka
- When the sages were selected as priests of the sacrifices, they in turn induced Vasudeva to collect the required paraphernalia for executing the yajnas in that place of pilgrimage
- When they returned to Dvaraka, they described with great satisfaction the sacrifice performed by Vasudeva, their meeting with various friends and well-wishers, and various other incidents that had occurred during their travels in the places of pilgrimage
- When Vasudeva was speaking to Nanda Maharaja in this way, he was influenced by a great feeling for the friendship of Nanda Maharaja and the beneficial activities executed by King Nanda on his behalf
- When Vasudeva was thus persuaded to start to perform the yajnas, all the members of the Yadu dynasty took their baths, dressed themselves very nicely, decorated themselves beautifully and garlanded themselves with lotus flowers