Category:Krsna Book Chapter 03 - The Birth of Lord Krsna
Pages in category "Krsna Book Chapter 03 - The Birth of Lord Krsna"
The following 102 pages are in this category, out of 102 total.
- According to the astrological conclusion, besides the proper situation of the stars, there are auspicious and inauspicious moments due to the different situations of the different planetary systems
- According to the Vedic system, whenever there is an auspicious ceremony in the ksatriya king’s palace, out of joy the king gives many things in charity. Cows decorated with golden ornaments are delivered to the brahmanas and sages
- After exchanging the boy for the girl, he (Vasudeva) returned to the prison of Kamsa and silently put the girl on the lap of Devaki. He again clamped the shackles on himself so that Kamsa could not recognize that so many things had happened
- All the birds within the forests began to sing with sweet voices, and the peacocks began to dance along with their consorts. The wind blew very pleasantly, carrying the aroma of different flowers, and the sensation of bodily touch was very pleasing
- Although the moon was incomplete on that night, because of the Lord's appearance in the dynasty wherein the moon is himself the original person, the moon was in an overjoyous condition, so by the grace of Krsna he could appear just like a full moon
- As confirmed in the Vedas, harir hi nirgunah saksat: "The Supreme Personality of Godhead is always free from all material qualities." It is also said that the qualities of passion and ignorance are nonexistent in the person of the Supreme Lord
- As You (Krsna) have said, material nature works under Your superintendence, just like a government officer working under the orders of the chief executive. The influence of subordinate activities cannot affect You
- At home (during the birth of Krsna), the brahmanas, who were accustomed to offering sacrifices in the fire, found their homes very pleasant for offerings
- At that time (of Krsna's birth) Vasudeva was in the transcendental position, and he became completely free from all fear of Kamsa. The newborn baby was also flashing His effulgence within the room in which He appeared
- At the time of Krsna’s birth, the planetary systems were automatically adjusted so that everything became auspicious. At that time, in all directions - east, west, south, north, everywhere - there was an atmosphere of peace and prosperity
- Because I (Vasudeva) am afraid of Kamsa You have appeared just to deliver me from that fear. You do not belong to this material world; You are the same person who brings about the cosmic manifestation simply by glancing over material nature
- Being forbidden to offer sacrifices, the brahmanas had been very much distressed in mind, intelligence and activities, but just on the point of Krsna's appearance, automatically their minds became full of joy
- Being ordered by the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Vasudeva prepared to take his son (Krsna) from the delivery room, and exactly at that time, a daughter was born to Nanda and Yasoda. She was Yogamaya, the internal potency of the Lord
- Both inert matter and the living force - the soul - are emanations from Him. Only the foolish conclude that when the Supreme Lord appears He accepts the conditions of matter
- By the influence of this internal potency, Yogamaya, all the residents of Kamsa’s palace, especially the doorkeepers, were overwhelmed with deep sleep, and all the palace doors opened, although they were barred and shackled with iron chains
- Darkness is entrusted to Lord Siva because he annihilates the cosmos. The creation, annihilation and maintenance of this cosmic manifestation are conducted by Your potencies, yet You are always unaffected by those qualities
- Devaki said, "All the conditioned souls are continually fleeing from one body to another and one planet to another, yet they do not get free from the onslaught of birth and death"
- Devaki said, "My Lord, I offer my respectful obeisances unto You because You are the director of the unmanifested total energy and the ultimate reservoir of the material nature"
- Devaki said, "My Lord, I request You to save me from the cruel hands of Kamsa, the son of Ugrasena. I am praying to Your Lordship to please rescue me from this fearful condition because You are always ready to give protection to Your servitors"
- Devaki said, "Such eternal forms (of Krsna's) are evercognizant and full of bliss; they are situated in transcendental goodness and are always engaged in different pastimes"
- Devaki said, "You (Krsna) are not limited to a particular form only; all such transcendental, eternal forms are self-sufficient. I can understand that You are the Supreme Lord Visnu"
- Devaki said, "You are original because all Your forms as incarnations are outside of this material creation. Your form was existing before this cosmic manifestation was created"
- Devaki said, "Your forms (Krsna) are eternal and all-pervading. They are self-effulgent, changeless and uncontaminated by the material qualities"
- Devaki said, “My dear Lord, Your eternal forms, like Narayana, Lord Rama, Hayasirsa, Varaha, Nrsimha, Vamana, Baladeva and millions of similar incarnations emanating from Visnu, are described in the Vedic literature as original"
- Due to disturbances created by the demoniac kings, the sacrificial fire had been almost stopped in the houses of brahmanas, but now they could find the opportunity to start the fire peacefully
- Due to the extraordinary features of the child, Vasudeva was struck with wonder. How could a newly born child be so decorated? Vasudeva could therefore understand that Lord Krsna had now appeared, and he became overpowered by the occasion
- Even after traveling all over the universe, from Brahmaloka to Patalaloka, one cannot escape the attack of birth, death, disease and old age. But one who enters the kingdom of God, the Lord says, is never again obliged to come to the material world
- Even if He appears to have accepted a material body, He is still not subjected to any material condition. Krsna has therefore appeared and defeated all imperfect conclusions about the appearance and disappearance of the Supreme Personality of Godhead
- I (Devaki) am still afraid because as soon as Kamsa understands that You (Krsna) have appeared, he might harm You. So I request that for the time being You become invisible to our material eyes
- I understand that You (Krsna) have appeared in order to kill the uncivilized Kamsa and his followers. But knowing that You were to appear in order to kill him and his followers, he has already killed so many of Your predecessors, Your elder brothers
- In an astronomical treatise by the name Khamanikya, the constellations at the time of the appearance of Lord Krsna are very nicely described. It is confirmed that the child born at that auspicious moment was the Supreme Brahman, or the Absolute Truth
- In that furious feature, the river gave passage to Vasudeva to cross, just as the great Indian Ocean gave a path to Lord Rama when He was bridging over the gulf
- In the Bhagavad-gita the Lord says that His appearance, birth and activities are all transcendental and that one who understands them factually becomes immediately eligible to be transferred to the spiritual world
- In the Caitanya-caritamrta it is said that Krsna is just like sunlight and that wherever there is Krsna, the illusory energy, which is compared to darkness, cannot remain
- In the heavenly planets (during the birth of Krsna), the angels and their wives, along with the Vidyadharas and their wives, began to dance
- In the Vedic injunctions we find that the Supreme Soul, or the root cause of everything, has to be searched out because nothing exists independently of the Supreme Soul. Therefore the material manifestation is also a transformation of His potency
- In this way Vasudeva crossed the river Yamuna. On the other side, he went to the place of Nanda Maharaja, situated in Gokula, where he saw that all the cowherd men were fast asleep
- It actually appeared as if the S. Personality of Godhead Visnu was being worshiped; the poisons emanating from the mouth of the serpent (Kaliya) appeared to be like flower offerings
- Liberation is not so important as the transcendental loving service of the Lord. The Lord could have awarded Prsni and Sutapa immediate liberation, but He preferred to keep them within this material world for His different appearances
- Lord Krsna appeared in the dynasty which is in the hierarchy of the moon
- Lord Visnu, who is residing within the heart of every living entity, appeared in the darkness of night as the Supreme Personality of Godhead before Devaki, who appeared as one of the demigoddesses
- Mother Yasoda understood that a child had been born to her, but because she was very tired from the labor of childbirth, she fell fast asleep. When she awoke, she could not remember whether she had given birth to a male or a female child
- My Lord (Krsna), Your appearance, existence and disappearance are beyond the influence of the material qualities. Because Your Lordship is the Supreme Brahman and the controller of everything, there is nothing inconceivable or contradictory in You
- My Lord, the whole cosmic manifestation is under the influence of time, beginning from the moment up to the duration of the year. All act under Your direction. You (Krsna) are the original director of everything and the reservoir of all potent energies
- My Lord, You are the supreme controller, the Personality of Godhead, the supreme great, maintaining the order of this cosmic manifestation. Yet in spite of Your being the supreme controller, You (Krsna) have so kindly appeared in my home
- On hearing the prayers of Devaki, the Lord replied, “My dear mother, in the millennium of Svayambhuva Manu, My father Vasudeva was living as one of the Prajapatis. His name at that time was Sutapa, and you were his wife named Prsni"
- On receiving the benediction from the Lord to become His father and mother, Prsni and Sutapa retired from the activities of austerity and lived as husband and wife in order to beget a child who was the Supreme Lord Himself
- One has to understand Your appearance with great intelligence because the material energy is also emanating from You (Krsna). You are the original source of the material energy, just as the sun is the source of the sunshine
- One may argue that the Supreme Personality of Godhead, who creates the whole cosmic manifestation simply by His glance, cannot come within the womb of Devaki, the wife of Vasudeva
- Over and over again Vasudeva glanced at his child, and he considered how to celebrate this auspicious moment: “Generally, when a male child is born,” he thought, “people observe the occasion with jubilant celebrations
- Since You (Krsna) are the Supreme Brahman, everything is existing within You, and since all the activities of material nature are controlled by Your Lordship, none of these activities affect You
- Suklam, or "whiteness," is the symbolic representation of the Absolute Truth because it is unaffected by the material qualities. Lord Brahma is called rakta, or red, because Brahma represents the quality of passion for creation
- The appearance of Lord Visnu at that time could be compared to the rising of the full moon over the eastern horizon. The objection may be raised that since Krsna appeared on the eighth day of the waning moon, there could be no rising of the full moon
- The body is nothing but the combination of the five gross elements - namely earth, water, fire, air and ether. Whenever there is a body, it appears that such elements are newly created, but actually the elements are always existing outside of the body
- The denizens of the Gandharva and Kinnara planets began to sing, and the denizens of Siddhaloka and the planets of the Caranas began to offer prayers in the service of the Personality of Godhead
- The great sages and the demigods, being pleased, began to shower flowers. At the seashore there was the sound of mild waves, and above the sea there were clouds in the sky which began to thunder very pleasingly
- The Lord’s appearance or birth is not like that of an ordinary man, who is forced to accept a material body according to his past deeds. The Lord’s appearance is explained in the Second Chapter: He appears out of His own sweet pleasure
- The night was very dark, but as soon as Vasudeva took Krsna on his lap and went out, he could see everything just as in the sunlight
- The purpose of Your appearance is to kill the followers of the demoniac rulers of the world, who are in the dress of royal princes but are actually demons. I (Vasudeva) am sure that You (Krsna) will kill all of them and their followers and soldiers
- The rivers were flowing full of waters, and lakes were beautifully decorated with lotus flowers. The forests were full with beautiful birds and peacocks (during the birth of Krsna)
- The Supreme Personality of Godhead is directly and indirectly existing everywhere; He is outside this material creation, and He is also within it. He is within this material creation not only as Garbhodakasayi Visnu; He is also within the atom
- There were auspicious stars visible in the sky (during the birth of Krsna), and on the surface in all towns and villages and pasturing grounds and within the minds of everyone there were signs of good fortune
- They (the brahmanas) could hear transcendental vibrations in the sky proclaiming the appearance of the Supreme Personality of Godhead
- This star (Rohni) is considered to be very auspicious and is under the direct supervision of Brahma
- To appear in the material world the Lord selected His mother and father - namely Prsni and Sutapa, respectively. Whenever the Lord comes as a human being, He must have a mother & father, so He selected Prsni & Sutapa perpetually as His mother and father
- Vasudeva began to offer his prayers. “My dear Lord, I can understand who You are. You are the S. P. of Godhead, the Supersoul of all living entities & the Absolute Truth. You have appeared in Your own eternal form, which is directly perceived by us"
- Vasudeva came onto the bank of the Yamuna and saw that the water of the Yamuna was roaring with waves and that the whole span was full of foam
- Vasudeva said, "Then again You (Krsna) expanded Yourself as Ksirodakasayi Visnu and entered into the hearts of all living entities and even within the atoms. Therefore Your entrance into the womb of Devaki is understandable in the same way"
- Vasudeva said, "You (Krsna) appear to have entered, but You are simultaneously all-pervading. We can understand Your entrance and nonentrance from material examples. The total material energy remains intact even after being divided into sixteen elements"
- Vasudeva said, "You (Krsna) were lying in the Causal Ocean as Maha-Visnu, and by Your breathing process, innumerable universes came into existence. Then You entered into each of the universes as Garbhodakasayi Visnu"
- Vasudeva said, “My dear Lord, it is not a very wonderful thing that You (Krsna) have appeared within the womb of Devaki, because the creation was also made in that way"
- Vasudeva saw that wonderful child born as a baby wearing bracelets, earrings and similar other ornaments all over His body, and beautified by an abundance of hair on His head
- Vasudeva saw that wonderful child born as a baby wearing the jeweled necklace of kaustubha stone, dressed in yellow silk, appearing dazzling like a bright blackish cloud, wearing a helmet bedecked with the vaidurya stone, valuable bracelets
- Vasudeva saw that wonderful child born as a baby with four hands, holding conchshell, club, disc and lotus flower, decorated with the mark of Srivatsa
- Vasudeva thought "In my home, although I am imprisoned, the Supreme Personality of Godhead has taken birth. How many millions and millions of times should I be prepared to observe this auspicious ceremony!"
- Vasudeva very humbly wondered that although he was an ordinary living entity conditioned by material nature and was externally imprisoned by Kamsa, the all-pervading Personality of Godhead, Visnu, or Krsna, was appearing as a child in his home
- Vasudeva wanted to perform a charitable ceremony to celebrate Krsna’s appearance, but because he was shackled within the walls of Kamsa’s prison, this was not possible. Instead, within his mind he gave thousands of cows to the brahmanas
- Visnu said: Although you saw Me personally, instead of asking for your complete liberation from material bondage, under the influence of My energy you asked Me to become your son
- Visnu said: At that time also I appeared before you in this form just to fulfill your desire, and I asked you to ask whatever you desired. At that time you wished to have Me born as your son
- Visnu said: By practicing the breathing exercises of the yoga system, both you (Prsni) and your husband (Sutapa) could tolerate all the influences of the material laws: the rainy season, the onslaught of the wind, and the scorching heat of the sunshine
- Visnu said: During that time, your (Prsni's) mind was always absorbed in Me. When you were executing devotional service and always thinking of Me within your heart, I was very much pleased with you. O sinless mother, your heart is therefore always pure
- Visnu said: I assure you (Vasudeva and Devaki) that this time you shall go back home, back to Godhead, on account of your perfection in your mission
- Visnu said: I could have appeared just like an ordinary child, but in that way you would not have believed that the Supreme Personality of Godhead had taken birth in your womb
- Visnu said: I gave you the benediction that I would take birth as your son three times. First, I was known as Prsnigarbha, born of Prsni & Sutapa, next birth I was Upendra, born of Aditi & Kasyapa, and now I am born as Krsna from you, Devaki & Vasudeva
- Visnu said: I have appeared in this Visnu form just to convince you that I am the same Supreme Personality of Godhead again taken birth
- Visnu said: I know you are very concerned about Me and afraid of Kamsa. Therefore I order you to take Me immediately to Gokula and exchange Me for the daughter who has just been born to Yasoda
- Visnu said: In due course of time Prsni became pregnant and gave birth to the child. The Lord spoke to Devaki and Vasudeva: At that time My name was Prsnigarbha
- Visnu said: In the next millennium you took birth as Aditi and Kasyapa, and I became your child of the name Upendra
- Visnu said: My dear father and mother (Vasudeva and Devaki), you have therefore raised Me many times as your child, with great affection and love, and I am therefore very much pleased and obliged to you
- Visnu said: With a steady mind and controlled sex drive, you worshiped Me, desiring some wonderful benediction from Me. Both of you (Prsni and Sutapa) practiced severe austerities for twelve thousand years by the calculation of the demigods
- Visnu said: You also executed all religious principles. In this way you were able to cleanse your heart and control the influences of the material laws. In executing your austerity, you used to eat only the leaves of the trees which fell to the ground
- We hear from the Vedic version that the Supreme Brahman exhibits His effulgence and therefore everything becomes illuminated
- When the time was mature for the appearance of the Lord, the constellations became very auspicious. The astrological influence of the star known as Rohini was predominant
- When Vasudeva was carrying Krsna, the darkness of the night disappeared. All the prison doors automatically opened. At the same time there was thunder in the sky and severe rainfall
- When Vasudeva was convinced that the newborn child was the Supreme Personality of Godhead Himself, he bowed down with folded hands and began to offer Him prayers
- When Vasudeva, who is also called Anakadundubhi, was looking at his newborn baby, he was so happy that he wanted to give many thousands of cows in charity to the brahmanas
- While thus praying to the Lord for rescue, mother Devaki nonetheless expressed her motherly affection
- While Vasudeva was carrying his son Krsna in the falling rain, Lord Sesa in the shape of a serpent spread His hood over the head of Vasudeva so that he would not be hampered by the rainfall