Collaborate with us to invoke and fully manifest Srila Prabhupada's Vani-presence.
songs | songbook | song
This category has the following 3 subcategories, out of 3 total.
Pages in category "Songs"
The following 131 pages are in this category, out of 131 total.
- A sannyasi is forbidden to hear songs sung by the fair sex. Yet even in the rigid position of a sannyasi He (Caitanya) recommended the mode of worship preferred by the gopis of Vrndavana as the topmost loving service possible to be rendered to the Lord
- According to the Gaura-ganoddesa-dipika the three brothers, Govinda, Madhava and Vasudeva Ghosa were formerly Kalavati, Rasollasa and Gunatunga, who recited the songs composed by Sri Visakha-gopi
- All (beautiful men and women) were singing auspicious songs. The wife of the brahmana (Sudama) was very glad on hearing the tidings of her husband’s arrival, and with great haste she came out of the palace
- All the gopis in Vrndavana saw beautiful Krsna entering the village. The boys composed nice songs describing how they were saved from being swallowed by the great serpent (Aghasura) and how the serpent was killed
- Along with this chanting of mantras and songs, bugles and kettledrums are sounded outside the house. On this occasion (the ceremony for Krsna's birth), the joyous vibrations could be heard in all the pasturing grounds and all the houses
- As Vasudeva Datta sang a different song beneath each and every tree, Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu danced there alone in great ecstasy
- Because he (Narada) had the opportunity to hear these pastimes and songs of Krsna from the mouths of pure devotees, he became very attracted within his heart
- Being very pleased, the celestial dancing girls (Apsaras) danced in jubilation, the best of the Gandharvas sang songs, and the great sages, demigods, Manus, Pitas and fire - gods offered prayers to satisfy the Lord
- Bhuliya Tomare, CDV 17 - We have heard so much about surrender. So here are some of the songs how one can make surrender
- Caitanya next asked Ramananda Raya, "Among many songs, which song is to be considered the actual religion of the living entity?" Ramananda Raya replied, "That song describing the loving affairs of Sri Radha and Krsna is superior to all other songs"
- Customarily, anyone who composed a song, verse, literary composition or poem about Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu first had to bring it to Svarupa Damodara Gosvami to be heard
- Gandharvas and their wives, whose voices were very sweet, began to sing many auspicious songs. Vasudeva anointed his eyes with black cosmetic, smeared butter over his body
- Gopis said, "My dear friends, just see the clever activities of Sri Krsna! He has composed nice songs about the cowherd boys and is pleasing the cows"
- Great sages and ascetics, the denizens of the Siddha and Gandharva planets, the denizens known as Vidyadharas, Vasuki and the Mahanagas and the beautiful angels, all showered flowers upon Him (Krsna) and sang songs of His victory in great jubilation
- He (Yudhisthira) ordered the musical vibration of different instruments and songs, and the learned brahmanas of the city began to chant the hymns of the Vedas very loudly
- He also passed His time reading the books and singing the songs of Candidasa and Vidyapati, and listening to quotations from the Jagannatha-vallabha-nataka, Krsna-karnamrta and Gita-govinda
- His (Krsna's) fingernails are many full moons, and they dance on the flute in His hands. Their song is the melody of that flute. His toenails are also many full moons, and they dance on the ground. Their song is the jingling of His ankle bells
- His (Krsna's) song is so sweet that even one particle of its sound can inundate the entire world. If such a particle enters one's ear, one is immediately bereft of all other types of hearing
- His (Narada Muni's) first offense was that he went to join the sankirtana party in the company of lusty women, and another offense was that he considered ordinary songs, like cinema songs and other such songs, to be equal to sankirtana
- His eyes and mind fully absorbed in Lord Jagannatha, Caitanya Mahaprabhu began to play the drama of the song with His two arms
- I am in due receipt of your letter dated August 6, 1975 with the enclosed versification of the chanting of the song sung by Lord Siva. It is all right
- I am pleased to hear that the song books and tapes of Lalita Prasad Thakura are in New York for being edited and distributed
- I have no objection for Mirabai's songs, but I think Hare Krishna is the greatest common factor understandable by all people all over the world. The chanting is transcendental and quickly effective
- If any Vaisnava is writing song about Krishna, he should have realized himself what is Krishna, just like our great saints and acaryas like Madhvacarya, Ramanujacarya, Rupa Goswami, six Gosvamis, Bilvamangala, Bhaktivinode Thakura, like that
- If someone wrote a book or composed verses and songs and wanted to recite them before Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, Svarupa Damodara would first examine them and then correctly present them. Only then would Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu agree to listen
- If these songs are heard by any person, he can easily get out of the clutches of material contamination
- In our Krsna consciousness movement we do not allow any song that has not been approved or sung by bona fide devotees. We cannot allow cinema songs to be sung in the temple
- In our temple, strictly Hare Krishna chanting should be given more importance. This is no harm in this mantra you have heard, but it is not very important. There are many such common songs composed by common devotees out of sentiment
- In our Vaisnava literature there are hundreds and thousands of nice purportful songs, and if those songs, under George's supervision, are recorded, I think it will bring a great revolution in the record making business
- In the family of Purusottama Cakravarti there are famous persons like Kunjavihari Cakravarti and Radhavallabha Cakravarti, who now live in the district of Birbhum. They professionally recite songs from Caitanya-mangala
- In the third season of the year, the Lord enjoyed as the central beauty of the assembly of women by attracting them with His pleasing songs in an autumn night brightened by moonshine
- In your song book, poet Jayadeva's high madhurya rasa songs may be avoided because they are meant for highly advanced devotees
- Indian classical songs are appreciated here and in foreign countries also. This program of presenting the Bhagavatam in classical song is a good idea
- It is calculated that he (Vidyapati) composed his songs during the reign of King Sivasimha and Queen Lachimadevi, in the beginning of the fourteenth century of the Saka Era, almost one hundred years before the appearance of Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu
- It is the practice of Vaisnavas while taking prasadam to chant the holy name of Lord Hari at intervals and also sing various songs, such as sarira avidya-jala
- Jarasandha returned to his kingdom, and Mathura City was saved from the danger of imminent attack. The citizens of Mathura organized the combined services of professional singers like sutas and magadhas, along with poets who could compose nice songs
- Junior Haridasa went to the confluence of the Ganges and Yamuna and committed suicide. In his spiritual body, however, he continued to sing devotional songs, and Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu heard them
- Lord Caitanya and Nityananda are singing one very nice song in which they are requesting everyone to please chant Hare Krishna, and come along with Them. So that is our request to everyone
- Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu used to sing this song (seita parana-natha) especially during the latter part of the day, and He would think, "Let Me take Krsna and go back to Vrndavana." This ecstasy was always filling His heart
- Lord Caitanya never even heard the prayers of the deva-dasis offered in the temple of Jagannatha because a sannyasi is forbidden to hear songs sung by the fair sex
- Loving service unto the Personality of Godhead, who is praised with transcendental songs, is established as an irrevocable fact
- May Gopinathaji, who attracts all the gopis with the song of His flute and who has begun the most melodious rasa dace on the bank of the Yamuna in Vamsivata, be merciful upon us
- Mundane reviewers of these songs (the songs of Candidasa, Vidyapati and Jayadeva) simply help people in general become debauchees, and this leads only to social scandals and atheism in the world
- Narada tells there of his previous life and how he developed to the stage of ecstatic love. He was engaged in the service of great devotees and used to hear their talks and songs
- No one should write songs of Krishna unless he is self-realized soul
- No one should write songs of Krishna unless he is self-realized soul, that will spoil the value of the whole thing. But try to use your writing and singing talent for Krishna's preaching work, by writing articles, singing the kirtana, like that
- Now you just apply yourself for becoming qualified to see Krishna face-to-face, then you will be able to actually write songs about Krishna
- O moon, you appear to be suffering from a severe fever, perhaps tuberculosis. Indeed, your effulgence does not have the strength to destroy the darkness. Have you become mad after hearing the songs of Krsna? Is that why you are silent?
- One gopi told mother Yasoda, "My dear mother, your son is very expert among the cowherd boys. He knows all the different arts of how to tend the cows & how to play the flute. He composes His own songs, & to play them He puts His flute to His mouth"
- One must first become a pure devotee of Lord Krsna. Only then can one enjoy hearing the songs of Jayadeva and relish transcendental bliss
- Only attention engaged in the service of the Lord, especially in dressing and decorating the temple, accompanied by musical kirtana and spiritual instructions from scriptures, can save the common man from the hellish cinema attractions and sex-songs
- Radha said, "Of what use are the eyes of one who does not see Krsna's face, which resembles the moon, is the birthplace of all beauty & the reservoir of the nectarean songs of His flute? Oh, let a thunderbolt strike his head! Why does he keep such eyes"
- Ramananda Raya directed the two girls how to dance and express the deep meaning of his songs through dramatic performances
- Regarding authorized songs, you may inform George that authorized songs means the songs which were sung or composed by self-realized Acaryas
- Regarding the Raghu Pati Raghava song, we are not concerned with this song because it had a political motive; it is not pure devotional service
- Regarding your request to sing prayers in English, this is nice suggestion, and you may do it. So far as the songs that you have written, you may send me a copy of them and I shall see them
- Saying this, Ramananda Raya began to sing a song he had composed, but Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, out of the ecstasy of love of Godhead, immediately covered Ramananda's mouth with His own hand
- She (a female singer in the Jagannatha temple) sang a gujjari tune in a very sweet voice, and because the subject was Jayadeva Gosvami's Gita-govinda, the song attracted the attention of the entire world
- So you know this song Jaya Radha-Madhava?
- Some singers were reciting great verses from the Upanisads and Puranas, some were glorifying the family ancestors, and some were singing very sweet songs
- Spiritual instructions from scriptures can save the common man from the hellish cinema attractions and rubbish sex-songs broadcast everywhere by radios
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu used to lament by saying, "Where is Sri Krsna, whose form is curved in three places? Where is the sweet song of His flute, and where is the bank of the Yamuna?"
- Sri Svarupa Damodara used to read the poems of Vidyapati and Candidasa and Jayadeva Gosvami's Sri Gita-govinda. He used to make Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu very happy by singing these songs
- Sri-Sri-Gurv-astakam, 1969 - This song is offering obeisances particularly to the spiritual master, and the symptoms of the spiritual master are described in this prayer
- Srila Narottama dasa Thakura has sung in a celebrated song, visaya chadiya kabe suddha habe mana: "When my mind will be purified after leaving the contamination of material sense enjoyment, I shall be able to visit Vrndavana"
- Srila Ramananda Raya has taken these two girls to a solitary place in his garden, where he is teaching and directing them to dance according to the songs he has composed for his drama
- Taking advantage of the pleasing atmosphere, Krsna and Balarama began to sing very melodiously. The damsels became so absorbed in Their rhythmical song that they almost forgot themselves
- Thakura Visvanatha Cakravarti, another very learned acarya of the same sampradaya, has approved the songs by Thakura Narottama dasa to be as good as Vedic mantras
- Thank you very much for your nice translation of Markine Bhagavata-dharma. It is well appreciated. I think it can be included in the front of the new printing of the song book, and it can be sung in kirtana like the other songs of Bhaktivinode Thakura
- That songs writing we cannot regard very seriously. That will spoil the whole thing. But you can utilize your propensity to write poems and articles for BTG, for singing in the kirtana, like that
- The Apsaras pleased everyone (on the birth ceremony of Arjuna) by their heavenly dances and songs
- The bhakti-yoga system is that if you stick to the hearing of Hare Krsna and the music, melodious music of karatala, then naturally you become detestful for hearing other songs
- The city (of Indra) always resounded with the vibrations of peacocks, pigeons and bees, and above the city flew airplanes full of beautiful women who constantly chanted auspicious songs that were very pleasing to the ear
- The denizens of the upper planets showered flowers, beat drums, played different types of flutes and sang various prayers and songs. In this way, all the denizens of heaven, such as the Gandharvas, Siddhas and demigods, became very much pleased
- The devotee said, "Even great sages who are accustomed to live in solitary places are also attracted by the songs of Your glory"
- The enchanting vibration of His (Krsna's) songs became a great impediment to the young girls, who were supposed to remain chaste and faithful to their husbands
- The face of the Lord is the embodiment of beauty. What they call beautiful nature is but His smile, and what they call the sweet songs of the birds are but specimens of the whispering voice of the Lord
- The gopis said, "If You (Krsna) accuse us, however, of encouraging prostitution, then we can only ask, Where is that woman within these three worlds who is not captivated by Your beauty and the rhythmic songs vibrated by Your transcendental flute?"
- The gopis' songs were like thunder, their beauty appeared to be just like lightning in the sky, and the drops of perspiration visible on their faces appeared like falling snow. In this way, the gopis and Krsna fully engaged in dancing
- The inhabitants of Pitrloka, the Yaksas, the Kinnaras and the Caranas, all showered flowers upon Him (Krsna) and sang songs of His victory in great jubilation
- The Lord (Caitanya) used to read the books of Vidyapati, Jayadeva and Candidasa, relishing their songs with His confidential associates like Sri Ramananda Raya and Svarupa Damodara Gosvami
- The purport of this song (from Gitavali by Bhaktivinoda Thakura) is that Narada Muni, the great soul, plays a stringed instrument called a vina, vibrating the sound radhika-ramana, which is another name for Krsna
- The Sama Veda is rich with beautiful songs played by the various demigods. One of these songs is the Brhat-sama, which has an exquisite melody and is sung at midnight
- The songs of Candidasa, Vidyapati and Jayadeva describe the transcendental activities of the Supreme Personality of Godhead
- The songs which I have recorded there I have heard today on the record, and they are very nice, especially the Prayers to the Six Goswamis. It has come out very successful on the whole. I hope the German people will like the Bengali tunes
- The special beauty of Krsna's body was His mild smiling, His restless eyes and His world enchanting songs
- The special beauty of Krsna's body was His mild smiling, His restless eyes and His world enchanting songs. These are the special features of this age (thirteen years)
- The tinkling of Krsna’s ankle bells surpasses the songs of even the swan and crane, and the sound of His bangles puts the singing of the cataka bird to shame
- The younger generation is very pleased to see a beautiful form, to hear radio messages of material news & sense gratificatory songs, to smell nice scents, nice flowers & to touch the soft body or breasts of a young woman & gradually touch the sex organs
- There are many songs about the Lord's activities. For example, there is the Brahma-samhita, sung by Lord Brahma, Narada-pancaratra, sung by Narada Muni, and Srimad-Bhagavatam, sung by Sukadeva Gosvami
- There is no need for any other devotional songs or chants for Lord Caitanya's Advent Day; simply chant Hare Krishna, with Kirtana or beads, & sing the prayer "Sri Krishna Caitanya, Prabhu Nityananda, Sri Advaita, Gadadhara, SriVasadi, Gaura Bhaktavrinda"
- There should be no difficulty in hearing these songs of God. They are coming down from many, many millions of years ago, and people are still taking advantage of them. So why, at this time, should one not take full advantage and thus become liberated
- They (Krsna and Balarama) learned how to dance to the rhythm of melody and different songs. They learned how to write dramas, and They learned the various types of painting, from simple village arts up to the highest perfectional stage
- They (Krsna and Balarama) were given palatable dishes by Their mothers (Yasoda and Rohini), and They pleasantly ate everything. After eating, They were seated nicely on clean bedding, and the mothers began to sing various songs of Their activities
- They are self-realized souls, therefore if they write something song about Krishna that will be perfectly from the transcendental platform, without any tinge of mundane influence or nonsense imagination
- They have nothing to do there except to render transcendental loving service to the Supreme Lord Narayana, who is the predominating Deity of such Vaikuntha planets. Those liberated souls are engaged incessantly in singing songs mentioned in the Sama Veda
- This Narada Muni song is in your country tune & I think it will attract many more men to join the Kirtana so you should practice this standard Kirtana more conveniently so that during your Rathayatra festival you can have this singing with the procession
- Those songs are for siddha bhaktas, not for us who are sadha bhaktas or learning bhaktas. Lord Caitanya never divulged in public, he enjoyed them in the company of his selected three or four devotees
- Thus Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu's ecstatic love was awakened by hearing the songs of Vrndavana. In this way He inundated Purusottama, Jagannatha Puri, with love of Godhead
- Two people - Ramananda Raya and Svarupa Damodara Gosvami - stayed with the Lord to pacify Him by reciting various verses about Krsna’s pastimes and by singing appropriate songs for His satisfaction
- Uddhava composed songs in praise of their transcendental qualities as follows, "Among all the living entities who have accepted the human form of life, the gopis are superexcellently successful in their mission"
- Uddhava Gita: 17 - The Song of the Avanti Brahmana
- Unless he comes in the category of these big Vaisnava personalities, his manufacturing some songs will be misleading to himself and to others
- Unless his writing of songs can be accepted as gospel, like Vedas, then such writing is simply disturbance and is diverting the attention from the subject matter only
- Vidyapati was a famous composer of songs about the pastimes of Radha-Krsna. He was an inhabitant of Mithila, born in a brahmana family
- Vidyapati's songs about the pastimes of Lord Krsna express intense feelings of separation from Krsna, and Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu relished all those songs in His ecstasy of separation from Krsna
- We cannot follow an upstart, manufacturing some song, manufacturing some ideas. We cannot follow that. What is authorized song, we shall sing. What is authorized method, we shall follow
- We cannot follow asadhu-marga. We must follow sadhu-marga. Mahajano yena gatah sa panthah. We cannot follow an upstart, manufacturing some song, manufacturing some ideas. We cannot follow that
- We may also sing the songs of Narottama dasa Thakura, Bhaktivinoda Thakura and Locana dasa Thakura, but these two songs - "sri-krsna-caitanya" and the Hare Krsna maha-mantra - are sufficient to please the Supreme Personality of Godhead
- We shall not produce something artificial by writing and playing our own songs as we like
- When Caitanya was dramatically enacting the song, He would sometimes fall behind in the procession. At such times, Lord Jagannatha would come to a standstill. When Caitanya Mahaprabhu again went forward, Lord Jagannatha's car would slowly start again
- When the Lord acutely felt pangs of separation from Krsna, only Sri Ramananda Raya' talks about Krsna and the sweet songs of Svarupa Damodara kept Him alive
- When the Lord was engaged in His pastimes of the rasa dance in the forest of Vrndavana, enlivening the sexual desires of the wives of the inhabitants of Vrndavana by sweet and melodious songs, a demon of the name Sankhacuda, kidnapped the damsels
- Whenever a particular sentiment arose in His heart, Svarupa Damodara satisfied Him by singing songs or reciting verses of the same nature
- You can add to the Songbook the poem I wrote before arriving at the Boston Port when I first came to America
- You can call sermon, because there is prayer song and there is, I mean to say, recitation from scriptures
- You should just go on chanting Hare Krishna Mahamantra and the Pancatattva mantra and don't divert your attention. You cannot understand the meaning of the Indian songs and simply parrot like chanting of these songs has no value