Collaborate with us to invoke and fully manifest Srila Prabhupada's Vani-presence.
smell | smelled | smelling | smells
This category has the following 7 subcategories, out of 7 total.
Pages in category "Smell"
The following 107 pages are in this category, out of 107 total.
- A materialist might see Sanatana Gosvami's body as being full of itching sores that exuded foul moisture and a bad smell. Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, however, said...
- A portion of the airy atmosphere is turned into forms, and the forms constitute the power of electricity or heat. Heat produces the smell of the aroma of the earth, and the gross earth is produced by such aroma
- A similar statement is in the Agastya-samhita: Just to purify the impurities of our nostrils, we should try to smell the remnants of flowers offered to Krsna in the temple
- After the burning of Putana, Nanda Maharaja came home and immediately took up the child on his lap and began to smell His head. In this way, he was quite satisfied that his little child was saved from this great calamity
- All these combined together (mahat-tattva, false ego, the vibration of sound, atmospheric air, forms, the power of electricity or heat, the smell of the aroma of the earth and the gross earth) constitute the cosmic phenomenon
- Although these four (Catuhsana) saintly persons were always absorbed in the thought of impersonal Brahman, from association with the Lord and from smelling the tulasi leaves, the hairs on their bodies immediately stood up
- And even if one has no sinful activities, still, by smelling such remnants of flowers, one can advance from mayavadi (impersonalist) to devotee
- As long as the living entity is conditioned by the three modes of material nature (goodness, passion & ignorance), the objects of his material senses - material form, taste, smell, sound & touch - will not help him understand spiritual knowledge & bliss
- As stated in Bhagavad-Gita, we can remember Krishna when drinking water, when seeing the sunshine and moonshine, when smelling a flower, when hearing the transcendental sound vibration, when chanting Vedic mantras
- Bad odors are perceived in filthy places, good smells are perceived from camphor, menthol and similar other products, pungent smells are perceived from garlic and onions, and acidic smells are perceived from turmeric and similar sour substances
- Better than the trees are the fish because fish have developed the sense of taste. Better than the fish are the bees, who have developed the sense of smell, and better than them are the serpents because serpents have developed the sense of hearing
- Better than them (living entities who have developed the sense of taste) are those who have developed the sense of smell, and better still are those who have developed the sense of hearing
- Bhumi, earth, includes all the objects of sense perception - rupa (form), rasa (taste), gandha (smell), sabda (sound) and sparsa (touch). Within the earth are the fragrance of roses, the taste of sweet fruit, and whatever else we want
- Do you think this flower which is coming out daily in your garden in different colors and different smell and flavor, they are being done without any artistic sense? This is nonsense. There is sense. There is God's potency
- Drinking caranamrtam (water from the bathing of the Deities which is offered to guests). 20) One must smell the incense and flowers offered to the Deity. 21) One must touch the lotus feet of the Deity
- Early in the morning, a mild breeze would carry the aroma of the parijata flower, and Krsna would smell it just after rising from bed
- Extensively ignorant, they (lower animals) can know their desirables only by smell, and by such intelligence only can they understand what is favorable and unfavorable. Their knowledge is concerned only with eating and sleeping
- God is person and He speaks. If He speaks, then He hears, He smells, He eats - everything. All the activities are there. If He cannot hear, then our prayer to Him, "O God, give us our daily bread," is useless
- Gross matter also developed from subtle to gross: sound developed into sky, touch developed into air, form developed into fire, taste developed into water, and smell developed into earth
- Heat produces the smell of the aroma of the earth, and the gross earth is produced by such aroma. And all these combined together constitute the cosmic phenomenon
- How the sons of Pandu, the Pandavas, enjoy Krsna's association is described as follows, "When Sri Krsna arrived in Indraprastha, the capital of the Kurus, Maharaj Yudhisthira immediately came out to smell the flavor of Krsna's head"
- How the soul is being transferred. These things are all explained in the Bhagavad-gita. Just like we cannot see the flavor, but when the flavor passes through carried by the air, we can smell. Similarly, we can smell how the soul is being transferred
- If a child or disciple falls at the feet of the father or spiritual master, the superior responds by smelling the head of the subordinate
- If the hog is offered some nice preparation made of condensed milk or ghee, he won't like it; he would prefer obnoxious, bad-smelling stool, which he finds very relishable
- If you smell the flower offered to the Deity, then your desire for smelling so many scented things will be finished
- In enjoying Krsna's attitude of stealing butter very stealthily, Mother Yasoda experienced the ecstasy of maternal love by smelling His head, sometimes patting His body with her hand
- In this connection there is the following statement: "How can a person take pleasure in the enjoyment of sex life in this body, which is a bag of skin and bones, filled with blood, covered by skin and flesh and which produces mucus and evil smells?"
- In youth a person becomes very lusty to enjoy all kinds of sense objects. The sense objects are form, taste, smell, touch and sound. The modern scientific method, or advancement of scientific civilization, encourages the enjoyment of these five senses
- It is stated in the Tantra-sastra, "If the smell of the garland which was offered to the Deity in the temple enters into the nostril of a person, immediately his bondage to sinful activities becomes cleared"
- It is the Vedic custom that superiors smell the heads of their subordinates when the subordinates offer respect to the superior by touching his feet
- Like a honeybee, the Apsara (Purvacitti) smelled the beautiful and attractive flowers
- Lord Balarama prepared Himself to meet the demon Balvala. At the time when the demon usually attacked the sacred place, there appeared a great hailstorm, the whole sky became covered with dust, and the atmosphere became surcharged with a filthy smell
- No one in the princely order could defeat the seven bulls, and therefore no one could claim the hand of Satya. The seven bulls were very strong, and they could hardly bear even the smell of any prince
- Nor is there any difference between the action of one part of His body & that of another. His hands can act as His legs, His eyes can act as His ears, or His nose can act as another part of His body. Krsna's smelling & eating & hearing are all the same
- Once some of the gopis went to the place where the brahmanas were performing sacrifices and said, "My dear wives of the brahmanas, you must know that not even a slight smell of distress can touch Krsna"
- One of the cowherd boys said, "The hot wind that is blowing like a hurricane is his breathing, and the fishy bad smell coming out from his (the snake's) mouth is the smell of his intestines"
- Out of her affection for Krsna, she began to smell His head repeatedly
- Panca-vrtti is the desire to satisfy the senses, attracted by five sense objects - namely form, taste, sound, smell and touch
- Persons who smell the aroma of Your lotus feet, carried by the air of Vedic sound through the holes of the ears, accept Your devotional service. For them You are never separated from the lotus of their hearts
- Radharani became so afflicted that the hue of Her body changed, & She immediately fell down upon the ground of Vrndavana. She had practically stopped breathing, but when She smelled the flavor of the flowers on the ground, She awoke in ecstasy and got up
- Radharani continued, "One's nostrils are no better than the bellows of a blacksmith if one has not smelled the fragrance of Krsna's body, which is like the aroma of musk combined with that of the bluish lotus flower"
- Seeing Krsna gave them so much pleasure that it appeared as if they were not only drinking the nectar of seeing His face but were also smelling the aroma and licking up the taste of His body and were embracing Him and Balarama with their arms
- Sense object, what is that sense object? Just like I want to see some beautiful woman or beautiful man. I want to smell some nice flower or scent. The flower is the sense object, woman is the sense object. There are so many sense objects
- She (Kubja) took Krsna's lotus feet and placed them on her breasts, which were burning with the blazing fire of lust. By smelling the fragrance of Krsna's lotus feet, she was immediately relieved of all lusty desires
- Simply by seeing the Lord and smelling the aroma of tulasi and saffron from His lotus feet, the Kumaras became devotees and abandoned their long-cherished impersonalism
- So do you think this flower which is coming out daily in your garden in different colors and different smell and flavor, they are being done without any artistic sense? This is nonsense. There is sense. There is God's potency
- Some devotees, as is evidenced from revealed scriptures, have had immediate results by such association, although this is not possible for all. For example, the Kumaras immediately became devotees simply by smelling the incense in the temple
- Sound, touch, form, taste and smell are the objects of the five knowledge-acquiring senses. Speech, touch, movement, evacuation and sexual intercourse are the objects of the working senses
- Sridama, Subala & Stoka Krsna said, "Dear Balarama, if You like, let us all go there and enjoy these fruits. The aroma of the fruits is now spread everywhere. Don’t You smell it from here?"
- Sukadeva Gosvami said, "He (Ambarisa) engaged his nostrils in smelling the flowers and tulasi which were offered to Krsna, and he engaged his tongue in tasting Krsna-prasadam"
- Sukadeva Gosvami said, "They began to embrace their sons and smell their heads. While doing this, they became almost mad after their children"
- Sukadeva Gosvami say, "My dear King, when magnanimous Nanda Maharaj returned from a tour, he began to smell the head of his son, and he was merged in the ecstasy of parental love"
- Sweet-smelling breezes blew always, refreshing the mind and body. Krsna, with His friends and Balarama, entered the forest and, seeing the favorable situation, desired to enjoy the atmosphere to the fullest extent
- The companion spoken of as Avadhuta is the sense of smell. The door called Mukhya is the mouth, and Vipana is the faculty of speech. Rasajna is the sense of taste
- The devotee thus surpasses the subtle objects of different senses like aroma by smelling, the palate by tasting, vision by seeing forms, touch by contacting, the vibrations of the ear by ethereal identification, and the sense organs by material activities
- The eighth creation is that of the lower species of life, and they are of different varieties, numbering twenty-eight. They are all extensively foolish and ignorant. They know their desirables by smell, but are unable to remember anything within the heart
- The hog is interested in eating stool. If the hog is offered some nice preparation made of condensed milk or ghee, he won't like it; he would prefer obnoxious, bad-smelling stool, which he finds very relishable
- The ingredients of matter are counted as twenty-three: the total material energy, false ego, sound, touch, form, taste, smell, earth, water, fire, air, sky, eye, ear, nose, tongue, skin, hand, leg, evacuating organ, genitals, speech and mind
- The Lord is connected with this material creation very superficially, as one smells odor without being connected with the odorous article
- The nasal instrument, odor, and the controlling deity air, smelling, etc., all became manifested simultaneously when the Lord desired to smell. The Vedic mantras confirm this statement in the Upanisads
- The nature of the mind is flickering. Sometimes it accepts something, & immediately it rejects the same thing. Accepting & rejecting is the process of the mind in contact with the five objects of sense gratification - form, taste, smell, sound and touch
- The nose can be utilized in smelling the flowers offered to the Deity, and the hearing can be utilized by listening to the vibration of the Hare Krsna mantra. In this way the senses can be regulated and utilized to advance Krsna consciousness
- The primordial matter, or prakrti, material nature, consisting of three modes, generates four groups of five. The second group of five is called tan-matra, referring to the subtle elements (sense objects): sound, touch, form, taste and smell
- The sense of smell is attracted to yet another side, the restless eyes are attracted to scenes of sense gratification, and the active senses are attracted elsewhere. In this way I (Prahlada Maharaja) am certainly embarrassed
- The senses are plunderers because they make one spend his money unnecessarily for seeing, smelling, tasting, touching, hearing, desiring and willing
- The senses interact with the sense objects, like the ear for hearing, eyes for seeing, nose for smelling, tongue for tasting, hand for touching, and all of them are thus engaged in activities outside the self
- The smell is creation of God, or Krsna, punyo gandhah prthivyam ca. Therefore the smell should be used for Krsna's pleasure. This is bhakti, not for my pleasure. This is called tyaga. Tyaga means that actually it should be used for Krsna
- The yogi or devotee, along with liquidation of the gross elements, relinquishes the subtle causes like aroma by smelling. The pure spiritual spark, the living entity, thus becomes completely cleansed of all material contamination
- The younger generation is very pleased to see a beautiful form, to hear radio messages of material news & sense gratificatory songs, to smell nice scents, nice flowers & to touch the soft body or breasts of a young woman & gradually touch the sex organs
- There are five gross elements, namely earth, water, fire, air and ether. There are also five subtle elements: smell, taste, color, touch and sound
- There is a similar statement by a person fallen in the hellish condition of life. He addressed the Supreme Lord thus: "My dear Lord, Yamaraja has placed me in a situation which is full of filthy and obnoxious smells"
- There is an herb found in the jungles which expert persons know how to use to revive the consciousness of one who is bitten by a snake. Simply by smelling that herb one becomes immediately relieved of the poisonous effects of the snakebite
- There is the following statement by a gopi, "My dear Krsna, the first thing You should do is just embrace me with Your strong arms. Then, my dear friend, I shall first smell Your head, and then I shall enjoy with You"
- They (Four kumaras) were impersonalist mayavadis, but after smelling the remnants of flowers and incense in the temple, they turned to become devotees
- They (Kings and Princes) looked upon Him to their hearts' content, as if drinking nectar through their eyes, licking His body with their tongues, smelling the aroma of His body with their noses, and embracing Him with their arms
- They (the cowherd men) began to show paternal love for the children, and with great affection they lifted them in their arms and embraced them. They began to smell their children’s heads and enjoy their company with great happiness
- They are animals. What the dogs will understand? When there is one lady dog, one dozen dog will come. Smelling the best part of the body. This is their philosophy. So Freud is that: best part of the body, he's writing philosophy
- This is an instance of transcendental alertness caused by smelling
- Those who are situated on the platform of santa-rasa get their impetus for advancement in devotional service by smelling the tulasi offered at the lotus feet of the Lord, by hearing the sound of His conchshell, seeing a sanctified place in some mountain
- Through the nose we can smell, by the eyes we can see, by the ears we can hear, and in this way we gather knowledge. Similarly, there are the karmendriyas, the working senses - the hands, legs, genitals, rectum, mouth and so forth
- To smell the fragrance of a blossoming flower is certainly very nice, but it is simply for sense gratification
- Transcendental alertness is possible when the illusory condition is completely overcome. At that stage, when in contact with any reaction of material elements, such as sound, touch or taste, the devotee realizes the transcendental presence of the SPG
- Trees have developed sense perception, they can see and smell
- We can touch only with our hands or skin, but Krsna can touch just by glancing. We can see only with our eyes; we cannot touch or smell with them. Krsna, however, can smell and also eat with His eyes
- We shall use our hand in cleansing the temple, in playing the instruments, karatala, for chanting. So, ear for hearing Krsna's pastimes, nose for smelling the flower offered to Krsna
- When a devotee comes to offer something to the Deity in the morning, he is sure to smell the good flavor of the incense, and then at once he will become cleansed of the poisonous effect of material existence
- When a person comes to visit the temple and smells the incense offered to the Deity, he is cured at that time from all his material contamination
- When all the inhabitants of Vrndavana smelled the good aroma from the smoke of the burning Putana, they inquired from each other, “Where is this good fragrance coming from?” While conversing, they understood that it was the fumes of the burning Putana
- When the devotees smell the good flavor of the incense which is offered to the Deity, they thus become cured of the poisonous effects of material contamination, as much as one becomes cured of a snakebite by smelling the prescribed medicinal herbs
- When the Lord's two nostrils separately manifested themselves, the dual Asvini-kumaras entered them in their proper positions, and because of this the living entities can smell the aromas of everything
- When the supreme purusa desired to smell odors, the nostrils and respiration were generated, the nasal instrument and odors came into existence, and the controlling deity of air, carrying smell, also became manifested
- While Krsna was blessing the son's head by smelling it, the others would shed tears, thinking how many pious activities he must have performed in his previous life
- Yasoda saw in Krsna's mouth the total ego and its products, namely the senses, the controllers of the senses, all the demigods and the objects of the senses like sound and smell. Within His mouth she also saw the three qualities of material nature
- Yasoda thought, "I am now unable to smell the head of my child (Krsna) and feed Him with my breast milk as I used to do when He was here in Vrndavana"
- You see nowadays this man, he's eating anything, the hog's intestine... Hog is eating stool, and the intestine is filled up with the stool, and they have to clear it out. When it is boiled there is a so bad smell. And that is very palatable