Collaborate with us to invoke and fully manifest Srila Prabhupada's Vani-presence.
sin | sins | sinning
This category has the following 6 subcategories, out of 6 total.
Pages in category "Sin"
The following 135 pages are in this category, out of 135 total.
- Greatest sin
- If a ksatriya engaged in his own occupation kills an enemy, there is no sin incurred
- If you take Krsna prasadam, then if there is any sin, it goes to Krsna; you take pure prasadam
- Incur sins
- Reactions of sins
- Sin and virtue
- Unless one is free from the sin of animal-killing, he cannot understand religion or God
- We hate sin not the sinner
- A God-conscious person means he has no sin. He cannot be within the jurisdiction of sinful activities. That is God consciousness. You cannot become God conscious at the same time sinful. That is not possible
- A murderer is to be killed. Then his sins out of this murdering will be counteracted. If he lives, then he has to suffer so many tribulations. Better let him be killed. Then everything's finished. Life for life
- A person may be relieved from sins once, but it is a practice among Christians to confess sins and yet commit them again. By getting freed from sins and again engaging in them, one cannot attain freedom from the pangs of material existence
- A pure devotee is cleared from all kinds of sins. The Personality of Godhead is the purest entity, and unless one is equally pure from the infection of material qualities, one cannot become a pure devotee of the Lord
- A relative should not be killed even if his wrongdoing warrants capital punishment. Rather, he should be thrown out of the family. Since he has already been killed by his own sin, why kill him again?
- A sinful man is very expert to commit sinful activities, but the holy name of Krsna is so strong that he will be unable to commit so much sins as can be extinguished simply by uttering once the name of Lord Visnu or Krsna
- Accidental sins committed by a devotee are sincerely regretted, and by the grace of the Lord all sins unwillingly committed by a devotee are burnt in the fire of repentance
- After the elimination of all sins or obstacles on the path of devotional service, one can become attracted, one can have steadiness, one can have perfect taste, one can have transcendental emotions, and one can be situated in loving service of the Lord
- Agha means
- Ahimsa. "Don't kill." That is the greatest sin. So Lord Buddha is propagating that "Let these people be saved from the greatest sinful activities"
- All indebtedness has to be liquidated. If you are unable to liquidate, then you will be a sinner. But you can save yourself from the reaction of all sins if you surrender unto the Supreme Lord
- And one who touches the body of the Deity, following such regulative principles, is immediately delivered from the contamination of material sins, and all of his desires become fulfilled without delay
- Animals can kill other living animals, and there is no question of sin on their part, but if a man kills an animal for the satisfaction of his uncontrolled taste, he must be responsible for breaking the laws of nature
- Animals, birds, reptiles and other lower life forms strictly adhere to the laws of nature; therefore there is no question of sin for them, nor are the Vedic instructions meant for them
- Another gopi said, "Certainly the killing of women is a great sin, and if You (Krsna) do not come to see us and we die, You will suffer the reactions of sin. So please come see us"
- Any kind of animal killing is sin, sinful
- Anyone who thinks like that, that "Because I have got this disinfectant method, so I shall commit sinful activities and I'll chant Hare Krsna, and it will be neutralized," so that is the greatest sin
- Apparently, to the rascals it appears like that, that Krsna is encouraging Arjuna to fight. And he says there is no sin. But the rascal does not see under what condition he is advising
- At the end of his wicked life, just by calling the name of "Narayana (Krsna)," he (Ajamila) was saved despite so much sin
- Because by chanting the holy name of the Lord one can be freed from all kinds of sinful reactions, it should not be taken that one may continue to act sinfully and after that chant Hare Krsna to neutralize his sins
- Because Daksa happened to be the father of Sati, she decided not to kill him but to give up her own life in order to compensate for the great sin she had committed by hearing blasphemy of Lord Siva
- Brahma has a fabulous duration of life, but he was obliged to give up his body due to his grievous sin, even though he had merely contemplated it in his mind without having actually done it
- Even in simply drinking water, we kill many tiny aquatic creatures. We kill many such living entities merely by cleaning our homes or when eating and sleeping. In sum, we cannot avoid all the sins we incur, even unconsciously
- Even mother Ganges feared the sinful reactions of the people in general and was anxious about how she would counteract the burden of these sins
- Factually no sin whatsoever touched the Pandavas, who were only the order carriers of the Lord. For others, who declare war out of personal interest, the whole responsibility lies on them
- Foolish people misinterpret the transcendental body of Krsna to be a creation of material nature, and this is considered to be the greatest offense and greatest sin
- For the royal order to become nonviolent, this is not good. The ksatriyas, when they are fighting in the battlefield, the killing is not a sin for them
- Having gone through all the miserable, hellish conditions and having passed in a regular order through the lowest forms of animal life prior to human birth, and having thus been purged of his sins, one is reborn again as a human being on this earth
- He who knows Me (Krsna) as the unborn, as the beginningless, as the Supreme Lord of all the worlds - he only, undeluded among men, is freed from all sins
- How can you support that animal killing is not sin?
- Human life is not meant for becoming naked. That is according to Vedic civilization a great sin. You see. So their, their propensity they are increasing to become naked like... What's his name? Lennon, Lennon
- Hypocrisy, when there is sinful activity, then hypocrisy. If there is no sin, where is the possibility of hypocrisy? A sinful man may pose himself a religious man. That is hypocrisy. But if there is no sin, then where is hypocrisy?
- If one chants the holy name of the Lord, even a glimpse of such chanting can immediately free one from all sins
- If one rejects spiritual master, he becomes a great sinner, most sinful. So Bali Maharaja rejected his spiritual master. That's a great sin. But he rejected on shastric ground, because he objected for Visnu worship
- If one repents that "I should not have done this, but I am so sinful that I have again committed this sin," so this repentance will help him to be excused by the Supreme Lord
- If one understands what sin is, he should give it up with sincerity and regret and surrender unto the lotus feet of the Supreme Personality of Godhead through His agent, the pure devotee
- If there is gold, there is certainly illicit sex, meat-eating, gambling and intoxication. Because people in the Western world have a great deal of gold, they are victims of these four sins
- If we think that "Because I am now..., I have got a machine of chanting Hare Krsna, so I shall commit as much sin as possible and it will be counteracted by this process," oh, that is the greatest sin. You cannot do that
- If we work so hard to make a man a devotee and then seeing the older members taking intoxication and doing all nonsense, they become lost to Krsna, that is the greatest sin
- If you think that "Now I am Krsna conscious. Whatever I do, it is right," then it is great sin. But accidentally it happens. That is excused
- If you think that you are chanting, therefore there will be no reaction of sinful activities, that is the greatest sin. Greatest offense. Never. Don't commit any sinful activities
- Illicit sex creates pregnancies, and these unwanted pregnancies lead to abortion. Those involved become implicated in these sins, so much so that they are punished in the same way the next life
- Illicit sex is the most prominent sin due to lusty desire. When one associates with the mode of passion, he is implicated in suffering life after life
- Immediately come to Krsna. Of course, it does not mean that anyone who comes to Krsna or Krsna's representative, he has finished all the reaction of his past sinful activities. That is not possible. Everyone is full with the result of his past sins
- In Manu-samhita, the lawbook for mankind, it is supported that a murderer should be condemned to death so that in his next life he will not have to suffer for the great sin he has committed
- In other words, the chanting of Hare Krsna is beneficial for eradicating all sins; but if one becomes an offender to the holy names of the Lord, then he has no chance of being delivered
- In some religious sects a sinful man goes to a priest to confess his sinful acts and pay a fine, but then he again commits the same sins and returns to confess them again. This is the practice of a professional sinner
- In the hellish condition within the womb, the living entity is very much afraid of being born again, but when he is out of the womb, when he is in full life and good health, he forgets everything and commits again and again the same sins
- In the same Skanda Purana there is a statement about submission and humbleness. It is stated there, "My dear Lord, there is no sinful living entity who is more of a sinner than myself. Nor is there a greater offender than myself"
- In the Western countries, Christians believe that Lord Jesus Christ, their spiritual master, appeared in order to eradicate all the sins of his disciples. To this end, Lord Jesus Christ appeared and disappeared
- In this way there is a chain of sinful activities and their concomitant distresses, and the conditioned soul is suffering life after life due to these sins
- Indeed, he (Ajamila) has atoned not only for sins performed in one life but for those performed in millions of lives, for in a helpless condition he chanted the holy name of Narayana
- It is a great offense to receive pardon for sins and then commit the same sins again. Such an offense is more dangerous than the sinful activity itself
- It is said in the sastras that by once uttering the holy name of the Lord, the sinner gets rid of a quantity of sins that he is unable to commit
- It is said in the smrti-sastras that men who are punished by the king on the principle of a life for a life are purified of all their sins, so much so that they may be eligible for being promoted to the planets of heaven
- It will be a great service if you (Yadubara) can educate. Yasyatma-buddhih kunape tri-dhatuke. To keep them as animals is a great sin
- Jiva Gosvami has proven that one can be liberated from the effects of all sins simply by chanting the holy name of the Lord
- Joy and sorrow, loss and gain, sin and piety, and honor and dishonor, are converted into spiritual energy by being brought into contact with the Supreme Lord
- Just like in some religious process it is said that you commit all kinds of sins and go to the church and simply confess, you are free. So this doing and confessing, doing and confessing is going on
- King Yudhisthira was considering performing a horse sacrifice to get freed from sins incurred from fighting with kinsmen. But he became anxious to get some wealth, for there were no surplus funds outside of fines and tax collection
- Krsna continued, "By worshiping all the elements and their predominating deities, one can gradually become free from the influence of envy, but all the sins of an envious person can be nullified immediately simply by serving a great soul"
- Krsna says that to kill a cow and to kill a human being is the same sin
- Krsna says, patram puspam phalam toyam yo me bhaktya prayacchati: "Anyone who offers Me with love and affection vegetables, grains, milk, I eat." So if there is any sin for eating vegetables, that is Krsna's sin, not our sin. We take the prasadam
- Lord Jesus Christ, he agreed to suffer himself for the sins of all the people. But that does not mean that Jesus Christ or Vasudeva Datta should make a contract for ourself and we shall go on committing sins. This is most heinous proposal
- Lord Krsna is the fountainhead of the principle of visnu-tattva, and therefore shelter of His lotus feet can deliver one from all sins, including an offense committed by a king unto a brahmana
- Lust & desire became manifested from the heart of Brahma, anger from between his eyebrows, greed from between his lips, the power of speaking from his mouth, the ocean from his penis, & low and abominable activities from his anus, the source of all sins
- O Arjuna, best of the Bharatas, in the very beginning curb this great symbol of sin (lust) by regulating the senses, and slay this destroyer of knowledge and self-realization
- Once undeviating faith in devotional service to Lord Krsna penetrates a person's heart, the process of purification is firmly underway, even though his external activities may show residues of sin
- One cannot enter into the kingdom of God unless one is perfectly cleared of all sins. The material sins are products of our desires to lord it over material nature
- One may succeed in avoiding many kinds of sin, but it is impossible to escape committing the five great sins called panca-suna
- One should not conclude that one may continue to sin with the intention of chanting Hare Krsna to neutralize the reactions. Rather, one should be very careful to be free from all sins
- One who does not do so (eat only food offered to Kṛṣṇa) continues to increase the volume of sinful action, and this prepares the next body to resemble hogs and dogs, to suffer the resultant reactions of all sins
- One who takes foodstuff after a performance of sacrifice eats real food for proper maintenance of the body and soul, but one who cooks for himself and does not perform any sacrifice eats only lumps of sin in the shape of foodstuffs
- Places of pilgrimage are always infected by the sins left by the sinners who go there, but when a personality like Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu visits such a place, all contaminations vanish
- Places of pilgrimages are meant for eradicating the sins of the pilgrims, and they are distributed all over the universe just to give facility to all concerned for attaining pure existence and God realization
- Sacrifice is the means for counteracting such accumulated sins (committed by fruitive workers). The demigods are pleased when such sacrifices are performed, just as prison officers are satisfied when the prisoners are turned into obedient subjects
- Sati concentrated all her meditation on the holy lotus feet of her husband, Lord Siva, who is the supreme spiritual master of all the world. Thus she became completely cleansed of all taints of sin and quit her body in a blazing fire by meditation
- Similarly, certain Christians go to church to confess their sins, thinking that confessing their sins before a priest and performing some penance will relieve them from the results of their weekly sins
- Simply by chanting one holy name of Hari, a sinful man can counteract the reactions to more sins than he is able to commit
- Sinful persons go to the holy places and leave their sins there to accumulate. But the presence of the great saints disinfects the accumulated sins, and thus the holy places continue to remain sanctified by the grace of the devotees and saints present
- Someone may think, "For a whole week I may commit sinful activities, and for one day I will go to the temple or church and admit my sinful activities so that I can become washed off and again begin my sinning"
- Srila Haridasa explained that just as fear of nocturnal creatures like thieves, ghosts, and hobgoblins evaporates at dawn's first light, so all sins and offences are erased and liberation is attained in the clearing stage of chanting the holy name
- Srila Rupa Gosvami says that the distresses from sinful activities are due both to the sins themselves and to sins committed in our past lives
- That people are raising cattle to send to the slaughterhouse is a great sin. By this demoniac enterprise, people are ruining their chance for a truly human life
- The abhasa feature of bhakti is compared to twilight, and the accumulation of one's sins is compared to fog. Since fog does not spread throughout the sky, the sun need do no more than merely manifest its first rays, and the fog immediately disappears
- The brahmana's son, Srngi, said: O just look at the sins of the rulers who, like crows and watchdogs at the door, perpetrate sins against their masters, contrary to the principles governing servants
- The brahmanas, the cows and the defenseless creatures are My (the Lord's) own body. Those whose faculty of judgment has been impaired by their own sin look upon these as distinct from Me. They are just like furious serpents
- The chanting of the holy name of the Lord is able to uproot even the reactions of the greatest sins. Therefore the chanting of the sankirtana movement is the most auspicious activity in the entire universe. Please try to understand this
- The demigod Vidyadhara continued to speak to Sri Krsna, "Because I was very proud of the exquisite beauty of my body," he said, "I derided the ugly features of the great sage Angira. He cursed me for my sin, and I became a snake"
- The devotees of the Lord are released from all kinds of sins because they eat food which is offered first for sacrifice. Others, who prepare food for personal sense enjoyment, verily eat only sin
- The great saints and devotees of the Lord are in the list of His paraphernalia, and thus as soon as a saintly devotee is present, the ghostly sins are at once vanquished. That is the verdict of all Vedic literatures
- The holy name has so much spiritual potency that it can deliver one from all sinful reactions and material entanglements, but utterance of the holy name will not be very soon fruitful if done to facilitate sinning
- The individual atma becomes polluted by sin, but the Lord is never contaminated by sins. The Lord is compared to the powerful sun. The sun is never contaminated by anything infectious because it is so powerful
- The law books known as the smrtis mention five kinds of sin which everyone inevitably commits, no matter how unwillingly
- The leaders incite them toward false, illusory gain and thus engage them in various acts of sin. In temporarily benefiting themselves, such leaders sacrifice the real interest of their followers and destroy the followers
- The Lord is never contaminated by sins; on the contrary, the sinful living entities become sterilized by contact with the Lord
- The Lord is the indirect protector of the unrighteous also, for He rectifies their sins through His external potency
- The Lord's feet act like thunderbolts hurled to shatter the mountain of sin stored in the mind of the meditating devotee. One should therefore meditate on the lotus feet of the Lord for a long time
- The Mayavadis do not recognize the personal form of the Lord as spiritual and full of bliss. This is a great sin. Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu's statements are actually factual
- The Nagapatnis said, "It is already clear that this creature appearing in the body of a serpent must have been overburdened with all kinds of sin; otherwise, how could he have the body of a serpent?"
- The power of speaking became manifested from the mouth of Brahma, the ocean from his penis, and low and abominable activities from his anus, the source of all sins
- The root of sin is deliberate disobedience of the laws of nature through disregarding the proprietorship of the Lord. Disobeying the laws of nature or the order of the Lord brings ruin to a human being
- The rsi prayed to the all-pervading Personality of Godhead to pardon his immature boy, who had no intelligence and who committed the great sin of cursing a person who was completely free from all sins, who was subordinate and who deserved to be protected
- The Supreme Lord does not want any living being to act sinfully, and He begs him through his good conscience to refrain from sin
- The Visnudutas, who are superior authorities, gave orders to the Yamadutas, who did not know that Ajamila was no longer subject to tribulation in hellish life for his past sins
- The Yamadutas did not know that Ajamila was no longer subject to tribulation in hellish life for his past sins
- There Bhrgu Muni purposely committed the greatest sin by offending Lord Visnu by his bodily activities. The first offense committed by Bhrgu Muni was mental, the second offense was vocal, and the third offense was corporal
- They (those whose faculty of judgment has been impaired by their own sin) are angrily torn apart by the bills of the vulturelike messengers of Yamaraja, the superintendent of sinful persons
- Thinking of Visnu, or Krsna cleanses one of all sins
- This is Vaisnava: "So for all their sins, I shall suffer. You take them." This philosophy is also expressed in Bible, Lord Jesus Christ, that he agreed to suffer himself for the sins of all the people
- Those who are beyond the dualities that arise from doubts, whose minds are engaged within, who are always busy working for the welfare of all living beings, and who are free from all sins achieve liberation in the Supreme
- Though the devotees are desireless and undemanding, the Lord always sees to their requirements. The devotees are ever-joyful upon receiving such grace from the Lord, and there is no offence or sin in accepting His benedictions
- To be free from all material association means to cease completely from committing any further sins. To meditate upon the lotus feet of the Lord means to become free from the effects of all previous sins
- To give something to someone and then to take it back is considered a great sin, especially in dealing with a brahmana. When both brahmanas charged the King with the same complaint, he was simply puzzled as to how it had happened
- Unfortunately, without Krsna consciousness, these material assets sometimes become sources of sin and degradation. Despite Vidyadhara’s being a demigod and having a beautiful body, he was condemned to the body of a snake due to pride
- Upon your surrender, the spiritual master and Krishna take responsibility for your sins. So if you commit sin again, the spiritual master becomes responsible for your sinful reaction
- Yet although Agastya Muni cursed Maharaja Indradyumna to become an elephant, the curse was indirectly a benediction, for by undergoing one life as an elephant, Indradyumna Maharaja ended the reactions for all the sins of his previous life
- You do not know what is God. You do not know what is the law of God. Therefore you do not know what is sin. That you have to learn from us. It is all due to ignorance
- You think that to kill an animal is no sin?
- Yudhisthira said, "You (Krsna) openly declare that one should surrender unto You, giving up all other engagements, and that You will take charge of him, giving him relief from the reactions of all sins"