Collaborate with us to invoke and fully manifest Srila Prabhupada's Vani-presence.
pray | prays | prayed | praying
This category has the following 9 subcategories, out of 9 total.
Pages in category "Praying"
The following 164 pages are in this category, out of 164 total.
- A devotee does not consider a dangerous position to be dangerous, for in such a dangerous position he can fervently pray to the Lord in great ecstasy. Thus a devotee regards danger as a good opportunity
- A devotee may pray to be delivered from this material world. That is his only aspiration
- A devotee of the Lord never prays to the Lord to appear for the sake of the troubles the miscreants cause for him, and he never bothers Him by asking for protection
- A great devotee prayed, "I am a little surprised, however, that although Krsna is the husband of the goddess of fortune, His body is often marked with the nail pricks of ordinary society girls"
- A man who is going to the church, praying, "God give my daily bread," he is pious, but he's not a pure devotee. But there is chance of his becoming pure devotee in future
- A pure devotee does not pray for liberation or for cessation of the cycle of birth and death because he does not consider that important. The most important thing for a devotee is getting a chance to hear about the pastimes and glories of the Lord
- A pure devotee never asks the Lord for wealth, followers, or even a beautiful wife. He simply prays for uninterrupted engagement in the Lord's service. That should be the motto of life for all prospective students in devotional service
- After offering prayers to the Lord's personal expansions known as the svamsa and saktyavesa-avataras, one should pray to the weapons of Lord Narayana, such as the Sudarsana, gada, sankha, khadga and bow
- Any saintly person would come, my father would simply say, "Give blessings to my son that he may become a Radharani's servant." That was my father's prayer. He never prayed that "My son may become very rich man."
- Arjuna prayed to the lord (Siva) in all humbleness, and the lord, being pleased with him, presented him the pasupata weapon. He acquired many other important weapons from different demigods
- As in the Christian church they go and say, "O God, give us our daily bread." That is also good because he has gone to God. The atheists, they do not like to speak of God, what to speak of praying from God
- As long as the child is within the womb of his mother, he is in a very precarious and horrible condition of life, but the benefit is that he revives pure consciousness of his relationship with the Supreme Lord and prays for deliverance
- Because of a false hope for happiness, the conditioned soul becomes involved in various plans for material activity. Here Maharaja Satyavrata prays that the Lord sever this hard knot of false happiness and thus become his supreme spiritual master
- Because of this (son-in-law of Sarvabhauma criticized Caitainya while He was eating sumptuously), Sathi's mother cursed him by praying that Sathi would become a widow. In other words, she cursed her son-in-law to die
- Being weak Kunti prayed to be free from such bondage of family affection
- Bhaktivinode Thakura sung, praying to the Lord, that he would prefer to take His birth as an ant in the house of a devotee than to take birth as powerful as Brahma without any devotional service
- By praying, it is expected that one should have mercy of God. So what is the test that he has got the mercy of God?
- By the worship of Sudaksina, Lord Siva was very much pleased, and he wanted to give a benediction to his devotee. Sudaksina's purpose was to kill Krsna, and therefore he prayed for a specific power by which to kill Him
- Even a person with no knowledge can immediately acquire all knowledge simply by the benediction of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu. Therefore I (Krsnadas Kaviraja Gosvami) am praying to the Lord for His causeless mercy upon me
- Even one goes to God for praying something material, they're better than those who do not go to God
- Even the artah, even a distressed person, he is praying to the Supreme Authority, "My God, I am very much hungry. Kindly give me my daily bread." He's also philosopher, because he's searching out the Absolute Truth
- Even those who are going to church, they are also praying God, "God, give us our daily bread." These rascals, they have made God as agent for their sense gratification. This is their philosophy
- Hayasirsa Purana states, "I simply pray to be an eternal servant at Your lotus feet. Kindly oblige me and give me this benediction"
- He (a great devotee) sarcastically prayed, "I am very anxious to see Krsna, the S P of Godhead, who is many millions of times more affectionate than the pitrs (forefathers) in the Pitr-loka, and who is always worshiped by the great demigods and sages"
- He (Prahlada Maharaja) did not ask any benediction that he might have asked, but he prayed that his atheistic father might be liberated. He never cursed any of the persons who engaged in torturing him at the instigation of his father
- He (Prthu) prays to the S P of Godhead thusly, "My dear Lord, if after taking liberation I have no chance of hearing the glories of Your Lordship, glories chanted by pure devotees from the core of their hearts in praise of Your lotus feet"
- He (Rupa Gosvami) further prays that by residing in that ocean of nectar he may always feel transcendental pleasure in the service of Radha and Krsna
- He too prays for attachment and devotion to the lotus feet of Lord Krsna, as the words from his own mouth give evidence
- Hiranyakasipu prayed for supremacy over the entire universe and requested the eight yogic perfections, such as anima and laghima
- Hiranyakasipu was afraid of being killed by someone else in another land. There are many other planets, higher and lower, and therefore he prayed for the benediction of not being killed by any resident of any of these planets
- I am encouraging now cow killing or animal killing, and when by nature's law, the turn comes upon me to be killed, if I pray I want to stop it, how it can be stopped?
- If a pious man is in need of material help, he prays to the Lord for such help. If a pious man is actually inquisitive about the science of God, he approaches the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Krsna
- If we are praying to God, "O God, give us our daily bread," and the bread is supplied to us, how God is dead? God cannot be dead
- If you are self-sufficient, why go to church and pray, "God, give us our daily bread"?
- Ignorant personalities, or conditioned souls, have no choice but to accept their precarious condition under material nature. The only remedy is to surrender to Visnu and always pray to be excused
- In Christian Bible they pray, "O God, give us our daily bread." So one should accept that it is supplied by God. So if one does not even accept this obligation, then he is sinful, certainly
- In Christian theology, the individual goes to the church and prays God, "Give us our daily bread." Why he's asking God?
- In the first verse I have invoked a general benediction, but in the second I have prayed to the Lord in a particular form
- In the Hari-bhakti-sudhodaya it is stated that Prahlada Maharaj, a great devotee of the Lord, prayed to Nrsimhadeva (the half-lion half-man incarnation)
- In the heavenly planet he (Arjuna) also met the great celebrated ascetic Lomasa and prayed to him for the protection of Maharaja Yudhisthira
- In the Isopanisad also, the devotee prays that the glaring effulgence of Brahman may be removed from his eyes so that he can see the real, personal feature of the Lord and thus satisfy himself fully
- In the Nrsimha Purana, Lord Nrsimhadeva says, "Anyone who prays unto Me and takes shelter from Me becomes My ward, and I protect him always from all sorts of calamities"
- In the Skanda Purana there is a statement by devotees praying to the Lord, "I am praying at Your lotus feet that my mind may become attracted unto You in the same spontaneous way"
- In the Skanda Purana there is a statement by devotees praying to the Lord, "My Lord, I know that young girls have natural affection for young boys, and that young boys have natural affection for young girls"
- In Vrndavana all the pure devotees pray for the mercy of Srimati Radharani, the pleasure potency of Lord Krsna
- Instead of being pleased that Lord Krsna had come, they began to pray for Lord Buddha, who is the ninth incarnation, because Lord Buddha stopped the ritualistic ceremonies and sacrifices recommended in the Vedas in order to discourage animal killing
- It appears that Rukmini was a very popular princess, and all the citizens, out of intense love for her, prayed for her best fortune
- It is My vow that if one only once seriously surrenders unto Me, saying "My dear Lord, from this day I am Yours," and prays to Me for courage, I shall immediately award courage to that person, and he will always remain safe from that time on
- It is said that the dacoits in Bengal used to worship the goddess Kali for fulfillment of their sinful desires to plunder others' property, but they never went to a Visnu temple because they might have been unsuccessful in praying to Visnu
- It is very difficult to satisfy the Supreme Personality of Godhead, but in my case, although I (Dhruva) have satisfied the Supersoul of the whole universe, I have prayed only for useless things
- King Nagnajit continued, "Under these circumstances, who can be a better husband for my daughter? Both my daughter and I have always prayed for this opportunity. You (Krsna) are the chief of the Yadu dynasty"
- Krsna is very strict. But the devotees are very lenient. Krsna doesn't want to speak even with demons. But the devotees are so kind, they go to the demons and pray, Kindly hear. Kindly hear about Krsna
- Krsna said, They are praying for further advancement in spiritual life through Your personal association. Generally, living entities in the mode of darkness obtain the bodies of trees
- Lord Jesus Christ, he also prayed for the sinful persons. So this is very good. If we struggle hard to push this movement, then, even we, you don't get any follower, Krsna will be satisfied
- Lord Krsna is very fond of tulasi leaves and buds. Because tulasi buds are usually offered up to the lotus feet of Krsna, a devotee once prayed to the tulasi buds to give him some information about the lotus feet of the Lord
- Maharaja Pariksit was certainly going back to Godhead, but even if he were not to go back, he prayed for a pattern of life which is the most perfect way in the material world
- Murari Gupta then began to pray at the lotus feet of Lord Ramacandra. He prayed that death would come that night because it was not possible for him to give up the service of the lotus feet of Raghunatha
- My dear girls (the gopis), He (Krsna) said, please come here one after another and pray for your garments and then take them away. I'm not joking with you. I'm just telling the truth
- My father also trained me and instructed me to his best capacity, and he prayed for me that Radharani may be pleased upon me, and I think by my father's blessings and grace, I may have come to this position
- Nanda Maharaja had no knowledge that this child (Krsna) was the origin of Visnu; he was praying to Lord Visnu to protect Him
- Narada-pancaratra states, "I simply pray for Your favor that I may be always engaged in Your loving service"
- Narada-pancaratra states, "I simply pray that You grant me the favor of keeping me under Your lotus feet. I do not wish any kind of liberation such as salokya, to reside on Your planet, or sarupya, to have the same bodily features as You"
- Narottama Das Thakura continued, "I pray that You please be merciful upon me. Please do not kick me away, for I have no other shelter than You"
- Narottama dasa Thakura prays that he will have the association of a person - either a householder or a man in the renounced order of life - who is engaged in the transcendental loving service of the Lord & is always crying the holy name of Lord Caitanya
- One cannot achieve the mercy of the goddess of fortune unless one prays both to her and to the supreme enjoyer, the Personality of Godhead
- One had better pray for material desires to the Supreme Lord (although that is not pure devotion), and he will thus achieve the desired result
- One must pray to the Deity for His mercy. 26) One should remember the Deity. 27) One should meditate upon the Deity. 28) One should render some voluntary service. 29) One should think of the Lord as his friend
- One should feelingly pray and become eager to render his particular type of service to the Lord. This is the teaching of all great devotees, especially Lord Caitanya
- One should pray to the Lord to be engaged in His devotional service eternally, so that by the grace of the Lord one can understand the supreme source of creation
- One who goes to pray in the church or in the temple, "O God, give us our daily bread," or "God, give me some money," or "God, give me relief from this distress," they are also pious. They are not impious
- One who is dazzled by the effulgence of the impersonal brahma-jyotir cannot know the personal transcendence; therefore in the Isopanisad it is prayed that the Lord shift His dazzling effulgence so that the devotee can see the real reality
- Ordinary people pray to goddess Durga for material wealth, fame, profit, strength and so on
- Out of His (Advaita Acarya's) causeless compassion for the age-worn human society, He prayed fervently for the incarnation of the Lord and continually worshiped the Lord with water of the Ganges and leaves of the holy tulasi tree
- People are generally inclined to execute religious principles to make economic development. Just like in your Christian religion they go to church and pray, "Oh God, give us our daily bread." That is mainly economic development
- People generally pray for material benefits: "O God, give us our daily bread. Give me nice position. Give me nice wife, nice following or this or victory," so on, so on, so on, simply for material enjoyment
- Persons who are advancing in Krsna consciousness should take instruction from this pastime (of mother Yasoda praying for protection of Krsna) and also be very much interested in cows and the holy name of Visnu
- Persons who go to the demigods and pray for advancement in sinful activities are considered to be bereft of all intelligence
- Prahlada Maharaja did not ask for anything for himself; rather, he prayed for the Lord to excuse his demoniac father. This is the attitude of a Vaisnava, who always thinks of the welfare of the entire universe
- Prahlada Maharaja prays that Lord Nrsimhadeva place him in touch with a pure devotee and servant instead of awarding him material opulence. Every intelligent man within this material world must follow Prahlada Maharaja
- Prahlada Maharaja says: I pray at Your lotus feet to call me back to Your eternal abode as one of Your servitors. This is the summit liberation of this materialistic way of life
- Prahlada prayed to Nrsimhadeva, "I now consider the happiness of brahmananda to be no more than the water in the impression left by a cow's hoof in the earth, compared to this ocean of bliss"
- Prahlada prayed to Nrsimhadeva, "I shall not care for all those sinful activities because simply by hearing about Your pastimes I shall get out of all the contamination of material attachment"
- Prahlada prayed to Nrsimhadeva, "I simply pray that my Krsna consciousness may be more strong and steady, because happiness derived out of Krsna consciousness and devotional service is so powerful"
- Prahlada prayed to Nrsimhadeva, "My dear Lord of the universe, I am feeling transcendental pleasure in Your presence and have become merged in the ocean of happiness"
- Prahlada prayed to Nrsimhadeva, "My dear Lord, I repeatedly pray unto Your lotus feet that I may simply be stronger in devotional service"
- Prahlada prayed to Nrsimhadeva, "with it (happiness from devotional service) one can have all the other perfections of religiousness, economic development, sense gratification and even the attainment of liberation from material existence"
- Prahlada prayed to Nrsimhadeva, "You are the supreme friend, the supreme worshipable Deity. Your pastimes are transcendental, and simply by hearing of them one can counteract all his sinful activities"
- Praying at the lotus feet of Sri Rupa and Sri Raghunatha, always desiring their mercy, I, Krsnadasa, narrate Sri Caitanya-caritamrta, following in their footsteps
- Praying in a humble mood
- Praying to the demigods to achieve the favor of Krsna is not irregular, and Rukmini was fully absorbed in thoughts of Krsna
- Prthu prayed, "I shall simply always pray unto Your Lordship that You may give me millions of tongues and millions of ears so that I can constantly chant and hear of Your transcendental glories"
- Prthu prayed, "If I have no chance for this honey of transcendental bliss, then I shall never ask for liberation or this so-called spiritual emancipation"
- Rukmini desired to have Krsna for her husband and therefore prayed that the deity (Durga) be pleased with her and bless her with that benediction. Since she desired only Krsna, her worship of the demigods is not condemned
- Rupa prays to his spiritual master, Sanatana Gosvami, for the protection of Bhakti-rasamrta-sindhu - the Ocean of the Pure Nectar of Devotional Service - from the argumentative logicians who unnecessarily meddle in the science of service to the Lord
- Saintly persons and great devotees like the gopis cannot give up Krsna in any circumstances. Lord Caitanya therefore prayed, "Krsna, You are free and independent in all respects"
- Sanandana said, "The personified Vedas sing, 'O Lord, we fervently pray that You kindly do so. All the living entities, being Your parts and parcels, are naturally joyful, eternal and full of knowledge'"
- Skanda Purana said, "Tulasi is auspicious in all respects. Simply by seeing, simply by touching, simply by remembering, simply by praying to, simply by bowing before, simply by hearing about or simply by sowing this tree, there is always auspiciousness"
- So we should not try to see God. Then we'll be baffled. Sometimes if, trying, trying, if I baffled - I cannot see - then I'll conclude, "There is no God. If there was God, I prayed so much and He did not appear before me"
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu confidentially prayed, mama janmani janmanisvare bhavatad bhaktir ahaituki tvayi: "My Lord, please bless Me with Your devotional service. I do not want anything else"
- Srila Raghunatha dasa Gosvami offers his respectful obeisances to Srimati Radharani, taking a straw in his mouth. Indeed, he prays, "O Gandharvika, Srimati Radharani, just as Lord Krsna never rejects a surrendered soul, please don't reject me"
- Srila Rupa Gosvami begins his great book by offering his respectful obeisances unto Sri Sanatana Gosvami, who is his elder brother and spiritual master, and he prays that Bhakti-rasamrta-sindhu may be very pleasing to him
- Srila Rupa Gosvami prays that Lord Balarama will be pleased with all of us while He is thus talking just like an intoxicated person
- Sukadeva prays for the mercy of the Lord, not only for being helped personally in presenting the truth, but also for helping others to whom he would like to speak
- The author of the Caitanya-caritamrta prays that just as Krsna attracted the gopis by the sweet sound of His flute, He will also attract the reader's mind by that transcendental vibration
- The Christians pray in the church, "Oh, God, give us our daily bread." So God has got ear so that He will hear and supply. But His personality, His word, His hearing, they're all transcendental, nonmaterial
- The demigods in all the planetary systems feared the terrific manifestation of the universal form and its glaring effulgence and so prayed for protection
- The demigods indirectly prayed that Lord Siva counteract the kalakuta poison, which was spreading throughout the universe
- The devotional service of the Lord consists of nine principles of service activities, and they are: hearing, chanting, remembering, serving the lotus feet, worshiping, praying, executing the orders, fraternizing, and fully surrendering
- The elderly brahmana prayed, "My dear Lord Gopala, I have taken shelter of Your lotus feet, and therefore I request You to please protect my religious principles from disturbance and at the same time save my kinsmen from dying"
- The florist continued, "My Lord, I am praying that You please tell me whatever You wish me to do, because I am Your eternal servant. If You would order me to do something, it would be a great favor to me'
- The gopis prayed to Katyayani to grant them Krsna as their husband, whereas mundaners visit the temple of Katyayani to receive some material profit. That is the difference between a Vaisnava's visit and a nondevotee's visit
- The living entity in this frightful condition of life, bound by seven layers of material ingredients, prays with folded hands, appealing to the Lord, who has put him in that condition
- The Lord appeared on the invitation of Brahma, who prayed before the Ksirodakasayi Visnu, and therefore when the Lord appeared, all the forms of Visnu amalgamated with Him
- The Nagapatnis said, "We are praying that he (Kaliya) may be excused this time. Our dear Lord (Krsna), we are offering our loving service unto You because we are all eternal servitors of Your Lordship. You can order us to do whatever You please"
- The personified Vedas continued to pray, "Because this process (Process of hearing and chanting the Lord's pastimes) has the specific potency of nullifying the accumulated results of sinful life"
- The personified Vedas continued to pray, "Because You are the ultimate controller of creation, maintenance and dissolution. You are the controller of the three worlds, Bhuh, Bhuvah and Svah; You are the controller of the fourteen upper and lower worlds"
- The personified Vedas continued to pray, "Dear Lord, considering all points of view, if a person has to worship someone superior to himself, then just out of good behavior he should stick to the worship of Your lotus feet"
- The personified Vedas continued to pray, "Thus Krsna consciousness becomes fixed in the heart of a devotee"
- The personified Vedas continued to pray, "Thus they (Intelligent persons) are immediately freed from the contamination of the material qualities; they do not have to undergo severe penances and austerities for advancement in spiritual life"
- The personified Vedas continued to pray. "Dear Lord," they said, "from all Vedic information it is understood that You are the supreme controller and all living entities are controlled"
- The personified Vedas praying, "This chanting and hearing of Your transcendental pastimes is the easiest process for self-realization. Simply by submissive aural reception of the transcendental message, one's heart is cleansed of all dirty things"
- The rtvijah, the priests, knew that God is one, yet they prayed for the Supreme Lord to become the son of Maharaja Nabhi to let the world know that the Absolute Truth, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, is one without a second
- The student submissively prays to the spiritual master, "Train me in such a way that I will be able to give up all other processes of self-realization and simply engage in Krsna consciousness, devotional service"
- The Vedas personified continued. "Dear Lord," they prayed, "You are equal to all, with no partiality toward a particular type of living entity"
- The Vedas personified, prayed to the Lord as follows, "My dear Lord, it is very difficult to understand spiritual knowledge. Your appearance here just as You are, is to explain to us this most difficult subject of knowledge of the spirit"
- The wives of the demigods, regretting the absence of their husbands, began to pray for the appearance of Lord Buddha, the ninth incarnation of Krsna in the age of Kali
- Their (the gopis) simple presentation was so pure that Lord Krsna immediately became pleased with them. All the unmarried gopis who prayed to Katyayani to have Krsna as their husband were thus satisfied
- There are nine different kinds of devotional service, which are listed as hearing, chanting, remembering, serving, worshiping the Deity in the temple, praying, carrying out orders, serving Him as a friend and sacrificing everything for Him
- There was a tumultuous roaring sound, and they all began to pray to Krsna for safety. At this time Lord Balarama was smiling, thinking that these cowherd men had been frightened by the shaking of Govardhana Hill
- These sages (the sages of Dandakaranya) also concluded that the form of Lord Krsna is more attractive than that of Lord Ramacandra, and so they prayed to become gopis in their future lives to be associated with Krsna
- These, or any of the other six different types of devotional service (remembering, serving, praying, engaging in some particular service, being in a friendly relationship or offering everything in one's possession) should be executed in full earnestness
- They (the neophyte devotees) go into some place of worship and pray to God for mitigation of material distress, or for some economic development, or to satisfy their inquisitiveness
- We get information from revealed scriptures that when the baby is in the mother's womb (an extremely uncomfortable situation) he prays to God for deliverance and promises to worship Him alone as soon as he gets out
- When all the higher and lower planets became too hot to live on, the demigods, being disturbed, left their abodes in the higher planets and went to see Lord Brahma, praying to him that he curtail this unnecessary heat
- When I prayed to the Lord for permission, a garland from His neck immediately slipped down
- When I visited the temple of Madana-mohana, the priest Gosani dasa was serving the feet of the Lord, and I also prayed at the Lord's lotus feet
- When Krsna was joking with Radharani in this way, Radharani moved her beautiful eyebrows crossly. Rupa Gosvami prays that everyone may become blessed by this movement of Srimati Radharani's eyebrows
- When Krsna was on the lap of His mother, the demon Putana appeared before His mother and prayed to nurture the child in her lap. Mother Yasoda agreed, and the child was transferred onto the lap of Putana, who was in the garb of a respectable lady
- When the demigods are utterly helpless, they approach the Supreme Personality of Godhead in grief and with tears in their eyes, praying to the Lord, and thus they become almost pure devotees
- When the demigods are utterly helpless, they approach the Supreme Personality of Godhead in grief and with tears in their eyes, praying to the Lord, and thus they become almost pure devotees, free from material desires
- When the Yamuna was threatened like this, she became greatly afraid of the power of Balarama and immediately came in person, falling at His lotus feet and praying
- When we are, I mean to say, taught to love God, we are instructed that "You go to temple, go to church, and pray to God for your necessities, for your grievances." That is the beginning. But that is not pure love
- Whenever there is any trouble in the administration of the innumerable planets in different universes, the rulers pray for an appearance, and the Lord appears
- While Dhruva Maharaja was absent from his home, not only did he undergo severe austerities in the forest of Madhuvana, but at home also his mother (Queen Suniti) prayed to the Supreme Lord for his safety and good fortune
- While He was passing in the northern direction, all the celestial denizens known as Caranas and Gandharvas, as well as the munis and the damsels of the heavenly planets, prayed and offered Him all respects
- While Rukmini was praying, she presented a variety of items before the deity (Durga), chief of which were water, different kinds of flames, incense, garments, garlands and various foods prepared with ghee, such as puris and kachoris
- With tears in his (Hiranyakasipu's) eyes, his whole body shivering, he began praying in a humble mood, with folded hands and a faltering voice, to satisfy Lord Brahma
- Without any training there is a natural attraction due to the sex impulse. This is a material example, but the devotee is praying that he may develop a similar spontaneous attachment for the Supreme Lord
- Yamuna prayed "I forgot Your (Balarama) glorious, exalted position, but now I have come to my senses, and I remember that You hold all the planetary systems on Your head merely by Your partial expansion Sesa. You are the sustainer of the whole universe"
- Yamuna prayed "My dear Balarama, You are the most powerful personality, and You are pleasing to everyone"
- Yamuna prayed "My dear Lord (Balarama), please know that I am a soul surrendered unto You, who are very affectionate to Your devotees. Therefore please excuse my impudence and mistakes, and, by Your causeless mercy, may You now release me"
- Yamuna prayed "My dear Supreme Personality of Godhead, You are full with six opulences. Because I forgot Your omnipotence, I have mistakenly disobeyed Your order, and thus I have become a great offender"