Collaborate with us to invoke and fully manifest Srila Prabhupada's Vani-presence.
meaning | meanings | meaning's
This category has the following 15 subcategories, out of 15 total.
- ► Essence (3 C, 149 P)
- ► Gist (6 P)
- ► Import (3 C, 40 P)
- ► Purport (2 C, 75 P)
Pages in category "Meaning"
The following 154 pages are in this category, out of 154 total.
- Direct meaning
- Every word we hear has a meaning behind it
- Exact meaning
- If the meaning is clear, there is no chance of interpreting; if the meaning is not clear, then you can interpret
- ISOKRISHNA has got two-fold meaning. It means International Society for Krishna Consciousness, and also, that Krishna is the All-Attractive Supreme Personality of Godhead. So it is all-round perfect
- Root meaning
- Understand the meaning
- A predicate always follows its subject. Now I shall explain the meaning of this verse according to the revealed scriptures
- Actually Radharani inquired from Krsna, "Where is Your dress?" But Krsna took the meaning as residence, and He replied to Radharani, "My dear captivated one, at the present moment my residence is in Your beautiful eyes"
- After this, Lord Krsna and Arjuna entered a vast spiritual water. This spiritual water is called the Karana Ocean, which means that this ocean is the origin of the creation of the material world
- After uttering the word ‘atmaramah' fifty-eight times and taking ‘ca' in a sense of aggregation, one may add the word ‘munayah.' That will mean that great sages also render devotional service to Lord Krsna. In this way there are fifty-nine meanings
- All kinds of liberation exist under the feet of the Supreme Personality of Godhead; therefore He is known as mukti-pada. According to another meaning, mukti is the ninth subject, and the Supreme Personality of Godhead is the shelter of liberation
- All these mantras confirm that the Absolute Truth is personal, but the Mayavadis, throwing away the direct meaning, interpret the Absolute Truth as impersonal
- Almost anyone expert in studying grammar interprets the sastras in many ways by changing the root meanings of their words. A student of grammar can sometimes completely change the meaning of a sentence by juggling grammatical rules
- Although Krsna is always very satisfied by nature, when Maharaja Yudhisthira asked this question the Lord became even more satisfied because this question and its answer would bear a great meaning for the entire Krsna conscious society
- Although this is figurative language, it conveys the meaning behind the appearance of Caitanya Mahaprabhu. The full significance of His appearance will be explained in later chapters
- An unknown object should not be put before the known subject because the object has no meaning if the subject is not first given
- Anyone who has got little control, he can be called isvara. That is the dictionary meaning. But even the original isvaras, namely Brahma, Visnu, Mahesvara, they are also not supreme isvara. The supreme isvara is Krsna
- Ar na koriho mane asa. You rascal, you do not desire anything else. Are you not singing daily? But do you understand the meaning? Or you are singing only? What is the meaning? Who will explain? Nobody knows? Yes, what is the meaning?
- Brahma means unlimitedly great and unlimitedly expanding
- Brahma said, "So-called liberation and bondage have no meaning for a person who is already engaged in Your devotional service, just as a rope is not fearful to a person who knows that it is not a snake"
- Brahma-vadinam means those who talk about the Absolute Truth but have not yet come to a conclusion. Generally brahma-vadi refers to the impersonalists or to those who are students of the Vedas
- By chanting this Hare Krsna mantra, any part of the world, although they do not know the meaning, they chant and they join and they become rectified, and they become bright-faced. That is the verdict
- Caitanya Mahaprabhu continued, "The Vedanta-sutra is the summary of all the Upanisads; therefore whatever direct meaning is there in the Upanisads is also recorded in the Vedanta-sutra, or Vyasa-sutra"
- Caitanya Mahaprabhu says the, the person whose name we chant, holy name, in each, in each holy Allah, or something like that, that is not objected if it is actually meaning the Supreme
- Education or learning means to understand the Supreme Personality of Godhead; therefore, although Lord Balarama appeared on the earth as a ksatriya, all the brahmanas and sages stood up because they knew who Lord Balarama was
- Every Sanskrit word has got elaborate meaning. Grhastha means one who stays in grha, in house. He is called grhastha
- Every word of sastra has volumes of meanings. Udga... Therefore sometimes right commentary required
- For all living entities to be attracted toward Krsna is natural, and therefore the Lord's real name is Krsna, meaning He who attracts everyone and everything
- For each sutra the direct meaning must be accepted without interpretation. However, you simply abandon the direct meaning and proceed with your imaginative interpretation
- For iron to be attracted by a magnet is natural. Similarly, for all living entities to be attracted toward Krsna is natural, and therefore the Lord's real name is Krsna, meaning He who attracts everyone and everything
- For the translation of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, you can say either Paramesvara or Bhagavan. Paramatma or Antaryami is good for localized Super-soul. If you can give the meaning of all the sanskrit words, that will be best
- For the word sadhana-bhakti there is only one meaning, the execution of devotional service according to regulative principles
- Friendly talking cannot give any good result, simply waste of time. But when there is talking between disciple and the spiritual master, that has got meaning
- Gandhi, he wanted to prove, from Bhagavad-gita, nonviolence. The Bhagavad-gita is being preached in the battlefield, and it is completely violence. How he can prove? Therefore he is dragging the meaning out
- Garga Muni said, "Because your family and the family of the Yadus are so intimately connected & attracted, His name will also be Sankarsana." This means that Garga Muni awarded three names to the son of Rohini - namely Balarama, Sankarsana and Baladeva
- Having first given hints about the verse describing the principal reason why the Lord appeared, now I shall manifest its full meaning
- He (Jarasandha) specifically addressed Krsna as purusadhama, meaning “the lowest among men.” Actually Krsna is known in all Vedic scriptures as Purusottama, the highest among men
- He is simply using that better intelligence for animalism. This is the meaning. He has no education how to utilize the better intelligence. Therefore he is utilizing only in animalism
- His (Maha-Visnu) neck was decorated with the Kaustubha jewel, and His chest was marked with the symbol of Srivatsa, which means “the resting place of the goddess of fortune.”
- I am laboring so hard that before I leave this body, I may give you some books who you can enjoy after my death. So utilize it. Read every sloka nicely, try to understand the meaning, discuss amongst yourselves
- I don't think that Hayagriva is at fault. He has not changed the meaning or the philosophy in any way. But if you like to use the original manuscript, then if it is possible, you can use it
- I give the original verse, its English transliteration, word-for-word Sanskrit-English equivalents, translations and purports. This makes the book very authentic and scholarly and makes the meaning self-evident
- I have described the meaning of the fourth verse. Now, O devotees, kindly hear the explanation of the fifth verse
- I wish that the American people may try to understand Bhagavad-gita in terms of its direct meaning
- If a person is born of a brahmana father but has no brahminical qualification, he is called brahma-bandhu or dvija-bandhu. This means that a brahmana or a ksatriya is not accepted simply by birth
- If one diverts his attention to studying many books, he cannot fix his mind in devotional service, nor can he understand many scriptures, for they are full of grave statements and meanings
- If temples print independently it will be at the cost of the books I am myself printing, and could eventually cause the financial ruin of the BBT meaning I could not order new books from the printer
- If you accept Bhagavad-gita as the book of authority, you cannot change the meaning. That is not allowed. What right? If you have got some opinion, if you have got some philosophy, you can write in your own book
- Impersonalists twist some meanings out of Bhagavatam to suit and support impersonalist views, and the professional readers at once go to the Tenth Canto to misexplain the most confidential part of the Lord's pastimes
- In Sanskrit the grammatical jugglery is a great puzzle, there are many words which can be changed into different meanings by grammatical root derivations and affixing and prefixing pratyayas
- In the material platform your interest, my interest, sometimes clash. There may be fight. But why fight on religious, mean God consciousness? If everyone is God conscious, where is the question of fight?
- In the Siva Purana the Supreme Personality of Godhead told Lord Siva: "In Kali-yuga, mislead the people in general by propounding imaginary meanings for the Vedas to bewilder them"
- In the Srimad-Bhagavatam, because it is science of God, there is definition, what do you mean by God. The definition is that one person who has got six opulences in full, He is God
- In Vedic literature there are some difficult passages, but the meaning or the purpose should be learned from a bona fide spiritual master. That is the process for understanding the Vedas
- Inner meaning
- Instead of wasting one's time falsely deriving such indirect meanings from the Vedanta-sutra and other Vedic literatures, one should accept the words of these books as they are
- Intoxication in the person of Sri Radharani after She saw Krsna: sometimes She was talking without any meaning, and sometimes She was praying to Her associate gopis. Seeing these symptoms in Radharani, the gopis began to talk among themselves
- Isvara means controller, powerful. Even the demigods, they are also isvaras. You are also isvara. I am also isvara. Isvara means controller. Anyone who has got little control, he can be called isvara. That is the dictionary meaning
- It is stated in Srimad-Bhagavatam that Lord Krsna offered respect to Maha-Visnu; this means that Krsna offered obeisances unto none other than Himself, because Lord Maha-Visnu is nondifferent from Krsna Himself
- Krishna Consciousness is developed by following two parallel lines, means service of Krishna, and service of the Spiritual Master. This is the secret of success
- Krsna consciousness is a type of morality which is above social meaning. It is transcendental. Social means guided by the three modes of material nature. But Krsna's order is above, transcendental
- Krsna is the Godhead because He is all-attractive. Outside the principle of all-attraction, there is no meaning to the word "Godhead"
- Krsna said, "They are called atmarama, which means they are absorbed in the thought of the Supreme Personality of Godhead and so do not care whether one loves them or not. But another class comprises ungrateful men. They are called callous"
- Krsna's words can immediately solve all of the questions and problems of the world. Although He does not speak very long, each and every word from His mouth contains volumes of meaning
- Krsna, the Parabrahman, or the Supreme Brahman, being always situated in full knowledge, is never overcome by such activities. Therefore Krsna is called Acyuta, meaning "He who never falls down"
- Let me describe the meaning of the third verse (of the first fourteen). It is an auspicious vibration that describes the Absolute Truth
- Let us submit one piece of information before You, dear Lord. It is not at all false but is full of meaning. It is this: If You are not merciful upon us, then it will be very, very difficult to find more suitable candidates for Your mercy
- Lord Caitanya thought, "My name is Visvambhara, 'one who maintains the entire universe.' Its meaning will be actualized if I can fill the whole universe with love of Godhead"
- Lord Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu replied, "The word 'mukti-pade' has another meaning. 'Mukti-pada' directly refers to the Supreme Personality of Godhead"
- Lord Sri Krsna is the primeval Lord, and if any transcendental nomenclature for the absolute Personality of Godhead is to be accepted, it should be the name Krsna, meaning "all-attractive"
- Maharaja Rahugana was somewhat unhappy at not being able to grasp Jada Bharata's instructions, which were full of meaning that could not be understood by a materialistic person. Therefore Jada Bharata repeated his instructions more clearly
- Many other commentators due to poor fund of knowledge tamper with the lines of Bhagavad-gita and twist the meaning for their personal motives, but we do not do like that. We present it exactly as it is; without any additions or subtractions
- Material happiness or opulence means gratification of the senses, especially the genitals, the tongue and the mind
- Meditation means concentration upon the lotus feet of the Lord. Lotus feet indicate the SPG. But those who are impersonalists do not recognize the lotus feet of the Lord, and therefore their object of meditation is something impersonal
- My dear brothers, kindly listen to the explanation of this verse and consider its meaning: the one original entity is known in His three different features
- My idea is that if we can connect this Kristo and Christ, that love of Godhead, there is some meaning. Because we, our Krsna consciousness movement means we are teaching people how to love God
- No one could otherwise understand this meaning. I can therefore guess that previously You bestowed upon him Your causeless mercy
- No one should try to squeeze out his own meaning by imperfect mundane knowledge. The guru, or the bona fide spiritual master, is competent to teach the disciple in the right path with reference to the context of all authentic Vedic literature
- Omkara is known as the maha-vakya, or supreme sound. Whatever meaning is in the supreme sound omkara is further understood in the Gayatri mantra
- One cannot foolishly manufacture an interpretation of Bhagavad-gita and still bring about transcendental benefit. Anyone who tries to squeeze some artificial meaning for an ulterior motive is not one engaged anxiously in bona fide hearing of krsna-katha
- One has to go to guru and understand the meaning by parampara. You cannot make your own meaning. The meaning is already there. But if you cannot understand, then you should approach guru and understand the meaning by parampara
- One morning, when Krsna came to Radha, Radha asked Him, "My dear Kesava, where is Your vasa at present?" The Sanskrit word vasa has three meanings: one meaning is residence, one meaning is fragrance, and another meaning is dress
- One who misinterprets Bhagavad-gita, twisting out some meaning for his sense gratification, is a non-Aryan. Therefore commentaries on Bhagavad-gita by such persons should be immediately rejected
- Only for the sake of executing the duties of the renounced order of sannyasa do I listen. Unfortunately, I cannot in the least understand the meaning you are presenting
- Outlines of thought are already there. You read one line, you can speak half an hour. They are so full of meaning. Provided you can express the meanings
- Real purusa means, the supreme enjoyer, God, Krsna. And prakrti means which is enjoyed. Another meaning - prakrti, means woman and purusa means man
- Recent trends show that without probing deeply into a subject, these Westerners uselessly debate direct and indirect meanings ad infinitum
- Regarding that Sanskrit student who bought six books, yes, our word meanings will induce any Sanskrit scholar to purchase
- Since I can understand Krsna according to these two meanings," Caitanya Mahaprabhu said, "what point is there in changing the verse?" Sarvabhauma Bhattacarya replied, "I was not able to give that reading to the verse"
- Sisya means who abides by the rules. Or English "discipline." Either you take English or Sanskrit, the same meaning. Sisya means who accepts the ruling of his spiritual master; and disciple means the same thing
- So-called ethics, morality and law, good and bad, they are all rascaldom. It has no meaning. Because they are punishable
- So-called politicians, erudite scholars and philosophers who read Bhagavad-gita try to twist some meaning from it to suit their material purposes, but their misunderstandings of Krsna will not yield them any profit
- Sometimes learned scholars describe "predominating" to mean a person intolerant of being neglected
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu advised Prakasananda Sarasvati, "Study Srimad-Bhagavatam very scrutinizingly. Then you will understand the actual meaning of the Brahma-sutra"
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu continued, "The Brahma-sutra, compiled by Srila Vyasadeva, is as radiant as the sun. One who tries to interpret its meaning simply covers that sunshine with a cloud"
- Srila Rupa Gosvami says that although he has no expert knowledge about the sounds and meanings and mellows of the symptoms of ecstatic love, he has tried to give some examples of different varieties of love of Krsna
- Sripada Sridhara Svami has composed a nice verse in this regard, the meaning of which is as follows, "My dear Lord, I am a living entity perpetually disturbed by the conditions of material existence"
- Su means "very nice," and darsana means "observation"; by the grace of Lord Krsna’s disc, Sudarsana, everything can be seen very nicely, and nothing can remain in darkness
- Sutra means codes. Just like they have got code book. One word, it is meaning so many other things. Businessmen, they have got codes. When they send cable to their customer or to their principle, they use some codes
- Tama means "darkness," and ut means "above, transcendental"; therefore, uttama means "above the darkest region of the material world
- The argument that the scorpion comes from cow dung, meaning that a living entity comes from matter, is also unsound
- The asuras are described here as mudha-dhiyah, meaning that they are captivated by ignorance, just like the ass. The demons were captivated by the false, glaring beauty of this material form, and thus they embraced her (the evening twilight)
- The Christians say, "God is great." The Muslim also say that allah akbar. That is also same meaning. The Vedic literature also says, Brahman, Parabrahma. Brahman means the greatest
- The consciousness of the living entity who falsely presents himself as the enjoyer of the material world is called jiva-kosa, which means imprisonment by the false ego
- The demons are described in the Bhagavad-gita as duskrtis, or miscreants. Krti means "very meritorious,” but when duh is added it means "abominable"
- The devotee said, "When a devotee dances in ecstatic love, there are manifestations of symptoms which are called sattvika. Sattvika means that they are from the transcendental platform"
- The difficulty is that people are not educated to understand this simple philosophy of Krsna consciousness. They think that advancement of civilization means increasing sense gratification
- The difficulty is there is no brahmana, there is no ksatriya. There are only the vaisyas and the sudras, belly, vaisya means belly and sudra means the leg. So if, out of the four divisions, one is wanting, the society must be in chaotic condition
- The essence of the meaning of this verse is that Lord Krsna appears in all His innumerable eternal forms because of the desires of His pure devotees
- The first step in pursuance of the system of knowledge received by Brahma, is to approach a bona fide guru who is the representative of the Lord following the parampara system. No one should try to squeeze out his own meaning
- The intention of the Bhagavad-gita is known by Krsna, the author. So we have to understand the intention of the author. We cannot exact any meaning by our own scholarship which is different from the intention of the author
- The Kumaras are called naisthika-brahmacari, meaning they are never to marry
- The Mayavadi philosophers explain the word maya as meaning "illusion" or "falseness." However, there is another meaning of maya - that is, causeless mercy
- The meaning of the aphorisms in the Vedanta-sutra contain clear purports in themselves, but other purports you presented simply covered the meaning of the sutras like a cloud
- The same Personality of Godhead, Krsna, is easily available to the vision of the residents of Vrndavana. This means there is no comparison to these devotees' great fortune
- The system is that I give the original verse, its English transliteration, word-for-word Sanskrit-English equivalents, translations and purports. This makes the book very authentic and scholarly and makes the meaning self-evident
- The word 'mukti' refers to five kinds of liberation. But its direct meaning usually conveys the idea of becoming one with the Lord
- The word adi-deva, meaning "the original, primeval Lord," indicates that Lord Krsna is the origin of all the Visnu expansions
- The word paramahamsa means "the supreme swan"
- There are so many monkeys, dogs and hogs also; they are in Vrndavana. Do you mean to say that they are living in Vrndavana? No. Anyone who wants to satisfy senses in Vrndavana, their next life is dogs, hogs, and monkeys
- There are ten meanings for the word bhakti (devotional service)
- There is a very deep meaning in the word ‘try-adhisvara,' which indicates that Krsna possesses three different lokas, or natures
- There is actually no room for extracting some alternative meaning and then giving a so-called esoteric dissertation on Bhagavad-gita
- This stage of life is called yukta-vairagya, as enunciated by Srila Rupa Gosvami. Knowledge and renunciation, therefore, do not mean dry speculation and renunciation of activities. Rather, one must start speaking and acting only in relationship with Krsna
- This verse appears to be the hankering between some ordinary boy and girl, but its actual deep meaning was known only to Svarupa Damodara. By chance, one year Rupa Gosvami was also present there
- Those who are from the very beginning of their self realization attached to devotional service are called sevanistha. Sevanistha means simply attached to devotional service
- Thus niyamagraha has a twofold meaning that is understood according to the particular combination of words
- To be nirguna means to be bereft of material opulences because, as we have explained, material opulence means an increase of the actions and reactions of the three material qualities
- To become nirguna means to achieve eternal peace, fearlessness, religiousness, knowledge and renunciation. All these are symptoms of becoming free from the contamination of the material qualities
- To prove their philosophy, the members of the Mayavada school have given up the real, easily understood meaning of the Vedic literature and introduced indirect meanings based on their imaginative powers
- Vasudeva knew very well that he could not by force rescue Devaki from the imminent danger. Devaki was actually the daughter of Kamsa's uncle, and therefore she is described as suhrt, meaning "relative"
- Vijnanam means transcendental knowledge of the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Vijnanam is also experienced knowledge
- We don't want any very learned scholars, Sanskrit grammarian to manufacture jugglery of words, meanings
- We have presented Bhagavad-gita As It Is. We do not create meanings by concoction. Sometimes commentators say that the word kuruksetra in the first verse of the Bhagavad-gita refers to one's body, but we do not accept this
- We have to simply repeat like parrot. Not exactly parrot. Parrot does not understand the meaning; he simply vibrates. But you should understand the meaning also; otherwise how you can explain?
- We should not waste our time, either you act materially or spiritually. But materially we have no business, although we have taken it the material business as very important and spiritual business has no meaning
- We try to drag concocted meanings out of the simple passages of Bhagavad-gita to establish some man-made idea which is never supported by Bhagavad-gita. By such artificial dragging, one cannot ultimately establish his rubbish theory
- When one does not touch the direct meaning but tries to divert attention by misinterpretation, he engages in chala. The word nigraha also means always trying to refute the arguments of the other party
- When Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu chanted this verse, Haridasa Thakura, upon hearing the vibration, became jubilant and began to dance while praising its meaning
- When you say we are not Hindu that we are not restricted with the Hindi community. That is the meaning. Because Krsna says, "I am for everyone." So why should we be restricted to the Hindi community?
- When you speak in the classroom (of the university), just quote from any of my books and then try and explain the meaning in your own words and the students will appreciate it very much
- Whenever Lord Krsna speaks about something to a specific devotee, it is meant not only for that devotee but for all devotees, and indeed for the entire human society
- You are depending on this verbal root, that verbal root, and interpreting your meaning in a different way. All this is nonsense. This grammatical jugglery of words, will not save you at the time of death. You rascal, you just worship Govinda
- You can analyze. Karsana you cannot understand the meaning? Krsna means all-attractive. Krs-karsati. Yes. Krsna means attractive, all-attractive
- You can become very healthy. But does it mean that health is the perfection of life? Do you mean to say healthy life will not die, will not change his body? So health is required, but health is not the ultimate goal of life
- You understand what is the meaning of Bhagavata, this word, Bhagavata? You understand? These are the common questions. If you do not understand this common question then how you can instruct others?
- Your spiritual name is Surananda. Sura, this word, it, it becomes, sura means "liquor" and sura means "the demigods or the devotees" Asura means demons. So your name is Surananda. Ananda means pleasure, so it can bear two meanings