Collaborate with us to invoke and fully manifest Srila Prabhupada's Vani-presence.
laugh | laughable | laughed | laugher | laughing | laughingly | laughingstock | laughs | laughter
This category has the following 3 subcategories, out of 3 total.
Pages in category "Laughter"
The following 160 pages are in this category, out of 160 total.
- A child may insist on having something and cry like anything to get it, disturbing the whole neighborhood, and then immediately after achieving the desired thing, he laughs. Such crying and laughing is enjoyable to the parents
- A joker's activities simply arouse laughter, and a person who tries to repay the spiritual master or teacher of the transcendental message of Krsna becomes a laughingstock just like a joker because it is not possible to repay such a debt
- Abhirucir means the boy and the girl, if he likes, if he says, that's all. No other calculation. And the, after three days after marriage, there is divorce. (laughter) Because abhirucir, "I like, I don't like," that's all
- According to Yajnavalkya's religious injunctions, a woman whose husband is away from home should not take part in any social functions, should not decorate her body, should not laugh and should not go to any relative's house in any circumstance
- After enjoying the loud laughter of all the members of the assembly, Krsna replied to the messenger as follows: "O messenger of Paundraka, you may carry My message to your master"
- After hearing the words of Brahma, the creator, which were free from all sinful purposes and as sweet as nectar, the Lord heartily laughed and accepted his prayer with a glance laden with love
- All mental speculators and learned scholars were defeated by Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu, and when the people began to laugh, the Buddhist philosophers felt both shame and fear
- Although there are gulfs of differences between them, with the ecstasy of parental affection a mixture of laughter, compassion or dread is compatible
- Anubhava can be divided into thirteen categories: dancing, rolling on the ground, singing, yelling, jumping, making loud noises, yawning, heavy breathing, not caring for public opinion, discharging saliva, roaring laughter, unsteadiness and hiccuping
- Anyone who has got money, he has got power. That is open secret. What is the secret? (laughs) If you have got money, you have got all power
- Astavakra Muni was curved in eight joints of his body, and thus he used to move in a peculiar curved manner. The daughters of the demigods could not check their laughter upon seeing the movements of the muni
- At night, nidraya, if one can get the opportunity of sleeping twenty-four hours, he thinks he's very much gainer, especially on Sunday. (laughter) So this is materialistic
- Balarama also embraced Krsna, but He was laughing because when everyone else had been so overwhelmed with anxiety, He had known what would happen to Krsna
- Balarama said, "O you kings of the ants! Why are you hiding yourselves in these holes?" At the same time He also addressed the King of heaven: "O King Indra! You plaything of Saci! Why are you laughing?"
- Balarama said, "O you members of the Yadu dynasty, why are you laughing at Me? Please give me back My liquors made of honey from the kadamba flower!"
- Because She was in front of many of Her superiors, She simply smiled and did not say anything. In this instance, the ecstasy of conjugal love is taken as the whole, and the ecstasy of laughter is taken as the part
- Besides the five direct mellows, there are seven indirect mellows, known as laughter, wonder, chivalry, compassion, anger, disaster and fear
- Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Gosvami says that sometimes persons who have no love of Godhead at all display ecstatic bodily symptoms. Artificially they sometimes laugh, cry and dance just like madmen, but this cannot help one progress in Krsna consciousness
- But I do not wish to die. Why shall I be cheerful? You rascal, you say, "Become cheerful." (laughter) "Cheerfully, you become hanged
- But this nonsense theory, that there was a monkey first of all, (laughter) Darwin's theory, and from monkey, human being has come, this is nonsense. So any other question?
- By her feminine behavior as she dressed herself, walked, got up, smiled, laughed, and glanced about, Queen Barhismati increased his (Maharaja Priyavrata's) energy. Thus although he was a great soul, he appeared lost in the feminine conduct of his wife
- Children are not punishable. (laughter, more applause) Neither the women. (more applause, laughter) Hmm. But don't take advantage. (laughter) And here we have got these brahmanas, saintly persons, women and children. So who is to be punished?
- Cow is not very beautiful. (laughter) (break) ...in the human society the Jews are most beautiful. Is it a fact? Jews? Yehudi
- Deep breathing, disregard for others, the frothing of saliva, mad laughter, spitting, hiccups and other, similar symptoms (of subordinate ecstatic expressions of love)
- Desire tree means just like here in this material world you go to the mango tree. You get mangoes. But you cannot get samosa. (laughter) But desire trees there are. In the spiritual planets there are desire trees
- Devotees are very compassionate. (laughs) Karunikah. "Please you take this service, and other service, I may take prasadam. (laughter) That I cannot neglect."
- Direct devotional services are as follows: neutrality, servitude, fraternity, paternity and conjugal love. Indirect devotional service is divided into laughter, compassion, anger, chivalry, dread, astonishment and ghastliness
- Do you think all the caves of the mountains they are now closed? There are many caves. If you want at all shelter, there are already there are natural rooms, apartment. (everyone laughs) You can live there
- Don't take ice cream. (laughs) This is maya. As soon as you enjoy, you become entrapped. That's all. Just like fishing tackle
- Duryodhana was illusioned by this craftsmanship (of the demon Maya Danava), and when crossing water, thinking it to be land, he fell in. When Duryodhana, out of his foolishness, had thus fallen, the queens enjoyed the incident by laughing
- Dvivida would come before the women & exhibit different types of caricatures. By nature young women are apt to enjoy everything with laughter and joking, & when the gorilla came before them they did not take him seriously but simply laughed at him
- Each of these empowered persons would return to his own village, always chanting the holy name of Krsna and sometimes laughing, crying and dancing
- Ecstatic loving laughing
- Examples of anubhava as follows: dancing, rolling on the ground, singing very loudly, stretching the body, crying loudly, yawning, breathing very heavily, neglecting the presence of others, drooling, laughing like a madman, wheeling the head and belching
- Expert learned scholars say that laughing is generally found amongst youngsters or in the combination of old persons and young children. This ecstatic loving laughing is sometimes also found in persons who are very grave by nature
- Fifty-seven years after. (laughs) So the body has not changed? Where is that body? Now I am with stick. (laughter) Then I was jumping. Is not that? I am there; I remember. The body has changed. What is the difficulty to understand?
- For me it is better to remain in Vrndavana or die. (laughter) Hm. Because they may be very envious, "Here is the man who is behind all this."
- From a distant place, if you see that a railway engine is coming, you'll see the light. So a rascal will say, "A light is coming." (laughter) But one who knows, he will say a train is coming. So it is less intelligent
- Generally, those who are exalted personalities lie down when they feel intoxicated, whereas those who are mediocre laugh and sing during intoxication, and those who are lowly use vulgar language and sometimes cry
- Go and speak what Krsna says. That's all. You have nothing to manufacture, Dr. Frog. (laughs) There is no need of manufacturing. We are very safe because we don't manufacture. We simply repeat, parrotlike, what Krsna has said. That's all
- God is not want of your money. (chuckles) He is quite competent to earn money. He doesn't require anything. But if we give, it is our interest. It is our interest
- Gravity should be maintained. And laughing means taking things trifling. That is not allowed. This is the etiquette. That is what we are teaching. You are simple, but this is the etiquette. Understand me right or not?
- He (Balarama) shook hands with those who were His equals in age and friendship and with loud laughing embraced each one of them
- He's smoking fire, and he's becoming cool. (laughter) And the advertisement is going on, and the rascals are captivated by these advertisement, and they smoke, become cool. Yes
- His (Balarama's) bodily features became so much agitated that it was difficult for anyone to look at Him. He laughed very loudly
- His (Ravana's) laughter, overtaken by joy, along with his very air of life, suddenly ceased with the tingling sound of the bow of Ramacandra, the Personality of Godhead
- If a mother leaves her child in his cradle and goes away to attend to some family duties, the child immediately understands that his mother has gone away, and therefore he cries. But as soon as the mother returns and cares for the child, the child laughs
- If Krsna and the enemies who harbor feelings of opposition toward Him are respectively the object and abodes of the mellow of laughter, the resulting feelings are called aparasa, opposing mellows
- If some pickpocket takes it and if you capture him, then you give him immediately to the police. And when you come home after hard-earned money, and when your wife takes away, oh, you laugh
- If you adopt me as your old child, probably the visa department will laugh, that what you will do with an old child who is going to die very soon
- If you can remain without marrying, it is better. But because you cannot, you become bachelor daddy, therefore you must marry. (laughter) Please don't become bachelor daddy. (laughter) This is most sinful life
- If you deposit one cent daily, one day it may become a hundred dollars. So when you get the hundred dollars, you can get the business. (laughter) So you come here daily, one cent, one cent... When it will be hundred dollars, you will become a devotee
- In a direct relationship of conjugal love, there is laughter, astonishment, chivalry, lamentation, anger and dread, but there is no ghastliness. These expressions are considered to be the great reservoirs of pleasure
- In darkness at night the only happiness is sleeping and sex, that's all. There is no other happiness. And when there was dark in New York, electricity failed, and so many women became pregnant. (laughs) Yes
- In such a laughing ecstasy of love, Krsna or matters pertaining to Krsna are the cause of the laughter. In such laughing devotional service, there are symptoms of jubilation, laziness, concealed feelings and similar other seemingly disturbing elements
- In the ecstasy of ghastliness in devotional service, feelings of neutral love, laughter or servitude are compatible, whereas feelings of conjugal union and fraternity are incompatible
- In the fourth division of Bhakti-rasamrta-sindhu, Srila Rupa Gosvami has described seven kinds of indirect ecstasies of devotional service, known as laughing, astonishment, chivalry, compassion, anger, dread and ghastliness
- In the universities they say that "What is the wrong if I become an animal?'' I asked them, "Do you like to be animal?'' "Yes.'' "Then all right, next time you become animal. (laughter) This is your I give you this blessing. That's all''
- In this instance there is a mixture of laughter and compassion, but there is no incompatibility because by both of these rasas the loving affection for Krsna is increased
- Indirect devotional service is divided into laughter, compassion, anger, chivalry, dread, astonishment and ghastliness. Devotional service can therefore be divided into twelve types, each of which has a different color
- It is recommended that the yogi visualize the laughter of the Lord after studying His smile very carefully
- Jambavati inquired, "Who is this person who has come with the demigods and is laughing with them?" Kalindi replied, "He is my elder brother, Yamaraja, the superintendent of death"
- Jayananda looks like Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu. (laughter) Yes. He was tall and stout and strong, Caitanya Mahaprabhu. (laughing) Yes. Very good
- Krsna began to look at His mother, while the mendicant, who was standing in the door, tried to hide his smiling face, although he could not do so. He immediately expressed his smiling. In this instance, Krsna Himself is the object of laughing affairs
- Krsna said, "Kindly forbid Her from this devious policy of putting Her face near Mine." When Krsna was speaking like this, the friends of Radharani could not check their laughter. This is an instance of ecstasy in conjugal love
- Lion is supposed to be the king of the forest. Still, he has to work. It is not that a lion will sleep, and some animal will come, "My dear lion, please open your mouth. I shall enter." (laughter) That is not possible
- Lord Rsabhadeva possessed all mystic yoga powers, but He was satisfied with His devotional love of Krsna, which was evinced by the ecstatic symptoms, such as crying, laughing and shivering
- Lord Siva, being extremely angry, pressed his lips with his teeth and immediately snatched from his head a strand of hair which blazed like electricity or fire. He stood up at once, laughing like a madman, and dashed the hair to the ground
- Naked like a madman, sometimes laughing and sometimes crying, he (Lord Siva) smears crematorium ashes all over his body. He does not bathe regularly, and he ornaments his body with a garland of skulls and bones
- Nakula Brahmacari became exactly like a man haunted by a ghost. Thus he sometimes laughed, sometimes cried, sometimes danced and sometimes chanted like a madman
- O King Indra! You plaything of Saci! Why are you laughing? I (Lord Balarama) am now prepared to smash the whole universe, and I know that Krsna will not be angry with Me
- On hearing this sarcastic reply by the talkative Jarati, all the cowherd girls present there began to laugh very loudly and clap their hands. This laughter, accompanied by the clapping of hands, is called atihasita
- On that friendly platform there are different kinds of laughing and joking conversations. An example of such a friendly relationship with Krsna is described in the Srimad-Bhagavatam when Krsna was once thinking
- One day the king asked him, "Gopala, what is the difference between you and an ass?" So he immediately measured the distance from the king. He said, "It is three feet only, sir. The difference is only three feet." So everyone began to laugh
- One should not make the mistake of thinking the world has no existence at all. I really possess my temporary material body and mind, and I must not make myself a laughing stock by denying the existence of my body and mind
- Sankaracarya has described about the seven islands 1,500 years ago. So why the credit should go to Columbus? (laughter) It should go to Sankaracarya
- Sex life is natural. It does not require any university education how to enjoy sex. They will enjoy it. Nobody... "Nobody is taught how to cry or how to laugh or how to enjoy sex life"
- She (one old woman) began to call God, "God, help me." And God came, "What you want?" "Kindly help me to get this bundle on my head." (laughter) Just see. God came to giving benediction, and she wanted to "Give this bundle again on my head"
- So the sparrow decided to dry up the ocean. She began to pick out the water in her small beak, and everyone laughed at her for her impossible determination
- Some minor demigods said, "Krsna, whose joking words were once the source of so much laughter for the residents of Braja, has now been attacked by the serpent king, Kaliya, and He has become the object of everyone's overwhelming lamentation"
- Sometimes he (Narada) would laugh very loudly, sometimes he would cry very loudly, sometimes he would remain silent
- Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu used to lament by saying, "Where is the rasa dance? Where is that dancing, singing, and laughing? Where is My Lord, Madana-mohana, the enchanter of Cupid?"
- Subala's feeling contained a mixture of fraternity and laughter in devotional service. Fraternity is considered here as the whole, and the laughter is considered as the part
- Such mad laughing is an expression of the condition of the heart, which is technically called atta-hasa
- Suppose if I say that "I narrated, I gave a speech in the sun planet and forty millions of years before," you'll laugh: "Oh, Swamiji's speaking some nonsense, that forty millions of years before he spoke this Bhagavad-gita in the sun planet"
- The cowherd boys would come out of the water when they saw their own shadows & stand imitating, making caricatures & laughing. They would also go to an empty well and make loud sounds, and when the echo came back, they would call it ill names and laugh
- The exceptional beauty of the laughter of Lord Visnu is that when He smiles His small teeth, which resemble the buds of jasmine flowers, at once become reddish, reflecting His rosy lips
- The laughing sounds, coming one after another, are compared to flowers falling from the creeper of devotion which grows within the heart of the devotee
- The Lord also delivered the tiny ascetic sages called the Valakhilyas when they fell into the water in a cow's hoofprint and Indra was laughing at them
- The Lord then requested Ramananda Raya, "Keep all these talks a secret. Please do not expose them anywhere and everywhere. Since My activities appear to be like those of a madman, people may take them lightly and laugh"
- The point is that these drawings should be realistic. Not that you make Krishna a cartoon character and therefore laughing stock. And hippy ideas shouldn't be used either
- The remnants of foodstuff left by the husband will be taken by the wife. That means if the husband does not eat, she'll not eat. So those things are now dream only. (laughs) Impossible
- The Supreme Personality of Godhead, who accepts the results of all great sacrifices, was laughing and joking, enjoying lunch with His friends in Vrndavana
- The worshipful Brahma first laughed at their stupidity (they wanted to copulate wih Lord Brahma), but finding the shameless asuras close upon him, he grew indignant and ran in great haste out of fear
- Their only thought is to go out in search of Krsna. When the gopis meet Krsna, the display of their exchanging glances as well as their joking and laughing behavior is called anubhava, or sub-ecstasy in conjugal love
- There are so many so-called sages, that "I live naked. I live in the jungle. I have given up the society." So monkey is doing that. Huh? (laughter) Naked, vegetarian, no home. But the rascal has got at least two dozen wives. That is monkey
- There is another description of the symptoms of intoxication in the person of Sri Radharani after She saw Krsna: sometimes She was walking hither and thither, sometimes She was laughing, sometimes She was covering Her face
- There is no instruction how they are wasting their time, this human form of life, simply by jumping in the water. (laughter) And they are thinking, "I am enjoying, butterfly." You see? They do not know the value of this life
- There is the following example of a mixture of parental love and laughter. A friend of Mother Yasoda told her, "My dear Yasoda, your son has very cunningly stolen a lump of butter from my home"
- They (Cowherd boys) were sometimes lying down on the ground, sometimes rolling in the dust, sometimes laughing and sometimes running very swiftly. All of these symptoms gave them the appearance of madmen
- They (Krsna's son) were very silent and steady, and they used to restrain coughing and laughing before the Lord
- They unanimously agreed, "If you offer your daughter to a degraded family, your aristocracy will be lost. When people hear of this, they will make jokes and laugh at you"
- This is material life. We are rounding sometimes this way, sometimes that way, and we are thinking "new." (devotees laugh) Ei rupe brahmanda bhramite kona
- This is preaching. Flatter, fall down on his feet, and eulogize him, as great intelligent, great rich. then he may little hear. And when he says, "What do you want?" "Now, (laughter) I want this, sir. Whatever rascaldom you have learned, please forget
- This is the nature of loving emotion of a devotee, that he sometimes laughs, sometimes dances, sometimes cries
- Those who are in the mode of goodness think that each and every person is God, and thus they laugh at the pure devotees, who try to engage in the transcendental loving service of the Lord
- To chant the holy name of Krsna one does not need to speculate on the philosophical aspects of the science of God, for one automatically becomes ecstatic and without consideration immediately chants, dances, laughs, cries and sings just like a madman
- Upon hearing this (request of Nanda Maharaja), the palmist began to smile, and Nanda Maharaj asked him, "My dear sir, why are you laughing, and why are you covering your face?"
- Upon hearing this, Mother Yasoda shook her curved eyebrows. She could only look at her friend with a smiling face. May Mother Yasoda bless everyone with this smiling attitude. In this example the whole is the parental love, and the part is the laughter
- Upon seeing these childhood pastimes of Lord Krsna, the gopis would be merged in transcendental bliss. In their enjoyment they would laugh very loudly
- Very strong knot: "Oh, you are mine. I am yours." (laughter) "You are mine. I am yours." In this way they pull on this material life. And then, gradually, "Now we must have good apartment to live and enjoy sex life"
- Vit means stool. Sva-vid-varaha-ustra. Ustra means camel, and khara means ass. So these grhamedhis they have been described as the sva, vid-varaha, ustra, khara. Bhagavata is very strong (laughs) in criticizing
- We cannot expect that our temples will become places of shelter for so many widows and rejected wives, that will be a great burden and we shall become the laughingstock in the society
- We dance, we cry, we chant, we laugh not artificially. But Krsna consciousness is so nice. As you begin to chant, naturally you feel for dancing. So it is not taught artificially. It comes simultaneously with development of Krsna consciousness
- What you will do with money? If there is no grain, then will you eat money? (laughter)
- When a devotee laughs very loudly like a madman, it is done out of an extraordinary agitation of ecstatic love within the heart
- When a smiling person claps his hands and leaps in the air, the smiling expression changes into atihasita, or overwhelming laughter. An example of atihasita was manifested in the following incident
- When all the members of the royal assembly, including King Ugrasena, heard this message (Paundraka inviited Krsna to a battle) sent by Paundraka, they laughed very loudly for a considerable time
- When devotees are engaged in the discharge of bhakti-yoga, sometimes they cry from thinking of Krsna, sometimes they laugh, sometimes they become jubilant
- When everyone laughed, Duryodhana felt very insulted, and his bodily hairs stood up in anger. Being thus insulted, he immediately left the palace, bowing his head. He was silent and did not protest
- When Krsna appeared before the boys, they thought, "Krsna has returned within a minute." They began to laugh, thinking that Krsna was not willing to leave their lunchtime company
- When Krsna was fleeing away from the battlefield, from a distant place Jarasandha was watching Him with restless eyes and was feeling very proud. Being thus puffed up with his conquest, he was repeatedly laughing. This is an example of aparasa
- When Kubja caught hold of Krsna's yellow garment because she was feeling almost lusty with sex urge, Krsna simply bowed down His head with His cheeks glowing in front of the many people who were standing there and laughing
- When Lord Krsna disclosed their disguise, King Jarasandha laughed very loudly, and then in great anger and in a grave voice he exclaimed, "You fools! If you want to fight with me, I immediately grant your request"
- When Madhavendra Puri was overwhelmed in the ecstasy of love of Godhead, he sometimes stood up and sometimes fell to the ground. Sometimes he laughed, danced and sang. In this way he enjoyed transcendental bliss by seeing the Jagannatha Deity
- When present before Krsna, they (Krsna's sons) bowed down on the ground. They were very silent and steady, and they used to restrain coughing and laughing before the Lord
- When Sri Krsna blocked Radharani's way to the dana-ghati, there was laughter within Her heart. Her eyes grew bright, and fresh tears flowed from Her eyes, reddening them
- When the kings of the Yadu dynasty heard the taunt they laughed at him, and Garga Muni became angry at the Yadu kings. He decided that he would produce someone who would be very fearful to the Yadu dynasty
- When the Supreme Lord is laughing, one can see His small teeth, which resemble jasmine buds rendered rosy by the splendor of His lips. Once devoting his mind to this, the yogi should no longer desire to see anything else
- When they (the gopis) saw Krsna returning, all their anxieties were immediately relieved, and they began to look at His face the way drones hover over the honey of the lotus flower. When Krsna entered the village, the young gopis smiled and laughed
- When through devotional service a laughing attachment to Krsna is developed, it is called hasya-bhakti-rasa by learned scholars
- While Krsna was joking in this way with the damsels of Braja, who with great hope had come to enjoy the rasa dance with Him, Subala was also on the scene, and he began to look at Krsna with wide and laughing eyes
- While Sarvabhauma Bhattacarya was in this ecstasy, Gopinatha Acarya was very pleased. The associates of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu all laughed to see the Bhattacarya dance so
- While traveling, I (Vidyadhara, the serpent) saw a great sage named Angira. He was very ugly, and because I was very proud of my beauty, I laughed at him. Due to this sinful act, I was condemned by the great sage to assume the form of a serpent
- While walking, the (cowherd) boys sometimes imitated the quacking sound of the swans in the lakes, or when they saw the peacocks dancing, they imitated them before Krsna. Krsna also moved His neck, imitating the dancing and making His friends laugh
- With a laugh full of deep significance, the worshipful Brahma evolved by his own loveliness, which seemed to enjoy itself by itself, the hosts of Gandharvas and Apsaras
- With devotion steeped in love and affection, the yogi should meditate within the core of his heart upon the laughter of Lord Visnu. The laughter of Visnu is so captivating that it can be easily meditated upon
- With the ecstasy of anger in devotional service a mixture of compassion or chivalry is compatible, whereas a mixture of laughter, conjugal union or dread is completely incompatible
- With the ecstasy of chivalry in devotional service a mixture of conjugal union, laughter or anger is always incompatible
- With the ecstasy of compassion in devotional service a mixture of anger or parental love is compatible, whereas a mixture of laughter, conjugal love or astonishment is always incompatible
- With the ecstasy of devotion in conjugal love a mixture of laughter or fraternity is compatible
- With the ecstasy of devotional chivalry a mixture of astonishment, laughter or servitude is compatible, whereas a mixture of dread or conjugal love is incompatible
- With the ecstasy of devotional laughter a mixture of dread, conjugal love or parental love is compatible, whereas a mixture of compassion or ghastliness is incompatible
- With the ecstasy of fraternal love a mixture of conjugal love, laughter or chivalry is highly compatible. With the same fraternal love, a mixture of dread or parental love is most incompatible
- Without taking to the devotional service, life is very, very risky. Risky means now we can dance and laugh because we have got this human form of life. But after death we do not know. We do not know unless we are very much cautious
- Yes, I am still brave. (laughter) Otherwise how could I come alone to preach Krsna consciousness? I am still brave
- Yes, if I ask my servant that "You ask me to get up at seven o'clock," that does not mean.... (laughter)
- You are all chanting sixteen rounds? No? (laughs)
- You are not thinking it is hellish? This is hellish planet. What do you mean by hellish planet? Especially this London, (laughter) always dark and moist, and what do you want more, hellish?
- You should keep your wife always covered. (laughter) Don't allow this miniskirt or minishirt. (laughter) According to Vedic civilization, respectable woman cannot be seen even by the sun
- You'll see Krsna as lion when He'll ultimately come and capture you, "Ow!" (laughter) That is death. Atheist will see Krsna as death, and theist, devotee, will see Krsna as lover. Hare Krsna