Collaborate with us to invoke and fully manifest Srila Prabhupada's Vani-presence.
except | excepted | excepting
This category has the following 3 subcategories, out of 3 total.
Pages in category "Except"
The following 117 pages are in this category, out of 117 total.
- A devotee cannot execute the order of anyone except the Supreme Personality of Godhead. This is the position of a devotee. Hiranyakasipu could understand that this boy (Prahlada) must have been very powerful, since the boy did not heed his orders
- A devotee does not see anything except in its relationship with Krsna, and therefore his realization is the most perfect of all
- A devotee should not expect immediate relief from the reactions of his past misdeeds. No conditioned soul is free from such reactionary experiences because material existence means continued suffering or enjoying of past activities
- A learned man treats all women except his wife as his mother, looks on others' property as garbage in the street, and treats others as he would treat his own self
- A woman cannot be naked before any male except her husband. The unmarried gopis desired Krsna as their husband, and He fulfilled their desire in this way
- According to this view, except for these two humors, all other manifestations are taken as incompatible with conjugal love
- Actually in the West there is now no culture, and no brain even for what is the purpose of life. American civilization is finished, except that it can be saved if it takes to Krsna Consciousness
- Addressing Mucukunda, the demigod requested him to ask any benediction he might be pleased with, except the benediction of liberation
- After the Battle of Kuruksetra the state treasury was exhausted, and therefore there was no surplus fund except the fund from tax collection and fines. Such funds were sufficient only for the state budget
- Akrura continued, "My dear Lord, I offer my respectful obeisances unto You because You are beyond the influence of the three modes. Except for You, everyone is being carried away by the waves of these modes"
- All acts performed by the living entity - except those with transcendental results - are self-created engagements arising from an abuse of the free will
- All living entities within this material world except for Lord Siva are swayed by maya. Lord Siva is therefore neither visnu-tattva nor jiva-tattva. He is between the two
- All other business, he will remember, but when he is requested to become Krsna conscious, to understand Krsna, he doesn't like it. Except Krsna consciousness, he will take all responsibility and work hard for that purpose
- All other religions except the one that is known as sanatana-dharma are meant for the culturing of physical or psychological effects
- All the religions of the world - except the Buddhists - have a program for killing animals in places of worship
- An outsider has no right to put any question because he is not surrendered. And a spiritual master is not obliged to answer anyone except to his disciple. This is the Vedic way
- And His lotus feet are the refuge of pure devotees who never talk or sing of any subject except His Lordship
- And so far we are concerned, we don't talk anything, except what is mentioned in the books. That's all. We remain always foolish. And as foolish men, we do not talk. We simply talk what is mentioned by Vyasadeva, by Sukadeva Gosvami
- Any desire except for the service of the Lord is called material desire. And philosophical speculation refers to the sort of speculation which ultimately arrives at a conclusion of voidism or impersonalism
- Any food cooked more than three hours before it is eaten (except prasadam, food offered to the Lord) is considered to be in the mode of darkness. Because they are decomposing, such foods give a bad odor, which often attracts people in this mode
- As with the naked eye one cannot know the sun except as a glowing substance, merely by philosophical speculation one cannot understand Lord Krsna's transcendental varieties
- At the present moment, the leaders of thought and the people in general have decided mistakenly that there is no other world except the one in which we live - that all peace and prosperity are available here
- Because I am part and parcel of Krsna, so everything belongs to Krsna. Therefore, with my hands, with my legs, with my eyes, I cannot do anything except serving Krsna
- Because we are always very busy in the discharge of our worldly duties, generally we do not wish to understand any philosophy except our mundane philosophy of the stomach and allied subjects
- Bhagavad-gita is not meant for anyone else except the devotee. Bhagavan Sri Krsna could explain this Bhagavad-gita to the jnanis, to the yogis, to the karmis. But why He selected Arjuna?
- Bhakti is not applicable anywhere except in relationship with the Supreme Personality of Godhead. That is bhakti
- Both by rising and setting, the sun decreases the duration of life of everyone except one who utilizes the time by discussing topics of the all-good Personality of Godhead
- Brahmaji previously told Narada that the desires of Brahmaji are never unfulfilled because he is always absorbed in the transcendental loving service of the Lord; nor has he any desire in his heart save and except the transcendental service of the Lord
- Demigods such as Brahma and Siva are incarnations of the material qualities, which are also emanations from the body of Narayana. Actually, there was no one existing before the creation except Narayana, the Supreme Personality of Godhead
- Don’t eat anything which is not eaten by Krsna - your tongue becomes your most intimate friend. And don’t talk anything except Krsna. If you follow these two principles, Krsna will be within your grip
- Except for a few persons in Krsna consciousness, the entire world is full of such envious persons, who are perpetually full of anxieties because they are attached to the material body and are without self-realization
- Except for an animal killer or one who is following a policy of suicide, every intelligent person must strive to understand Krsna and His activities
- Except for bhakti-yoga, any method for realization of atma-tattva, or the science of atma, will prove deceptive in the long run
- Except for Him (The Supreme Lord), all living entities, from Brahma down to the ant, are conquered by the contact of material nature
- Except for Sisupala, those who go against the regulative principles cannot attain salvation and are surely destined for hellish life. The regulative principle is that one must always think of Krsna, whether as a friend or enemy
- Except for the madhyama-adhikari and uttama-adhikari discussed above, no one can correctly see the spiritual position of a living being
- Except for work in Krsna consciousness, all activities are abominable because they continually bind the worker to the cycle of birth and death
- Except in a time of emergency, lower persons should not accept the occupational duties of those who are higher. When there is such an emergency, of course, everyone but the ksatriya may accept the means of livelihood of others
- Except in relationship to Vedic mantras, seniority is determined by age, but one may offer respectful obeisances even to a younger person who is advanced in chanting Vedic mantras
- Except Krsna Consciousness or Bhagavata Dharma or religion of the Bhagavata, any other system of religion is only pretension, that is the fact
- Except the five Pandava brothers, everyone died on the Battlefield of Kuruksetra
- He (one who is on the path of liberation by Krsna consciousness) does not like to hear anything except topics relating to Krsna; he does not like to eat anything which is not offered to Krsna; and he does not wish to go anywhere if Krsna is not involved
- Here is the university, where is the school, college, to teach this science how one can become uncontaminated? There is no such institution except this Krsna consciousness movement
- I am the servant of the servant of the servant of Krsna - That is purification. Then desire. Then you'll not desire anything except Krsna's service. That is perfection
- I have nothing to serve, I have nobody to serve except Krsna
- I know you are always eager to help me in all respects, and what can I do for you except pray to Krishna that you become more and more advanced in Krishna Consciousness along with your very, very good husband
- I never asked my Spiritual Master one question except one: "How shall I serve you?"
- I wish sincerely that except for husband and wife, everyone should live separately, man separate from woman, and woman separate from man
- In the Caitanya-caritamrta it is said that except for persons in Krsna consciousness, everyone is always disturbed in mind and full of anxiety
- It is my personal opinion that at the present moment except for a few persons, practically there is no man in the world who is strictly religionist, Hindu, Moslem, Christian, Buddhist
- It is stated in the Bhagavad-gita that the impersonal Brahman effulgence is also an emanation from the Absolute Personality of Godhead Sri Krsna. The parama-purusa cannot be anyone except Sri Krsna Himself
- It is very difficult to.... Sarva-dharman - everything to give up, except Krsna. They are proud if they are little rich. And America is very proud. They are trying to accumulate money, and we are trying.... We say, "Give up this nonsense"
- It would not be possible for me to preach all over the world except for your cooperation, you and your Godbrothers and sisters who are maintaining centers all over the world
- Krsna ccontinued, "My devotees never desire anything from Me except to be engaged in My service. And yet because they are completely dependent upon Me, even if they are found to ask something from Me, that is not material"
- Krsna did not reply to even a single accusation made by Sisupala, but all the members except few, present in the meeting were very much agitated because it is the duty of any respectable person not to tolerate blasphemy against God or His devotee
- One should know that "I will have simply Krsna, nothing more." Then he is sannyasi. This mentality, that "I have nothing to serve, I have nobody to serve except Krsna." But if you serve Krsna, you will serve everyone
- Only misers desire to enjoy the fruit of their own work just to be further entangled in material bondage. Except for work in Krsna consciousness, all activities are abominable because they continually bind the worker to the cycle of birth and death
- Our experience is that such big men will not help us - except if there is some rare soul like Mr. George Harrison, and they must be guided also by our personally contacting them again and again and slowly build-up the relationship
- Persons who are materialistic and always engaged in fruitive activities for material profit cannot endure seeing the flourishing life of others. Except for a few persons in Krsna consciousness, the entire world is full of such envious persons
- Promise that "I shall not talk anything except Krsna's message," and if you promise that "I shall not take anything which is not offered to Krsna," these two things, this prasadam and chanting, will make you perfect to understand Krsna
- Regarding the remarks of Prof. Jean Herbert, in Bhagavad-gita we find no instruction except devotional service or bhakti yoga
- Ruci means you will simply hanker after spiritual things. You won't like to hear anything except spiritual message. You won't like to do anything except spiritual activities. You won't like to eat anything which is not spiritualized
- Sankirtana is our life and soul, and if we execute this transcendental business in all earnestness, then there will be no difficulty in any way. We should not pray to Krishna anything except to ask to engage in His service
- Sarva-dvarani samyamya. Just like these boys, they do not go to see cinema, they do not go to restaurant. This is sarva-dvarani samyamya. You see? They do not go to anywhere except in the temple. They do not talk anything nonsense, except Krsna
- So far as stealing is concerned, one should not steal except in the rarest circumstances. Moral principle is recommended in all scriptures as prerequisite for spiritual culture
- So if you engage your tongue for vibrating this transcendental sound, Hare Krsna Hare Krsna Krsna Krsna Hare Hare - Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare, and do not take anything except prasadam of Krsna, then your spiritual life immediately begins
- Some of the asuras, or demons, such as Ravana and Hiranyakasipu, also underwent a severe process of austerity and penance, but they obtained nothing except some temporary objects of sensory pleasure
- Some of the asuras, or demons, such as Ravana and Hiranyakasipu, underwent a severe process of austerity and penance, but they obtained nothing except some temporary objects of sensory pleasure
- Such eternal vayasyas are also found beyond the jurisdiction of Vrndavana, in places such as Dvaraka and Hastinapura. Except for Vrndavana, all the places of Krsna's pastimes are called puras
- Sudama thought, "He (Krsna) also respects the brahmanas so much that He embraced to His chest such a poor brahmana as me, although He never embraces anyone to His chest except the goddess of fortune"
- Sundarananda Prabhu was a naisthika-brahmacari: he never married in his life. Therefore he had no direct descendants except his disciples, but the descendants of his family still reside in the village known as Mangaladihi in the district of Birbhum
- The animal propensity - he is seeing his wife daily naked, and still he is going to see naked dance, and paying some fees. Because they have no engagement except this animalism. Is it not?
- The back cover pictures "1510-1970" has impressed me very much. I do now know who is making these layouts, but the things are being done nicely. Except for the face of the type everything else is done perfectly
- The basic Vedic injunctions never allow a person to enjoy sex with any woman except his own wife. Krsna's appreciation of the gopis appeared to be distinctly in violation of these rules
- The demigod Varuna presented a horse, which was all white except for black ears and which could run at the speed of the mind
- The demon (Aghasura) was awaiting Krsna's entrance, and he was thinking, "Everyone has entered except Krsna, who has killed my brother and sister"
- The devotee does not know anyone except Lord Krsna, and Krsna is most affectionate to His devotee
- The entire world is active, and this includes the karmis, the jnanis, the yogis and the bhaktas. However, all activities except those of the bhaktas, the devotees, end in bafflement and a waste of time and energy
- The first thing is that nobody should enter my room for any other purpose except cleansing. Nobody can stay there or sleep there or anything
- The gigantic universal form is called the Visvarupa incarnation of Maha-sankarsana. Thus we do not find anything within this cosmic manifestation except the Lord Himself
- The gopis are so fortunate that during the rasa-lila Krsna personally embraced them with His arms and kissed them face to face. Certainly it is not possible for any women in the three worlds to achieve this except the gopis
- The inhabitants of the earth cannot move even to the nearest planet except by mechanical vehicles like spacecraft, but the highly talented inhabitants of such higher planets can do everything very easily
- The inhabitants of Vrndavana, Vrajabhumi, are living examples of devotional service. Theirs is ideal devotional service with attachment, and such devotion cannot be found anywhere except Vrndavana
- The most intelligent devotees do not take to any means of self-realization except devotional service and constant engagement in the nine different processes of devotional life, especially hearing and chanting
- The parakiya-rasa of the spiritual world should not be discussed except by one who is very advanced in pure devotional service. The parakiya-rasa in the spiritual world and that in the material world are not comparable
- The position of santah, always seeing Krsna. He does not see anything else except Krsna everywhere, but in everything, everywhere, the energy of Krsna
- The scriptures must be transcendental. Nonsense scripture, and people become nonsense. So except Vedic literature, all nonsense scripture. They are not scripture. Manufactured
- The transcendentalist does not desire to achieve any profit, adoration, or distinction. He desires no gain whatever, except to be engaged in the transcendental service of Godhead - because simply by such service, he gains all
- There is no auspicious activity except arcana of the Lord. Jnana and yoga are sometimes accepted within the purview of arcana when the ultimate aim is Visnu, and not otherwise
- There is no difference between the bodily forms of Sri Krsna and Balarama except that Their bodily colors are different. Similarly, Sri Narayana in Vaikuntha has four hands, whereas Krsna has only two
- There is no more para-tattva, superior source, except Krsna. This Krsna consciousness movement is therefore..., we are trying to place before the civilized human society that the adi-purusa, the original Supreme Personality of Godhead
- There is no other consciousness except Krsna consciousness. And that is spiritual
- There is nothing more sinful than untruthfulness. Because of this, mother earth once said, "I can bear any heavy thing except a person who is a liar"
- They (the cows and boys) said, "Our dear friend Krsna, we are Your intimate friends. It is not right that we should suffer in this way. We are all completely dependent on You, & You are the knower of all religious life. We do not know anyone except You"
- They (the inhabitants of Dvaraka) knew that Krsna, being the Supreme Personality of Godhead, was sometimes visited by the demigods, so while Satrajit was visiting the city of Dvaraka all the inhabitants except Krsna took him to be the sun-god himself
- They are going to the naked dance club, the sex ananda. Because in the material world there is no ananda except this
- They have nothing to do there except to render transcendental loving service to the Supreme Lord Narayana, who is the predominating Deity of such Vaikuntha planets. Those liberated souls are engaged incessantly in singing songs mentioned in the Sama Veda
- This Krsna consciousness movement, you can take it as a religious movement, bhagavata-dharma. This is the only dharma, bhagavata-dharma. Except bhagavata-dharma, any other dharma, so-called dharma, is cheating. That is not dharma
- Those who are in the renounced order of life and dedicated to the mission of preaching the message of Godhead should learn that they have no business with householders save and except to enlighten them in transcendental knowledge
- Those who see everything in the Lord or everything of the Lord and also see in everything an eternal relation of the Lord, so that there is nothing within their purview of sight except the Lord, are called the maha-bhagavatas
- Tongue should be used always for glorifying the Supreme Lord. That is our business with the tongue. And the tongue should not be allowed to eat anything except krsna-prasada. Then you become liberated, simply by controlling the tongue
- We are becoming very much fond of animals, so Krsna will or nature will make some arrangement that you cannot eat except animals. That day will come
- We are exceeding all material authors except Vyasadeva
- We are preaching Krsna consciousness amongst the people who are interested in material subject matter. But we are not associating with them. We are associating with Krsna, because we don't talk anything except Krsna
- We cannot expect him (the sadhu) to give us instructions on how to improve our material condition, but he will give us instructions on how to cut the knot of the contamination of material attraction and how to elevate ourselves in devotional service
- We should not distribute anyone else's book except our own
- What is the caste system? There is no caste system. Everyone is sudra. Who is a brahmana now, qualified, except one or two in our camp?
- When everything is employed in the service of the Lord, we can experience that there is nothing except the Supreme Brahman. The Vedic mantra that "everything is Brahman" is thus realized by us