Collaborate with us to invoke and fully manifest Srila Prabhupada's Vani-presence.
Buddha | Buddha's
- Please also see the Vanipedia article Buddha: A Vaisnava Perspective
This category has the following 11 subcategories, out of 11 total.
- ► Appearance of Lord Buddha (20 P)
- ► Lord Buddha's Preaching (19 P)
- ► Nirvana and Buddha's Philosophy (12 P)
Pages in category "Buddha"
The following 128 pages are in this category, out of 128 total.
- According to Lord Buddha, his theory is that due to the combination of material elements, this body has come into existence. Now, some way or other, if these material elements are separated or dismantled, then the cause of distress is removed
- As described by Srila Jayadeva Gosvami in his Dasavatara-stotra, Lord Buddha apparently decried the Vedic knowledge
- Buddha and animal sacrifice
- Buddha and animal slaughter
- Buddha and Jesus
- Buddha avatara
- Devotees of Lord Buddha
- Lord Buddha and animal killing
- Lord Buddha and Lord Jesus Christ were in this group of saktyavesa avatara
- Lord Buddha as a saktyavesa-avatara
- Lord Buddha came to cheat the atheists
- Lord Buddha did not...
- Lord Buddha was a prince
- Lord Buddha's mission was to stop animal sacrifice and animal killing
- Lord Buddha's renunciation
- Lord Buddha's teaching
- People may question that "Lord Buddha is accepted as an incarnation of Lord Krsna. Then why he preached atheistic philosophy?"
- Take Lord Jesus Christ or Krsna or Mohammed or Lord Buddha. Nobody has said that "You will be happy in this material world."
- The Buddhists, they are called nastika according to our sastra, because Lord Buddha denied the authority of the Vedas
- According to the Buddhists' fifth principle, Lord Buddha is the only source for the attainment of knowledge. We cannot accept this, for Lord Buddha rejected the principles of Vedic knowledge
- After Buddha, His Holiness Sankaracarya appeared to drive away Buddhism, and he established again Vedic religion. But that Vedic religion, being impersonal, that is also not Vedic religion
- Akrura continued, "Let me offer my respectful obeisances unto You (krsna), who appear as Vasudeva, Sankarsana, Pradyumna and Aniruddha. Let me offer my respectful obeisances unto You, who appear as Lord Buddha to bewilder the atheistic and demoniac"
- All great sages of the world - like Lord Krishna, Lord Buddha, Lord Christ, Hazrat Mohammed, Acarya Sankara, Acarya Ramanuja, Lord Caitanya - all lived for enlightening men in this culture of human spirit
- Anyone who does not accept the spiritual form of the Supreme Lord is counted among the atheists. Because Lord Buddha did not accept these Vedic principles, the Vedic teachers consider him an atheist
- Atheists do not want any God, and Lord Buddha therefore said that there is no God, but he adopted the means to instruct his followers for their benefit
- Be master of something. It doesn't differ. Either you follow Lord Jesus Christ or Lord Buddha or Krsna, it doesn't matter much. But do it perfectly. That is our request
- Because he does not accept the authority of the Vedas, Lord Buddha is depicted as an agnostic or atheist
- Because the people became atheist, so Lord Buddha, just to take them under his control, he also collaborated and said, "Yes, there is no God, but you hear me." But he is incarnation of God
- Bharata Maharaja left his kingdom and Lord Buddha left his kingdom - these are all different attempts to get out of Maya's influence. But our philosophy is that things employed in Krsna's service have no more influence of Maya
- Bodha means knowledge, and budha means one who possesses knowledge. So those who are devotees of Krsna, they are not rascals. They are not rascals. They are budhah. Not only budhah, but also bhava-samanvitah
- Buddha had to deny the existence of the soul because their brain will not tolerate such things. Therefore he did not say anything about the soul or God. He said that "You stop animal killing." If I pinch you, you feel pain. So why give pain to others?
- Buddha knew everything because He is incarnation of God. But He had to cheat the people in that way because they are not intelligent enough. Why not intelligent? Because they were killers of animals, they lost their intelligence
- Buddha means "one who knows, in perfect awareness"
- Buddha preached nonviolence, taking pity on the poor animals. He preached that he did not believe in the tenets of the Vedas and stressed the adverse psychological effects incurred by animal-killing
- Buddha religion is different from Vedic religion, because he rejected Vedas. And the Vedic followers, because he rejected Vedic principles, Vedic followers said that he, "You are nastika." Nastika means unbeliever
- Buddha's activities and Krsna's activities, there is difference. Buddha's activity was different because, according to the place, according to the time, according to the audience, the activities are... Avatara, incarnation, comes when there is necessity
- Buddha's philosophy: zero, sunyavadi; and Sankara's philosophy: nirvisesa-vadi, impersonal. So we defy these, nirvisesa-sunyavadi. But we have got all respect for them
- Buddhism, actually, they do not believe in God, but they have love for Lord Buddha
- Buddhist philosophy is direct renunciation of material life but they have no information of spiritual reality because the followers of Lord Buddha were more materialistic
- Datyatreya, Prthu and Dhanvantari are yellowish; Lord Buddha is flesh colored; Yajna is bluish; Mohini is extraordinarily beautiful woman. There is no comparison to her beauty, so much so that Lord Siva is captivated by her beauty
- Dharma, it cannot be changed. Either you are Hindu, either you are Muslim, either you are Christian, either you are Buddha, the dharma, the implication of the word dharma, that you cannot change
- Either you believe Buddha or Jesus Christ or Krsna. Do something. Don't talk simply
- Either you follow Christianity or Vedic principle of Mohammedan religion or even Buddha religion, there is conception of God. There is an attempt to understand God. That is human society
- Either you say Jesus Christ or Krsna or Lord Buddha or Hazrat Muhammad or anyone, all of them have come to give you information for spiritual advancement of life, not for any material advancement of life. That is intelligence
- Either you select Buddha or Lenin or somebody else, you have to accept one leader and follow
- First of all the Buddha wanted to make them sinless, "Don't kill"
- For the atheist class, Lord Buddha preached atheism so that they would follow him and thus be tricked into devotional service to Lord Buddha, or Krsna
- From God's side there is always an attempt to make the people right. As soon as they're wrongly directed, some messenger comes like Jesus Christ or Buddha or, before Him, Lord Krsna
- He (Lord Caitanya) considered the Sankarites, who wanted to establish Vedic authority by trickery and who actually followed the Mayavada philosophy of Buddha's school, to be more dangerous than the Buddhists themselves
- His (Buddha) mission was to stop animal-killing. Therefore he had to reject the Vedic principles, because in the Vedic principle, in the sacrifice, there is recommendation sometimes
- His (Lord Buddha's) philosophy is meant for bewildering the atheists and should not be accepted. If someone asks, "Why should Krsna propagate atheistic principles"
- I think there will be no objection even by the Buddhists if we simply ask them to chant the name of Lord Buddha in the systematic way
- If you can preach Lord Buddha or Krsna, it doesn't matter. I have already explained Lord Buddha is expansion of Krsna
- In answer to this argument, Rupa Gosvami says that the followers of Buddha cannot be accepted as devotees
- In the beginning of Kali-yuga, the Lord will appear as Lord Buddha, the son of Anjana, in the province of Gaya, just for the purpose of deluding those who are envious of the faithful theist (SB 1.3.24)
- In the Buddhist sastras Lord Buddha advises that one achieve nirvana by giving up the materialistic way of life. In the Bible, which is also sastra, one will find the same advice: one should cease materialistic life and return to the kingdom of God
- In the sense that they do not belong to disciplic succession, in that sense Christ, Buddha, and the others are not bona fide. But because they have got some special power we accept them as bona fide
- In the Vedas there is sometimes recommendation, not for killing, but for giving rejuvenation to an animal. But killing, in that sense, is there for sacrifice. But Lord Buddha did not accept even animal killing in sacrifice
- Instead of being pleased that Lord Krsna had come, they began to pray for Lord Buddha, who is the ninth incarnation, because Lord Buddha stopped the ritualistic ceremonies and sacrifices recommended in the Vedas in order to discourage animal killing
- Jayadeva Gosvami sung as follows: "He (Krsna) has annihilated all the atheistic persons in the form of Kalki. And He has saved all the poor animals in the form of Lord Buddha"
- Jesus Christ and Lord Buddha have said like that just to try to make this man dispossess... Unless he is penniless, he will not take to God
- Less intelligent men of the age of Kali, who had no faith in God, followed Lord Buddha's principle, and for the time being they were trained in moral discipline and nonviolence, the preliminary steps for proceeding further on the path of God realization
- Lord Buddha also emphasized ahimsa paramadharma "the highest religion is nonviolence.'' So these instructions are for the sinful men. When one is pious, instead of being sinful, he is promoted to the higher planetary systems
- Lord Buddha appeared in the family of a high-grade ksatriya king, but his philosophy was not in accord with the Vedic conclusions and therefore was rejected
- Lord Buddha declined to accept the Vedic principles because there was no other way to stop. If he would have accepted Vedic principles, then these animal-killers would have shown him evidences that in the Vedas there is mention of animal-killing
- Lord Buddha deluded the atheists because such atheists who followed his principles did not believe in God, but they kept their absolute faith in Lord Buddha, who himself was the incarnation of God
- Lord Buddha did not give any information about the soul, but if one follows his instructions strictly, he will ultimately become free from the material coverings and attain nirvana
- Lord Buddha directly denied the authority of the Vedas, and he established his own religion. Only for this reason, the Buddhist religion was not accepted by the strict followers of the Vedas
- Lord Buddha had to introduce the religion of nonviolence by contradicting the Vedic sacrificial instructions
- Lord Buddha is accepted as an incarnation of Krsna in the Srimad-Bhagavatam, but in the same Srimad-Bhagavatam it is stated that Lord Buddha appeared in order to bewilder the atheist class of men
- Lord Buddha is the incarnation of Godhead. As such, he is the original propounder of Vedic knowledge. He therefore cannot reject Vedic philosophy
- Lord Buddha is very nice. He gave up his kingdom in youthful life. He was prince. He thought, "It is all nonsense. Let me meditate." Do like that. That is the disease
- Lord Buddha knew that they cannot meditate. But in order to stop their nonsense, he simply said, "Sit down. Meditate." That's all
- Lord Buddha propagated ahimsa. Ahimsa. Because he saw the whole human race is going to hell by this animal killing. "Let me stop them so that they may, in future, they may become sober"
- Lord Buddha propagated, "Yes, there is no God. But what I say, you follow." "Yes, sir." But he is God. This is cheating. Yes. They do not believe in God, but they believe in Buddha, and Buddha is God
- Lord Buddha said, "All right, there is no God, but you surrender to me." Then where is the difference? That means one has to accept the authority of God either this way or that way
- Lord Buddha said, "Meditate," but the followers of the Lord Buddha could not. They failed. We are giving new light, that "Meditation will fail. You take this"
- Lord Buddha said, "Yes, there is no God. There is no God. There is void only. But you believe me, what I say." Just see. He is incarnation of God, and the people amongst whom he is preaching, to them he is saying, "There is no God," but he is God
- Lord Buddha wanted to stop completely animal-killing; so therefore he adopted a new type of religion. But those who were followers of Vedic religion, they did not accept because that is not religion because it is against the Vedas
- Lord Buddha, he cheated the demons. Why he cheated? Sadaya-hrdaya darsita-pasu-ghatam. He was very compassionate. God is always sympathetic to all living entities because everyone is His son
- Lord Buddha, he was nonviolent, and this Jawaharlal Nehru was observing Buddha-jayanti and at the same time sanctioning cow-killing. What is that?
- Lord Buddha, we have to accept him as an authority, Lord Buddha. Now, he gives you idea that no misery. So how do you accept these words of Lord Buddha?
- Lord Buddha... Ahimsa paramo dharmah is also Vedic religion, but they stressed especially on ahimsa
- Lord Buddha’s intention was to stop atheists from committing the sin of killing animals. Atheists cannot understand God; therefore Lord Buddha appeared and spread the philosophy of nonviolence to keep the atheists from killing animals
- Narada Muni did not directly deprecate the value of performing sacrifices in which animals are sacrificed. Lord Buddha, however, directly rejected all animal sacrifice
- Nirvana means material desires, to make it void, no more. Lord Buddha said up to that. Because the people who were following him, they were not so expert, advanced, therefore he did not say what is after giving up every desire
- People will be surprised that Lord Buddha is designated as atheist and still the Vaisnavas, they are offering their respectful prayers to Lord Visnu (Buddha)
- Practically, this Yogananda has no philosophy or authority; he simply drags in Buddha, Jesus Christ, Gandhi, and whoever else he can think to put, so that whatever you like, it is in his shop
- Teachings of Christ, teaching of Buddha, they are meant for a particular type of men. Generally it is meant for everyone, but specifically for a particular type of men
- The Bhagavata says that although in the Buddha religion there is no, I mean to say, mention of worshiping God, but Lord Buddha is himself incarnation of God, and he induced his followers to worship him
- The faithless people were made to believe in God in the form of Lord Buddha. That was the mercy of Lord Buddha: he made the faithless faithful to him
- The Lord's empowered incarnation Narada and plenary incarnation Varaha, as well as indirectly empowered Lord Buddha, created faith in the mass of people
- The principles of nirvana, as recommended by Lord Buddha, are also meant for ending the miserable life of material existence
- The so-called religionists were falsely using the Vedas to justify such violent acts as meat-eating, and Lord Buddha came to lead the fallen people away from such a false interpretation of the Vedas
- The Supreme Personality of Godhead is the origin of everything. Everything is emanating from Him. When one understands this fact, he becomes budha, or intelligent. And when one is actually intelligent, budha, bhava-samanvitah
- The Supreme Personality of Godhead, out of His six opulences, one opulence is renouncement. So Lord Buddha's life is renouncement
- The ways and means were envisaged by the liberated souls and especially by the sages of India, and I am proud to feel that Lord Buddha happened to be an Indian and we worship Him as incarnation of Godhead
- There is no question of God in Buddha's philosophy. But fortunately or unfortunately, they are worshiping Lord Buddha
- These acaryas who do not follow the Vedic principles are presently known as the arya-samajas, or the Jains. Not only do they not follow the Vedic principles, but they have no relationship with Lord Buddha
- These atheists, they have been taught to worship the form of Lord Buddha, and Buddha is incarnation of Krsna, so one day they will be delivered. But these rascals (Mayavadis) will never be delivered
- They were so low-grade people, simply taking pleasure in animal killing. So in order to elevate them, Lord Buddha wanted to stop this nonsense: "Please stop killing"
- We are glad that people are taking interest in the nonviolent movement of Lord Buddha. But will they take the matter very seriously and close the animal slaughterhouses altogether?
- We feel pain when someone disturbs us, and therefore we should not inflict pain upon other living beings. Lord Buddha's mission was to stop unnecessary animal killing, and therefore he preached that the greatest religious principle is nonviolence
- We have great respect for Lord Jesus Christ. We accept him as powerful incarnation of Krishna, as much as we accept Lord Buddha
- We know that within 2000 years of human history no sages including Jesus Christ, prophet Mohammed, Lord Buddha, Acarya Sankara, Madhya, Ramanuja or even Lord Caitanya gave any importance to materialistic way of living
- When a jiva tattva becomes specifically empowered by the Lord, he is called saktyavesa avatara. Lord Buddha and Lord Jesus Christ were in this group of saktyavesa avatara.. But they were not in conditioned state when they appeared; they came to teach
- When I say Lord Buddha cheated, we don't mean that Lord Buddha was a cheater like ordinary man. No. He had to accept some means to lead them to God worship
- When the atheists annihilate inhabitants of different planets, flying unseen in the sky on well-built rockets prepared by the great scientist Maya, the Lord will bewilder their minds by dressing Himself attractively as Buddha